PDA

View Full Version : Most impressive FBS win so far?

BDKJMU
November 1st, 2009, 02:56 PM
During the VT-UNC game on Thur announcers mentioned I-AA being 4-77 vs I-A, with all 4 wins coming from the CAA, 2 of them being against ACC teams.

Its 5 wins- they must have forgotten about UCA over WKU.

So of those 5 wins, what has turned out to be the most impressive? It obviously comes down to UR over Duke and Nova over Temple, and I think its a tough call between those 2, as I think Duke and Temple would be a good game:

-Temple since they lost to Nova 27-24: 6-1, only lost @ Penn St

-Duke since they lost 24-16 to UR: 5-2, only losses to then #2 Kansas and then #6 still ranked VT (by only 8)

-UVA since they lost to 26-14 to W&M: 3-4 (just got beat by Duke at home 28-17)

-Ball State since they lost 23-16 to UNH: winless

-WKY since they lost 28-7 to UCA: winless.

seattlespider
November 1st, 2009, 02:57 PM
Temple and Duke obviously fighting it out. Temple did get a vote in the AP top 25 this week.

Jackman
November 1st, 2009, 03:05 PM
During the VT-UNC game on Thur announcers mentioned I-AA being 4-77 vs I-A, with all 4 wins coming from the CAA, 3 of them being against ACC teams.

It's also only 2 wins against ACC teams. JMU nearly made it 3 but got conservative too early.

Great research by the announcers though. I take it they missed the name change to the subdivisions too. At least they got the CAA's name right.

theasushow
November 1st, 2009, 03:12 PM
During the VT-UNC game on Thur announcers mentioned I-AA being 4-77 vs I-A, with all 4 wins coming from the CAA, 3 of them being against ACC teams.

So of those 5 wins, what has turned out to be the most impressive? It obviously comes down to UR over Duke and Nova over Temple, and I think its a tough call between those 2, as I think Duke and Temple would be a good game:

-Temple since they lost to Nova 27-24: 6-1, only lost @ Penn St

-Duke since they lost 24-16 to UR: 5-2, only losses to then #2 Kansas and then #6 still ranked VT (by only 8)

-UVA since they lost to 26-14 to W&M: 3-4 (just got beat by Duke at home 28-17)

-Ball State since they lost 23-16 to UNH: winless

-WKY since they lost 28-7 to UCA: winless.

pretty sure Kansas was never ranked #2 in the country, 22 maybe. i get your point though!

BDKJMU
November 1st, 2009, 03:19 PM
I did have the thread title "Most impressive I-A win so far". Someone got their panties in a wad and changed it to FBS. Go figurexrolleyesx.

I gues you're not allowed to say "I-A" around here? Heaven forbid xrolleyesx

UNH Fanboi
November 1st, 2009, 03:21 PM
Ball State does have 1 win btw...

BDKJMU
November 1st, 2009, 03:21 PM
It's also only 2 wins against ACC teams. JMU nearly made it 3 but got conservative too early.

Great research by the announcers though. I take it they missed the name change to the subdivisions too. At least they got the CAA's name right.

Oops, yeah, my bad, only 2 wins against ACC. I must have been dreaming that JMU beat MD. xrolleyesx

Hood
November 1st, 2009, 06:32 PM
Not a win, but I still have to take my hat off to UNI against Iowa.

BDKJMU
November 1st, 2009, 08:33 PM
Ball State does have 1 win btw...

My bad. They were 0-7 before beating E. Mich last week 29-27. I must have heard the winless right before that. Now they're 1-8.

BEAR
November 1st, 2009, 08:44 PM
The only thing impressive about the UCA win over Western Kentucky was the WKU facilities. If UCA could have pulled out the Hawaii win...xlolx

UNIFanSince1983
November 1st, 2009, 09:21 PM
It seems Western Kentucky is a middle to bottom pack FCS team playing a FBS schedule and a FBS conference.

So far I think the Duke win was the most impressive. I know Temple has been playing well, but they are not playing as tough of teams as Duke on a week in week out basis. I mean it is just the conferences they play in.

My hat is off to Richmond, and I think they should be favorites to repeat this year.

Pard 82
November 1st, 2009, 10:05 PM
Temple did get a vote in the AP top 25 this week.

From who, Bill Cosby???

SoDakState
November 1st, 2009, 11:22 PM
From who, Bill Cosby???

hahaha funny stuff right there..

ValleyChamp
November 1st, 2009, 11:37 PM
The win over Duke is more impressive. They have beaten some decent teams since then. I don't think Temple has beaten anyone.

CamelCityAppFan
November 2nd, 2009, 07:52 AM
The Duke win by Richmond looks better each week. 2nd in their divsion right now (xeekx) with some good wins to their credit. The way they manhandled NC State on the road is one of the more impressive (and underappreciated) accomplishments in all of ACC play so far this year.

They have a couple of tough games ahead (GT, Miami), and the game against UNC should be verrrrrrry interesting.

Don't know if Duke can continue to hold on, but they are no longer the patsies of the ACC (at least not this year).

So way to go Spiders! xthumbsupx

clinchBoy
November 2nd, 2009, 08:25 AM
I would have to say Gardner Webb over Southern Virginia, or Gardner Webb over Mars Hill. Both of those were really impressive! Absolutely huge wins for the program.

proasu89
November 2nd, 2009, 08:56 AM
UR vs duke

89Hen
November 2nd, 2009, 09:05 AM
Duke > Temple easily IMO. xpeacex

bigappfan10
November 2nd, 2009, 10:29 AM
The time to catch one of those teams is when they are getting the kinks out right at the beginning of the season and that even goes for 1-A teams as well. Trust me, Boise State would want no part of Oregon at this point in the season just as Richmond would meet a different Duke team in November. That's the only reason I thought App had a chance against ECU in early September-but who knew it would take half the dang season for our team to wake up.

bostonspider
November 2nd, 2009, 11:30 AM
But App's struggles show that the FCS teams are working just as hard to get the kinks out at the beginning of the season, so it works both ways. Maybe ASU vs. ECU today would lead to a Mountaineer's victory, with the way the O has been playing.

bigappfan10
November 2nd, 2009, 02:00 PM
Actually, that's a great point. Which is why I am sooooo glad I-AA has a playoff system...interesting that the only level so far behind the times is the "top" one in college football. A popularity vote for champion...shees....

Hoyadestroya85
November 2nd, 2009, 03:57 PM
The win over Duke is more impressive. They have beaten some decent teams since then. I don't think Temple has beaten anyone.

They beat Navy this week.. Navy is pretty good and have already locked up another bowl berth essentially.

wkuhillhound
September 12th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Western Kentucky will win this season so that will change, based on what I have seen in the Sun Belt and compared them and the Toppers will steal some wins in the conference. They looked better every game since and have no doubt about their chances this season. WKU had two HUGE touchdown plays in the game against Kentucky. A 57 yd-touchdown run by Rainey and McNeil's 90 yd PUNT return for a TD in the 4th quarter. They still put up 28 against Kentucky so I like our chances.

ekufbfan
September 12th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Western Kentucky will win this season so that will change, based on what I have seen in the Sun Belt and compared them and the Toppers will steal some wins in the conference. They looked better every game since and have no doubt about their chances this season. WKU had two HUGE touchdown plays in the game against Kentucky. A 57 yd-touchdown run by Rainey and McNeil's 90 yd PUNT return for a TD in the 4th quarter. They still put up 28 against Kentucky so I like our chances.

LMAO! Are you kidding me, wku 24, uk 63! 63 Points! I'm not a uk fan, but the cats clobbered wku, laying 63 points on the toppers? Could not have happened to a more deserving program than wku.
And before you start, I know EKU isn't setting the world on fire right now, but we don't have the longest losing streak in the country either.

JBB
September 12th, 2010, 11:01 AM
I thought the moral victory UND had over NIU was the biggest win:

UNDivnce97-01
I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE moral victories, but I agree. While this team still has a lot of question marks, it is still a very young team that showed a lot of improvement and more importantly, character. We could/should have won this game.

Congratulations to UND!!! This is on the heels of the big Moral Victory at Texas Tech last year. What a thrill for their fans and their team. To think some of those kids were playing 9 man football just a year or so ago. :D

wkuhillhound
September 12th, 2010, 11:37 AM
LMAO! Are you kidding me, wku 24, uk 63! 63 Points! I'm not a uk fan, but the cats clobbered wku, laying 63 points on the toppers? Could not have happened to a more deserving program than wku.
And before you start, I know EKU isn't setting the world on fire right now, but we don't have the longest losing streak in the country either.

What does that say about Nebraska the #8 team in the country at the time of play of "only" scoring 49? Of course, you wouldn't know anything about WKU since you like to hate? By the way it was 28 not 24, get your facts straight. The losing streak will be broken this season, hater. I will always be a fan of WKU whether they lose 22 straight or win 22 straight.

DJOM
September 12th, 2010, 11:42 AM
I have to say that Montana State losing to Washington state by one point was very impressive.

ekufbfan
September 12th, 2010, 01:10 PM
What does that say about Nebraska the #8 team in the country at the time of play of "only" scoring 49? Of course, you wouldn't know anything about WKU since you like to hate? By the way it was 28 not 24, get your facts straight. The losing streak will be broken this season, hater. I will always be a fan of WKU whether they lose 22 straight or win 22 straight.

"Hater"? Do you think that bothers me in the least. Call me what you like, do I dislike Western? You bet. And here's why.
If you have been around Western for any length of time you know that the EKU-Western rivalry goes back many, many years. It was there long before there was the UK-UL rivalry. But that's not the whole story. It's the fact that Western left the OVC and then would not play EKU in basketball. Some 15 years ago Western almost dropped football and ROY KIDD made the effort to continue playing Western when we could have dropped you from our schedule! Then Western goes FBS (and I give your Adminstration props for all they have done), but what put the icing on the cake is this. Western won't play EKU anymore in football either. Western fans and athletic department imply that it's beneath them, we will hurt "their image". The WHINING and CRYING that Western did for years in regard to UK and UL not playing them and the impression that they were looking down on "little brother" is the same ego trip that Western is on now.

Just curious????xchinscratchx
No offense intended, but why is a Western fan on the AGS Board when they have "moved on" (your fan's words not mine).

wkuhillhound
September 12th, 2010, 01:33 PM
"Hater"? Do you think that bothers me in the least. Call me what you like, do I dislike Western? You bet. And here's why.
If you have been around Western for any length of time you know that the EKU-Western rivalry goes back many, many years. It was there long before there was the UK-UL rivalry. But that's not the whole story. It's the fact that Western left the OVC and then would not play EKU in basketball. Some 15 years ago Western almost dropped football and ROY KIDD made the effort to continue playing Western when we could have dropped you from our schedule! Then Western goes FBS (and I give your Adminstration props for all they have done), but what put the icing on the cake is this. Western won't play EKU anymore in football either. Western fans and athletic department imply that it's beneath them, we will hurt "their image". The WHINING and CRYING that Western did for years in regard to UK and UL not playing them and the impression that they were looking down on "little brother" is the same ego trip that Western is on now.

Just curious????xchinscratchx
No offense intended, but why is a Western fan on the AGS Board when they have "moved on" (your fan's words not mine).

Because I became a member when Western was FCS. Just because they are in FBS, I don't automatically drop AGS. I also have a loyal following of people on my Weight Watchers thread on here. I have made friends on here and CS so I keep my commitment to them also.

First, WKU wanted to continue to be in the OVC until the OVC wanted an all or nothing proposition. WKU preceded to win the OVC Championship in their last year. To this day, WKU is the last OVC team to make it past the 1st round in the FCS Tournament. Crow all you want about about WKU's arrogance, but until you win a playoff game, the "Hilltopper" monkey will continue to be on your back. What's worse the OVC could have had a national championship on its banner instead it is MVFC that has it. Laughing all the way to bank with THAT one. xnodx

BTW, I graduated from WKU in 2001, I am very familiar with the WKU/EKU rivalry in football.

ekufbfan
September 12th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Hijacking this thread was not my intention. But.....wkuhillhound
1. Just asking WHY you were still on AGS. Weight Watchers? I'm all for healthy life styles. Makes sense and I have no problem with that at all.
2. My dislike for Western has nothing to do with the OVC Conference and Western winning the OVC the last year they were a member. I had not given that a thought. It is just not as simple as that, even if you want to think this is all about Western winning a playoff game and NC that's not the issue here. It DOES has everything to do with the MANY YEARS EKU-Western played in the two major sports and now Western's ego is mimicking the two schools in KY they love to hate.
Oh just in case you forgot, let me remind you EKU has two NC banners (thus the OVC has two also in case any OVC school has worried about that, which I doubt!)

wkuhillhound
September 12th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Hijacking this thread was not my intention. But.....wkuhillhound
1. Just asking WHY you were still on AGS. Weight Watchers? I'm all for healthy life styles. Makes sense and I have no problem with that at all.
2. My dislike for Western has nothing to do with the OVC Conference and Western winning the OVC the last year they were a member. I had not given that a thought. It is just not as simple as that, even if you want to think this is all about Western winning a playoff game and NC that's not the issue here. It DOES has everything to do with the MANY YEARS EKU-Western played in the two major sports and now Western's ego is mimicking the two schools in KY they love to hate.
Oh just in case you forgot, let me remind you EKU has two NC banners (thus the OVC has two also in case any OVC school has worried about that, which I doubt!)

3>2, but if the OVC wants 2 that's perfectly fine with me. We will take our more "recent" NC and fly it all over L.T. Smith Stadium.

bjtheflamesfan
September 12th, 2010, 02:10 PM
alright guys, lets keep your personal fights personal...you dont want any of the striped shirts comin in here

ekufbfan
September 12th, 2010, 02:20 PM
I'm done. wkuhill you don't get it, won't get it and you don't want to, so.....a beautiful day that I'm outta here to enjoy.
(Think I'll go eat some carrots, or broccoli or WW lemon cakes.......)

GeauxLions94
September 12th, 2010, 02:25 PM
From who, Bill Cosby???

hahaha funny stuff right there..

Nah, Camille