PDA

View Full Version : FCS total offense

ASUG8
November 6th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Interesting that our #1 team is #52 in the country in total offense.

http://www.ncaa.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/ncaa-m-footbl-fcs-team-total-offense.html

ASU_MBA
November 6th, 2009, 10:42 AM
They are 16th in D which helps.....I still think their O needs to step up for them to win another ring because the D is not the same D they had last year....

JMUNJ08
November 6th, 2009, 10:44 AM

http://www.ncaa.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/ncaa-m-footbl-fcs-team-total-offense.html

Fordham is 2nd at 3-5 and JMU has only 130 or so yards fewer than Richmond. Shows that it really is a team game and the O doesn't necessarily mean everything.

ASUG8
November 6th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Fordham is 2nd at 3-5 and JMU has only 130 or so yards fewer than Richmond. Shows that it really is a team game and the O doesn't necessarily mean everything.

Oh, I know that but I would have expected them to be at least top 20 or so. It's no intended slight to the Spider faithful, because clearly what they're doing is working.

bigchocolate
November 6th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Spider Defense...Last year...again in 2009!

james_lawfirm
November 6th, 2009, 10:50 AM

It took me a while re-reading your post to figure out that "our #1 team" means Richmond. But, yes, you're right that the #1 team in the polls is #52 in terms of total offense shown on that chart. They must have a heck of a D.

From that chart, ASU is #1; Elon is #5.

Now, assuming that Elon really does have the #1 defense in FCS land; and assuming that ASU's D is not highly regarded (e.g., #45 or lower), can one say that Elon > ASU on 11/14?

Personally, I think we will beat Elon. And, I do not think that Richmond's D is as good as it was last year, for the simple reason that those two DE's graduated.

JMUNJ08
November 6th, 2009, 10:54 AM
It took me a while re-reading your post to figure out that "our #1 team" means Richmond. But, yes, you're right that the #1 team in the polls is #52 in terms of total offense shown on that chart. They must have a heck of a D.

From that chart, ASU is #1; Elon is #5.

Now, assuming that Elon really does have the #1 defense in FCS land; and assuming that ASU's D is not highly regarded (e.g., #45 or lower), can one say that Elon > ASU on 11/14?

Personally, I think we will beat Elon. And, I do not think that Richmond's D is as good as it was last year, for the simple reason that those two DE's graduated.

All their DB's are back (correct me if I'm wrong) and still a solid group. Ward looks much better and a great game manager. Sometimes all that flare and points don't matter. I can see them winning a game 13-10 but can't see ASU doing the same.

Eight Legger
November 6th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Defense wins championships.

biggie
November 6th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Still not quite correct. Maybe in baseball, where a bad offense can't give the other team points.

But you need at least good/decent O and D in football. If your O sucks too bad then no matter how good the D is they can't beat constant great field position for the opposing offense. And you can never win a game without scoring, so the D would have to do that as well.

UNH Fanboi
November 6th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Stats like this have to be taken with a huge grain of salt because of wide disparities in schedules and other factors.

CrackerRiley
November 6th, 2009, 11:13 AM
All their DB's are back (correct me if I'm wrong) and still a solid group. Ward looks much better and a great game manager. Sometimes all that flare and points don't matter. I can see them winning a game 13-10 but can't see ASU doing the same.

yeah, I can't see that happening either..... no way App only scores 13 in a game xwhistlex

PhoenixMan
November 6th, 2009, 11:14 AM

Elon #1 defense, #5 Offense.....not too bad for little 'ol Elon. If defense wins championships, then things are looking very positive right now.xnodx

Skjellyfetti
November 6th, 2009, 11:15 AM

Then App shouldn't have won it in 2007.

chattanoogamocs
November 6th, 2009, 11:22 AM
An "average" offensive (in terms of yards per game) can also be made up for if the D is scoring points on turnovers

...or leaving the offense in short yard scoring situations.

...or great special teams on kickoffs and punt returns.

...and on the other hand, you can drive all day racking up yards, but if you can't stick it in the end zone, running up a bunch of yardage doesn't really matter much.

If you'll notice, there is only a 5 TD difference between the #1 offense and the #52 offense (same number of games). So the #1 offense is only scoring 3.75 points more a game than the #52 offense. Sounds like #52 is getting better field position.

phoenixphanatic21
November 6th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Still not quite correct. Maybe in baseball, where a bad offense can't give the other team points.

But you need at least good/decent O and D in football. If your O sucks too bad then no matter how good the D is they can't beat constant great field position for the opposing offense. And you can never win a game without scoring, so the D would have to do that as well.

So what about the Baltimore Ravens the year they won the Super Bowl with frickin' Trent Dilfer at QB? xlolx

Skjellyfetti
November 6th, 2009, 11:26 AM
So what about the Baltimore Ravens the year they won the Super Bowl with frickin' Trent Dilfer at QB? xlolx

And what about the '06 Colts? Their defense gave up over 20 points a game.

JMUNJ08
November 6th, 2009, 11:27 AM
An "average" offensive (in terms of yards per game) can also be made up for if the D is scoring points on turnovers

...or leaving the offense in short yard scoring situations.

...or great special teams on kickoffs and punt returns.

...and on the other hand, you can drive all day racking up yards, but if you can't stick it in the end zone, running up a bunch of yardage doesn't really matter much.

If you'll notice, there is only a 5 TD difference between the #1 offense and the #52 offense (same number of games). So the #1 offense is only scoring 3.75 points more a game than the #52 offense. Sounds like #52 is getting better field position.

I was just going to make both points Thanks xthumbsupx

When your D gets a lot of 3 and outs you get the ball at the 40 or so. When your team is in a track meet you gotta go 80 yards. Big difference.

JMUNJ08
November 6th, 2009, 11:29 AM

Find another team with no defense that won a Super Bowl. All the talk that year was that their defense would keep them from the title.

How bout those Warriors and Suns in the NBA? Fun to watch but couldn't get the W's in the playoffs.

chattanoogamocs
November 6th, 2009, 11:32 AM
All this really proves is that being good at one stat (offense or defense) does not a team make.

Eight Legger
November 6th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Sorry to disappoint everyone, but we were "only" 46th in total offense after we won the championship last year. As I said, defense wins championships. And our offense is more than capable.

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2008&rpt=IAA_teamtotoff&site=org&div=IAA&dest=O

Skjellyfetti
November 6th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Find another team with no defense that won a Super Bowl.

'98 Broncos

soccerguy315
November 6th, 2009, 11:49 AM
so we all agree that ODU has a better offense than Villanova and Richmond?

Aho_Old_Guy
November 6th, 2009, 11:53 AM

Which means they could potentially put up 30-something points on the scoreboard against the Appalachian defense :D

The only stats that matter: 'W' and 'L'

JMU Newbill
November 6th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Stats don't win championships. Settle it on the field ladies.

MacThor
November 6th, 2009, 12:35 PM

All 9 starters other than the DE's are back. Pierre Turner and Nick Battle are no slouches -- they got plenty of playing time last year. This year's defense is statistically a little better than last's.

As 8-Legger said, we weren't exactly lighting it up on offense last year. In fact, the best our offense looked all of '08 may have been the JMU game -- which we lost.

EW leads scoring drives when he needs to. Richmond is 8-0, yet has trailed in 6 games, in the 2nd half 4 times, and in the 4th quarter twice. Last year we trailed in every playoff game except the NC. It's not about how much offense you get, it's all about getting the offense at the right time.

ASUG8
November 6th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Which means they could potentially put up 30-something points on the scoreboard against the Appalachian defense :D

The only stats that matter: 'W' and 'L'

Very few teams don't xbawlingx

tribe_pride
November 6th, 2009, 12:47 PM

With the exception of the Conference championship against a team that had scored a number of 30 and 40 point games, that Indy defense stepped it up in the playoffs.

james_lawfirm
November 6th, 2009, 01:03 PM

I know that, at least I think I did. My point was that the 2 DE's last year were the players that impressed me. Thank goodness, they moved along.

Hoyadestroya85
November 6th, 2009, 01:06 PM
The Colts defense was a completely different team when Bob sanders was playing, that still is the case today. In the playoffs, they won a bunch of defensive struggles because they weren't exactly lighting up the scoreboard.

james_lawfirm
November 6th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Very few teams don't xbawlingx

Not true.

ECU = 29
Sammy = 7
Cit = 27
NCCU = 21
GSU = 16
Furple = 27

In fact, only 2 teams this year have scored more than 30.
McNeese = 40
Wofford = 34

ur2k
November 6th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Key Stat so far this year

8-0

DLS
November 6th, 2009, 01:19 PM

definitely wasnt the case in 07

T-Dog
November 6th, 2009, 01:22 PM

I specifically remember having a conversation with a Delaware fan in Nooga in 2007 on who's defense sucked more. xlolx

There's was a poll on this site and others on whether the combined score would be over 100. Many people took the over. xrulesx

CamelCityAppFan
November 6th, 2009, 01:26 PM

8-0

word that.

I'm not a big fan of moldy canards like "Defense wins championships". Object of the game is to score more points than the other team. If your offense can score 50 points, your defense can give up 49, and you win.

james_lawfirm
November 6th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Moldy canards?

How dare you.

UNHFootballAlum
November 6th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Stats don't win championships. Settle it on the field ladies.

xnodx

Richmond's style is not a wide open spread offense. They want to beat you by pounding the rock first. That often means that they don't put up 500-600 yards of offense. Don't confuse stats with being a good offense. They are a good offense that looks to control the game with tempo, TOP, and to wear the other team down. That has been there recipe for great success

ASUG8
November 6th, 2009, 01:35 PM

8-0

Like I said, whatever you guys are doing is working for you, so congrats. I just found it interesting that the nation's #1 team isn't putting up a lot of offensive yardage. Plenty of reasons are there I'm sure, but I haven't seen them play to even have an opinion.

Houndawg
November 6th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Like I said, whatever you guys are doing is working for you, so congrats. I just found it interesting that the nation's #1 team isn't putting up a lot of offensive yardage. Plenty of reasons are there I'm sure, but I haven't seen them play to even have an opinion.

Short fields?

elon77
November 6th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Short fields?

Are not all fields the same length?:)

asknoquarter21
November 6th, 2009, 04:30 PM
xnodx

Richmond's style is not a wide open spread offense. They want to beat you by pounding the rock first. That often means that they don't put up 500-600 yards of offense. Don't confuse stats with being a good offense. They are a good offense that looks to control the game with tempo, TOP, and to wear the other team down. That has been there recipe for great success

Exactly,

I don't think ASU's defense is as bad as many think. Our offense scores so fast that the D is constantly on the field. If your D is on the field most of the game they aren't going to be a top D.

Richmond is almost the opposite. The D is so good that the offense can control the clock. No need to have 600 yards a game when you just need to shorten the game.

Elon Is my example of a team that seems to have a great balance. The fact that the D has played so well with the offense being as high as it is pretty impressive.

BEAR
November 6th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Is this yet another App thread? xeyebrowx

ASU_Fanatic
November 6th, 2009, 04:57 PM
hmmm