PDA

View Full Version : OVC autobid craziness

Lehigh Football Nation
November 5th, 2009, 01:48 PM
I have a question.

EIU is currently 5-1 in the OVC. Tennessee State is 2-2 in OVC play.

If EIU wins out, they are OVC champs and owner of the OVC autobid.

But suppose Tennessee State beats UT-Martin and Austin Peay, and upsets EIU on the last weekend of the season.

That means at a bare minimum there would be two OVC teams with two losses in conference, with a shot at Tennessee Tech (Jacksonville State, Murray State) and Eastern Kentucky (Jacksonville State) also being in the mix as well.

Would the autobid be a coin flip in all these scenarios?

Scenario 1: Only EIU and TSU are 5-2 in OVC play

Scenario 2: EIU, TSU and TTU are 5-2 in OVC play

Scenario 3: EIU, TSU and EKU are 5-2 in OVC play

Scenario 4: EIU, TSU, EKU and TTU are 5-2 in OVC play

Part of what's confusing me is that Jacksonville State can be the OVC champs, but can't win the autobid. If Jacksonville State are OVC champs (or co-champs) how does that enter into this?

For example in scenario 1, Jax State could be OVC champs. If they are, the autobid would go to the next-best team. Would the autobid be determined by how they did against Jax State (TSU didn't play them, while EIU beat them) or would it be head-to-head (TSU would have beaten EIU)?

Alternatively, Jax State could NOT be the OVC champs. They could be tied with two losses in conference with TSU and EIU, or with three losses and out of the title race. Do the rules change in any of these eventualities?

TTUEagles
November 5th, 2009, 02:17 PM
"Because each of the three teams would have a 1-1 record against the other two and no losses to any other team in the Conference, the determination of which team would receive the league’s automatic bid would be handled via a blind draw, in accordance with the league’s tiebreaker procedure. "

The above quote was from 2005...I didn't look very hard, but, I couldn't find the "official" tiebreaker policy...

As I understand it, Jacksonville has nothing to do with the final determination of the autobid, meaning their conference record does not enter into the equation.

PantherFan08
November 5th, 2009, 02:29 PM
I dont see this being an issue. EIU should win their final two games at home locking up the confernece championship and auto bid.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 5th, 2009, 02:51 PM
"Because each of the three teams would have a 1-1 record against the other two and no losses to any other team in the Conference, the determination of which team would receive the league’s automatic bid would be handled via a blind draw, in accordance with the league’s tiebreaker procedure. "

The above quote was from 2005...I didn't look very hard, but, I couldn't find the "official" tiebreaker policy...

As I understand it, Jacksonville has nothing to do with the final determination of the autobid, meaning their conference record does not enter into the equation.

If this is the case, then:

Scenario 1: Only EIU and TSU are 5-2 in OVC play --> TSU gets autbid from head-to-head win

Scenario 2: EIU, TSU and TTU are 5-2 in OVC play --> ??? TSU, EIU, TTU went 1-1 against each other. Next-best win: TSU beat EKU, while TTU and EIU lost to EKU. TSU gets autobid?

Scenario 3: EIU, TSU and EKU are 5-2 in OVC play --> TSU gets autobid, went 2-0 against EKU and EIU

Scenario 4: EIU, TSU, EKU and TTU are 5-2 in OVC play --> ??? TSU 2-1 against other teams in race. TTU, EIU, EKU all 1-2 against each other, TSU gets autobid?

Is this right?

Jax State doesn't have a part to play in this? In scenario 2, when it comes "best OVC win" to determine the autobid, EIU would own a win over Jacksonville State. Is that thrown out, and TSU's win over EKU then carries more weight?

EDIT: In addition, TTU would have a win over Jax State, too.

henfan
November 5th, 2009, 02:53 PM
A blind draw?! WTF!

You mean that round robin play doesn't always lead to a clear conference champion? ;)

Eight Legger
November 5th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Someone cut to the chase for me: Does this mean we won't be able to host EKU for a third straight year in Round One??

T-Dog
November 5th, 2009, 03:00 PM
The SoCon did a three-way coinflip to determine the autobid in 1999 between Georgia Southern, Furman and App St, who each were 7-1 in conference play and 1-1 vs each other. Thankfully, each team would have made the playoffs as an at-large anyway.

However, none of these teams in this situation are at-large candidates so it sucks. All conferences should change it to point differential or poll rankings. Either way is better than a blind draw.

henfan
November 5th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Coin flips. Blind draws. Doesn't the OVC and SoCon have round robin play? But... but... but, I thought round robin conference play left a clear conference champion each and every year? xrolleyesxxlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
November 5th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Coin flips. Blind draws. Doesn't the OVC and SoCon have round robin play? But... but... but, I thought round robin conference play left a clear conference champion each and every year? xrolleyesxxlolx

The OVC most definitely does NOT. TSU doesn't play everyone.

EKUSteve
November 5th, 2009, 04:37 PM
If this is the case, then:

Scenario 1: Only EIU and TSU are 5-2 in OVC play --> TSU gets autbid from head-to-head win

Scenario 2: EIU, TSU and TTU are 5-2 in OVC play --> ??? TSU, EIU, TTU went 1-1 against each other. Next-best win: TSU beat EKU, while TTU and EIU lost to EKU. TSU gets autobid?

Scenario 3: EIU, TSU and EKU are 5-2 in OVC play --> TSU gets autobid, went 2-0 against EKU and EIU

Scenario 4: EIU, TSU, EKU and TTU are 5-2 in OVC play --> ??? TSU 2-1 against other teams in race. TTU, EIU, EKU all 1-2 against each other, TSU gets autobid?

Because TSU does not play a full conference schedule except for years they play twelve, ties are based on number of losses.

S 1:IF TSU and EIU are tied with two losses and TSU beat EIU, TSU gets the bid.
S 2: IF TSU, TTU and EIU tie with two losses and are all 1 - 1 against each other, it would go to their result against the fourth place team. For this scenario, EKU which beat both EIU and TTU so TSU would go.
S 3: EIU, TTU and EKU finish 6 - 2 EKU would get the bid having beaten both EIU and TTU
S 4: EIU, TSU, TTU and EKU all have two losses. Round Robin in the tie, EKU 2 - 1, TTU 1 - 2, EIU 1 - 2, TSU 2 - 1 (assuming they beat EIU) - TSU would go then on the head to head with EKU.
Possible scenario - EIU and EKU tie at 6 - 2 then EKU goes.

This year, TSU does not play Jax St. Next year, they don't play EKU.

So Spider fans, there is a chance, albeit slim, that the Colonels could come calling again.

EKUSteve
November 5th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Left to play in OVC

EIU - UT Martin (11/14) (lots of offense, not so much defense) and TSU (11/19 on ESPNU)
TSU - UT Martin (this week), @Austin Peay, @EIU
TTU - Jax St (next week), @ Murray St. (playing Georgia this week)
EKU - @ Jax St 11/21 (OOC against UK and W. Carolina the next two weeks)

Lehigh Football Nation
November 5th, 2009, 05:05 PM
S 1:IF TSU and EIU are tied with two losses and TSU beat EIU, TSU gets the bid.
Check

S 2: IF TSU, TTU and EIU tie with two losses and are all 1 - 1 against each other, it would go to their result against the fourth place team. For this scenario, EKU which beat both EIU and TTU so TSU would go.
See Below

S 3: EIU, TTU and EKU finish 6 - 2 EKU would get the bid having beaten both EIU and TTU
Check

S 4: EIU, TSU, TTU and EKU all have two losses. Round Robin in the tie, EKU 2 - 1, TTU 1 - 2, EIU 1 - 2, TSU 2 - 1 - TSU would go then on the head to head with EKU.

Check

S 5 - EIU and EKU tie at 6 - 2 (and TSU loses against UT-Martin or AP) then EKU goes on head-to-head.

Check

Scenario 2 won't be affected by Jacksonville State? In this scenario TTU and EIU would have beaten Jacksonville State, but TSU wouldn't have played them.

EKUSteve
November 5th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Scenario 2 won't be affected by Jacksonville State? In this scenario TTU and EIU would have beaten Jacksonville State, but TSU wouldn't have played them.

I'm not sure for the tiebreaker that JSU is being placed in the standings. On the OVC web site, they are shown in last place with their 3 - 1 conference record.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 5th, 2009, 10:45 PM
I'm not sure for the tiebreaker that JSU is being placed in the standings. On the OVC web site, they are shown in last place with their 3 - 1 conference record.

Thanks for the clarification. All the scenarios seem like they're correct except No. 2, which would either be TSU wins (if it goes to common record vs. EKU) or a coin flip if somehow JSU is involved). I really hope it doesn't come down to that since it would be awful tough to explain why EIU & TTU beat a better team than EKU but didn't get the autobid over TSU.

WileECoyote06
November 5th, 2009, 11:21 PM
If TSU wins the OVC auto-bid; wouldn't that legitimize FAMU's candidacy as an at-large?

Bam
November 6th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Someone cut to the chase for me: Does this mean we won't be able to host EKU for a third straight year in Round One??

Not this yr my friend. xbawlingx I will miss that awesome drive thru West By God Virginia & seeing my Uncle Jesco White before the game for some gameday refreshments. xpeacex

813Jag
November 6th, 2009, 07:27 AM
If TSU wins the OVC auto-bid; wouldn't that legitimize FAMU's candidacy as an at-large?
I don't know Southern and AAMU beat them too.

EKUSteve
November 6th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Not this yr my friend. xbawlingx I will miss that awesome drive thru West By God Virginia & seeing my Uncle Jesco White before the game for some gameday refreshments. xpeacex

Don't totally give up yet xsmiley_wix

Stranger things have happened. EIU could stumble, throw the whole thing into a mess.

Remember, we got in the playoffs in 79 when Grambling got beat by Southern when they should not have and then again in 80 when Western got beat by Murray 49 - 0 the last game of the season.

It is football and these are 18 - 22 year olds. Anything is possible.

TTUEagles
November 6th, 2009, 09:36 PM
1) I like this year's Golden Eagle team, and am so proud of them winning the Sgt York trophy, but, I don't see TTU beating Jax. St in Jacksonville.
2). Seeing TSU play, they have a good enough defense to beat EIU, but I can't see them beating UTM, APSU AND EIU (all three in a row)
3) EIU will most likely win out and make this thread a moot point
4) SIU at SDSU could determine EIU's fate and if going to SIU, will probably mean another 1-and-done for the OVC - A significantly improved league this year, IMO.

EKUSteve
November 7th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Looks like this is going to be down to a three team race as TSU is down 21 - 0 with less than 6 minutes left in the 4th to UT-Martin.

WestCoastAggie
November 7th, 2009, 07:55 PM
If TSU wins the OVC auto-bid; wouldn't that legitimize FAMU's candidacy as an at-large? The way the games are fallin, it doesn't matter.