PDA

View Full Version : Lost WR To Knee Injury - App State

BlackNGold
November 4th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Coco... NO! :(

http://appalachianstate.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?ReturnTo=&sid=&script=content.asp&cid=1011065&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=

ASUG8
November 4th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Not good at all - hopefully not too serious and he can be back for Elon. We have lots of targets, but he's been solid this year. :(

The Moody1
November 4th, 2009, 09:02 AM
The word is he is gone for the year.xbawlingx

BlackNGold
November 4th, 2009, 09:04 AM
I Would assume we now put Cadet at Kick Return..

Perhaps with Ben Jordan Healthy, he comes in and plays more of a WR Role?...

AppIAA
November 4th, 2009, 09:07 AM
All it means is Blake Elder is going to get more reps.. we are deep at WR -- not too worried.

Yes Hillary is a hell of an athlete, but we will be just fine

Skjellyfetti
November 4th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Elder and BJ Frazier will step up.

jonmac
November 4th, 2009, 09:09 AM
I like Coco and he will be missed but I don't think it is a huge blow. This is exactly why we have depth at that position, and boy do we. He'll be missed most at KR. We might see Deandre there. I don't see us putting our backup QB on the field any more than absolutely necessary. Can't let this get us down. I'm excited to see who's gonna step up.

AppAlum2003
November 4th, 2009, 09:10 AM
I just more feel bad for CoCo... he's a competitor and it's going to kill him sitting on the sidelines.

BlackNGold
Well.... I wouldn't be opposed to letting McDuffie return the Kicks... He's been the "new" spark for these last 2 games.....

Back2theROCK!
Brian McLawhorn
MountaineerIllustrated.com Publisher

Talk about it in the Message Boards

Appalachian State junior wide receiver CoCo Hillary was carted off the field during Tuesday's practice, and doctors have now had an opportunity to evaluate the team's second leading receiver's status.

According to assistant athletics director for sports information Mike Flynn, the junior has suffered a season-ending injury to his right knee. Doctors have evaluated tests run on the injury yesterday, however, radiologists have not at this point.

Radiologists are expected to look at his test results later today, however, no reports of a possible return this season are expected to come from these evaluations.

Stay tuned as we'll have more as information becomes available.

I hate it for CoCo...hopefully we've got some guys ready to step up!

appirishmen
November 4th, 2009, 09:11 AM
im not really too worried. Coco really hasn't done too much this year. they will prob move Cadet to kick returns. We have sooooo much talent at WR. if it was Matt Cline, i would be more worried. he has gone off this year.

Waco Kid
November 4th, 2009, 09:25 AM
im not really too worried. Coco really hasn't done too much this year. they will prob move Cadet to kick returns. We have sooooo much talent at WR. if it was Matt Cline, i would be more worried. he has gone off this year.

Coco hasn't done much this year? When did 37 catches (2nd on the team) for 514 yards (3rd on the team) and 4 TD's (1st on the team) equal not doing much? He has had some problems with the drops at times, but he has been one of AE's main targets. I do think Cline and Quick have had better years, but you can't lose these type of numbers without it hurting somehow. Elder and Frazier will have to step up, and hopefully will get Ben Jorden more involved.

whoanellie
November 4th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Coco... NO! :(

http://appalachianstate.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?ReturnTo=&sid=&script=content.asp&cid=1011065&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=
very sorry to hear this, he's a very good player. wishing him a speedy recovery

SpeedkingATL
November 4th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Coco was also leading the league in kickoff return average and was getting better and better in all phases of his game. ASU is deep, but losing a guy with his experience and energy level will be a blow. He and AE always are in synch.

Best of luck to Coco for a speedy and complete recovery.

HighRyder08
November 4th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Blake and BJ will step up for sure!

elcid03
November 4th, 2009, 09:49 AM
The word is he is gone for the year.xbawlingx

That stinks fellas...hang in there.

B&G
November 4th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Sugarcoat it all you want but this is a big blow.

The Moody1
November 4th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Well.... I wouldn't be opposed to letting McDuffie return the Kicks... He's been the "new" spark for these last 2 games.....

McDuffie had surgery for a broken finger yesterday. Who knows when he will be available.

PhoenixPhan06
November 4th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Hate it for you guys. Theres never a good time for that type of injury, but someone will do their best filling the void.

McNeese75
November 4th, 2009, 10:22 AM
I hate to see any player go down for the season at this time of the year. I will say that Matt Cline was more effective against McNeese than Coco.

ASU_MBA
November 4th, 2009, 10:30 AM
I think we see more DeAndre Pressley now.....

elon77
November 4th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Sorry guys. :(

asknoquarter21
November 4th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Deandre is listed as our number 2 at that position.

He knows the offense from playing QB, obviously he isn't Coco but he will do well.

Frazer will return kicks

ASU_MBA
November 4th, 2009, 11:18 AM
I think DeAndre is faster than CoCo...the concern would be the hands and I love CoCo and he does make some clutch catches, but hands is not the first adjective I would use to describe him.
I think DeAndre will step up and make plays...I just hope the coaches don't get conservative in practice and keep up the intensity.

phoenixphanatic21
November 4th, 2009, 11:24 AM
It is a shame to hear this. Would want to see you guys at full strength when you head down our way. Best of luck to him in his recovery.

biggie
November 4th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Bad timing for 2 injuries.

Will be a toss up for the kick returns, Frazier is normally back there with Coco, but fumbled last game and was replaced towards the end. Could have Presley/Cadet/Radford/Frazier/etc back there. Would guess Elder/Presley/Frazier for more WR duty and possibly Washington.

Someone may be stepping up in practice that we don't expect. Maybe Moore in WR slot with Baker/Chislom at RB.

Safety/Def backfield may be more of concern, but hope McDuffie gets back in a week or two. Heard it was the pinky finger, so hope that it would be easier to play with a small cast/splint. Though all up to docs I guess.

appstate38
November 4th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Unfortunately injuries are a part of the game.... Must contend with the variables that exist and not make excuses.... Just get better. Hopefully the other WR's will step up and get it done. I wonder if it is a result of the Apps being more physical in practice or if it was just a freak injury? I would hate to see them dial down the physical tone of practice when you consider how it has paid off on the last few Saturdays.

biggie
November 4th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Unfortunately injuries are a part of the game.... Must contend with the variables that exist and not make excuses.... Just get better. Hopefully the other WR's will step up and get it done. I wonder if it is a result of the Apps being more physical in practice or if it was just a freak injury? I would hate to see them dial down the physical tone of practice when you consider how it has paid off on the last few Saturdays.
Worst thing is Coco's injury was reported happening during a "non-contact" drill.

B&G
November 4th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Frazier is AWFUL as a returner. He's fast but his hands are shaky and his decision making is horrible. That is unless he has improved since last season.

appmaj
November 4th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Going to miss CoCo

appstate38
November 4th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Worst thing is Coco's injury was reported happening during a "non-contact" drill.

xsmhxxsmhxxsmhx

If thats the case then not much could have been done to prevent it.

appirishmen
November 4th, 2009, 03:44 PM
all i am saying is that, even though it will be a loss, with all of the talent and depth at WR. i think Moore will find someone who can take over and step up and we will be on!

Hoyadestroya85
November 4th, 2009, 04:39 PM

Brian Westbrook tripped on a patch of ice before his junior year and aggravated an existing knee injury.. I know how you guys feel. But I think it's safe to say that CoCo Hillary isn't Brian Westbrook.

ASU_Fanatic
November 4th, 2009, 07:07 PM
That sucks.

Aho_Old_Guy
November 4th, 2009, 07:19 PM
It's a great opportunity for someone to step up.

I hopes the injury is not that serious and CoCo can be back in action 100% for his senior year.

AshevilleApp
November 4th, 2009, 07:29 PM
all i am saying is that, even though it will be a loss, with all of the talent and depth at WR. i think Moore will find someone who can take over and step up and we will be on!

More deep balls to Quick, More Armanti Runs, More Washington, Elder, Frazier...maybe even a little bit of DeAndre Presley?

App is loaded with offensive weapons....losing Coco hurts a bit but not near as bad as losing say a DJ Smith or Jacque Roman or Legree

asu3peat
November 4th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Hope Coco can bounce back from this and return to form next year, if indeed it's a season ending injury.

AppMan
November 4th, 2009, 11:02 PM
I anticipate DeAndre Presley stepping up big and taking advantage of this opportunity. He made a terrific catch and run against GSU which I believe is just a hint of things to come from him.

ronpayne
November 5th, 2009, 01:07 PM
A link to a news article (W-S Journal, Tommy Bowman)
http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2009/nov/05/hillary-to-miss-rest-of-season/sports-college-team-pages-appalachian-state/

ASU_MBA
November 5th, 2009, 01:50 PM
I have read Cadet is going to see time for CoCo and may be the leading player in the filling the void. He has more route running experience from time at Toledo and Pearl River C.C.

BlackNGold
November 5th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Sounds Good To Me :D

AppAlum2003
November 5th, 2009, 01:54 PM
I have read Cadet is going to see time for CoCo and may be the leading player in the filling the void. He has more route running experience from time at Toledo and Pearl River C.C.

All opposed say "Nay"

I'm nervous enough having him return punts. Who else uses their backup QB as a WR? I understand you have to get your best athletes on the field, but I think they're fine at the WR position. They just need Blake Elder/BJ Frazier/DeAndre Presley to step up and make a few catches a game each.

biggie
November 5th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Doubt we'd take that much chance on our 2nd QB. He probably will see KR duty along with his normal PR. Also may be at WR for a sweep handoff or even sweep WR pass option if they get tricky.

But I'd say more likely to see Frazier, who probalby will start and Elder/Radford/Presley at WR.

Probably Quick/Cline/Elder/Frazier in 4 WR sets and Moore as a 5th WR when needed.

Hopefully a big lead in the 2nd half to 'experiment' with the WRs. If we get a lead like the last few weeks I'd say the starters stay in longer for WR work, using it as practice.

BlackNGold
November 5th, 2009, 01:58 PM
A WR would make more sense to take the spot... like Elder, Frazier, Washington, or Ben Jordan *TE , but after seeing what Cadet can do in the open field... Why not pass the ball to him?

biggie
November 5th, 2009, 02:00 PM
A WR would make more sense to take the spot... like Elder, Frazier, Washington, or Ben Jordan *TE , but after seeing what Cadet can do in the open field... Why not pass the ball to him?
I agree, but JM won't take the chance of a Cadet injury.

Presley is good in the open field as well, just needs to work on routes/catching. Throwing him a bubble screen with his speed can quickly turn into a long gain.

ASU_MBA
November 5th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Cadet has been practicing at the Z spot in place of CoCo and is leading the pack because of his route running according to Brian at Rivals.

biggie
November 5th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Cadet has been practicing at the Z spot in place of CoCo and is leading the pack because of his route running according to Brian at Rivals.
JM must be really wanting to get AE another one. Shocked he allowed TC to do that.

ASU_MBA
November 5th, 2009, 02:06 PM
JM must be really wanting to get AE another one. Shocked he allowed TC to do that.

I think it will be Cadet, Pressley and Frazier. But don't be shocked to see Cadet get some serious playing time in that spot from what I have heard and read.

BlackNGold
November 5th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Jerry Moore has always put the best players on the Field.... I see no difference in this logic..... And if some terrible injury were to come to TC *Lord Willing, Presley would still serve as a viable Numb 2. Option.

Aho_Old_Guy
November 5th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Jerry Moore has always put the best players on the Field.... I see no difference in this logic..... And if some terrible injury were to come to TC *Lord Willing, Presley would still serve as a viable Numb 2. Option.

I like the way yer thinkin' xthumbsupx

AE is throwing the ball a lot more this year, too.

Doesn't mean he won't get hit but certainly lessens the chances of a serious incident with a dozen or more fewer rushing attempts.

ThompsonThe
November 5th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Hate to see any player, anytime get hurt. Even our worst rivals, I would not want to see that. Especially CoCo Hillary. He seems like such a good student and player. Got a little too exicted sometimes when he would do something, but we all got excited also. Hope he heals OK, not for football, but for the rest of his life.

ASU_MBA
November 5th, 2009, 10:47 PM
According to Jerry Moore during Mountaineer talk Devin Radford (the Va Tech transfer who Frank Beamer said was the fastest guy on the team at Tech) will see time on kickoffs in place of CoCo and Cadet will see time at the Z wideout position.

McDuffie is "ify" with a finger injury

biggie
November 6th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Yeah, figure McDuffie is out to save him for the next game. Said Radford I finally become comfortable on his knee after his injury last year. Hope he does well.

We'll need to watch punt coverage, as Coco was a gunner on that as well.

Boone4280
November 6th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Lets just hope whoever fills Coco spot will run North and South, not East and West. Which usually gets Coco in trouble on returns

Skjellyfetti
November 6th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Lets just hope whoever fills Coco spot will run North and South, not East and West. Which usually gets Coco in trouble on returns

He was leading the SoCon in return yardage and near the top of the country. CoCo was not "usually" in trouble on returns. xrolleyesx

CrackerRiley
November 6th, 2009, 11:15 AM
He was leading the SoCon in return yardage and near the top of the country. CoCo was not "usually" in trouble on returns. xrolleyesx

Richmond. playoffs. last year. Enough said.

Skjellyfetti
November 6th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Richmond. playoffs. last year. Enough said.

Yeah, you're right. We should have benched Armanti this season. He's usually throwing 5 interceptions a game.

Also, I could be wrong... but, I believe CoCo now has the school record for kick off returns and kick off return yardage. So, yeah, I'm going to have to disagree that CoCo is usually in trouble due to running backwards on KO returns.

CrackerRiley
November 6th, 2009, 11:25 AM
I don't care what he has done. I've never trusted him since that game and I'm worried as hell every time he's running around out there.

Skjellyfetti
November 6th, 2009, 11:28 AM
I don't care what he has done. I've never trusted him since that game and I'm worried as hell every time he's running around out there.

So CoCo had 2 fumbles that game. Armanti threw 5 interceptions. Are you having trust issues with Armanti? You worried as hell every time he drops back to pass?

CrackerRiley
November 6th, 2009, 11:30 AM
So CoCo had 2 fumbles that game. Armanti threw 5 interceptions. Are you having trust issues with Armanti? You worried as hell every time he drops back to pass?

No. I just blame their bad play on their hangovers xwhistlex

Armanti has redeemed himself but CoCo still runs around like a maniac.

Let's just say I never trust punt returners, I'd rather they all just call fair catches everytime and get the play over with.

Skjellyfetti
November 17th, 2009, 12:03 PM
His surgery is complete... surgeons said there was not as much damage as previously thought. ~5 months for recovery time.

AppAlum2003
November 17th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Good to hear! ASU (especially Cadet) is going to need him next year.