PDA

View Full Version : SWAC reprimands Grambling’s Broadway for comments on officiating; read what he said

thederisoreport
October 27th, 2009, 06:20 PM
10-27-2009 06:17 PM

The Southwestern Athletic Conference reprimanded Grambling coach Rod Broadway this afternoon for his comments regarding the officiating during the Tigers’ Oct. 10 football game against Alabama A&M.“We hold our coaches and administrators to the highest standards and we expect them to conduct themselves in a way which brings creditability and professionalism to the conference,” SWAC [...]http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/TheDerisoReport/~4/uLDc695ugpQ

More... (http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/TheDerisoReport/~3/uLDc695ugpQ/)

TexasTerror
October 27th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Coaches should know better. You can't talk about officials to the media and if you do, you are going to get slapped on the wrist OR possibly a fine!

mikebigg
October 27th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Coaches should know better. You can't talk about officials to the media and if you do, you are going to get slapped on the wrist OR possibly a fine!

I'm sure he was aware of this...he wanted it expressed via the media regardless of fines or repercussions. Broadway knew exactly what he was doing and I applaud him for it.

TxState_GO_CATS!
October 27th, 2009, 07:36 PM
If coaches are subject to public criticism, coaches ought to be able to exercise their right to free speech as well. What's so wrong with having an opinion?

Maybe it's a big conspiracy for the NCAA. Think about it...officials all over the country are making "mistakes" and screwin up games (i.e. the SEC).

I think that if a coach criticizes an official and is fined, the coach's/school's money should be refunded if the said official is found to have made an error! I can't believe the money still belongs to the NCAA/conference if they admit they're wrong. Can you imagine if all our industries (restaurant, motor, banking, credit card, etc...) operated in this method? "We're wrong, but we're keeping your money." There would be a lot of pissed off people!

Ref screws up important call --> Coach complains and is fined --> NCAA/conferences make more money and saves face by occasionally admitting that their hired officials were wrong and give the whole "we're sorry" spiel that the losing team could care less about. It would be my hope that the conferences are using this "fine" money to develop more accurate officials or, at the very least, ways to call a more accurate game (whether it be revising instant replay rules or whatever).

Now do I actually believe such a blatant conspiracy exists? No...

TexasTerror
October 28th, 2009, 07:36 AM
We've seen conferences reprimand officials, suspend them, say they were wrong in public, etc.

There's a process in place to complain about officiating and I am sure the conference offices get tapes and hear from coaches on a regular basis.

Sure, Broadway knew what he was getting at, but if the conference wants to run themselves in a professional manner, they'll fix the problem through whatever means they can.

SWAC officiating across all sports is bottom of the barrel. In sports in which conferences share officials (i.e. baseball, hoops, etc) - the SWAC is not even in the mix with the conferences in their region (i.e. Big 12, C-USA, Sun Belt and SLC share officials in basketball under Dale Kelley and in women's hoops, Sally Bell). As football goes that way, the SWAC has once more been left behind.

The league needs to make a better effort.

SUjagTILLiDIE
November 1st, 2009, 08:00 PM
We've seen conferences reprimand officials, suspend them, say they were wrong in public, etc.

There's a process in place to complain about officiating and I am sure the conference offices get tapes and hear from coaches on a regular basis.

Sure, Broadway knew what he was getting at, but if the conference wants to run themselves in a professional manner, they'll fix the problem through whatever means they can.

SWAC officiating across all sports is bottom of the barrel. In sports in which conferences share officials (i.e. baseball, hoops, etc) - the SWAC is not even in the mix with the conferences in their region (i.e. Big 12, C-USA, Sun Belt and SLC share officials in basketball under Dale Kelley and in women's hoops, Sally Bell). As football goes that way, the SWAC has once more been left behind.

The league needs to make a better effort.

You have a fetish for the SWAC lol.