PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Southern FB Game in November

ElonPride
November 5th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Intersting:

http://www.southernpigskin.com/index.php/site/know_your_november/
SouthernPigskin.com Senior Editor B.J. Bennett looks at the top ten southern college football games of November. Follow us on Twitter at Twitter.com/SouthernPigskin

1. Florida State at Florida, November 28th - This game isn't on here because it will likely be competitive. Florida will be heavy favorites. But this will be the last home game of Tim Tebow's career and could, potentially, be the last game for FSU legend Bobby Bowden. We're just saying. The Tebow factor alone will make this game a national headline. An undercard to the Tebow story, this could be the last game for FSU defensive coordinator Mickey Andrews, who recently announced his retirement.

2. Appalachian State at Elon, November 14th - Trust us. Two FCS national championship contenders and two of the most dynamic talents to ever play college football in Appalachian State's Armanti Edwards and Elon's Terrell Hudgins. You could make the argument that both are the best to ever play their respective positions at the college level.

3. Alabama at Auburn, November 27th - When these two teams are playing well, there is no better rivalry in college sports. Throw in the fact that this game is on a Friday and it spices things up a little bit. Auburn head coach Gene Chizik had a lot of success as a defensive coordinator against Alabama and his Tigers will be looking to spoil the Crimson Tide's national title run

4. LSU at Alabama, November 7th - A game many have overlooked with the Crimson Tide playing so well, but Les Miles' Tigers still control their own destiny in the SEC West. A win here by LSU and the SEC and national championship races look a whole lot different. Last season's contest was an overtime classic.

5. Clemson at South Carolina, November 28th - A vastly underrated rivalry nationally, both the Tigers and Gamecocks are playing very good this season. Big-time bowl implications, not to mention bragging rights, will be on the line when these two collide.

6. Florida at South Carolina, November 14th - Likely the toughest game left on the schedule for the mighty Gators. Though the hype has slipped some over South Carolina's loss to Tennessee, this Gamecock team is still very capable and has the talent to challenge Florida here. Williams-Brice Stadium is one of the most underrated places to play in college football.

7. Miami at South Florida, November 28th - How about this new and emerging rivalry? South Florida already upended FSU; a win over Miami would send shockwaves through the state. Raymond James Stadium will be rocking as the 'Canes have never traveled to USF. Two of the most exciting quarterbacks in the game will be going at it here.

8. Georgia at Georgia Tech, November 28th - Last season's Georgia Tech win halted a long Bulldog winning streak. Two victories in a row would be a major statement for a Yellow Jacket squad that looks like the class of the ACC this season. Depending on how the season shakes out, this game really could have some national title implications.

9. Ole Miss at Mississippi State, November 28th - How about some love for the Egg Bowl? Dan Mullen has changed the mindset at MSU and the Bulldogs are playing much better. His arrival certainly has the attention of Houston Nutt and Ole Miss. Look for this rivalry to become more important in the years to come.

10. Georgia Tech at Duke, November 14th - The Blue Devils are still in the mix in the ACC Coastal Division. A win here, and look out! This game has the potential for fireworks with Josh Nesbitt and Thad Lewis going back and forth. This could be the most important home game in Durham in decades.

JMUNJ08
November 5th, 2009, 09:17 AM
I would almost agree. Probably LSU/Bama at 2 and just drop ASU/Elon to #3. Pretty cool to out do some major rivalries at the end of the yearxthumbsupx

whoanellie
November 5th, 2009, 09:40 AM
For App folks this is not a rivalry. Wait this is not a rivalry?!!!! I guess it is!!!!!

Silenoz
November 5th, 2009, 09:42 AM
and two of the most dynamic talents to ever play college football in Appalachian State's Armanti Edwards and Elon's Terrell Hudgins. You could make the argument that both are the best to ever play their respective positions at the college level.

xeyebrowx

89Hen
November 5th, 2009, 09:43 AM
That's cool! But the fact that UF at USC, Ole Miss at MSU and GT at Duke are on the list have to make me question the entire list. xeyebrowx

AppAlum2003
November 5th, 2009, 09:48 AM
I hope that the Elon players are thinking the same thing and are sitting around right now thinking about this game.

Go!!!.... Western? (Man, that felt weird.)

813Jag
November 5th, 2009, 09:54 AM
That's cool! But the fact that UF at USC, Ole Miss at MSU and GT at Duke are on the list have to make me question the entire list. xeyebrowx
that's Spurrier vs. The Gates that has to be on the list. How is USF/Miami a rivalry? they've only played once about 4 years ago.

gophoenix
November 5th, 2009, 10:28 AM
I hope that the Elon players are thinking the same thing and are sitting around right now thinking about this game.

Go!!!.... Western? (Man, that felt weird.)

Ha, wishful thinking on both our parts to think either team is overlooking this weekend. The media may be, and some fans might, but the rest of us, teams included, aren't.

Elon is not so far removed from being a bad team, those kids aren't overlooking anything.

elonfan06
November 5th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Good the see the FCS getting some respect over "traditional" I-A rivalries. There are some good games on this list and some that are questionable but there is no doubt that as long as both teams take care of business (as they should) we will have some fun next weekend in Elon.

GO PHOENIX!

WileECoyote06
November 5th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I think this should be named Top 10 most important football games in November. Then I could agree with it.

gophoenix
November 5th, 2009, 10:54 AM
I think this should be named Top 10 most important football games in November. Then I could agree with it.

It basically is....

AshevilleApp
November 5th, 2009, 11:09 AM
and two of the most dynamic talents to ever play college football in Appalachian State's Armanti Edwards and Elon's Terrell Hudgins. You could make the argument that both are the best to ever play their respective positions at the college level.

xeyebrowx

I think, and hope, he meant at THEIR college level implying FCS, Div 1-AA or whatever we are calling it...that would make more sense

blueballs
November 5th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Wasn't it just a short time ago that GSU vs. Furman was right at the top of this list and had conference and national implications every year in addition to being a hard fought rivalry?

My how the mighty have fallen...xnonono2x

appirishmen
November 5th, 2009, 10:04 PM
For App folks this is not a rivalry. Wait this is not a rivalry?!!!! I guess it is!!!!!

this has been more of a rivalry than us and western.....

CrackerRiley
November 5th, 2009, 10:11 PM
this has been more of a rivalry than us and western.....

wait... which team beat us last? xeyebrowx

T-Dog
November 5th, 2009, 10:15 PM

Western last beat us in 2004.

Elon last beat us in 1965.

The Elon/App games were blowouts from 2003-2007 (Elon joined the Socon in 2003).

Elon/App isn't a rivalry. Not even close. It's just a very important game. WCU/App sort of is because of how much WCU hates us.

CrackerRiley
November 5th, 2009, 10:27 PM

The Elon/App games were blowouts from 2003-2007 (Elon joined the Socon in 2003).

Elon/App isn't a rivalry. Not even close. It's just a very important game. WCU/App sort of is because of how much WCU hates us.

point made. xthumbsupx

gophoenix
November 6th, 2009, 04:22 AM

Man you go off every time Elon is mentioned in the same sentence with App. Give it a rest. Everyone knows we sucked for a handful of years. Everyone knows we didn't play for nearly three decades. Everyone knows App owned the series for the 60s (which is before most of us were born). Cripes.

Since you are getting all technical about it for some reason. The definition of a rivalry is:
a - one of two or more striving to reach or obtain something that only one can possess
b - one striving for competitive advantage

Technically, then, it is a rivalry, as are all the games played.

appmaj
November 6th, 2009, 06:21 AM

If this game is close it could develop into a rivalry...right now I would say its not.

But our "rival" hasn't played us close that often either (except 2004).

89Hen
November 6th, 2009, 09:31 AM
that's Spurrier vs. The Gates that has to be on the list.
Why? This isn't the first meeting. By all accounts this should be a VERY lopsided game. I've watched the Gamecocks twice this year. I would be shocked if they score an offensive TD.

PhoenixMan
November 6th, 2009, 09:53 AM

Well, according to EA sports NCAA football 2010 video game...Elon and Wofford are rivals. Maybe, but I didn't know it. ASU and WCU are listed as Rivals on the game. I don't play it...my son does. Really, I don't:p

Skjellyfetti
November 6th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Alabama - LSU should be #1

bigchocolate
November 6th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Why? This isn't the first meeting. By all accounts this should be a VERY lopsided game. I've watched the Gamecocks twice this year. I would be shocked if they score an offensive TD.

USC Defense!!!! is the answer to your question. The gamecock are capable on offense although they don't show up every week but their defense is very consistent. Yes, this could easily be a Florida blowout but this game also has the potential of being a USC upset thus affecting the National Championship....It's a big game. Bama scored 20 but 7 of those were an opening drive interception for a Bama touchdown....Ole Miss was #4 in the Nation when they played the Cocks but was defeated and only score 10 points...so yes, this game has the potential to be special during the 2009 football season.

MasonJar
November 6th, 2009, 10:48 AM

Sorry to be brash, but every game-day is a "rivalry" for ASU. Everyone gets geared up for the Mountaineers and take their shot. xnodx If Elon keeps winning and building a reputation, the Phoenix may get that target on their back as well.xthumbsupx

None the less, next Saturday could be a classic! Lets just hope neither Elon or ASU stub their respective toes this weekend! xpeacexxpopcornx

Aho_Old_Guy
November 6th, 2009, 11:27 AM

Loser Horns with Buzzer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIvxqUCu41Q)