PDA

View Full Version : magic city classic week in birmingham this weekend!

SU Jag
October 25th, 2009, 12:46 PM
This week starting wednesday morning birmingham,al will be half maroon and white/ and bama state black and ole gold. The magic city classic is the largest sporting event in the city of birmingham, and this year will mean more dollars for the state this year because the talladega nascar races are also this weekend. These two event boost more into the economy of the birmingham metro area than at any other time of the year. Hotels are sold out from tuscaloosa, to anniston. The magic city classic has grown into one of the biggest hbcu classic games in the past few years, last years crowd exceeded 69,000+. This game has gotten a little bit more interesting over the past few weeks. Alabama a%m started of very strong but they have lost they're last two ballgames (grambling and alcorn). Bama state started off with one of the weakest schedules in fcs and they only beat concordia college (naia) and savannah state by a combined 6 points. They opened up conference play with a lost to mississippi valley state up in chicago, but they bounced back by almost upsetting prairie view, and leading grambling until the 4th quarter, and they upset divional leader alcorn state on yesterday. So now the game that looked like a blowout on paper, now looks like bama state has the chance to beat aamu for the 1st time since 2004. All of the games in aamu's run has been decided by 6 points or less, including a 17-16 win last year. Last year bama state drove the ball from the 1-foot line down 17-10 with 4:33 left in the ballgame all the way down for a score that would have tied the game up, but coach barlow tried a fake feildgoal that was stopped by aamu.

TexasTerror
October 25th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Have the NASCAR race and Magic City Classic landed on the same weekend before? Sounds like something that one would want to avoid - that way hotels can get two busy weekends and the traffic is not congested.

R.A.
October 25th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Is it on television?

slostang
October 25th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Sounds like a great weekend. Have fun and post some pictures next week for us.

SU Jag
October 25th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Have the NASCAR race and Magic City Classic landed on the same weekend before? Sounds like something that one would want to avoid - that way hotels can get two busy weekends and the traffic is not congested.

One would think so. Classic weekend alone sells out the hotel spaces in shelby, jefferson, tuscaloosa, and st.clair counties. The nascar even is the same way. Traffic is a nightmare for the classic anyway, add the taladega race and u traffic problems 2x. Good think that alabama is off this weekend, that will open up a few hotel spots in tuscaloosa hopefully.

SU Jag
October 25th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Is it on television?

Usually its on espn u or espn classic, I would have to check.

SU Jag
October 25th, 2009, 06:01 PM
This weekend is also key to who will represent the east in the swac championship game.

mrklean
October 25th, 2009, 06:42 PM
I will be there at the tailgate with the Bruhs!!!!

SU Jag
October 25th, 2009, 07:42 PM
I will be there at the tailgate with the Bruhs!!!!

I'll get to birmingham thursday afternoon, around 4ish. Klean you might run into my younger cousin who pledged kappa at su. He is from birmingham. Hopefully I'll run into there.

SU Jag
October 26th, 2009, 05:21 PM
According to www.al.com(the birmingham news) coach barlow's fate might be riding on this game.

SU Jag
October 26th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Is it on television?

Espn u tape delay@ 10:30