PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Week #9 Picks (Oct 31st)

The Cats
October 25th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Week 8 is in the books, no big surprises (other than the amount of some lopsided scores & Furman's loss to El Cid). Looks like the SoCon now has the Big Two......

Time to pick week 9, Halloween football in the SoCon.....

12 noon
Appalachian State at Furman

1:00 pm
Samford at The Citadel

1:30 pm
Elon at Wofford

2:00 pm
Western Carolina at UT Chattanooga

ElonFirefighter
October 25th, 2009, 05:37 PM
App
Samford
Elon
UTC

PhoenixMan
October 25th, 2009, 05:40 PM
App
Elon
El Cid
WCU

The Cats
October 25th, 2009, 05:40 PM
App
Samford
Elon
UTC

2 out of 4 ......... xcoffeex

blueballs
October 25th, 2009, 05:53 PM
I am tempted to pick GSU over "Bye" but I'm not sure the offense can score enough points to win... alas, they can do no worse than a tie.xrolleyesx

BossEagle
October 25th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I am tempted to pick GSU over "Bye" but I'm not sure the offense can score enough points to win... alas, they can do no worse than a tie.xrolleyesx

Aren't you quite the comedianxcoffeex

The Cats
October 25th, 2009, 06:24 PM
App
Elon
El Cid
WCU

I think you got 'em....

12 noon

Samford at The Citadel

Elon at Wofford

Reign of Terrier
October 25th, 2009, 06:32 PM
App
el Cid
Wofford (in a thriller)
UTC

PhoenixSupreme
October 25th, 2009, 07:19 PM
App
El Cid
Elon
UTC

yay!

kdinva
October 25th, 2009, 07:28 PM
App. St. 33; Furman 21
The Citadel 26; Samford 20
Elon 31; Wofford 23
UTC 28; WCU 14

asknoquarter21
October 25th, 2009, 07:36 PM
App-could be a trap game for app if they lose focus after a good win against a GSU team that wasn't at their best. Furman will be playing for their coaches job and season if the season isn't already lost. App by 7

El Cid-Only once this season has EL Cid not been their best at home. Samford still has a struggling offense and I think Samford struggles to score again. El Cid by 3.

Elon- Curious to see if the Elon meltdown comes into place this season. I am looking forward to the big one on Nov 14th and I think this game could be a blowout if wofford plays score for score, but they are improving and they might just be able to control the clock, but I still think the young D folds for the Terriers. Elon by 10+.

UTC- battle of the rebuilding programs. Wagner has an up hill battle still ahead of him as it is still tough to recruit at WNC with not too much to offer. UTC Has a quicker turn around, and I think will win this game. Tough battle for both teams as this should be marked as a W for both teams. UTC by 2.5.

DX Man
October 25th, 2009, 08:47 PM

Samford at The Citadel

Elon at Wofford

B&G
October 25th, 2009, 08:59 PM
12 noon
Appalachian State at Furman: ASU 31-26 -- There are a lot of factors against ASU. Furman will have their "white out", Bobby Lamb will go all out to try to win this one in order to save his job, and the Paladins will be angry after the Citadel loss. Ultimately ASU's offense is clicking too well right now. App wins... but not without some drama.

Samford at The Citadel: The Citadel 27-14 -- Possibly the 2nd best homefield advantage in the SoCon right now belongs to The Citadel. They're just a different team at the house.

Elon at Wofford: Elon 39-21 -- Wofford is decimated by injuries and will not have an answer for the Elon aerial attack.

Western Carolina at UT Chattanooga : Mocs 27-18 (Both teams have already peaked this season. Hopefully they can build off their successes for the future)

CID1990
October 25th, 2009, 09:27 PM
12 noon
Appalachian State at Furman: ASU 31-26 -- There are a lot of factors against ASU. Furman will have their "white out", Bobby Lamb will go all out to try to win this one in order to save his job, and the Paladins will be angry after the Citadel loss. Ultimately ASU's offense is clicking too well right now. App wins... but not without some drama.
Samford at The Citadel: The Citadel 27-14 -- Possibly the 2nd best homefield advantage in the SoCon right now belongs to The Citadel. They're just a different team at the house.

Elon at Wofford: Elon 39-21 -- Wofford is decimated by injuries and will not have an answer for the Elon aerial attack.

Western Carolina at UT Chattanooga : Mocs 27-18 (Both teams have already peaked this season. Hopefully they can build off their successes for the future)

Hit their defensive line in the mouth and they fold like origami.

CID1990
October 25th, 2009, 09:29 PM
ASU by 14

The Citadel (It's our house) by 14

Elon by 9

UTC by 10

CID1990
October 25th, 2009, 09:32 PM
App-could be a trap game for app if they lose focus after a good win against a GSU team that wasn't at their best. Furman will be playing for their coaches job and season if the season isn't already lost. App by 7

El Cid-Only once this season has EL Cid not been their best at home. Samford still has a struggling offense and I think Samford struggles to score again. El Cid by 3.

Elon- Curious to see if the Elon meltdown comes into place this season. I am looking forward to the big one on Nov 14th and I think this game could be a blowout if wofford plays score for score, but they are improving and they might just be able to control the clock, but I still think the young D folds for the Terriers. Elon by 10+.

UTC- battle of the rebuilding programs. Wagner has an up hill battle still ahead of him as it is still tough to recruit at WNC with not too much to offer. UTC Has a quicker turn around, and I think will win this game. Tough battle for both teams as this should be marked as a W for both teams. UTC by 2.5.

You must be referring to Presbyterian (you would be correct) because we were playing at our best against ASU. Bart was still gimpy and Miguel had just not jelled yet. I'd love to have that one back, but then TBH I would rather have WCU back if I had my druthers.

longtimemocfan
October 25th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Appy State- 35
Furman-28

Samford-21
The Citadel-24

Elon-34
Wofford-27

WCU-14
UTC-28

ASU_MBA
October 26th, 2009, 01:16 AM
App State- 31
Furman- 28

Samford- 17
The Citadel- 28

Elon- 35
Wofford- 31

WCU- 21
UTC- 35

ElSissy
October 26th, 2009, 02:19 AM
ASU over Furwoman
The Citadel over Samford
Elon over Wofford
UTC over WCU

AshevilleApp2
October 26th, 2009, 05:31 AM

Bye scored three touchdowns on us. xnodx

jus10asu
October 26th, 2009, 06:10 AM
App
el Cid
Wofford (in a thriller)
UTC

I'm goin with the thriller as well.

OL FU
October 26th, 2009, 06:13 AM
12 noon

After last weekend is there any question. The only real hope is that FU was looking forward and ASU gave it all up on Black Saturday. I don't think either is the case. Hopefully FU's defense can look a little more like they looked against Elon but after a red-shirt freshman Citadel QB ran all over and around us I don't see us stopping Edwards very often. ASU by 17

Samford at The Citadel

Home Team Wins by 10.

Elon at Wofford

Elon by 10

Chatt by 7

appmaj
October 26th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Appalachian State
Samford
Elon
Chattanooga (Close one)

Woof
October 26th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Appalachian State at Furman- Anything can and will happen in this rivalry game, but Appy's O is clicking too well and just too much for the Barneys. Appy 38-21

Samford at The Citadel- I didnt' see the FU-Cit game, but am guessing the furples were not ready for the playbook Starks would use. Sammy at least now has a week of film, but El Cid is tough at home and takes the battle of the bull-puppies. 28-17.

Elon at Wofford- My heart wants to pick the stunner so bad it hurts, but our 2nd half collapse a/g WCU leaves some doubts, coupled with our complete inability to defend the pass...Flaming Pigeons get revenge for the wood-shedding we put on them at home last year.xasswhipx Another Halloween nightmare for our D. 42-28.

Western Carolina at UT Chattanooga. Only thing on the line here is pride. Going with the Mocs at home. 35-21.

phoenixphanatic21
October 26th, 2009, 08:53 AM
App by 7
El Cid in a close one
Elon in a surprisingly close one
UTC by 10

OLDMAIN80
October 26th, 2009, 08:54 AM
APP
EL CID
WOFFORD (by two scores)
MOCS

BlackNGold
October 26th, 2009, 09:14 AM
12 noon
Appalachian State - 45 at Furman - 20

Samford - 31 at The Citadel - 35

Elon - 30 at Wofford 32 - More wishful Thinking than Anything :D

Western Carolina - 21 at UT Chattanooga 28

appirishmen
October 26th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Appalachian State at Furman- If the defense shows up again, we will win by 2 tds, if they dont, it will be close. i say we win by 3. our offense is proving hard to stop with over 600 yards the past 3 games.

The Citadel

Elon- As much as i would like to pick Woof. i just dont think they can do it this year. but they will keep it closer than people think.

UT Chattanooga

biggie
October 26th, 2009, 09:50 AM
App vs Fur - Won't guess a score, but hope that the D continues from last week and O is the same.

El Cit slows down a little on O against a little better D, but still wins being at home.
Samford-17
The Citadel-21

Wofford has still lost too much to compete much in this game.
Elon-42
Wofford-17

UTC looks better, because of the opponent this week.
WCU-10
UTC-24

Seven Would Be Nice
October 26th, 2009, 10:19 AM
App
El Cit
Elon
UTC

Cit vs Sam is the only close game. the rest will be blow outs.

JMU Newbill
October 26th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Elon better show up this week.

Saint3333
October 26th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Looking for Elon to have a let down game here, but Wofford's depth and pass defense just isn't good enough to defeat Elon.

Waco Kid
October 26th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Apps over Furman- FU just doesn't have the firepower to stick with ASU

The Citadel over Samford- Samford has no offense and El Cid is always tough at home

Elon over Wofford- Wofford's secondary won't be able to stop the Elon passing game

UTC over WCU- Gotta go with the home team in a close one

terrierbob
October 26th, 2009, 02:30 PM
We're too young, and too beat up; hope we can keep it within two scores.

Elon Fightin' Christians
October 26th, 2009, 02:50 PM
I'm surprised at how many people are picking Wofford. Is this just wishful thinking and hoping that Elon will lose or do that many people think Wofford will beat Elon ?? or both??

I think Elon's "trap" or 'let-down" game will be @ Samford the week after the APP ST game at home. That game really scares me for a lot of reasons.

biggie
October 26th, 2009, 02:52 PM
I think its more likely that Elon is looking ahead this week. Probably nothing to worry about at Samford, especially if Elon comes there with a loss. But still don't think Woff has enough even if Elon is looking ahead this week.

ASUG8
October 26th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I think the Terrierists can keep it close through the third with a late pullaway by the birds.

No prediction on ASU/FU - I don't want the jinx, especially in person. xoopsx

B&G
October 26th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Honest question to an Elon fan:

Do you guys have a running game? I noticed that most of Shuman's big games came against the likes of Davidson & Presbyterian. There are a lot of 3 ypc type games for him this season. I would think that with Elon's passing attack that it would open up some big gains for the run. Is that a concern or do the stats lie?

The Cats
October 26th, 2009, 03:20 PM
I'm surprised at how many people are picking Wofford.

You shouldn't be.

GATA
October 26th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Georgia Southern is the least talented team in the Southern Conference. It's a miracle we've won 4 games.

Glorified high school team.

Phoenix87
October 26th, 2009, 04:13 PM

Do you guys have a running game? I noticed that most of Shuman's big games came against the likes of Davidson & Presbyterian. There are a lot of 3 ypc type games for him this season. I would think that with Elon's passing attack that it would open up some big gains for the run. Is that a concern or do the stats lie?

Elon has a run game for sure. You have to look beyond Shuman too though, because we run a RB by committee so depending on who we play either Shuman, Harris, or Newsome gets the bulk of the load. Overall we have a strong group of RB and an extremely deep group of WR's. This is the 3rd straight season the O-line has played together.

Last year against App St we ran for 165 yards as a group and Newsome ran for 118 yards. Our O-line gave App St d-line fits and our run game is what kept the game close; it opened up the passing game.

As far as the Wofford game is concerned, I am sure the team has had this game circled on the schedule from the day the schedule was released. We played horrible last year and got embarrassed at home. The team will be playing with a chip on its shoulder. I highly doubt the team will be overlooking Wofford. This is the most focused team I have seen over the past three seasons. They have seemed to take each week a game at a time. We were young the past couple years; the maturity and experience of our players is finally starting show.

elonfan06
October 26th, 2009, 04:42 PM

Simply, Yes and a lot more so than we have had in years past. I will admit that our passing game sets up our running game. We have been a lot more balanced the last two games (vs. UTC Pass 230/ Rush 158 and vs. Cit Pass 276/ Rush 267). We also use a lot of screen passes so the backs are getting a lot of touches on short stuff that act almost like rushes.

B&G
October 26th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Here is the game by game breakdown...

vs Davidson: 37-186, 5.02 ypc
vs Presbyterian: 51-268, 5.25 ypc
vs Wake Forest: 45-132, 2.93 ypc
vs Ga Southern: 38-85, 2.23 ypc
vs Furman: 27-49, 1.81 ypc
vs The Citadel: 51-267, 5.23 ypc
vs Chattanooga: 38-158, 4.16 ypc

... it looks like you guys went through a stretch where you really weren't running the ball very well. I was just wondering if that was a phase or not. If a team were to slow down Elon's passing game, then I would be concerned with these numbers.

It also looks like Elon has been winning the turnover battle every game. That goes a long way toward their success. It will be interesting to see how the defense fares against Wofford's option attack. That turnover supremacy may once again be the difference. However I don't think Wofford has the DB's to hinder Hudgins.

B&G
October 26th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Simply, Yes and a lot more so than we have had in years past. I will admit that our passing game sets up our running game. We have been a lot more balanced the last two games (vs. UTC Pass 230/ Rush 158 and vs. Cit Pass 276/ Rush 267). We also use a lot of screen passes so the backs are getting a lot of touches on short stuff that act almost like rushes.

That concerns me as an ASU fan. Our defense has been vulnerable to that this season. Hopefully the recent change in philosophy helps them to stop that as they are supposedly playing more aggressive/instinctive.

PhoenixMan
October 26th, 2009, 05:07 PM

... it looks like you guys went through a stretch where you really weren't running the ball very well. I was just wondering if that was a phase or not. If a team were to slow down Elon's passing game, then I would be concerned with these numbers.

It also looks like Elon has been winning the turnover battle every game. That goes a long way toward their success. It will be interesting to see how the defense fares against Wofford's option attack. That turnover supremacy may once again be the difference. However I don't think Wofford has the DB's to hinder Hudgins.

In the games where the rushes were down (except Wake, when nothing worked) the passing game was humming. Furman for example......1.81 ypc, but Hudgins caught a career high 16 passes (for over 200 yds). Dual threat, ground or air. Not to mention the defense is STILL number one in the FCS. I'm not saying we are going to beat anybody, or make a run in the playoffs. We have to make the playoffs first. But, this is a confident and talented football team.

catamount man
October 26th, 2009, 07:45 PM
ASU 34-17 (Lamb's fate is sealed)
Citadel 28-10
Elon 45-24
UTC 14-10 (hate to type that but WCU is 2-5 since 1995 in the choo choo city, wins came in '01 and '05. I have personally sat through blowout losses in '03 and '07 over there and it was LOUSY UTC teams at that. I feel El Cid may wind up being our only win in '09. Again, hope they prove me wrong. Close, but Mocs win.)

Ivytalk
October 26th, 2009, 08:02 PM
App
El Cid
Elon
UTC

yay!

What he said!xthumbsupx

seantaylor
October 26th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Chris Hatcher will be out schemed by BYE. Totally outcoached again.

phoenix3
October 28th, 2009, 08:14 AM

Possibly one of the most improved aspects of our offense this year is tuning the gameplan to fit the opposing D. That and the willingness to make dramatic changes depending on what's working. I guess the tongue in cheek answer for the "Does Elon really have a running game?", is it depends on who we're playing. One very nice addition I've seen this year is the ability of Shuman and Harris to catch the pass in the flats or over the middle coming out of the backfield. I guess it's nice to finally have the weapons to alter the gameplan to suit the competition.

ElonPride
October 28th, 2009, 08:50 AM

That three game stretch was also a point when Shuman was injured and coming off an injury (I think sustained at WFU). But he came back strong in the game against El Cid rushing for 167 yards.

and btw, Elon only had a net of 68 yards rushing against Wake. Wake was the team with 132 :(

Biff
October 28th, 2009, 09:40 AM
That three game stretch was also a point when Shuman was injured and coming off an injury (I think sustained at WFU). But he came back strong in the game against El Cid rushing for 167 yards.

and btw, Elon only had a net of 68 yards rushing against Wake. Wake was the team with 132 :(

I think Shuman's running in that game can be credited to your Defense. We had no first downs in the first half and very few in the second, maybe 5. Not hard to run the ball on worn down defense.

The Cats
October 28th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Chris Hatcher will be out schemed by BYE. Totally outcoached again.

Bye can be a pretty tough opponent......

SpeedkingATL
October 28th, 2009, 07:41 PM
ASU and Elon are both looking at trap games against teams that will give maximum effort. ASU should beat Furman, but try are always tough for the Apps especially on the road. ASU by 7.

Elon should beat Wofford but is this the week they choke on a game they should win? Elon's D should be able to keep Wofford from controlling the clock and Riddle should have a big game against that secondary. Elon by 10

Chatty has a better QB than WCU and is aparently further along in the rebuilding program. Chatty by 6.

Citdogs are the team Sybil of the SoCon and the good one will show up at home. Citdogs over Samdogs by 3.

GSU will hold Bye Week scoreless this week after a defensive meltdown last week.

I hope for the sake of the SoCon, Elon and ASU remain undefeated in the SoCon to set up the title tilt game.xthumbsupx

MaxASU'81
October 28th, 2009, 11:00 PM
ASU by 21 over Furman....the defense finds its' legs.
Elon rolls by 24
UTC by 13
Citadel by 2

Elon could be looking ahead and listening to the scores announced during the game! Careful....Wofford is not bad....hurt yes....bad no!

kdinva
October 31st, 2009, 09:04 AM
Maybe not the best place to ask this; but what has happened to the URL link for the Charleston Post and Courier?

apppackdad
October 31st, 2009, 09:20 AM
APP-10 or less
ELON- close, 6 or 7
CID-at home 14+
CHATT- lets out years of frustration,21

GreatAppSt
October 31st, 2009, 10:14 AM
Aren't you quite the comedianxcoffeex

lighten up Francisxrolleyesx

Biff
October 31st, 2009, 08:46 PM
Maybe not the best place to ask this; but what has happened to the URL link for the Charleston Post and Courier?

They have been having server issues for over a month. They have switched twice to different servers and I believe ISP's. Not sure, but The Citadel beat writer has had issues with his blog almost every other week.