PDA

View Full Version : CSN Inside the OVC: Govs Shake Up OVC

CSN-info
October 28th, 2009, 10:57 AM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/skins/andreas_01/img/INSIDETHEOVC.JPG

CSN Inside the OVC: Govs Shake Up OVC
By James D. Horne, CSN Inside the OVC Columnist

There’s no question that Austin Peay’s upset over now unranked but still defending champion Eastern Kentucky was the talk of the league during Tuesday’s OVC coaches’ football conference call.

The Govs (3-4, 2-2 OVC) shocked EKU (4-3, 4-2 OVC) for the first time in 23 games with their 24-20 victory Saturday night.

APSU broke a 22-game losing streak that was the third-longest in the nation to one single opponent. Counting the nine years the teams did not play due to the Govs’ membership in the PFL during its none scholarship years from 1996 to 2007, it had been 32 years since APSU had topped EKU. The last triumph was a 20-17 victory in Richmond on Oct. 1, 1977.

Read more ... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/10/28/csn-inside-the-ovc-govs-shake-up-ovc?blog=5)

Bam
October 28th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Can we delete this thread?

TTUEagles
October 28th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Can we delete this thread?

Like most OVC threads...this one will fade into obscurity soon enough.
But, if some of us have had to suffer in futility with our football programs, you can handle a week or two of it. It will take several seasons before EKU can become an afterthought in the OVC (and they are nowhere near that right now - just one big upset last week), for they've been the kings for decades.
The OVC very well may be a LOT better top to bottom, I'm still not convinced it's become tougher nationally, though. We'll see what this year's champ can do, and I'll be pulling hard for them. But, I since the OVC rep again going on the road to a seeded team - not very favorable for a playoff win.

Bam
October 29th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Like most OVC threads...this one will fade into obscurity soon enough.
But, if some of us have had to suffer in futility with our football programs, you can handle a week or two of it. It will take several seasons before EKU can become an afterthought in the OVC (and they are no where near that right now - just one big upset last week), for they've been the kings for decades.
The OVC very well may be a LOT better top to bottom, I'm still not convinced it's become tougher nationally, though. We'll see what this year's champ can do, and I'll be pulling hard for them. But, I since the OVC rep again going on the road to a seeded team - not very favorable for a playoff win.

Sad, but true. I think EIU has the offense fire power to give SIU a good game, but ole TSU wouldn't give much of a fight.

Buzzcut
October 29th, 2009, 09:03 AM
No team in the OVC will gain any respect until two things happen: (1) we play and WIN over much tougher out of conference FCS competition (don't see playing teams like Western Carolina achieving that); and (2) we win a playoff game. Until those things happen, the OVC will remain an afterthought.

And frankly, I don't see any team in the OVC standing a chance against the Salukis, especially on the road at Carbondale.

Bam
October 29th, 2009, 09:07 AM
With the expanded playoff field next yr., at least the OVC may a shot at winning one?

Buzzcut
October 29th, 2009, 09:18 AM
With the expanded playoff field next yr., at least the OVC may a shot at winning one?

You probably have a greater chance of contracting the Ebola virus, but hey, anything is possible.

TTUEagles
October 29th, 2009, 01:53 PM

But, that (sort of) may be like Morehead St winning the play-in game in the NCAA's this year (basketball). Technically, yes, the OVC won another NCAA tourney game, but a play-in game isn't quite the same.
I'd like to see the OVC win a game in the field of 16 (back talking about football).

I don't see a lot of teams period winning this year in Carbondale, but despite more parity in the league this year, it doesn't shape up well for an OVC playoff win.

This week's games:
I think TECH will win the Sergeant York trophy with a homecoming win over TSU, 27-20.
EKU gets back in the win column against SEMO (who looked really bad last week against TTU) 31 - 14.
EIU 24 - 6 over Murray St.
Jacksonville St. 42 APSU 17

Buzzcut
October 29th, 2009, 03:02 PM
But, that (sort of) may be like Morehead St winning the play-in game in the NCAA's this year (basketball). Technically, yes, the OVC won another NCAA tourney game, but a play-in game isn't quite the same.
I'd like to see the OVC win a game in the field of 16 (back talking about football).

I don't see a lot of teams period winning this year in Carbondale, but despite more parity in the league this year, it doesn't shape up well for an OVC playoff win.

This week's games:
I think TECH will win the Sergeant York trophy with a homecoming win over TSU, 27-20.
EKU gets back in the win column against SEMO (who looked really bad last week against TTU) 31 - 14.
EIU 24 - 6 over Murray St.
Jacksonville St. 42 APSU 17

I am in agreement with your predictions as to all games. SEMO looks horrible this season. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't their only win to NAIA Quincy (who ended up beating Indiana State)?

TTUEagles
October 29th, 2009, 04:47 PM
[/B]

I am in agreement with your predictions as to all games. SEMO looks horrible this season. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't their only win to NAIA Quincy (who ended up beating Indiana State)?

I normally hate making predictions, but, I am continuing to try anything to keep OVC threads/attention alive!

Quincy was SEMO's only win and they won that pretty easily. SEMO does have some talent - their QB was very athletic and ran the ball well. Their receivers dropped a lot and didn't get much after the catches. I was disappointed in how Peoples played against TECH. Their punter, Spada, was pre-season All-America and he had two punts for less than 30 yards...Neither team played well or with much enthusiasm last week (TTU vs SEMO), but I felt like TTU was waaay better anyway. Their Run defense is awful... I wonder if this is Samuel's last year there.

I'm more worried about TSU right now. Can't really figure them out. I have to believe TECH is better, but I keep coming back to TSU beating EKU in Richmond! xeekx

ekufbfan
October 29th, 2009, 07:05 PM
None of you should get too excitied about beating EKU, we just aren't that good . Yes, we are young and I hope that is all that is contributing to the inconsistency we have seen this year. We have not been able to make the big plays we needed to be make to win the games we lost and unfortunately our defense did not make the plays in those loses to TSU and the peay that rescued us in the games we won.
It will not be pretty next Saturday vs UK, wish we were not playing them. Then there is JSU at their place. SEMO and Western Carolina are must wins to keep the consecutive winning seasons "streak" alive.

EKUSteve
October 29th, 2009, 09:36 PM
I normally hate making predictions, but, I am continuing to try anything to keep OVC threads/attention alive!

Quincy was SEMO's only win and they won that pretty easily. SEMO does have some talent - their QB was very athletic and ran the ball well. Their receivers dropped a lot and didn't get much after the catches. I was disappointed in how Peoples played against TECH. Their punter, Spada, was pre-season All-America and he had two punts for less than 30 yards...Neither team played well or with much enthusiasm last week (TTU vs SEMO), but I felt like TTU was waaay better anyway. Their Run defense is awful... I wonder if this is Samuel's last year there.

I'm more worried about TSU right now. Can't really figure them out. I have to believe TECH is better, but I keep coming back to TSU beating EKU in Richmond! xeekx

We turned it over twice and could not stop their running sweep play to the short side in the 4th quarter. Like MSU did, if you control the running game and make them pass a bit, TTU has a chance of beating them. The teams seem to be different each week.

SIUallDay
October 29th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Sad, but true. I think EIU has the offense fire power to give SIU a good game, but ole TSU wouldn't give much of a fight.

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq1/gifsforgrace/Entourage-GTFO.gif

lol @ the bolded.........

**looks forward to 11/21/09**

Buzzcut
October 30th, 2009, 07:47 AM
None of you should get too excitied about beating EKU, we just aren't that good . Yes, we are young and I hope that is all that is contributing to the inconsistency we have seen this year. We have not been able to make the big plays we needed to be make to win the games we lost and unfortunately our defense did not make the plays in those loses to TSU and the peay that rescued us in the games we won.
It will not be pretty next Saturday vs UK, wish we were not playing them. Then there is JSU at their place. SEMO and Western Carolina are must wins to keep the consecutive winning seasons "streak" alive.

Got that right. Randall Cobb is going to be running all over EKU. Let's just hope for the Colonels' sake that they can minimize injuries. As porous as the o-line has been, Pryor could be in big trouble.

Bam
October 30th, 2009, 08:05 AM
The UK game should have taken place in the second week! The late money game is horrible timing.

TTUEagles
October 31st, 2009, 10:09 AM
Ready to go for Homecoming in Cookeville: TSU @ Tennessee TECH!!!
TSU coming off of a bye week where The Tennessesan reports both TSU QB's are healthy and will play. This has me concerned. However, TTU has not played well in the past 2 weeks (L at E Illinois and W vs SE Missouri) and are due for a great game; Hopefully, "we" can limit the run, get a bunch of points early and get the "W" today! It's been a long time since I've been this excited about a TECH game...GO GOLDEN EAGLES!!!

EKUSteve
October 31st, 2009, 10:50 AM
The UK game should have taken place in the second week! The late money game is horrible timing.

I think UK wanted to move it to the second week. My understanding is we did not want to play two FBS in a row like JSU did (Ga Tech, Fla. St).