PDA

View Full Version : #4 Villanova at #1 Richmond discussion/prediction thread

Pages : [1] 2

seattlespider
November 1st, 2009, 04:17 PM
Certainly the game of the week in the CAA and possibly in all of FCS. Major seeding/AQ implications in this one. 'Nova probably needs to win out to get a seed. A UR win probably locks up a seed (assuming a win against G-Town) for them. UR has probably locked up a playoff spot (I suppose a three game losing streak would make them sweat), while 'Nova is right on the cusp of a bid. Should be a great game. Nova has given UR fits recently, but I will go homer and pick the home team. UR 24 Nova 20.

WestCoastAggie
November 1st, 2009, 04:22 PM
Richmond at home will win this close match-up.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 1st, 2009, 04:49 PM
Certainly the game of the week in the CAA and possibly in all of FCS. Major seeding/AQ implications in this one. 'Nova probably needs to win out to get a seed. A UR win probably locks up a seed (assuming a win against G-Town) for them. UR has probably locked up a playoff spot (I suppose a three game losing streak would make them sweat), while 'Nova is right on the cusp of a bid. Should be a great game. Nova has given UR fits recently, but I will go homer and pick the home team. UR 24 Nova 20.

Don't understand the whole 'giving us fits' thing. We have split the last 4 games against them.

Hoyadestroya85
November 1st, 2009, 04:50 PM
Don't understand the whole 'giving us fits' thing. We have split the last 4 games against them.

we came close with an inferior team at your place in 07.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 1st, 2009, 04:52 PM
we came close with an inferior team at your place in 07.

Is 'coming close' synonymous with 'giving fits'?

WrenFGun
November 1st, 2009, 04:55 PM
I like Richmond to win this one, but I'll be pulling for 'Nova. #1 Team at home? How is this poll even (and that's with my recent vote for Richmond).

UNH Fanboi
November 1st, 2009, 05:04 PM
I like Richmond to win this one, but I'll be pulling for 'Nova. #1 Team at home? How is this poll even (and that's with my recent vote for Richmond).

I voted for Nova cause Richmond has been playing some lesser teams pretty close. I think this game is pretty close to 50-50 though.

SpeedkingATL
November 1st, 2009, 05:17 PM
I didn't vote because I haven't seen Villanova but for part of one game, but this should be a great one!

Home field has to be an advantage for the Spidies.

bostonspider
November 1st, 2009, 05:22 PM
From watching a bunch of UR's games this year, they seem to have the ability to turn it on when needed. I think they will take this game at home by a 31-24 margin.

Ivytalk
November 1st, 2009, 06:07 PM
Richmond at home will win this close match-up.

Agreed! A 3-point game.

soccerguy315
November 1st, 2009, 08:17 PM
this game is obviously huge... Richmond has struggled at points this year, but they find a way to win, which is what counts. If Villanova wins, UR will drop into the mix of 1 loss teams in the CAA.

I guess I will choose Richmond, since they are at home... but I wouldn't be surprised to see Nova win.

South Carolina Duke
November 1st, 2009, 09:07 PM
It's a Win/Win for Villanova on this. If they win the game huge intangibles as far as playoffs and seeding.

If they lose it's still a win not having to EVER play in that dump of a stadium ever again.

Go Talley and the boys!

tribe_pride
November 1st, 2009, 09:09 PM
It's a Win/Win for Villanova on this. If they win the game huge intangibles as far as playoffs and seeding.

If they lose it's still a win not having to EVER play in that dump of a stadium ever again.

Go Talley and the boys!

Unless they face off in the playoffs before the finals.

seattlespider
November 1st, 2009, 09:13 PM

Go Talley and the boys!

Hey! It may be a dump, but it's...our...ah screw it.

LacesOut
November 1st, 2009, 10:28 PM
Lets go 'Nova!!!!

Big Dawg
November 2nd, 2009, 12:17 AM
Will this game be televised???

seattlespider
November 2nd, 2009, 12:26 AM
Will this game be televised???

Apparently Comcast is carrying it. Tho I wish ESPNU or VS would pick it up.

JMU Newbill
November 2nd, 2009, 06:01 AM
Villanova 13-10

Tribe4SF
November 2nd, 2009, 07:28 AM
Bye weeks are overrated in terms of being an advantage. I'm always nervous about my team being sharp after a bye, and especially when going on the road. Villanova was flat when it went to UNH, but played well at JMU. Making only their third trip outside Philly, I think they drop a close one to the Spiders.

ur2k
November 2nd, 2009, 08:20 AM
This should be a good one - possibly the FCS game of the year to date.

I'm not going to make a prediction, but UR better come ready to put a full four quarters together in order to win this game. We've had to many quarters and halves that we've been sleep walking through.

Nova gave us trouble with blitzes coming from all directions last year, hopefully an additional year for our O-Line. QB and receivers will prevent this from happening again.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 2nd, 2009, 08:47 AM
Nova gave us trouble with blitzes coming from all directions last year, hopefully an additional year for our O-Line. QB and receivers will prevent this from happening again.

Credit Nova for the pressure, but I think Tim Silver's lack of mobility was a critical factor in that game.

ElonPride
November 2nd, 2009, 08:49 AM
i think elon jumps the loser in the polls so i dont really care who wins

Where did you come from buddy? Geez, show a little repsect.......

Eight Legger
November 2nd, 2009, 09:49 AM
UR and Villanova are both ranked ahead of Elon. How is a loss going to drop one below Elon?

Aho_Old_Guy
November 2nd, 2009, 10:49 AM
UR and Villanova are both ranked ahead of Elon. How is a loss going to drop one below Elon?

Our newest little buddy neglected to read the TOS:

Forbidden activity on the FCS Discussion board:
+ Smack

I proclaim the ballgame to be a toss-up, but what do I know? I think AE should win the Heisman xlolx

19Duke97
November 2nd, 2009, 10:51 AM
Having seen both, I think VU is slightly better - and has a little more to play for atm.

Dukie95
November 2nd, 2009, 10:56 AM
I feel like Nova has the better, more balanced team. However, Richmond has the best player on the field in Ward who can carry the team on his own if he has to.

Still don't know who to predict...

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 2nd, 2009, 12:11 PM
UR is playing for the #1 seed this week as they should run the table with their remaining schedule. I would love to go to this game but I will be at the JMU game.

I like Nova in this one...close....but I see Nova pulling this one out.

Eight Legger
November 2nd, 2009, 12:18 PM
I love our offense and think we can go toe to toe with anyone, but I will also say that in big games, turnovers have been really key to our run the past two years. If Villanova doesn't turn the ball over, this is a 4-point game and will most likely come down to the last possession.

If we can create 2 or more turnovers, we'll win by 10 or 15. I realize this could probably be said about many teams, but it seems particularly apt for us. When we get a turnover and convert it into a TD, we tend to steamroll teams.

jlcharles
November 2nd, 2009, 12:23 PM
I love our offense and think we can go toe to toe with anyone, but I will also say that in big games, turnovers have been really key to our run the past two years. If Villanova doesn't turn the ball over, this is a 4-point game and will most likely come down to the last possession.

If we can create 2 or more turnovers, we'll win by 10 or 15. I realize this could probably be said about many teams, but it seems particularly apt for us. When we get a turnover and convert it into a TD, we tend to steamroll teams.

On the same note, we're a plus 8 in turnovers and the defense has done a good job of taking the ball away this year.

I think that even if we do turn the ball over, the defense will make up for it.

I like Nova in a close one that comes down to the last possession.

AppAlum2003
November 2nd, 2009, 01:05 PM
Go... um... whatever Villanova's mascot is!!! Squish the spiders!

soccerguy315
November 2nd, 2009, 01:42 PM

just one of the 20 or so "wildcats" in the ncaa... lol

Skjellyfetti
November 2nd, 2009, 01:47 PM

I'm pulling for Richmond. Better chance for App/Elon winner gets a seed if they win out. xnodx

Hoyadestroya85
November 2nd, 2009, 04:03 PM
I feel like Nova has the better, more balanced team. However, Richmond has the best player on the field in Ward who can carry the team on his own if he has to.

Still don't know who to predict...

Two Words: Matt Szczur. As far as I know, he's the only player in the CAA with a rushing, receiving, passing and return touchdown this year. He's probably been the best kick returner in the CAA and is leading Villanova in Touchdowns.

I also think that if Villanova wins this game, they deserve a #1 ranking because they will be the only team in the country with two legit quality wins and an FBS win (one that is looking better and better as the weeks go on.)

WrenFGun
November 2nd, 2009, 04:05 PM
Two Words: Matt Szczur. As far as I know, he's the only player in the CAA with a rushing, receiving, passing and return touchdown this year. He's probably been the best kick returner in the CAA and is leading Villanova in Touchdowns.

I also think that if Villanova wins this game, they deserve a #1 ranking because they will be the only team in the country with two legit quality wins and an FBS win (one that is looking better and better as the weeks go on.)

By that same argument I hope you'll be voting UNH #1 if they beat W&M.

...I thought the best player in the CAA was Pat Devlin? xwhistlex

AppAlum2003
November 2nd, 2009, 04:08 PM
I'm pulling for Richmond. Better chance for App/Elon winner gets a seed if they win out. xnodx

Yeah - good point. I've just never liked spiders, Richmond or other.

SpidersSportsEditor
November 2nd, 2009, 06:28 PM
Villanova 13-10

I don't know who's going to win this game, but would be SHOCKED if it is this low scoring. Richmond has put up 31 points or more during its last 15 home games. That streak may end this weekend, but I think the only way we're held to 10 is a monsoon.

Can't wait for this game. I always feel like Richmond has got to lose sometime, but then I look at the matchup and if the Spiders play well, they should win this one at home. Since this is a discussion/prediction thread I guess I'll make a prediction.

Richmond 34 Villanova 27, maybe in OT.

fltheadgriz
November 2nd, 2009, 06:33 PM
No way!!!!!!!!!!!
This is going to go into 5 overtimes and the water boy for Nova is going to come in and kick a 52 yard field goal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AppAlum2003
November 2nd, 2009, 06:37 PM
The hate you show in this post is ridiculous. First off, most teams don't have waterboys, they have machines that the players use to spray the water into them and there are student trainers taht give them water bottles. I am sick at all those people that don't give any credit to the staff around the football players, who are just as much a part of the team as any of the players.

Now, I could be reading your post wrong... but are you saying that the student trainers are as much responsible for wins/losses as the players? No smack... I really want to know if that's what you just said.

fltheadgriz
November 2nd, 2009, 06:38 PM
Lighten up a little bit.
I was trying to bring some levity in here.
Don't get so flipping uptight about the games.
I think it is actually going to be extremely hard fought and a low scoring game the first half and then there will be some bad fumbles that will break the game open.
What hate was I showing in this post?
Please show me the hate that I have shown in this post or my other 13 posts and then I will accept your explanation!

Hoyadestroya85
November 2nd, 2009, 06:39 PM
I don't know who's going to win this game, but would be SHOCKED if it is this low scoring. Richmond has put up 31 points or more during its last 15 home games. That streak may end this weekend, but I think the only way we're held to 10 is a monsoon.

Can't wait for this game. I always feel like Richmond has got to lose sometime, but then I look at the matchup and if the Spiders play well, they should win this one at home. Since this is a discussion/prediction thread I guess I'll make a prediction.

Richmond 34 Villanova 27, maybe in OT.

I don't see it being that high scoring.. Villanova hasn't given up more than 28 points all year and last year's game was 16-10 if i remember correctly. I think it's gonna be something like 21-17 but i don't know which way to go.

AppAlum2003
November 2nd, 2009, 06:44 PM
maybe not "just as responsible" but they definitely do play a role

We agree on something here. xnodx

SpidersSportsEditor
November 2nd, 2009, 06:45 PM
I don't see it being that high scoring.. Villanova hasn't given up more than 28 points all year and last year's game was 16-10 if i remember correctly. I think it's gonna be something like 21-17 but i don't know which way to go.

Last year's game was 26-20. And Richmond missed some opportunities in that game. I remember it being the one time all season I questioned some of London's decision making.

It may not be 34-27, but I think both teams will find the end zone fairly frequently and there's probably gonna be a special teams/defensive touchdown in there somewhere. I just hope it's not on another bad Richmond snap on a punt, that could be our fatal flaw.

fltheadgriz
November 2nd, 2009, 06:47 PM
Again I would like Elonmarksthespot to show me where the hate was in my post?

seattlespider
November 2nd, 2009, 06:57 PM
The hate you show in this post is ridiculous. First off, most teams don't have waterboys, they have machines that the players use to spray the water into them and there are student trainers taht give them water bottles. I am sick at all those people that don't give any credit to the staff around the football players, who are just as much a part of the team as any of the players.

http://20.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kq77ckUGGi1qzdhz1o1_500.jpg

Hoyadestroya85
November 2nd, 2009, 06:59 PM
I think this game is the best matchup of any the big games for Villanova because we tend to stop traditional/pro style offenses very well (see: Temple.) The best way to beat Villanova is to spread them out three and four wide and feed the ball over the middle (preferably to a tight end) and try to pick them apart through the air which Richmond is not built to do as well as other teams. On offense Villanova has a quarterback who requires constant attention by at least one defensive player and I'd venture to say that he's an above average thrower as well (see: Temple game.) If Villanova can get one of it's stable of runners (Whitney, Ball, Babbaro, Szczur or Doss) to get going I could see a dominating performance by Villanova similar to last year's game (the final score didn't illustrate the butt whooping that Villanova laid on the Spiders.)

fltheadgriz
November 2nd, 2009, 07:02 PM
Oh I see.
Didn't know that this is considered hate
Wow, I had better not say anything against groundskeepers when they don't do their job because that might be considered as hate as well.
Oh, and I played high school ball myself and saw how hard they worked but not as hard as the players themselves.
That is a slippery slope that you are going saying that I said they were useless unless they came in and kicked a field goal. No, instead I was thinking that the teams were pounding on each other so very much for a game and 5 overtimes that someone fresh comes in, like a waterboy, that he wins the game.
It is very sad that you take things instantly as hate instead of in a vein of joking.
You must be a very uptight person.

PhoenixSupreme
November 2nd, 2009, 07:03 PM
If I wasn't heading up to WVU to watch them play L'ville this week, I'd definitely hop on GRTC over to UR Stadium to watch the game.

Eight Legger
November 2nd, 2009, 07:08 PM
I think this game is the best matchup of any the big games for Villanova because we tend to stop traditional/pro style offenses very well (see: Temple.) The best way to beat Villanova is to spread them out three and four wide and feed the ball over the middle (preferably to a tight end) and try to pick them apart through the air which Richmond is not built to do as well as other teams. On offense Villanova has a quarterback who requires constant attention by at least one defensive player and I'd venture to say that he's an above average thrower as well (see: Temple game.) If Villanova can get one of it's stable of runners (Whitney, Ball, Babbaro, Szczur or Doss) to get going I could see a dominating performance by Villanova similar to last year's game (the final score didn't illustrate the butt whooping that Villanova laid on the Spiders.)

Good analysis. The only point I might add is that we are equipped to spread out our WRs (probably the best group in the CAA) and throw the ball over the middle. Even though we have the leading rusher in the league, we're a lot more passing-oriented this year and can use the pass to set up the run, which seems to be the way it's gone more often than not. We pass to get ahead, then run to run out the clock.

Grayson, who is probably our best WR, almost seems like a decoy at times. He hasn't had any really big games yet this year, but he's a great target across the middle.

fltheadgriz
November 2nd, 2009, 07:13 PM
To be very frank and no humor at all...
I have a weird feeling that either on this one.
Either this game or next week's game of the week
There will be a bad injury to an offensive lineman in the trenches that will change the way the game and the team that he is on will go.

Spider
November 2nd, 2009, 08:21 PM
SPIDAHS OVER CATS...

Hoyadestroya85
November 2nd, 2009, 08:25 PM
Good analysis. The only point I might add is that we are equipped to spread out our WRs (probably the best group in the CAA) and throw the ball over the middle. Even though we have the leading rusher in the league, we're a lot more passing-oriented this year and can use the pass to set up the run, which seems to be the way it's gone more often than not. We pass to get ahead, then run to run out the clock.

Grayson, who is probably our best WR, almost seems like a decoy at times. He hasn't had any really big games yet this year, but he's a great target across the middle.

Grayson going down early in the VU-UR game last year really tilted the game in The 'Cats' favor. It would also help if the O-Line protected Ward better this year than they did last year because I still think theres an imprint of him left on the turf.

On a side note- Isn't it nice to see the two smallest schools in the CAA duking it out in a game with serious national implications for the second consecutive season.

MacThor
November 3rd, 2009, 08:43 AM
Villanova hasn't given up more than 28 points all year and last year's game was 16-10 if i remember correctly.

26-20. Richmond went for it on 4th and goal from the 4 yard line and our TE dropped a sure TD, so it could have been higher scoring.

But I agree, with two good defenses an over/under in the low 40s should be about right.

MacThor
November 3rd, 2009, 08:50 AM
I think this game is the best matchup of any the big games for Villanova because we tend to stop traditional/pro style offenses very well (see: Temple.) The best way to beat Villanova is to spread them out three and four wide and feed the ball over the middle (preferably to a tight end) and try to pick them apart through the air which Richmond is not built to do as well as other teams.

Have you watched Richmond this year? The offense has gone less traditional with the loss of Hightower/Crone/Vaughan. Sure they'll line up in the I from time to time but that's not Forte's.......um, forte.

Grayson, Boston, Gray and Mitchell make arguably the best four-wide combination in the CAA. Gray and Boston could start on most teams.

This will be a nailbiter and the matchups present problems for UR. I've said repeatedly that VU was the one team UR didn't want to see in our bracket last year.

ASUG8
November 3rd, 2009, 08:52 AM
I'll preface this by saying that I think Richmond IS that good this season - they've dismantled an extremely solid CAA this year. Having said that, I think they're due for a loss, and Nova may be the one to do it. Richmond has done enough to win their games this season, but they haven't seemed to dominate highly ranked teams this year. I'll go with Nova in a squeaker 21-17.

Longhorn
November 3rd, 2009, 08:55 AM
I agree. Having seen both teams Nova seems to be the better squad this year, yet UR is at home. Turnovers and one or two special plays will determine the outcome. I predict Nova in a squeaker.

wideright82
November 3rd, 2009, 09:05 AM
Nova by double digits

apppackdad
November 3rd, 2009, 11:18 AM

Richmond- at home in a low scoring, slobber knocking, brawl.
I would love to see this one!xnodx

GoneTribal
November 3rd, 2009, 11:38 AM
this is going to be a great game, no matter the outcome. That being said, I prefer the Ticks to win, so if we run the table, we win the conf. title. But this really is a toss up.

Comes down to who protects the ball better. I'll say Nova 24 - Richmond 21.

Eight Legger
November 3rd, 2009, 11:46 AM
Villanova supposedly has 15 players down with the flu right now. Interesting.

wideright82
November 3rd, 2009, 12:46 PM
Villanova supposedly has 15 players down with the flu right now. Interesting.

lets hope they are. Richmond needs them to have the flu

molly
November 3rd, 2009, 12:53 PM
this is going to be a great game, no matter the outcome. That being said, I prefer the Ticks to win, so if we run the table, we win the conf. title. But this really is a toss up.

I was thinking the same thing regarding a UR win, but ultimately I don't think it matters for W&M. If the Tribe wins out and finishes 10-1, they should get a seed even if Nova wins the AQ.

I agree that this is going to be a great game and really don't know who to pick. I'll say 21-17 Nova.

Hoyadestroya85
November 3rd, 2009, 01:16 PM
Is it Saturday yet?

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 3rd, 2009, 01:27 PM
lets hope they are. Richmond needs them to have the flu

Oh yeah? Well I think Villanova needs Richmond players to get the flu.

wideright82
November 3rd, 2009, 01:34 PM
Oh yeah? Well I think Villanova needs Richmond players to get the flu.

xoopsx

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 3rd, 2009, 01:39 PM
xoopsx

Oh yeah? xoopsx to you too.

Hoyadestroya85
November 3rd, 2009, 02:03 PM
My thoughts on the game via my blog. (http://novafacts.blogspot.com/2009/11/thoughts-on-villanova-richmond.html)

Eight Legger
November 3rd, 2009, 02:11 PM
Do you Villanova folks expect many of your fans to come down for this one? I don't remember you all traveling that well in the past, but then again it's been awhile since you had a championship-caliber team, too.

wideright82
November 3rd, 2009, 02:13 PM
Oh yeah? xoopsx to you too.

Well played, sir. Well played.

Looks like Richmond wins this game. Sorry fellas. Did my best. xlolx

appstate38
November 3rd, 2009, 02:31 PM
The thing I would like to know about this game, coming from a SoCon guy is this: RIchmond seems to be built on strong defense and an offense that doesn't beat itself. But when given the opportunity can pile up points on you because the D has been strong. Nova is an unknown to me. Are they a wide open offense or ball control. Box scores don't always tell you the whole story.

OL FU
November 3rd, 2009, 03:18 PM
Tied in the poll. xthumbsupx

Hoyadestroya85
November 3rd, 2009, 03:47 PM
The thing I would like to know about this game, coming from a SoCon guy is this: RIchmond seems to be built on strong defense and an offense that doesn't beat itself. But when given the opportunity can pile up points on you because the D has been strong. Nova is an unknown to me. Are they a wide open offense or ball control. Box scores don't always tell you the whole story.

Villanova has been a ball control spread offense this season we're number one in the CAA in rushing offense (top 5 nationally) and we're number one in the CAA in scoring defense (also top 5 nationally.) Our Quarterback is also number one in the league in pass efficiency. So even when you stop the run (or slow the run) Chris Whitney can still beat you with his arm. Last year, a similar (or slightly less talented) Villanova team ran all over a Richmond defense that was better than the one this year.

How Richmond wins:

Air the ball out against our soft zone coverage
Establish play action
Neutralize the pass rush of Villanova
Slow the running game of Villanova and force turnovers
Get good field position

How Villanova wins:

Establish a ground game with your multiple weapons
Keep the defense honest with the play action
Good special teams (field position)
Hit Eric Ward
Protect Chris Whitney
Stop the Run

appmountaineer
November 3rd, 2009, 05:48 PM
Villanova has been a ball control spread offense this season we're number one in the CAA in rushing offense (top 5 nationally) and we're number one in the CAA in scoring defense (also top 5 nationally.) Our Quarterback is also number one in the league in pass efficiency. So even when you stop the run (or slow the run) Chris Whitney can still beat you with his arm. Last year, a similar (or slightly less talented) Villanova team ran all over a Richmond defense that was better than the one this year.

How Richmond wins:

Air the ball out against our soft zone coverage
Establish play action
Neutralize the pass rush of Villanova
Slow the running game of Villanova and force turnovers
Get good field position

How Villanova wins:

Establish a ground game with your multiple weapons
Keep the defense honest with the play action
Good special teams (field position)
Hit Eric Ward
Protect Chris Whitney
Stop the Run

I'm really not sure who will win this one. I saw Nova play against W&M, and was impressed by the way Nova handled and controlled the game. I think if Nova finds a way to get to Ward early in the game, they'll pull off the win.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 3rd, 2009, 08:41 PM
Like I thought.. all the mod's here have hidden agenda's and make up infractions against members whom they don't like. You're all a bunch of f u c king cowards. All you're doing is causing everyone to go over to CHAMPIONSHIPSUBDIVISION.COM and never come back to this pathetic site. It is truly amazing that so many immature cowards subjectively moderate this place without any accountability or repercussions for their actions. Go **** yourselves **** stains!!!

kdinva
November 3rd, 2009, 08:49 PM
Do you Villanova folks expect many of your fans to come down for this one? I don't remember you all traveling that well in the past, but then again it's been awhile since you had a championship-caliber team, too.

Even if they do, your SID will state in the box score an attendance figure of no more than 7,900. (All who attended the VMI-UR game know there were easily 11,500 there, yet the box score listed ~7,850)

Eight Legger
November 3rd, 2009, 09:11 PM
Even if they do, your SID will state in the box score an attendance figure of no more than 7,900. (All who attended the VMI-UR game know there were easily 11,500 there, yet the box score listed ~7,850)

Don't get us started on that topic. I can't remember the last time our "official" attendance was really close to what the apparent attendance was. It all has to do with the new stadium, but it's annoying.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 3rd, 2009, 09:19 PM

xthumbsupx

HoyaMetanoia
November 3rd, 2009, 09:45 PM
I want Richmond to win because that could feasibly set up a matchup between the #1 team in the FCS and the last ranked (Sagarin) team in all of Division 1 (Georgetown).

Bettina90
November 3rd, 2009, 09:45 PM
Don't get us started on that topic. I can't remember the last time our "official" attendance was really close to what the apparent attendance was. It all has to do with the new stadium, but it's annoying.

Explain. I think I recall this topic being discussed both out here and at the home board but I forget....

SpiderJPO
November 3rd, 2009, 10:09 PM
Spiders 31 and Nova 21. Eric Ward will lead us to another victory by picking up blitzes at the line and getting the ball to our multiple weapons at WR. Our defense will not allow a repeat of the interior runs we saw last year.

UR Spider
November 4th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Explain. I think I recall this topic being discussed both out here and at the home board but I forget....

Others can feel free to jump in and correct me, but I believe it is probably in the atheltic department's best interest to show attendance figures that are slightly lower than the capacity for the new stadium (which we all know was capped at about 8,900 so that the parking for the Robins Center would be enough for Robins Stadium and the neighbors wouldn't complain too much about increased traffic).

If you start showing attendance figures of 10,000 - 11,000 it makes the decision to build a stadium that only seats 8,000 - 9,000 look not so smart.

Tribe4SF
November 4th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Others can feel free to jump in and correct me, but I believe it is probably in the atheltic department's best interest to show attendance figures that are slightly lower than the capacity for the new stadium (which we all know was capped at about 8,900 so that the parking for the Robins Center would be enough for Robins Stadium and the neighbors wouldn't complain too much about increased traffic).

If you start showing attendance figures of 10,000 - 11,000 it makes the decision to build a stadium that only seats 8,000 - 9,000 look not so smart.

So the effort is to look smart, when in fact they are not? Let's build a stadium that holds fewer people than we are currently drawing. Pure genius!

MacThor
November 4th, 2009, 08:32 AM
So the effort is to look smart, when in fact they are not? Let's build a stadium that holds fewer people than we are currently drawing. Pure genius!

xrolleyesx Do you really think when they designed the stadium we were drawing as many as we are with the #1 ranked defending national champions?

There was a limit to what they could put on campus.

BlackNGold
November 4th, 2009, 08:37 AM
xrolleyesx Do you really think when they designed the stadium we were drawing as many as we are with the #1 ranked defending national champions?

There was a limit to what they could put on campus.

Not much more exists in terms of additional seating for us either.... The Away Side is right on the road... So no expanding there, The Home Side just got the new Addition of the Press Box... So no expanding there.... We DO have a Bank which is set up perfectly to do some type of Horseshoe... But I dunno when that would happen... I'm sure eventually it will..... But I cant see "Best case scenario" an extra 10K from connecting the Home Side with the Away Side

ur2k
November 4th, 2009, 08:50 AM
The stadium is going to be what it is - 8700 seats. That's the compromise that was made to get it built on campus. It will be too small but it will be on campus and will be open next year - that's what matters.

As far as attendance - many conspiracy theorists (including myself) think that we've been under reporting attendance to not raise any red flags as the new stadium was in the planning/approval/building process with the neighbors around UR and City Council.

Its just weird that our attendance figures have been this year:
7511 - Hofstra
7554 - VMI
8214 - Umass

All of those are under the 8700 amount.

The Umass game was played in a driving rainstorm against a team with very few visiting fans and yet the reported amount is slightly more than when we played VMI with nice weather and a great visiting team crowd? I don't know what it is but something just seems fishy.

MacThor
November 4th, 2009, 09:25 AM
It doesn't matter. The stadium was approved, and we weren't drawing as many fans when that happened. There's been an obvious attendance bump with the team's success.

There was a good crowd at the UMass game before the skies opened up. The Family Four-pack offer brought a lot of families with kids, and most of them split in the first quarter. It just wasn't a good game for the kiddos. Also, it sounds corny but the LBSS marching band travels very well. It's a HUGE high school (much bigger than UR), a nationally-renowned band and their parents follow them around.

It will be verrrrrrry interesting to see the reported attendance for the rivalry game with W&M. Last regular season game at UR stadium, big playoff implications. I'd expect a packed house.

Hoyadestroya85
November 4th, 2009, 09:44 AM
I'm sure that when they built the new stadium, they built it with expansion in mind. Sometimes I wish that Villanova stadium sat less than 12,000 because that way our stadium wouldn't always look empty outside of parents weekend and the Delaware game. The fact is that both Richmond and Villanova are a) Basketball Schools first and b) Schools with smaller enrollments. So a 15,000 plus seat stadium is out of the question. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results so why would Richmond, a school with an enrollment of 2,800 want to build another Bridgeforth Stadium? Especially since Richmond's alumni base tends not to settle locally like Delaware's or some other schools.

Eight Legger
November 4th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Supposedly the new stadium will have 2,000 actual seatbacks and the rest concrete/bleachers. So far I haven't heard with certainty whether students are being included in the 8,700 count or not. I think some of us are assuming there may be a little flexibility in that number for the athletic department to squeeze more people in. After all, once the thing is built, who is going to be policing the actual numbers? The neighbors aren't going to be there counting heads.

There will be room at the stadium to add several thousand more seats at some point in the future, and it's always easier to ask for them gradually (if there's a need) vs. asking for 15,000 all at once. So we'll just wait and see.

Tribe4SF
November 4th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Games against JMU, VMI and W&M have frequently drawn 9-11 thousand. I understand the compromise, but that doesn't make it good business. It's a shame that thousands will be turned away for future games.

UR Spider
November 4th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Games against JMU, VMI and W&M have frequently drawn 9-11 thousand. I understand the compromise, but that doesn't make it good business. It's a shame that thousands will be turned away for future games.

Again I'll only speak for myself, but I'm ok with the decision. The school bends over backwards in attempting to be a good neighbor and did what it had to do to get the stadium built. The alumni base in the immediate area will probably remain a constant due to the school continuing to draw students from areas other then Virignia. It will be nice to have a packed house for a UR sporting event. Going to half empty games in the Robins center and UR stadium gets frustrating some times.

Hoyadestroya85
November 4th, 2009, 10:28 AM
I would be ok with the decision if I was a Richmond fan too. A packed stadium regardless of the size is a psychological advantage for a home team.

ur2k
November 4th, 2009, 11:30 AM

Yeah, but that was the cost of getting it done.

We'll still let in the ones we like, like you SF. It's the purple-wearing ones that we will be happy leaving outside xlolx

bigappfan10
November 4th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Dang I wish I could watch this ballgame. I guess I'm biased but this game is sooo much more interesting than the horrid Big 10 crap thrown on ESPN at 12pm every Saturday :(

LacesOut
November 4th, 2009, 11:50 AM
this game is sooo much more interesting than the horrid Big 10 crap thrown on ESPN at 12pm every Saturday :(

So. Damn. True.

(Go 'Nova!)

jmufan999
November 4th, 2009, 12:50 PM
However, Richmond has the best player on the field in Ward who can carry the team on his own if he has to.

i'd argue that point. i think Sczcur will be the best player on the field. well, offensive player. i'd go like this, overall (non-linemen):

1. Eric McBride, LB (UR)
2. Justin Rogers, CB (UR)
3. Matt Sczcur, WR/Wildcat QB (Nova)
4. Eric Ward, QB (UR)
5. Chris Whitney, QB (Nova)

all of those players qualify as "beastly". i think Whitney might be the most underrated player in the CAA.

Hoyadestroya85
November 4th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Not on that list (that probably should be)
DE Tim Kukucka
LB Terrence Thomas
OG Matt McCracken
OT Ben Ijalana

Tribe4SF
November 4th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Rumors around Williamsburg that Nova has been hit with the flu. Any truth to it? This would be a real shame, but I'm surprised were not having more of it affecting teams.

SpidersSportsEditor
November 4th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Anybody know if there is anywhere on-line where you can listen to the Villanova press conference for this week? I know Richmond puts its press conference on richmondspiders.com, but I'd like to hear the Nova stuff too.

Tribe4SF
November 4th, 2009, 02:17 PM
caasports.com audio vault.

http://www.caasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8500&ATCLID=1178277&KEY=&DB_OEM_ID=8500&DB_LANG=&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT=

Scroll down to find weekly coaches calls.

Hoyadestroya85
November 4th, 2009, 02:41 PM
There was nothing about any flu on Andy Talley's radio show last night.. Sounds like a rumor.

jmufan999
November 4th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Not on that list (that probably should be)
DE Tim Kukucka
LB Terrence Thomas
OG Matt McCracken
OT Ben Ijalana

you didn't read what i said. NON-linemen.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 4th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Rumors around Williamsburg that Nova has been hit with the flu. Any truth to it? This would be a real shame, but I'm surprised were not having more of it affecting teams.

This was on the radio here yesterday. It actually had audio from Talley stating it. I'm not putting much stock into it ... just Talley blowing smoke.

wideright82
November 4th, 2009, 02:58 PM
90% of the team

ericsaid
November 4th, 2009, 03:44 PM
How much homefield advantage can you have with 8,000 people?

JMUNJ08
November 4th, 2009, 03:46 PM
How much homefield advantage can you have with 8,000 people?

Ask Hofstra who draws Uncle Buck and just a few friends:(

Hoyadestroya85
November 4th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Homefield advantage is as much a mentality at this level as it is a function of the number of people who show up. Look at Villanova, we've been dominant the last couple seasons at home and we average about 8,000 people a game.

ASU_MBA
November 4th, 2009, 05:00 PM
I am sorry but I still want to see some O from Richmond before I think they are the best team in the land....
52nd in the country is not too sexy

BDKJMU
November 4th, 2009, 05:04 PM
I'll preface this by saying that I think Richmond IS that good this season - they've dismantled an extremely solid CAA this year. Having said that, I think they're due for a loss, and Nova may be the one to do it. Richmond has done enough to win their games this season, but they haven't seemed to dominate highly ranked teams this year. I'll go with Nova in a squeaker 21-17.

Not yet- they haven't yet played any of the other Big 4 for this yr: Nova, W&M, and UNH. Course they get Nova this Sat and W&M in 2+ weeks.

ItsyBitsySpider
November 4th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Sexy is 17 consecutive wins ... The O is definitely underwhelming at times but they can look completely out of sorts and the defense keeps them in the game .. and then Ward rips off a 75 yard drive when they have to have it.

BDKJMU
November 4th, 2009, 06:43 PM

JMU @ UR last season was official attendance of 16,151, with at least half of that being JMU fans turning UR stadium into Bridgeforth East. Regardless of how far UR goes in the post season and how much of a drop off they suffer next season (listed 14 of 22 senior starters the JMU game), next season VMI and W&M being away, I'm sure they'll sellout at least the 1st half of their home games in the new stadium, obviously including whenever the JMU game is. I imagine the only thing that will prevent all being sellouts is if they have a big drop off (like JMU 08'-09').

kdinva
November 4th, 2009, 07:15 PM

I've attended every VMI-UR game in Richmond the past 30 years...........4 or 5 times the attendance was 15,000+.xcoffeex.........and always a solid 5-figures......until this September.xsmhx

kdinva
November 4th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Games against JMU, VMI and W&M have frequently drawn 9-11 thousand........
......more like 13K - 17K..xreadx

lknspider
November 4th, 2009, 09:12 PM
JMU @ UR last season was official attendance of 16,151, with at least half of that being JMU fans turning UR stadium into Bridgeforth East. Regardless of how far UR goes in the post season and how much of a drop off they suffer next season (listed 14 of 22 senior starters the JMU game), next season VMI and W&M being away, I'm sure they'll sellout at least the 1st half of their home games in the new stadium, obviously including whenever the JMU game is. I imagine the only thing that will prevent all being sellouts is if they have a big drop off (like JMU 08'-09').

JMU didn't have 3500 fans at Richmond last year, Your stadium at home looks half empty everytime I see a photo. How many fans were left in the 4th quarter of the Villanova game this year.......Richmond had 8500 in the driving rain storm for the Mass. game on the same day!!

BDKJMU
November 4th, 2009, 09:25 PM
JMU didn't have 3500 fans at Richmond last year, Your stadium at home looks half empty everytime I see a photo. How many fans were left in the 4th quarter of the Villanova game this year.......Richmond had 8500 in the driving rain storm for the Mass. game on the same day!!

Baloney. At least half that crowd of 16k was JMU. You obviously weren't at the game.

bostonspider
November 4th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Well , the Stadium is very lopsided. From my understanding, the home stands seat 14,000 and the visitor side seats 8,000. I have heard from many JMU sources that they brought about 6,000 down to the game, leaving about 10,000 Spider fans.

DTSpider
November 5th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Well , the Stadium is very lopsided. From my understanding, the home stands seat 14,000 and the visitor side seats 8,000. I have heard from many JMU sources that they brought about 6,000 down to the game, leaving about 10,000 Spider fans.

That would be consistent with both what I've heard and what I saw in person last year (i.e. JMU filled about 75% of the visitor side).

lknspider
November 5th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Baloney. At least half that crowd of 16k was JMU. You obviously weren't at the game.

I haven't missed a Spider football game (home or away) in 3 years. You obiously can't estimate crowds. U of R is the only school putting up actual attendance #'s.

JMU Newbill
November 5th, 2009, 10:33 AM
That would be consistent with both what I've heard and what I saw in person last year (i.e. JMU filled about 75% of the visitor side).

Gotta remember too, a lot of JMU people were intermingled on the home side because of your Nazi like ushers that were giving JMU fans a hard time for trying to sit on the visitor side when they had purchased a home side ticket.

Not saying any of these numbers are right or wrong, but there was a very strong force of JMU fans at the UR game last year, as there usually is in the flip side of that rivalry.

Hoyadestroya85
November 5th, 2009, 12:03 PM
I ran across a pretty short article about Matt Szczur in the Times-Dispatch (I wish a philly paper covered us like they do for you)

100%GRIZ
November 5th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Apparently Comcast is carrying it. Tho I wish ESPNU or VS would pick it up.

Dish Network Chanel 424 @ 4:00 est

seattlespider
November 5th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Dish Network Chanel 424 @ 4:00 est

Game is at 3:30. Odd.

ETA: Ah, I see it. It does list as 3:30.

ASU_MBA
November 5th, 2009, 01:28 PM
28 - 17 Nova...

BlackNGold
November 5th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Hmmm Want Richmond to win this one

Richmond 21
Nova 17

SpiderInTheMixingBowl
November 5th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Spiders 24 - 13

BDKJMU
November 5th, 2009, 03:58 PM

That would be Scotty McGee who leads the CAA in kick return avg. Szcur is #2.

BDKJMU
November 5th, 2009, 04:00 PM
I haven't missed a Spider football game (home or away) in 3 years. You obiously can't estimate crowds. U of R is the only school putting up actual attendance #'s.

You're the one who obviously can't, as even the other UR fans on here say JMU had 6k. Even Dowd said he thought at least half were from JMU. A little over halfway down, right after the start of the "Tailgating And The Fans" section:
"I was surprised how many people were there from JMU. I was told that Richmond is on break and many of the students are off-campus, yet there was still a large crowd as the announced attendance was 16,151, which is the largest since Nov. 21, 1998. From what I saw, I bet at least half in attendance were from JMU."
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2008/10/15/the-caa-today-another-classic?blog=5

lknspider
November 5th, 2009, 04:42 PM
You're the one who obviously can't, as even the other UR fans on here say JMU had 6k. Even Dowd said he thought at least half were from JMU. A little over halfway down, right after the start of the "Tailgating And The Fans" section:
"I was surprised how many people were there from JMU. I was told that Richmond is on break and many of the students are off-campus, yet there was still a large crowd as the announced attendance was 16,151, which is the largest since Nov. 21, 1998. From what I saw, I bet at least half in attendance were from JMU."
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2008/10/15/the-caa-today-another-classic?blog=5

Yeah, we know Bruce Dowd gets it right....don't we??????

SpidersSportsEditor
November 5th, 2009, 04:43 PM

Richmond smothered Scotty even with the back up punter in the second half. Hopefully they use the same strategy against Szczur.

Hoyadestroya85
November 5th, 2009, 04:51 PM

Scottie hasn't scored a touchdown xpeacex so I think we can declare it a push. Scottie's definitely not having the kind of year that he did last year especially returning punts.. because Brandyn Harvey is averaging two yards a return more and I think of Harvey as a fair catch specialist.

iceman4221
November 5th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Richmond @ home +3
+
Coaching in Pressure Situations +1 Richmond 2008 Natl Champions
equals
Richmond over Villanova by 4 points in a close one

Sagrins for Richmond 74.05 vs Villanova 74.82 + Home Advantage 3.31 (.77-3.31 = 2.57)

Richmond by 3

Richmond wins this show down

Hoyadestroya85
November 5th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Richmond smothered Scotty even with the back up punter in the second half. Hopefully they use the same strategy against Szczur.

Szczur doesn't return punts. They limit him to kickoffs sort of like they did with Westbrook.

Hoyadestroya85
November 5th, 2009, 05:47 PM
What I've noticed by looking back at the stats:

The last time Richmond Played a top 5 rushing offense they gave up 194 yards (number would probably have been higher had VMI not been playing catch up) it is also safe to say that VMI doesn't have the athletes or big uglies that Villanova has.
The Turnover margin in the JMU game was 3-0 in favor of the Spiders and Richmond won by less than a touchdown even with Dudzik hurt and the JMU passing game crippled.
Villanova gained over 114 yards on the ground against the nations number one rushing defense in William & Mary (138 yards when you discount sacks.) yet they still won by double digits.
Villanova has only been held below 100 yards rushing once this year (temple) yet Chris Whitney was able to throw for 205 yards in the second half so this is an offense that can adjust.
Richmond averages over 11 yards less per kick return than Villanova. In a game where field position could be critical, Villanova has a decided edge.
Villanova has held every team it has played below it's per game scoring average.
Only once has Villanova been held to less than 24 points.
Chris Whitney has been a (slightly) more efficient passer than Ward.
Villanova has allowed 13 points in the last 10 quarters.

I could do more.. but this is why the game will be at least close and why IMO the matchup favors Villanova at least on paper

BDKJMU
November 5th, 2009, 06:05 PM

Notice I said kick return not punt return. Yeah, and apparently UR was so worried about coverage they forgot to block. A TD is still a TD.....

BDKJMU
November 5th, 2009, 06:21 PM

"obiously"

Yeah, we know Bruce Dowd gets it right....don't we??????

Isn't it past your bedtime? Here, you might need this:

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 5th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Why does it seem that so many threads that have nothing to do with JMU ... end up having something to do with JMU?

MacThor
November 5th, 2009, 08:23 PM
sigh...

The last time Richmond Played a top 5 rushing offense they gave up 194 yards (number would probably have been higher had VMI not been playing catch up) it is also safe to say that VMI doesn't have the athletes or big uglies that Villanova has. 184 yards. You obviously didn't watch the game; VMI was running the whole 2nd half, from behind, including the 66-yard TD.

The Turnover margin in the JMU game was 3-0 in favor of the Spiders and Richmond won by less than a touchdown even with Dudzik hurt and the JMU passing game crippled.
Yeah, technically the blocked punt for a TD and the botched fake FG weren't turnovers, but they had a pretty big effect on the score. At least Dudzik played against UR, and was the only offense they had (almost all on one perfect pass).

I expect both teams to score in the 20s -- below their average offensive output but above their average defensive effort. I just hope it's not decided by another snap over the punter's head.

Hoyadestroya85
November 5th, 2009, 09:02 PM
sigh...

184 yards. You obviously didn't watch the game; VMI was running the whole 2nd half, from behind, including the 66-yard TD.

Yeah, technically the blocked punt for a TD and the botched fake FG weren't turnovers, but they had a pretty big effect on the score. At least Dudzik played against UR, and was the only offense they had (almost all on one perfect pass).

I expect both teams to score in the 20s -- below their average offensive output but above their average defensive effort. I just hope it's not decided by another snap over the punter's head.

how many such bad snaps have there been?

Bettina90
November 5th, 2009, 09:05 PM
a lot.

Hoyadestroya85
November 5th, 2009, 09:11 PM
In every game i've been to this year (every game except UNH and JMU) Villanova has been putting serious pressure on the punter. Clint Wiley is a hell of a special teams coach and if he sees that as a weakness, he'll exploit it. Our best pass rushers are on the punt team as is.

Bettina90
November 5th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Villanova 42, Richmond 8. Villanova blocks 4 punts for TDs and Richmond takes a safety down 42-6 just to save face.

Hoyadestroya85
November 5th, 2009, 09:17 PM
You said it.. I've said numerous times that i expect a close game

spdram
November 5th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Hoya and other Nova fans, we've talked about why Richmond wins and where you might be able to expoit us; you've talked about how Nova wins, now how does Richmond exploit your weaknesses (we all know you have them).

Bettina90
November 5th, 2009, 09:26 PM
This is the odd game where I want Richmond to win, but can live with whatever the result is. Tasting defeat at this juncture, with a playoff spot wrapped up, might not be the worst thing that can happen.

MacThor
November 5th, 2009, 09:39 PM
This is the odd game where I want Richmond to win, but can live with whatever the result is. Tasting defeat at this juncture, with a playoff spot wrapped up, might not be the worst thing that can happen.

Sometimes I feel the same way - but now that we're in November I think it's all about winning big games against great teams. The "stinging defeats" of the past two years both happened in October.

London was asked about this, and seemed incredulous that anyone would imply that losing a game could be "good" for the team.

Hoyadestroya85
November 5th, 2009, 09:46 PM
We have several weaknesses
Here's how you beat Villanova:

If you throw the ball to the deep middle of the field with a rangy tight end or meastly big wide receiver you'll get about 75 percent of them. That's how UNH killed us.
attack the right side of the offensive line when whitney drops back to pass. Sid would have had a field day with this right tackle situation.
keep a tight end and a back in to protect and run routes with two or three men, that kills our pass rush and generally leaves receivers open because we blitz so much.
Penetrate the A-Gap. When Whitney sees pressure in his face, he panics and is a much less effective passer. Penn did this nearly to perfection and they held us to next to nothing throwing the ball.
Test the deep coverage from time to time on the outside.. we've been beaten by long passes outside the numbers a few times.. it hasn't happened much lately but Temple did a good job early on with it.
This isn't a weakness but play assignment football. Our running game (except the wildcat) is based on the zone read, so if your defensive linemen hold then point rather than try to attack Whitney all the time you'll have success. If you try to attack whitney, he'll just give it to the running back.

BDKJMU
November 5th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Scottie hasn't scored a touchdown xpeacex so I think we can declare it a push. Scottie's definitely not having the kind of year that he did last year especially returning punts. because Brandyn Harvey is averaging two yards a return more and I think of Harvey as a fair catch specialist.

Sczur has had one more kick return for a TD than Scotty...

Wildcat80
November 6th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Since the University of New Hampshire already has beaten nova...i'm for them to upset richmond clearing the way for UNH as CAA Champions!! xnodxxnodxxnodx

Eight Legger
November 6th, 2009, 07:04 AM
We need to win this game, because it guarantees us a 1 or 2 seed if we do. I can stomach a loss to W&M because we'd be 10-1, they wouldn't jump us in the standings and we'd still be ahead of them for a seed. Lose to Villanova and they would have the leg up for the seed. I want three home playoff games this year, and that's what we are playing for on Saturday.

spdram
November 6th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Interesting to me how many people are picking against Richmond, not because they think Villanova is better, but because they think a) the streaks gotta end sometime or b) a Richmond loss is better for our team. xwhistlex

AshevilleApp2
November 6th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Should be a great game. I wish Sports South was covering it.

centraljerseycat
November 6th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Villanova 28
Richmond 24
Whitney to Szczur with 30 seconds left.

Hoyadestroya85
November 6th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Interesting to me how many people are picking against Richmond, not because they think Villanova is better, but because they think a) the streaks gotta end sometime or b) a Richmond loss is better for our team. xwhistlex

I don't feel that Richmond is the better team. I didn't feel that way last year (neither did Bruce Dowd.) Richmond had to play against JMU in the second round last year i honestly think we would have seen the same outcome.

Picking against someone just because their streak "has to end" is foolish because if you wanted to you could find a way that a specific team was going to lose any game. I do think though that I have clearly demonstrated some degree of level headedness in my argument as to why Villanova can win and how Richmond can win.

Tribe4SF
November 6th, 2009, 08:06 AM
I can stomach a loss to W&M because we'd be 10-1, they wouldn't jump us in the standings and we'd still be ahead of them for a seed.

Hopefully we get to see how a 10-1 UR and a 10-1 Tribe get treated. Not sure you're right about how that would play out. Head-to-head in the last game of the season would carry alot of weight, and W&M would have beaten UNH the week before.

Speculation is fun, but these next three weeks are going to be more fun.xthumbsupx

Skjellyfetti
November 6th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Is it on Versus?

Hoyadestroya85
November 6th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Is it on Versus?

nah, CSN and maybe CSS

lknspider
November 6th, 2009, 08:22 AM
I don't feel that Richmond is the better team. I didn't feel that way last year (neither did Bruce Dowd.) Richmond had to play against JMU in the second round last year i honestly think we would have seen the same outcome.

Picking against someone just because their streak "has to end" is foolish because if you wanted to you could find a way that a specific team was going to lose any game. I do think though that I have clearly demonstrated some degree of level headedness in my argument as to why Villanova can win and how Richmond can win.

Richmond wins 31-23. Vegas odds pick Spiders and they are right far more than the amateur pickers on this board!!

Hoyadestroya85
November 6th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Richmond wins 31-23. Vegas odds pick Spiders and they are right far more than the amateur pickers on this board!!

They don't do as much fact checking when they pick a game like this because if you bet on 1-AA football, you have a serious gambling problem. and link?

Hoyadestroya85
November 6th, 2009, 10:59 AM
This isn't good (http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/ncaa/ncaa/ncaa+news/ncaa+news+online/2009/division+i/richmond+penalized+for+text-messaging_11_05_09_ncaa_news). In the defense of the football team, it looks like they were among the least culpable. Basketball however, that looks like a problem. The investigative power of the NCAA is rather incredible.

Eight Legger
November 6th, 2009, 11:05 AM
This issue is old news, Hoya. The asst. basketball coach deemed most culpable was let go more than a year ago. UR's president sent a letter about the schools findings to every student and alum last year as soon as the school had learned of the problems.

Hoyadestroya85
November 6th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Well at this point, you'll have to cross every 't' and dot every 'i'. I'd heard about it too, but if the basketball team commits one primary violation or one or two secondary violations they're going to be affected. Villanova's basketball program was starting to sell itself when we got put on probation. Richmond is in a smaller (I don't want to be snobby and say lesser) conference, a more remote area and doesn't get nearly the national exposure so that could be a crushing blow to your program if your coaches don't have the opportunity to sell the program.

Unrelated to this situation, I just wanted to say this:

Mike London was on the Andy Talley Radio Show on saturday and he seems like he's one of the classiest human beings on the planet. In a profession full of d*ckheads and snake oil salesmen 'Cough' Keeler 'Cough'; guys like Mike london are a rarity. If I was a football player, he would be the kind of coach i would want to play for and If I was a parent he would be the kind of coach I'd want my kid to play for. Enjoy that guy while you have him, because coaches with that combination of coaching ability, leadership, intensity, charisma and class are something you find very seldom in a college coach. I'm just hoping that Virginia or an even more high profile school offers him a job so Villanova doesn't have to play him anymore! :p

UncleSam
November 6th, 2009, 11:42 AM
In a profession full of d*ckheads and snake oil salesmen 'Cough' Keeler 'Cough'; guys like Mike london are a rarity.

Hey - that 'snake oil' salesman won more championships and just as many playoff games in his first 2 years at UD than Andy Talley has won in his 24 years at Villanova.

ps - I agree - KC is a snake oil salesman

Skjellyfetti
November 6th, 2009, 12:02 PM
This issue is old news, Hoya. The asst. basketball coach deemed most culpable was let go more than a year ago. UR's president sent a letter about the schools findings to every student and alum last year as soon as the school had learned of the problems.

Article says 8 sports at Richmond will have recruiting restrictions placed on them. Is football one of these sports? If so, what are the restrictions?

Looks like y'all are putting together quite the class, though xeekx:
http://richmond.rivals.com/commitlist.asp?school=172

MacThor
November 6th, 2009, 12:44 PM
We need to win this game, because it guarantees us a 1 or 2 seed if we do. I can stomach a loss to W&M because we'd be 10-1, they wouldn't jump us in the standings and we'd still be ahead of them for a seed. Lose to Villanova and they would have the leg up for the seed. I want three home playoff games this year, and that's what we are playing for on Saturday.

I think if W&M runs the table they'd get a seed ahead of us. (Both 10-1 and they have H2H). I think any CAA team that finishes 10-1 gets a seed though.

It would be reallly cool to have the last game at UR stadium be a national semi on ESPN.

Ivytalk
November 6th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Now 85-82 lead for Nova in our scientific poll!:p

Any 3-point shooters in here?:D

ur2k
November 6th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Now 85-82 lead for Nova in our scientific poll!:p

Any 3-point shooters in here?:D

We like being the under dog xnodx

Hoyadestroya85
November 6th, 2009, 01:39 PM
This is the closest poll i've ever seen on AGS with over 100 votes..

Mattymc727
November 6th, 2009, 01:53 PM
[QUOTE=MacThor;1456269]I think if W&M runs the table they'd get a seed ahead of us. (Both 10-1 and they have H2H). I think any CAA team that finishes 10-1 gets a seed though.

I dont think a 10-1 UNH gets a seed. Lack of stadium and not a very strong schedule will cause that

SpiderFan
November 6th, 2009, 03:42 PM
I think the difference in the game is our kicking game/special teams which has been abysmal on the punting side of things. And I think we actually feel the pressure of homecoming and playing the #4 team in Villanova. However I think the next 2 weeks we'll win and still get a seed, just not the #1 one.

Wildcats 37 Spiders 28

Eight Legger
November 6th, 2009, 03:51 PM
I expect UNH to beat W&M, that's why I don't think losing to W&M would hurt us if we beat Nova.

Hoyadestroya85
November 6th, 2009, 05:26 PM
I expect UNH to beat W&M, that's why I don't think losing to W&M would hurt us if we beat Nova.

I think W&M beats UNH.. If there was anything Villanova did to UNH, it was put Toman on his ass. William & Mary has one of the better D-Lines I've ever seen at this level.

Eight Legger
November 6th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I think W&M beats UNH.. If there was anything Villanova did to UNH, it was put Toman on his ass. William & Mary has one of the better D-Lines I've ever seen at this level.

I certainly won't argue with you. You're the one holding two handguns, while I merely have a helmet with a spider on it.

Hoyadestroya85
November 6th, 2009, 09:05 PM
I certainly won't argue with you. You're the one holding two handguns, while I merely have a helmet with a spider on it.
Haha, I'm Just paying my respect to the dead.

gbhmt
November 7th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Is this streaming anywhere?

WrenFGun
November 7th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Audio is available on yahoo! Haven't found any video.

WrenFGun
November 7th, 2009, 03:23 PM
'Nova missed a very short FG. Not sure on the score.

WrenFGun
November 7th, 2009, 03:32 PM
NOVA leads 7-0 with about 11 to go in the 2nd.

ItsyBitsySpider
November 7th, 2009, 03:41 PM
TD Spids

WrenFGun
November 7th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Richmond scores but bad snap on XP results in a failed conversion attempted. UR 7-'Nova 6 at an indeterminate time during the game.

WrenFGun
November 7th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Chris Whitney 23 yard TD pass to Matt Szczur. Nova 14-6 with about a minute and a half to go before half.

ItsyBitsySpider
November 7th, 2009, 04:11 PM
very lucky to be in the game. O has done very little and D has been on the field a lot.

SpidersSportsEditor
November 7th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Villanova dominated the half and Richmond made some key mistakes. The officials also blew the first Villanova touchdown call. The wide receiver was clearly out of bounds and the backjudge was right there and he still missed the call. The Spiders have been magical during this run, but with a missed extra point, the way Nova has played on D and a call that bad, it's going to be tough.

Tod
November 7th, 2009, 04:28 PM
any video feed?

Bettina90
November 7th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Wow, I just realized that Comcast in Philly is scheduled to cut this game at 6:00 for "Inside Golf" then Flyers pregame at 6:30. We'll see if that's accurate.

ItsyBitsySpider
November 7th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Trick play = INT. We've had a few of these questionable calls this year.

tribe_pride
November 7th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Its on CSN in the DC area

WrenFGun
November 7th, 2009, 04:49 PM
'DOH. Whitney throws a pick near the Richmond goaline and Richmond brings it to the 'Nova 25. HuGE PLAY.

seattlespider
November 7th, 2009, 05:00 PM
14-14!

Bettina90
November 7th, 2009, 05:01 PM
And I did not lose coverage! Might happen at 6:30 for Flyers pregame, though.

seattlespider
November 7th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Spiders get a three and out! Big mo to the Spiders!

seattlespider
November 7th, 2009, 05:12 PM
VU with an INT at their own five.

WrenFGun
November 7th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Ward with an INT, 3rd and 1 for 'Nova at the 'Nova 14 with probably around 7 to go.

seattlespider
November 7th, 2009, 05:16 PM
UR ball at their 38. 1st and 10. 6:12 left in the 4th.

14-14

tribe_pride
November 7th, 2009, 05:18 PM
UR goes for it at 4th and 1 at their own 48 and gets it. Good job by the RB to get it.

seattlespider
November 7th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Oops. No punt! What a gamble!

tribe_pride
November 7th, 2009, 05:27 PM
UR with the TD but once again misses the TD. Bad snap messes up the kick.

20-14 UR

Bettina90
November 7th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Wow. I don't like the idea of Nova with 4 downs.

seattlespider
November 7th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Just unbelievable.

tribe_pride
Don't like the squib giving VU the ball at their own 42.

JMU Newbill
villanova has a chance

3E9App
November 7th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Really good game here can the UR D step up?

tribe_pride
November 7th, 2009, 05:33 PM
4th and 11 at the UR 29. VU with the time out

seattlespider
November 7th, 2009, 05:33 PM
4th down!

93henfan
November 7th, 2009, 05:34 PM
TD Nova

iceman4221
It's make or break time, with 1:10 on the clock and the UR defense is pressuring Villanova's QB... on a 3rd and 10, Blitz and the Spiders Shut Dat "You Know What Down", forcing Nova to use there last timeout to stop the clock. Its 4th and 11 Nova at the 29 of Richmond

tribe_pride
TD VU on 4th and 11.

Nice catch.

20-20 with the XP to come. 1 minute to go.

JMU Newbill
November 7th, 2009, 05:35 PM
wow

tribe_pride
21-20

3E9App
Wow what a game this is.

JMU Newbill
special teams in big games at home..... wow

iceman4221
The season for the CAA is on the line now, with a minute and Nova has a TD!!!

WrenFGun
TOUCHDOWN NOVA. NEED THE XP FOR THE LEAD!

mistersykes
November 7th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Wow.

smcwildcat
wowww

tribe_pride
Anyone know the Richmond Timeout situation is like? I know they used 1 at least

smcwildcat
nova up 1 w 59 left

iceman4221
Wow, its 21-20 Villanova over Richmond with 59 seconds on the clock - will Richmond lose their Homecoming... The XP miss by the Spiders is Haunting them at this moment!!!

93henfan
November 7th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Wow. If Nova pulls this off, it'll be a 4-team 8-1 CAA logjam.

iceman4221
November 7th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Richmond receives the ball on the 17 yard line returns to the 24 yard line on that kick off return... With 54 seconds to go... 1st down pass is knocked down by Nova...

JMU Newbill
November 7th, 2009, 05:39 PM
game of the year so far

93henfan
November 7th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Richmond now in field goal range!xlolx What a game.

iceman4221
50 seconds on the clock and the pass is 1 yard shy of the 1st down and the receiver goes out of bounds to stop the clock...

tribe_pride
Let's go RICHMOND!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UR at the VIllanova 22. 19 seconds 1 timeout

JMU Newbill
sorry..... all we hear about is AE this and AE that..... Ward is a winner... i dont care if richmond makes this field goal or not..... Ward should get the Payton this year

3E9App
Wow UR Down to Nova 36 with 30 seconds left

iceman4221
1st down Richmond has a catch at the 39 yd line of Nova with 39 seconds...

iceman4221
November 7th, 2009, 05:41 PM
19 seconds and Richmond has the ball at the 22 yard line of NOVA... LOL

iceman4221
November 7th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Field Goal Range and the Richmond Spiders spike the ball

93henfan
November 7th, 2009, 05:42 PM
FIELD GOAL IS NO GOOD!!!

JMU Newbill
wow

special teams

3E9App
Down to Nova 17 UR to attempt game winning FG.

tribe_pride
No good

iceman4221
Richmond has the ball on the NOVA 17 with 4 seconds to go in the game...

93henfan
And there goes the perfect season.

DSUrocks07
wide left

3E9App
November 7th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Wow what a game. . . . . Amazing

tribe_pride
Funny

Silenoz
So unless we lose to ISU (which is looking possible at the moment..) who is your number 1? UM, SIU, or VU?

skinny_uncle
Is it over?

DSUrocks07
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

iceman4221
A field goal attempt of 35 yards for the ball game!!!

ASUPATCH
sorry..... all we hear about is AE this and AE that..... Ward is a winner... i dont care if richmond makes this field goal or not..... Ward should get the Payton this year

Well for today at least Ward is a loser.

JMU Newbill
holy crap... did anyone else's feed have the "f-bomb" get dropped by someone who is obviously on a microphone and does not realize it?

iceman4221
Richmond misses the field goal and Nova pulls the upset over Richmond on their Homecoming...

smcwildcat
November 7th, 2009, 05:44 PM
unh wins out and wins caa?

4th and What?
holy crap... did anyone else's feed have the "f-bomb" get dropped by someone who is obviously on a microphone and does not realize it?

Yeah, it was the second commentator. He hasn't said a word since.

WrenFGun
Congrats to 'Nova!

...(who's that team with a victory over them?)

tribe_pride
Was that one of the 2 announcers? Didn't sound like them

skinny_uncle
So unless we lose to ISU (which is looking possible at the moment..) who is your number 1? UM, SIU, or VU?
Montana, although I hate to say it.
xeyebrowx

WrenFGun
unh wins out and wins caa?

Yep..if UNH beats W&M and Maine to close out they are your CAA champions.

DSUrocks07
November 7th, 2009, 05:45 PM
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"End This ******* Game Already" xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Live TV Quote of the Year!!!!!

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

HiHiYikas
November 7th, 2009, 05:45 PM
I saw that!

"What a bum! C'mon, end this F****ng game, already! UUUHH!"

Was that one of the announcers?