PDA

View Full Version : MVFC Championship game: SDSU v SIU

JackJD
October 31st, 2009, 05:51 PM
May as well get it started: SDSU and Southern Illinois are undefeated in the Missouri Valley Football Conference. The Salukis go to Brookings Nov 7 to chase the Jackrabbits. At stake: the title.

Upstart Jackrabbits, everyman's football team, 21, visiting Salukis 7.

T-Dog
October 31st, 2009, 05:54 PM
This is also a big game in that the winner probably gets a seed, provided they win out.

I like SDSU at home.

MSUBear42
October 31st, 2009, 06:05 PM
Who cares about football.

ValleyChamp
October 31st, 2009, 06:23 PM

xlolx

Rabbit3467
October 31st, 2009, 07:17 PM
Big week next week for the MVC, I like the Jacks at home.

sluki86
October 31st, 2009, 07:34 PM
May as well get it started: SDSU and Southern Illinois are undefeated in the Missouri Valley Football Conference. The Salukis go to Brookings Nov 7 to chase the Jackrabbits. At stake: the title.

Upstart Jackrabbits, everyman's football team, 21, visiting Salukis 7.

A saluki is the fastest animal over a three mile range. It's science. Dawgs win!!

Sturgisjeff
October 31st, 2009, 07:37 PM
More rain on the way for the Brookings area. How fast can a saluki run in the mud, I know rabbits can. Home team wins.

jmc_jackrabbit
October 31st, 2009, 07:38 PM
A saluki is the fastest animal over a three mile range. It's science. Dawgs win!!

Should be a dawgfight.

sluki86
October 31st, 2009, 07:39 PM
Should be a dawgfight.

It'll be a great game, that's for sure!

darell1976
October 31st, 2009, 07:40 PM
Is NDSU still in the running.xsmiley_wix

sluki86
October 31st, 2009, 07:53 PM
Is NDSU still in the running.xsmiley_wix

For worst team in the Valley.

putter
October 31st, 2009, 08:49 PM

No one at Missouri State...xlolx

slostang
October 31st, 2009, 08:58 PM

After the way the Mustangs played today I am right there with you.

FargoBison
October 31st, 2009, 09:07 PM
For worst team in the Valley.

I think WIU has that locked up, but we tried our best to take it away from them today.

slostang
October 31st, 2009, 09:23 PM
Go Jacks, Go!!!!

Houndawg
October 31st, 2009, 09:43 PM
Still no love for the dawgs; you folks are underestimating SIU.

LacesOut
October 31st, 2009, 10:42 PM
Go Jacks, Go!!!!

This.

malibudude
October 31st, 2009, 11:03 PM
Jacks in Brookings are very tough. I will be pulling for our former GWFC member, the SDSU Jackrabbits. This will be one of the best FCS games of the year. Two very good teams. BTW, as long as there is not a crazy blowout, I think both teams have earned their way into the playoffs.

McNeese75
October 31st, 2009, 11:27 PM
I think the Jacks take this one at home xnodx

Green and Yellow
October 31st, 2009, 11:27 PM
Jacks in Brookings are very tough. I will be pulling for our former GWFC member, the SDSU Jackrabbits. This will be one of the best FCS games of the year. Two very good teams. BTW, as long as there is not a crazy blowout, I think both teams have earned their way into the playoffs.

I agree this game is really about seeding for the playoffs. On a slightly different topic can UNI still make the playoffs along with SDSU and SIU.
3 teams from the Valley, is it possible?

FargoBison
October 31st, 2009, 11:30 PM
I agree this game is really about seeding for the playoffs. On a slightly different topic can UNI still make the playoffs along with SDSU and SIU.

It is very possible. I think all UNI has to do is win out and they are in.

Jacks02
October 31st, 2009, 11:33 PM

UC Davis and Cal Poly both losing today certainly helps as that basically eliminates them from consideration. Southern Utah is building a case though in their stead.

FargoBison
October 31st, 2009, 11:36 PM
UC Davis and Cal Poly both losing today certainly helps as that basically eliminates them from consideration. Southern Utah is building a case though in their stead.

SUU can't get to 7 DI wins. Still an impressive season for the T-Birds though considering how bad they were just a few years ago.

Saluki09
October 31st, 2009, 11:45 PM
It is very possible. I think all UNI has to do is win out and they are in.

Not to mention the fact that Umass and Deleware are on thin ice right now. Deleware has to win out to get 7 D1 wins with games @Villanova and @Navy, and UMASS is at best 7-4. There is a very real possibility of just 4 CAA teams... (did I seriously say "just 4"?)

FargoBison
October 31st, 2009, 11:47 PM
Not to mention the fact that Umass and Deleware are on thin ice right now. Deleware has to win out to get 7 D1 wins with games @Villanova and @Navy, and UMASS is at best 7-4. There is a very real possibility of just 4 CAA teams... (did I seriously say "just 4"?)

Yep, UNI was probably the biggest winner today and they didn't even play a game. Both the CAA and Great West lost a few potential playoff teams. They pretty much control their own destiny again.

Green and Yellow
October 31st, 2009, 11:52 PM
Yep, UNI was probably the biggest winner today and they didn't even play a game. Both the CAA and Great West lost a few potential playoff teams. They pretty much control their own destiny again.

Great glad to hear it. This season would not be a complete loss if the Valley gets three into the playoffs.

JackJD
November 1st, 2009, 12:06 AM

My sources tell me a greyhound (saluki with haircut) has a top end of 45 mph. A Saluki has a top end of 40 mph. A Jackrabbit has a top speed of 35 mph.

BUT

A Jackrabbit can also jump...it can clear a 15-ft high obstruction on a dead run.

So, Saluki has a slight advantage on speed but Jackrabbit is fast AND can jump much better. Throw in a waterlogged, real-grass field and 30 degrees temps, home crowd, some South Dakota wind....you have to go with the hares.

On paper Southern Illinois has to be the odds-on favorite. [The Jackrabbits have them just where we like them! Know why? Because guys like Danny Batten, Jimmy Rogers and Derek Domino and their defense teammates just do not pay attention to dogs and hares and odds-on favorites.]

Jackrabbits 21, Stunned Salukis 7.

It should be a great game and for those of you non-SDSU or SIU fans who happen to be in the area, stop on by!

Jacks02
November 1st, 2009, 12:11 AM
I'll take our defense at home to be the difference.

17-13 Jacks.

FargoBison
November 1st, 2009, 12:14 AM
I'd say SDSU has to be the favorite with the game being at CAS. I think it will be very close though, SDSU by 3.

Green and Yellow
November 1st, 2009, 12:30 AM
I'd say SDSU has to be the favorite with the game being at CAS. I think it will be very close though, SDSU by 3.

Agreed, and the Jacks are a down to earth well coached football program. Got to hand it to them (as much as it hurts) they have adapted very well to D1 football. I say Jacks by 7.

Green and Yellow
November 1st, 2009, 12:44 AM

Well assuming the CAA only gets 4 teams out of 12 into the playoffs- 33.33%
Assuming 3 from the Valley out of nine- 33.33%
We will get the same percentage of teams in the playoffs as a conference as the CAA. We are one of the toughest conferences in football, now we need to prove it in the post-season.

SDFS
November 1st, 2009, 12:56 AM
The SIU coaching staff knows about SDSU and Brookings in Nov. I believe SUI's coach is 9-1 lifetime against SDSU's coach. This will be a very very close game. I also think that it will be very low scoring. Who has the better kicker?

RabidRabbit
November 1st, 2009, 03:10 AM
Jacks at home. 24-17 over Dawgs.

Is this going to be on broadcast?

SDSU's kicking game, especially punting has been really good. This should be another defensive struggle, with a couple of big plays either way being the difference.

UNI REALLY benefited by all the upsets/losses yesterday. Marginal CAA teams, all the GWFC teams, most of the Big Sky teams not named MT, and SLC teams really hurt chances yesterday.

jmc_jackrabbit
November 1st, 2009, 07:21 AM
Still no love for the dawgs; you folks are underestimating SIU.

SDSU fans have all the respect in the world for SIU and what that program has done.

jmc_jackrabbit
November 1st, 2009, 07:24 AM
The SIU coaching staff knows about SDSU and Brookings in Nov. I believe SUI's coach is 9-1 lifetime against SDSU's coach. This will be a very very close game. I also think that it will be very low scoring. Who has the better kicker?

Two very good defenses, probably a slow track on our November grass. You're right, special teams could be very important. The home field outdoors and late in the season is probably an important part of the equation here.

Sturgisjeff
November 1st, 2009, 07:47 AM
Accuweather extended forecast calls for a high of 53 with a real feel temp of 46 with partly sunny skies. Winds out of the west at 17 gusting to 33. Looks like it favors the Jacks. But this forecast can change in the next thirty seconds so we'll wait and see.

Houndawg
November 1st, 2009, 08:05 AM
I'll take our defense at home to be the difference.

17-13 Jacks.

xpeacex Gosh, people, SIU can play defense too. 3 rushing TDs so far this season?

Clearly, field conditions will affect the faster team more, but it is a mistake to think that because SIU is very fast that they can't slug with a physical team.

B&G
November 1st, 2009, 08:13 AM
I hope I can find this one on TV. Would be nice to scout two playoff teams in the same game.

Gil Dobie
November 1st, 2009, 09:36 AM

This isn't the same SDSU team as it was during most of that 9-1 record, heck NDSU has a lopsided advantage over the last 40 years, and that didn't mean squat this year, or to be honest, since the FCS move.

Jacks need to win, as they have a tough game at TCF the following week. I have been calling them the best team in the MVFC since the season started, and I'm not backing off now. Jacks win in a close game, 10 or less points.

UNI will get a playoff bid if they win the rest.

stevdock
November 1st, 2009, 09:56 AM
Should be a dawgfight.

Definitely should be "a whale of a game."

Please one of these two teams copyright this statement and sue any school that says this in the future, as I know of at least one school who is sick and tired of hearing that.

I think the two teams are very similar. But this is a different SDSU team and I honestly think home field will decide this. Hopefully the SDSU fans will make a huge difference for the Jacks and support them like never before.

Gil Dobie
November 1st, 2009, 10:21 AM
Hopefully the SDSU fans will make a huge difference for the Jacks and support them like never before.

Like they do the SDSU basketball program.

Who'd of thunk that SDSU is the first school to the FCS football playoffs and NDSU was the first to the NCAA Basketball playoffs. Reversal of fortunes. xoopsx

Houndawg
November 1st, 2009, 10:55 AM
This isn't the same SDSU team as it was during most of that 9-1 record, heck NDSU has a lopsided advantage over the last 40 years, and that didn't mean squat this year, or to be honest, since the FCS move.

Jacks need to win, as they have a tough game at TCF the following week. I have been calling them the best team in the MVFC since the season started, and I'm not backing off now. Jacks win in a close game, 10 or less points.

UNI will get a playoff bid if they win the rest.

SIU is also the best team Lennon has ever coached.xnodx

Jacks02
November 1st, 2009, 11:01 AM
xpeacex Gosh, people, SIU can play defense too. 3 rushing TDs so far this season?

Clearly, field conditions will affect the faster team more, but it is a mistake to think that because SIU is very fast that they can't slug with a physical team.

Defense Rankings - FCS/MVFC Rank

Rushing Defense
SDSU: 12/1 89.88
SIU: 26/3 106.75

Pass Efficiency Defense
SDSU: 3/1 92.54
SIU: 15/2 105.80

Total Defense
SDSU: 15/1 272.75
SIU: 44/4 313.88

Scoring Defense
SDSU: 1/1 11.38
SIU: 8/2 14.13

Turnover Margin
SDSU: 10/T-1 1.13
SIU: T-10/T-1 1.13

Pass Defense
SDSU: 45/2 182.88
SIU: 77/7 207.13

Sacks
SDSU: T-33/2 2.25
SIU: 19/1 2.63

Tackles For Loss
SDSU: T-97/6 4.88
SIU: T-56/T-1 6.13

So basically SIU has more sacks and tackles for loss, we are tied for TO margin, but SDSU leads in every other statistical category. I'm not saying your defense isn't good, just saying I think ours is better, and we are playing at home.

Jacked_Rabbit
November 1st, 2009, 11:24 AM

So basically SIU has more sacks and tackles for loss, we are tied for TO margin, but SDSU leads in every other statistical category. I'm not saying your defense isn't good, just saying I think ours is better, and we are playing at home.

Good info here, Jacks02. I agree, SIU's defense is solid, but the Jackrabbits simply do not break and haven't given up the 'big play' yet this year... Advantage Rabbits.

Green and Yellow
November 1st, 2009, 02:50 PM
SIU is also the best team Lennon has ever coached.xnodx

Well before coming to coach at SIU he was at a hockey school that could care less about football most of the time. SIU is also better this year than last, so yes I agree this is the best team Lennon has ever coached. xthumbsupx

Houndawg
November 1st, 2009, 04:05 PM

Rushing Defense
SDSU: 12/1 89.88
SIU: 26/3 106.75

Pass Efficiency Defense
SDSU: 3/1 92.54
SIU: 15/2 105.80

Total Defense
SDSU: 15/1 272.75
SIU: 44/4 313.88

Scoring Defense
SDSU: 1/1 11.38
SIU: 8/2 14.13

Turnover Margin
SDSU: 10/T-1 1.13
SIU: T-10/T-1 1.13

Pass Defense
SDSU: 45/2 182.88
SIU: 77/7 207.13

Sacks
SDSU: T-33/2 2.25
SIU: 19/1 2.63

Tackles For Loss
SDSU: T-97/6 4.88
SIU: T-56/T-1 6.13

xthumbsupx Thanks for the info.

You're better on paper, and you're good, I'm not dissing you at all, but statistics are like bikinis: what they reveal is interesting, what they don't reveal is vital. A closer look at the yardage we yield reveals that we give up most of it early and least in the 4th quarter. Opponents don't convert 2 out of three 3rd downs and are 5/17 on 4th downs including several highlight reel 4th and goal from the one yard line stuffs. They make big plays on big downs. I expect them to negate your QB advantage and win a close low scoring game. Something like 16-13 maybe 20-13 if we get some footing in the hay.

Jacked_Rabbit
November 1st, 2009, 04:20 PM
xthumbsupx Thanks for the info.

You're better on paper, and you're good, I'm not dissing you at all, but statistics are like bikinis: what they reveal is interesting, what they don't reveal is vital. A closer look at the yardage we yield reveals that we give up most of it early and least in the 4th quarter. Opponents don't convert 2 out of three 3rd downs and are 5/17 on 4th downs including several highlight reel 4th and goal from the one yard line stuffs. They make big plays on big downs. I expect them to negate your QB advantage and win a close low scoring game. Something like 16-13 maybe 20-13 if we get some footing in the hay.

And while you (SIU) have slightly better numbers on 3rd and 4th down conversion percentages, we have better numbers where it REALLY counts - the RED ZONE... We have let opponents inside our own 20 only 11 times this season, while you've let them in 23!

RED ZONE DEFENSE G Scores PCT. TDs (R-P) FGs TurnO
1. South Dakota St. 8 7-11 63.6 7 5-2 0-0 1
4. Southern Illinois 8 17-23 73.9 9 3-6 7-9 3

It will be a great game on Saturday, but if we can make more than double the red zone appearances you do, I think we have a great shot at being crowned conference champs!

Jacked_Rabbit
November 1st, 2009, 04:27 PM
One more interesting stat to note:

SDSU has been the least penalized team in the MVC this year, with 30 penalties for 299 yds. (37.4 yds/g). SIU is the 2nd most penalized team in the conference, with 53 penalties for 529 yds. (66.1 yds/g). In a close, defensive battle, a penalty can extend a drive and become the difference in the game! In a do-or-die type of environment, I have a feeling that discipline will be key in determining the winner...

Thumper 76
November 1st, 2009, 05:19 PM
SIU fans, you have no reason to worry. Like everyone says, we are just a bunch of slow farmboys. Even if the field favors us, our defense really hasn't played anyone as of yet to see if they are really good xsmiley_wix. You need not worry, plus CAS is one of the easiest places for the visiting team to win, so your good there too. I just don't see us competing with the number three team in the nation. You know, just like everyone we've beat says, the only reason we win is because they don't play well against us, and we're just mediocre. You should smoke us, SIU wins 43-10 xthumbsupxxrotatehx

(how was that doc)

SO ILLmatic
November 1st, 2009, 06:12 PM
SDSU fans have all the respect in the world for SIU and what that program has done.

For some reason I have a hard time believing in this statement

jmc_jackrabbit
November 1st, 2009, 06:30 PM

Really? Have you visited our fan board? www.sdsufans.com/board

Check it out and see how much SIU smack you find there. Here's a hint: You'll find confident SDSU fans. But nobody's running SIU down. I've been to salukitalk.net, and you have very respectful fans, too.

Or here's another option: Ask some fans from teams we have played a lot, like NDSU, McNeese, State, Georgia Southern, and Cal Poly what they think about Jackrabbit fans.

Or you can just assume whatever you want based on a couple of posts in this thread.

Thumper 76
November 1st, 2009, 06:51 PM

Just curious as to fans being confident that we can win is a lack of respect? No fan has predicted a blow out by any means that Ive seen, anywhere. Of course you can keep crying about how noone thinks you will win when almost every prediction for who gets the autobid for the MVC has SIU with it. Yep, no respect. Wait is that #3 in the nation a lack of respect to?xrolleyesx

MTBison
November 2nd, 2009, 09:07 AM
What time is the game, and is there anywhere online that I can watch it? Good luck to both teams.

Jacks02
November 2nd, 2009, 09:56 AM
What time is the game, and is there anywhere online that I can watch it? Good luck to both teams.

Gojacks.com has the game, $9.95 I believe. Game is at 1PM. Alot of the times channelsurfing.net has the game as well so may be worth checking there.

Thunderstruck84
November 2nd, 2009, 02:05 PM
Saluki fans: I realize it was only against InSU, but how did McIntosh look? Is he going to be a liability for your passing game or is he on the level with Dieker? SDSU has a very good front 7 but I don't know if I'm sold on their secondary, QB play on SIU's side will be very important.

Buzzcut
November 2nd, 2009, 02:35 PM
Last time I checked, it was the Saluki that hunted the rabbit. Dawgs win!

leatherneck177
November 2nd, 2009, 02:49 PM
I think WIU has that locked up, but we tried our best to take it away from them today.

Unfortunately I agree.

T-Dog
November 2nd, 2009, 02:56 PM
An SDSU win would be interesting for the polls. They would probably jump Elon, App and UNH and definitely over Nova if they lose. However, would the Elon/App winner jump SDSU the following week?

Houndawg
November 2nd, 2009, 03:06 PM
And while you (SIU) have slightly better numbers on 3rd and 4th down conversion percentages, we have better numbers where it REALLY counts - the RED ZONE... We have let opponents inside our own 20 only 11 times this season, while you've let them in 23!

RED ZONE DEFENSE G Scores PCT. TDs (R-P) FGs TurnO
1. South Dakota St. 8 7-11 63.6 7 5-2 0-0 1
4. Southern Illinois 8 17-23 73.9 9 3-6 7-9 3

It will be a great game on Saturday, but if we can make more than double the red zone appearances you do, I think we have a great shot at being crowned conference champs!

Looks like you can be run on in the red zone, and it's easier to pass on us in the red zone, probably why we get more TOs in the red zone. But you're right about whoever gets to the red zone most will win. Here's to hoping for a sunny day and a fast track.xthumbsupx

FargoBison
November 2nd, 2009, 03:37 PM
This definitely is a big game for SDSU. Win and they probably get a home game in round one, lose and off to Missoula they go.

Kemo
November 2nd, 2009, 03:56 PM
An SDSU win would be interesting for the polls. They would probably jump Elon, App and UNH and definitely over Nova if they lose. However, would the Elon/App winner jump SDSU the following week?

I was thinking the same thing, and this is why, imo, the U of Minnesota game has way more meaning to the Jacks seeding than many people think. I think if SDSU can win the MVC and then pull the upset on the Gophers, it would guarantee the Jacks a seed, but if not, I could see the committee seeding a team with more playoff tradition over the Jacks even with the MVC auto-bid at hand.

But enough of looking ahead, as the Jacks are playing (to this point xsmiley_wix) the biggest game in program history this week!

NorCalJack
November 2nd, 2009, 04:26 PM
This definitely is a big game for SDSU. Win and they probably get a home game in round one, lose and off to Missoula they go.

Well I would hope that SDSU would submit a bid on having a home playoff game. This would ensure that SDSU would avoid going to Missoula for the first round.

As a novice to the whole playoff format, how are the home teams determined. I know the top 4 teams are seeded, but how are the other 4 home games determined. Is it geographic or who ever bids the most?

Houndawg
November 2nd, 2009, 04:42 PM
Saluki fans: I realize it was only against InSU, but how did McIntosh look? Is he going to be a liability for your passing game or is he on the level with Dieker? SDSU has a very good front 7 but I don't know if I'm sold on their secondary, QB play on SIU's side will be very important.

Well, obviously it's chnaged the playbook for this week, probably a little to your favor since he doesn't have Dieker's cannon, but not many do. He seems to have good poise and when he's flushed he looks to throw first before he runs, something I like a lot. He's a very good athlete and runner but hasn't played against a defense like yours yet. Good news is that he doesn't have to win it himself. I'll be happy with so-so stats if he has no TOs. I think the plan will be to keep giving DK a chance to break one.

I think the offense that can throw when they want to as opposed to when they have to will win.

Houndawg
November 2nd, 2009, 04:45 PM
Well I would hope that SDSU would submit a bid on having a home playoff game. This would ensure that SDSU would avoid going to Missoula for the first round.

As a novice to the whole playoff format, how are the home teams determined. I know the top 4 teams are seeded, but how are the other 4 home games determined. Is it geographic or who ever bids the most?

It will be seeded so that CAA teams can avoid each other as long as possible. MVC and BSC teams will play each other in the second round.xwhistlex

89rabbit
November 3rd, 2009, 10:05 AM
The D has been big for us all year!

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20091103/SPORTS0202/911030326/1002/sports

Improving defense is key to SDSU's success

Terry Vandrovec • [email protected] • November 3, 2009

YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio - South Dakota State has essentially the same defense that it did last year, returning its top eight tacklers, and yet the results couldn't be more different.

The No. 9-ranked Jackrabbits again boosted most of their stellar stopping stats on Saturday with a 17-3 win at Youngstown State - the third time this season that they haven't allowed a touchdown.

Why the dramatic turnaround?

Adding two defensive assistants with major-college ties - line coach Clint Brown and linebackers coach Shawn Mennenga - has helped, as has another year of on-field experience. But maybe more than that, this group has a certain' je ne sais qua' - a phrase the no-nonsense players would never use. . . . (read more)

Aho_Old_Guy
November 3rd, 2009, 10:50 AM
The D has been big for us all year!

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20091103/SPORTS0202/911030326/1002/sports

Improving defense is key to SDSU's success

Terry Vandrovec • [email protected] • November 3, 2009

YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio - South Dakota State has essentially the same defense that it did last year, returning its top eight tacklers, and yet the results couldn't be more different.

The No. 9-ranked Jackrabbits again boosted most of their stellar stopping stats on Saturday with a 17-3 win at Youngstown State - the third time this season that they haven't allowed a touchdown.

Why the dramatic turnaround?

Adding two defensive assistants with major-college ties - line coach Clint Brown and linebackers coach Shawn Mennenga - has helped, as has another year of on-field experience. But maybe more than that, this group has a certain' je ne sais qua' - a phrase the no-nonsense players would never use. . . . (read more)

It troubles me to admit this (for fear of being confused with a French wine-sipping cheese-eating Elon supporter) but that should be 'je ne sais quoi'

:p

Green and Yellow
November 3rd, 2009, 02:04 PM
It will be seeded so that CAA teams can avoid each other as long as possible. MVC and BSC teams will play each other in the second round.xwhistlex

The CAA may be the best conference in the FCS, but that does not entitle them to any extra privileges. This year the MVFC should get the same percentage of teams in from our Conference 3 out of 9 as the CAA- 4 out of 12. 1 in 3 teams from each. That does not seem like dominance to me. The playoffs are where we will find out which conferences did not deserve an autobid this year and which conferences probably should have received another bid.

Many CAA fans seem to look down on the other conferences and I say we shall see which conference is better. That being said the Valley teams as well as teams from other conferences should not have to play each other until deep into the playoffs.

All I know is that the Valley has some good teams who know how to play the CAA may find this out the hard way.
Bring on the competition.

cowbellnation
November 3rd, 2009, 09:20 PM
Karim the dream concerns me, but after seeing UNI's shifty back, and they way we contained him, I am a little less worried, but still worried. I'll take the Jacks at home.

Jacks 17
SIU 15 (all field goals) xsmiley_wix

ValleyChamp
November 3rd, 2009, 10:19 PM
I predict both teams will wilt under pressure and lose out. UNI is crowned champs again.xcoffeexxcoolx

jmc_jackrabbit
November 4th, 2009, 06:55 AM
The Jacks are pretty salty at home. And this team is much better than the team that gave SIU a pretty tough game last year at their place. Recall that in that one, SDSU was driving for at least a tying field goal when Ryan Berry threw a pick at the SIU 23 with 36 seconds left to seal the Salukis' 3-point win.

No doubt it'll be a hard-fought, close game. Doesn't hurt to be at home for these kinds of games.

SIU 17
SDSU 24

Kemo
November 4th, 2009, 09:44 AM
The Jacks are pretty salty at home. And this team is much better than the team that gave SIU a pretty tough game last year at their place. Recall that in that one, SDSU was driving for at least a tying field goal when Ryan Berry threw a pick at the SIU 23 with 36 seconds left to seal the Salukis' 3-point win.

I remember watching that game on webcast and thinking we were going to win it till that little miss communication between QB and Receiver (receiver broke for a post, QB threw a corner, only the SIU safety was in the area). Though we lost that one, it makes me a lot more confident about our chances at CAS this weekend.

Jacks02
November 4th, 2009, 11:13 AM
I remember watching that game on webcast and thinking we were going to win it till that little miss communication between QB and Receiver (receiver broke for a post, QB threw a corner, only the SIU safety was in the area). Though we lost that one, it makes me a lot more confident about our chances at CAS this weekend.

Southern Illinois also had a kickoff return and interception return for touchdowns in that game. SDSU lead in most statistical categories but the final score, but thats the only one that matters. I think playing at home and with a much tougher defense this year, SDSU can pull it out.

joecooll6
November 4th, 2009, 01:22 PM
This game is 50/50 in my mind. I'll be rooting for both teams in the playoffs though.

Houndawg
November 4th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Southern Illinois also had a kickoff return and interception return for touchdowns in that game. SDSU lead in most statistical categories but the final score, but thats the only one that matters. I think playing at home and with a much tougher defense this year, SDSU can pull it out.

Yeah, we're fast.xconfusedx

We have a much tougher defense this year, too.xnodx

Ten of them started last years game with SDSU.

jmc_jackrabbit
November 4th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Yeah, we're fast.xconfusedx

We have a much tougher defense this year, too.xnodx

Ten of them started last years game with SDSU.

And there you are: The conventional wisdom rears its ugly head. You're fast and we're slow. Our "slow" defense is giving up 11 points and 89 rushing yards a game. And our "slow" offense is putting up 28.8 points. Opponents are getting into the red zone at the breakneck pace of 1.5 times a game against the Jacks.

Gosh, what would happen if the Jacks were "fast" like all the teams we have beaten this year? xconfusedx

Redbird Ray
November 4th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Bunnies win this one in the elements in SD. Brookings in November is the best home field advantage in the conference. I hope there will be a big crowd on hand for this one!

xthumbsupxxthumbsupx

Thunderstruck84
November 4th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Bunnies win this one in the elements in SD. Brookings in November is the best home field advantage in the conference. I hope there will be a big crowd on hand for this one!

xthumbsupxxthumbsupx
Most times that would be the case in November but the weather forecast is looking gorgeous this Saturday for Brookings (and for Fargo too :)):

Saturday's forecast in Brookings (http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/weekend/USSD0041?from=36hr_topnav_business) calls for a high in the low 60s and mostly sunny skies. With that 1PM kick-off it will be at the perfect time of day for some great weather.

Houndawg
November 4th, 2009, 06:20 PM
And there you are: The conventional wisdom rears its ugly head. You're fast and we're slow. Our "slow" defense is giving up 11 points and 89 rushing yards a game. And our "slow" offense is putting up 28.8 points. Opponents are getting into the red zone at the breakneck pace of 1.5 times a game against the Jacks.

Gosh, what would happen if the Jacks were "fast" like all the teams we have beaten this year? xconfusedx

xnonox Dry your eyes, I'm responding to the comment that seems to suggest that a pick six and a KO return somehow aren't "real" TDs. It verges on the Bisonesque.

Kemo
November 4th, 2009, 06:43 PM
xnonox Dry your eyes, I'm responding to the comment that seems to suggest that a pick six and a KO return somehow aren't "real" TDs. It verges on the Bisonesque.

I didn't think that comment suggested they weren't "real" TDs but rather that we are playing better in those areas than we were last year, so hopefully that means we are less likely to allow (and don't misinterpret that as "we beat ourselves and the other team had nothing to do with it") those kind of points in this year's game.

jmc_jackrabbit
November 4th, 2009, 07:09 PM

I get it. Sorry, I thought you were playing the same game everybody else plays before they play us.

Sounds like your defense is a lot like ours in that we also have a bunch of starters back and yet have much improved defensive statistics. Neither team played great defense in last year's SIU/SDSU game.

This was posted over at salukitalk.net. It's a good preview of the matchup:

http://web.me.com/saluki1/Dawg_Tracker/Dawgtracker_Blog/Entries/2009/11/4_Striking_similarities_between_Salukis_and_Jackra bbits.html

sluki86
November 4th, 2009, 07:25 PM
This game should be very close. I just can't believe how good SDSU is in only their second season in DI. Pretty good. But not good enough......

Dawgs 28
Fuzzy Bunnies 20

unicat87
November 4th, 2009, 10:42 PM
A beautiful day shaping up Saturday for the Jacks! SDSU 16, SIU 9. -unicat87 :)

Jacks02
November 5th, 2009, 08:14 AM

Hey, I said you guys made the plays to win the game, don't get all defensive. Both of those plays are also mistakes made by the Jacks, and if they can shore up and avoid the big play this year at home I like our chances.

Houndawg
November 5th, 2009, 08:31 AM
I get it. Sorry, I thought you were playing the same game everybody else plays before they play us.

Sounds like your defense is a lot like ours in that we also have a bunch of starters back and yet have much improved defensive statistics. Neither team played great defense in last year's SIU/SDSU game.

This was posted over at salukitalk.net. It's a good preview of the matchup:

http://web.me.com/saluki1/Dawg_Tracker/Dawgtracker_Blog/Entries/2009/11/4_Striking_similarities_between_Salukis_and_Jackra bbits.html

Not playing that game at all, we were faster than Marshall and we lost. Neither team is going to find scoring as easy as last year even with improved offenses, I'd be surprised if the combined points went over 35.

What length cleats to you guys wear at home?

Houndawg
November 5th, 2009, 08:34 AM
I didn't think that comment suggested they weren't "real" TDs but rather that we are playing better in those areas than we were last year, so hopefully that means we are less likely to allow (and don't misinterpret that as "we beat ourselves and the other team had nothing to do with it") those kind of points in this year's game.

xpeacex Got it.

We're playing much better this year too, starting to get comfortable with the new system and coaches.

89rabbit
November 6th, 2009, 11:53 AM
A little more to think about:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=69144e41448a46579a2772abd68f472c&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckUserId=69144e41448a46579a2772abd68f472c&plckPostId=Blog%3a69144e41448a46579a2772abd68f472c Post%3aeeef5288-fda5-4180-b8ae-8ab8ee0eb8f8&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest

Thunderstruck84
November 7th, 2009, 02:33 PM
No discussion or game thread about this game? Just got in and see it's 27-3 SIU at the half?

WTF Jacks?!?! Are you trying to play like the Bison since we're off this week?

WrenFGun
November 7th, 2009, 02:39 PM
WOW.

Thunderstruck84
November 7th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Even though the lead is pretty insurmountable, it's really important for the Jacks to come out make this somewhat of a game in the 2nd half. They've still got a playoff spot to worry about. They play at Minnesota next week which will be a very tough game for them to win. If they lose that game and this one your looking at an 8-3 squad which doesn't guarantee you the playoffs. A whitewashing at home against SIU would look a lot worse on selection day than a competetive game.

Thunderstruck84
November 7th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Wow, TD SIU. 40 yard TD pass

Karim with 100+ yards already

SIU up 34-3 with 12 minutes left in the 3rd

SumItUp
November 7th, 2009, 03:14 PM
The score to this game has shocked me. xeekx Is someone watching the game? What happened? Saluki domination? Turnovers? Injuries?

gbhmt
November 7th, 2009, 03:15 PM
I'm looking at the offensive stats they just showed and I can't figure out why the score is so lopsided.

Thumper 76
November 7th, 2009, 03:21 PM
The title of this thread was incorrect. This is not a game. The Jacks apparently forgot they had a game today.

Thunderstruck84
November 7th, 2009, 03:52 PM
The score to this game has shocked me. xeekx Is someone watching the game? What happened? Saluki domination? Turnovers? Injuries?

I'm looking at the offensive stats they just showed and I can't figure out why the score is so lopsided.
I haven't been watching very closely either and didn't watch the entire 1st half, but from what I can figure out the Salukis had a great goal line stand from the their own that SDSU got no points off of. Crawford, SDSU's QB had a couple of costly turnovers and Deji Karim has ran wild.

Killsback
November 7th, 2009, 03:58 PM
34-15 SIU the final....automatic bid is ours..and maybe a seed if we can win out.

Thumper 76
November 7th, 2009, 04:02 PM
There was the huge stop on the goalline for SIU. A pick six. A bad snap on the punt that gave the Saluki's the ball on the 6. Just a terrible showing for the jacks. Congrats the the Salukis, they showed they were the much better team today.

Sturgisjeff
November 7th, 2009, 04:02 PM

SDSU forgot to show up.

skinny_uncle
November 7th, 2009, 04:04 PM

The Salukis got a lot of pressure on the Bunny QB. I lost track of the sacks at 6. There were also a couple of INTs one of which went for a TD. The SDSU running game got nowhere against the Dawgs. The Salukis did not make a lot of mistakes.

skinny_uncle
November 7th, 2009, 04:05 PM
SDSU forgot to show up.
They just got beat by a better team.
The Bunnies have nothing to hang their heads about.

Thumper 76
November 7th, 2009, 04:08 PM

Yes they do. The Salukis were the better team, by far. But you can't deny that the Jacks made some ridiculous mistakes today. Total garbage game for them. But not taking anything from SIU. They are the better team, no doubt.

RabidRabbit
November 7th, 2009, 04:09 PM
The Salukis made much of their breaks, and Jacks made lots of uncharacteristically bad mistakes. SALUKI D was stifling in the 1st half in particular. Jacks left a LOT of points off the board, and Dawgs did a very good job of running the ball.

Congrats SIU for the auto-bid! Hope Jacks and Salukis end up in opposite brackets, and play at the end.

Sturgisjeff
November 7th, 2009, 04:09 PM

Yea we do. This was not the Jackrabbit team that has showed up and played this year. This was a team that was not prepared, not ready, and outcoached, outplayed. This rabbit team was just not good today. the salukis were. Stig has got to figure something out because Lennon has his number. As Stig said at halftime. This is, was, embarrassing

WrenFGun
November 7th, 2009, 04:13 PM
As long as SDSU wins their final game after the Minnesota one, they're in fine shape for a playoff berth.

JackTwice
November 7th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Congrats to SIU on the win. They were dominating. SDSU has been taking small steps every year since making the transition. I think top 10 was a bit high for them to be ranked this year (top 15 is better) but with a few more players and more experience this team will be there.

skinny_uncle
November 7th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Congrats to SIU on the win. They were dominating. SDSU has been taking small steps every year since making the transition. I think top 10 was a bit high for them to be ranked this year (top 15 is better) but with a few more players and more experience this team will be there.
The Salukis are a veteran club who has been through the wars. SDSU is surprisingly good for no longer than they have been in the FCS. They may be only a year away from being a contender.

Saluki_man
November 7th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Wow, never expected this result. I expeted a very close game considering the bunnies D was so highly ranked.

da_Bison
November 7th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Congrats Salukis

jmc_jackrabbit
November 7th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Congrats to the MVFC champion Salukis. Wow, what an impressive team. They just put so much pressure on you on both sides of the ball.

I can see SIU going deep into the playoffs. That's the best team I have seen at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium.

RowdyRabbit
November 7th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Impressive win by SIU. It was men vs boys out there, and I didn't even see it comin'! Yep, definately the best team to visit CAS.

siuham
November 7th, 2009, 10:00 PM
I didn't believe the first text update I got when it said 17-3. Not at all what I was expecting today, holy crap. Wish I could have seen it.

RowdyRabbit
November 7th, 2009, 10:03 PM
I didn't believe the first text update I got when it said 17-3. Not at all what I was expecting today, holy crap. Wish I could have seen it.

You would've had a blast. Your d made our O look damn silly. Your O made our D look damn sillier.

mmiller_34
November 8th, 2009, 02:50 AM
Their better was better than our better. That McIntosh QB is going to be a good one.

Houndawg
November 8th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Their better was better than our better. That McIntosh QB is going to be a good one.

Dieker will be the best backup QB in the nation next year..

What to me makes the Salukis year so far all the more impressive to me is that most of them were recruited by Jerry Kill to run a power I and 4-3. To switch from those to the spread and 3-4, and go 9-3 while doing it means you have some athletes.

grizzpaw
November 8th, 2009, 08:25 AM
i watched a little over half of the game and siu was very well prepared. also showed what a little speed can doxlolxxnodx! i think siu should be # 1 xthumbsupx! xpeacex

UNIFanSince1983
November 8th, 2009, 09:04 AM
SIU has impressed. They should have beat Marshall and be undefeated. They have now gone on the road and beat the two other top teams in the conference. To me they aren't #1, because I think Villanova may be. But I think they will definitely be in the conversation for #1 seed, and could make a run.

Houndawg
November 8th, 2009, 11:31 AM
SIU has impressed. They should have beat Marshall and be undefeated. They have now gone on the road and beat the two other top teams in the conference. To me they aren't #1, because I think Villanova may be. But I think they will definitely be in the conversation for #1 seed, and could make a run.

I think that right now Nova and SIU are the top two seeds. SIU is undefeated in FCS play, just like Montana.

Houndawg
November 8th, 2009, 11:32 AM

xoopsx Held Marshall to 76 yards rushing, too.

bcrawf
November 8th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Dale Lennon is one hell of a football coach...

On a side note, he OWNS Mark Farley... :(

Keenan
November 8th, 2009, 12:40 PM
i watched a little over half of the game and siu was very well prepared. also showed what a little speed can doxlolxxnodx! i think siu should be # 1 xthumbsupx! xpeacex

+1

mmiller_34
November 8th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Dale Lennon is one hell of a football coach...

On a side note, he OWNS Mark Farley... :(

He is a great ball coach, he owns Stig too... One thing that didnt sit well with me was late in the third when SIU was up 34-3. He called a HB pass. Logical? Yes.. being up 34-3 you figure the defense is just looking for the run and could get burnt deep by the trick play for an easy score - I get that. Was it necessary? No.

mmiller_34
November 8th, 2009, 01:13 PM
HB pass didn't work by the way. Heh.

Houndawg
November 8th, 2009, 03:18 PM
He is a great ball coach, he owns Stig too... One thing that didnt sit well with me was late in the third when SIU was up 34-3. He called a HB pass. Logical? Yes.. being up 34-3 you figure the defense is just looking for the run and could get burnt deep by the trick play for an easy score - I get that. Was it necessary? No.

Maybe not, but was it necessary for the Jacks to leave the first string in against our freshmen when the game was out of reach? Throw in the towel and we'll call off the dawgs.

Lennon hasn't piled on all year, when he does something like the HB pass, I think he's doing it for the benefit of whoever is in the stands scouting how to stop our ground game. Last year we had weak punt protection and he ran a fake punt in the first game to take the edge off of future punt rushes. Great coaching.