PDA

View Full Version : Rumor of Lehigh Head Coach Lembo to Elon

LUHawker
December 17th, 2005, 10:49 AM
The Lehigh message boards are purporting that HC Pete Lembo has taken the same position at Elon. Can anyone at Elon (or elsewhere for that matter) confirm that. Pete has been harshly criticized over the last few years for being unable to get seemingly strong Lehigh teams a) past Lafayette, b) to win close ones against A-10 foes and c) put LU in the playoffs and have success there. This, of course, is not an exhaustive list of issues - and there are many, so I am not surprised by such rumors, but would love to know if this is true.

JMU2004
December 17th, 2005, 11:51 AM
he would be an idiot to move from Lehigh to Elon........that makes no sense to me, unless they offered him tons of money.....even still, LU has much more money than hapless Elon

Back2Back05
December 17th, 2005, 02:06 PM
I hope not. he's our best player!!

gophoenix
December 17th, 2005, 02:29 PM
he would be an idiot to move from Lehigh to Elon........that makes no sense to me, unless they offered him tons of money.....even still, LU has much more money than hapless Elon

So you know how much money Elon has? Money doesn't equal good field performance.... look at Duke for instance. Plus we pay our HC more than nearly all the Sun Belt schools pay theres.

As for why Lembo would leave? If he is wanting to work his way up, then that is exactly what he's doing. At Elon he'll make more, at Elon he can recruit differently and if successful in the SoCon, it looks better than being successful in the Patriot.... and that isn't meant to slight the Patriot by any means.... it just sounds like Lembo may be job hopping to move up.

As for Lembo, I wish I knew. Earlier in the week it sounded like Jim Collins was the man we were going to pick. But then again, parents of kids on the team are saying it is a done deal, who knows.

ngineer
December 17th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Nothing but rumors. I wouldn't be surprised if Elon contacted Pete about his interest, but I doubt he'd be inclined UNLESS he were (1) given an excellent financial package (he has a family with very young kids and loves the Lehigh Valley); (2) was promised the financial resources to compete in recruiting with the other SoCons. Elon is a private school, and I would think they would have to commit at least as much as Furman and Wofford do in order attract someone to make such a move.
As a side note, however, his prior boss, Kevin Higgins is now at the Citadel and there would be the possibility of that connection working as to being in the same league.
Personally, I think Pete has done a very good job at Lehigh. In five years he's always won at least 8 games and his teams are always competitive when they step up against the I-A's or the full scholarship I-AA's. He's still very young (only 35), but has an excellent philosophy regarding the balance between being a student at a tough academic school and still committing to football. I would not be surprised to see him leave to a 'tougher' conference (I know he'd salivate as being able to recruit without some of the restrictions he currently faces), but the opportunities for him would have to be evident.
Should that happen, I'd anticipate Cecchini returning to Alma Mater...

hawkineer
December 17th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Personally, I think Pete has done a very good job at Lehigh. In five years he's always won at least 8 games and his teams are always competitive when they step up against the I-A's or the full scholarship I-AA's. I think it's a terrific opportunity for this outstanding young coach to resurrect Elon. I wish him all the best. Terrific hire for Elon. http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/party/party-smiley-020.gif

He's still very young (only 35), but has an excellent philosophy regarding the balance between being a student at a tough academic school and still committing to football. http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/spezial/rags/kackepieksen.gif http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/wuerg/vomit-smiley-001.gif

If this is true, then I must have been a very good boy this year. Thanks Santa. http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/weihnachten/xmas-smiley-007.gif

Pard4Life
December 17th, 2005, 10:25 PM
I hope not. he's our best player!!

I agree, let's hope he signs a ten-year deal with Lehigh.

SouthMountainWreckingBall
December 17th, 2005, 11:41 PM
I agree, let's hope he signs a ten-year deal with Lehigh.

Well I'm glad you all accept that you're still an otherwise inferior program. Not that it isn't easy enough to discern from listening to you Leopards, but it's still fun when you come this close to openly admitting it.

December 18th, 2005, 01:50 AM
Sometimes it is hard to tell when Lehigh and Lafayette fans are smacking each other at AGS... xlolx

Back2Back05
December 18th, 2005, 08:13 AM
Well I'm glad you all accept that you're still an otherwise inferior program. Not that it isn't easy enough to discern from listening to you Leopards, but it's still fun when you come this close to openly admitting it.

A good program wins games, goes to the playoffs, and has a great coaching staff. You won some games over the past few years but the other two elements are lacking. I'll take a the Leopards program over the hawks any day.

ngineer
December 18th, 2005, 09:58 AM
A good program wins games, goes to the playoffs, and has a great coaching staff. You won some games over the past few years but the other two elements are lacking. I'll take a the Leopards program over the hawks any day.

Excuse me. Lehigh was in the playoffs last year and lost the National Champion by one point...This year finished with the same record as LC (8-3). As for 'great' coaching staffs--I've heard more than a few grumbles and complaints about Tavani and his atrocious play-calling from your own alumni. The players overcame your staff's shortcomings.

carney2
December 18th, 2005, 10:31 AM
C'mon guys, let's calm down here. One game/one season/etc. does not a program make. I am still semi-irrational as I continue to bask in the glow of this year's miracle finish, but even I can't get past the following facts:

Lehigh has one of the best programs in I-AA. They are "there" every year. They never rebuild. The simply reload. The proof is in the pudding, as they say. People who have never seen them play continue to vote for them each week for an exalted position in the Top 25.

Lafayette has had two marvelous years - preceded by a decade+ of circling the bowl. This is a big year on College Hill. The question to be answered is: Has Tavani built a real program or did he just get lucky with one group of great kids? Remember, he will be graduating 25 seniors before the first kickoff next September. And, despite the lack of A-10 and SoCon teams on the schedule, they have loaded up with teams that they traditionally just cannot beat.

ngineer
December 18th, 2005, 11:05 AM
C'mon guys, let's calm down here. One game/one season/etc. does not a program make. I am still semi-irrational as I continue to bask in the glow of this year's miracle finish, but even I can't get past the following facts:

Lehigh has one of the best programs in I-AA. They are "there" every year. They never rebuild. The simply reload. The proof is in the pudding, as they say. People who have never seen them play continue to vote for them each week for an exalted position in the Top 25.

Lafayette has had two marvelous years - preceded by a decade+ of circling the bowl. This is a big year on College Hill. The question to be answered is: Has Tavani built a real program or did he just get lucky with one group of great kids? Remember, he will be graduating 25 seniors before the first kickoff next September. And, despite the lack of A-10 and SoCon teams on the schedule, they have loaded up with teams that they traditionally just cannot beat.

You make a very important point. The measure of a 'program' is when it graduates it's core of seniors who have begun to achieve. If the the team continues to win and challenge for the PL title and playoff position in subsequent years, then, a successful program has been developed. It hope both schools continue to have winning programs. Lafayette's recent renaissance had heightened the interest in the Rivalry and that, also, helps the PL.

Pard94
December 18th, 2005, 11:08 AM

Can you please define "otherwise inferior program"? We've beat you 3 out of the last 5 years. You didn't make the national playoffs this year (because of Lafayette). Your coach may or may not have been fired largely because Tavani has made him his bitch. Hell, even your uniforms are ulglier. In what way are you superior at this point? You've got nothing. Are you talking about your wrestling team?

Merry Christmas.

ngineer
December 18th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Can you please define "otherwise inferior program"? We've beat you 3 out of the last 5 years. You didn't make the national playoffs this year (because of Lafayette). Your coach may or may not have been fired largely because Tavani has made him his bitch. Hell, even your uniforms are ulglier. In what way are you superior at this point? You've got nothing. Are you talking about your wrestling team?

Merry Christmas.

Ah yes, the 'class' of a Lafayetter...Res Ipsa Loquitor...
P.S. You're on the wrong Board.

Pard94
December 18th, 2005, 11:33 AM

Whoa Carney...what's your deal? If you're going to review the facts with an eye towards reality, please review all of the facts...not just the one's that support Lehigh. Can't believe I have to say that :eyebrow: . No doubt Lehigh has a successful program. The foundation of the program was built by Higgins, if you ask me. Since then Lembo has been able to keep his teams successful in the Patriot League and respectable in the first round of the playoffs. Which has been enough to keep recurits interested in Lehigh. Tavani has actually built something at Lafayette and it continues to move in the right direction. Don't overlook the fact that Tavani and his staff was able to recuit that "group of great kids" despite being utterly hamstrung by his own administration. Thankfully the chief moron in charge at Lafayette is gone and now we will get to see what Tavani can do without having to assure his recuits that they won't be playing Division II ball by their senior year. Also, yeah, there was a period of five years that Lafayette spent in the PL cellar. The reasons why are clearly understood by even the most ardent Lehigh fan. You seem to forget however, that prior to that 5 year period, the PL was largely a three team League. You could count on Lafayette, Lehigh or Colgate to win the league year in and year out. And while it was Russo who was at the healm, it was Tavani that was his right hand man. I know becasue I was on the team from 90-94. What many people don't realize is that it was Tavani that recruited the likes of Tom Costello, Erik Marsh, Tom Kirchoff, Marko Glavic, etc. Imagine how consistent Lafayette could have been if Art Rothkopf didn't hang a stinking albatros around Tavani's neck to start out his tenure. Think of some of the PL stars who have gone through the league that may have chosen Lafayette but for Rothkopf and his disasterous "study". I imagine it might be like the transition Lembo was able to enjoy at Lehigh.

So you wonder if if Lafayette has built a program or if Tavani is just lucky? I think one only needs to look at our returning team and last year's crop of freshman recruits to know that we should be good for a long time to come

Good God, Carney, we are already drastically outnumbered on this board. The Lehigh fans don't need your help. But if you feel inclined to get in touch with your Mountain Hawk side, I would ask you, as I ask all of the other Lehigh fans, to consider the full story...not just the facts that support your position...which is apparently that of a Lehigh fan. Ughh. :confused:

Back2Back05
December 18th, 2005, 11:37 AM
We've beat you 3 out of the last 5 years.

correction. 3 out of the last 4 years. 2002,2004,2005

Lehigh Football Nation
December 18th, 2005, 12:25 PM
First of all, Lafayette's resurgence has nothing to do with luck. It has more to do with extremely solid recruiting. I've only graded two incoming Lafayette classes, but to me they have had the best recruiting in al lof the Patriot Leagur the past two years. Believe me, I wish this was different, but Lafayette is getting great athletes into the program. Look at Shawn Adair for example, a true freshman getting time at WR.

What's funny to me is that Lafayette fans are defining success on Lehigh's terms. It's funny that lots of LC fans think that it's not the quality of their team that has beaten Lehigh (and kept App St. and Delaware close in the playoffs), but it's because they're facing Lembo!

carney2
December 18th, 2005, 02:15 PM
We've lost our way here. Any word on Lembo?

Pards Rule
December 18th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Look, LU has a very good program. LC has one too. If Lembo is going to Elon, I would consider it to be a mistake. This rivalry has heated up. We were abysmal for quite a few years.

Pard94
December 18th, 2005, 04:47 PM
We've lost our way here. Any word on Lembo?

Yes, you certainly seem to have lost your way...come back to the light, Carney...COME BACK!

carney2
December 18th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Dear fellow alum, Pard94,

You make many valid points and I agree that Lafayette has a program rather than a lucky two year run. Still, Frank has his work cut out for him. He will have to reverse the course of 100+ years of Lafayette football history by beating Penn, Princeton, Harvard, Yale and Colgate - all in the same year, no less. (My buddies and I still mention at least once every year that we don't know how Russo managed to lose the Yale game in '91 after pushing the Eli up and down the field for 60 minutes.) These are teams that Lafayette absolutely never beats - and it's almost as if it's preordained. Folks less biased than ye and me will judge this "program" by how they handle these 5 games - and a few more.

Anyway, old pal, here's some additional ammunition for you. It is time for the annual high school all state, all region, all area, all city, etc. teams to be announced. In my part of the world (the Lehigh Valley and eastern PA) I am used to seeing things like this in the write-ups about a high school all-star: "Considering Maryland, West Virginia, Delaware and Lehigh." I would rarely - very rarely - see that one of these first teamers was considering Lafayette. This year I am seeing Lafayette mentioned at least as much as any other I-AA team. Frank is out there and getting it done.

Pard4Life
December 18th, 2005, 04:51 PM
First of all, Lafayette's resurgence has nothing to do with luck. It has more to do with extremely solid recruiting. I've only graded two incoming Lafayette classes, but to me they have had the best recruiting in al lof the Patriot Leagur the past two years. Believe me, I wish this was different, but Lafayette is getting great athletes into the program. Look at Shawn Adair for example, a true freshman getting time at WR.

What's funny to me is that Lafayette fans are defining success on Lehigh's terms. It's funny that lots of LC fans think that it's not the quality of their team that has beaten Lehigh (and kept App St. and Delaware close in the playoffs), but it's because they're facing Lembo!

I agree, recruiting has been top-notch the past few years. According to board chatter last year, we landed a DT who had D-I offers and who liked Colgate. To convince a player to attend Lafayette over Colgate is a major sign that our program is building for long-term success. Also, some more evidence today, New Jersey's primary newspaper had twoFirst-Team All-NJ Defense players expressing interest in Lafayette (two others on 2nd and 3rd teams that I'm aware of who expressed Lafayette interest). Other schools on their lists were the likes of Northeastern, WilliamMary, Delaware, Colgate... real top-notch I-AA programs. Blake Costanzo was 1st-Team NJ Defense a few years ago and look how that has translated. If Lafayette was not poised for success in the future and had an outstanding coaching staff, I don't think we would have a chance with these players. Despite the doubters, I think Tavani has someting going for him over there.

And ps, to clarify an earlier post, I believe Lembo, in addition to our emotion and talent, won the game for Lafayette. Like I said earlier on the board, I am still shocked that talented and battle-tested Lehigh could not hold in the fourth quarter. Granted we have the talent and emotion to win vs. any team, like ASU, Lehigh was supposed to be "too good to lose" once you spot them a favorable situation.

Pard94
December 18th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Ah yes, the 'class' of a Lafayetter...Res Ipsa Loquitor...
P.S. You're on the wrong Board.

Yeah, you spelled it wrong, Cicero, it's RES IPSA LOQUITUR. Try this one...

Morsus mihi , perdo. (Translated: Bite me, loser.)

Perhaps I am on the wrong board.

Pard4Life
December 18th, 2005, 04:55 PM

You make many valid points and I agree that Lafayette has a program rather than a lucky two year run. Still, Frank has his work cut out for him. He will have to reverse the course of 100+ years of Lafayette football history by beating Penn, Princeton, Harvard, Yale and Colgate - all in the same year, no less. (My buddies and I still mention at least once every year that we don't know how Russo managed to lose the Yale game in '91 after pushing the Eli up and down the field for 60 minutes.) These are teams that Lafayette absolutely never beats - and it's almost as if it's preordained. Folks less biased than ye and me will judge this "program" by how they handle these 5 games - and a few more.

Anyway, old pal, here's some additional ammunition for you. It is time for the annual high school all state, all region, all area, all city, etc. teams to be announced. In my part of the world (the Lehigh Valley and eastern PA) I am used to seeing things like this in the write-ups about a high school all-star: "Considering Maryland, West Virginia, Delaware and Lehigh." I would rarely - very rarely - see that one of these first teamers was considering Lafayette. This year I am seeing Lafayette mentioned at least as much as any other I-AA team. Frank is out there and getting it done.

About curses, we have more wins against PSU and Pittsburgh than vs. Yale Princeton Harvard. And only 9-35 vs. Colgate.

And yes, we are getting some of the best I-AA prospects out there... check out the Leopard forum, I listed some of the top-NJ first teamers who are considering Lafayette.

Pard94
December 18th, 2005, 05:15 PM

Carney, that's not what you said. You basically said Lehigh seems to have a solid program and we still have to wait and see on Lafayette...they may have just gotten lucky. Please spare me the 100 year old "monkey on your back" regarding the Ivy League. How in the hell could the outcome of a game or a series of games played by men wearing leather helmets (invented at Lafayette :D ), who are long past worm's food at this point, have any effect on what happens today? If you think the players sit around and think about such things you are sorely mistaken. So what is in play here? Curses? Hexes? Come on...By the way from 1990-1994 (years I attended Lafayette) we were 3-1 vs. Penn, 3-1, vs. Colgate and we lost to Yale and Princeton the two times we played them. Hardly the Curse of the Bambino.

I guess my point is, if you're going to "poo poo" the Lafayette program could you at least wait see if we actually suck first?

Now that I have that off my chest, I am willing to forget your seditious comments made earlier. We'll chalk it up to temporary insanity. :xmas:

DFW HOYA
December 18th, 2005, 05:48 PM
I agree, recruiting has been top-notch the past few years. According to board chatter last year, we landed a DT who had D-I offers and who liked Colgate. To convince a player to attend Lafayette over Colgate is a major sign that our program is building for long-term success.

How much of this is due to the record vs. better financial aid packaging? I say this because Georgetown doesn't have the funding to offer the number of packages other schools do and I don't want to see a situation where those packages are cut back even further.

Pard4Life
December 18th, 2005, 06:48 PM
How much of this is due to the record vs. better financial aid packaging? I say this because Georgetown doesn't have the funding to offer the number of packages other schools do and I don't want to see a situation where those packages are cut back even further.

I thought each PL school awarded 63 full need-based financial awards to incoming players (since we are not aloud to give scholarships.. but it's almost the same thing essentially). I don't know what the packaging was, but I could only guess that Lafayette and Colgate had the same offer if it was full need-based. As for the I-A schools I don't remember what they offered.

gophoenix
December 18th, 2005, 07:10 PM
So, is that it, no one knows anything else?

There are still Elon fans saying the deal has been sealed and football scoop is also saying the same thing. Annoucement on Monday supposedly.

elonphan
December 18th, 2005, 09:26 PM
The Lehigh message boards are purporting that HC Pete Lembo has taken the same position at Elon. Can anyone at Elon (or elsewhere for that matter) confirm that. Pete has been harshly criticized over the last few years for being unable to get seemingly strong Lehigh teams a) past Lafayette, b) to win close ones against A-10 foes and c) put LU in the playoffs and have success there. This, of course, is not an exhaustive list of issues - and there are many, so I am not surprised by such rumors, but would love to know if this is true.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "not an exhaustivie list of issues"?

Go...gate
December 18th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Come on, you guys. There is not much to choose from between the LC and LU programs the last couple of years but going back to the beginning of the Patriot League, there is no question that Lehigh has been the PL's most consistently strong program overall. For crying out loud, LC was on the verge of D-III by the fiat of Arthur Rothkopf not that long ago!

Pard4Life
December 18th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Come on, you guys. There is not much to choose from between the LC and LU programs the last couple of years but going back to the beginning of the Patriot League, there is no question that Lehigh has been the PL's most consistently strong program overall. For crying out loud, LC was on the verge of D-III by the fiat of Arthur Rothkopf not that long ago!

Knocking yourself here? No Colgate?

Rothkopf was five years ago, let's see where the next five years go.

ngineer
December 19th, 2005, 07:16 AM
The Allentown Morning Call had an article today that a press conference will be held at Elon announcing Lembo's hiring at 11:30 a.m. While no one at Lehigh would confirm, it does sound that it is a done deal.

That raises the subject of which should be a new thread--who is Lembo's successor?

colgate13
December 19th, 2005, 07:56 AM
I thought each PL school awarded 63 full need-based financial awards to incoming players (since we are not aloud to give scholarships.. but it's almost the same thing essentially). I don't know what the packaging was, but I could only guess that Lafayette and Colgate had the same offer if it was full need-based. As for the I-A schools I don't remember what they offered.

No. It's not that cut and dry.

I-AA allows a maximum of 63 scholarships (or scholarship equivalencies) on a team. PL schools can choose just how much they want to give. There is no PL standard or minimum.

The way most schools do it is there are a set number of slots per year that will get a grant to meet need financial aid package. For most schools it's in the neighborhood of 15-21. That does not mean we are giving 15-21 scholarship equivalencies but rather that 15-21 kids were admitted and had their aid met with all grant financial aid. If you figure the average football player has a higher than average need but still not 'full', that's probably an average of $30-$32K per player. So if you use 21 slots it really only equals say 18 scholarships. Now, 18 per year would bring a program up to 72 scholarships, but we all know that kids quit, transfer, get injured, etc, so when it is all said and done the schools spending the most $ are still below 60 scholarship equivalents, but most likely above 50.

If a school like Georgetown only wanted to do 8 slots a year, you see how the product would be different on the field.

As it pertains to individual awards, again, there is no Patriot League standard which says that if LC is awarding $20K in grant, CU and LU would too. Rather, we are supposed to treat our athletes like our regular students when determining need, but just meet their need with grant instead of a job/loan/grant package.

So that means, if everyone is playing fairly, it really comes down to who is the most aggressive with their overall financial aid. I know that Colgate is, as a whole, probably the most aggressive by a hair. LC and LU are pretty much there too. BU and HC are a step behind. FU and GU I am not sure about. How is a school more or less aggressive? That gets into the nuts and bolts of aid: do they cap home equity? do they count private school tuition? do they allow medical expenses? There are tons of little points here and there to consider.

Now, to be cyncial, I said 'if everyone is playing fairly'. In reality, most schools will 'reevalute' an aid award if another PL school is offering significantly more than said school. That is what brings us all in line for the most part.

blueballs
December 19th, 2005, 07:57 AM
WOW!!!

This guy Lembo must be some kind of glutton for punishment.

Why on earth, other than the almighty $$$- and if that's the case fooey on Lehigh for letting a good thing get away, would he leave his perch at Lehigh, where he competes for a playoff spot every year and has had some pretty good teams and real success, for the meat grinder of the SoCon?

The best thing he can hope for is what Wofford has, which is competitive most every year, one great year once in a blue moon, and consistent fourth place or worse finishes most every year. There ain't no way in hell he's gonna steer this program consistently ahead of App, GSU and Furman.

Unless this is solely about money, I just don't see how this is anything but a step backward.

Somebody please tell me something I don't know so I'll understand this...

colgate13
December 19th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Lower expectations? It wasn't Georgia Southern, but it is amazing how unhappy some were with a guy who's only had 8 win or better seasons...

ngineer
December 19th, 2005, 12:08 PM
WOW!!!

This guy Lembo must be some kind of glutton for punishment.

Why on earth, other than the almighty $$$- and if that's the case fooey on Lehigh for letting a good thing get away, would he leave his perch at Lehigh, where he competes for a playoff spot every year and has had some pretty good teams and real success, for the meat grinder of the SoCon?

The best thing he can hope for is what Wofford has, which is competitive most every year, one great year once in a blue moon, and consistent fourth place or worse finishes most every year. There ain't no way in hell he's gonna steer this program consistently ahead of App, GSU and Furman.

Unless this is solely about money, I just don't see how this is anything but a step backward.

Somebody please tell me something I don't know so I'll understand this...

I see it as a challenge and opportunity for a 'young' HC--he's only 35. If he turns Elon around into a winning program his stock will soar, and on up the ladder he will go. If he doesn't do any better, then he leaves, also on a lateral move. Assuming more money, I see it as an opportunity to parlay into the future.

ngineer
December 19th, 2005, 12:10 PM
No. It's not that cut and dry.

I-AA allows a maximum of 63 scholarships (or scholarship equivalencies) on a team. PL schools can choose just how much they want to give. There is no PL standard or minimum.

The way most schools do it is there are a set number of slots per year that will get a grant to meet need financial aid package. For most schools it's in the neighborhood of 15-21. That does not mean we are giving 15-21 scholarship equivalencies but rather that 15-21 kids were admitted and had their aid met with all grant financial aid. If you figure the average football player has a higher than average need but still not 'full', that's probably an average of $30-$32K per player. So if you use 21 slots it really only equals say 18 scholarships. Now, 18 per year would bring a program up to 72 scholarships, but we all know that kids quit, transfer, get injured, etc, so when it is all said and done the schools spending the most $ are still below 60 scholarship equivalents, but most likely above 50.

If a school like Georgetown only wanted to do 8 slots a year, you see how the product would be different on the field.

As it pertains to individual awards, again, there is no Patriot League standard which says that if LC is awarding $20K in grant, CU and LU would too. Rather, we are supposed to treat our athletes like our regular students when determining need, but just meet their need with grant instead of a job/loan/grant package.

So that means, if everyone is playing fairly, it really comes down to who is the most aggressive with their overall financial aid. I know that Colgate is, as a whole, probably the most aggressive by a hair. LC and LU are pretty much there too. BU and HC are a step behind. FU and GU I am not sure about. How is a school more or less aggressive? That gets into the nuts and bolts of aid: do they cap home equity? do they count private school tuition? do they allow medical expenses? There are tons of little points here and there to consider.

Now, to be cyncial, I said 'if everyone is playing fairly'. In reality, most schools will 'reevalute' an aid award if another PL school is offering significantly more than said school. That is what brings us all in line for the most part.

Excellent post 13. Last year Lehigh had 53 'equivalencies'. I'm not aware of any PL school that had even 60. The depth of our recruiting is usually what spells the difference between the top 3 of the PL and the A-10/SoCon etal when we meet--depth.

colgate13
December 19th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Excellent post 13. Last year Lehigh had 53 'equivalencies'. I'm not aware of any PL school that had even 60.

No one is at 60. I believe Colgate is at the top with 55. I would not be surprised though to see us slowly inch towards 60 based on what I am hearing lately. This could be a 'big' recruiting class for Colgate in terms of numbers.

Pards Rule
December 19th, 2005, 12:25 PM
The Allentown Morning Call had an article today that a press conference will be held at Elon announcing Lembo's hiring at 11:30 a.m. While no one at Lehigh would confirm, it does sound that it is a done deal.

That raises the subject of which should be a new thread--who is Lembo's successor?

Should we then drop the word "Rumor" from this thread??

OL FU
December 19th, 2005, 12:33 PM
I might get in trouble for this one. I have skimmed the threads and have not seen this so if it is there let me know.

Do Lehigh fans feel insulted that he went to Elon? Don't take this the wrong way but I think I would unless he was offered significantly more money or he felt like his job was threatened for reasons discussed previously.

Who knows, maybe he doesn't like the winters?

Even more importantly what do you think of his chances of producing a competitive program at Elon?

youwouldno
December 19th, 2005, 12:46 PM
This stuff about him leaving because he lost to Lafayette 3 times... is laughable. Lembo has been very successful at Lehigh and he could have stayed if he wished.

Why he left, I obviously don't know, but 'pressure' from Lehigh fans isn't it. My guess is a combination: first, more money, second, it might be a good career move. If he does pretty well at Elon, he could move up nicely.

Now, the only problem with that scenario is the winning at Elon part, which is kind of central to such a plan. Catching Wofford won't be easy, plus UTC is improving, Higgins will probably improve El Cid, and if WCU adds offense to their D, they can be solid. The SoCon isn't the Big 3 and a bunch of doormats... the Big 3 is just so good that the other programs take a lot of losses to them.

Pards Rule
December 19th, 2005, 12:48 PM
He was 44-14 at LU. Apparently the alums & students couldn't get past him losing the last three out of the last four to the Leopards and it was a crucible he felt uncomfortable in so he left.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 19th, 2005, 12:54 PM
This stuff about him leaving because he lost to Lafayette 3 times... is laughable. Lembo has been very successful at Lehigh and he could have stayed if he wished.

Why he left, I obviously don't know, but 'pressure' from Lehigh fans isn't it.

I disagree wholeheartedly. Yes, a few naysayers on the message boards didn't make this happen, but trust me there were not a few alumni who were not happy with Pete from minute one (wrongly, in my opinion).

ngineer
December 19th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Very simply, he was always in Higgins' shadow despite his record. Too many people got intoxicated with the undefeated seasons at the time Higgins left, and gave no credit to Lembo for keeping it together in the 2001 season, though his peers did with the Coach of the Year award. After that 9-2 and 8-3 wasn't good enough.
As to FU's post--I'm sure Lembo is getting more money plus if he turns Elon into a winner, then he'll be movin' on up quickly. If he doesn't, the risk wasn't all that much, but he had to take the opportunity.

youwouldno
December 19th, 2005, 01:14 PM
I disagree wholeheartedly. Yes, a few naysayers on the message boards didn't make this happen, but trust me there were not a few alumni who were not happy with Pete from minute one (wrongly, in my opinion).

There are always some unhappy alumni. No matter what, at every school, with every coach. That's not why Lembo left. Now, he may have been displeased with the flak he took, I have no idea personally, but Lembo was a proven winner at Lehigh. The administration would have to be crazy to want him out of there.

colgate13
December 19th, 2005, 01:32 PM
There are always some unhappy alumni. No matter what, at every school, with every coach. That's not why Lembo left. Now, he may have been displeased with the flak he took, I have no idea personally, but Lembo was a proven winner at Lehigh. The administration would have to be crazy to want him out of there.

I agree. But Lembo might not be crazy for wanting a different atmosphere.

His expecations just got lowered. Make Elon a winner. Not, make Lehigh go to the playoffs every year and win all the big games.

Maybe he saw the writing on the wall that he would never be good enough and now was as good a time as any to try something new?

ngineer
December 19th, 2005, 06:50 PM
I agree. But Lembo might not be crazy for wanting a different atmosphere.

His expecations just got lowered. Make Elon a winner. Not, make Lehigh go to the playoffs every year and win all the big games.

Maybe he saw the writing on the wall that he would never be good enough and now was as good a time as any to try something new?

You're hitting pretty close. This is a great opportunity for Pete to take a struggling program and turn it around in one of the toughest leagues in the country. I think he believes he can make Elon another Furman, and, if he does, he will be shooting upward quickly. Even if Elon only becomes , 'competitive' and has some 6and 7 win seasons, that will be seen as successful. He's only 35, so this was clearly a change for the better for him.