PDA

View Full Version : Taiwan Jones: EWU needs Field Turf

Screamin_Eagle174
October 27th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Although there aren't enough games to gauge by it, the games TJ has played and common sense would argue that a speed-back would be more effective on Field Turf instead of the sloppy grass field EWU currently has.

So far in the 6 games he's played against FCS competition, 4 of them were on natural grass (EWU and Sac), for an average of 101 yards per game. Counting only home games on our sloppy grass, his numbers dip even lower to 71.3 yards per game. In the 2 games on Field/Sprint Turf (ISU and UM), Jones averaged 156.5 yards per game. I'll be very interested to see how he does this weekend against PSU in Seattle at Qwest Field... the nicest field he'll play on this year.

I've heard rumors that talks inside the Athletic Department have concerned EWU getting RED Field Turf (take that Boise State!) for the betterment of the Program as a whole, and to best utilize Taiwan's amazing speed and talent while we have him. I sure hope they do it soon.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 27th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Here's a draft/mock-up I just did to see what the field might look like. This is going off of the red turf, black endzones, and white numbers/lettering that I heard of.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3500/4051859390_c9fb648d09.jpg

I think it looks pretty frickin' sweet!

Green Laser
October 27th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Although there aren't enough games to gauge by it, the games TJ has played and common sense would argue that a speed-back would be more effective on Field Turf instead of the sloppy grass field EWU currently has.

So far in the 6 games he's played against FCS competition, 4 of them were on natural grass (EWU and Sac), for an average of 101 yards per game. Counting only home games on our sloppy grass, his numbers dip even lower to 71.3 yards per game. In the 2 games on Field/Sprint Turf (ISU and UM), Jones averaged 156.5 yards per game. I'll be very interested to see how he does this weekend against PSU in Seattle at Qwest Field... the nicest field he'll play on this year.

I've heard rumors that talks inside the Athletic Department have concerned EWU getting RED Field Turf (take that Boise State!) for the betterment of the Program as a whole, and to best utilize Taiwan's amazing speed and talent while we have him. I sure hope they do it soon.

Or he could just come home! Sac State is getting turf next season.xsmiley_wix

gbhmt
October 27th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Okay that would be legitimately awesome.

I Bleed Purple
October 27th, 2009, 09:35 PM
I thought they banned off color turf and Boise's is only grandfathered in.

slostang
October 27th, 2009, 10:03 PM
I thought they banned off color turf and Boise's is only grandfathered in.

You can have any color you want as long as it is green with white lines. xsmiley_wix

The NCAA did ban any more schools installing colored turf and Boise State was grandfathered in.

griz8791
October 27th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Ixnay on the red turf. No, no, and again no.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 27th, 2009, 10:36 PM
You can have any color you want as long as it is green with white lines. xsmiley_wix

The NCAA did ban any more schools installing colored turf and Boise State was grandfathered in.

WRONG.

"Blue turf myths

There are many myths about the blue turf. Three of the most prevalent are:

* There is an NCAA rule banning turf colors other than green, but BSU's field is allowed to remain blue under a grandfather clause.
o The NCAA has no such rule; any school may paint its field any color other than green if it wishes. Though painting the end zones is common, and schools have wide latitude in how to do so, until 2009 only BSU had chosen a non-green color for the field itself. NCAA Division II University of New Haven became the second NCAA institution to install and compete on blue turf for the 2009 season.[13]"

BearsCountry
October 28th, 2009, 12:14 AM
You don't want a red field, our old president was the one who got the blue turf installed at Boise State, looked into doing with our field. It was going to be maroon, but being out in the sun would fade it where it would look pink. Same thing would happen to red.

GolfingGriz
October 28th, 2009, 01:06 AM
You don't want a red field, our old president was the one who got the blue turf installed at Boise State, looked into doing with our field. It was going to be maroon, but being out in the sun would fade it where it would look pink. Same thing would happen to red.

Cover it when you aren't using it. Problem solvedxrolleyesx

Screamin_Eagle174
October 28th, 2009, 01:46 AM

Then why hasn't Boise's field turned light blue?

Native
October 28th, 2009, 01:56 AM
Then why hasn't Boise's field turned light blue?

Different colors react differently.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 28th, 2009, 02:20 AM
Different colors react differently.

I'd disagree. I'd say it's more the material and dye that the turf is made of than the color.

grizzpaw
October 28th, 2009, 02:27 AM
i bet red would cost 3 or 4 times what green does.

th0m
October 28th, 2009, 03:44 AM
How so? It's all dye isn't it?

grizzpaw
October 28th, 2009, 07:31 AM
How so? It's all dye isn't it?

just think about! how many vats of dye or areas to dye the material. if you only have one with green being the major color for football fields, cleaning the equipment, setting up for a SINGLE run of red, then having to clean the equipment again so u could go back to green!xcoffeex

griz8791
October 28th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Cover it when you aren't using it. Problem solvedxrolleyesx

No, because every time you pull the cover off the field is still red. Everyone in America should just pour a drink, slowly count to 10, and say "no" to non-green football playing surfaces.

Poker Alan
October 28th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Horrible idea on the red turf, Boise's field sucks now and has always sucked to look at, both on TV and in person -- I can see the only benefit of this being you get 'notoriety' for the novelty you would create. However, I don't believe this would end up being reflected in a positive light. As well, it would be very time/labor intensive to cover the field when not being used. There are some football traditions that should be left alone, this is one.

JMUNJ08
October 28th, 2009, 10:33 AM

I didn't know the sun shines in the state of Washington. All I ever hear of is rainxlolx

Problem solved as there is no fading dilema!

Otherwise a deep red would be coolxthumbsupx

Montanan
October 28th, 2009, 11:12 AM
just think about! how many vats of dye or areas to dye the material. if you only have one with green being the major color for football fields, cleaning the equipment, setting up for a SINGLE run of red, then having to clean the equipment again so u could go back to green!xcoffeex

they, turf manufactures, run different color production runs for end zone names/logos so this really shouldn't be a cost problem for them. How bout white with red highlightsxsmiley_wix.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 28th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I didn't know the sun shines in the state of Washington. All I ever hear of is rainxlolx

Problem solved as there is no fading dilema!

Otherwise a deep red would be coolxthumbsupx

It only rains on the West side of the Cascades. xthumbsupx

I Bleed Purple
October 28th, 2009, 01:40 PM
It only rains on the West side of the Cascades. xthumbsupx

I was going to say, if Eastern Washington is anything like Eastern Oregon, than rain really isn't a problem.

EdubAlum
October 28th, 2009, 03:57 PM
all this Boise State hate needs to stop! I'm an avid bronco fan, I lived 2 miles from campus for 10 years. Also EWU is putting in a Jumbotron next, then turf, then building the other side of the stadium...I expect it to all be done in about the next 50 to 60 years.....grrrrrrrr