PDA

View Full Version : Gardner-Webb at Coastal Carolina

elcid83
November 3rd, 2009, 10:35 AM
The Runnin' Bulldogs [5-3, 2-1] will load up their buses and head to Conway, South Carolina on Saturday to take on the Chanticleers of Coastal Carolina [3-5, 1-2]. Gardner-Webb is still licking their wounds after a tough loss to a good Stony Brook team. Gardner-Webb lost 4 fumbles on a soggy day which is 1 more lost fumble than they have had all year. [GW drops from #2 among all FCS teams in turnover margin to #8 this week.] Coastal Carolina comes off of an expected loss at the paws of the Clemson Tigers, but walk away with a large paycheck.

GW leads the Big South in Pass O, Total O, Sacks and Tackles for Loss. While Coastal does not lead the Big South in any reported team statistic, they are #2 in Pass D, Sacks and Tackles for Loss. Coastal's performance in these 3 areas could be troubling for Stan Doolittle and his passing scheme which has been very successful and efficient this season.

CCU's Phillip Oboh [#43] leads the Big South in Sacks with 5 for the year and GW's Marty Patterson [#39] and Matt Good each have 4 sacks for the year. Other individual stat leaders include: GW - Stan Doolittle [#8] - Total O; James Perry, III [#17] - Receptions per game and Receiving yds per game; and Marty Patterson [#39] - TFLs per game. For CCU, Josh Norman [#24] leads the Big South in ints with 4 and Jake Owen [#8] leads the conference in Kickoff Returns averaging 21.7 yds per return.

A win for GW keeps them in the hunt for the Big South Championship. Kickoff is at 12:30 and the weather forecast calls for 67 degrees and bright and sunny conditions. Should be a beautiful day for Big South football.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs005.snc3/11244_1181394489024_1053041569_30484390_2271424_n. jpg

SideLine Shooter
November 3rd, 2009, 11:00 AM
This could be a real Barn Burner.

g-webb1994
November 3rd, 2009, 11:50 AM
could be a case of the first team to 20 wins the game.....

biggie
November 3rd, 2009, 12:18 PM
Girl I work with is apparently related to a player on CC, she enjoyed the 'beach chicken' comment I mentioned.

Liberty2005
November 3rd, 2009, 12:31 PM
Coastal should easily come away with a win against Gwebb.

EagleDawg
November 3rd, 2009, 01:47 PM
If you read the posts of a lot of Coastal Fans this season, you would be hard pressed to find them saying they are going to win much less win anything easily. The Runnin Dawgs still have a shot at winning a conference championship even if it's sharing the pie. Gotta win out to do it and to win out means starting with a W this Saturday. GWebb is on to something with the first team to 20 wins. I haven't seen Coastal get to 20 often this season so I'll pick the Dawgs this week.

ToTheLeft
November 7th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Coastal up 7-0 early on the Runnin' Dawgs, but the Dawgs answer and make it 7-7.

Sly Fox
November 7th, 2009, 03:58 PM
CCU escapes after Norman picks off the Doolittle pass in the endzone in the final minute.

g-webb1994
November 7th, 2009, 04:53 PM
3 picks for Doolittle on the day. I can't wait for him to be gone....if his daddy wasn't on the staff, he would have been benched long long ago. A couple of our young QB's should be getting game reps in these last two games for next season, but daddy's boy will be given preference I am sure.
9-20 with 3 picks for a senior QB? Good riddance.

If not for getting two short fields to lead to touchdowns, we wouldn't have got to double digits on Coastal....a team whose defense has resembled a sieve all season.xsmhx Our vaunted defense seemed to vanish as well....nearly 500 yards given up.xnonono2x

Congrats to CCU on the win.

DawgFAN
November 7th, 2009, 07:12 PM
I agree g-webb 1994....I don't think you will be eating any crow this year

kirkblitz
November 7th, 2009, 09:13 PM
6 fumbles(4 lost), 1 blocked kick(led to td), 1 pick.

GW should have won this game we did EVERYTHING we could to let them have it. Maybe next year, till then we still suck xbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingx

clinchBoy
November 7th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Just another year for the webb! If you are just mediocre you can have a job there for over a decade. Patton and Birch are cut from the same mold!!! good riddance

elcid83
November 7th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Tough day for the Runnin' Bulldogs. Certainly, Stan cannot be held responsible for the entire loss. The defense played tough but they let Coastal rack up 437 yds of total O and they stayed on the field for too many long scoring drives for the Chanticleers. Coastal's D was prepared for our offensive scheme and did a good job of keeping our offense out of the end zone today. Our boys will need to regroup and get ready for Liberty. Hopefully today's injuries will be quick to heal and we will have a solid roster for next weekend. Next Saturday will be the last home game for our Seniors. All Bulldogs should be on hand to show their appreciation for their hard work and dedication.

This guy had 3 picks against us and caused a lot of our problems today.

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs050.snc3/13746_1186034765028_1053041569_30496116_1495166_n. jpg

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

kirkblitz
November 7th, 2009, 09:48 PM
3 pick school record, he also had a pick against clemson

zilla
November 7th, 2009, 09:56 PM
If it's any consolation GW fans, that's the best we've played all year long.

I still can't believe we committed four turnovers & suffered a blocked FG and still won the game. But I'll take it any day of the week.

elcid83, the kid with three picks this afternoon was Josh Norman. He's only a sophomore & likely our best player on defense. He's a lock for all-conference this year.

Good luck the rest of the way guys!

SuperJon
November 7th, 2009, 09:57 PM
elcid,

That's one of the coolest pictures I've seen this season.

GridFan
November 7th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Tough to be optimistic after that outcome today at the beach fellas. Tough. Hopefully they can beat PC at the end and finish 6-5. Tough to stomach six wins when you start out 5-2. Oh well. On to 2010.

DawgFAN
November 7th, 2009, 10:50 PM
[QUOTE=g-webb1994;1457436]3 picks for Doolittle on the day. I can't wait for him to be gone....if his daddy wasn't on the staff, he would have been benched long long ago. A couple of our young QB's should be getting game reps in these last two games for next season, but daddy's boy will be given preference I am sure.

Since Stan is a senior, will Coach Doolittle still be a coach next year....hmmmm? Does anyone know?

g-webb1994
November 7th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Playing an 0-10 PC in the finale won't be easy. PC started a true freshman RB today that ran for 274 yards against CSU....that's not a typo.

IaaScribe
November 7th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Any word on Jeffery Williams? Heard he got hurt in the fourth quarter down there.

elcid83
November 8th, 2009, 07:45 AM
elcid,

That's one of the coolest pictures I've seen this season.

Thanks, but, I wish it was a pic of my GW boys doing something good. It also requires the luck of being where the pic is and that involves a lot of luck.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs070.snc3/13746_1186032324967_1053041569_30496089_7049145_n. jpg

EagleDawg
November 8th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Guys, yes Stan Doolittle threw 3 picks yesterday and he himself would admit it wasn't a good performance but to those who want to lay the blame on Stan for GW's current 5-4 record, remember everything was looking pretty good just two weeks ago at 5-2, you don't know a dang thing about football. I'm not criticizing Tre Perry or Josh Miller for a critical penalty late in the 4th qtr when the Dawgs had a 3rd and 2 from around mid-field or Patrick Hall because I believe these kids play with all out effort. Unfortunately, mistakes are part of the game, they happen every week, in every game and are made by players of every caliber. Against SBU P. Hall put the ball on the ground 3 times in that game so I can't see how one can fault Stan for the SBU loss. I bet Stan would be the first to say that loss was not on P. Hall either. You win as a team, you lose as a team, players, coaches, fans. I am one to believe that players play as hard as they can, coaches coach as best they can and fans root as hard as they can. You have to trust that the coaches are playing the players and calling the plays that give you the best shot to win. Save those comments for after the game and direct it directly to the coach. It's simple, his email is on-line, have at it or call him in person or if you have a real set, go up to him in person after the season's over.

Some of the comments I heard in the stands yesterday were absurd, ugly and just plain uncalled for. It's not like the players or coaches can hear that junk from 30 yds. away with the other game noise going on. It just shows a lack of maturity, lack of knowledge, really a lack of true support for the program and players you pretend to want the best for.

As a player parent, no one is more disappointed than I am about the outcome of the last two weeks. GW has not been able to close the deal late in those games when leading and pretty much having the flow of the game go there way. To be fair, the coaching and the players play in the first half, even first 3 qtrs. has had the Dawgs on top or tied so it's really about finishing the game off. That the team as a collective group has been unable to that is something that needs to be fixed. I'm just one to believe that you don't throw the baby out with the bath water. I certainly hope that O-line Coach Doolittle returns, he's a really good O-line coach, a better person and he and his son are undeserving of the harsh comments that are far too often heard in the stands or on this board.

g-webb1994
November 8th, 2009, 01:12 PM
just a side note....G-W hasn't beaten Coastal since 2003....

a true test of intestinal fortitude by the players coming up against LU....do we crawl up into the fetal position and quit, or do we actually show up and play?

bulldogdad
November 8th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Guys, yes Stan Doolittle threw 3 picks yesterday and he himself would admit it wasn't a good performance but to those who want to lay the blame on Stan for GW's current 5-4 record, remember everything was looking pretty good just two weeks ago at 5-2, you don't know a dang thing about football. I'm not criticizing Tre Perry or Josh Miller for a critical penalty late in the 4th qtr when the Dawgs had a 3rd and 2 from around mid-field or Patrick Hall because I believe these kids play with all out effort. Unfortunately, mistakes are part of the game, they happen every week, in every game and are made by players of every caliber. Against SBU P. Hall put the ball on the ground 3 times in that game so I can't see how one can fault Stan for the SBU loss. I bet Stan would be the first to say that loss was not on P. Hall either. You win as a team, you lose as a team, players, coaches, fans. I am one to believe that players play as hard as they can, coaches coach as best they can and fans root as hard as they can. You have to trust that the coaches are playing the players and calling the plays that give you the best shot to win. Save those comments for after the game and direct it directly to the coach. It's simple, his email is on-line, have at it or call him in person or if you have a real set, go up to him in person after the season's over.

Some of the comments I heard in the stands yesterday were absurd, ugly and just plain uncalled for. It's not like the players or coaches can hear that junk from 30 yds. away with the other game noise going on. It just shows a lack of maturity, lack of knowledge, really a lack of true support for the program and players you pretend to want the best for.

As a player parent, no one is more disappointed than I am about the outcome of the last two weeks. GW has not been able to close the deal late in those games when leading and pretty much having the flow of the game go there way. To be fair, the coaching and the players play in the first half, even first 3 qtrs. has had the Dawgs on top or tied so it's really about finishing the game off. That the team as a collective group has been unable to that is something that needs to be fixed. I'm just one to believe that you don't throw the baby out with the bath water. I certainly hope that O-line Coach Doolittle returns, he's a really good O-line coach, a better person and he and his son are undeserving of the harsh comments that are far too often heard in the stands or on this board.

I agree 100% with your post Eagledawg. The problem is fan support. When we are up they cry and when we are down they cry and degrade the players and coaches. I heard the same comments at the SBU game. It is a shame that these fans can't grow up and support the TEAM 100% win or lose. As a player parent it is hard to listen to the fans degrade your son ,his coaches and his school. Thank God that mine does not come on this board to read some of comments from so called supporters.

SuperJon
November 8th, 2009, 03:12 PM
just a side note....G-W hasn't beaten Coastal since 2003....

a true test of intestinal fortitude by the players coming up against LU....do we crawl up into the fetal position and quit, or do we actually show up and play?

Since 2006, Liberty is 10-1 in the month of November. Gardner-Webb is 2-8. There's a lot going against G-W going into next week.

g-webb1994
November 8th, 2009, 10:17 PM
I agree 100% with your post Eagledawg. The problem is fan support. When we are up they cry and when we are down they cry and degrade the players and coaches. I heard the same comments at the SBU game. It is a shame that these fans can't grow up and support the TEAM 100% win or lose. As a player parent it is hard to listen to the fans degrade your son ,his coaches and his school. Thank God that mine does not come on this board to read some of comments from so called supporters.

OK....I'm curious.....I missed the SB game due to work, and didn't make the trek down to lovely Conway yesterday. Just what in the heck were our fans yelling during the homecoming game? What fans were throwing G-W the school under the bus?

I heard the actual turnout for homecoming this year was disappointing, but I haven't heard of our fans turning en masse at the games as y'all have put it.....

Oh, and SuperJon....nice stats there.....I just hope we show up and burst your bubble on Saturday......we've got to show some mettle.....

elcid83
November 9th, 2009, 08:25 AM
OK....I'm curious.....I missed the SB game due to work, and didn't make the trek down to lovely Conway yesterday. Just what in the heck were our fans yelling during the homecoming game? What fans were throwing G-W the school under the bus?

I heard the actual turnout for homecoming this year was disappointing, but I haven't heard of our fans turning en masse at the games as y'all have put it.....

Oh, and SuperJon....nice stats there.....I just hope we show up and burst your bubble on Saturday......we've got to show some mettle.....

94, I hate to disagree with one of our own, but your own post shows how uninformed your comments are. You are highly critical of your team's players and coaches and you aren't even at the games. The turnout for Homecoming was not disappointing for a cold and rainy weekend [unless you want to throw stones at the Stony Brook fans that didn't make the 700 mile trip]. I wish you knew Mike and Stan Doolittle. Our school could not have better representatives. Both work very hard to put a quality football team on the field and both of them hate to lose more than you or anyone you have ever met.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs050.snc3/13746_1186032564973_1053041569_30496092_8362701_n. jpg

g-webb1994
November 9th, 2009, 09:26 AM
So because my employment prevents me from attending a game or two it makes me less than a fan. Got it. That degree from the institution on my wall doesn't mean jack squat. Got it. That money I donate to the school every year so people like your own flesh and blood can have a shot at a quality education like the one I received there doesn't mean jack. Got it.

If questioning mediocre results year after year after year both on the field and in the classroom is being harsh and uninformed, so be it. As for not knowing people that hate losing more than Mr. Doolittle and his son, you don't know who I know or have known on that campus.....you are the misinformed one sir.

Even if I disagree with direction, etc., you won't see me up in the stands yelling like a banshee throwing the team, coaches, institution under the bus, which apparently some people have done or are doing, and it is apparently bad enough that you and two other G-W posters have mentioned it....I was just curious as to who these people were, alumni, donors, parents, or the like?

As for the upcoming game, I hope our players don't roll over and quit like what happened back in 2007 when Liberty last came to Spangler Stadium. We have the chance to play a big spoiler and really amp up an in-conference rivalry while doing so, and build some momentum back for 2010.

EagleDawg
November 9th, 2009, 10:31 AM
G-Webb1994 - I'm uncertain as to whether they were player parents, former player parents, alumni or fans. I will say it took all I could muster to not turn around and take on all four of them myself. To hear them, S. Doolittle sucks, ain't a FCS level QB, is only playing because his daddy is the coach, head coach sucks, OC sucks, etc. I just don't get it. As ElCid83 said, I really don't know of harder working or better people than Stan or Mike Doolittle. Stan had a poor game by his own standards but even with that said, the game was in the balance until less than 30 seconds to go. These folks were critical of everything, every play, every timeout, every substitution, you name it they were against it. Sorta makes you wonder why they even choose to show up. I didn't hear a positive word all day.

I don't think anyone likes mediocrity and it certainly looks like a 6-5 season is in the cards although I hold out a bit of hope for the Liberty game. I just don't know how you coach that much differently the last two weeks when your game plan has you ahead in the 3rd quarter. I really didn't notice any drastic changes in the play calling, just on the execution side. The turnover bug which until the last two weeks has not been an issue has reared it's ugly head at the wrong time. Injuries are an issue too, playing without Jeff Williams, Phillip Peoples and having Ced McGowan redshirt. Two of these kids were preseason all-conference so that doesn't help either. With that said, it's part of football and the team needs to find a way to close-out opportunties to win games. While I seriously doubt the players or coaches hear the negative stuff in the stands during the game, I do think it get's back to them. I have no problem with a person not liking where the program has been, is or is headed but all of that should be directed to the coach and A.D. and done so in my opinion in a private manner. Really, what good comes out of berating a player or an assistant coach or even the head coach during the course of the game.

I appreciate your support in all it's forms of GW but I also am certain that you would not have favored the commentary heard in the stands the last two weeks.

g-webb1994
November 9th, 2009, 11:11 AM
The thing that stuck out to me Eagle, and maybe elcid can chime in, is that this happened in Conway. That pretty much narrows your categories of fans down to parents, local alumni, and boosters. Your average everyday Joe-The-Plumber-GW-Fan is not going to make the 3+ hour trek down to Conway. I know any Bulldog Club member could pick up the phone and call Jason Diffenderfer, or even Chuck Burch, and express their concern or angst. I would hate to think it was players parents or family yelling that.

I never yell at players or coaches during a game. Referees on the other hand...different story....especially from my student days.xnodx

At least the weather Saturday will be near perfect, Ida will be long gone by then.....

Sly Fox
November 9th, 2009, 11:29 AM
I wasn't there and I have no direct knowledge. But my money would be on parents.

EagleDawg
November 9th, 2009, 11:52 AM
If they were parents, then I gotta say it's even more disgusting. Their sons are part of a team and they should know there is no "I" in team. I am also certain that they were not the parents of any other QB on the GW roster as I know the parents of each of those kids and also not the parents of any of the starting OL. They are without doubt though part of that sub-set of folks who no matter the game, football, basketball, baseball, lawn darts, potato sack races, you name it, they know the absolute best way to play it, know every proper play call, know the weakness and strength of every player on both the favored and opposing teams, well you get the picture, they know everything and IMO generally care about nothing other than the wasteful consumption of good oxygen. Wow, I feel better now!

Go Runnin Bulldogs!

Thumper250
November 9th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Agreed '94. If somebody has a beef with the HC or the direction of the football program, make some phone calls. No need to make a scene at the game. That does nobody any good. It's disrespectful IMO

kirkblitz
November 9th, 2009, 01:36 PM
what kind of fans are yall???? If your HC cant win a game when u get 6 TO's you should be yelling your heads off, I cant COUNT the number of times i've heard th whole stadium boo our coach and people yelling down at him ever since 07. You really think they give a damn about ur opinion though? Call them, im sure theyll pass u off the secretary and if not im sure they will be mocking u while u are on the phone with them.

Money talks but even when ur a heavy donor they dont give a **** because they can just tax the students more to make up for low donations.

bulldogdad
November 9th, 2009, 03:56 PM
[QUOTE=g-webb1994;1459006]OK....I'm curious.....I missed the SB game due to work, and didn't make the trek down to lovely Conway yesterday. Just what in the heck were our fans yelling during the homecoming game? What fans were throwing G-W the school under the bus?

Oh, and SuperJon....nice stats there.....I just hope we show up and burst your bubble on Saturday......we've got to show some mettle.....[/QUOTE

The comments came from some parents, alumni and fans in general. I thought it was just parents, but when I moved to 3 different locations I heard the same crap. The comments were the same as Eagledawg stated. The QB, OL, WR, RB, Coaches etc... all stink. Also thanks for your support 94. We are thankful for the education that our son is getting. But people should remember that this education is not free to them. They work their tales off for about 30 hours a week(football only) to earn this education. Fans have the right to scream and shout. But to call out players and coaches at the game or on this board is uncalled for.

bulldogdad
November 9th, 2009, 04:02 PM
G-Webb1994 - I'm uncertain as to whether they were player parents, former player parents, alumni or fans. I will say it took all I could muster to not turn around and take on all four of them myself. To hear them, S. Doolittle sucks, ain't a FCS level QB, is only playing because his daddy is the coach, head coach sucks, OC sucks, etc. I just don't get it. As ElCid83 said, I really don't know of harder working or better people than Stan or Mike Doolittle. Stan had a poor game by his own standards but even with that said, the game was in the balance until less than 30 seconds to go. These folks were critical of everything, every play, every timeout, every substitution, you name it they were against it. Sorta makes you wonder why they even choose to show up. I didn't hear a positive word all day.

I don't think anyone likes mediocrity and it certainly looks like a 6-5 season is in the cards although I hold out a bit of hope for the Liberty game. I just don't know how you coach that much differently the last two weeks when your game plan has you ahead in the 3rd quarter. I really didn't notice any drastic changes in the play calling, just on the execution side. The turnover bug which until the last two weeks has not been an issue has reared it's ugly head at the wrong time. Injuries are an issue too, playing without Jeff Williams, Phillip Peoples and having Ced McGowan redshirt. Two of these kids were preseason all-conference so that doesn't help either. With that said, it's part of football and the team needs to find a way to close-out opportunties to win games. While I seriously doubt the players or coaches hear the negative stuff in the stands during the game, I do think it get's back to them. I have no problem with a person not liking where the program has been, is or is headed but all of that should be directed to the coach and A.D. and done so in my opinion in a private manner. Really, what good comes out of berating a player or an assistant coach or even the head coach during the course of the game.

I appreciate your support in all it's forms of GW but I also am certain that you would not have favored the commentary heard in the stands the last two weeks.

I feel your pain Eagledawg. I sat behind this same group the SBU game for half the game before I had to move. They are parents and family of a player. xbawlingx

EagleDawg
November 9th, 2009, 05:04 PM
BulldogDad - I wonder if the player is aware how his family acts in the stands. If he does, he ought to be horribly embarrassed by it. If not, then that's at least part of a problem that needs to be corrected.

britt
November 10th, 2009, 01:02 PM
3 picks for Doolittle on the day. I can't wait for him to be gone....if his daddy wasn't on the staff, he would have been benched long long ago. A couple of our young QB's should be getting game reps in these last two games for next season, but daddy's boy will be given preference I am sure.

If not for getting two short fields to lead to touchdowns, we wouldn't have got to double digits on Coastal....a team whose defense has resembled a sieve all season.xsmhx Our vaunted defense seemed to vanish as well....nearly 500 yards given up.xnonono2x

Congrats to CCU on the win.

G WEBB I am not sure what you have been looking at but I think Doolittle has had a very good season, he has played hard all season, the CCU was not one of his better games, but he does not have all day to find receivers like CCU and most other teams have had all year. He is constantly under pressure.

As far as the Defense is concerned they have played exceptional again this year, you can not expect your defense to stay on the field all game and continue to maintain the same intensity, especially with so many injuries on that side of the ball. The secondary has been ailing all year and those kids continue to give everything that they have. We lost Williams and James at the beginnning of the fourth quarter which I think played a big part in GWU's loss. The kids have heart and they never give up, the coaching staff has to adjust and put them in winning positions!

EagleDawg
November 11th, 2009, 01:33 PM
At the expense of beating a dead horse the link posted in another thread here on AGS related to the firing of Tommy West at Memphis State is so dang appropriate to my earlier posts in this thread. For all of those who pull for Gardner-Webb and those who proclaim to do so, please listen to this link. There are probably dozens of other programs whose fans should do the same. Tommy West you said it better than I've heard anybody say it in a long time. In essence be part of the solution, don't become part of the problem.

http://www.opensports.com/community/user/blog_entry/52/fa890d35-5b0a-45af-aa16-4a89588425e9