PDA

View Full Version : Richmond Receives Vote in AP Top 25

EKUSteve
November 1st, 2009, 02:25 PM
Congrats to the Spiders on receiving a vote in the AP Top 25. Someone ranked the Spiders as the 25th best team in the country.

seattlespider
November 1st, 2009, 02:40 PM
Sweet! Thanks for the heads up!

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 1st, 2009, 02:45 PM
Leading up to the Villanova game --- we surely didn't need that! Thanks!

santosballnewhampshire
November 1st, 2009, 02:48 PM
Is this the first time this has happened since the App State rule came into play?

ValleyChamp
November 1st, 2009, 02:49 PM
UNI recieved a vote in '07.

seattlespider
November 1st, 2009, 02:49 PM
Leading up to the Villanova game --- we surely didn't need that! Thanks!

I know it. Especially given the immense amount of trash talking I'll be doing out here to Husky and Cougar fans.

santosballnewhampshire
November 1st, 2009, 02:53 PM
UNI recieved a vote in '07.

Oh word, thanks.

MacThor
November 1st, 2009, 02:53 PM
Who here wants to bet it's a writer from the Philly area, giving VU some locker room BB material?

ur2k
November 1st, 2009, 02:55 PM
Who here wants to bet it's a writer from the Philly area, giving VU some locker room BB material?

Someone posted on Spidernation that it was a writer from the SF chronicle.

UNH Fanboi
November 1st, 2009, 02:57 PM
Is this the first time this has happened since the App State rule came into play?

App St. rule?

sluki86
November 1st, 2009, 03:01 PM
App St. rule?

Google is your friend.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3008022 (App St. Rule)

BarefootApp
November 1st, 2009, 03:15 PM
Congrats to the Spiders and good for FCS. App St. rule was a long time coming and way overdue.

SpeedkingATL
November 1st, 2009, 05:15 PM
Very well deserved! Congrats on the recognition.xthumbsupx

nwFL Griz
November 1st, 2009, 05:59 PM
Ray Ratto - SF Chronicle, see his poll here:

AP Poll (http://pollspeak.com/pollstalker/pollstalker.php?s=9&p=18&t1=246&t2=0&v=53&w=10&r=V)

MaximumBobcat
November 1st, 2009, 06:12 PM
I'm going to get flamed, but oh well.

No way do I think Richmond is the 25th best college football team (regardless of division or subdivision) in the nation. #24 OU would probably win by 40+ points if they went all out the whole game and didn't pull any starters.

With that said, this is really cool for FCS and for UR.

Congrats Spiders!

93henfan
November 1st, 2009, 06:19 PM
If Idaho, Temple, and Central Michigan received votes in the AP Poll, why shouldn't Richmond?

MaximumBobcat
November 1st, 2009, 06:29 PM
If Idaho, Temple, and Central Michigan received votes in the AP Poll, why shouldn't Richmond?

3 wrongs don't make a right. xnodx

Eight Legger
November 1st, 2009, 08:17 PM
I wouldn't expect us to beat Oklahoma either, but I doubt we'd lose by 40, and I think we could more than compete with some of those other teams getting votes.

Temple and Duke have had pretty solid seasons after losing to Villanova and UR, so I would say people need to realize that the FCS is no joke.

SoDakState
November 1st, 2009, 08:47 PM

NDSU also recieved a vote the year they beat the Gophers..

Squealofthepig
November 1st, 2009, 08:53 PM
I'd still take Richmond again over Duke, which also quixotically received votes this week.

Still though, nice to see Richmond getting some recognition. We gotta be careful - last thing we want (from a pure FCS fan point of view) is for a top FCS team to get an offer for a lot of cash to play in a bowl against a mediocre #6 SEC or Big Ten team instead of going to the playoffs.

seattlespider
November 1st, 2009, 08:57 PM
I'd still take Richmond again over Duke, which also quixotically received votes this week.

Still though, nice to see Richmond getting some recognition. We gotta be careful - last thing we want (from a pure FCS fan point of view) is for a top FCS team to get an offer for a lot of cash to play in a bowl against a mediocre #6 SEC or Big Ten team instead of going to the playoffs.

That would be an interesting dilemma, for sure. I'm quite happy to play in the tourney with a chance to win national titles myself. And Richmond already gets paid to beat Duke every few years; one payday is fine with me. xsmiley_wix

Eight Legger
November 1st, 2009, 09:16 PM
Are FCS teams eligible for bowl games? I've never heard this discussed, as it's never been and still isn't a feasible possibility, but I'm just curious. I assume it would be allowed, since we're Division I too, unless the rules of bowls specifically limit participants to FBS teams.

To be honest, at least this year, an FCS team could still go through the playoffs and have time to play in a bowl game after the playoffs end. Next year that wouldn't be possible anymore for the best FCS teams, given the schedule change of the title game.

soccerguy315
November 1st, 2009, 09:16 PM

thanks, now I can rationalize reading AGS to help my GRE vocabulary. Who needs the princeton review vocab book when you can read AGS? xthumbsupx

Ud1Hens
November 1st, 2009, 10:04 PM

Philly area writers don't care about VU football. Only Bball

LacesOut
November 1st, 2009, 10:16 PM
No way do I think Richmond is the 25th best college football team (regardless of division or subdivision) in the nation. #24 OU would probably win by 40+ points if they went all out the whole game and didn't pull any starters.

This.

Holy hell what a stupid vote/poll whatever.

yosef1969
November 1st, 2009, 10:41 PM
Are FCS teams eligible for bowl games? I've never heard this discussed, as it's never been and still isn't a feasible possibility, but I'm just curious. I assume it would be allowed, since we're Division I too, unless the rules of bowls specifically limit participants to FBS teams.

To be honest, at least this year, an FCS team could still go through the playoffs and have time to play in a bowl game after the playoffs end. Next year that wouldn't be possible anymore for the best FCS teams, given the schedule change of the title game.

I could be wrong but I think teams can only choose to participate in one post season event. For example if a NEC or PFL team were to accept a playoff bid they would not be allowed to play in the post season games like the GridIron Classic.

Don't know if an FCS team could get an invite to a bowl game or not for sure but I don't think so. By electing not to participate in the Football Bowl Subdivision I would think a program forfeits any opportunity to participate in a bowl game, not that an FCS would ever be offered a lot of money to play in a bowl game anyway.

MaximumBobcat
November 1st, 2009, 10:43 PM
To play in a bowl game you have to have 6 FBS wins. No FCS team will ever have 6 FBS wins.

Therego, No FCS team will EVAR!!! be in a bowl.

MaximumBobcat
November 1st, 2009, 10:45 PM
6 DI wins necessary for a bowl game. DI-FCS games can only count for 1 of the 6 games. So you gotta schedule 5 FBS games if you want a shot at a bowl.

Good luck... xlolx

yosef1969
November 1st, 2009, 10:55 PM
6 DI wins necessary for a bowl game. DI-FCS games can only count for 1 of the 6 games. So you gotta schedule 5 FBS games if you want a shot at a bowl.

Good luck... xlolx

Good point, that'd pretty much take care of that problem.

ValleyChamp
November 1st, 2009, 11:17 PM

Good luck... xlolx

If you scheduled that many FBS games, you'd have enough money to host your own bowl.

T-Dog
November 1st, 2009, 11:28 PM

But 3 rights makes a left. xrulesx

Those San Franciscans are weird. But hey, a vote's a vote.

MaximumBobcat
November 1st, 2009, 11:33 PM
But 3 rights makes a left. xrulesx

Those San Franciscans are weird. But hey, a vote's a vote.

Yeah, I think it's cool and everything.

But if that guy actually thinks UR is the 25th strongest college football team in the nation he deserves to have his vote removed.

I feel like an FBS fan saying that.

I gotta go take a shower.

seattlespider
November 2nd, 2009, 12:28 AM

Good luck... xlolx

xoopsx

Way to put a wet blanket on our delusions of greatness. xnonox And I was so looking forward to an Orange Bowl invite.

Touchdown Yosef
November 2nd, 2009, 07:09 AM
That is great and I am glad for the recognition for Richmond.

seattlespider
November 2nd, 2009, 06:05 PM
Coach London appears on (local) NBC to talk about the AP vote, Nova game, community support and being a sought-after coach.

http://www.nbc12.com/global/story.asp?s=11428748

AppStsGr8
November 2nd, 2009, 06:10 PM

But three lefts do. xwhistlex

Congrats, Spiders! Keep up the good work.

Rekdiver
November 2nd, 2009, 06:12 PM
UR deserves it. I really like the way they play............

AppAlum2003
November 2nd, 2009, 06:15 PM
Congrats, web-crawlers. I hope ASU gets to see you in Chattanooga in Dec. (Note, Elon fans: I am not PREDICTING, just hoping)

URMite
November 2nd, 2009, 11:18 PM
xoopsx

Way to put a wet blanket on our delusions of greatness. xnonox And I was so looking forward to an Orange Bowl invite.

Wrong citrus fruit...a couple of Tangerines...if memory serves xlolx

Tribe4SF
November 3rd, 2009, 04:23 AM
David Teel, of the Daily Press, pinned down Ray Ratto of the San Francisco Chronicle to extract his reasoning for the UR top 25 vote. Ratto rarely disappoints.

http://weblogs.dailypress.com/sports/teelblog/2009/11/explaining_richmonds_poll_vote.html

spdram
November 3rd, 2009, 08:49 AM
He was also interviewed on a local sports talk show yesterday evening and the guy has a great sense of humor. Having said that it was clear he put alot of thought into his vote and could support his decision.

bullseye44
November 3rd, 2009, 11:49 AM
Ironic that Temple also got 1 vote this week, given that they lost to Villanova. Makes you wonder if a 'Nova win this week would earn them a vote?

appmaj
November 3rd, 2009, 12:08 PM
NDSU also recieved a vote the year they beat the Gophers..

Is that true? Story says only 3 FCS teams have ever had votes...

http://weblogs.dailypress.com/sports/teelblog/2009/11/explaining_richmonds_poll_vote.html

The AP made FCS teams eligible for its poll in 2007 after Appalachian State's victory at Michigan, and the Mountaineers, Northern Iowa and Richmond are the only FCS teams to receive votes since.

seahawkfan2007
November 3rd, 2009, 07:27 PM
Great to see and well deserved! Rumor has it Wagner will be traveling to Richmond in 2011.

El Gato
November 3rd, 2009, 07:43 PM
If you scheduled that many FBS games, you'd have enough money to host your own bowl.

lol...good point.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 3rd, 2009, 08:38 PM
Like I thought.. all the mod's here have hidden agenda's and make up infractions against members whom they don't like. You're all a bunch of f u c king cowards. All you're doing is causing everyone to go over to CHAMPIONSHIPSUBDIVISION.COM and never come back to this pathetic site. It is truly amazing that so many immature cowards subjectively moderate this place without any accountability or repercussions for their actions. Go **** yourselves **** stains!!!

seattlespider
November 4th, 2009, 12:40 PM
A little more background from the Richmond Times-Dispatch:

Ray Ratto of the San Francisco Chronicle put the 8-0 Spiders of the Football Championship Subdivision at No. 25 on his ballot, assuring them a spot in the "others receiving votes" category. Florida is No. 1, and UR is among 14 "others receiving votes." Ratto ranked Richmond behind Oklahoma, his No. 24.

Ratto, a poll voter for several years and a sports journalist for three decades, said UR's 17-game winning streak and its season-opening victory over Duke (5-3) influenced his decision to include the Spiders.

Also, "I got tired of pulling my eyes out late every Saturday night about the last five spots of the poll," Ratto said. "After I put Virginia Tech and Oklahoma in despite their three losses -- which was making my teeth grind -- I realized I was going to have to break ground somewhere.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/college/college_football/article/URPL03_20091102-220604/303268/

The Moody1
November 4th, 2009, 02:46 PM
App St. rule?

http://video.filestube.com/video,c2f2b67a3524afd303ea.html

aceinthehole
November 4th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Great to see and well deserved! Rumor has it Wagner will be traveling to Richmond in 2011.

Great to hear! xthumbsupx

GeauxColonels
November 4th, 2009, 03:53 PM

Congrats Spiders!
And I would argue that Oklahoma isn't the 24th best team in the country...that's way too low. But the team has lost 3 games due to some injury issues.

MacThor
November 4th, 2009, 04:20 PM

Congrats Spiders!

Like Michigan did in '07?

oh, wait....

Also, it's not about how Richmond would do against the teams above it -- it's how they'd do against the ORV.

I actually think UR would give VT a game in a battle for state supremacy.