PDA

View Full Version : Bad year for the I-AA vs. I-A comparison

JohnStOnge
December 18th, 2005, 08:19 AM
Cal Davis beat Stanford, but there weren't a lot of high points for I-AA in terms of how it compared to I-A this past year.

I-AA playoff teams were 0-17, including losses to bad Sun Belt (4-7 Troy) and WAC (3-8 San Jose State) teams. Also, the top of I-AA is lower in the Sagarin ratings right now (at 73) than it ended up during any year of the 1998-2004 period available at Sagarin's site (64, 46, 55, 57, 61, 40, 36). So the position of the top of I-AA relative to the I-A distribution is low. The top of I-AA is higher than about the lower third of I-A instead of being at about the middle of I-A like it normally is...at least as far as those particular power ratings are concerned.

There were some respectable performances against BCS league opponents. UNI lost 45-21 to Iowa, Texas State lost 44-31 to Texas A&M, and App State lost 24-0 to LSU. But among playoff teams there was nothing like 2004's Furman/Pitt or UNH/Rutgers games.

Umass74
December 18th, 2005, 08:52 AM
How did we do vs DII teams this year?

JohnStOnge
December 18th, 2005, 09:28 AM

Don't know about I-AA overall but playoff teams were, if I'm counting right, 6-0 against D-IIs. There was one matchup between I-AA and D-II playoff teams with UNI beating Minnesota Duluth 49-14. MD went on to lose 23-12 to North Dakota State in D-II's first round.

Cocky
December 18th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Don't know about I-AA overall but playoff teams were, if I'm counting right, 6-0 against D-IIs. There was one matchup between I-AA and D-II playoff teams with UNI beating Minnesota Duluth 49-14. MD went on to lose 23-12 to North Dakota State in D-II's first round.

ND State wasn't in the D-II playoffs, it was probably North Dakota.

TexasTerror
December 18th, 2005, 09:56 AM

Tuskegee won two games this year against Div I-AA teams. They beat Arkansas Pine-Bluff and Alabama State...

Oh, TxSt pulled out a 32-25 win over Delta State in what was a really close Div II game against one of our elite teams...

And do we need to recall the NAIA St. Francis squad putting it to Indiana St?

straightshooter
December 18th, 2005, 11:30 AM
And how many home games did the 1AAs have against the 1As? It's tough to win on the road, especially when you're usually picked to be a sacrificial lamb anyway. Just look at how hard it is for the road team in conference games in 1AA. This is not an excuse for the 1AA teams. It's just a part of why it's so tough to get wins. Keep in mind too, that many of the matchups are against BCS cinference teams.

JohnStOnge
December 18th, 2005, 12:14 PM
ND State wasn't in the D-II playoffs, it was probably North Dakota.

Yeah, that's right. Typo.

JohnStOnge
December 18th, 2005, 12:26 PM
And how many home games did the 1AAs have against the 1As? It's tough to win on the road, especially when you're usually picked to be a sacrificial lamb anyway. Just look at how hard it is for the road team in conference games in 1AA. This is not an excuse for the 1AA teams. It's just a part of why it's so tough to get wins. Keep in mind too, that many of the matchups are against BCS cinference teams.

Yeah I know. I'm just talking relatively. Through 2004 I-AA playoff teams won 41 percent of their games against I-As, including 18 percent against programs that were in BCS leagues at the end of 2004 and 54 percent against programs that weren't in BCS leagues at the end of 2004. The overwhelming majority of those games through 2004 were road games for the I-AA teams, so even given that they were always on the road going 0-17 against I-As was kind of an off year for this year's playoff contingent.

ravens
December 18th, 2005, 12:44 PM

lol xlolx xlolx xlolx

yeah, and how did we do against D IIIs?

JohnStOnge
December 18th, 2005, 01:50 PM
lol xlolx xlolx xlolx

yeah, and how did we do against D IIIs?

How I-AA did against D-II isn't really a bad question. In 2003 I-AA playoff teams were, if I'm counting right, 7-3 against D-IIs but 0-2 against D-II playoff teams. And that year I-AA playoff teams were 5-10 against I-As.