PDA

View Full Version : Post Season Analysis - Three Weeks To Go

Go Apps
November 2nd, 2009, 01:34 PM
Here are a few clarifications for who is and who is eligible for the playoff field:
The Ivy League does not participate; SWAC will send its division champions to the SWAC title game; teams are also ineligible: Bryant, UTC, C. Arkansas, Jacksonville State, NC Central, North Dakota, Presbyterian, South Dakota, and Winston Salem St.

Take a look at the prospects of FCS teams that can still entertain realistic playoff hopes heading into the last three weeks of the regular season. Schools are ranked by their chances of making the field, as determined by Me. Current overall and conference records are in parentheses, and each team’s remaining schedule is listed with a brief synopsis of its chances. The rank below is based on being in the tournament.

1. Richmond (8-0, 6-0 CAA)
The Games: Villanova (11/7), at Georgetown (11/14), W&M (11/21)

Outlook: The Spiders appear to headed back to the playoffs, 2 more wins will secure that – but a top seed and Autobid is at hand, 3 losses in last could be trouble, but not likely for the defending champs..

2. Montana (8-0, 5-0 Big Sky)
The Games: at Idaho State (11/7), N Colorado (11/14), at Montana State (11/21)

Outlook: Secure 2 more wins and you are in – 3 losses at the end could pose trouble however they appear to be in the drivers seat to a top 4 seed and Autobid for the Big Sky. Montana State is the only real remaining threat to an undefeated regular season.

3. Elon (7-1, 5-0 Southern)
The Games: at Western Carolina (11/7), ASU (11/14), at Samford (11/21)

Outlook: Elon is the class of the SoCon so far this year with ASU’s up and downs. However the game with ASU will determine their fate – I see a top four seed if they can win out – at the moment that looks likely.

4. Villanova (7-1, 4-1 CAA)
The Games: at Richmond (11/7), at Towson (11/14), Delaware (11/21)

Outlook: The outlook is good for Villanova but they can still capture the Autobid and a top 4 seed – they have two weeks to prepare for Richmond – will it payoff?

5. Southern Illinois (7-1, 6-0 MVC)
The Games: at South Dakota State (11/7), MO State (11/14), at SE MO St (11/21)

Outlook: S. Illinois’s fortunes could be changing, after losing their starting quarterback and an interesting schedule the rest of the way. This week will provide a great opportunity to secure a post-season and Autobid – a lose and things could head south – either way I still see this team in the postseason.

6. South Carolina State (6-1. 4-0 MEAC)
The Games: at Howard (11/7), Morgan State (11/14), at NC A&T (11/21)

Outlook: Things are looking great for the dogs for the Autobid, only an upset could derail their chances. A first round game is their goal but unlikely based on regional scenarios – but a lot of football left.

7. South Dakota State (7-1, 6-0 MVC)
The Games: S. Illinois (11/7), at Minnesota (11/14), at W. Illinois (11/21)

Outlook: They must win two more to secure the post season berth, a possible MVC autobid is very much within their reach. This weekend the rabbits helped eliminate the Penguins from postseason consideration.

8. New Hampshire (7-1, 4-1 CAA)
The Games: Rhode Island (11/7), at W&M (11/14), Maine (11/21)

Outlook: The best thing for NH is their schedule, only W&M should pose a real threat and even at 3 losses they are in the field. They have a shot at capturing a top seed.

9. William & Mary (7-1, 4-1 CAA)
The Games: Towson (11/7), N Hampshire (11/14), at Richmond (11/21)

Outlook: Two more losses could be in store for the tribe but if they win out they could steal the Autobid and secure a top seed. It is a horse race for the top 4 teams in the Colonial – last two weeks will sort it all out.

10. Appalachian State (6-2, 5-0 Southern)
The Games: UTC (11/7), at Elon (11/14), Western Carolina (11/21)

Outlook: The Mountaineers have been playing for their playoff lives for the last 5 weeks – so far they have responded, however 2 losses and they are out! 3 wins and they could be a top 4 seed. Even with one more loss – the Mountaineers will be playing at home for Round 1, this looks likely as Elon appears to too tough to beat.

11. Holy Cross (7-1, 3-0 Patriot)
The Games: at Lehigh (11/7) Lafayette (11/14), at Bucknell (11/21)

Outlook: They have taken the lead in the Patriot, winning out will secure the Autobid. The goal is here is to keep winning – any lose could keep this team at home for Thanksgiving.

12. McNeese State (6-2, 3-1 Southland)
The Games: Sam Houston State (11/7), at Texas State (11/14), C. Arkansas (11/21)

Outlook: A huge win at ASU keeps the Cowboys in – but a tough slate of games ahead could push this team right our of the post season. An Autobid is still within reach but winning must be their only goal!

13. Northern Iowa (5-3, 3-2 MVC)
The Games: Youngstown State (11/7), W. Illinois (11/14), at Illinois State (11/21)

Outlook: MUST WIN OUT! The Penguins could derail this talented teams playoff hopes.

14. Eastern Kentucky/Eastern Illinois/ Tenn Tech/Tenn State (OVC)
The Games:

Outlook: AB No longer matters, a down year for this conference – someone will get the Autobid and that will be it. Eastern Illinois is starting to look like the winner of this shootout.

15. Colgate (8-1, 3-1 Patriot)
The Games: at Layfayette (11/7), Bucknell (11/14)

Outlook: Colgate can ill afford another loss – but should be in good shape for the playoffs if they win their last 2. I continue to like the chances of Colgate this weeks game could seal the deal.

16. SF Austin (6-2, 3-1 Southland)
The Games: Nichols State (11/7), at SE Louisana (11/14), at N’western State (11/21)

Outlook: SFA took a big step backwards this weekend, know a log jam at the top of the Southland conference, the showdown with SEL will be big – no guarantee of a playoff berth with three losses.

17. Florida A&M (6-2, 4-1 MEAC)
The Games: NC A&T (11/7), at Hampton(11/14), at Bethune Cookman(11/21)

Outlook: An interesting scenario as the MEAC is making a run at two bids this year, the rattlers will need to win out to keep that talk going – if they do it would potentially eliminate a bubble team from around the country. A huge victory this weekend keeps the them in the mix and took Morgan State out of consideration.

18. Northern Arizona (5-3, 4-2 Big Sky)
The Games: at Ole Miss (11/7), at Weber State (11/14), Eastern Washington (11/21)

Outlook: A major hit this weekend, they must win out and it seems nearly impossible.

19. Layfayette (7-1, 3-0 Patriot)
The Games: Colgate (11/7), at Holy Cross (11/14), at Lehigh (11/21)

Outlook: Must win out but a tough schedule remains, the playoffs begin this weekend!

20. SE Louisana (5-3, 3-1 Southland)
The Games: at N’western State (11/7), SFA (11/14), Nichols State (11/21)

Outlook: Can still win the Autobid but a lot of football left to be played. A stunning victory this past weekend puts them in a very good position. They will need to keep winning as another loss sends the Lions packing.

21. Liberty (6-2, 3-0 Big South)
The Games: VMI (11/7), at Gardner Webb (11/14), at Stony Brook (11/21)

Outlook: Things got a little brighter this weekend for the flames – they need a couple more weeks of elimination to be a true contender – losses by E. Washington, UNI, Delaware, SE Louis, Layfayette, Colgate and N. Arizona will really help their chances.

22. Central Connecticut State (7-1, 5-0 Northeast)
The Games: at Wagner (11/7), Monmonth (11/14), at St Francis (11/21)

Outlook: This team is starting to look like a real contender – only a lone loss to W&M which actually helps their chances. However not a strong schedule will mean a lot of losses for bubble teams will need to occur.

22. Butler (8-0, 5-0 Pioneer)
The Games: at Dayton (11/7), at Jacksonville (11/14), Drake (11/21)

Outlook: An undefeated season is within their grasp, but they will need to do just that to be in consideration for an at large berth.

22. Delaware (5-3, 3-3 CAA)
The Games: Hofstra (11/7), at Navy (11/14), at Villanova (11/21)

Outlook: The Hens may have seen their playoff hopes vanish this weekend, they must win out just to be considered.

23. Weber State (5-4, 5-2 Big Sky)
The Games: N Arizona (11/14), at Cal Poly (11/21)

Outlook: Weber may have played themselves right out of post season consideration – they really needed the win this weekend to keep hope alive – they still have a small outside chance, but again they must win out. Only the fact that two of their losses are to FBS schools keeps them in the playoff chase.

24. Montana State (5-3, 3-2 Big Sky)
The Games: Portland State (11/7), Sacramento State (11/14), Montana (11/21)

Outlook: Win out and you could be in the post season – slip up and you are certainly out. They game at Montana could be for a playoff bid.

Others that I am watching…Drake, Dayton and Eastern Washington

Below are my current projections for the I-AA playoff field and possible match-ups, based on expectations for the remaining games this season.

Automatic Bids: Patriot: Holy Cross, A10: Richmond, Big Sky: Montana, Southland: McNeese St., Southern: Elon, Gateway: South Dakota St., MEAC: SCSt, OVC: E. Illinois

At-large: Villanova, N. Iowa, N. Hamp, W&M, S Ill, ASU, SFA, Fla A&M.

Seeds: Montana, Richmond, N. Hamp, Elon

Last In: SFA and Fla A&M
Last Out: Colgate, Liberty and Weber State

Bracket I: Fla A&M at No. 1 Richmond; Holy Cross at Villanova;
SFA at No. 4 N Hamp; SCSt at ASU

Bracket II: S. Dakota State at No. 2 Montana; McNeese State at N. Iowa;
W&M at No. 3 Elon; E. Ill @ S. Ill

NOTES:
*Based on my projections, the best first round game, SDak St/Montana and SFA/N. Hampshire.
*Best potential 2nd Round game, Villanova/Richmond
*Based on my projections, most likely upset – S Dakota State over Montana.
*NC game based on my projections, Richmond vs. Elon – Richmond wins it all…

Big Dawg
November 2nd, 2009, 01:44 PM
We're actually 6-2 and 4-1 in the MEAC.

I like this detailed outlook though. Alot of things can happen over the next 3 weeks.

soccerguy315
November 2nd, 2009, 01:49 PM
nice job!

My only comment is: I don't think Elon controls their own destiny regarding a seed, but we shall see! For instance, if Montana wins out, Southern Illinois wins out, Villanova wins out, and Richmond loses to Nova, but beats W&M, I think Elon will be behind those 4 teams.

McNeese75
November 2nd, 2009, 01:50 PM
Hummmm, if both teams win out why would a higher ranked McNeese team travel to UNI? xconfusedx

Go Apps
November 2nd, 2009, 01:53 PM
One my rankings are based on my belief of how things will go - so it changes from week to week...

As for the playoff games - it just comes down to location and pairings - then the bids - with the projected field that I have, it would be a difficult pairing of teams ...

MSU_77
November 2nd, 2009, 02:01 PM
Hummmm, if both teams win out why would a higher ranked McNeese team travel to UNI? xconfusedx

If McNeese wins the SLC AQ and Northern Iowa is an at-large qualifier, I believe UNI will travel to Lake Charles. If McNeese ends up with an at-large spot, I believe they will travel to (shudder) Montana.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 2nd, 2009, 02:03 PM
You left out EWU, which is more likely for an at large than MSU.

Khan4Cats
November 2nd, 2009, 02:06 PM

I don't think that would be the case. I would expect UNI could out-bid a lot of teams, not sure that McNeese would be one of them.

If McNeese wins the SLC AQ and Northern Iowa is an at-large qualifier, I believe UNI will travel to Lake Charles. If McNeese ends up with an at-large spot, I believe they will travel to (shudder) Montana.

A lot will depend on SDSU-SIU this week. If SDSU wins and gets the MVFC auto, UNI or an at-large SLC (or even a Texas State or SELA auto) could get sent to Montana in round 1. If SIU wins this week and SDSU then loses to Minnesota, finishing 8-3 (assuming a win over WIU) they could be the ones sent to Montana for round 1.

Khan4Cats
November 2nd, 2009, 02:11 PM

Why?

Because they only lost their FBS game by 52 or that their best win would be over Montana State or Northern Arizona.

Compared to McNeese who lost thier FSB game by 10 and owns a win over Appalachian State in Boone.

That's assuming McNeese loses one of their final 3 games and finishing 8-3 with 7 D-I wins, just like EWU. If the Cowboys finish at 9-2 (win out) they are in over EWU easily, even if they don't get the auto-bid.

IaaScribe
November 2nd, 2009, 02:16 PM
Florida A&M's only win against a team with a winning record will be against Morgan State. That's not an at-large resume.

kirkblitz
November 2nd, 2009, 02:18 PM
man this fb season flew by!

McNeese75
November 2nd, 2009, 02:19 PM
Why?

Because they only lost their FBS game by 52 or that their best win would be over Montana State or Northern Arizona.

Compared to McNeese who lost thier FSB game by 10 and owns a win over Appalachian State in Boone.

That's assuming McNeese loses one of their final 3 games and finishing 8-3 with 7 D-I wins, just like EWU. If the Cowboys finish at 9-2 (win out) they are in over EWU easily, even if they don't get the auto-bid.

He is probably talking about the OTHER MSU :D (Montana State)

HighRyder08
November 2nd, 2009, 02:20 PM

Outlook: The Mountaineers have been playing for their playoff lives for the last 5 weeks – so far they have responded, however 2 losses and they are out! 3 wins and they could be a top 4 seed. Even with one more loss – the Mountaineers will be playing at home for Round 1, this looks likely as Elon appears to too tough to beat.

DUMB COMMENT. that is all im going to say

Go Apps
November 2nd, 2009, 02:26 PM
I hope you are right - but they look very good right now and the ASU defense can't stop a good team

DLS
November 2nd, 2009, 02:35 PM
I hope you are right - but they look very good right now and the ASU defense can't stop a good team

i wouldnt say "can't" but youre right in that they havent yet. I dont think anyone here is going to deny the talent we have on defense or the potential we have to defend against anyone we want. it's really a question on whether or not they'll stop letting big plays happen.

R.A.
November 2nd, 2009, 03:15 PM
man this fb season flew by!

I'm 26 now and it feels just like that for me also.

Grizzaholic
November 2nd, 2009, 03:21 PM
The Griz play AT MSU this year. Just a FYI.

GolfingGriz
November 2nd, 2009, 04:31 PM
Great break down but you definately left EWU out. If they can win out they will make the field. Their last tough game is against NAU on the road, but considering how NAU falls on their face late in the year I think they will get it done.

Runner
November 2nd, 2009, 04:53 PM
Florida A&M's only win against a team with a winning record will be against Morgan State. That's not an at-large resume.

We are being talked about for a reason. To be honest with you i don't think we have the playoff caliber team thatIwant us to have, but we are close enough for folks to take notice. No matter how you look at it, their will be some disappointed folks on Nov 22nd.

IaaScribe
November 2nd, 2009, 04:55 PM
Great break down but you definately left EWU out. If they can win out they will make the field. Their last tough game is against NAU on the road, but considering how NAU falls on their face late in the year I think they will get it done.

Do you really think Southern Utah on the road is not a tough game?

TBIRDSFN10
November 2nd, 2009, 04:58 PM

I am so glad EWU only has ONE TOUGH game left..thats a relief..LOL...so glad that SUU team really sucks this year that we can automatically call it a win.

Eastern Washington @ Southern Utah

Guess we know who hasn't been looking up scores of previous games.xreadx

fantheflames71
November 2nd, 2009, 05:06 PM
how will Lafayette losing really help Liberty's chances?

AshevilleApp
November 2nd, 2009, 05:08 PM
Outlook: Elon is the class of the SoCon so far this year with ASU’s up and downs. However the game with ASU will determine their fate – I see a top four seed if they can win out – at the moment that looks likely.

ASU's up and downs....hmm let's see - lost to a FBS team in a close game...no biggie. Lost to a good Mcneese State team at home by 5 pts thanks to a poor defensive performance - ok. Have won 6 straight......Where are the up and downs?? I agree that Elon should be ranked above ASU but class of the SoCon? Not yet

GolfingGriz
November 2nd, 2009, 05:10 PM
I am so glad EWU only has ONE TOUGH game left..thats a relief..LOL...so glad that SUU team really sucks this year that we can automatically call it a win.

Eastern Washington @ Southern Utah

Guess we know who hasn't been looking up scores of previous games.xreadx

You're right, I should have mentioned SUU. I just think EWU is playing really well and will win out. Thinking about it again, the thunderbirds will probably play a better game. I dont think either will be within 15 points especially with EWU coming off of a bye.

AppAlum2003
November 2nd, 2009, 05:12 PM
ASU's up and downs....hmm let's see - lost to a FBS team in a close game...no biggie. Lost to a good Mcneese State team at home by 5 pts thanks to a poor defensive performance - ok. Have won 6 straight......Where are the up and downs?? I agree that Elon should be ranked above ASU but class of the SoCon? Not yet

C'mon, AA... you can't seriously deny that the defense has been "up and down" this year. ASU was trailing at the half against a 1 - 5 Wofford team and had to take The Citadel to OT.

Now, I'll agree that a win is a win is a win. However, to say that ASU has not struggled this year is a little far fetched.

As far as I'm concerned, Elon has looked scary this year so far. Sure, they haven't played anyone but neither has ASU (McNeese being the only difference.) They appear to be a very complete team and should give the Mountaineers a good game.

TBIRDSFN10
November 2nd, 2009, 05:19 PM
You're right, I should have mentioned SUU. I just think EWU is playing really well and will win out. Thinking about it again, the thunderbirds will probably play a better game. I dont think either will be within 15 points especially with EWU coming off of a bye.

I am the type of fan that likes to take it one game at a time and never underestimates the next opponent...That being said we have South Dakota this week....

I will be happy to focus on EWU next week!xsmiley_wix

SUU loves being the Underdog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!xthumbsupx

AshevilleApp
November 2nd, 2009, 05:23 PM
AppAlum2003,

I'll agree that the defense has some holes/inconsistency...not sure which or possibly both, but those close type games are won by good teams and we pulled them out. The Citadel is a good team, inconsistent but good and that was an away game. Wofford is down this year no-doubt but they are always tough. Elon will of course be a tough game...I just see App on a late season roll right now

Ronbo
November 2nd, 2009, 05:24 PM
Why?

Let's see, will you please go back and find the last time an 8-3 Big Sky team was snubbed? Will you look up the last time the Big Sky got just one bid. The Big Sky is better this season than it has been in years. #2-#5 are all pretty even talentwise and have beat up on each other. Then they schedule all those Pac 10, SEC, and MWC games that makes their records look worse. EWU, NAU, Weber, and MSU could all do damage in the 1st and 2nd rounds. They have given us fits but that prepares us for the playoffs.

I'll say again, the Big Sky will not be a 1 bid Conference. Write that down.

AppAlum2003
November 2nd, 2009, 05:25 PM
Trust me, I hope you're right, Asheville.

CamelCityAppFan
November 2nd, 2009, 05:56 PM
Trust me, I hope you're right, Asheville.

I think App is peaking at the right time...a scary number of ways to beat you on offense, and (finally) a defense that seems to have found a way to do just enough.

technocat
November 2nd, 2009, 06:08 PM

That is a hard statement to prove. IF MSU wins out they will have been the only team to take down Montana who will be in the top 4 barring a major collapse at ISU or against PSU. We also beat Weber(when they were ranked #14 or something) and will be on a four game winning streak. You could just point to the head to head match up but 2006 proved that doesn't always hold serve. I would prefer the Big Sky got three teams in cause I think we could do a lot of damage if we didn't have to play each other(which we would of course). xpeacex

Its all moot if either of us loses anyway....

Screamin_Eagle174
November 2nd, 2009, 07:30 PM

SUU will be the tougher game in my opinion. I'm worried that the bye is going to allow the players to lose focus instead of gain it... I hope I'm wrong. When you play a game every week, you get into a rhythm. The bye will break that rhythm. I think NAU will be beat up and tired after their 3 straight road games... getting beat on by Miss this week and having to face Weber the next. Time will tell.

fltheadgriz
November 2nd, 2009, 07:39 PM
For the BSC the next 3 weeks are going to be interesting and very intense for those involved. It should be extremely fun to watch.

R.A.
November 2nd, 2009, 08:57 PM
A&T, Hampton, and Bethune- Cookman are red flag games for FAMU. They're walking a wire right now. If they get to the other side at 9-2 (7-1 MEAC), the Rattlers WILL make the playoffs.

BUT...

... I think the Rattlers will be completely gased out upon reaching the playoffs, and that their first round contest will be a route.

That's how I feel.

AS for South Carolina State, the Bulldogs can go all the way this season folks.

52-10 over Delaware State???

The Bulldogs almost beat the Hornets by as much as Michigan did (63-3). Delaware only defeated Del State 27-17.

And remember folks, this is the same Bulldog team that would have gone into halftime with the lead over the Gamecocks by a touchdown if wasn't called back.

SCSU's the real deal.

Khan4Cats
November 3rd, 2009, 02:03 PM
He is probably talking about the OTHER MSU :D (Montana State)

Okay, I can see that as being an interesting debate. EWU has the head to head, Montana State would have the win over Montana.

Let's see, will you please go back and find the last time an 8-3 Big Sky team was snubbed? Will you look up the last time the Big Sky got just one bid. The Big Sky is better this season than it has been in years. #2-#5 are all pretty even talentwise and have beat up on each other. Then they schedule all those Pac 10, SEC, and MWC games that makes their records look worse. EWU, NAU, Weber, and MSU could all do damage in the 1st and 2nd rounds. They have given us fits but that prepares us for the playoffs.

I'll say again, the Big Sky will not be a 1 bid Conference. Write that down.

I'm not worried about the last time this or that, I am looking at this year. I realize the Big Sky is good competition, so are the CAA, SOCON, MVFC. I'm looking at the records right now, and it's possible that there could be two Southland teams at 9-2 (SFA and McNeese) and a UNI at 8-3 with 8 D-I wins that would be ahead of a Big Sky team with only 7 D-I wins. Not saying they are out or in. My original comparison was between McNeese and EWU, and I stand by my analysis that McNeese wins that comparison everytime if they are 9-2 or 8-3. Now a UNI at 8-3 vs a EWU at 8-3 (7-3) might be debate, especially if the Southland gets a second team, but the argument would be more about should a third MVFC team make it over a second Big Sky. My guess is that UNI gets the nod and boards a plane to Montana, while the Southland duo and SIU/SDSU are matched up with each other.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 3rd, 2009, 02:16 PM
Okay, I can see that as being an interesting debate. EWU has the head to head, Montana State would have the win over Montana.

I'm not worried about the last time this or that, I am looking at this year. I realize the Big Sky is good competition, so are the CAA, SOCON, MVFC. I'm looking at the records right now, and it's possible that there could be two Southland teams at 9-2 (SFA and McNeese) and a UNI at 8-3 with 8 D-I wins that would be ahead of a Big Sky team with only 7 D-I wins. Not saying they are out or in. My original comparison was between McNeese and EWU, and I stand by my analysis that McNeese wins that comparison everytime if they are 9-2 or 8-3. Now a UNI at 8-3 vs a EWU at 8-3 (7-3) might be debate, especially if the Southland gets a second team, but the argument would be more about should a third MVFC team make it over a second Big Sky. My guess is that UNI gets the nod and boards a plane to Montana, while the Southland duo and SIU/SDSU are matched up with each other.

UNI hasn't beat any quality opponents, which is what the committee will look at. Sadly, your best win is against a transitioning South Dakota team. If EWU wins out, our wins against NAU, MSU, and SAC would be more impressive than wins against Missouri State, YSU, and USD.

__________________________________________________ ________________

http://willie.championshipsubdivision.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/Eastern-Washington.png
http://willie.championshipsubdivision.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/SEATTLE.png
http://www.myuploadedimages.com/images/k95llqjo84pr9jiom2c.png
http://willie.championshipsubdivision.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/FCSFANSB.png

Fear the Bird
November 3rd, 2009, 02:21 PM
52-10 over Delaware State???

The Bulldogs almost beat the Hornets by as much as Michigan did (63-3). Delaware only defeated Del State 27-17.

SCSU's the real deal.

Ha gotta love how Delaware gets no respect all year, and then the week after they lose to a JMU team that has gotten zero respect on these boards, they are used in an example of how good SCSU isxnonono2x

Screamin_Eagle174
November 3rd, 2009, 02:28 PM
Ha gotta love how Delaware gets no respect all year, and then the week after they lose to a JMU team that has gotten zero respect on these boards, they are used in an example of how good SCSU isxnonono2x

I don't get what you're trying to say. Any way you flip that analysis, it indicates that SC State is a much better team than Delaware. I think that loss to JMU only served to show that Delaware is OVER-hyped. xcoffeex

http://willie.championshipsubdivision.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/Eastern-Washington.png
http://willie.championshipsubdivision.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/SEATTLE.png
http://www.myuploadedimages.com/images/k95llqjo84pr9jiom2c.png
http://willie.championshipsubdivision.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/FCSFANSB.png

Fear the Bird
November 3rd, 2009, 02:38 PM
I don't get what you're trying to say. Any way you flip that analysis, it indicates that SC State is a much better team than Delaware. I think that loss to JMU only served to show that Delaware is OVER-hyped. xcoffeex

That's what I am saying exactly - all along everyone on this board has been saying Delaware is overhyped and they were proved correctly this weekend so how can you use a comparison of scores with a similar opponent (Delaware State in this case) as an example of good SCSU is?

I personally don't know how good SCSU is and am not questioning that here, just saying I don't get that rationale that they must be better than people say because they blew out a team that hung with Delaware.

Squealofthepig
November 3rd, 2009, 02:40 PM
Bracket I: Fla A&M at No. 1 Richmond; Holy Cross at Villanova;
SFA at No. 4 N Hamp; SCSt at ASU

Bracket II: S. Dakota State at No. 2 Montana; McNeese State at N. Iowa;
W&M at No. 3 Elon; E. Ill @ S. Ill

Great write-up as always! What I find interesting about this particular bracket (and how a lot of the brackets will shape up with regionalization out west) is that, if you're a McNeese believer, you could see them taking a path to the national championship that would have taken them not only through Chattanooga, but also The Rock, The Dome and Wa-Griz. Now THAT would be one amazing feat!

Go Apps
November 3rd, 2009, 02:58 PM
Beat Navy and we will talk - otherwise the Hens are out of the mix...

Fear the Bird
November 3rd, 2009, 02:59 PM
You guys are completely misreading my post - nobody is saying put Delaware in the mix...I'm saying don't use Delaware as a barometer of how good SCSU is based on results against Delaware State.

McNeese72
November 3rd, 2009, 03:12 PM
One team missing in the original post is Texas St. I think they can still get the autobid if they win out (which means beating McNeese) and SLU loses another game. They will hold the head to head tie breaker with SFA.

Doc

soccerguy315
November 3rd, 2009, 04:06 PM
the Delaware poster is just saying this:

South Carolina St. squashing Delaware State does not mean SCSU is a good team. If you want to use the SCSU/DSU/UD results, all you can argue is that "SCSU is better than Delaware."

And if Delaware is not actually very good, then SCSU, while better than Delaware, might not actually be good either.

UNH Fanboi
November 3rd, 2009, 04:13 PM
Any team who has to point to their margin of victory over Delaware State is obviously grasping at straws. OMG, UNH crushed Towson!!! Chatty here were come!!!

Eight Legger
November 3rd, 2009, 04:17 PM
1. Richmond (8-0, 6-0 CAA)
The Games: Villanova (11/7), at Georgetown (11/14), W&M (11/21)

Outlook: The Spiders appear to headed back to the playoffs, 2 more wins will secure that – but a top seed and Autobid is at hand, 3 losses in last could be trouble, but not likely for the defending champs..

Damn, so we need to go 10-1 just to MAKE the playoffs? And here I thought I could relax a little. Oh well.

GreatAppSt
November 3rd, 2009, 07:27 PM

DUMB COMMENT. that is all im going to sayxoutofrepx

GreatAppSt
November 3rd, 2009, 07:29 PM
ASU's up and downs....hmm let's see - lost to a FBS team in a close game...no biggie. Lost to a good Mcneese State team at home by 5 pts thanks to a poor defensive performance - ok. Have won 6 straight......Where are the up and downs?? I agree that Elon should be ranked above ASU but class of the SoCon? Not yetxoutofrepx

Screamin_Eagle174
November 3rd, 2009, 08:38 PM
Like I thought.. all the mod's here have hidden agenda's and make up infractions against members whom they don't like. You're all a bunch of f u c king cowards. All you're doing is causing everyone to go over to CHAMPIONSHIPSUBDIVISION.COM and never come back to this pathetic site. It is truly amazing that so many immature cowards subjectively moderate this place without any accountability or repercussions for their actions. Go **** yourselves **** stains!!!

Khan4Cats
November 4th, 2009, 09:09 AM
UNI hasn't beat any quality opponents, which is what the committee will look at. Sadly, your best win is against a transitioning South Dakota team. If EWU wins out, our wins against NAU, MSU, and SAC would be more impressive than wins against Missouri State, YSU, and USD.

Um, if you're just going to look at conference foes for 'good wins' for EWU, then look at conference foes for UNI, too. That would mean MoSt, YSU, and Illinois State-all of whom are better than Sac. But even so, EWU's trio currently sport a 13-11 mark, while UNI's are 13-12. Huge gap, obviously.xrolleyesx Now EWU does get a shot at SUU, which would appear to be a better win than USD. Assuming that SUU is able to beat USD this week. In reality, UNI and EWU have beaten tthe near.500 teams on their schedule, and lost to the well above .500 teams, oh wait, Weber State falls into the near .500 category.xoopsx

And you are still counting on the committee being more concerned about balancing picks from a certain conference than the total number of D-I wins. 8 is still greater than 7. No 'great' wins for either side, no 'bad' losses for UNI, though.

IaaScribe
November 4th, 2009, 09:12 AM
I really think an 8-3 UNI team is a stone-cold lock.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 4th, 2009, 09:15 AM
I really think an 8-3 UNI team is a stone-cold lock.

If UNI finishes 8-3 I would be shocked if they didn't make the field

DetroitFlyer
November 4th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Pretty good analysis. I'm happy to see that Butler, Dayton and Drake are on your radar. My personal thought is that either Drake or Dayton will win the PFL. If I were to rate the chances today, I would say Drake is favored, followed by Dayton then Butler. Of course we will actually play the games to find out for certain. Exciting finish to the PFL this year, and great to see Butler and Drake in the mix. The PFL, like many FCS conferences, is becoming more and more competitive within the conference.

kalm
November 4th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Um, if you're just going to look at conference foes for 'good wins' for EWU, then look at conference foes for UNI, too. That would mean MoSt, YSU, and Illinois State-all of whom are better than Sac. But even so, EWU's trio currently sport a 13-11 mark, while UNI's are 13-12. Huge gap, obviously.xrolleyesx Now EWU does get a shot at SUU, which would appear to be a better win than USD. Assuming that SUU is able to beat USD this week. In reality, UNI and EWU have beaten tthe near.500 teams on their schedule, and lost to the well above .500 teams, oh wait, Weber State falls into the near .500 category.xoopsx

And you are still counting on the committee being more concerned about balancing picks from a certain conference than the total number of D-I wins. 8 is still greater than 7. No 'great' wins for either side, no 'bad' losses for UNI, though.

Again, the DI wins thing rears it's ugly head.

EWU's win against WOU hurts, but UNI's win against St. Francis helps. And in your analysis, EWU's resume is further hurt by Weber State's two close FBS losses which relagate them to a near .500 team when in reality their FCS record has only two losses - one to a + .500 team who will finish 7-4 at the worst in the #3 GPI conference in the nation and the other to the #2 ranked team in the nation at home.

All the while FAMU, Libery, Colgate, and Lehigh fans are using wins against the likes of Delaware State and Stony Brook to prop up their kick ass resume as justification for their human poll rankings and selection into the playoffs.

It would be like us using Western Oregon and their 5-4 record and 2nd place standing in DII GNAC to support EWU's legitimacy.

Crock.

Go Apps
November 4th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Pretty good analysis. I'm happy to see that Butler, Dayton and Drake are on your radar. My personal thought is that either Drake or Dayton will win the PFL. If I were to rate the chances today, I would say Drake is favored, followed by Dayton then Butler. Of course we will actually play the games to find out for certain. Exciting finish to the PFL this year, and great to see Butler and Drake in the mix. The PFL, like many FCS conferences, is becoming more and more competitive within the conference.
Yes one of them has a good shot - I see lots of teams losing - EW, Delaware, Texas St, N. Ariz, Mont State, Colgate, Lafayette, Weber St and a UNI loss would be huge -but you need to root against Cent Conn St and Liberty

elon77
November 4th, 2009, 01:46 PM
W&M at Elon, I like that.xthumbsupx

joecooll6
November 4th, 2009, 04:27 PM
No Pioneer League talk this year please. Their argument is usually somewhat interesting, but not this year.

-Dayton has a loss to a D2 that is 4-5 this year. Their only wins against teams that award any scholarships are still non fully funded and have poor records. (Robert Morris (2-6) and Duquense (2-7))

-Butler is 8-0, but their 3 non conference games were all against Division III teams, no thats not a typo. Not Division II, Division III teams.

-And while I love Drake and would love to see them in the playoffs, their 7-1 record includes a D3 win and a D2 win and a 30 point loss to (3-5) South Dakota.

I think the Pio League should get an auto, but they do not deserve an at large this year. They just dont. Case closed.

darell1976
November 4th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Go Jacks!!!! Bring a national title home to the Dakota's.