PDA

View Full Version : AE stands alone with this record

appirishmen
November 1st, 2009, 07:18 PM
Sorry if anyone has posted this already. AE is now the the only QB in all D1, FBS and FCS to have 9,000 yards passing and 4,000 yards running.

http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20091101/COLUMNISTS01/911010360/1007/COLUMNISTS

Grabholdofyosef
November 1st, 2009, 07:47 PM
I am hoping for 10k and 5k. That would most likely mean ASU plays another 7 games which would mean the finals. That would get him close to McNair's record but he would be about 1,000 yards shy I think.

Squealofthepig
November 1st, 2009, 08:09 PM
One heckuva accomplishment. Hats off to AE, especially given the lawnmower incident just before the season!

whoanellie
November 1st, 2009, 08:10 PM
a very worthy career and deserving of any accolades,

BEAR
November 1st, 2009, 08:55 PM
9,000 and 4,000? .........most posts (9,000) and threads (4,000) about him on AGS all-time? xnodx xwhistlexxlolx

But then again starting your career in the late 70s will do that for you. xlolx

Hey, there were at least 3 this week! xrulesxxcoffeexxlolx

proasu89
November 1st, 2009, 09:10 PM
9,000 and 4,000? .........most posts (9,000) and threads (4,000) about him on AGS all-time? xnodx xwhistlexxlolx

Only 2, the one from 06 shouldn't count twicexlolx

PhoenixPhan06
November 1st, 2009, 09:31 PM
xbowxxbowx

BDKJMU
November 2nd, 2009, 12:21 AM
Sorry if anyone has posted this already. AE is now the the only QB in all D1, FBS and FCS to have 9,000 yards passing and 4,000 yards running.

http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20091101/COLUMNISTS01/911010360/1007/COLUMNISTS

Did anyone else (if so how many) had that many if you included bowl games and playoffs as haven't they only been counting post season games towards stats records for less than a decade?

asknoquarter21
November 2nd, 2009, 06:40 AM
Brad Smith is the only one close in the FBS

McNair will never have his record broken mainly because he was NEVER taken out. McNair was a great player but I think Armanti is in the same comversation at this point and he isn't done yet.

AppAlum2003
November 2nd, 2009, 07:28 AM

Yeah... why would we want to talk about one the greatest players in FCS history? That just wouldn't make sense. xnonox

BlackNGold
November 2nd, 2009, 08:36 AM
yes, he could get 10k and 5k, but let's be honest. he's not going to be able to do this stuff against higher competition. i except something like 30 yards rushing, 125 passing with a touchdown and a couple of picks against elon if i had to guess

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEbMbAuAgmU

jus10asu
November 2nd, 2009, 08:48 AM
yes, he could get 10k and 5k, but let's be honest. he's not going to be able to do this stuff against higher competition. i except something like 30 yards rushing, 125 passing with a touchdown and a couple of picks against elon if i had to guess

xeekx I'm really beginning to question your knowledge of football. Armanti had 51 yards rushing in the first 9 mins and 47 seconds of the Furman game and 148 yards passing in the first 19 mins. Come on he had 461 yards in three quarters on Saturday. App is gonna lay the wood to Elon.

Appattk
November 2nd, 2009, 09:01 AM
elon's defense is the best in the country

Against Whom?

Davidson? 2-6 (wins over Cambell & Morehead St??)
Presbyterian? 0-8 (NO WINS!)
Wake Forest? You lost 35 - 7 with your "star" QB & WR
Georgia Southern 4-4 (wins over Albany, WCU, Wofford & Chattanooga) Only won by 14 ponts.
Furman 4-4 (wins over Presbyterian, WCU, Chattanooga, & Samford) Only won by 7...
Citadel 4-4 (wins over Princeton, Presbyterian, Furman, & Samford)
Chattanooga 5-3 (wins over Glenville State, Presbyterian, Wofford, Samford, & WCU)

Chattanooga ends up being the ONLY team you've played with a winning record.. and that's only because they've played a few "winnable" teams.

Elon might be good... But just like last year they will once again be pressured by GOOD teams down the stretch and be exposed by better teams....

You might have the #1 defensive now... but it's because you're playing sandlot football with sandlot teams instead of stepping up and playing the big boys..

biggie
November 2nd, 2009, 09:17 AM
Wow at the single random d-bag eloan fans lately.

ur2k
November 2nd, 2009, 09:23 AM
b/c apparently we are furman. WE HAVE THE BEST DEFENSE IN ALL OF FCS FOOTBALL

Elon defense is not better than Richmond's

jus10asu
November 2nd, 2009, 09:23 AM
Looks like Dayton is the Best....FAIL

http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/football/fcs/stats/team-total-defense

appirishmen
November 2nd, 2009, 09:24 AM
elon's defense is the best in the country

well App has the best offense in the FCS. our o beats your d. xnodxxnodx

jus10asu
November 2nd, 2009, 09:25 AM
And it is a FACT that ASU is #1 what? #1 in total offense.

appirishmen
November 2nd, 2009, 09:25 AM

as much as i hate to. i would have to agree....... elons d stats just dont impress me because of the davidson and presby games.

jus10asu
November 2nd, 2009, 09:30 AM
as much as i hate to. i would have to agree....... elons d stats just dont impress me because of the davidson and presby games.

I second that...I'll say it again for the eleventieth time. Elon is OVERRATED!!! They played Davidson and Presby...and we just KILLED two teams that you beat by a combined total of 21 points. We beat those same teams by a combined total of 61 pointsxsmiley_wixxwhistlex

Saint3333
November 2nd, 2009, 09:51 AM

If I had to guess you're a Western Alamance middle school student. Please find one game in the last 3 1/2 years that AE has produced such numbers? Get a clue.

elon77
November 2nd, 2009, 10:13 AM
I second that...I'll say it again for the eleventieth time. Elon is OVERRATED!!! They played Davidson and Presby...and we just KILLED two teams that you beat by a combined total of 21 points. We beat those same teams by a combined total of 61 pointsxsmiley_wixxwhistlex

But, you can't go by points because we beat a team badly that you had to go to overtime to defeat. All teams, for some reason, have weeks that they just play better than they play on other weeks. So the statement that we beat so and so by 50 points and you only beat them by 6 just doesn't prove much, at least I don't think it does. I do know that all the people in Black on November 14 will expect their team to win, and the people in Maroon will expect their team to win. I hope it ends up being a great game and that both teams go on to the playoffs and kick some major butt in several rounds. The Lord willing I will be there and I am counting the days down to kickoff. Both teams have a little business to take care of this weekend first and then the fun can begin.xnodx

AppStsGr8
November 2nd, 2009, 10:24 AM
I'm impressed with several things:
- Edwards doesn't play 100% of every game if Appalachian has the game in hand.
- Edwards is constantly speaking of team, team, team and knows that his success depends on more than just himself.
- While Edwards' stats have benefitted from post-season play, he has also missed several games due to injury.
- Edwards earned his starting job as a true freshman and has not had a redshirt year.
- If the clearer path to a touchdown is a handoff / lateral to another player on the team, Edwards will opt for the touchdown for the team.
- Edwards will graduate in December - three and a half years after enrolling at Appalachian.
- The 9000 passing / 4000 rushing mark demostrates Edwards' abilities as an all around quarterback.
- Edwards has passed to a different crop of receivers each year without having a "favorite". His passes generally go to whichever receiver is open at that moment.

It has been a pleasure and a privilege to watch Armanti Edwards play for Appalachian. He is a fine young man from everything I can see and is a credit to the University. Thanks, AE! Here's to a great rest of the season!

CrackerRiley
November 2nd, 2009, 10:25 AM
Once again.... xpopcornx

Good thing I really like popcorn.

Everyone, let's just hold our horses here. At least wait one more week. xnonono2x

SoCon48
November 2nd, 2009, 11:08 AM

You mean like Michigan as a freshman?xrolleyesx Not to mention the numbers he put up vs several CAA teams on the way to the National Championship.
He had more than that vs Elon before being cheap shotted to be injured the rest of the season.

SoCon48
November 2nd, 2009, 11:12 AM
But, you can't go by points because we beat a team badly that you had to go to overtime to defeat. All teams, for some reason, have weeks that they just play better than they play on other weeks. So the statement that we beat so and so by 50 points and you only beat them by 6 just doesn't prove much, at least I don't think it does. I do know that all the people in Black on November 14 will expect their team to win, and the people in Maroon will expect their team to win. I hope it ends up being a great game and that both teams go on to the playoffs and kick some major butt in several rounds. The Lord willing I will be there and I am counting the days down to kickoff. Both teams have a little business to take care of this weekend first and then the fun can begin.xnodx

Our defense has proven its weaknesses by the points allowed and our total offense's strength by points scored.
Elon may win, but AE will put up numbers unless he is suddenly injured again.

ashram
November 2nd, 2009, 11:58 AM
Is it just me, or does an Elon fan seem to hijack nearly every thread related to the SoCon and turn it into an Elon vs. App. State thread?

AshevilleApp
November 2nd, 2009, 12:07 PM

I just wanted to quote this here so that when it comes up as to who changed the direction of this thread......

I don't recall Elon even being in the thread title

Skjellyfetti
November 2nd, 2009, 12:16 PM
http://jenden.us/storage/JD/img/must_not_feed_the_troll.jpg

GGASU
November 2nd, 2009, 02:43 PM
Did anyone else (if so how many) had that many if you included bowl games and playoffs as haven't they only been counting post season games towards stats records for less than a decade?

That is a good point.

Armanti has his stats in 44 starts at quarterback. Before stats started counting for bowl and playoff games, that would mean a freshman quarterback starting each game of a 4 year college career.

He needs 450 yards rushing to have his second 2000 yards passing and 1000 yards rushing season. It would be nice to see him do it in the regular season, so we don't see the post season stat excuse.

He could have very easily have had the 2000/1000 yard milestone every year. He was 50 yards passing short his sophomore year and 60 yards short rushing last year. Just one extra drive per year, and he would have been in the heisman hunt.

biggie
November 2nd, 2009, 03:42 PM
That is a good point.

Armanti has his stats in 44 starts at quarterback. Before stats started counting for bowl and playoff games, that would mean a freshman quarterback starting each game of a 4 year college career.

He needs 450 yards rushing to have his second 2000 yards passing and 1000 yards rushing season. It would be nice to see him do it in the regular season, so we don't see the post season stat excuse.

He could have very easily have had the 2000/1000 yard milestone every year. He was 50 yards passing short his sophomore year and 60 yards short rushing last year. Just one extra drive per year, and he would have been in the heisman hunt.
Looks like he could/should have over 3k yds passing this year and looks like he needs 550 rushing (only see 450 on socon stats page). Doubt he'll get the 1k rushing this year, the defenses are giving him the pass more often.

AppAlum2003
November 2nd, 2009, 04:11 PM
Looks like he could/should have over 3k yds passing this year and looks like he needs 550 rushing (only see 450 on socon stats page). Doubt he'll get the 1k rushing this year, the defenses are giving him the pass more often.

I also think he's running less in order to save his body for a (hopefully) long playoff run. Don't forget - he RAN HIS FOOT OVER WITH A LAWNMOWER a few months ago.

He's also developed into a heck of a passer. A few years ago, he would scramble out of the pocket, tuck the ball and run. Now, if you watch him, he scrambles out of the pocket and keeps his eyes down field. I hear that phrase over and over again every Sunday about GOOD NFL Quarterbacks.

james_lawfirm
November 2nd, 2009, 04:16 PM

True, that.

Skjellyfetti
November 3rd, 2009, 09:08 PM
Armanti Edwards For The Heisman Watch

Armanti Edwards should be a Heisman candidate. He's got the Wow factor covered passing for over 1000 yards in just the last 3 games, 170+ QB rating and running the second ( ranked behind only Houston, but leads the FCS) most productive offense in the USA and I think he leads the country in completion percentage as well.

If Appalachian State's defense will continue to improve, Edwards may well win a third National title, because the only way to stop this offense is to keep them off the field.

check this out ESPN's #2 play of the week http://www.vimeo.com/6772819

(courtesy Appalachian Sports Information) - A pair of national news services and the Southern Conference honored Appalachian State University quarterback Armanti Edwards (Greenwood, S.C./Greenwood) on Monday for his 461-yard, six-touchdown performance in Saturday’s 52-27 win at Furman. The Sports Network and College Sporting News tabbed Edwards as the National Offensive Player of the Week while the SoCon recognized the senior as the conference’s Offensive Player of the Week.

Edwards passed for 355 yards and rushed for 106 more in just three quarters of action to lead Appalachian to its sixth-straight win. In the process, he became the first player in NCAA Division I history (FCS or FBS) to amass 9,000 passing yards and 4,000 rushing yards in a career. He achieved the historic feat when he broke the 9,000-yard passing barrier with a 14-yard completion to CoCo Hillary (Edgefield, S.C./Strom Thurmond) midway through the second quarter.

Despite watching the final period from the sideline, Edwards completed 25-of-36 passes, including touchdowns of 16 and 21 yards, and matched a career high with four scoring runs that covered three, four, one and five yards. With 9,184 passing yards and 4,132 rushing yards in his career, Edwards vaulted to fourth in NCAA Division I FCS history with 13,616 yards of total
offense. His 461-yard performance against Furman ranks fourth in school history.

Edwards was also named National and SoCon Player of the Week following his 415-yard passing effort versus Wofford on Oct. 17. In all, Edwards has earned national weekly honors six times and SoCon weekly recognition 13 times in his illustrious career.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/283658-armanti-edwards-for-the-heisman-watch

xnodx