PDA

View Full Version : Four NFLers from the Patriot League this year?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 2nd, 2009, 12:01 AM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2009/11/sundays-word-stars.html

Obejctively going through the Patriot League this year, there could easily be four Patriot Leaguers that see NFL camps this year. Already Colgate coach Dick Biddle said this past weekend that he thought WR Pat Simonds could be drafted, and Skelton and Randolph have been of draft boards since May. I think NFL teams have to be looking at DT Andrew Poulson, too, at 6'6 275.

Could this senior class be the best ever for the Patriot League?

CFBfan
November 2nd, 2009, 07:08 AM
which PL team has sent the most players to the NFL?

Bogus Megapardus
November 2nd, 2009, 07:21 AM
which PL team has sent the most players to the NFL?

An educated guess would be Fordham - but just a guess. This data must be somewhere.

EDIT: The answer is Holy Cross, with about 75. Fordham and Colgate have about 70 each, followed by Georgetown, Bucknell, and Lafayette (in that order). Last, and certainly Least, is Lehigh which has sent only 28 players to the NFL.

The data are here: http://www.databasefootball.com/players/playerbycollege.htm

RichH2
November 2nd, 2009, 07:44 AM
Since the start of NFL ,I would go with Fordham or Holy Cross. Since1986, I would guess Cross but I think every school has some.

Bogus Megapardus
November 2nd, 2009, 08:08 AM
To answer the rhetorical question, "why do those annoying PL schools bother playing football anyhow?" (I know that some of you are asking) it seem that even lowly, insignificant and talent-bereft Lehigh has had more NFL players than most CAA schools (except Villanova, of course, which ought to be in the PL anyhow).

Pard94
November 2nd, 2009, 08:10 AM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2009/11/sundays-word-stars.html

Obejctively going through the Patriot League this year, there could easily be four Patriot Leaguers that see NFL camps this year. Already Colgate coach Dick Biddle said this past weekend that he thought WR Pat Simonds could be drafted, and Skelton and Randolph have been of draft boards since May. I think NFL teams have to be looking at DT Andrew Poulson, too, at 6'6 275.

Could this senior class be the best ever for the Patriot League?

Wait a minute...I thought the league sucked this year? I'm confused. Could someone please provide me with a slew of statistics as to why the glut of pro prospects are not an indicator of the strength of the league overall. That would ease my confusion greatly. Thanks.

DFW HOYA
November 2nd, 2009, 08:11 AM
Since the start of NFL ,I would go with Fordham or Holy Cross. Since1986, I would guess Cross but I think every school has some.

Georgetown has 51, but only one since 1956 (Alex Buzbee, Washington Redskins 2007-08)

Bogus Megapardus
November 2nd, 2009, 08:16 AM
Georgetown has 51, but only one since 1956 (Alex Buzbee, Washington Redskins 2007-08)

See the Edit at post #3 which has a link to the data.

Pard4Life
November 2nd, 2009, 09:30 AM
Wait a minute...I thought the league sucked this year? I'm confused. Could someone please provide me with a slew of statistics as to why the glut of pro prospects are not an indicator of the strength of the league overall. That would ease my confusion greatly. Thanks.

Hmm, you beat me to it.

I like to cite the same NFL fact when others dump on the Ivy for being inferior. I can believe Simonds from Gate being a pick; i saw a picture of him about 6 feet off the ground! His feet were level with a defender's shoulders.

Pard94
November 2nd, 2009, 10:01 AM
Hmm, you beat me to it.

I like to cite the same NFL fact when others dump on the Ivy for being inferior. I can believe Simonds from Gate being a pick; i saw a picture of him about 6 feet off the ground! His feet were level with a defender's shoulders.

I figured it out. Clearly the NFL is down as well this year too.

FUrams7
November 2nd, 2009, 10:16 AM
Skelton should be drafted..
these 4 Fordham seniors guys may get a camp invite as well.

Tyschontsky (sp.) 6'4 304 OL benched 225 lbs. 38 times, and runs 4.9 40
Crockett 6'2 225 LB 3yr starter possible LB/ special teams NFL 4.6 40 dash
Jason Caldwell 5'11 180 49rcpts. , 803yds 8 TDs 100.4 rec. yds per game 4.5- 40 dash
Darzell Wright 6'2 312 NG big, strong..

RichH2
November 2nd, 2009, 10:19 AM
Gee, it would unfog your myopia if you read LFN's blog and all his comments as to PL strength this year. Enuf mea culpas for my own tunnel vision. Lets see who wins out the season.

Pard94
November 2nd, 2009, 10:31 AM
Gee, it would unfog your myopia if you read LFN's blog and all his comments as to PL strength this year. Enuf mea culpas for my own tunnel vision. Lets see who wins out the season.

Let's see indeed. And I'll read LFN's blog when I have even the slightest reason to believe he is capable of consitantly choking out a few non-biased words about Lafayette. Until such time why would I waste time reading a Lehigh fan site?

RichH2
November 2nd, 2009, 10:33 AM
Guess ignorance is the best tack for some Pardsxrolleyesx

colorless raider
November 2nd, 2009, 10:35 AM
Ah pard94, always open minded.

Pard94
November 2nd, 2009, 10:51 AM
I happen to think that Holy Cross, Lafayette and Colgate (in that order) are the best teams in the league and I think Georgetown, Bucknell and Lehigh are the worst. I also firmly believe the chances of any of the latter three teams running the table and winning the league are infinitesimal. I guess that makes me close minded, ignorant and myopic.

If I thought for a second having a thorough understanding of LFN's position on why Lehigh football isn't as bad as it seems or why we shouldn't read too much into the success Lafayette is enjoying I'd be a weekly reader. As it stands I don't feel I need to know any of that...but then again we've established I am close minded, ignorant and myopic. xrolleyesx

Lehigh Football Nation
November 2nd, 2009, 10:52 AM

Tyschontsky (sp.) 6'4 304 OL benched 225 lbs. 38 times, and runs 4.9 40
Crockett 6'2 225 LB 3yr starter possible LB/ special teams NFL 4.6 40 dash
Jason Caldwell 5'11 180 49rcpts. , 803yds 8 TDs 100.4 rec. yds per game 4.5- 40 dash
Darzell Wright 6'2 312 NG big, strong..

I've always liked Crockett, his quickness and his nose for the ball. I see him in an NFL camp with an outside shot to make a team. Wright I met at PL Media day and he was a great interview, but I didn't think about him in an NFL camp... maybe.

Crockett and Lehigh LB Matt Cohen are of the same mold - fast, smaller players that might find their way into camps.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 2nd, 2009, 10:53 AM
If I thought for a second having a thorough understanding of LFN's position on why Lehigh football isn't as bad as it seems...

Proof positive you're not a reader of the blog recently. xpeacex

RichH2
November 2nd, 2009, 11:10 AM
94'
Why not read LFN's recent column's and you'll actually see what we are talking about ( how good Gate ,Pards and HC are, not how bad LU is), if you need some help with the big words let me know and I'll translate for you xrolleyesx. Ignorance only makes one look foolish not blissfulxbangx

Lehigh Football Nation
November 2nd, 2009, 11:19 AM
94'
Why not read LFN's recent column's and you'll actually see what we are talking about ( how good Gate ,Pards and HC are, not how bad LU is), if you need some help with the big words let me know and I'll translate for you xrolleyesx. Ignorance only makes one look foolish not blissfulxbangx

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to RichH2 again. xlolx

Pard94
November 2nd, 2009, 11:24 AM
94'

I'd rather just add foolish to the list of my descriptives. I used to read it LFN pretty regularly. Then I realized it was having a negative effect on my blood pressure.

RichH2
November 2nd, 2009, 12:00 PM
There you go, a real shame it must have been all the big words xbawlingx.

Did not realize that you were intellectually "challenged". From now on I promise to use simpler language.

In fact, I should just follow Carney's advice and ignore any of your posts dealing with LU-LC. That will help your blood pressure alsoxthumbsupx

Pard94
November 2nd, 2009, 12:24 PM
There you go, a real shame it must have been all the big words xbawlingx.

Did not realize that you were intellectually "challenged". From now on I promise to use simpler language.

In fact, I should just follow Carney's advice and ignore any of your posts dealing with LU-LC. That will help your blood pressure alsoxthumbsupx

I'm sorry...what the hell is it you are talking about again? "There you go"...there what goes? What's a real shame? That I'd rather have the likes of you consider me a myopic fool than read LFN's scary insightful blog? Simpler language may indeed be in order if for no other reason than to help you get from point A to point B. Better still...just ignore me as you suggest. Everybody wins. xthumbsupxxthumbsupx

DFW HOYA
November 2nd, 2009, 12:34 PM

I don't see any draft picks from the PL this year. Three or four free agents, maybe. Drafting a PL player is too much a leap of faith for NFL draft rooms; unfortunately, people think of it a step below the Ivy and alongside the NEC.

RichH2
November 2nd, 2009, 01:01 PM
I think Simonds athletic enough to be drafted. Skelton has gotten a lot of press would not be surprised if he is taken on a lower round. While Randolph better on this level than Skelton he may not translate as well to NFL for draft. No doubt he will be signed.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 2nd, 2009, 01:07 PM
The one who is a real X-Factor is Lafayette's Andrew Poulson, who has NFL size and has had a pretty good year, too. He won't be drafted I don't think, but I would not be surprised at all to see him in an NFL camp.

And I can't say enough about Idah's play on Saturday. I think he should have been PL POW.

Pard94
November 2nd, 2009, 01:12 PM
The one who is a real X-Factor is Lafayette's Andrew Poulson, who has NFL size and has had a pretty good year, too. He won't be drafted I don't think, but I would not be surprised at all to see him in an NFL camp.

And I can't say enough about Idah's play on Saturday. I think he should have been PL POW.

Who was the PL POW anyway?

RichH2
November 2nd, 2009, 02:22 PM
Curley was OPOW

Thomas HOLYCROSS DPOW

Pards Rule
November 2nd, 2009, 02:56 PM

I think the Eagles might need a backup to Stewart Bradley?

colorless raider
November 2nd, 2009, 03:21 PM

I saw the game live and just watched the tape and I certainly agree. Idah is the man.

Fordham
November 3rd, 2009, 04:39 PM
Sporting News: Fordham's Skelton a Raw but Spectacular QB Prospect (http://today.sportingnews.com/sportingnewstoday/20091103?pg=14#pg14)

Bogus Megapardus
November 3rd, 2009, 04:55 PM
Sporting News: Fordham's Skelton a Raw but Spectacular QB Prospect (http://today.sportingnews.com/sportingnewstoday/20091103?pg=14#pg14)

Great for Skelton! I just hope he doesn't end up in Oakland or some other disastrous team that cannot develop his talent.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 3rd, 2009, 04:55 PM
"Rare physical tools" - that's a pretty strong endorsement, IMO. Odd that not there wasn't a single mention of Randolph. Randolph isn't as physically imposing as Skelton but obviously is a really accurate passer, so he has tools.

RichH2
November 3rd, 2009, 05:34 PM
NFL loves QBs that can throw the ball through a wall and are as big as DEs. ALA Skelton.Randolph for NFL has an average arm and size but great accuracy.

aust42
November 3rd, 2009, 05:41 PM
An educated guess would be Fordham - but just a guess. This data must be somewhere.

EDIT: The answer is Holy Cross, with about 75. Fordham and Colgate have about 70 each, followed by Georgetown, Bucknell, and Lafayette (in that order). Last, and certainly Least, is Lehigh which has sent only 28 players to the NFL.

The data are here: http://www.databasefootball.com/players/playerbycollege.htm

Good link but it is flawed in the fact that it includes players who never played in the NFL. Delaware has a few players listed who were picked up as free agents that never made the team.

RichH2
November 3rd, 2009, 05:57 PM
GREAT site but does miss a few. Healy DE NYJ ,Phil Stambaugh NOS, Semptimphelter Dallas Cowboys all on rosters for cup of coffee but there. Greg WolfsonDB LA Rams on roster but injured before season. I know there are some more over the years. Marty Horn qb also with NYJ but dont think he made season.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 3rd, 2009, 08:40 PM
Like I thought.. all the mod's here have hidden agenda's and make up infractions against members whom they don't like. You're all a bunch of f u c king cowards. All you're doing is causing everyone to go over to CHAMPIONSHIPSUBDIVISION.COM and never come back to this pathetic site. It is truly amazing that so many immature cowards subjectively moderate this place without any accountability or repercussions for their actions. Go **** yourselves **** stains!!!