PDA

View Full Version : Sagarin Ratings & the Patriot League

jimbo65
October 29th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Checked the Sagarin ratings for HC v Fordham (Crusaders 8 1/2 fave on the road). More disturbing is the placement of PL teams , particularly the bottom two. 245 teams are ranked & our bottom two are 239 & 241. According to the comments on this board, one of the two is definitely anti-schoolie and the other believed to share that position. Perhaps the administrators should reassess either the schollie issue or the concept of fielding a fball team. By comparison, the bottom two Ivies Princeton & Dartmouth are 204 & 227. Hardly powerhouses but better than us.

Unfortunately, airing this on our board is "preaching to the choir".

DFW HOYA
October 29th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Checked the Sagarin ratings for HC v Fordham (Crusaders 8 1/2 fave on the road). More disturbing is the placement of PL teams , particularly the bottom two. 245 teams are ranked & our bottom two are 239 & 241. According to the comments on this board, one of the two is definitely anti-schoolie and the other believed to share that position. Perhaps the administrators should reassess either the schollie issue or the concept of fielding a fball team. By comparison, the bottom two Ivies Princeton & Dartmouth are 204 & 227. Hardly powerhouses but better than us.

One should not be so quick to throw stones. It wasn't that long ago Fordham was at the bottom of the list, too.

And I didn't know Bucknell was "definitely anti-schollie".

jimbo65
October 29th, 2009, 08:21 AM
One should not be so quick to throw stones. It wasn't that long ago Fordham was at the bottom of the list, too.
No stone was thrown, nor was one intended to be thrown. Things are what they are. In the case of Gtown, is there any reasonable basis to expect improvement. One way to improve would be to get better players. You can get them through schollies. GTown has no qualms about using schollies for a nationally ranked bball team. The rest of the PL has uses schollies for bball but comes no way near to the performance of Gtown. Apparently at Gtown, there is little interest on the part of the adminstrators to field a competitive fball team.

Franks Tanks
October 29th, 2009, 09:00 AM

Bucknell has perhaps the best all around sports program in the PL. They consistently win the Presidents cup , or whatever it is called, as the best all round team performance.

Their recent football performance has been dissapointing and surpising, but I think Bucknell gets a pass for the time being. They want to have a solid program, and put the resources forward to do so.

RichH2
October 29th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Agree Tanks, Bucknell has best overall athletic program in PL. Their recent lapse in Football more from unfortunate staff choices rather than deemphasizing.
Sagarin and Lehigh to the side, PL doing OK OOC this year. Need some better OOC schedules. LU will have that next year, if not necessarily the best team.

ngineer
October 29th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Agree Tanks, Bucknell has best overall athletic program in PL. Their recent lapse in Football more from unfortunate staff choices rather than deemphasizing.
Sagarin and Lehigh to the side, PL doing OK OOC this year. Need some better OOC schedules. LU will have that next year, if not necessarily the best team.

Yeah, Villanova, UNH, as well as Harvard make it one hell of a tough OOC. I saw on the Sportsnetwork where Lehigh's schedule this year was ranked 2nd toughest in terms of the win-loss records of its opponents.

LBPop
October 29th, 2009, 12:59 PM
In the case of Gtown, is there any reasonable basis to expect improvement.

I think we will learn a lot this coming off-season. It is now a virtual certainty that this senior class will be the third in succession to set the school record for fewest victories in a four year career. The Hoyas would have to win out for them to avoid that dubious "honor". If the University does not make major changes in the program, we will have our answer to your completely reasonable question--that answer would be "No". If significant changes are made, we will have to look carefully at those decisions and then arrive at a conclusion. And I do not expect that even the most loyal of fans will wait another four years to arrive at that conclusion.

carney2
October 29th, 2009, 01:01 PM
And I didn't know Bucknell was "definitely anti-schollie".

Agreed. Best guess by the uninformed (me) is that the Buffaloes will reluctantly and perhaps halfheartedly follow the herd when the time comes - and it will.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 29th, 2009, 01:07 PM
I think we will learn a lot this coming off-season. It is now a virtual certainty that this senior class will be the third in succession to set the school record for fewest victories in a four year career. The Hoyas would have to win out for them to avoid that dubious "honor". If the University does not make major changes in the program, we will have our answer to your completely reasonable question--that answer would be "No". If significant changes are made, we will have to look carefully at those decisions and then arrive at a conclusion. And I do not expect that even the most loyal of fans will wait another four years to arrive at that conclusion.

Does G'Town have a new AD yet? To me, that is a huge factor in this discussion. Muir was what he was for G'Town, but he's gone new and the next guy will be the determining factor on what G'Town athletics should be.

DFW HOYA
October 29th, 2009, 01:16 PM
If the University does not make major changes in the program, we will have our answer to your completely reasonable question--that answer would be "No". If significant changes are made, we will have to look carefully at those decisions and then arrive at a conclusion.

There's a wildcard in this and it is we do not know what promises were made by Bernard Muir to the staff and, in the absence of his replacement, what changes can be expected to take place during that absence.

Fordham
October 29th, 2009, 01:55 PM
There's a wildcard in this and it is we do not know what promises were made by Bernard Muir to the staff and, in the absence of his replacement, what changes can be expected to take place during that absence.
What are the rumors on who they will hire? Is there a shortlist?

Moreso interested if they are people who come from a pure hoops-first/hoops-only mentality or if they'll be open to (or committed to) improving football (not that it will mean much since I thought Muir was supposed to be as close to a football guy as G-town could have hoped for).