PDA

View Full Version : MVC Week 10 Prediction Thread

Thumper 76
November 5th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Ind St. @ MSU-Will the Bears recover with a blowout of Ind. St. or will they be down after having their slim playoff hopes crushed by Ill. St. the week before? I think that this game should be somewhat closer than it should be, but since its at MSU I will go with da Bears to take this one. 24-20

WIU@Ill. St.-Ill. St. is coming off of the upset of MSU, and WIU has officially claimed the cellar of the conference for its own. So I see the Redbirds throwing down on the hapless Leathernecks at home with their much improved team. 35-7

YSU@UNI-This one could be closer than people think after watching the game last weekend. YSU has a fairly stingy defense, they just need to figure out their offense a little better, and stop shooting themselves in the foot. This makes them a dangerous team for UNI. Unfortunately for the Penguins, UNI will be fighting for their playoff lives as well as irate about dropping two in a row, and will be set on destroying anything in their way. The Panther offense finally puts it back together this week, and the Penguins shoot their foot too much. 35-10

SIU@SDSU-Yep. Homer pick. I win. Ha. This game really is a toss up but I like the Jacks at home. They just play especially tenacious at home, and have really been able to feed off of a packed Coughlin-Alumni in all their home games. Also after watching the NDSU, YSU, and the UNI games, the defense has been in total control the whole game, giving the other team maybe a drive or two to move the ball, while the rest of the game giving them nothing. The thing that I find most intriguing is that both teams thrive off of making other teams make mistakes. Yes, they force mistakes, the mistakes generally don't just happen for the other team, whether opposing fans like to admit it or not. The Saluki defense I think will have a great day I think. They have an especially stout unit there in Carbondale. The biggest key to the game is how well can Deji Karim and his offensive line do against the defensive front of the Jacks. Whatever team can run the ball the best wins this one. Just from what I've seen from this Jacks team, it reminds me a lot of the badgers with Ron Dayne when they wore you down until the latter part of the game and would bust one on you. This will be a game of line up and beat the guy across from you, I want it more, grind it out football. Looking forward to an extremely hard-hitting smash mouth game in the grass baby! This weekend we all get to see how football is supposed to be played! 17-13

And boom goes the dynamite. :D

skinny_uncle
November 5th, 2009, 02:38 AM
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h13/skinny_uncle/homer-01.gif

The Dawgs and Bunnies are definitely the game of the week. Two stout Ds that don't give up a lot of points and two of the best running backs in the division.

http://bestsmileys.com/fireworks/5.gif

DOME
November 5th, 2009, 08:27 AM
I think your picks are pretty solid.
If UNI has put it back together and doesn't give away the ball like a hot potato I wouldn't be surprised at a shut out though.

I do know that every Panther player, top to bottom is playing for their jobs as of now. Davis and Grace have been splitting practice snaps 50/50 soooo anyone that doesn't pull their weight will be pulled themselves.

Houndawg
November 5th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Ind St. @ MSU-Will the Bears recover with a blowout of Ind. St. or will they be down after having their slim playoff hopes crushed by Ill. St. the week before? I think that this game should be somewhat closer than it should be, but since its at MSU I will go with da Bears to take this one. 24-20

WIU@Ill. St.-Ill. St. is coming off of the upset of MSU, and WIU has officially claimed the cellar of the conference for its own. So I see the Redbirds throwing down on the hapless Leathernecks at home with their much improved team. 35-7

YSU@UNI-This one could be closer than people think after watching the game last weekend. YSU has a fairly stingy defense, they just need to figure out their offense a little better, and stop shooting themselves in the foot. This makes them a dangerous team for UNI. Unfortunately for the Penguins, UNI will be fighting for their playoff lives as well as irate about dropping two in a row, and will be set on destroying anything in their way. The Panther offense finally puts it back together this week, and the Penguins shoot their foot too much. 35-10

SIU@SDSU-Yep. Homer pick. I win. Ha. This game really is a toss up but I like the Jacks at home. They just play especially tenacious at home, and have really been able to feed off of a packed Coughlin-Alumni in all their home games. Also after watching the NDSU, YSU, and the UNI games, the defense has been in total control the whole game, giving the other team maybe a drive or two to move the ball, while the rest of the game giving them nothing. The thing that I find most intriguing is that both teams thrive off of making other teams make mistakes. Yes, they force mistakes, the mistakes generally don't just happen for the other team, whether opposing fans like to admit it or not. The Saluki defense I think will have a great day I think. They have an especially stout unit there in Carbondale. The biggest key to the game is how well can Deji Karim and his offensive line do against the defensive front of the Jacks. Whatever team can run the ball the best wins this one. Just from what I've seen from this Jacks team, it reminds me a lot of the badgers with Ron Dayne when they wore you down until the latter part of the game and would bust one on you. This will be a game of line up and beat the guy across from you, I want it more, grind it out football. Looking forward to an extremely hard-hitting smash mouth game in the grass baby! This weekend we all get to see how football is supposed to be played! 17-13

And boom goes the dynamite. :D

I tend to agree with you on the way the game will go but not the result. Karim has real speed and can change the game on one play. I like SIU going with wide splits and lots of stretch plays to set things up. I think that real fans are going to see a hellified game. 16-10 Dawgs. Here's wishing for no injuries.

Big Al
November 5th, 2009, 10:27 AM
MSU - although they will get pushed by InSU, so it will be an earned win
IlSU - WIU is not good
UNI - emotion and pride will rule the day
SDSU - SIU has better talent, I think SDSU has better discipline. This is a hard call but I think home field gets the edge.

jmc_jackrabbit
November 5th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Missouri State
Illinois State
UNI
SDSU: These teams are very evenly matched. Home field gives the Jacks enough to win 24-17.

Redbird Ray
November 5th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Bears, Birds, Cats, Bunnies.

Would love to pick an Indy St. road upset win, but I think the Bears win by single digits. Birds and Cats should win with relative ease (at least I hope the Birds do). And my early congrats go to the SDSU bunnies, your 2009 MVC Champs!

Thunderstruck84
November 5th, 2009, 11:52 AM
InSU @ MSU
WIU@IlSU
YSU@UNI
SIU@SDSU - I think the weather and field conditions will favor the speedier Salukis (maybe SDSU's grounds crew should "accidentally" leave the sprinklers on the night before the game ;))

Bye@NDSU

ysubigred
November 5th, 2009, 11:59 AM
InSU @ MSU MSU by 14
WIU@IlSU ISU RED by 17
YSU@UNI YSU By 21 xprayx
SIU@SDSU SIU by 6

Bye@NDSU

RabidRabbit
November 5th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Missouri State
Illinois State
UNI
SDSU: These teams are very evenly matched. Home field gives the Jacks enough to win 24-17.

My kind of picks. Here's xbeerchugx to some great football, and a tight exciting game in Brookings (tho as a xhomerx I'd love to see the Jacks blow out the Salukis)

Paladin1aa
November 5th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Mo. St. by 21

Ill. St. by 14

UNI by 10

SIU by 3

MSUBear42
November 5th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Trees
Byrds
Panths
Dawgs
Byes

mmiller_34
November 5th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Missouri State beats Indiana State - 28-7

Illinois State beats Western Illinois - 21-13

Northern Iowa beats Youngstown State - 31-17

South Dakota State beats Southern Illinois - 5-4 (haha)

MplsBison
November 5th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Trees
Byrds
Panths
Dawgs
Byes

MSU lost last week, right? Just like I thought.

MSUBear42
November 5th, 2009, 06:57 PM
MSU lost last week, right? Just like I thought.

Go back in your hole maples.

A HS team could have beat the Bears last night, believe me, they were incredibly un-motivated. I am NOT impressed with ISU. The only thing they had going for them was their running game and their run defense, but those two things were just multiplied by how terrible our gameplan was.

Jacked_Rabbit
November 5th, 2009, 08:56 PM
MVC Winners, Against The Spread:

W. Illinois @ Illinois St. -12.5
The Red Birds cover this one by the slimmest of margins, 31 - 17.

S. Illinois @ S. Dakota St. -2.5
The Rabbits' win by more than expected on their home turf, 27 - 16.

Indiana St. @ Missouri St. -18
The Bears don't cover but bounce back from last week to pick up the W, 34 - 17.

Youngstown St. @ N. Iowa -19.5
The Panthers play inspired football and win this one easily, 48 - 7.

Redbird Ray
November 5th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Go back in your hole maples.

A HS team could have beat the Bears last night, believe me, they were incredibly un-motivated. I am NOT impressed with ISU. The only thing they had going for them was their running game and their run defense, but those two things were just multiplied by how terrible our gameplan was.

Why would MSU be unmotivated with so much on the line last week? Up to last weekend, a shot at the playoffs was still distant, but possible right?

Great season for the Bears this year no doubt. But I think people should realize that narrow wins over UTM, YSU, WIU, and NDSU were a bit deceiving. I'm not saying ISU is much better, but let's not pretend last week's game was some enormous upset. Both teams are in the MVC's mediocre middle ground this season.

MSUDuo
November 5th, 2009, 11:50 PM
I'm curious to see what would happen if MSU lost to Indiana State and lost all 4 MVFC home games. I can't imagine Allen has much rope left.

UNI Pike
November 6th, 2009, 12:47 PM
I'm curious to see what would happen if MSU lost to Indiana State and lost all 4 MVFC home games. I can't imagine Allen has much rope left.

Depends on how long the remainder of his contract is - I can't imagine many FCS schools having the dollars to dump coaches mid-contract anymore.

MSUBear42
November 6th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Depends on how long the remainder of his contract is - I can't imagine many FCS schools having the dollars to dump coaches mid-contract anymore.

Up after next season (2010)

SO ILLmatic
November 6th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Mizzou St 35 - 14

IL State 21 - 14

UNI 35 - 10

SIU 27 - 17

skinny_uncle
November 7th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Misery State
Ill State
Cats
Dawgs

xnodx

UNIFanSince1983
November 7th, 2009, 08:12 AM
I'll throw my gratuitous predictions out there:

MSU 25-6 Coming off a disappointing loss I think the Bears have too much for the Sycamores, but this game is looking interesting with MSU knowing after last week they are just playing for pride

Illinois State 35-7 The Necks are just plain bad, and the Birds have been rolling recently

SDSU 21-20 This is going to be one hard fought tough game. I would like to see SIU pull it out, but gotta say with SDSU being at home and how disciplined they were they will pull it out.

UNI 10-3 YSU plays the Panthers close and I do not see this being any different. I hope UNIs offense can breakout, but the Guins have a good defense, and our offense has not played well the last two weeks. However, the Guins offense looked pretty atrocious so I give us the nod.

Houndawg
November 7th, 2009, 08:23 AM
I'll throw my gratuitous predictions out there:

MSU 25-6 Coming off a disappointing loss I think the Bears have too much for the Sycamores, but this game is looking interesting with MSU knowing after last week they are just playing for pride

Illinois State 35-7 The Necks are just plain bad, and the Birds have been rolling recently

SDSU 21-20 This is going to be one hard fought tough game. I would like to see SIU pull it out, but gotta say with SDSU being at home and how disciplined they were they will pull it out.

UNI 10-3 YSU plays the Panthers close and I do not see this being any different. I hope UNIs offense can breakout, but the Guins have a good defense, and our offense has not played well the last two weeks. However, the Guins offense looked pretty atrocious so I give us the nod.

YSU's QB can cause problems, stay after him.

unigriff
November 7th, 2009, 09:12 AM
YSU's QB can cause problems, stay after him.

Can we trade QBs with them?