PDA

View Full Version : Stony Brook at Gardner-Webb

elcid83
October 26th, 2009, 09:03 AM
The Seawolves [4-4; 3-0] pack the plane and fly to Boiling Springs, NC for a Homecoming matchup with the Gardner-Webb Runnin' Bulldogs [5-2; 2-0] on Saturday at 1:30. The only mutual opponent in the schedule to date is VMI [GWU 27 - VMI 23; SB 27 - VMI 20]. In the conference, GWU has also beaten Charleston Southern while SB has beaten PC and Coastal Carolina. Statistically, GWU leads the Big South in 6 Team Rankings [Passing O, Total O, Scoring O, Turnover Margin [also #2 in the Country], Sacks, Tackles for Loss]. SB leads in Pass Efficiency D, Kickoff Returns, and Passing Efficiency. SB's QB, Michael Coulter leads the Big South in Passing Efficiency [140.43] and is closely followed by GWU's Stan Doolittle in 2nd place with a rating of 130.58. On the Total O ranking, these players flip-flop with Doolittle #1 with 235.29 YPG compared to Coulter's 203.75. Obviously, we have 2 very evenly matched teams here. GWU gets the nod for home field advantage but this will be negated if turnovers and penalties get out of hand. Special teams will need to be clicking as well in order for Bulldogs to prevail. Clearly, this is the Big South Game of the Week [unless you pull for another team].

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs096.snc3/16338_1177416309572_1053041569_30475441_6924663_n. jpg

SumItUp
October 26th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Definitely the game of the week in the Big South.

jcmanson
October 26th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Yes, big game. Looking forward to the outcome. The winner of this game sets themselves up nicely for a run at LU for the championship.

Sly Fox
October 26th, 2009, 09:31 AM
I guess we'll learn a great deal about both teams this Saturday. Really looking forward to this one.

Redwyn
October 26th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Should be a fun game!

Seawolf97
October 26th, 2009, 09:51 AM
This should be good one. SBU has to control the turnovers and penalities also-that has been
a problem all year. Couldnt ask for a better matchup though !

GridFan
October 26th, 2009, 10:17 AM
ElCid,

Good photo sums up that Saturday game at G-W against South Virginia. Not a white shirt in the photo and some visitors legs are all that are visible as one of the tackles stands and looks downfield after knocking him on his back.

That was a mismatch. Thank you Tennessee Tech. ;)

This weekend's game with SBU will be close for sure. The 'Dogs must continue to protect the football to win the game. If they don't, it could be a long, long day for the crowd in attendance.

My hope is that the semi-open date Gardner-Webb just had allowed them to heal some of those bruises and aches that have hampered the defense for the past month.

ToTheLeft
October 26th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Go Seawolves. Nothing but class and good discussion from SBU fans, and look forward to the game on the Island late this year. Wish I could make it up there for that game... I might try to.

Uncle Buck
October 26th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Wow, big game for SBU, hope they have a webcast i can check out since my weekly ulcer giving Hofstra team has a bye.

OLDLCOACH111
October 26th, 2009, 12:28 PM
This games is going to be big for both teams... Winner is in the driver seat for a hopeful championship game showdown...

GWU escaped a close game last year against the Seawolves and I know because of that, Stony Brook has a bad taste in their mouth and are coming down to make a statement...

Game of the week definitely!!

knucklehead
October 26th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Is this one on TV anywhere? Would love to see this showdown.

g-webb1994
October 26th, 2009, 10:38 PM
G-W historically has played well on Homecoming. Any SB fans on here heading down for the game?

kirkblitz
October 27th, 2009, 12:35 AM
i want which ever team will help lu into the playoffs to win

ToTheLeft
October 27th, 2009, 06:51 AM

It's really six one way, half a dozen the other in terms of our slim playoff chances. We just need to beat both of them, that's what would help the most. xpeacex

knucklehead
October 27th, 2009, 07:56 AM

I'm trying to decipher if this is sarcasm or sincerity. Either way, our chances are slim at best.

elcid83
October 27th, 2009, 12:48 PM
I'm trying to decipher if this is sarcasm or sincerity. Either way, our chances are slim at best.

I'd have to guess there's a little sarcasm at play here. With all of their money and resources, Liberty hardly needs a helping hand from another Big South team.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs096.snc3/16338_1177419149643_1053041569_30475469_1188325_n. jpg

elcid83
October 30th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Final update for the GWU - Stony Brook game. It looks like the weather in Boiling Springs will cooperate with temps in the 60's and rain not expected until well after the game is over. Should be a good crowd on hand for the Homecoming festivities. I'll probably have to listen to a bunch of crazed tar heel fans bragging about beating a very inconsistent Va.Tech team. But, I'll get to eat some good BBQ while I'm hearing it. Safe travels to everyone coming to the game.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs206.snc1/7334_1164687791367_1053041569_30446151_1326879_n.j pg

g-webb1994
October 30th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Getting a bit hopeful on that forecast elcid.....depends on who you listen to in Charlotte, some say like you did, the rain holds off until dark, some are saying the rain starts at daybreak....regardless, bring your raingear for sure......

EagleDawg
October 30th, 2009, 11:09 AM
ElCid83 - In addition to your other considerable personal talents (grill master, photographer, etc.) I guess we can add clairvoyant. Yes you will get to eat good BBQ and yes you will hear about the Tar Heels prior to the GW vs Stony Brook tailgate. See you guys tomorrow and safe travels.

Seawolf97
October 30th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Wow, big game for SBU, hope they have a webcast i can check out since my weekly ulcer giving Hofstra team has a bye.

It will be broadcast live on 90.1 FM WUSB starting at 1:`5 pm . The GWU fans are lucky to have this game at home on Homecoming xthumbsupx

GridFan
October 31st, 2009, 09:59 AM
Seawolf, it's actually one of four homecoming games for G-W this year. at VMI, at Buffalo and next week at Coastal.

The way the league schedule is set up, most homecoming games come against league foes. Leads to some disappointed homecoming crowds from time to time as a result.

Sly Fox
October 31st, 2009, 01:36 PM
7-0 G-Dub closing in on the half.

SumItUp
October 31st, 2009, 02:06 PM
Gardner Webb 14
Stony Brook 7

Halftime

Seawolf97
October 31st, 2009, 04:47 PM
And the Final was SBU 24 GWU 14. Big comeback for the Seawolves. Almost what GWU did to us last season when we lead at halftime . Good game:)

g-webb1994
October 31st, 2009, 10:37 PM
Congrats to SBU......go give Liberty hell.;)

Libertine
October 31st, 2009, 11:52 PM
Congrats to SBU......go give Liberty hell.;)

Um, G-W plays Liberty before SBU does.

Bull Fan
November 1st, 2009, 04:58 AM
It will be broadcast live on 90.1 FM WUSB starting at 1:`5 pm . The GWU fans are lucky to have this game at home on Homecoming xthumbsupx

LOL, obviously ;)

Congrats on the win....

EagleDawg
November 1st, 2009, 06:20 AM
Congrats to the SeaWolves on a gritty win and a great play call by the their headcoach on a 4th and 3 with less than 3 minutes to go throwing into the endzone for the game clinching score from the 17 or so yardline. Great catch by the SeaWolves receiver on that one digging the ball from off the turf and he laid out to do it. Good coverage by the GW LB but a better play by the receiver.

GW who has all season been outstanding in turnover margin caught the fumble bug yesterday coughing the ball up 4 times against only 1 miscue by the Seawolves. Good coaching by SBU on standing the runner up and then others ripping the ball out. GW had several opportunities to extend their first half lead only to stop drives with those turnovers. In the 2nd half once SBU grabbed a 3 pt. lead they were able to do what they hadn't up to that point and that was run the ball effectively to chew up clock. As a fan watching the game you could see and sense that GW's best play was not fully taken advantage of in the first half and SBU stayed within in striking distance and once SBU took the lead they were mostly able to control play. Congrats again to SBU and good luck the rest of the season.

GW needs to shake off the disappointment of this loss, get back after it this week in practice and go get a W at Coastal next week. There's a lot of good football that can still be played by winning games against Coastal and LU, teams the Dawgs have struggled with in the recent past. At 5-3. at least to finish 7-4 if not 8-3 would be a good improvement over the last couple of seasons. Go get it Dawgs.

SDFS
November 1st, 2009, 08:25 AM
Nice win Stony Brook sets up a big game with Liberty.. I like your chances.