PDA

View Full Version : Who Will Be Lehigh's New Head Coach?

ngineer
December 19th, 2005, 07:22 AM
OK Brown & Whiters for the first time in twelve years, Lehigh has a vacancy wherein Sterrett will likely hire the new HC from OUTSIDE the existing staff. Higgins was on Small's staff and Lembo was on Higgins' staff. Dave Cecchini, Harvard OC and former Lehigh All-American WR in the early 90's is mentioned frequently as is Andy Coen, the OC of Penn who also had a stint on the Lehigh Staff under Higgins. Are they "it"? Or does Sterrett go beyond and try and lure an A-10, SoCon, Gateway coordinator to Old South Mountain, since that is the level many want to see Lehigh at? Could 'Chick' or Coen get the Mountain Hawks to where some felt Lembo could not? In the famous words of Andy Reid, "The time is yours"..

Lehigh Football Nation
December 19th, 2005, 07:35 AM
My gut feeling tells me that it's Dave Cecchini, who was an assistant at Lehigh during the Higgins/Lembo era and is currently an assisstant coach at Harvard. Certainly he's get the resume, and (you would think) a strong tie to Lehigh being a former player as well as coach.

We will find out soon enough if "it's all Lembo's fault" that Lehigh "has struggled" with a 44-14 record, 2 playoff appearances (including Lehigh's only 2 home playoff games), and a Lambert Cup.

colgate13
December 19th, 2005, 08:05 AM
This will be a very important hire no doubt. My money's on neither. I think it's someone we've not thought about. Who? I'll do my best to think about that one!!!!

Fordham
December 19th, 2005, 09:14 AM
(particularly for Lehigh fans) What is the driving force behind this, in your opinion(s) - scholarships? money? lack of appreciation from the fan base? I understand it's likely a combo of all 3 and possibly more but just wondering what your take is on what is the most important one.

Also, the changes to your program since he was hired have been impressive. Consistent winning, bigger fan base (always been good though, imo), outstanding facilities, etc. I think it's a pretty different (and more attractive) position than it was just 10 years ago and I think you'll see an outstanding amount of interest in this spot. To gate13's comments, I wouldn't be surprised to see it be someone fresh and someone who has a great, great resume that either includes big time coordinator experience or strong HC experience.

Also, would you be happy to see someone get it who clearly wants to move on to a top I-A position or do you want someone who wants nothing more (at this point at least) than to finish his (or her ;) ) career at Lehigh?

Finally, how do you feel about the timing? It puts you further behind the recruiting ball than I'm guessing you would have liked had this been done more quickly following the season.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 19th, 2005, 09:35 AM
(particularly for Lehigh fans) What is the driving force behind this, in your opinion(s) - scholarships? money? lack of appreciation from the fan base? I understand it's likely a combo of all 3 and possibly more but just wondering what your take is on what is the most important one.

Also, the changes to your program since he was hired have been impressive. Consistent winning, bigger fan base (always been good though, imo), outstanding facilities, etc. I think it's a pretty different (and more attractive) position than it was just 10 years ago and I think you'll see an outstanding amount of interest in this spot. To gate13's comments, I wouldn't be surprised to see it be someone fresh and someone who has a great, great resume that either includes big time coordinator experience or strong HC experience.

Also, would you be happy to see someone get it who clearly wants to move on to a top I-A position or do you want someone who wants nothing more (at this point at least) than to finish his (or her ;) ) career at Lehigh?

Finally, how do you feel about the timing? It puts you further behind the recruiting ball than I'm guessing you would have liked had this been done more quickly following the season.

I blogged about this this morning. If you ask my personal opinion, I think coach Lembo was getting out while the writing was on the wall. Lembo was getting *a lot* of heat from alumni for losing to Lafayette three times, and though I think he would have had another year if he wanted, I think he got out before things got worse.

I don't believe schollies have anything to do with that. I don't think Lembo was a huge "we need schollies" person.

I think getting "Joe Pa's successor" :rotateh: in to coach a few years would be fine for most folks as long as he beats Lafayette and gets in the I-AA playoffs. The question to me is, exactly who will that guy be? The rewards would be great for the coach that can do it, but it will be extremely difficult.

The timing is not great, but I think Lehigh can recruit on reputation fairly well already. Still, a long protracted search isn't a good idea. The quicker this gets done, the better.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 19th, 2005, 09:39 AM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com

Here's my quick take on the leading candidates for the spot:

* Harvard Offensive Coordinator Dave Cecchini (former Lehigh coach and Lehigh player)
* Stony Brook Defensive Coordinator Andrew Cohen
* Penn Offensive Coordinator Andy Coen (former Lehigh coach)
* Former Georgia Southern head coach Mike Sewak
* New Hampshire Offensive Coordinator Chip Kelley
* Delaware Offensive Coordinator Kirk Ciarrocca

colgate13
December 19th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Dark Horse: Issac Collins just left Delaware. Former DC at Holy Cross. Would have been the DC at Lehigh. Just hired as DC at Citadel. Maybe he declines?

89Hen
December 19th, 2005, 10:08 AM
* Delaware Offensive Coordinator Kirk Ciarrocca
I beg you, please, please take him. xidiotx

SunCoastBlueHen
December 19th, 2005, 10:13 AM
I beg you, please, please take him. xidiotx

You beat me to it, 89. xlolx

PapaBear
December 19th, 2005, 10:27 AM
If he applies, I can't imagine him not getting the job. Good mind, good recruiter, knows the program, ambitious ... All the stars line up.

Someone metnioned Chip Kelly from UNH. Not likely, IMO. First, I see him as a UNH lifer. Second ... not a particularly strong recruiter. :boring:

carney2
December 19th, 2005, 10:48 AM
What is Lembo's "legacy?" He had some real quality wins (the Harvard blowout when Harvard was highly regarded; Colgate in Hamilton) and some quality near misses (last year vs. eventual national champion, JMU; this year at Delaware),

BUT

in my opinion he lost control of the 2002 team, and the 2004 team actually quit on the field in the critical Lafayette game. Seems like a mixed bag.

Pard94
December 19th, 2005, 10:55 AM
What is Lembo's "legacy?" He had some real quality wins (the Harvard blowout when Harvard was highly regarded; Colgate) and some quality near misses (last year vs. eventual national champion, JMU; this year at Delaware),

BUT

in my opinion he lost control of the 2002 team, and the 2004 team actually quit on the field in the critical Lafayette game. Seems like a mixed bag.

That's better Carney! Glad to have you back! ;)

straightshooter
December 19th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Lembo will find out quickly that the SoCon ain't the PL.

LUHawker
December 19th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Lembo will find out quickly that the SoCon ain't the PL.

Whatever! Another SoCon superiority theorist. "Little ol' Lafayette" took your National Champs to the wire. SoCon isn't head and shoulders better. The SoCon has the big 3 and then a bunch of doormats; the Patriot League has its own big 3 and a bunch of doormats as well. Get over yourself.

Appdad
December 19th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Whatever! Another SoCon superiority theorist. "Little ol' Lafayette" took your National Champs to the wire. SoCon isn't head and shoulders better. The SoCon has the big 3 and then a bunch of doormats; the Patriot League has its own big 3 and a bunch of doormats as well. Get over yourself.

I think he was trying to say that Lembo is going from the big 3 of the PL to the bottom of the Southern conference.

Recruiting is different from the bottom rather than from the top.

I wish him well. He has recruited in the south so he may have an easier time than I think.

ngineer
December 19th, 2005, 12:03 PM
After Lembo's first two years, people were already saying he wouldn't stay for more than five-that he'd take the next 'right' opportunity to move up the coaching food chain. Elon is a great opportunity. They are 3-8 two years running, he'll be able to recuit with the full number of scholarships and less academic restrictions he had at Lehigh, and he has successfully recruited in the South. His connection with Higgins, now at the Citadel, doesn't hurt, and probably had some bearing in Elon approaching him.
I would hope we have the position filled by first week of January. Still leaves time for recruiting followup. The Ike Collins post is interesting. He was highly regarded as a secondary coach and would have been the DC and Asst. HC had he not gone to Holy Cross with Gilmore--but what caused that relationship to sour so quickly? Lehigh does need to focus on defense a little more. To me it's where championships are won.

colgate13
December 19th, 2005, 12:09 PM
I would hope we have the position filled by first week of January. Still leaves time for recruiting followup. The Ike Collins post is interesting. He was highly regarded as a secondary coach and would have been the DC and Asst. HC had he not gone to Holy Cross with Gilmore--but what caused that relationship to sour so quickly? Lehigh does need to focus on defense a little more. To me it's where championships are won.

I think you're right on. You need to name someone by the new year or your recruiting will suffer at the hands of Colgate, Lafayette, etc. If a player right now is looking at all three (and more), you're more likely than not to choose the stable place and also not to wait for a new staff to see if they are interested in you.

I think Gilmore and Collins had a falling out - over what, who knows? But he just committed to the Citadel last week. What if this opportunity makes more sense for him? It's not too early to bail out IMO. The difference in salary has to be worth him considering it alone.

I think Chic at Harvard is the frontrunner though.

ngineer
December 19th, 2005, 01:06 PM
I think you're right on. You need to name someone by the new year or your recruiting will suffer at the hands of Colgate, Lafayette, etc. If a player right now is looking at all three (and more), you're more likely than not to choose the stable place and also not to wait for a new staff to see if they are interested in you.

I think Gilmore and Collins had a falling out - over what, who knows? But he just committed to the Citadel last week. What if this opportunity makes more sense for him? It's not too early to bail out IMO. The difference in salary has to be worth him considering it alone.

I think Chic at Harvard is the frontrunner though.

Knowing Higgins, I wouldn't be surprised if he encouraged Ike to apply, knowing Lehigh like he does and what an opportunity it would be. Higgins knows opportunities when they come along, doesn't he??(Detroit Lions 2000) :rolleyes: ;)

GannonFan
December 19th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Dark Horse: Issac Collins just left Delaware. Former DC at Holy Cross. Would have been the DC at Lehigh. Just hired as DC at Citadel. Maybe he declines?

It would be a shock to me if he (Collins) got the job - granted he spent a lot of time in Lehigh, but he was only the DC at Holy Cross for one year and his entire career outside of that has been as a position coach. It'd be a pretty mighty leap to go from where he is now to head coach of a job as good as Lehigh's. Of course, to echo the other Hens posters, you're more than welcome to our current OC, Ciarrocca. Please.

colgate13
December 19th, 2005, 01:38 PM
If Collins is interested, he'll get a long hard look. Lehigh connection, defensive coordinator and, now don't come and hang me for saying this, but 'diversity' interests. This one is escaping me, but has their ever been a black head coach in the Patriot League?

I think what is going against him though is his age. That was a knock against Lembo and Collins is only 34.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 19th, 2005, 01:41 PM
If Collins is interested, he'll get a long hard look. Lehigh connection, defensive coordinator and, now don't come and hang me for saying this, but 'diversity' interests. This one is escaping me, but has their ever been a black head coach in the Patriot League?

I think what is going against him though is his age. That was a knock against Lembo and Collins is only 34.

I sincerely doubt Collins would be in the mix. The way he left Lehigh after being named Lehigh DC I'm sure ruffled a few feathers, and not just Lembo's. Furthermore, the fact that he's been jumping from school to school makes my suspicious. Is he hard to get along with?

There has never been an African-American HC in the Patriot League - not shocking, for outside the HBCU's there are shockingly few. I think an African-American coach at Lehigh would be terrific, as long as he can beat Lafayette and get us to the playoffs every year. :p

colgate13
December 19th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Furthermore, the fact that he's been jumping from school to school makes my suspicious. Is he hard to get along with?

I don't see it that way. Gilmore obviously made it an enticing offer to leave Lehigh. When that didn't pan out, he needed a job so took something less than a DC. When Higgins wanted him as a DC, he left.

That final part speaks a lot to me about why Lehigh might be interested. Higgins likes him. If you guys can't lure Higgins back, I think you'll want to look at the guys he likes.

Goodspeed
December 19th, 2005, 02:01 PM
I would think if Ike had stayed as the DC and Asst. HC, it would have been a natural progression. He was well liked and respected by most of the players. A great personality who could communicate and motivate. Just look at what his defenses did. I know Gilmore shares in that , but Ike was a better "front-man", than Gilmore. I think Chick would be a nice fit. Imagine what he could do with Sedale.

GannonFan
December 19th, 2005, 02:08 PM

Like I said though, he has only 1 year of experience at the coordinator level - that's a lot of increased responsibility for a guy to take making a jump from a career position coach to top man.

Lehigh Lover
December 19th, 2005, 02:19 PM
I know people will call me crazy, but has anyone brought into their minds the idea of enticing Kevin Higgins back to Bethlehem? I know he's only been at Citadel for one year, but he truly made a name for himself at LU and took them to great heights. As good of a coach has he is, I would think Lehigh should at least give it a shot.

OL FU
December 19th, 2005, 02:25 PM
I know people will call me crazy, but has anyone brought into their minds the idea of enticing Kevin Higgins back to Bethlehem? I know he's only been at Citadel for one year, but he truly made a name for himself at LU and took them to great heights. As good of a coach has he is, I would think Lehigh should at least give it a shot.

It is an interesting thought and as is obvious from a different thread, the entire thing confuses me. But if the bottom of the bottom of the SoCon can lure the coach away, why would Higgins come back?

I keep apologizing here but I still have difficulties believing he left your program for Elon.

colgate13
December 19th, 2005, 02:36 PM
I keep apologizing here but I still have difficulties believing he left your program for Elon.

I too have a little bit of disbelief here. I thought I would have seen a few Elon (gophoenix?) posters here to help discuss.

Maybe there is more to it? Biddle was 'in' for the VMI job most likely to get a raise and then he pulled out. Perhaps Lembo was 'in' at Elon for the same reasons, and Lehigh (in from what I understand typical tight financial fashion) told him, sorry, go to Elon if you want more money.

I know it's football, but I'd probably do the same in my job as would most of you. Money talks. Maybe it's a $75K per year raise with perks like a house? Tough to beat for a young guy with a family... especially if your current boss just said you weren't worth that much.

:twocents:

OL FU
December 19th, 2005, 02:42 PM
I too have a little bit of disbelief here. I thought I would have seen a few Elon (gophoenix?) posters here to help discuss.

Maybe there is more to it? Biddle was 'in' for the VMI job most likely to get a raise and then he pulled out. Perhaps Lembo was 'in' at Elon for the same reasons, and Lehigh (in from what I understand typical tight financial fashion) told him, sorry, go to Elon if you want more money.

I know it's football, but I'd probably do the same in my job as would most of you. Money talks. Maybe it's a $75K per year raise with perks like a house? Tough to beat for a young guy with a family... especially if your current boss just said you weren't worth that much.

:twocents:

Well that would make sense. I guessed it might be money. That would certainly be a reason for me to leave.

SouthMountainWreckingBall
December 19th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Man, between this turn of events, the Joe Knight basketball debacle and our bank-robbing sophomore class president, it is a strange time to be a lehigh alum.

ngineer
December 19th, 2005, 06:53 PM

There has not been a black head FOOTBALL coach in the PL. Lehigh's basketball coach, Billy Taylor is black, coming from UNC-Greensboro three years ago. First major sport at Lehigh to have a minority head coach I believe--if not any sport.

ngineer
December 19th, 2005, 06:55 PM
It is an interesting thought and as is obvious from a different thread, the entire thing confuses me. But if the bottom of the bottom of the SoCon can lure the coach away, why would Higgins come back?

As I posted elsewhere, I think he sees this as an opportunity to make a name for himself in turning around a struggling program. Before he had a successful program handed to him. If he makes Elon into another Furman, his potential down the road is unlimited.

OL FU
December 20th, 2005, 07:36 AM
[/B]

As I posted elsewhere, I think he sees this as an opportunity to make a name for himself in turning around a struggling program. Before he had a successful program handed to him. If he makes Elon into another Furman, his potential down the road is unlimited.

Yes that makes sense also. It should be interesting in the SoCon with two former Lehigh coaches attempting build programs and compete with the established powers. I do hope Elon realizes that he will need time.

ngineer
December 20th, 2005, 08:48 AM
The former Buffalo coach's name has been floated. The skinny is that he's a good coach with a 'class' disposition (i.e. good for recruiting) but his track record is not good. Some say he was never in a place that gave him the tools to succeed, but at a place like Lehigh that is already positioned for winning and supports the tradition he would be a good fit.
What does anyone know of the man? "13'--wasn't he previously at Cornell, and if so, you should have some insight..?

Marcus Garvey
December 20th, 2005, 09:15 AM

The SoCon didn't lure Higgins away, the Detroit Lions did in 2000. His contract wasn't renewed after '03 and he accepted the HC position at The Citidel.

Taking the Lehigh job for a second time would be a better job. I think the best you can do at the Citidel is raise the program to "consistent mediocrity." (No doubt Cit grads will take issue with this statement! :rolleyes: )

If I were Higgins, the main reason why I would turn down Lehigh is because I think there's a "moral obligation" of sorts to stick things out with the Cit. Jumping ship after 1 year could make things worse for their program.

carney2
December 20th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Good article in today's Allentown paper about why Lembo left. Here is my Q&D summary:

1. Elon is a challenge. Lembo is young. If he can get the program to even 7 - 4, he's a hero and is probably positioned to move up.

2. The ghost of Kevin Higgins keeps nagging at him. A vocal minority in the Lehigh community would not let it rest.

3. Going 1 - 3 against Lafayette the last three years kept the ghost of Kevin Higgins alive. No one will admit to this one, but it is a significant factor in the alumni unrest.

Oh yeah, forget Higgins. He isn't coming back. Like Lembo, he is looking to move up. A return to Lehigh does nothing for his resume. Frankly, as a Lafayette alum, Dave Cecchini (spelling?) is the name I fear the most. He's young, somewhat proven, a decent recruiter and, unlike a certain rotund former Lafayette coach, he understands the rivalry.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 20th, 2005, 09:23 AM
The former Buffalo coach's name has been floated. The skinny is that he's a good coach with a 'class' disposition (i.e. good for recruiting) but his track record is not good. Some say he was never in a place that gave him the tools to succeed, but at a place like Lehigh that is already positioned for winning and supports the tradition he would be a good fit.
What does anyone know of the man? "13'--wasn't he previously at Cornell, and if so, you should have some insight..?

I was not impressed with Hofner at Buffalo (8-49? Ewwwww). He was the last Cornell coach to beat Colgate (granted, it's not the same Colgate we know and love today), but aside from that, it's really hard to look at his resume and say "this is the sort of guy that will bring this team a Patriot League championship". He did get one Ivy co-championship, but that's really about it, at Cornell.

My 10c is that he needs to get in a rebuilding situation as a coach, a la Elon, VMI, or something like that. Putting him in the pressure situation to win the PL championship in his first year doesn't seem like a good fit for him, IMO.

The only former head coach looking for a job that I could picture applying for the Lehigh job is Mike Sewak of Georgia Southern, simply due to the emotional nature of his firing and his background of success - and the fact that he seemed to get as much mileage out of GSU this year as possible. I don't think Lehigh alums are looking ot bring the triple-option to Lehigh, and I don't know if Sewak is definitely a triple-option guy, but if he's willing to modernize his offense, I think he would be a good fit.

Pards Rule
December 20th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Carney, speaking of a rotund former coach, you wouldn't think...nah, no way. Although I bumped into Jim Schaeffer, the U of P defensive line coach at Detroit airport, and he told me that former coach just retired from Wyoming Seminary!

colgate13
December 20th, 2005, 09:34 AM
I would not be looking to hire UB's former coach if I was Lehigh. I don't think I see Sewak at Lehigh either; I think Cecchini is the #1 choice right now, but if Heffner at LC is interested, that deserves a good hard long look.

Pard94
December 20th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Couple of things regarding the rotund coach in question - First of all, don't think he would want Lehigh and why would Lehigh want him? He's spent the last 5 years at the Prep School level and he left Lafayette because he stopped winning. No doubt the administration had as much to do with that as Russo himself but...perception is reality.

Secondly, Carney, you think Russo didn't fully understand the rivalry? What makes you think so?

OL FU
December 20th, 2005, 11:27 AM
The SoCon didn't lure Higgins away, the Detroit Lions did in 2000. His contract wasn't renewed after '03 and he accepted the HC position at The Citidel.

Taking the Lehigh job for a second time would be a better job. I think the best you can do at the Citidel is raise the program to "consistent mediocrity." (No doubt Cit grads will take issue with this statement! :rolleyes: )

If I were Higgins, the main reason why I would turn down Lehigh is because I think there's a "moral obligation" of sorts to stick things out with the Cit. Jumping ship after 1 year could make things worse for their program.

I realized he went pro first. But the point is the same. My replacement coach goes to Elon for "better opportunities", I probably am not going back.

Pards Rule
December 20th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Pard 94, wholeheartedly agree. I was just joshing as it is a stretch beyond belief to think LU would go that way. Bill definitely understood the rivalry and he had his firsthand closeup in the 1981 game as he explained in the Legends CD. He couldn't believe the emotions on both sides even though people were prepping him for it. I was one of the fans that glorious day as a sophomore. I still remember "Shirtsleeve Joe" Sarra in shirtsleeves that cold day running his guys through pregame drills in the endzone. It was Shirtsleeve Joe who Dan Connor, LB at Penn State, made those late night harassing phone calls to most recently.

ngineer
December 20th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Good article in today's Allentown paper about why Lembo left. Here is my Q&D summary:

1. Elon is a challenge. Lembo is young. If he can get the program to even 7 - 4, he's a hero and is probably positioned to move up.

2. The ghost of Kevin Higgins keeps nagging at him. A vocal minority in the Lehigh community would not let it rest.

3. Going 1 - 3 against Lafayette the last three years kept the ghost of Kevin Higgins alive. No one will admit to this one, but it is a significant factor in the alumni unrest.

Oh yeah, forget Higgins. He isn't coming back. Like Lembo, he is looking to move up. A return to Lehigh does nothing for his resume. Frankly, as a Lafayette alum, Dave Cecchini (spelling?) is the name I fear the most. He's young, somewhat proven, a decent recruiter and, unlike a certain rotund former Lafayette coach, he understands the rivalry.

You got that right! Rarely does a school get an alum as an HC--I note UNI's is an alum, and that has to give an extra spark when it comes to The Game.

ngineer
December 20th, 2005, 12:33 PM
I was not impressed with Hofner at Buffalo (8-49? Ewwwww). He was the last Cornell coach to beat Colgate (granted, it's not the same Colgate we know and love today), but aside from that, it's really hard to look at his resume and say "this is the sort of guy that will bring this team a Patriot League championship". He did get one Ivy co-championship, but that's really about it, at Cornell.

My 10c is that he needs to get in a rebuilding situation as a coach, a la Elon, VMI, or something like that. Putting him in the pressure situation to win the PL championship in his first year doesn't seem like a good fit for him, IMO.

The only former head coach looking for a job that I could picture applying for the Lehigh job is Mike Sewak of Georgia Southern, simply due to the emotional nature of his firing and his background of success - and the fact that he seemed to get as much mileage out of GSU this year as possible. I don't think Lehigh alums are looking ot bring the triple-option to Lehigh, and I don't know if Sewak is definitely a triple-option guy, but if he's willing to modernize his offense, I think he would be a good fit.

I definitely agree that the 'faithful' wouldn't take to the triple-option after all the great QB's and 'air raids' we've had over the years. AS to his coaching philosophy, I don't know much about him and how'd he mesh in the "Lehigh culture" coming from a big state school where he had full scholarships and less academic restriction.

carney2
December 20th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Fellow Pards,

I loved Bill Russo for the first half of his tenure on College Hill. For the second half - well, not so much. I have three things that bother me about that old Brown (University) Bomber.

1. He quit years before he actually resigned. C'mon guys, you know it as well as I do. For much of the 90's he was going through the motions - and he wasn't even very good at that. A bunch of drunks up in row 43 or wherever (me and my cronies) were calling the plays, for God's sake. If we could do it, then there was no defensive coordinator worth his salt that was losing any sleep during the week before playing Lafayette. I remember one game against Holy Cross when a Lehigh "volunteer" spy was sitting there with a clipboard. I had been jawing with him for a while about how he had the easiest job in the world trying to keep up with Russo's wizardry. At one point he said "OK, wiseguy, what's he going to do on this play?" I hadn't been paying much attention, but I looked out there, recognized the down, distance and formation and responded "Tailback off tackle right." Right on cue, Billy boy sent the tailback behind the right tackle. To prove it was no fluke I called the next play as well before Lafayette punted. The man became Neal Putnam.

2. His goal every year was "a winning season" because in his opinion that's the best that a program Like Lafayette could be expected to do. (His words, not mine.) I remember Joe Paterno talking about how he recieved a donation request from his alma mater, Brown University, that wanted him to loosen his wallet to "help make Brown football respectable." Paterno said that he threw it away. If you don't go on the field every time expecting - wanting - to win, then you might as well stay home. For Russo, 6 was enough. He felt that he had a successful season - even if one of those 6 was NOT Lehigh.

3. True enough, Bill recognized that Lehigh was not just another game. He never truly understood however that the other ten games are divided into two sets of preseason scrimmages: league and non-league. He never did anything special: offensively, defensively or psychologically, to get ready for Lehigh. It was "the final game and I hope we get those 6 wins that I need to feel good about myself." I remember how incredibly frustrating it was watching Russo rush 4 and drop 7 into coverage while Kevin Higgins sent out his 4 or 5 eligible receivers and always - ALWAYS - had one running completely free - and always the one he wanted. Didn't the Lafayette staff have enough money for a projector? Didn't they watch game films? Didn't they know anything about preparing for the big one? I will go to my grave knowing that he never cared about this game as much as we do, as much as Tavani apparently does and as much as his players deserved.

Apologies for the long-winded response.

Pards Rule
December 20th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Carney, good synopsis. When do you think Bill "punted"? I won't say he punted but I believe that 95 double OT game took a lot out of him. And then the next year blowing a 19-0 lead and the after THAT a 21-0 lead. It was death by blown opportunities.

carney2
December 20th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Russo didn't "punt" on a specific day or for a specific reason. Rather, he just got worn down by trying to recruit without athletic scholarships and fighting what he saw as a lack of support from the administration. In the end though, he simply slipped into a 9 to 5 routine that was aided by taking the easy way out and adopting a "leather helmet" approach to the game.

How soon we forget, but Bill Russo arrived on the scene in 1981 as a "gunslinger." His role model was the coach at Wake Forest (I think it was John Mackovic) who said (and I paraphrase) "When you're outmanned you have to take risks." In Russo's first game - on his first offensive series - against Central Connecticut, his kickoff receiving team botched things badly and he started inside his own five. On first down he sent the QB into the end zone and it was "bombs away" downfield and deep. The play was not successful, but Russo had apparently served notice as to how he intended to play the game. He ended up having a lot of success that first year (9 - 2 with only the second win over Lehigh since 1970) but you could see that the guns had been holstered by the Lehigh game.

In my opinion, things started to unravel for good when he had six years of success "bucking the line" with Tom Costello and Erik Marsh - especially Marsh who was as effective inside tackle as attacking the corners. Things were a little too easy and he never really tried to "coach" much again after that. Just more of the same, but without Costello and Marsh.

One man's opinion - for what it's worth.

Pards Rule
December 20th, 2005, 03:43 PM
I remember that Central Conn. game well as I was there. It was a 51-0 win. One play I recall was Joe Skladany picking off a pass and having a clear path to TD but somehow he tripped over his own feet (or was that the Bucknell game?). Needless to say, they scored anyway. The other play was when Scott Bailey was the insert QB at the very end (great answer to a trivia question for Leopard fanatics!) and they were on the CC 9 yard line and the Blue Devils blitzed and he swung it to a wideout for a TD! I know the CC folks were pissed but Russo commented afterwards "hey the dewd did what he was trained to do - on a blitz, swing it out." That year the Pards just missed a bid for the playoffs and Frank Novak, Roger Shepko & company never came close to a bid after that season.

Fordham
December 20th, 2005, 04:07 PM
did Russo ever funnel players your way once he went to Sem?

I seem to remember a few going to Lehigh and I'm wondering how that sat with the Pard crowd.

Maverick
December 20th, 2005, 04:52 PM
I heard that Lembo only had one year on his contract and they refused to roll it over for another year. Based on that, with only one year left on your contract, the AD has put the coach at a real recruiting disadvantage. Even a coach who "really loves" the area has to look at things in the long term, especially with a young family. So Lembo takes the Elon job with a lot more security than the single year, semi-lame duck deal from the AD. Under the circumstances this was his best option. What would some of you have done under such circumstances? :eyebrow: :twocents:

ngineer
December 20th, 2005, 06:17 PM
I heard that Lembo only had one year on his contract and they refused to roll it over for another year. Based on that, with only one year left on your contract, the AD has put the coach at a real recruiting disadvantage. Even a coach who "really loves" the area has to look at things in the long term, especially with a young family. So Lembo takes the Elon job with a lot more security than the single year, semi-lame duck deal from the AD. Under the circumstances this was his best option. What would some of you have done under such circumstances? :eyebrow: :twocents:

Lembo was looking for he 'next move' a year or more ago. The Elon opportunity is a no-lose proposition. He turns Elon around he'll be moving on to I-AA. If he doesn't, then nothing lost and looks more like an institutional matter if Elon doesn't give the sufficient resources to go to the mat with the other SoCons.

carney2
December 20th, 2005, 08:12 PM
QUESTION:

"did Russo ever funnel players your way once he went to Sem?"

"I seem to remember a few going to Lehigh and I'm wondering how that sat with the Pard crowd."

ANSWER:

I'm not sure how to answer that because I'm no longer clear on Bill Russo's role at Wyoming Seminary. I had always thought - or assumed - that he was the head coach. I heard from an in-the-area source that he was more like an unpaid volunteer. Need clarification; am confused on this point.

In any event, there are usually a few Wyoming Seminary graduates on the Lafayette team. The 2005 roster listed five, with some serious contributors among them:

Larry Johnson, a very good senior corner back and one of the better kick returners around;

Justin Stovall, a junior linebacker who was the first guy off the bench to replace any of those three marvelous seniors;

Jack Thomson, a sophomore offensive tackle who was starting near the end of the season; and

Maurice White, a freshman tailback with some upside potential.

As for Wyoming Seminary players on the Lehigh roster, a true Pard never bothers himself with where those guys are from, only where they are going - to hell.

ngineer
December 20th, 2005, 09:41 PM
Hadn't thought about this possibility but heard someone else mention it. Bobby's had some roots put down in the Philly area for the past 8 years. Maybe he'd like to make a 'small move' to the north? I always thought he got a hell of alot out of not much. Had a great record in Alabama. At Lehigh he'd have an established program with the pieces in place to 'go to the next level' . Not sure on his age, but my thought (fantasy) would be for him to come in for a few years with Cecchini as the OC, then transition Chick into the HC when Bobby retires. ...Maybe I've had too much eggnog, but just 'mullling'.... :rotateh:

hawkineer
December 20th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Not sure on his age, but my thought (fantasy) would be for him to come in for a few years with Cecchini as the OC, then transition Chick into the HC when Bobby retires. ...Maybe I've had too much eggnog, but just 'mullling'.... :rotateh:
I have a similar concern regarding the immediate infatuation with Cecchini. LU can't afford another "he'll grow into the job" head coach. If we've learned anything from Lembo era, it is that solid head coaching or coordinator experience is a must. I just not sure that Dave has enough "experience". However, he is unique. He was the OC under Higgins and Murphy. I also think his dad had some affiliation with the Minnesota Viking (no he wasn't on the boat! xlolx ). I believe Cecchini hung out with the coaches and participated in their camps from a young age. Hopefully, if he is selected, he is wise and mature beyond his years.

By the way, is it possible to actually have too much eggnog? xprost2x

ngineer
December 20th, 2005, 10:12 PM
I have a similar concern regarding the immediate infatuation with Cecchini. LU can't afford another "he'll grow into the job" head coach. If we've learned anything from Lembo era, it is that solid head coaching or coordinator experience is a must. I just not sure that Dave has enough "experience". However, he is unique. He was the OC under Higgins and Murphy. I also think his dad had some affiliation with the Minnesota Viking (no he wasn't on the boat! xlolx ). I believe Cecchini hung out with the coaches and participated in their camps from a young age. Hopefully, if he is selected, he is wise and mature beyond his years.

By the way, is it possible to actually have too much eggnog? xprost2x

Only if you're trying not to increase your belt size during the holidays ;)

Lehigh Football Nation
December 21st, 2005, 08:07 AM
Hadn't thought about this possibility but heard someone else mention it. Bobby's had some roots put down in the Philly area for the past 8 years. Maybe he'd like to make a 'small move' to the north? I always thought he got a hell of alot out of not much. Had a great record in Alabama. At Lehigh he'd have an established program with the pieces in place to 'go to the next level' . Not sure on his age, but my thought (fantasy) would be for him to come in for a few years with Cecchini as the OC, then transition Chick into the HC when Bobby retires. ...Maybe I've had too much eggnog, but just 'mullling'.... :rotateh:

My :twocents: is that it's not a good idea to bring a guy in who has struggled as as the head coach and then have him come in and expect him to compete for championships. You want a guy on the rise (Cecchini) or on the lateral (Sewak), not a guy on the rebound (Hofner, Wallace).

If we did go ahead and hire a Sewak, Hofner, or Wallace, it would be bucking a 20 year trend of hiring from "within the family". I think the last time Lehigh went to the outside to hire a HC, it was Hank Small from Princeton after the 1985 season. Can someone confirm? I know Higgins was AC under Small, and Lembo was AC under Higgins.

Should it be "Chick", I wouldn't have any qualms about him being HC. To me, he was the brains behind Higgins' (and, by extension, Lembo's) offense, so he would appear to be a great offensive mind. He's been the OC for RB Clifton Dawson and QB Ryan Fitzpatrick. Not to mention Stambaugh, Brant Hall, Ron Jean etc. - a lot of tremendous athletes at our level.

On my blog, I'm going to add some of these new names to my potential list of new Lehigh coaches as well. One thing that I didn't consider, and is a real possibility, that again Lehigh will "promote from within" for the new HC. That puts Chris Rorke (OC) and Gerard Wilcher (DC) in play as well. Wilcher is African-American, and if he is the new HC, he would be the first ever football HC of color in the Patriot League.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 21st, 2005, 08:12 AM
Joe Sterrett has also posted a press release (http://www.lehighsports.com/release.asp?RELEASE_ID=4428) on the search for the head coaching vacancy. Again, I'll be covering this more on my blog, but there are some intriguing tidbits:

One of the immediate decisions I made upon Pete Lembo’s decision to accept the Elon offer was that we would conduct an open search, and would not make an immediate internal promotion. While I feel strongly about the quality of our assistant coaches, and I expect qualified internal candidates to compete for the opportunity to serve as head coach, I also felt that an open process would be healthy for our program at this point in time.

It is my sincere intent to hire an outstanding football coach so that we can sustain and advance the strong tradition of football success that so many have worked so hard to build. Achieving this outcome matters a great deal to me, professionally and personally, and so I appreciate the trust that has been assigned to me.

ngineer
December 21st, 2005, 12:11 PM
My :twocents: is that it's not a good idea to bring a guy in who has struggled as as the head coach and then have him come in and expect him to compete for championships. You want a guy on the rise (Cecchini) or on the lateral (Sewak), not a guy on the rebound (Hofner, Wallace).

If we did go ahead and hire a Sewak, Hofner, or Wallace, it would be bucking a 20 year trend of hiring from "within the family". I think the last time Lehigh went to the outside to hire a HC, it was Hank Small from Princeton after the 1985 season. Can someone confirm? I know Higgins was AC under Small, and Lembo was AC under Higgins.
Should it be "Chick", I wouldn't have any qualms about him being HC. To me, he was the brains behind Higgins' (and, by extension, Lembo's) offense, so he would appear to be a great offensive mind. He's been the OC for RB Clifton Dawson and QB Ryan Fitzpatrick. Not to mention Stambaugh, Brant Hall, Ron Jean etc. - a lot of tremendous athletes at our level.

On my blog, I'm going to add some of these new names to my potential list of new Lehigh coaches as well. One thing that I didn't consider, and is a real possibility, that again Lehigh will "promote from within" for the new HC. That puts Chris Rorke (OC) and Gerard Wilcher (DC) in play as well. Wilcher is African-American, and if he is the new HC, he would be the first ever football HC of color in the Patriot League.

You are correct. Small, who followed the Legendary John Whitehead, came from outside--Princeton may be correct. Higgins was DC under Small for part of the time, as well as other titles before taking over HC. Lembo was OL coach and then Asst. HC in charge of recruiting before Higgins left. Lembo did not have an "asst HC". Rorke and Wilcher, IMO, do not have the experience at this level, yet to be HC--at least at Lehigh. I think Wilcher's D came on in the second half this year. I'm not impressed with Rorke--no flow to the playcalling, goes off on something else and away from what's been working seemingly on a whim to see 'what else' may work'. First quarter of Lafayette game was where that game was lost and I blame the playcalling as much as anything for poor start.
John Luckhardt--former LB coach for Lehigh in the 1970's and past HC at Washington &Jefferson with some national titles may be an interesting candidate. Brings a defensive focus and a super guy--at least as I remember him 30 years ago ;)
I like Cecchini and what he brings from an offensive perspective. Indeed , I think getting him back as OC with Luckhardt as HC (he's closing in on retirement) would set a nice transition.
Someone's suggestion of the Lafayette OC or DC is also worth looking at. Guy wouldn't need to 'move' his family, and he's certainly familiar with the PL as well as our personnel.
An interesting two weeks to come. I've never typed so much since high school typing class!! :D

Marcus Garvey
December 21st, 2005, 05:14 PM
I just thought of something. In the past, has there been much movement of coaches between Lehigh and Lafayette? Off the top of my head, I can't think of any assistant coaches who have worked at both schools, but that doesn't mean there aren't any.

ngineer
December 21st, 2005, 06:02 PM
There may have been a few assistants who have coached at both schools. However, as for Head Coaches, I'm aware of only one that coached at both--and I will have to research the name. It may be in the Legends of Lehigh-Lafayette book that was published about five years ago. Will report back. :read: :read: :read: :read: :read:

ngineer
December 21st, 2005, 06:16 PM
Found an interesting tidbit besides the answer to your question. Leo Prendergast was the only alumnus of either school to coach for the other. A star under Jock Sutherland's teams at Lafayette in the teens, Prendergast coached Lehigh from 1943-1945, going a disastorous 2-15-1. He was followed by Bill Leckonby in 1946 who went on to become Lehigh's winningest coach, going 85-53-5 in 16 seasons that included Lehigh's only undefeated, untied season in history, 1950.

However, only Dr. S.B. (don't know what the initials stand for) Newton coached both Lehigh and Lafayette. He was not an alumnus of either school. Newton coached for Lafayette from 1899-1901 and then left to go to Lehigh where he coached from 1902-1905. No idea what his record was at Lafayette, though he won all six games against Lehigh (they played twice a year back then). At Lehigh, Newton was 23-20-2, going 2-2 against the Maroon.

Sorry you asked, huh? :o ;)

Doc QB
December 21st, 2005, 07:17 PM
I shared a locker next to Cecchini for a few seasons while I was at LU, (taped his shoes before each game as an odd ritual). He is an outstanding young coach, and even better person. Great football mind. He followed Clauson as OC when he left for Fordham, and really tailored the offense to his QB's strengths at the time (whether it be a mobile Brant Hall or drop back Stambaugh). When we here at LU together, he caught balls from one of the best QBs I knew there, Scott Semptimphelter, and we called almost everything from the shotgun at the LOS under Hank Small...the receivers had to be QBs in preparation. He has had enough good mentoring and playing experience that he is the best bet to allow LU to go back to "Lighting Up the Skies." He may be younger than Lembo, but was respected at LU as player and coach, and he is easily the most logical choice, would make alums happy, too. Hopefully, he would perform OC himself.

To clarify a minor detail, Hank Small was already on the staff at Lehigh in the last year of the Whitehead era, when the ditched the dreadful wing-t offense. I still have a program with him in it as an assistant coach, I believe.

The Historian
December 21st, 2005, 07:47 PM
Doc QB, I do not know what program you have, but I have the 1985 Lehigh Football Media Guide. That was Whitehead's last year and Hank Small is not on the staff.

According the the 1986 media guide, Small was the OC at Brown for one year before being named Lehigh HC. He had been at Princeton for seven years from 1978 to 1984.

ngineer
December 21st, 2005, 09:12 PM
Doc QB, I do not know what program you have, but I have the 1985 Lehigh Football Media Guide. That was Whitehead's last year and Hank Small is not on the staff.

According the the 1986 media guide, Small was the OC at Brown for one year before being named Lehigh HC. He had been at Princeton for seven years from 1978 to 1984.

That's how I remember it. In fact, I still remember the Morning Call's
headline making the hiring announcement: "Lehigh Thinks Small". It turned out that way, too. with one or two exceptions, it was a mediocre string of 8 seasons. Very creative offensively, but absolutely no commitment to defense. We lost a ton of high scoring affairs... :(

Doc QB
December 21st, 2005, 10:35 PM
I must have been smoking crack or something...can't figure why I believed that. I was there from 91-93, and yes, we had a great team in 91, 9-2. Thanks for the correction and dedication to knowing LU football.

ngineer
December 22nd, 2005, 06:37 AM
From Groller's column in the Morning Call, it appears the two assistants who may have thrown their hats in the ring are John Powers (OL coach) and Adam Sheirer (Special Teams and RB coach). Powers, to me seems like a very good position coach, but I have trouble seeing him as the HC. Of course, a lot of people said the same about Whitehead in 1976. Sheirer is very emotional, and 'gung ho' type. I think he also has a good sense of humor, but, again, as HC not sure--especially in terms of organizing and running the program. Say what you will about Lembo, he was very organized about everything and especially recruiting and running efficient practices. These players have limited time and organization is an important component of anyone heading up a D-I program..

carney2
December 22nd, 2005, 10:06 AM
Fellow AGSer, ngineer, mentioned Keith Groller's column in today's Allentown newspaper. Groller is the beat writer who follows Lehigh football and he all but says that Cecchini is the front runner. Also, he has a nice quote from Sterett about how the most important thing he is looking for is '"fit." He wants someone who understands the strengths and limitations that a PL coach works under. He does not want a guy who starts out all gung ho and then ends up fighting the system.

ngineer
December 22nd, 2005, 12:08 PM
Fellow AGSer, ngineer, mentioned Keith Groller's column in today's Allentown newspaper. Groller is the beat writer who follows Lehigh football and he all but says that Cecchini is the front runner. Also, he has a nice quote from Sterett about how the most important thing he is looking for is '"fit." He wants someone who understands the strengths and limitations that a PL coach works under. He does not want a guy who starts out all gung ho and then ends up fighting the system.

I agree wholeheartedly with Sterrett. Lehigh, and the PL in general, have a unique philosophy about the role of athletics in a university. If the new HC is not fully 'on board' with that philosophy it will be very frustrating for both concerned and will not last long. I agree there is a lot of sentiment for 'Chick', but the one question is, "Is he ready to be a HC" and all that entails. He's about 34 years old--and would he be the OC since that is his forte? Joe has an interesting two weeks ahead of him.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 22nd, 2005, 12:46 PM

Your daily dose of press roundups, speculation, and information on the possible choices for Lehigh's head coach. I've summed up all the serious candidates (mostly grabbed from posts by ngineer :) ), and done a writeup on all of them as far as I could tell. Whew! Lots of words have been spilled over this already, and it is quite incredible the amount of interest in this position everywhere.

As for the candidates, Luckhardt is looking more and more interesting by the second.

Pards Rule
December 22nd, 2005, 12:57 PM
Fordham, to answer your question, I don't believe he went out of his way to steer sem students to LC. There was a lot of bad blood between Coach Bill & the administration back then. Maybe with the new president, Dan Weiss, there can be a thawing out. I believe Russo was instrumental in retooling a moribund program that had 10 years of mediocrity under Putnam. Where is Neal Putnam today?

carney2
December 22nd, 2005, 02:05 PM
I believe Russo was instrumental in retooling a moribund program that had 10 years of mediocrity under Putnam. Where is Neal Putnam today?

I believe that he is selling insurance in Connecticut. In any event, he is out of football. Nice guy. Apparently a decent human being. Couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag.

Pards Rule
December 22nd, 2005, 02:08 PM
Agreed Carney. He kinda looked like an insurance salesman rather then HC. Now, Frank & Heff, they look like HCs.

ngineer
December 22nd, 2005, 06:53 PM
Agreed Carney. He kinda looked like an insurance salesman rather then HC. Now, Frank & Heff, they look like HCs.

I was recruited at Lafayette by Harry Gamble. I heard 'through the grapevine' that Gamble was leaving for Penn. I went with Dunlap at Lehigh. Putnam was a good man--had the 'pedigree' of coming from the 'Cradle of Coaches' at the U of Miami, Ohio, but I agree...he had no 'juice'..

Pard94
December 23rd, 2005, 06:39 AM

Your daily dose of press roundups, speculation, and information on the possible choices for Lehigh's head coach. I've summed up all the serious candidates (mostly grabbed from posts by ngineer :) ), and done a writeup on all of them as far as I could tell. Whew! Lots of words have been spilled over this already, and it is quite incredible the amount of interest in this position everywhere.

As for the candidates, Luckhardt is looking more and more interesting by the second.

Glad to see you didn't list Coach Heffner as even an outsider. :D

ngineer
December 25th, 2005, 07:34 PM
Cecchini, Luckhardt and Hofher seem to be the most frequently mentioned names on various blog and post sites. Higgins name is mentioned frequently, too, but IMO that is just people daydreaming in the past. No way Higgins returns to the Patriot. AD Sterrett has stressed the need to have someone who understands and ACCEPTS the philosophy of Lehigh and Patriot League so that there is a good 'fit' from the beginnng. Would be nice to hire an investigator to keep tabs on the 'comings and goings' in the Taylor Gym offices... :cool:

JohnG
December 25th, 2005, 09:06 PM
Cecchini, Luckhardt and Hofher seem to be the most frequently mentioned names on various blog and post sites. Higgins name is mentioned frequently, too, but IMO that is just people daydreaming in the past. No way Higgins returns to the Patriot. AD Sterrett has stressed the need to have someone who understands and ACCEPTS the philosophy of Lehigh and Patriot League so that there is a good 'fit' from the beginnng. Would be nice to hire an investigator to keep tabs on the 'comings and goings' in the Taylor Gym offices... :cool:
haha yea I like the idea of watching the gym. Can we tap the phones too? I would do it but I'm home in NC for the holidays.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 26th, 2005, 09:04 AM

More speculation posted on my blog as to possible candidates.

Issac Collins, defensive coordinator, The Citadel.
Steve Spagnulo, linebacker coach, Philadelphia Eagles.
Andrew Cohen, defensive line coach, Fordham.
Bob Heffner, offensive line coach, Lafayette.
Brian Norwood, defensive backs coach, Penn Sate.

Might Spagnulo be an interesting choice? A I-AA assistant coach before hitting the NFL, he could have an intimate knowlege of Lehigh as a program and a relationship with Sterrett. Norwood is a former Navy assistant coach who also could be an interesting choice, though with no formal tie to Lehigh right now.

ngineer
December 26th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Some very interesting names there LFN. All quality people and some with different 'edges' than others. Will certainly make Sterrett's job difficult, but at the same time 'easier' knowing that there is a lot to choose from, in addition to the other names previously mentioned. Getting Heffner would certainly be a 'jolt' to the 'Pards situation. Only once in history as a person ever been Head Coach of both schools. This would be as close as that would get. He's been associated with LC football a long time, and with Tavani now getting his extension, IF Heffner wants to be a HC he's got to look elsewhere.
The Spagnulo circumstance is interesting,but one has to wonder how he would 'fit' into the Lehigh and PL way of doing things--same with Norwood. However, at the same time, they bring a wealth of experience that some think we're a little thin on right now. Sterrett definitely wants to have someone in place after the New Year. An exciting week coming up.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 28th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Football scoops reports a bunch of names today:

Jim Hofner (former HC Buffalo), John Luckhardt (California, PA HC), Dave Cecchini (OC Harvard), Andy Coen (OC Penn), Brian Norwood (DB Penn State), Bob Heffner (OL Lafayette), Steve Spagnulo (LB Philadelphia Eagles), Kenny Carter (RB Vanderbilt)

I profile Kenny Carter on my blog.

Carter has a fantastic resume, and also has strong ties to the Citadel. That means to me that it's a decent bet that Higgins floated the name to Sterrett. IMO. If it's Carter, he looks like a fantastic choice.

colgate13
December 28th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Looks like footballscoop.com has just been reading AGS!

ngineer
December 28th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Looks like footballscoop.com has just been reading AGS!

I think you're right--except for the Kenny Carter listing--that's a new one to me. Would be interesting as to who or what the sources are...

Go...gate
December 28th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Jim Hofher is a intriguing possibility. With Lehigh's talent base (much better than Buffalo or Cornell) I think he would do a great job.

sweetlou
December 28th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Mike Donnelly HC of Muhlenberg interviewed yesterday

ngineer
December 28th, 2005, 07:55 PM
Wow, there's a name out of left field. Donnelly's had a fairly successful run at Muhlenberg in turning that program into a consistent winner. I wonder, though, whether his 'credentials' will stack up much against some of the competition. Plus, I get the sense that unless the D-III coach was coming from some place like Mt. Union, or one of the recognized 'powers' that Lehigh would go in that direction. Donnelly's experience at Muhlenberg would not be very 'preparatory' for being HC at LU, other than having to deal with high academic standards.

colgate13
December 28th, 2005, 08:02 PM
But he's getting interviewed...

I can't see them interviewing more than 5 candidates.

ngineer
December 28th, 2005, 08:14 PM
But he's getting interviewed...

I can't see them interviewing more than 5 candidates.

True--and I wonder if it might not result in a possible offer of a OC or DC postion, should the HC go to someone else. Keep in mind, Donnelly being local probably has already had some familiarity with Sterrett and vise-versa....

Pard94
December 29th, 2005, 08:17 AM
Donnely coached at Lafayette for a while. Receivers, I believe. I was a tight end for about 15 minutes and he was my positional coach. Nice guy...don't know if I see him as a PL Head Coach...I hope Lehigh hires him.

ngineer
December 29th, 2005, 07:41 PM
Dick Maloney's name has been mentioned. HC at U of Chicago (D-III) but supposedly has tremendous experience at I-AA with Penn in the 1980's and a number of years in the CFL. Obviously deals with high pressure academics at Chicago. Anyone know anything of him--HEY Ralph--aren't you in Chicago? What can you tell us??

Lehigh Football Nation
December 31st, 2005, 11:17 AM
Profiled Dick Maloney and mike Donnelly on the blog today. Donnelly looks to be an interesting name to throw in teh mix, since his Muhlenberg teams have been doing very well in the passt few years at D-III.

Not happy about linebacker coach Trisciani and DC Bateman leaving Lehigh. IMVHO, this makes getting a defensive coach ever so much more important.

Marcus Garvey
December 31st, 2005, 01:34 PM
Donnelly has done a fantastic job turning around Muhlenberg's football program. They were god-awful in a relatively weak D-III conference (Centennial) for years. They even lost 10 straight to their arch-rival Moravian College during those down years. 10 straight losses to a team that was mediocre more often then they were "good" or "great."

Personally, I thought Donnelly should have become Lafayette's coach when Russo retired. I think he'd do well at Lehigh, where the administration gives more support to football than he currently gets in the West End of Allentown.

DFW HOYA
December 31st, 2005, 01:50 PM
Open question: how does the vacancies at two of the seven PL schools affect recruiting entering the open period? Any thoughts as to how a vacancy at Lehigh will affect recruiting versus one at Georgetown?

carney2
December 31st, 2005, 02:04 PM
I claim no particular expertise, but

Instability and unknowns never help recruiting. In addition, guys that, for instance, Pete Lembo liked for his system, may not be "class A" recruits for the new guy. On the other hand, the new coach will have some connections that the old one didn't. Summary: win some, lose some, but, on the whole, probably no better than an average year for recruiting - with a significant downside potential.

One big plus for Lehigh is that Lembo bailed as recruiting entered its down time for the holidays. It's up to Sterrett to get a body in place SOON if he wants to save the recruiting season. If the schools that Lehigh is recruiting against get a chance to register doubts in a recruit's mind about Lehigh,...

Lehigh stands to lose a lot more than Georgetown. The Hoyas have no way to go but up.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 31st, 2005, 02:16 PM
Open question: how does the vacancies at two of the seven PL schools affect recruiting entering the open period? Any thoughts as to how a vacancy at Lehigh will affect recruiting versus one at Georgetown?

I'd agree with carney:Lehigh has more to lose that G'Town. Having said that, recruiting isn't the same for Ivy/Patriot schools as for other schools. You're targeting a certain athletic/academic balance, which makes recruiting more of a challenge. For example, if you're a law major who plays football, you're going to take G'Town over any other PL school, period. If Lehigh and Penn are competing for a business major, Penn's going to win that battle. However, if you've got an Mechanical Engineer, Lehigh's going to win that.

When Gilmore took over at Holy Cross right before New Year's, I felt that recruiting was affected significantly by that - then again, Holy Cross' program was in the doldrums. I would think Lehigh might get along better by reputation that G'Town (sorry, DFW).

DFW HOYA
December 31st, 2005, 02:36 PM
Lehigh stands to lose a lot more than Georgetown. The Hoyas have no way to go but up.

No way but up? Not really. If Georgetown can't afford to retain quality assistants (an ongoing problem in recent years), loses early recruits and is forced to pick up a class in April and May, or if the stadium funding stalls, well, it's a considerable impact for the program and affects the entire league.

That's why a strong coaching hire is important. Lehigh's risk may be more short term but Georgetown's is more long-term.

ngineer
December 31st, 2005, 05:13 PM

I agree that recruiting at the PL and Ivy schools are different because the recruits are recruited based on their academic focus. Believe it or not LFN, Lehigh's undergraduate business and pre-law reputation is pretty strong. Certainly there will be some recruits who will be 'on the fence' and getting a coach in place asap will be important for them so they get an understanding of what the 'philosophy' will be like. But the great majority of recruits are looking at the degree they want and I suspect would be willng to wait and see what the staff will be like. Lehigh's had some fairly strong classes recruited in the past couple years, so there may not be a noticeable drop-off even if this year's incoming class is 'below average' by way of numbers or qualilty. So long as the short fall this year isn't repeated the following year. It all depends on what area of the program needs 're-loading.'

Lehigh Football Nation
December 31st, 2005, 05:15 PM
...Believe it or not LFN, Lehigh's undergraduate business and pre-law reputation is pretty strong...

Oh, without question Lehigh is extremely strong in business and pre-law. But I'd not be so presumptuous to say that Lehigh's is better than Wharton and G'Town law... :)

Lehigh Football Nation
January 2nd, 2006, 07:01 PM
With no new news yet, I made an attempt to handicap the Lehigh Head Coaching Vacancy race. For fun, of course. I'm still thinking "Chick" is the frontrunner for the position as of right now - then again, that and $1.25 gets you a Double Latte.

ngineer
January 2nd, 2006, 07:12 PM
With no new news yet, I made an attempt to handicap the Lehigh Head Coaching Vacancy race. For fun, of course. I'm still thinking "Chick" is the frontrunner for the position as of right now - then again, that and $1.25 gets you a Double Latte.

Can't really disagree over your top 4--though I might move Sewak up a little. What about Collins-definitely out of the picture?

ngineer
January 2nd, 2006, 07:15 PM
Oh, without question Lehigh is extremely strong in business and pre-law. But I'd not be so presumptuous to say that Lehigh's is better than Wharton and G'Town law... :)

Yeah, but they're graduate schools. Lehigh doesn't have a law school. Wharton may have an undergraduate component, but it's reputation, from my experience, has been from their MBA and Ph.D. grads.

Pard4Life
January 2nd, 2006, 09:15 PM

Didn't know Lehigh had pre-law... anyhow, Lafayette's is better... I've seen more Lafayette numbers at top law schools (althugh Bucknell, Colgate, HC have the most).

sorry for gloating... :)

ngineer
January 2nd, 2006, 10:02 PM
Didn't know Lehigh had pre-law... anyhow, Lafayette's is better... I've seen more Lafayette numbers at top law schools (althugh Bucknell, Colgate, HC have the most).

sorry for gloating... :)

Lehigh's not "known" for pre-law as opposed to the Engineering and Business schools; however, a lot of Lehigh grads have gone to law school--there are 5 lawyers from our 1973 team. And while schools have 'pre-law' in my view there really isn't an animal since you can major in anything and go to law school. In fact, some of the best law students and lawyers I've met were engineers as undergrads. The logical analysis from that discipline and mathematics is a great asset in breaking down a legal problem; although the person has to have decent writing skills.

colgate13
January 3rd, 2006, 07:50 AM
to echo ngineer, there is no pre-law program at Colgate, and yet many go on to successful careers as lawyers. I've got a good friend I graduated with that was a French and International Relations double major, went to Yale Law and, after clerking for a circuit court judge, is making the big bucks in corporate law in D.C.

Now, of course, they hate their job and want their life back, but that's a different discussion!

Fordham
January 3rd, 2006, 08:29 AM
Unless it's changed since I attended, Fordham has no "pre-law" either. We do, however, have a very highly ranked law school.

Odd, huh?

Pards Rule
January 3rd, 2006, 09:25 AM
I was LC "pre-law" disguised as a Government & Law major and now doing corporate real estate management (never became attorney - but no regrets)

GannonFan
January 3rd, 2006, 10:14 AM
Have they picked a new coach yet? Odd that they are taking so long with this - recruiting season is just finishing up this month and having a coach in place now would seem to be really important. UD didn't get Keeler until a month after the letters of intent (Tubby recruited his last class and then retired shortly after) and that necessitated the slew of transfers UD saw in Keeler's first year (about 8 in year 1 compared to 1-2 in most of the years after that). Any new word?

Coopernh
January 3rd, 2006, 10:21 AM
Andy Cohen is the guy!!! you'll it soon.

Pards Rule
January 3rd, 2006, 10:54 AM
OK waiting to hear....I sent an email to one of UPenn's asst coaches to ask.