PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Prediction Thread - Week 10

carney2
October 31st, 2009, 08:28 PM
Patriot League Game of the Year, Part 2.

Saturday, Nov. 7

HOLY CROSS @ LEHIGH
GEORGETOWN @ Marist
BUCKNELL @ FORDHAM
COLGATE @ LAFAYETTE

One OOC game in week 9, a loss, so the 2009 W-L totals move to 18-15.

vs. Big South: 1-1
vs. CAA: 1-2
vs. Independents: 1-1
vs. Ivy League: 10-8
vs. MEAC: 0-1
vs. NEC: 4-2
vs. Pioneer: 1-0

Standings after week 9:

Holy Cross 3-0 PL, 7-1 Total
Lafayette 3-0, 7-1
Colgate 3-1, 8-1
Lehigh 2-1, 2-6
Bucknell 1-2, 3-5
Fordham 0-3, 3-5
Georgetown 0-5, 0-8

RichH2
October 31st, 2009, 08:42 PM
Ok , I'll go first

HC in a rout over LU

GU squeaks by marist

FU has a field day with BU defense

Pards close over Gate if Pards can double Simonds if Tavani doesn't then Gate by a point or 2

Pard94
November 1st, 2009, 06:03 AM
Patriot League Game of the Year, Part 2.

Saturday, Nov. 7

HOLY CROSS @ LEHIGH
GEORGETOWN @ Marist
BUCKNELL @ FORDHAM
COLGATE @ LAFAYETTE

One OOC game in week 9, a loss, so the 2009 W-L totals move to 18-15.

vs. Big South: 1-1
vs. CAA: 1-2
vs. Independents: 1-1
vs. Ivy League: 10-8
vs. MEAC: 0-1
vs. NEC: 4-2
vs. Pioneer: 1-0

Standings after week 9:

Holy Cross 3-0 PL, 7-1 Total
Lafayette 3-0, 7-1
Colgate 3-1, 8-1
Lehigh 2-1, 2-6
Bucknell 1-2, 3-5
Fordham 0-3, 3-5
Georgetown 0-5, 0-8

Holy Cross beats Lehigh 48-12 Lehigh must comes to grips that HC might be the best team to come out of the league in 2 decades

Georgetown beats Marist 7-6 I have no idea of Georgetown can beat Marist but I'm rooting for the blind squirrell to find its nut.

Fordham beats Bucknell 21-10 Bucknell isn't as bad as they seem and Fordham isn't as good.

Lafayette beats Colgate 32-17 I lije this match up. I'll bet Biddle dares Curley to beat. I'll bet Curley does.

carney2
November 1st, 2009, 09:38 AM
HOLY CROSS @ LEHIGH
Holy Cross The Squawks’ “mathematical chance” dream follows all of their other 2009 football dreams into the dumpster. Relying on your defense is great until you face a team that you may be able to slow down, but that you eventually have to simply outscore. The mood at Goodman will match the dung brown of the home team jerseys.

GEORGETOWN @ Marist
Marist It really goes against everything I believe in to pick the Foxes against any Patriot League team. The Hoyas however, are in the process of setting a new high in low.

BUCKNELL @ FORDHAM
Fordham The Rams get off the Patriot League schneid by joining everyone in thumping a hapless herd that has a few good players but a really bad team.

COLGATE @ LAFAYETTE
Lafayette The Pards seem to be on a mission and have thus far proven immune to The Curse. After 9 games and sporting a gaudy record, the Raiders have not shaken the suspicion that they are overrated. Should be exciting and close. Here’s hoping that Pat Simonds misses the bus. Here's also hoping that this one is not played in an empty stadium. Both teams deserve better.

ngineer
November 1st, 2009, 11:32 AM
Will be interesting to see in what mental state Lehigh shows up in after 'another close loss' to Colgate. Two years ago Randolph lit up the Goodman scoreboard so bad that AD Sterrett came down onto the field to see wtf was going on, on the sideline. Another repeat of that, and we can close the books on the Coen era. OTOH, if DC Kultowski comes up with a plan to 'contain' Randolph and the secondary returns to it's pre-Colgate form, we can hope for 'close game' and pray for a couple point-producing turnovers. But predictions are not based on hope, so I see the Crusaders tuning up "Auld Lang Syne", 38-17.
I agree that Georgetown has to find a whey, even if its curds. Hoyas outfox Marist, by a 13-10 blowout.
Bucknell has a chance only if Red Skelton shows up at QB. The real Skelton will be looking to 'gaudy-up' his numbers from last week. If Clark and Curley each dropped 300+games on the Bucknell secondary, this should be downright scary. The few Bucknell faithful in the stands will say 'ewe', as the Rams light it up, 45-14.
Fisher Field should be the place to be and how this turns out will come down to some trickery. A close, hard hitting game should occur and, usually, the Tavani Corps hits a skid patch somewhere along the line. Could this be the week? Curley has shown he has 'mo' than we thought. So unless he gets the flu and 'larry'ngitis, I see him giving the Raiders secondary fits. Clark had open receivers last week and failed to hit, either by not seeing them, or lousy throws. However, you never, ever count out a Biddle team. They seem to find a way and McCord appears to be everything Eachus was. I agree that Lafayette has to 'simondize' it's defense. No one back, at this level, can take him out of the game. I go with the old "3 pts for the home field advantage" on this one, and pick the pards, 24-21.

HoyaMetanoia
November 1st, 2009, 11:32 AM
If we lose this week, you can book the 0-11 bowl tickets.

DFW HOYA
November 1st, 2009, 02:02 PM
Georgetown had all of 39 yards total offense at halftime of the ODU game, down 31-3, and prevented two more scores with defensive stops. And GU could have yet another change at QB for the Marist game. Caveat emptor.

Bogus Megapardus
November 1st, 2009, 02:13 PM
Georgetown had all of 39 yards total offense at halftime of the ODU game, down 31-3, and prevented two more scores with defensive stops. And GU could have yet another change at QB for the Marist game. Caveat emptor.

Emptor, schmemptor. Just get a win, guys.

Sader87
November 1st, 2009, 02:26 PM
Holy Cross beats Lehigh 48-12 Lehigh must comes to grips that HC might be the best team to come out of the league in 2 decades

Setting us up Pard94?

Best team to ever come out of the Colonial/Patriot League was HC in '87.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/patriot/holy_cross/yearly_results.php?year=1985

DFW HOYA
November 1st, 2009, 03:03 PM

Since 1987? No, that was Colgate 2003.

Sader87
November 1st, 2009, 04:09 PM
HC in '87 would have CRUSHED Colgate '03. Team was very, very strong...a decent Army team was down to HC 27-3 at half and 34-10 very late, the final score (34-24) is deceiving.. No other team (UMass, William&Mary etc) came within 4 TD's of HC that year.

Sadly, they weren't allowed to go the play-offs then but ended the year #1 in most polls.

Remise
November 1st, 2009, 04:11 PM
HC in '87 would have CRUSHED Colgate '03. Team was very, very strong...a decent Army team was down to HC 27-3 at half and 34-10 very late, the final score (34-24) is deceiving.. No other team (UMass, William&Mary etc) came within 4 TD's of HC that year.

Sadly, they weren't allowed to go the play-offs then but ended the year #1 in most polls.

Considering that in 1987 most of the Colgate players would have been about six years old, I am inclined to agree with you. Plus -- Napoleon would have defeated Julius Caesar for sure!

Sader87
November 1st, 2009, 04:19 PM
Comparing eras is difficult obviously...but no team out of the Colonial/Patriot League has been near the caliber of that 1987 HC team (which was a scholarship team granted).

colorless raider
November 1st, 2009, 04:57 PM

We will never know but I will take our 15-1 record any day.

Sader87
November 1st, 2009, 05:50 PM
We will never know but I will take our 15-1 record any day.

I'll take our 11-0 thank you.

letsgopards04
November 1st, 2009, 05:54 PM
HOLY CROSS @ LEHIGH
GEORGETOWN @ Marist
BUCKNELL @ FORDHAM
COLGATE @ LAFAYETTE

RichH2
November 1st, 2009, 05:56 PM
Either one and probably a couple more over the last 20 years are better than any team this year. No disrespect to any of the top teams this year. Lets hope they are good enuf to do some damage in the playoffs.

Sader87
November 1st, 2009, 06:10 PM
The PL is very weak these days, have to agree with RichH2 on that one. Answer is scholarships obviously. HC offense is very strong but the D is average at best....I think where we miss the athleticism that scholarships would provide (for all PL members) is especially seen (or not seen as it were) on defense.

Picks:

GTown 13 Marist 7 Hoyas get off the schnide.
Fordham 35 Bucknell 17 Too much Skeltons.
Lafayette 27 Colgate 24 Home cookin' the difference.
HC 31 Lehigh 17 Too much offense for the Engineers.

Ivytalk
November 1st, 2009, 06:15 PM
Will be interesting to see in what mental state Lehigh shows up in after 'another close loss' to Colgate. Two years ago Randolph lit up the Goodman scoreboard so bad that AD Sterrett came down onto the field to see wtf was going on, on the sideline. Another repeat of that, and we can close the books on the Coen era. OTOH, if DC Kultowski comes up with a plan to 'contain' Randolph and the secondary returns to it's pre-Colgate form, we can hope for 'close game' and pray for a couple point-producing turnovers. But predictions are not based on hope, so I see the Crusaders tuning up "Auld Lang Syne", 38-17.
I agree that Georgetown has to find a whey, even if its curds. Hoyas outfox Marist, by a 13-10 blowout.
Bucknell has a chance only if Red Skelton shows up at QB. The real Skelton will be looking to 'gaudy-up' his numbers from last week. If Clark and Curley each dropped 300+games on the Bucknell secondary, this should be downright scary. The few Bucknell faithful in the stands will say 'ewe', as the Rams light it up, 45-14.
Fisher Field should be the place to be and how this turns out will come down to some trickery. A close, hard hitting game should occur and, usually, the Tavani Corps hits a skid patch somewhere along the line. Could this be the week? Curley has shown he has 'mo' than we thought. So unless he gets the flu and 'larry'ngitis, I see him giving the Raiders secondary fits. Clark had open receivers last week and failed to hit, either by not seeing them, or lousy throws. However, you never, ever count out a Biddle team. They seem to find a way and McCord appears to be everything Eachus was. I agree that Lafayette has to 'simondize' it's defense. No one back, at this level, can take him out of the game. I go with the old "3 pts for the home field advantage" on this one, and pick the pards, 24-21.

Good picks!xthumbsupx

colorless raider
November 1st, 2009, 06:17 PM

Short season.

Sader87
November 1st, 2009, 06:26 PM
Short season.

Had to study for final exams...the PL way. xreadx

Pard4Life
November 2nd, 2009, 10:13 AM
Holy Cross 38, Lehigh 10... let's see how creative wfmz can be with shading this game...

Fordham 45, Bucknell 21... Don't blink.. you'll miss a Skelton TD

Marist 21, Gtown 14... Hoyas lose to an expansion team after challenging Gate? I don't get it...

Colgate 28, Lafayette 21... sigh... Logic says Colgate on the schedule and the Phillies blowing it equals a bad week... Colgate will run the same 6-7 plays, the same from last year. Despite that, we will look clueless to stop anything, especially QB delays, passes in the middle of the field, and sideline throws, as our secondary gives to much cushion. Plus Pards have shown some questionable line play the past few weeks and lucky penalties. The agravating thing is Colgate just isn't that good, but they always find a way to win games, especially against the "somehow we always shoot ourselves in the foot" Lafayette football.

CFBfan
November 2nd, 2009, 10:22 AM
Holy Cross 38, Lehigh 10... let's see how creative wfmz can be with shading this game...

Fordham 45, Bucknell 21... Don't blink.. you'll miss a Skelton TD

Marist 21, Gtown 14... Hoyas lose to an expansion team after challenging Gate? I don't get it...

Colgate 28, Lafayette 21... sigh... Logic says Colgate on the schedule and the Phillies blowing it equals a bad week... Colgate will run the same 6-7 plays, the same from last year. Despite that, we will look clueless to stop anything, especially QB delays, passes in the middle of the field, and sideline throws, as our secondary gives to much cushion. Plus Pards have shown some questionable line play the past few weeks and lucky penalties. The agravating thing is Colgate just isn't that good, but they always find a way to win games, especially against the "somehow we always shoot ourselves in the foot" Lafayette football.

what started out as "less then good" coaching early in the season for Gtown and steadily declined week by week has deteriorated into horrible coaching at this point in every aspect of the game including the very important mental aspect. I could go on for pages but will leave it at that.....for now

Doc QB
November 2nd, 2009, 12:06 PM
HC in '87 would have CRUSHED Colgate '03. Team was very, very strong...a decent Army team was down to HC 27-3 at half and 34-10 very late, the final score (34-24) is deceiving.. No other team (UMass, William&Mary etc) came within 4 TD's of HC that year. Sadly, they weren't allowed to go the play-offs then but ended the year #1 in most polls.

Duffner was something like 66-5 during his time at HC...with those wonderful full scholarships. Any argument regarding better national competitiveness and quality students begins and ends with the 'Saders run during that time, it was awesome. Going on my recruiting trip there in 1990, (after their 1989 campaign) it was so impressive...why I went to LU where my dad was a football alum, I'll never understand.

Holy Cross wins big.
Fordham wins big.
Marist wins big.
AND.....I think the Pards knock down the 'Gate.

TheValleyRaider
November 2nd, 2009, 01:15 PM
Holy Cross at Lehigh Holy Cross The Crusaders are just rolling right now. They took a potentially dangerous game against the Rams, and throttled them on the way to another victory. Lehigh is similarly a trap-type game, or at least, it could be if the Crusaders aren't paying attention. The Hawks have some talent to play with. But, after the way their secondary was handled this past week, I just don't see it happening

Georgetown at Marist Georgetown This is full-on Patriot League homerism. I have no basis for selecting the Hoyas to win, period, forget on the road against a team they've lost to in the past. Instead, I'll be relying on the Hoyas to have not given up while watching the season snowball in their faces

Bucknell at Fordham Fordham Oddly, the Bison have given Fordham lots of trouble in recent years. An otherwise non-descript Bucknell team was the only PL squad to beat the Rams back in 2007, and then they capped off Fordham's nightmarish sequel with another victory. I'll take Skelton and the Rams to gain a small sliver of revenge, mostly because Bucknell looks as bad as ever

Colgate at Lafayette Colgate Ahh, this game. In the preseason, I thought this was a game we might drop, and that was before thinking/seeing how tough Lafayette was going to be this year. The Leopards have been throwing off curses left and right this season, and have to be as confident as ever coming into this one. Just like they were last year. And the year before. And, etc. Colgate can still run the ball with the best of them, and our defense has generallys done a good job of holding back the Pard offense. At some point, if you keep winning games, are you really "not that good"?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 2nd, 2009, 01:29 PM

I was going to use this to try to solve this dilemna:

http://nationalsportsrankings.com/joomla//index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

But then I found out they're missing FCS teams from 2003!!!! xmadx

Here's something fun I'd like to try. Let's think of the Top 16 teams in Patriot League history. Then I'll see using this site who would win.

Top teams in PL History

HC 1987, 2007
Colgate 1999, 2002, 2003
Lehigh 1998, 1999, 2001
Lafayette 1988, 1992, 2004, 2005
Fordham 2003, 2004, 2007

Any I'm missing? Any additions/deletions?

Pard4Life
November 2nd, 2009, 01:33 PM
Add Fordham 2002 and delete 04. Delete HC 07. Add Bucknell 96.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 2nd, 2009, 01:36 PM
Add Fordham 2002 and delete 04. Delete HC 07. Add Bucknell 96.

Bucknell 96 is a must. Tossed in HC 07 since they had that great showdown with Fordham for the league title that year. They may be the 17th team...

Agreed on Fordham 2002, that was a typo I'm sure.

Pard4Life
November 2nd, 2009, 01:40 PM
Holy Cross at Lehigh Holy Cross The Crusaders are just rolling right now. They took a potentially dangerous game against the Rams, and throttled them on the way to another victory. Lehigh is similarly a trap-type game, or at least, it could be if the Crusaders aren't paying attention. The Hawks have some talent to play with. But, after the way their secondary was handled this past week, I just don't see it happening

Georgetown at Marist Georgetown This is full-on Patriot League homerism. I have no basis for selecting the Hoyas to win, period, forget on the road against a team they've lost to in the past. Instead, I'll be relying on the Hoyas to have not given up while watching the season snowball in their faces

Bucknell at Fordham Fordham Oddly, the Bison have given Fordham lots of trouble in recent years. An otherwise non-descript Bucknell team was the only PL squad to beat the Rams back in 2007, and then they capped off Fordham's nightmarish sequel with another victory. I'll take Skelton and the Rams to gain a small sliver of revenge, mostly because Bucknell looks as bad as ever

Colgate at Lafayette Colgate Ahh, this game. In the preseason, I thought this was a game we might drop, and that was before thinking/seeing how tough Lafayette was going to be this year. The Leopards have been throwing off curses left and right this season, and have to be as confident as ever coming into this one. Just like they were last year. And the year before. And, etc. Colgate can still run the ball with the best of them, and our defense has generallys done a good job of holding back the Pard offense. At some point, if you keep winning games, are you really "not that good"?

To answer your question; yes, if you are named San Diego, Butler, or a team that plays Colgate's 2009 schedule... Which in this case happens to be Colgate.

jimbo65
November 2nd, 2009, 01:43 PM
Holy Cross

Fordham

Gtown, selecting Hoyas because I want them to get a victory. Their time is due.

Pards

As an aside, I wonder if the three Jesuit schools have ever all won on the same day in the history of the PL ? Not a mathematician (to say the least) but I believe the three winning is unlikely for a couple of reasons. Fordham & Gtown have had some poor seasons and often the schools are playing one another.

CrusaderBob
November 2nd, 2009, 01:43 PM
HC 1991 (11 - 0) - Duffner's last year and the last scholarship class were seniors - was a pretty good team too. I'd throw them in.

Gordon Shumway
November 2nd, 2009, 01:45 PM
I noticed the success Lafayette was having this year, and did a little perusing of their schedule and results to date. Granted they have some work left to do, but if they win out shouldn't they be the first team ever to be declared the Patriot and Ivy League champions in the same year? xlolx

Go...gate
November 2nd, 2009, 01:46 PM
I love 2003 Colgate, but I have to say that 1987 Holy Cross was the best PL team ever and possibly the best I-AA/FCS team ever.

Go...gate
HC 1991 (11 - 0) - Duffner's last year and the last scholarship class were seniors - was a pretty good team too. I'd throw them in.

43-42 win over Lehigh which was a hell of a great game....

Pard4Life
And as a follow-up, Colgate has exactly one win vs a team with a winning record, 5-4 Stony Brook. Only other team anywhere close to .500 is 4-4 Monmouth.

If we somehow beat Gate on Saturday, LFN can mark down Colgate 2009 as the worst best PL team ever.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 2nd, 2009, 01:52 PM
43-42 win over Lehigh which was a hell of a great game....

I was there, still a student at that time. Man, what an electrifying scene that was. There were something like six lead changes - the momentum shifts were unbelievable.

Pard94
November 2nd, 2009, 01:54 PM
And as a follow-up, Colgate has exactly one win vs a team with a winning record, 5-4 Stony Brook. Only other team anywhere close to .500 is 4-4 Monmouth.

If we somehow beat Gate on Saturday, LFN can mark down Colgate 2009 as the worst best PL team ever.

Pard4Life comes storming out of the neutral corner with a round house punch to Colgate. Wow...I'm impressed. xlolx

TheValleyRaider
November 2nd, 2009, 02:14 PM
To answer your question; yes, if you are named San Diego, Butler, or a team that plays Colgate's 2009 schedule... Which in this case happens to be Colgate.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

San Diego? Butler??

Seriously? This counts as valid comparison? Every team on our schedule is fully Division I, two of them with scholarships. No D-IIs, no NAIA, nothing of the sort. The fact that people are making this comparison would be sad if it weren't so dopey xrulesx

Keep hanging your hat on (finally) beating up a down Ivy League and losing at home to Liberty. I'm supposed to be impressed with Yale and Columbia? Or even Penn and Harvard? xeyebrowx

I'd rather be the "worst best" than the "best runner-up," but I guess standards are different in other corners of the League xreadx

Lehigh Football Nation
November 2nd, 2009, 02:32 PM
My final list:

HC 1987, 1989, 1991
Colgate 1999, 2002, 2003
Lehigh 1998, 1999, 2001, 2004
Fordham 2002, 2007

2003 could have been the best year ever for the Patriot League. Colgate almost won the national title, Lehigh was woofed at 8-3, and while Dave Clawson's Fordham had two D-II opponents they went 8-3 and played some great games against Lehigh and Colgate. Unfortunately, Lehigh '03 and Fordham '03 didn't make my cut.

If I had a 20 team bracket available, Bucknell '96, Lehigh '03, HC '90 and Fordham '03 would have been the next four teams, in that order.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 2nd, 2009, 02:34 PM
Keep hanging your hat on (finally) beating up a down Ivy League and losing at home to Liberty. I'm supposed to be impressed with Yale and Columbia? Or even Penn and Harvard? xeyebrowx

Yale and Columbia, not impressive. But those Penn and Harvard wins - either of whom will probably be the Ivy Champions - are looking more and more impressive by the day.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 2nd, 2009, 03:52 PM
My final list:

HC 1987, 1989, 1991
Colgate 1999, 2002, 2003
Lehigh 1998, 1999, 2001, 2004
Fordham 2002, 2007

2003 could have been the best year ever for the Patriot League. Colgate almost won the national title, Lehigh was woofed at 8-3, and while Dave Clawson's Fordham had two D-II opponents they went 8-3 and played some great games against Lehigh and Colgate. Unfortunately, Lehigh '03 and Fordham '03 didn't make my cut.

If I had a 20 team bracket available, Bucknell '96, Lehigh '03, HC '90 and Fordham '03 would have been the next four teams, in that order.

Lehigh's 1991 team deserves to be in over '04 imo. They had wins over Uconn, William and Mary and a very good Jay Fiedler led Dartmouth team. They lost two games by a combined 2 points including the epic 43-42 loss to HC who i believe finished ranked #4. Outside of the HC teams that might have been the best PL team pre-playoffs.

Lehigh's '99 team hit the skids at the end of the year. They peaked in October and sleep walked through the rest of the year. Not sure what happened to them. I would put the '00 above them. They crushed WIU in the first round then ran in to an outstanding Delaware team that almost took out AP and GSU that year. They also went down to SC and beat up on a 7-4 Wofford team. They only gave up 20+ points once, 21 against Towson.

When you go back and look at Lehigh's run from '98-'01 it's amazing. They were killing teams in a similar way that HC was during their run. Not saying those Lehigh teams were as good but a lot of the scores were blood baths.

Sader87
November 2nd, 2009, 04:46 PM
HC '86 (1st year of the CL/PL) was stronger than HC '89 or '91 ....beat an Army team that beat Tennessee a week earlier and only lost to a bowl-bound BC.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/patriot/holy_cross/yearly_results.php?year=1985

Go...gate
November 2nd, 2009, 05:13 PM

The PL was a powerful league in 1987. Colgate finished 7-4 that season, good enough for third (2-2) in the conference, with two of the losses to I-A clubs Syracuse (which finished 11-0-1 and #2 in the I-A poll) and Duke in its first year under Steve Spurrier. Colgate lost 7-6 to Lehigh (second in the PL at 3-1-1) and 49-7 to Holy Cross. Along the way, Colgate beat Army, dusted off William & Mary and Cornell, murdered Princeton and Boston University, and won a close one in the rain against Bucknell. The NY Times had I-AA poll in those days and Colgate was, AIR, #9 in the final poll, with HC at #1.

colorless raider
November 2nd, 2009, 05:43 PM
The PL was a powerful league in 1987. Colgate finished 7-4 that season, good enough for third (2-2) in the conference, with two of the losses to I-A clubs Syracuse (which finished 11-0-1 and #2 in the I-A poll) and Duke in its first year under Steve Spurrier. It lost 7-6 to Lehigh (second in the PL at 3-1-1) and 49-7 to Holy Cross. Along the way, Colgate beat Army, dusted off William & Mary, and Cornell, murdered Princeton and Boston University, and won a close one in the rain against Bucknell. The NY Times had I-AA poll in those days and Colgate was, AIR, #9 in the final poll, with HC at #1.

Good post!

Sader87
November 2nd, 2009, 05:50 PM
The Colgate 1987 sked is easily the best (strongest/hardest) non-conference schedule in Patriot League history.

Go...gate
November 2nd, 2009, 05:58 PM
I also don't think Lafayette gives enough love to its 1988 8-2-1 PL championship team which beat HC during its wonderful run, broke a 21 year non-winning streak to Colgate, losing only narrowly to Sun Bowl-bound Army and I can't recall the other team, and beating Lehigh in a wild game at Fisher Field. Though not as strong as HC 1987, that 'Pard team rated pretty high in the polls, too.

Bogus Megapardus
November 2nd, 2009, 06:15 PM
I also don't think Lafayette gives enough love to its 1988 8-2-1 PL championship team which beat HC during its wonderful run, broke a 21 year non-winning streak to Colgate, losing narrowly to Sun Bowl-bound Army and I can't recall the other team, and beating Lehigh in a wild game at Fisher Field. Though not as strong as HC 1987, that 'Pard team rated pretty high in the polls, too.

I was at that game. A beautiful day, if I remember correctly. Let me tell you, the Pards gave Army all they could handle. It went right down to the wire.

Sader87
November 2nd, 2009, 08:27 PM
I also don't think Lafayette gives enough love to its 1988 8-2-1 PL championship team which beat HC during its wonderful run, broke a 21 year non-winning streak to Colgate, losing only narrowly to Sun Bowl-bound Army and I can't recall the other team, and beating Lehigh in a wild game at Fisher Field. Though not as strong as HC 1987, that 'Pard team rated pretty high in the polls, too.

Pards lost to co-Ivy champs Penn and tied the other co-Ivy champ Cornell...agreed a very solid squad.

Lafayette also gave Army (who was very solid in that era) 4 tough games from '86-'89.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/patriot/lafayette/yearly_results.php?year=1985

Go...gate
November 2nd, 2009, 08:54 PM
It is easy to forget that the PL was among the most feared I-AA conferences in its early years.

RichH2
November 2nd, 2009, 09:16 PM
Yup, and not bad this year but not for much longer

Neighbor2
November 2nd, 2009, 10:48 PM
Listen guys. . .

the Patriot League exists now on past laurels. My own Lehigh is in shambles. Everyone else might cobble together a winning record, yet still represent a mere "pretend" threat for a national championship.

Until the Patriot League makes its mind up about what it wants to be, it will wallow where it is. now.

carney2
November 2nd, 2009, 11:55 PM
Yup, and not bad this year but not for much longer

and what does that mean?!!

TheValleyRaider
November 3rd, 2009, 12:13 AM
Listen guys. . .

the Patriot League exists now on past laurels. My own Lehigh is in shambles. Everyone else might cobble together a winning record, yet still represent a mere "pretend" threat for a national championship.

Until the Patriot League makes its mind up about what it wants to be, it will wallow where it is. now.

You mean like how HC, Colgate and Lafayette all have at least 7 wins already? xeyebrowx

RichH2
November 3rd, 2009, 08:15 AM
Carney,

My cryptic comment merely points to my Opinion that PL will hover over the next few years at not quite a competitive level in national FCS. Gate , LC should continue to have very good teams best in PL . The rest of us not so much. That the top of PL can beat up the Ivies , while enjoyable, does not establish that PL is competitive nationally. PL has had a lot of real good national teams over the last 20 years. This year we could even have 3 teams in the top 25 over the next few weeks, which is rare for PL. I hope that we can win at least a first round game and avoid an embarrassing loss like last year.
When can we look forward to one of our teams having a good possibility of getting into the 2nd round and on? If we can get 2 teams in this year, good shot for at least a win. Next year?

DFW HOYA
November 3rd, 2009, 08:25 AM
Carney,

PL has had a lot of real good national teams over the last 20 years. This year we could even have 3 teams in the top 25 over the next few weeks, which is rare for PL.

Those three teams have also picked up comfortable wins against two of the bottom 10 teams in the division: Bucknell (236th of 245 teams in the Sagarin ratings) and Georgetown (241 of 245).

carney2
November 3rd, 2009, 09:22 AM
Carney,

My cryptic comment merely points to my Opinion that PL will hover over the next few years at not quite a competitive level in national FCS. Gate , LC should continue to have very good teams best in PL . The rest of us not so much. That the top of PL can beat up the Ivies , while enjoyable, does not establish that PL is competitive nationally. PL has had a lot of real good national teams over the last 20 years. This year we could even have 3 teams in the top 25 over the next few weeks, which is rare for PL. I hope that we can win at least a first round game and avoid an embarrassing loss like last year.
When can we look forward to one of our teams having a good possibility of getting into the 2nd round and on? If we can get 2 teams in this year, good shot for at least a win. Next year?

Thanks. That's not what I got from your brief comment.

Oh well, not trying to pick a fight or anything. Just looking for clarification. We will put on the gloves in exactly 12 days. Both of my middle fingers are warming up in anticipation of the big week.

carney2
November 3rd, 2009, 09:28 AM
Listen guys. . .

All true, but the implication that adding scholarships to the menu will move Patriot League teams into the national championship picture with the large state universities is absurd. Colgate's magic run in the blizzards on the tundra, notwithstanding, the small school, high academic standards Patriot League is not built to compete at that level. They may catch lightning in a bottle every now and again after scholarships are approved (and they will be - thanks, Fordham), but they will never be a true power on the national scene. Expectations to the contrary is mindless daydreaming.

carney2
November 3rd, 2009, 09:29 AM
Those three teams have also picked up comfortable wins against two of the bottom 10 teams in the division: Bucknell (236th of 245 teams in the Sagarin ratings) and Georgetown (241 of 245).

Everyone plays some lesser opponents along the way.

RichH2
November 3rd, 2009, 09:44 AM
The issue going forward is not whether the top three aren't good enough or as good as any team in the past, where will we be as a conference next year and following ? Scholarships will determine whether PL will be a separate viable conference able to stand on its own or return to being a convenient adjunct to the Ivy League.
Regardless of whether anyone feels slighted this year or not by that reality does not alter the fact that inaction will reduce us to an occasional and infrequent participant nationally.

I sincerely hope that we can have a better showing in the playoffs this year with perhaps 2 teams in. This is not a Lehigh issue and likely wont be for the foreseeable future. We'll see who the new coach will be but it will take more time now to rebuild the program. It is and should be an issue for all PL fans regardless of how you feel about Lehigh.

Just saw your last posts ,we agree that scholarships will not convert PL into a CAA level conference.However, the lack of scholarships will ,as I said before , make us a very infrequent national factor. Merit aid will I believe put us in a position to compete successfully with NEC , CAA etc. and occasionally our best will beat their best.

Bogus Megapardus
November 3rd, 2009, 09:51 AM
Pardsvillians: Has Colgate ever faced the Black Jerseys? I'm not sure if this is a good omen or not. Somebody please convince me that it will give us an edge - though I'm sure that if we can get 12,000 black-clad fannies to ride the maroon aluminum it will make a huge difference. Perhaps Vineyard Vines weaves a nice black argyle????

It's a shame that so few of us have our Houses to go to after the game, though. We used to call our supporters - literally from a pay phone - to remind them to come to games like the one coming up this weekend. The pledges would tidy up and make sure there was a roaring fire in the fireplace to enjoy. A nice personal touch that cannot be duplicated by the alumni office. Just being nostalgic here, I suppose.

Doc QB
November 3rd, 2009, 10:11 AM
HC 1991 (11 - 0) - Duffner's last year and the last scholarship class were seniors - was a pretty good team too. I'd throw them in

The 43-42 win over LU was the best game I have ever seen. Period. LFN was there, I was a frosh back-up QB to Kempa, held clipboard as the late Al Snyder (grad asst, former QB) said to Hank Small, "How 'bout the fumblrooski..." Those two teams would have help up nationally in the playoffs, had they been able to participate. Hell, LU POUNDED UConn up there, W&M at home, Dartmouth (not a laugher back then), N'eastern, Ivy champ UPenn...damn, we were tough.

All true, but the implication that adding scholarships to the menu will move Patriot League teams into the national championship picture with the large state universities is absurd.

Totally disagree. That 9-2, 1991 LU team may have been a need based aid aberration, as wasthe national runner-up Colgate team. But those HC teams had the athletes, and all could read and write to satisfy the admissions standards of the day, and went to school for free. The PL teams with more aggressive recruiting and full ticket rides in my mind can make those kind of teams the norm, and not a lucky aberration. The total package of that education, those stadiums, traditions, facilities, and to have it all for free? Sorry, but I think we would steal a reasonable number of bright kids from going to the Umass/UNH/Delaware/W&M state schools with which we would like to compete against better. Getting those kids would make us so much stonger.

Pard94
November 3rd, 2009, 10:16 AM
The 43-42 win over LU was the best game I have ever seen. Period. LFN was there, I was a frosh back-up QB to Kempa, held clipboard as the late Al Snyder (grad asst, former QB) said to Hank Small, "How 'bout the fumblrooski..." Those two teams would have help up nationally in the playoffs, had they been able to participate. Hell, LU POUNDED UConn up there, W&M at home, Dartmouth (not a laugher back then), N'eastern, Ivy champ UPenn...damn, we were tough.

Totally disagree. That 9-2, 1991 LU team may have been a need based aid aberration, as wasthe national runner-up Colgate team. But those HC teams had the athletes, and all could read and write to satisfy the admissions standards of the day, and went to school for free. The PL teams with more aggressive recruiting and full ticket rides in my mind can make those kind of teams the norm, and not a lucky aberration. The total package of that education, those stadiums, traditions, facilities, and to have it all for free? Sorry, but I think we would steal a reasonable number of bright kids from going to the Umass/UNH/Delaware/W&M state schools with which we would like to compete against better. Getting those kids would make us so much stonger.

It would appear we probably played against each other Doc. I played for the Leopards from 1990-94. Ahh the good old days.

Franks Tanks
November 3rd, 2009, 10:18 AM
All true, but the implication that adding scholarships to the menu will move Patriot League teams into the national championship picture with the large state universities is absurd. Colgate's magic run in the blizzards on the tundra, notwithstanding, the small school, high academic standards Patriot League is not built to compete at that level. They may catch lightning in a bottle every now and again after scholarships are approved (and they will be - thanks, Fordham), but they will never be a true power on the national scene. Expectations to the contrary is mindless daydreaming.

Richmond, Furman, and Wofford are competing at that level--if they can do it was can absoluetly do it as well.

The PL may not not be the next CAA with scholarships, but we will be much more competitive and PL teams will be true National Championship contendors.

Doc QB
November 3rd, 2009, 10:30 AM
It would appear we probably played against each other Doc. I played for the Leopards from 1990-94. Ahh the good old days.

1991-1993...got in line and backed up Kempa then Semptimphelter before ACL tear sent me out before my turn to run the show, but saw some time those years under center, although rare, and only against Lafayette in frosh/JV game under the lights at Metzgar in 1991, had bad ass concussion from that game, too. Bobby Alyesworth transfered in and he later lit it up, I was moved to DB. I played ball against Eric Marsh in HS too, remains a good friend when I get back to town.

Tavani had recruited in HS back then, and when I got hurt and QB situation at LU changed and got moved to DB, he offered the chance to bring me across the valley to play try and play DB for the Pards, (even if a friendly gesture) for one year after transfer. I think he felt bad how that turned out for me--he is a very, very classy gentleman in my opinion, to think about a LU guy. My dad, however, being a LU DB in the late 60s, would have stroked!

My inability to turn the page is legendary. Yes, the good old days, they were the best of times....(roll the credits, play the music, blah, blah, blah).

carney2
November 3rd, 2009, 10:30 AM
Pardsvillians: Has Colgate ever faced the Black Jerseys? I'm not sure if this is a good omen or not. Somebody please convince me that it will give us an edge - though I'm sure that if we can get 12,000 black-clad fannies to ride the maroon aluminum it will make a huge difference. Perhaps Vineyard Vines weaves a nice black argyle????

It's a shame that so few of us have our Houses to go to after the game, though. We used to call our supporters - literally from a pay phone - to remind them to come to games like the one coming up this weekend. The pledges would tidy up and make sure there was a roaring fire in the fireplace to enjoy. A nice personal touch that cannot be duplicated by the alumni office. Just being nostalgic here, I suppose.

Fans have been requested to dress in black for a "black out." Frank, on the other hand, has stated that there will be no uniform changes this year. Based on that, I do not expect to see the hideous black outfits on the field. Answering your question directly, I cannot imagine that at one time or another in the past 3 or 4 years, Colgate has not been subjected to the black football attire. They were used way too often for a while there.

As for attendance, I posted this on the Lafayette site and it seems appropriate here:

No rain in Saturday's forecast - YET. Will we actually have fannies in the seats for a change? Probably not. The students have zero interest and the typical alum is an olde farte who doesn't go out in the rain, won't drive at night and will not consider a football game where the temperature might dip below 70. He stays home and verifies that his cell phone speed dial is properly set for 1-800- CASKETS.

The lack of attendance for this team is, to some extent, understandable (rain, rain and more rain), but is still exasperating. Both of these teams deserve better on Saturday.

Franks Tanks
November 3rd, 2009, 10:37 AM
Fans have been requested to dress in black for a "black out." Frank, on the other hand, has stated that there will be no uniform changes this year. Based on that, I do not expect to see the hideous black outfits on the field. Answering your question directly, I cannot imagine that at one time or another in the past 3 or 4 years, Colgate has not been subjected to the black football attire. They were used way too often for a while there.

As for attendance, I posted this on the Lafayette site and it seems appropriate here:

No rain in Saturday's forecast - YET. Will we actually have fannies in the seats for a change? Probably not. The students have zero interest and the typical alum is an olde farte who doesn't go out in the rain, won't drive at night and will not consider a football game where the temperature might dip below 70. He stays home and verifies that his cell phone speed dial is properly set for 1-800- CASKETS.

The lack of attendance for this team is, to some extent, understandable (rain, rain and more rain), but is still exasperating. Both of these teams deserve better on Saturday.

Well maybe you should call your friends and encourage them to attend

carney2
November 3rd, 2009, 10:39 AM
Richmond, Furman, and Wofford are competing at that level--if they can do it was can absoluetly do it as well.

The PL may not not be the next CAA with scholarships, but we will be much more competitive and PL teams will be true National Championship contendors.

You might throw Elon and Villanova in there as well. These schools have a commitment that runs through the entire institution. A commitment that I don't see coming form any of the intellectual snobs running Patriot League institutions. The only hope as I see it is if Colgate and Lehigh can summon the ghosts of their recent past to inject some steel into the spines of these weenies, and then lead the rest of us out of the land of tea, crumpets and poetry readings.

carney2
November 3rd, 2009, 10:41 AM
Well maybe you should call your friends and encourage them to attend

My friends - both of them - don't take my calls anymore.

DFW HOYA
November 3rd, 2009, 10:50 AM

PL teams will not be championship contenders as long as it clings to the Ivy index.

I know I swim upstream on this one, but there are better ways to seek academic standards than borrow someone else's.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 3rd, 2009, 10:58 AM

I very much agree with this. Until last year, the theory was that private institutions had no chance to compete with the big state schools due to changing demographics/Title IX, public money, higher tuition, etc. Sure a Furman, Wofford or Elon might emerge, but they do things different in the SoCon, so the theory went.

With Richmond and Villanova being top teams last year and remaining as top teams this year, that theory has been blown out of the water. And they've done it with deep teams, too.

Would the AI prevent PL teams from being true national championship contenders? Hard to say, but my feeling is "no". It certainly hasn't affected Harvard, the perennial IL championship contender and the school theoretically most affected by their AI.

colorless raider
November 3rd, 2009, 11:01 AM

Franks Tanks and Doc qb are both exactly right.

Pard94
November 3rd, 2009, 11:03 AM
1991-1993...got in line and backed up Kempa then Semptimphelter before ACL tear sent me out before my turn to run the show, but saw some time those years under center, although rare, and only against Lafayette in frosh/JV game under the lights at Metzgar in 1991, had bad ass concussion from that game, too. Bobby Alyesworth transfered in and he later lit it up, I was moved to DB. I played ball against Eric Marsh in HS too, remains a good friend when I get back to town.

Tavani had recruited in HS back then, and when I got hurt and QB situation at LU changed and got moved to DB, he offered the chance to bring me across the valley to play try and play DB for the Pards, (even if a friendly gesture) for one year after transfer. I think he felt bad how that turned out for me--he is a very, very classy gentleman in my opinion, to think about a LU guy. My dad, however, being a LU DB in the late 60s, would have stroked!

My inability to turn the page is legendary. Yes, the good old days, they were the best of times....(roll the credits, play the music, blah, blah, blah).

We most definately butted helmets then. I played DT for my first two years...including the frosh/jv game you mention. My older brother played OT but went down with an injury similar to yours in his junior year. At that point they moved me over to the Elephants Grave Yard to assume his position (one of the perils of being 6,6...the O-line coach always has his eye on you). And I played OT my final two years.

Tavani takes heat but you are correct...he's a good guy with his priorities set straight. He recruited me as well and played a big part in my decision to go to Lafayette. I actually got my older brother to transfer from Villanova and my little brother followed us both and played Guard for the Leopards during The Dark Years. Last year I had trouble securing tickets for The Game. I called up Tavani and told him all three of the brothers wanted to come watch the game but we had no tickets. He said it would be a cold day in hell before the "Insert My Name Here" boys watch a Lafayette game at some sports bar. He was able to get us tickets but not before saying if he couldn't get them we could bring our families up to his office which overlooks the field and watch the game there.

All three of us came out of Lafayette getting a great degree, liking our coaches and thinking fondly of our experience playing college football. How many players can say that?

Doc QB
November 3rd, 2009, 11:24 AM
Pard94...All three of us came out of Lafayette getting a great degree, liking our coaches and thinking fondly of our experience playing college football. How many players can say that?

I think very few get it all: the degree, the relationship with the coaches, and the fond memories. But it is still special. I don't feel like that from the LU guys, all of which are long gone, but the HC at Hopkins wrote me a med school recommendation, and it was the only one ever commented on during interviews as something special, so it probably added a few tenths to my otherwise borderline GPA. I probably owe so much more to him for getting me in as a LU transfer which set the table the next fifteen years. Played with my little bro there, who was a receiver, and I'll never forget sharing a huddle with him.

Those memories are why I think we have such passionate PL followers on this board, many folks who contribute daily, competitors who want to see our schools progress their programs, and not just just watch the administrative types sip tea and read poetry while we potentially stagnate.

November should be a great month of games for us all.

Pard94
November 3rd, 2009, 11:27 AM
I think very few get it all: the degree, the relationship with the coaches, and the fond memories. But it is still special. I don't feel like that from the LU guys, all of which are long gone, but the HC at Hopkins wrote me a med school recommendation, and it was the only one ever commented on during interviews as something special, so it probably added a few tenths to my otherwise borderline GPA. I probably owe so much more to him for getting me in as a LU transfer which set the table the next fifteen years. Played with my little bro there, who was a receiver, and I'll never forget sharing a huddle with him.

Those memories are why I think we have such passionate PL followers on this board, many folks who contribute daily, competitors who want to see our schools progress their programs, and not just just watch the administrative types sip tea and read poetry while we potentially stagnate.

Amen brother.xpeacex

DFW HOYA
November 3rd, 2009, 11:45 AM

Some of us. But then again, you're not playing Richmond next week.

Bogus Megapardus
November 3rd, 2009, 12:42 PM

Um . . . there's always the "Colgate flu" . . . .

jimbo65
November 3rd, 2009, 12:53 PM

"Ave imperator morituri te salutem"

Bogus Megapardus
November 3rd, 2009, 01:20 PM
"Ave imperator morituri te salutem"

xlolxxlolxxlolx

Illegitimi non carborundum, DFWunum Hoyunum.

RichH2
November 3rd, 2009, 03:28 PM
Doc qb,

I played 63-67 an infamous era for LU football xsmhx and certainly the basis for my constant ranting about how quick teams can slide and how long it takes to recover. When did your Dad play?

Sader87
November 3rd, 2009, 03:50 PM
The vast, vast majority of HC players in the 80's (scholarship era) were tremendous students...anecdotally I'd say most have higher degrees in medicine, law, business and education today.

Many of the guys who went to play at HC in the 80's actually chose HC over Harvard, Dartmouth, Princeton et. al. due to HC giving full athletic scholarships over the financial packages offered by the Ivies.

Go...gate
November 3rd, 2009, 03:51 PM
We most definately butted helmets then. I played DT for my first two years...including the frosh/jv game you mention. My older brother played OT but went down with an injury similar to yours in his junior year. At that point they moved me over to the Elephants Grave Yard to assume his position (one of the perils of being 6,6...the O-line coach always has his eye on you). And I played OT my final two years.

Tavani takes heat but you are correct...he's a good guy with his priorities set straight. He recruited me as well and played a big part in my decision to go to Lafayette. I actually got my older brother to transfer from Villanova and my little brother followed us both and played Guard for the Leopards during The Dark Years. Last year I had trouble securing tickets for The Game. I called up Tavani and told him all three of the brothers wanted to come watch the game but we had no tickets. He said it would be a cold day in hell before the "Insert My Name Here" boys watch a Lafayette game at some sports bar. He was able to get us tickets but not before saying if he couldn't get them we could bring our families up to his office which overlooks the field and watch the game there.

All three of us came out of Lafayette getting a great degree, liking our coaches and thinking fondly of our experience playing college football. How many players can say that?

You gotta really respect Tavani. A great X and O guy and a class act. If I were ever to be blessed with a son with FB talant, Tavani would be on the very short list of the coaches I would like him to play for.

Bogus Megapardus
November 3rd, 2009, 04:10 PM
This week's Sportsbook:

Cornell at Dartmouth

Cornell +6
Dartmouth -6

Harvard at Columbia

Harvard -7
Columbia +7

Holy Cross at Lehigh

Holy Cross -9½
Lehigh +9½

Brown at Yale

Brown -1½
Yale +1½

Colgate at Lafayette

Colgate +7½
Lafayette -7½

Bucknell at Fordham

Bucknell +17½
Fordham -17½

Georgetown at Marist

Georgetown +11½
Marist -11½

Princeton at Pennsylvania

Princeton +22½
Pennsylvania -22½

ngineer
November 3rd, 2009, 09:53 PM
I was going to use this to try to solve this dilemna:

http://nationalsportsrankings.com/joomla//index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

But then I found out they're missing FCS teams from 2003!!!! xmadx

Here's something fun I'd like to try. Let's think of the Top 16 teams in Patriot League history. Then I'll see using this site who would win.

Top teams in PL History

HC 1987, 2007
Colgate 1999, 2002, 2003
Lehigh 1998, 1999, 2001
Fordham 2003, 2004, 2007

Any I'm missing? Any additions/deletions?

YES--Lehigh, 2000 as well!

Bogus Megapardus
November 4th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Sportsbook update: Harvard and Brown bettors are pushing the lines.

Harvard/Columbia now is at -8

Brown/Yale now is at -2

All other Ivy & PL odds remain stable.

carney2
November 4th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Sportsbook update: Harvard and Brown bettors are pushing the lines.

Harvard/Columbia now is at -8

Brown/Yale now is at -2

All other Ivy & PL odds remain stable.

He, Bogus, where do you get these things? Up until about a month ago lines for FCS games were readily available and then they disappeared, being posted only hours before kickoff, if at all. You are finding them, and finding them earlier in the week than I was able to in "the best of times."

ColgateTD
November 4th, 2009, 09:51 AM
38-7 so far.....xcoolx

Holy Cross - Dom cements his reputation at the expense of the 'Ngineers
G'Town - Really want to see the Hoyas win, for DFW's sake
Fordham - Skelton cements his rep as the second best passer in the PL
Colgate - I worship Carney 364 days a year. This happens to be the 365th.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 4th, 2009, 09:58 AM
I worship Carney 364 days a year...

xeekx

Color me extremely troubled... xrulesx xlolx

Bogus Megapardus
November 4th, 2009, 10:20 AM
He, Bogus, where do you get these things?

Ancient Sicilian secret! xcoolx

J/K - check your PM.

Bogus Megapardus
November 5th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Sportsbook update:

Holy Cross over Lehigh now is at -10.5

Marist over Georgetown now is at -12

Time's yours.

carney2
November 5th, 2009, 08:28 AM
I worship Carney 364 days a year. This happens to be the 365th.

Never fear. I shall leap into the breach and worship carney on this 365th day in your stead.

Pard4Life
November 5th, 2009, 10:11 AM
So, Lafayette has a case of the flu. Two starters looked worse than an ill Tavani this week. Names are annonymous. Could this be the "wacky thing" that derails the Pards? How healthy is Gate?

A quote from Tavani really bothered me... he said that even if you stack 10 in the box they will still run because that's what they do, instead of spreading out and throwing like some teams would. I hope he realizes that Gate passing has killed us in the past over the middle and on the sidelines. Plus, Simonds is extremely atheltic.

Hey how about we cancel the game due to flu, beat HC and Lehigh, and become the "not fully deserving" PL champs like somebody else did last year?

Also surprsied only 3 people here picking Gate (me, Valley Raider, GateTD).

Lehigh Football Nation
November 5th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Lehigh fans have a true dilemma this week.

Our team has shown little this year. There has been a lot of dissatisfaction for the head coach. Yet we're in the race for the title.

So what do Lehigh fans do?

Do fans root to beat Holy Cross? A humiliating loss might seal the head coach's fate, but a huge win would give Lehigh fans a boost, at a minimum a boost towards the game against "that school in Easton", at maximum a boost towards the unlikeliest of PL titles. But for the folks that think the head coach is the problem, it would give him a new lease on life.

Do Lehigh fans root for Lafayette to beat Colgate? If the 'Pards beat Colgate, they will have a huge momentum swing going into the close of the season, and would conceivably keep Lehigh's title hopes alive. But a 'Pards loss could be the beginning of the Lafayette house of cards falling - which might help Lehigh against "that school in Easton".

What's the best case scenario for Lehigh? Pulling it all together to save the head coaches' job? Two humiliating losses, but a win against a Lafayette team that's out of the title chase? Or would simply a second straight win against "that school in Easton" be enough to save Coen's job?

This is the weirdest week I've ever had as a Lehigh fan.

Bogus Megapardus
November 5th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Lafayette 28 Colgate 21
Holy Cross 31 Lehigh 21
Marist 17 Georgetown 14
Fordham 38 Bucknell 17

Pard94
November 5th, 2009, 11:08 AM

Our team has shown little this year. There has been a lot of dissatisfaction for the head coach. Yet we're in the race for the title.

Do fans root to beat Holy Cross? A humiliating loss might seal the head coach's fate, but a huge win would give Lehigh fans a boost, at a minimum a boost towards the game against "that school in Easton", at maximum a boost towards the unlikeliest of PL titles. But for the folks that think the head coach is the problem, it would give him a new lease on life.

Do Lehigh fans root for Lafayette to beat Colgate? If the 'Pards beat Colgate, they will have a huge momentum swing going into the close of the season, and would conceivably keep Lehigh's title hopes alive. But a 'Pards loss could be the beginning of the Lafayette house of cards falling - which might help Lehigh against "that school in Easton".

What's the best case scenario for Lehigh? Pulling it all together to save the head coaches' job? Two humiliating losses, but a win against a Lafayette team that's out of the title chase? Or would simply a second straight win against "that school in Easton" be enough to save Coen's job?

If one were cynical one could point out that a sports writer that claims that Lehigh is "still in the race for the title" while simultaneously noting that Lafayette's "house of cards" is in danger of falling may just be an example of bias. Since I am not a cynical person I won't mention it.

Franks Tanks
November 5th, 2009, 11:17 AM

Lehigh is not in contention for the PL title. By sheer luck you are 2-1 by playing the 2 worst teams in the league 1st. You already have a one loss and will probably get shredded by Holy Cross. Even when Lehigh is 2 and 6 we must hear PL title talk

Bogus Megapardus
November 5th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Folks - I hardly think that LFN makes any pretense of being "objective." That's what makes The Rivalry so much fun - we takes sides. The print journalists in the Lafayette Valley who cover both teams don't seem to agree with LFN that the Brown Pants are on the very cusp of a title while Lafayette's House of Cards is falling, but, again, we're all entitled to an opinion.

Here's mine: the Brown Pants will lose out, and nevertheless will be Coen-coached next year. They deserve nothing less.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 5th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Lehigh is not in contention for the PL title. By sheer luck you are 2-1 by playing the 2 worst teams in the league 1st. You already have a one loss and will probably get shredded by Holy Cross. Even when Lehigh is 2 and 6 we must hear PL title talk

Folks - I hardly think that LFN makes any pretense of being "objective." That's what makes The Rivalry so much fun - we takes sides. The print journalists in the Lafayette Valley who cover both teams don't seem to agree with LFN that the Brown Pants are on the very cusp of a title while Lafayette's House of Cards is falling, but, again, we're all entitled to an opinion.

Here's mine: the Brown Pants will lose out, and nevertheless will be Coen-coached next year. They deserve nothing less.

When did I ever say Lehigh was on the cusp for a title?

I'm not putting on rose-colored glasses here. Despite the fact that Lehigh has "shown little" we are mathematically alive for the title. That is a fact.

I also never said that Lafayette's house of cards was going to fall.

My question is: do we ROOT for that to happen?

If Lafayette loses this week, Lehigh's infintessimal title hopes are basically shot no matter what they do against Holy Cross. But it would give Lehigh hope that a win against "that school in Easton" is possible - though it might save the head coaches' job.

If Lafayette wins and Lehigh loses, they get stronger for "The Rivalry", our tiny shot at the title goes away and our tiny shot at beating Lafayette gets even tougher.

If Lafayette wins and Lehigh wins, Lehigh's infintessimal title hopes all of a sudden become much more realistic. But the head coach, already being asked by some Lehigh fans to call U-Haul, might then save his job.

Pard94
November 5th, 2009, 11:53 AM

I'm with you...I think the Chicken Hawks have tasted victory for the last time this year...and I also think Coen is going nowhere (literally and figuratively). If they stink again next year THEN he's done. I think Lafayette beats Colgate this week. My heart says they beat Holy Cross and go on to the playoffs where they beat an unsuspecting UNH team in Durham...that's what my heart says. My head says we lose to HC and all of us fans hope and pray that the committee lets us in as the 2nd PL team. Of course then we'll suffer no small amount of slings and arrows on this board as to how undeserving we are. But I'd be willing to put up with that. I'm not afraid off Danefan! The dream scenario would be the Leopards get the AQ and HC gets an at large bid and both PL teams win a first round playoff game. Can you imagine that!?

If I'm being brutally honest I think we lose to HC and that's all she wrote for this years Lafayette team. If that happens I will tip my hat to Tavani, his crew and all of the players for a very good year (if not magical). That would be an instance where everything came together but we played in the shadow of a truly once in a decade type of PL team in HC. If that happens I will be sorely disappointed if HC gets bounced unceremoniously in the first round of the playoffs. Hell...any one of the top three could go out there and give one of the CAA teams a scare ultimately to lose. I'd hate to see a team like HC, more specifically, a talent like Randolph, not end up doing something special for the PL.

Bogus Megapardus
November 5th, 2009, 12:20 PM
When did I ever say Lehigh was on the cusp for a title?

I also never said that Lafayette's house of cards was going to fall.

LFN - I read your blog . . . one comes away after perusal with the impression that the Engineers are on a title run and the Pards' season is about to collapse. So I read it again, suspecting that words might be parsed. Same impression. No rational reader could come away thinking that Lafayette is making a title run and that Lehigh's chances are nil.

Would you agree that Lafayette is on a title run and that Lehigh's chances are about nil?

RichH2
November 5th, 2009, 12:20 PM
a 2nd idea we agree on completely. Whoever and how many go into playoffs, I would like to seea win. Itwould be painful to see HC go in and get clobbered. Be nice to beat someone or at least scare the hell out of them.

Dont think LFN 's point is that LU has anything other than a mathematical chance at PL. For rooting , however, his issue is well taken, can you root against your own team to hope that coach will be sent packing, which as you noted is not a foregone conclusion anyway.
Disappointed in Coen but I find I cannot root against my school for any reason. Post season will be soon enuf to see what happens. Altho, I do hope Sterrett has his call list on speed dial.

Pard94
November 5th, 2009, 12:52 PM
a 2nd idea we agree on completely. Whoever and how many go into playoffs, I would like to seea win. Itwould be painful to see HC go in and get clobbered. Be nice to beat someone or at least scare the hell out of them.

Dont think LFN 's point is that LU has anything other than a mathematical chance at PL. For rooting , however, his issue is well taken, can you root against your own team to hope that coach will be sent packing, which as you noted is not a foregone conclusion anyway.
Disappointed in Coen but I find I cannot root against my school for any reason. Post season will be soon enuf to see what happens. Altho, I do hope Sterrett has his call list on speed dial.

I've already stated that not only could I never root against Lafayette...I am physically unable to root for Lehigh. If Lehigh were Holy Cross this year and they were the likely favorite to represent the PL, I'd be lying if I said I was rooting hard for them. I wouldn't be rooting at all for them. I wouldn't want them to take Lafayette recruits by doing well in the post season. In that light I have absolutely no problem with LFN rooting for his team. The problem I have (if you want to call it a problem becuase it's not like I lose sleep over it) is that LFN is a sports writer. He maintains his blog and, correct me if I am wrong, he writes for another publication. I am of the opinion if he represents or reports on the league on the whole he has to take off his Lehigh fan hat when he does so. And for all teams other than Lafayette and Lehigh he does. It's terms like "in the race" and "house of cards" that have meaning well beyond the actual words. "In the race" suggest competition and fight and more than just mathmatical possibiliites. "House of cards" means something is built in a shoddy and unsecure manner just waiting for a stiff breeze to come along and blow it all away. These subtle turns of phrases seem innocent enough but if you are already on the look out for bias (which I am) they leap from the page.

Bogus Megapardus
November 5th, 2009, 12:55 PM
It's terms like "in the race" and "house of cards" that have meaning well beyond the actual words. "In the race" suggest competition and fight and more than just mathematical possibilities. "House of cards" means something is built in a shoddy and unsecure manner just waiting for a stiff breeze to come along and blow it all away. These subtle turns of phrases seem innocent enough but if you are already on the look out for bias (which I am) they leap from the page.

Yep. What he said.

Pard4Life
November 5th, 2009, 12:55 PM
LFN must be watching WFMZ 69 at night.

crusader11
November 5th, 2009, 02:37 PM
If I'm being brutally honest I think we lose to HC and that's all she wrote for this years Lafayette team. If that happens I will tip my hat to Tavani, his crew and all of the players for a very good year (if not magical). That would be an instance where everything came together but we played in the shadow of a truly once in a decade type of PL team in HC. If that happens I will be sorely disappointed if HC gets bounced unceremoniously in the first round of the playoffs. Hell...any one of the top three could go out there and give one of the CAA teams a scare ultimately to lose. I'd hate to see a team like HC, more specifically, a talent like Randolph, not end up doing something special for the PL.

Well said. It would be unfortunate for Dom not to show the entire country just what a talent he is and what an offense we run.

Sader87
November 5th, 2009, 03:02 PM
I'm with you...I think the Chicken Hawks have tasted victory for the last time this year...and I also think Coen is going nowhere (literally and figuratively). If they stink again next year THEN he's done. I think Lafayette beats Colgate this week. My heart says they beat Holy Cross and go on to the playoffs where they beat an unsuspecting UNH team in Durham...that's what my heart says. My head says we lose to HC and all of us fans hope and pray that the committee lets us in as the 2nd PL team. Of course then we'll suffer no small amount of slings and arrows on this board as to how undeserving we are. But I'd be willing to put up with that. I'm not afraid off Danefan! The dream scenario would be the Leopards get the AQ and HC gets an at large bid and both PL teams win a first round playoff game. Can you imagine that!?

This year's HC sguad is not a "once in a decade" type team....a "once in a generation" QB perhaps but our defense is very suspect and I fear could be shredded by a very strong FCS team in the play-offs.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 5th, 2009, 03:04 PM
It's terms like "in the race" and "house of cards" that have meaning well beyond the actual words. "In the race" suggest competition and fight and more than just mathmatical possibiliites. "House of cards" means something is built in a shoddy and unsecure manner just waiting for a stiff breeze to come along and blow it all away. These subtle turns of phrases seem innocent enough but if you are already on the look out for bias (which I am) they leap from the page.

xlolx

Words fail me. I'm glad my words are having such an effect. I guess. xlolx

Franks Tanks
November 5th, 2009, 03:09 PM
This year's HC sguad is not a "once in a decade" type team....a "once in a generation" QB perhaps but our defense is very suspect and I fear could be shredded by a very strong FCS team in the play-offs.

But it has been well over a decade since a Holy Cross team was this good. Even the best PL teams will have holes, but this Cross team is something special, even if special is jus defined by that great QB and offense.

Bogus Megapardus
November 5th, 2009, 03:19 PM
I am physically unable to root for Lehigh.

Completely understandable, but I will root for the PL champion regardless - even Lehigh. I was thrilled when Colgate made its run, and I would love to see Holy Cross take out CAA State University this year should they win the PL. A good run by any PL team will elevate the whole league and will improve recruiting across the board. With Lehigh, it comes down the the rivalry, which exists in all sports, and The Rivalry, which is equaled by few others in the NCAA. Prior records, playoff possibilities, and the rest of the PL become irrelevant when it comes to That Game. If a Lafayette win over Lehigh means that the PL team with the best chance to make a run through the playoffs misses its chance, then so be it. But if Lehigh wins the PL, I'm behind them for the post-season. I want them to win.

carney2
November 5th, 2009, 03:33 PM
the Lafayette Valley

Now you've done it. Another phrase to be used in perpetuity. It beats yhe bejeezus out of "The Rivalry." C'mon, LFN, have you no creativity?!!!!!

Bogus Megapardus
November 5th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Now you've done it. Another phrase to be used in perpetuity.

Why not the Lafayette Valley Airport? What's to stop an enterprising graduate from building the Lafayette Valley Mall? And who would be against construction of Lafayette Valley Regional Hospital? I'd sure like to see the Lafayette Valley Railroad extend to New York and/or Philadelphia for the student's convenience.

Keep in mind that one institution is named after a noble military leader, scholar, author and abolitionist. The other takes its name (and school color) from a filthy, polluted, disease-and-rodent-spreading watercourse. I rest my case.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 5th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Keep in mind that one institution is named after a noble military leader, scholar, author and abolitionist.

And he's a cheese-eating Frenchman. xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
November 5th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Now you've done it. Another phrase to be used in perpetuity. It beats yhe bejeezus out of "The Rivalry." C'mon, LFN, have you no creativity?!!!!!

Once you have a Wikipedia page made from your creation, it's all over.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lehigh-Lafayette_football_games_%28The_Rivalry%29

Bogus Megapardus
November 5th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Once you have a Wikipedia page made from your creation, it's all over.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lehigh-Lafayette_football_games_%28The_Rivalry%29

I think that Wikipedia page is long overdue for some serious anti-bias editing.

Bogus Megapardus
November 5th, 2009, 04:13 PM

General Lafayette was the first person in history to be granted Honorary United States Citizenship. I am as francophobic as the next guy, but the Marquis was a dude. I'd say your statement is quite unpatriotic - and I'm not going to sit here and listen to some naysayer bash the United States of America . . . .

65 Pard
November 5th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Without the Marquis, according to Ben Franklin, we would have lost the Revolutionary War...read your history. He was a remarkable individual..

Go...gate
November 5th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Why not the Lafayette Valley Airport? What's to stop an enterprising graduate from building the Lafayette Valley Mall? And who would be against construction of Lafayette Valley Regional Hospital? I'd sure like to see the Lafayette Valley Railroad extend to New York and/or Philadelphia for the student's convenience.

Keep in mind that one institution is named after a noble military leader, scholar, author and abolitionist who provided valuable assistance to the Colonists as they wrested their independence from the English Crown. The other takes its name (and school color) from a filthy, polluted, disease-and-rodent-spreading watercourse, whose power helped foster industrial production which, for a multiplicity of generations, made America the envy of the world and helped win a World War. I rest my case.

Fixed it for you. Looks like both schools have a lot to brag about.

Pard94
November 5th, 2009, 04:43 PM

I have two words for you...Asa Packer. xlolx

Bogus Megapardus
November 5th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Fixed it for you. Looks like both schools have a lot to brag about.

Wait - hold on a minute - no one else is allowed to bash the Engineers or their cruddy institution. Only we are allowed to bash the Engineers and that outhouse they call a University, and vice-versa. It's a law. Codified somewhere, I'm sure.

With that understood, I'll refrain from toothpaste jokes for the duration . . . .

Bogus Megapardus
November 5th, 2009, 04:50 PM
I have two words for you...Asa Packer. xlolx

Ouch. That hurts. You taking this down, LFN?

Pard94
November 5th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Ouch. That hurts. You taking this down, LFN?

Indeed...the truth hurts.

RichH2
November 5th, 2009, 04:54 PM
I think it written in the 100th Game Book that only graduates or attendees at the aforementioned institutions are permitted to "bash". I think we're allowed to tar and feather him for interrupting , or maybe draw and quarter, altho I'm not sure how that works . You Marquis boys should be up on stuff like that. We can build it for you

Bogus Megapardus
November 5th, 2009, 04:55 PM
I think this is much more entertaining than yet another Liberty-should-be-in-the-playoffs thread.

RichH2
November 5th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Iguess we could re-start the CCSU thread instead

Bogus Megapardus
November 5th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Iguess we could re-start the CCSU thread instead

To be honest with you - and this might seem a bit haughty - but when I read all those "CCSU is better than any team in the PL" posts I had to go and look up what the f--- "CCSU" was. I'm still not too sure I know.

(I hope and trust that no one outside the PL reads our prediction threads xrolleyesx)

Go...gate
November 5th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Wait - hold on a minute - no one else is allowed to bash the Engineers or their cruddy institution. Only we are allowed to bash the Engineers and that outhouse they call a University, and vice-versa. It's a law. Codified somewhere, I'm sure.

With that understood, I'll refrain from toothpaste jokes for the duration . . . .

Actually, I edited your post to provide complimentary remarks about both schools rather than just one. I like 'em both.

Bogus Megapardus
November 5th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Actually, I edited your post to provide complimentary remarks about both schools rather than just one. I like 'em both.

Awwww . . . group hug. You hate us both and you know it.

Bogus Megapardus
November 5th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Back to the CCSU thing - I just looked it up again. What is that, like Storrs Lite or something? Maybe they really should have a "Playoffs??!!" commercial with Jim Mora playing himself.

TheValleyRaider
November 5th, 2009, 06:09 PM
You hate us both and you know it.

I can't speak for Go...gate, but last week and this week, I sure do :D

RichH2
November 5th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Good some honest hostility from someone other than 94.xsmashx. Now if one of you guys can carry that tude into the playoffs and do some damagexthumbsupx

PeacockRaider
November 5th, 2009, 07:11 PM
So, Lafayette has a case of the flu. Two starters looked worse than an ill Tavani this week. Names are annonymous. Could this be the "wacky thing" that derails the Pards? How healthy is Gate?

A quote from Tavani really bothered me... he said that even if you stack 10 in the box they will still run because that's what they do, instead of spreading out and throwing like some teams would. I hope he realizes that Gate passing has killed us in the past over the middle and on the sidelines. Plus, Simonds is extremely atheltic.

Hey how about we cancel the game due to flu, beat HC and Lehigh, and become the "not fully deserving" PL champs like somebody else did last year?

GOD do you ever stop making excuses and hedging your bets? If Gate is not that good as you seem to think, man up and take your team to win. If not shut your pie hole and give Gate some credit.....or I guess you can keep making excuses how Colgate has just been lucky 12 out of the last 13 years

carney2
November 5th, 2009, 07:49 PM
This is the 2nd consecutive week that this prediction thread has soared well past 100 posts with very few real predictions. Congrats to all.

Is this like the bullpen at a baseball park? Everyone seems to be warming up to be ready o spew some real venom in 10 days.

PS: Down with LFN and all he stands for.

PPS: Pluck the ChickenSquawks.

Go...gate
November 5th, 2009, 07:53 PM

Oh, come on. You really think not playing the Georgetown game made us "not fully deserving"?

Pard94
November 5th, 2009, 07:55 PM
GOD do you ever stop making excuses and hedging your bets? If Gate is not that good as you seem to think, man up and take your team to win. If not shut your pie hole and give Gate some credit.....or I guess you can keep making excuses how Colgate has just been lucky 12 out of the last 13 years

Pard4Life is one who believes history somehow has a bearing on the future. His hesitations are based largely in our recent record against Colgate. I don't. I think Gate has beaten a bunch of creampuffs and lost by a decent margin to the only tough team they faced. I think you guys lose by two scores on Saturday. How's that for manning up?

HoyaMetanoia
November 5th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Georgetown +12 is a great bet.

Bogus Megapardus
November 5th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Georgetown +12 is a great bet.

I'd take Georgetown and lay the 12 on this one. Even though my daughter is a Marist sophomore, my PL allegiance finds me hoping beyond hope that the Hoyas pull this one out.

TheValleyRaider
November 5th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Pard4Life is one who believes history somehow has a bearing on the future. His hesitations are based largely in our recent record against Colgate. I don't. I think Gate has beaten a bunch of creampuffs and lost by a decent margin to the only tough team they faced. I think you guys lose by two scores on Saturday. How's that for manning up?

That'll do Pard, that'll do xrotatehx

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 5th, 2009, 10:32 PM
4-0 last week 33-11 overall.

Marist 16 Georgetown 10: I really have no clue in this game but i have to believe Marist is just a little bit better. I think an 0-11 season is in the cards for the Hoyas.

Fordham 52 Bucknell 21: For some reason i think Skelton goes crazy on the Bison defense. The Rams are better than their record would show.

Lafayette 31 Colgate 21: The 'Pards are simply better imo. They've been better up to this point and i think they'll prove it on Saturday. Colgate is solid but i think their record is a bit misleading.

Holy Cross 42 Lehigh 14: I question how much Lehigh will have in the tank on Saturday. At this point the only real goal is to beat Lafayette. Holy Cross is just too good on offense.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 5th, 2009, 10:49 PM
PS: Down with LFN and all he stands for.

PPS: Pluck the ChickenSquawks.

Is it November already? xrotatehx

65 Pard
November 6th, 2009, 06:14 AM
The betting line this week on LC/Gate is very telling.....We will take a page out of the Princeton playbook, but we will execute it with a much better offense and defense.

Curley and his crop of receivers will be too much for the snowdwellers.... LC by 10

Sader87
November 6th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Any idea if/where the HC-LU and CU-LC games are on online/TV tomorrow?

Franks Tanks
November 6th, 2009, 08:02 AM

Most LC and LU games appear on www.channelsurfing.net so I assume you can find them there.

Bogus Megapardus
November 6th, 2009, 08:47 AM

Lafayette/Colgate will be on Channel 60 in the Lafayette Valley and on RCN Cable (every Lafayette game is broadcast live). Lehigh/Holy Cross will be streamed live on Yahoo Sports and it should be free. "Someone" who happens to have the proper capture software as well as the bandwidth to do so might stream the Lafayette/Colgate game from the live broadcast if he feels inclined to do so.

In any event, if it's going to be streamed this weekend, you'll find it on channelsurfing or here:

http://www.myp2pforum.eu/ncaa/46020-ncaa-football-week-10-streaming.html

One can pay cbs sports about fourteen bucks or so to get a very high quality live stream of the Colgate/Lafayette game through "LSN All-Access Video."

Sader87
November 6th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Thanks guys...

HoyaMetanoia
November 6th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Not that this has any legitimacy, but this is a message that is being passed around amongst the players at Georgetown:
"Georgetown Football Team, The GU Football program is being abolished at the end of next year, after Coach Kelly's 5th and final season, with funds being redirected to the other 28 intercollegiate teams. Knowledge is Power !!! HoyaSaxa, HoyaFBall98"
Not sure where it originated and definitely not true, but pretty funny IMHO.

Pard4Life
November 6th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Oh, come on. You really think not playing the Georgetown game made us "not fully deserving"?

As they say, AGS. Your 2003 needed a miracle with seconds to play to beat them, and this year was close for awhile.

ngineer
November 6th, 2009, 11:42 AM

Lehigh's game with Holy Cross will be on Service Electric Cable 2 and FCS Sports usually picks it up. However, you can view for free on Lehigh's website with linkage through Yahoo Sports. Just go to www.lehighsports.com and click on the media link. When that page comes up just click on the Yahoo Sports logo and the list of Lehigh sports teams and games comes up. Find Saturday's game and click on that an that should set you up.

DFW HOYA
November 6th, 2009, 11:59 AM
That guy has been trolling around for a while now, he was also claiming that Kelly's contract was extended. I think he is just trying to rattle cages.

He would be wise not to post such nonsense on HoyaTalk.

Bogus Megapardus
November 6th, 2009, 12:14 PM
That guy has been trolling around for a while now, he was also claiming that Kelly's contract was extended. I think he is just trying to rattle cages.

He would be wise not to post such nonsense on HoyaTalk.

So there's no truth to it?

DFW HOYA
November 6th, 2009, 12:28 PM
So there's no truth to it?

It's about as truthful as if he were to say "The GU Football program is being upgraded to the Big East at the end of next year, with basketball funds being redirected to hire Nick Saban. Knowledge is Power !!! HoyaSaxa, HoyaFBall98"

HoyaMetanoia
November 6th, 2009, 01:43 PM
The only thing in that message that I know to be true is that Coach Kelly's contract still has one more year remaining.

DFW HOYA
November 6th, 2009, 01:50 PM
The only thing in that message that I know to be true is that Coach Kelly's contract still has one more year remaining.

"Jan. 20, 2004: Georgetown Head Football Coach Bob Benson has signed a new five-year contract extension that will lengthen his contract through the 2009 season. Benson also announced today a new offensive coordinator for the Hoyas in former Naval Academy Head Coach, Elliott Uzelac."

http://www.patriotleague.org/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/012004aaa.html

CFBfan
November 6th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Not that this has any legitimacy, but this is a message that is being passed around amongst the players at Georgetown:
"Georgetown Football Team, The GU Football program is being abolished at the end of next year, after Coach Kelly's 5th and final season, with funds being redirected to the other 28 intercollegiate teams. Knowledge is Power !!! HoyaSaxa, HoyaFBall98"
Not sure where it originated and definitely not true, but pretty funny IMHO.

I imagine that this being "pretty funny" depends on your perspective......as a father of a current player it's anything but funny. It has upset players and their families and in my opinion is nothing short of mindless, pathetic and incredibly immature. Fortunetly this is NOT true and HOPEFULY all the players will be made aware of that IMMEDIALTELY!! Many a coward hides behind namless posts and emails.

HoyaMetanoia
November 6th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I imagine that this being "pretty funny" depends on your perspective......as a father of a current player it's anything but funny. It has upset players and their families and in my opinion is nothing short of mindless, pathetic and incredibly immature. Fortunetly this is NOT true and HOPEFULY all the players will be made aware of that IMMEDIALTELY!! Many a coward hides behind namless posts and emails.

I'm closely attached to the program as well and trust me, the players know it's not true. Hence why I consider it funny.

Although, I will say that I know of more than one high-level trustee who has made overtures towards Jack DeGoia regarding the abolition of the football program recently.

CFBfan
November 6th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I'm closely attached to the program as well and trust me, the players know it's not true. Hence why I consider it funny.

Although, I will say that I know of more than one high-level trustee who has made overtures towards Jack DeGoia regarding the abolition of the football program recently.

I appreciate that you are close to the program but my son is on the team and a lot of players including him did NOT know it wasn't true and were very upset so, hence I don't consider it funny.

Fordhamanhattan
November 6th, 2009, 04:02 PM
I understand that Georgetown had offered to extend Allen Iverson's contract as well, academic considerations of the pseudo ivy notwithstanding.

Sader87
November 6th, 2009, 05:45 PM
I really wish GU could turn it around, it would really help the league in toto. That being said, with the current path they've been on the last few years, it's really no wonder rumors like this continually pop up there and elsewhere.

HoyaMetanoia
November 6th, 2009, 05:49 PM
I appreciate that you are close to the program but my son is on the team and a lot of players including him did NOT know it wasn't true and were very upset so, hence I don't consider it funny.

I know other players who took it seriously at first, but it was made pretty clear within hours of it being circulated to everyone that it should not be taken seriously.

Go...gate
November 6th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Holy Cross 34, Lehigh 28

Georgetown 14, Marist 12

Fordham 40, Bucknell 23

Colgate 20, Lafayette 19

RichH2
November 6th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Go Gate,

You'vegot a lot of nerve actually ( dare I say it) predictions on this thread. I am dismayed ny shocked by your effrontery;)

RichH2
November 6th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Go Gate,

You've got a lot of nerve ,actually ( dare I say it) posting predictions on this thread. I am dismayed nay shocked by your effrontery;)

Sader87
November 6th, 2009, 07:53 PM
HC 221 Lehigh 0 ....HC just misses breaking Ga Tech's historic drubbing of Cumberland when a 2 pt conversion pass by Randolph sails a little too high.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 6th, 2009, 07:54 PM
It's been a long week, dammit. No cutesy rhymess this week, just all my picks quick & dirty this time.

Hope I'm wrong about one game in particular, but I don't think so.

Sources:
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/11/06/the-csn-way-clarity?blog=5

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2009/11/game-preview-holy-cross-at-lehigh.html

Holy Cross 45, Lehigh 10
Lafayette 35, Colgate 17

BONUS PICKS:
Fordham 55, Bucknell 27
Georgetown 28, Marist 3 (that one's for you Hoya fans. You'll beat them handily. Trust me on this one.)

crusader11
November 6th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Georgetown 28, Marist 3 (that one's for you Hoya fans. You'll beat them handily. Trust me on this one.)

LFN, you serious about this one? Marist, while not great, lost to Bucknell by a point, and blew out Sacred Heart, a team on Georgetown's level. No way, absolutely no way, does Georgetown beat Marist by that much, or even win at all.

Go...gate
November 6th, 2009, 08:20 PM
LFN, you serious about this one? Marist, while not great, lost to Bucknell by a point, and blew out Sacred Heart, a team on Georgetown's level. No way, absolutely no way, does Georgetown beat Marist by that much, or even win at all.

I have a hunch that Georgetown is due for a good day and I think it will be tomorrow. If it is 28-3, great, but I think they will win.

ngineer
November 6th, 2009, 09:12 PM
I'm with ya! I picked the Hoyas over the Redd Foxes, 13-10.;)

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 6th, 2009, 09:34 PM
HOLY CROSS 35 @ LEHIGH 10 xthumbsupx Crusaders getting tuned up for 'Pards
GEORGETOWN 10 @ Marist 7 xeekx Ball game over.... Hoyas win..... The HOYAS WIIIINNNNN!
BUCKNELL 14 @ FORDHAM 17 xnodx Rams getting ready for next year.
COLGATE 24 @ LAFAYETTE 28 xsmiley_wix Home team prevails in Game of the Year, Part Duex

Bogus Megapardus
November 7th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Lehigh & Holy Cross fans - here's a URL link for your VLC Media stream, etc. so you don't have to look at that crappy Yahoo interface:

http://www.channelsurfing.net/watch-yahoo.php?w=15256891

Just open your VLC Media Player (you do have VLC, don't you?), paste this in "Open Network Stream," and hit "Play." You can then adjust the screen size, pause, delay, and even capture and record the whole game if you want. None of these things are available with the Yahoo Player.

Mixed feelings about who I'd like to see win this game . . . .

CrusaderBob
November 7th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Busy Week. Just getting these in under the wire.

Last Week 4 - 0
Year to Date 34 - 11

Holy Cross
Georgetown
Fordham
Colgate