PDA

View Full Version : Apps are Steam Rolling

GGASU
October 25th, 2009, 01:09 AM
When is the last time anyone beat a healthy Armanti?....

Unless the FCS playoffs include LSU no one is going to stop the Mountaineers...Period!

I am waiting on the Elon spread at 5 Dimes...Elon might be favored...lol...that will be a nice new car weekend.

crossfire07
October 25th, 2009, 01:36 AM
When is the last time anyone beat a healthy Armanti?...

September 12, 2009? The Armanti Edwards I saw in action looked pretty damn healthy.

KiddBrewer
October 25th, 2009, 02:08 AM
September 12, 2009? The Armanti Edwards I saw in action looked pretty damn healthy.

rematch? thatd be an awesome 25 point win.

jk

but reallyxsmiley_wix

crossfire07
October 25th, 2009, 03:00 AM
rematch? thatd be an awesome 25 point win

before that game, there were posts made that App would win by more than that. glad to see the number has come down to just 25. xlolx xpeacex
I'd rather go to The Rock than Missoula because if McNeese makes the playoffs, that is where the NCAA is sending our ass. The Rock is definitely a hard place to win but it is no Missoula in December.

seantaylor
October 25th, 2009, 03:06 AM
GSU beat the hell out of healthy Armanti in Boone in 07

runHENrun
October 25th, 2009, 06:31 AM
If they manage to steam roll the Socon and earn that playoff spot, I think the App train might want to stop and refuel, cause the Apps might need it when they face the best of the CAA, MVFC, Southland and the Big Sky.

BarefootApp
October 25th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Not so fast, my friend. A ton of football to be played, and Furman now is the only game that matters.

ThompsonThe
October 25th, 2009, 07:12 AM

He was far from healthy in that game.
He missed the game before that completely, and the game before that tried to play but couldn't.
He came back way too soon.

Touchdown Yosef
October 25th, 2009, 07:27 AM
I don't think the offense has ever really been in question this year. They do their thing and they score points, it was the defense that made the difference yesterday and it will be the defense that will determine how far we have the potential of going. If they play to their talent level then we will be in good shape but there are some really great FCS teams out there and no matter what there will be a very very tough road through the playoffs for who ever wins the NC this year.

ur2k
October 25th, 2009, 07:36 AM
We want AE in Richmond this yearxthumbsupx

PhoenixMan
October 25th, 2009, 07:48 AM
[QUOTE=GGASU;1444922]

Unless the FCS playoffs include LSU no one is going to stop the Mountaineers...Period!

Excuse me......there a few games left on the schedule for the Apps before the playoffs becomes part an App discussion. Seen Elon's points for and against in the SoCon this year lately?xrulesx

ItsyBitsySpider
October 25th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Remember, App doesn't play road games in the playoffs.

tractorapp
October 25th, 2009, 07:58 AM

App wins out at 9-2 and they are one of the top 4. A loss to Elon and 8-3 and we are on the road. In '07 we were going to be on the road after the first round, but McNeese lost in the first round.

BTW, I don't think our guys would have any trouble getting ready to play you no matter where the game is played. That defense I saw yesterday has turned the corner. There was never any doubt about the offense.

CamelCityAppFan
October 25th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Excuse me......there a few games left on the schedule for the Apps before the playoffs becomes part an App discussion. Seen Elon's points for and against in the SoCon this year lately?xrulesx

Q: Who owns the current record for consecutive SoCon wins? xrulesx

appfan2008
October 25th, 2009, 08:32 AM
must focus on furman... then chatty... elon is a long way ahead of us...

PhoenixMan
October 25th, 2009, 08:59 AM
must focus on furman... then chatty... elon is a long way ahead of us...

and Elon must focus on Wofford, and Wofford only. A week at a time. But, when an App fan follows an App win over a GSU team that is not very good with a post talking about walking through the FCS playoffs (unless LSU shows up??) I must respond. xnodx

BarefootApp
October 25th, 2009, 09:03 AM
I don't blame you.....a little over the top. Ahhh, the passions of a college football fan.

93henfan
October 25th, 2009, 09:06 AM
It's good to see all the App posters back. They must have had a special on 6-week cruises at the Boone travel agencies after the McNeese loss. xconfusedx

CrackerRiley
October 25th, 2009, 09:16 AM

Because.... they EARN that privilege xrulesx

ThompsonThe
October 25th, 2009, 11:54 AM
and Elon must focus on Wofford, and Wofford only. A week at a time. But, when an App fan follows an App win over a GSU team that is not very good with a post talking about walking through the FCS playoffs (unless LSU shows up??) I must respond. xnodx

No......you don't HAVE to respond, no one is twisting your arm. I don't think anyone would take that post seriously. No one can predict that they will waltz through the playoffs, way too hard to know. Sure seems like your fans were talking themselves up after beating GaSo.

MorgantonAPPAlum
October 25th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Because.... they EARN that privilege xrulesx

Yes-but also 25-30K hillbilly rear ends in the seats is something that speaks to the NCAA in soft, luxuriant tones ($$$).

Rekdiver
October 25th, 2009, 12:01 PM
If App plays anywhere within 5 hours of Boone it will be like a home game. We do travel.......

AshevilleApp2
October 25th, 2009, 12:06 PM

I am waiting on the Elon spread at 5 Dimes...Elon might be favored...lol...that will be a nice new car weekend.

Easy buddy. One good game doesn't a championship make. We've got a road game against a good Furman team that will be playing for its playoff life next Saturday. Lets get through that one first.

james_lawfirm
October 25th, 2009, 12:15 PM

GaSo not very good? Before 3:00 yesterday, they were tied for 3rd in the SoCon (still are) & IF they had won yesterday, would now be tied for 2nd.

PhoenixMan, I think what has changed for App is the Defense. It looked as good as it has in championship days past.

I think I can sum up many App fans thoughts about this year's team: "We're back!"

One game at a time. Furman's next - on Halloween. App plays well on Halloween.

GreatAppSt
October 25th, 2009, 12:48 PM

Fail

Bettina90
October 25th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I always love the "we" need to focus on our next game and not look ahead. Do you guys stay after practice and watch extra game film too?

YoUDeeMan
October 25th, 2009, 01:12 PM
GaSo not very good? Before 3:00 yesterday, they were tied for 3rd in the SoCon (still are) & IF they had won yesterday, would now be tied for 2nd.

PhoenixMan, I think what has changed for App is the Defense. It looked as good as it has in championship days past.

Ahhh...yes. The "good" GSU team that produced exactly 6 points against SDSU...while giving up 44. The "good" GSU team that barely beat Albany at home (hey, if the second place SoCon team is equal to the second place NEC team, that says a lot). That same "good" GSU team that produced all of 14 points against that powerhouse D from Elon.

I believe ASU will cause some havoc in the playoffs...more because of their stadium than the actual play of their team...hello Montana. Get them out of the Rock, and they are just another OK team.

ASU's offense is still one of the best. ASU's defense just has to hold good teams under 30 or 40 to win.

Good luck with that. xcoffeex

rudy1648
October 25th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Ahhh...yes. The "good" GSU team that produced exactly 6 points against SDSU...while giving up 44. The "good" GSU team that barely beat Albany at home (hey, if the second place SoCon team is equal to the second place NEC team, that says a lot). That same "good" GSU team that produced all of 14 points against that powerhouse D from Elon.

I believe ASU will cause some havoc in the playoffs...more because of their stadium than the actual play of their team...hello Montana. Get them out of the Rock, and they are just another OK team.
ASU's offense is still one of the best. ASU's defense just has to hold good teams under 30 or 40 to win.

Uh,,,we were out of The Rock in Chatty couple years ago, and beat a Flacco led team pretty badly. Oh,,forgot. We outnumbered the Hens fans 2 to 1, so guess it was the same as playing at The Rock.

PhoenixMan
October 25th, 2009, 01:32 PM
[QUOTE=Cluck U;1445278]Ahhh...yes. The "good" GSU team that produced exactly 6 points against SDSU...while giving up 44. The "good" GSU team that barely beat Albany at home (hey, if the second place SoCon team is equal to the second place NEC team, that says a lot). That same "good" GSU team that produced all of 14 points against that powerhouse D from Elon.

Good luck with that. xcoffeex[/QUOTE

We appear to agree on some things cluck. However, your comment about Elon's powerhouse D seemed to be sarcastic. Elon does lead the nation in total defense. So watch it, buddy.xlolx

AppStsGr8
October 25th, 2009, 01:32 PM
"When is the last time anyone beat a healthy Armanti?....

Unless the FCS playoffs include LSU no one is going to stop the Mountaineers...Period!"

Whoa there! Football's still a team sport, and there's still a ton of season left. One good day does not a season make.

SU Jag
October 25th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Is there going to be any tv for the app.state/ furman game. I make it my business to watch this game every year. I got the 05 playoff contest on dvd!

EmeryZach
October 25th, 2009, 01:49 PM

Oh here we go. I was wondering when it would start. You guys waited a while this year. xlolxxrotatehx

The Moody1
October 25th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Is there going to be any tv for the app.state/ furman game. I make it my business to watch this game every year. I got the 05 playoff contest on dvd!

WLOS TV the ABC affiliate for the Greenville/Asheville market is televising the game.

BEAR
October 25th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Montana beat App and Edwards back in 1998.....(wait...he hasn't graduated yet?) WTF???? xeekxxeekxxeekxxeekx xlolx

phillyAPP
October 25th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Montana beat App and Edwards back in 1998.....(wait...he hasn't graduated yet?) WTF???? xeekxxeekxxeekxxeekx xlolx

You are correct xeekx AE is graduating in December (3.5 years) on Dean's list, but it does seem like 1998 since he began to play.

The next month i think will be xeekxxeekxxeekx for the defenses we play. I think AE will put up OUTRAGEOUS numbers.

Stat: AE only has 1 interception this year. ;-)

appirishmen
October 25th, 2009, 04:30 PM

hey....App fans!! yes we played very well this week. lets not forget the close wins vs El cit and Woof. Lets hope this is the win that keeps our D fired up. and we did lose with a healthy AE......the cowboys.....(xnonono2xxnonono2x trying to forget xnonono2xxnonono2x). Lets just focus on one game at a time then all of us declaring to be the champs.

LETS GO APPS!!!!!xhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayx

appirishmen
October 25th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I always love the "we" need to focus on our next game and not look ahead. Do you guys stay after practice and watch extra game film too?

dude its a saying....meant as the team...get the stick out of your ass.

PhoenixMan
October 25th, 2009, 05:21 PM
[QUOTE=james_lawfirm;1445235]GaSo not very good? Before 3:00 yesterday, they were tied for 3rd in the SoCon (still are) & IF they had won yesterday, would now be tied for 2nd.

I think I can sum up many App fans thoughts about this year's team: "We're back!"

One game at a time. Furman's next - on Halloween. App plays well on Halloween.[/QUOTE

Tied for 3rd in the SoCon, that makes them GOOD? App is playing great, a NC contender type team, with a D that is playing better. Enjoy that, but don't come on here talking about a team being good because they are "tied for 3rd". Here's to hoping that Elon and App are both undefeated in the SoCon for a great Nov. 14 game for an auto bid.xnodx

UNHFan
October 25th, 2009, 05:32 PM

Going to agree with you.... He is amazing! This UNHFan has always praised him. His performance in the Michigan game to this day amazes me. App came back how many times in that game? And what I saw early in that game was Edwards truly felt he and his team had every right to be in that game. And I really didnt have a David & Goliath feel watching the game based on what was going on on the field. Turn off the sound and it was just a great game. When ever I need a lift I go to YouTube and watch all the clips!

Wish him all the best!! And to App State one of the Crown Jewels of FCS

UNHFan
October 25th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Wow I never new this!!! Pretty cool!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgv6VMIhQHs

Longrifle
October 25th, 2009, 06:53 PM
[QUOTE=james_lawfirm;1445235]GaSo not very good? Before 3:00 yesterday, they were tied for 3rd in the SoCon (still are) & IF they had won yesterday, would now be tied for 2nd.

One game at a time. Furman's next - on Halloween. App plays well on Halloween.[/QUOTE

Tied for 3rd in the SoCon, that makes them GOOD? App is playing great, a NC contender type team, with a D that is playing better. Enjoy that, but don't come on here talking about a team being good because they are "tied for 3rd". Here's to hoping that Elon and App are both undefeated in the SoCon for a great Nov. 14 game for an auto bid.xnodx

We are not very good. You are ranked ahead of us and should have no problem whipping us at your place. I doubt we can get it together by then. No way we can defend against Riddle and Huggins. Your defense looks impenetrable, and your hot shot QB is way too good. I'm looking for a blowout.

appstate38
October 25th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Don't know if this was said earlier, but its still worth mentioning. Coach Moore said in his post game interview that the Apps had gotten away from what had made them successful. They made some simple changes like practicing in full gear and getting after each other on Monday. I'm sure that's not all but it seemed to shake things up enough to were people are competing in practice which makes everyone better. Teams can get into funks and routines that aren't helping the team get better.

Just myxtwocentsx

Grizaholic17
October 25th, 2009, 07:10 PM
this thread is ridiculous. Appalachain is not on top of their game. From what I've seen and watched, they look sloppy in some of the games. They are starting to get their act together, but really? STEAM ROLLING?

appstate38
October 25th, 2009, 07:21 PM
this thread is ridiculous. Appalachain is not on top of their game. From what I've seen and watched, they look sloppy in some of the games. They are starting to get their act together, but really? STEAM ROLLING?

Hmmm Pot meet Kettle! The Griz haven't been the picture of perfection either.

james_lawfirm
October 25th, 2009, 07:46 PM
App is playing great, a NC contender type team, with a D that is playing better. Enjoy that, but don't come on here talking about a team being good because they are "tied for 3rd". Here's to hoping that Elon and App are both undefeated in the SoCon for a great Nov. 14 game for an auto bid.xnodx

Phoenixman:
I would have thought that Phoenix fans would consider "tied for 3rd" as pretty darn good, SoCon history being what it is. It was not long ago when Elon was on the other side of 3rd place in the SoCon.

I look forward to Nov. 14, in Elonboro. Hope to see you there.

AppAlum2003
October 25th, 2009, 07:47 PM

Agreed. xnodx

Lots of work left to do.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 25th, 2009, 08:02 PM

Does anyone else find it strange that GSU versus SDSU has been the only measuring stick for comparing the SoCon to the other top FCS conference?. I wouldn't make that mistake. Since Paul Johnson left, GSU has had only one season where we didn't have an ugly win or a bad loss early in the season. The way they are playing now, App. State would beat any team in the CAA. Starting out slow and peaking midseason has been the norm for GSU lately.

blueballs
October 25th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Having seen both SDSU and App against a common opponent I'll offer this: SDSU's defense is clearly better but App's offense is just scary and they have the best player in the country at QB and he's a difference maker. SDSU is a very good team and will do damage in the playoffs but I can't see them winning the whole thing.

Same goes for Elon, they're solid and will be a playoff team but they don't have the difference maker at QB. Riddle is good but he ain't Armanti.

As for GSU being "good", that's laughable. Good teams don't lose 3 out of 8 games by 30+ points.xnonono2x

soccerguy315
October 25th, 2009, 08:14 PM
The way they are playing now, App. State would beat any team in the CAA.

a bold statement with no way to back it up. nice.

Can't be proven wrong when you can't test your hypothesis.

And before you get angry, I'm not saying App State won't win the championship, because they definitely might. I'm just saying there is no way to test your baseless statement.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 25th, 2009, 08:15 PM
As for GSU being "good", that's laughable. Good teams don't lose 3 out of 8 games by 30+ points.xnonono2x

All that matters is what GSU is now. Chapple has improved over the course of the season and so have the receiver corps (which has 6 freshmen on the 2-deep). We are very much capable of winning out and finishing third in the conference.

ericsaid
October 25th, 2009, 08:36 PM
I don't know that anyone noticed the changed App made on defense.

Finally Dominique McDuffie started over Jared Reine and a very fast Michael Frazier played over Justin Lloyd. McDuffie forced a fumble on his first tackle of the game and Frazier actually chased down a wide reciever from behind, something Justin Lloyd isn't capable of doing.

Keep an eye on these two as they should help out the defense tremendously.

appirishmen
October 25th, 2009, 08:56 PM
ok. App fans listen. We are far away from steam rolling anyone. IMO, no one this year is steam rolling anyone. This is the first game i have seen all season where we have played like we are able to play. the team needs to refocus, study for FU and play it game by game. if the team plays like this the rest of the season, we have a much better chance of going deep into the playoffs. the Elon fans also need to chill. yes Elon is good, but they also fall apart every year. the Elon/App game, like the past few years will determine the conference champ.

bottom line, App is getting better each week and the defense has finally showed up. we need to keep McDuffie and Frazier in the game and play every game like it is the last game of the year.

GO APPS!!!!!

AppMan
October 25th, 2009, 09:53 PM

Be careful for what you wish for.

KiddBrewer
October 25th, 2009, 10:43 PM

did you REALLY just say that?xeyebrowx

you may want APP in Richmond this year...but nobody REALLY wants AE to visit their town. NOBODY.xeekx

appmaj
October 26th, 2009, 06:42 AM
ok. App fans listen. We are far away from steam rolling anyone. IMO, no one this year is steam rolling anyone. This is the first game i have seen all season where we have played like we are able to play. the team needs to refocus, study for FU and play it game by game. if the team plays like this the rest of the season, we have a much better chance of going deep into the playoffs. the Elon fans also need to chill. yes Elon is good, but they also fall apart every year. the Elon/App game, like the past few years will determine the conference champ.

bottom line, App is getting better each week and the defense has finally showed up. we need to keep McDuffie and Frazier in the game and play every game like it is the last game of the year.

GO APPS!!!!!

xthumbsupxxthumbsupx

gophoenix
October 26th, 2009, 06:50 AM

GO APPS!!!!!

Fall apart every year? I mean, WTH does that mean, we haven't been good enough long enough to fall apart every year. And the Elon/App game has never decided the conference championship.

2007 we were 7-4, lost 2 of the last 4 at the end of the season, but also played teams better than us for those games, which is why the game is played. App game was in September and had nothing to do with the championship.

2008 we were 8-4 and we lost 3 of the last 4. Wofford killed us, we played you guys close and folded on Liberty. We lost to App in a good game, we were 2nd in the conference and App was first.

Both years we lost 4. And out of both of those, only the Liberty game is "folding" and that is one year.

We have a fall apart "every" year? The App/Elon game "always"? I think it's time for you to crawl out from under the rock and figure out what you're talking about.

gophoenix
October 26th, 2009, 06:52 AM
I don't think there are enough App threads....

Saint3333
October 26th, 2009, 08:21 AM
I'll worry about Elon in three weeks, right now ASU is facing a pissed off Furman team in their house.

I like the two defensive moves the coaches made, which really increased the speed of the defense. McDuffie was out of position a couple times, but hopefully with more playing time that will change.

billya
October 26th, 2009, 08:32 AM
hey....App fans!! yes we played very well this week. lets not forget the close wins vs El cit and Woof. Lets hope this is the win that keeps our D fired up. and we did lose with a healthy AE......the cowboys.....(xnonono2xxnonono2x trying to forget xnonono2xxnonono2x). Lets just focus on one game at a time then all of us declaring to be the champs.

LETS GO APPS!!!!!xhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayx

I would say that AE was probably not 100% versus the cowboys with the lawnmower incident and all.

PhoenixMan
October 26th, 2009, 08:44 AM
[QUOTE=PhoenixMan;1445449]

We are not very good. You are ranked ahead of us and should have no problem whipping us at your place. I doubt we can get it together by then. No way we can defend against Riddle and Huggins. Your defense looks impenetrable, and your hot shot QB is way too good. I'm looking for a blowout.

I'm glad an App fan finally sees it. You are correct, you can't defend Riddle and Hudgins. Elon won't blow them out, just 2-3 touchdowns.xsmiley_wix

DLS
October 26th, 2009, 08:56 AM
mcduffie is my favorite defensive player to watch. he is constantly hype on every play and will always end at the ball. and he's still a freshman

jonmac
October 26th, 2009, 09:37 AM
I don't know that anyone noticed the changed App made on defense.

Finally Dominique McDuffie started over Jared Reine and a very fast Michael Frazier played over Justin Lloyd. McDuffie forced a fumble on his first tackle of the game and Frazier actually chased down a wide reciever from behind, something Justin Lloyd isn't capable of doing.

Keep an eye on these two as they should help out the defense tremendously.

I'll worry about Elon in three weeks, right now ASU is facing a pissed off Furman team in their house.

I like the two defensive moves the coaches made, which really increased the speed of the defense. McDuffie was out of position a couple times, but hopefully with more playing time that will change.

We were also in Cover 2 most of the game, something else that was new, which I believe was to allow the corners to give more run support because of GSU's weak deep passing game a strong run and short passing game. Probably the first time all season McDuffie has had to work on covering a deep half. He normally covers the flats. I'm thinking that's why he got beat deep a couple of times as he bit on stop and go routes or play action. Thank goodness Chapple doesn't throw a great deep ball and GSU receivers had trouble catching. McDuffie and Frazier playing and the Cover 2 were 2 great changes that really worked for this game. Good job Coach Wiley.xnodx I imagine we'll see the same personnel against Furman but more Man and Cover 3 since they are more of a threat in the deep passing game. It also seems like Legree has hit a stride and is ball hawking a bit more. Hope it continues.

MasonJar
October 26th, 2009, 09:40 AM
before that game, there were posts made that App would win by more than that. glad to see the number has come down to just 25. xlolx xpeacex
I'd rather go to The Rock than Missoula because if McNeese makes the playoffs, that is where the NCAA is sending our ass. The Rock is definitely a hard place to win but it is no Missoula in December.

Boone may not be Missoula, but December in Boone is much different than September in Boone...xxmasx

Also, I like to think of App as more of a snowball than a steam roller... it appears we are building momentum as the season moves on, especially after this past Saturday. If things keep going that way, I see a huge snowball of Mountaineer black and gold rolling into December. That is when things will get really interesting! xthumbsupxxpeacexxpopcornx

Nothin' better than December football in the FCS!

BlackNGold
October 26th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Santa knows where to go come Winter:

http://blueridgeblog.blogs.com/photos/appalachian_football_cham/santa_yosef_buddah-pi.jpg

MasonJar
October 26th, 2009, 09:44 AM
I don't think there are enough App threads....

Agreed. Just like cowbell, you can never have too much App State!xsmiley_wix

mlbowl
October 26th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Hmmm Pot meet Kettle! The Griz haven't been the picture of perfection either.

Please direct me to ANY post or thread by ANY Griz fan making that claim...However, the Griz, at least thus far, have found a way to win each week...A claim that cannot be made by ANY App fanxpeacex

SoCon48
October 26th, 2009, 11:52 AM
[QUOTE=Longrifle;1445515]

I'm glad an App fan finally sees it. You are correct, you can't defend Riddle and Hudgins. Elon won't blow them out, just 2-3 touchdowns.xsmiley_wix

App defended Hudgins quite well last year. I think he maybe caught two passes.

ElonPride
October 26th, 2009, 12:04 PM
[QUOTE=PhoenixMan;1445865]

App defended Hudgins quite well last year. I think he maybe caught two passes.

I think he played injured the last couple games of last year......

ThompsonThe
October 26th, 2009, 12:10 PM

Yeah, but that game was with AE missing ALL spring practice and practicing for about two days before the game, on a foot that he almost cut off.

Anyway, would be a good game.....just watched the McNeese game on TV from Saturday.....would like to see a rematch in the playoffs....wouldn't you?

runHENrun
October 26th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Gonna be a waste makin the playoffs this year.....looks like App's already won it.

bigappfan10
October 26th, 2009, 12:25 PM
It's hard to believe Elon has gotten the recruits to become so competitive so quickly in the league. When they were first announced as a new member, I was admittedly disappointed in that I thought they would weaken the conference. Now they are the team to beat. Quite impressive. They don't exactly have the atmosphere for college football and the nearest town is very crappy Burlington, NC so I have to give kudos for getting student-athletes to play there.

appirishmen
October 26th, 2009, 01:00 PM
It's hard to believe Elon has gotten the recruits to become so competitive so quickly in the league. When they were first announced as a new member, I was admittedly disappointed in that I thought they would weaken the conference. Now they are the team to beat. Quite impressive. They don't exactly have the atmosphere for college football and the nearest town is very crappy Burlington, NC so I have to give kudos for getting student-athletes to play there.

hey. im from Burlington NC..........Elon is the crappy town.

SideLine Shooter
October 26th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Gonna be a waste makin the playoffs this year.....looks like App's already won it.

No, Elon has.xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

ThompsonThe
October 26th, 2009, 01:21 PM

Doesn't Leon have a big advantage.....isn't there a large prison near campus?

HiHiYikas
October 26th, 2009, 01:21 PM
did you REALLY just say that?xeyebrowx

you may want APP in Richmond this year...but nobody REALLY wants AE to visit their town. NOBODY.xeekx
I wouldn't mind seeing AE visit us here in Richmond. Richmond is only about 4.5 to 5 hours from Boone, and it's even closer to alumni-populated areas like the NC Triangle area.

UR stadium isn't exactly a gem, but I've enjoyed watching games there.

I much prefer seeing games played in Boone, but anytime I can watch the Apps play without spending ten hours on the road, it's good for me.

YoUDeeMan
October 26th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Does anyone else find it strange that GSU versus SDSU has been the only measuring stick for comparing the SoCon to the other top FCS conference?. I wouldn't make that mistake. Since Paul Johnson left, GSU has had only one season where we didn't have an ugly win or a bad loss early in the season. The way they are playing now, App. State would beat any team in the CAA. Starting out slow and peaking midseason has been the norm for GSU lately.

Well, we could compare the SoCon to the Southland from the McNeese St. victory over ASU. And we could compare the SoCon to the CAA with Furman's loss to Delawa...wait...Furman bailed out of that game and lost to a team from some other conference. xlolx

Or, we could ignore how the other games went and come back to the fact that teams often match up differently...even on different days. However, GSU isn't a good team and the fact is that quite a few teams with different styles of play have lit up their D. GSU's O hasn't scared anyone either. So, it is no surprise that ASU throttled GSU.

YoUDeeMan
October 26th, 2009, 01:50 PM
The way they are playing now, App. State would beat any team in the CAA.

Since the CAA is the best conference in all of FCS, and they have three of the top 5 or 6 in the nation, and an additional 2 of the top 12 (forget about the polls), then you are really saying that ASU would beat any team right now. All because ASU just put a beat down on a bad GSU team...a team that managed 15 yard rushing against a less than stellar ASU D. xcoffeex

Cripes, we should just hand the trophy to ASU and forget about playing out the season. xlolx

ericsaid
October 26th, 2009, 02:01 PM

Apps still the team to beat no matter what ranking Elon has. They were in the same situation last year and couldn't hold it down. Either way as each week goes by the implications for this game get more and more serious.

I myself plan on driving to Elon from Greenville on that Saturday.

I think since AE was injured during the game last year on what some people would call a late hit. He may be more focused then ever assuming the rest of the season plays out in the Apps favor.

ericsaid
October 26th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Well, we could compare the SoCon to the Southland from the McNeese St. victory over ASU. And we could compare the SoCon to the CAA with Furman's loss to Delawa...wait...Furman bailed out of that game and lost to a team from some other conference. xlolx

Or, we could ignore how the other games went and come back to the fact that teams often match up differently...even on different days. However, GSU isn't a good team and the fact is that quite a few teams with different styles of play have lit up their D. GSU's O hasn't scared anyone either. So, it is no surprise that ASU throttled GSU.

So exactly how many teams do you think could put up over 700 yards of offense against them. UGA didn't do that last year with Moreno and Stafford and UNC didn't even come close to that feat this year.

Give credit where credit is due.

49-14.....sorry 21xthumbsupx

PhoenixMan
October 26th, 2009, 02:22 PM

That wasn't very nicexnonono2x Nothing wrong with Burlington, NC. Elon has a beautiful campus, come check it out if you haven't. In any case, they have obviously been able to recruit. As for weakening the conference....they have owned App St. in basically every sport except football. Back to back SoCon baseball conference champs and appearances in the NCAA tourney. Those same accolades are soon to be a part of the Elon football program. I REALLY can't wait for Nov. 14 (although, I do understand that we have to play one game at a time in this conference)

YoUDeeMan
October 26th, 2009, 02:30 PM
So exactly how many teams do you think could put up over 700 yards of offense against them. UGA didn't do that last year with Moreno and Stafford and UNC didn't even come close to that feat this year.

Give credit where credit is due.

49-14.....sorry 21xthumbsupx

Hey, let's play, "live in the past"!

6 time National Champion! xthumbsupx

Keep trying your best to catch up. Wooo-hooo! xrotatehx

How about more recent past?
35-40 (522 yards...at home, in a competitive game...how could you let us down like that?!?!)
24-29
Smoked by a healthy Richmond team. xlolx
Winning a few championships against teams that fell apart...congrats...but not exactly worthy of the praise deserved for those other past champions who faced good teams week in and week out and could be ranked among the best of all time.
What fun! :D

Reality check: Michigan put up 700 yards against DSU...big deal. You think Michigan will win the FBS? Who cares about total yards in a blow out against a poor defense and scrub time? xrolleyesx

***To those ASU fans who have their heads grounded...you have a good team. Just wanted to toss the trolls a few cookies. :D

AshevilleApp2
October 26th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Hey, let's play, "live in the past"!

6 time National Champion! xthumbsupx

Keep trying your best to catch up. Wooo-hooo! xrotatehx

How about more recent past?
35-40 (522 yards...at home, in a competitive game...how could you let us down like that?!?!)
24-29
Smoked by a healthy Richmond team. xlolx
Winning a few championships against teams that fell apart...congrats...but not exactly worthy of the praise deserved for those other past champions who faced good teams week in and week out and could be ranked among the best of all time.
What fun! :D

Reality check: Michigan put up 700 yards against DSU...big deal. You think Michigan will win the FBS? Who cares about total yards in a blow out against a poor defense and scrub time? xrolleyesx

***To those ASU fans who have their heads grounded...you have a good team. Just wanted to toss the trolls a few cookies. :D

One time national champion. D-2 doesn't count. Apples to apples.

AshevilleApp2
October 26th, 2009, 02:38 PM
That wasn't very nicexnonono2x Nothing wrong with Burlington, NC. Elon has a beautiful campus, come check it out if you haven't. In any case, they have obviously been able to recruit. As for weakening the conference....they have owned App St. in basically every sport except football. Back to back SoCon baseball conference champs and appearances in the NCAA tourney. Those same accolades are soon to be a part of the Elon football program. I REALLY can't wait for Nov. 14 (although, I do understand that we have to play one game at a time in this conference)

Owned us in every sport? Have you heard of the Commissioners Cup?

PAST COMMISSIONER CUP CHAMPIONS

1969-70 East Carolina, William & Mary

1970-71 William & Mary

1971-72 William & Mary

1972-73 William & Mary

1973-74 East Carolina

1974-75 East Carolina

1975-76 William & Mary

1976-77 East Carolina

1977-78 Appalachian State

1978-79 Appalachian State

1979-80 Appalachian State

1980-81 Appalachian State

1981-82 Appalachian State

1982-83 East Tennessee State

1983-84 Appalachian State

1984-85 Appalachian State

1985-86 Appalachian State

1986-87 Appalachian State

1987-88 Appalachian State

1988-89 Appalachian State

1989-90 Appalachian State

1990-91 Furman

1991-92 Appalachian State

1992-93 Appalachian State

1993-94 Appalachian State

1994-95 Appalachian State

1995-96 Appalachian State

1996-97 Appalachian State

1997-98 Appalachian State

1998-99 Appalachian State

1999-00 Appalachian State

2000-01 Appalachian State

2001-02 Appalachian State

2002-03 Appalachian State

2003-04 Appalachian State

2004-05 Chattanooga

2005-06 Appalachian State

2006-07 Appalachian State

2007-08 Appalachian State

2008-09 Appalachian State

YoUDeeMan
October 26th, 2009, 02:59 PM

Following that logic, the I-AA championships don't count for any of those teams. Only FCS champions count. xnodx

D2 was not what is is now. D2 was I-AA until the split. xnodx And UD was beating plenty of good DI teams back then.

Sure, recent D2 champs are not equal to the I-AA teams..but back in the days of most of UD's titles, it was all the same. xnodx

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 26th, 2009, 03:05 PM

I want to know which teams you think specifically "lit up our D". We probably should have done a better job of containing Albany. I don't think we did a bad job defensively versus South Dakota State considering (1) GSU turned the ball over 4 times against SDSU and (2) SDSU has an excellent offense and put more yards on UNI than Iowa did. UNC's offense isn't that good but they had two defensive TDs against GSU and got two more turnovers in GSU territory.

The credit has to go to App's offense. The 1996 Florida Gators played the second worst GSU team ever and did not dominate on offense like that.

Since the CAA is the best conference in all of FCS, and they have three of the top 5 or 6 in the nation, and an additional 2 of the top 12 (forget about the polls), then you are really saying that ASU would beat any team right now. All because ASU just put a beat down on a bad GSU team...a team that managed 15 yard rushing against a less than stellar ASU D. xcoffeex

Cripes, we should just hand the trophy to ASU and forget about playing out the season. xlolx

GSU's Adam Urbano had fewer yards per carry against App. than he did against UNC, even if you remove his 45 yard touchdown run in the UNC game from the average. And UNC is a good defensive FBS team. Urbano is a good back. He finished with 5.8 yards per carry last year and had over 5 ypc going into the App. game. He just doesn't draw attention because he hasn't put up good season numbers because he doesn't get many carries.

And give me a break on those rankings. If the best 9 CAA teams played in a conference they'd be knocking each other lower down. I believe that every SoCon team other than Western has been in at least the ORV votes category this season, but unfortunately if you work out the combinatorics of it all, there's just no way for more than a few teams to stay ranked. When you have a split league, it's easier. Also, it helps a lot that the CAA got to play weaker FBS teams like Temple and Ball State. There's not one FBS team on the SoCon OOC that wouldn't beath both of those teams by double digits.

appmaj
October 26th, 2009, 03:08 PM

App leads 7-5 in Mens basketball since Elon joined the SoCon

AshevilleApp2
October 26th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Following that logic, the I-AA championships don't count for any of those teams. Only FCS champions count. xnodx

D2 was not what is is now. D2 was I-AA until the split. xnodx And UD was beating plenty of good DI teams back then.

Sure, recent D2 champs are not equal to the I-AA teams..but back in the days of most of UD's titles, it was all the same. xnodx

The split in division 1, and the first 1-AA Championship occurred in 1978. You won the D-2 championship in 1979, after the split in division 1. Your only other championship that came in a true playoff system came in 2003. So you've won one legitimate championship at the level you are currently playing at.

Using your logic, North Dakota State fans would be claiming 5 national championships.

ElonPride
October 26th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Owned us in every sport? Have you heard of the Commissioners Cup?

PAST COMMISSIONER CUP CHAMPIONS

1969-70 East Carolina, William & Mary

1970-71 William & Mary

1971-72 William & Mary

1972-73 William & Mary

1973-74 East Carolina

1974-75 East Carolina

1975-76 William & Mary

1976-77 East Carolina

1977-78 Appalachian State

1978-79 Appalachian State

1979-80 Appalachian State

1980-81 Appalachian State

1981-82 Appalachian State

1982-83 East Tennessee State

1983-84 Appalachian State

1984-85 Appalachian State

1985-86 Appalachian State

1986-87 Appalachian State

1987-88 Appalachian State

1988-89 Appalachian State

1989-90 Appalachian State

1990-91 Furman

1991-92 Appalachian State

1992-93 Appalachian State

1993-94 Appalachian State

1994-95 Appalachian State

1995-96 Appalachian State

1996-97 Appalachian State

1997-98 Appalachian State

1998-99 Appalachian State

1999-00 Appalachian State

2000-01 Appalachian State

2001-02 Appalachian State

2002-03 Appalachian State

2003-04 Appalachian State

2004-05 Chattanooga

2005-06 Appalachian State

2006-07 Appalachian State

2007-08 Appalachian State

2008-09 Appalachian State

What does the CC have to do with head to head contests between the two schools? I'm not saying Elon owned App in every sport, just curious about your logic.

sharkeycox
October 26th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Uh......McNeese???xwhistlex

Edge316007
October 26th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Uh......McNeese???xwhistlex

Armanti was not healthy for that game. It was a surprise to most that he was even playing

CamelCityAppFan
October 26th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Armanti was not healthy for that game. It was a surprise to most that he was even playing

With all due respect to my App friends, that's not an excuse. We left 10 points on the field in game lost by 5. App could have won that game-- no disrespect to McNeese-- they played a heckuva game and deserved to win.

CamelCityAppFan
October 26th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Learn more about the Commish Cup here (http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4000&KEY=&ATCLID=264425).

(And perhaps an update of the "X owns Y in every other sport" is in order?) xcoffeex

Edge316007
October 26th, 2009, 06:18 PM
With all due respect to my App friends, that's not an excuse. We left 10 points on the field in game lost by 5. App could have won that game-- no disrespect to McNeese-- they played a heckuva game and deserved to win.

No, it's not an excuse but it's also the truth in response to his misinformed post.

sharkeycox
October 26th, 2009, 07:07 PM

Methinks excuses are for losersxthumbsupx

sharkeycox
October 26th, 2009, 07:09 PM
No, it's not an excuse but it's also the truth in response to his misinformed post.

I'm not misinformed. You may be delusional thoughxsmiley_wix

PhoenixMan
October 26th, 2009, 07:24 PM
App leads 7-5 in Mens basketball since Elon joined the SoCon

And, Elon is 32-11 vs. App in baseball

runHENrun
October 26th, 2009, 07:25 PM

If I'm not mistaken D-2 Delaware kicked the ***** out of quite a few D1 teams through the years, check it out. Apples to apples!

I sat in the stands at UD back late 70's or early 80's and watched the D2 Hens destroy the D1 Wm & Mary Tribe (no disrespect to the Tribe). If I'm wrong about this tell me, would appreciate it. Game was like 40 to 7.

ThompsonThe
October 26th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Elon leads in defense you keep saying.......
That Must include wins against Davidson and Presbyterian.......have they won ANY games themselves this year? Have they scored ANY points this year? Just asking, trying to figure out where this wonderful defense comes from.
Did the Leon defense hold GaSo to 15 Total rushing yards?
Didn't think so.

CamelCityAppFan
October 26th, 2009, 07:27 PM

That's one sport, champ. One sport does not mean that Elon has owned ASU in basically every sport besides football. If that were the case, Elon would have won the Commissioner's Cup a time or two. (Elon was 5th last year, btw.)

PhoenixMan
October 26th, 2009, 07:41 PM
That Must include wins against Davidson and Presbyterian.......have they won ANY games themselves this year? Have they scored ANY points this year? Just asking, trying to figure out where this wonderful defense comes from.
Didn't think so.

Of course the overall stats include PC and Davidson. However, if you just include SoCon games the D still leads the conference. I'll tell you this.....the D didn't allow El Cid but two first downs in an entire half.......and they sure as heck didn't score enough to force Elon into overtime (matter of fact, they had a goose egg on the board until the last couple of minutes when our 2nd D was in) Andre Roberts, who is a great player, had one catch for 13 yards. Kind of took the luster off the Hudgins/Roberts WR pregame comparisons. But, that's ancient history, and I say it just to make my point. Elon has a tough game at Wofford coming up, that's what matters right now.

Edge316007
October 26th, 2009, 08:10 PM
I'm not misinformed. You may be delusional thoughxsmiley_wix

How am I delusional OR making excuses? The post you quoted asked when the last time someone beat a healthy Armanti was. You (incorrectly) said McNeese State. I simply corrected you. Follow me now?

McNeese75
October 26th, 2009, 08:28 PM
How am I delusional OR making excuses? The post you quoted asked when the last time someone beat a healthy Armanti was. You (incorrectly) said McNeese State. I simply corrected you. Follow me now?

Interesting since everyone including AE said he was 100% going into that game but you somehow have info otherwise?

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

ThompsonThe
October 26th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Interesting since everyone including AE said he was 100% going into that game but you somehow have info otherwise?

Doesn't really matter....you won the game, no excuses.....we have just seen the old AE back since then.
We get enthusiastic in seeing him play the way he is playing now.

Aho_Old_Guy
October 26th, 2009, 08:40 PM
~~~Nothing wrong with Burlington, NC. ~~~

When I worked there 30 years ago they had the infamous "Anywhere But Burlington" bumper stickers.

xeyebrowx

Edge316007
October 26th, 2009, 08:46 PM

Injured or healthy, I don't really care. They lost the game.

I do find it very hard to believe that he was 100% despite what he said. I'm sorry if you're getting defensive because you feel it takes away from your win, but it doesn't.

AshevilleApp
October 26th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Armanti had no part in the McNeese loss...it was our defense that decided not to show for the game

McNeese75
October 26th, 2009, 09:05 PM

I do find it very hard to believe that he was 100% despite what he said. I'm sorry if you're getting defensive because you feel it takes away from your win, but it doesn't.

Nawwww I'm not defensive. It was a great game and McNeese just happened to play really well and have the ball at the end of the game. We are pulling for ASU xnodx (but we are not interested in coming back to Boone in December if it can be avoided xsmiley_wix)

appirishmen
October 26th, 2009, 09:45 PM

we have a baseball team? haha just kidding. but they are horrible......

sharkeycox
October 26th, 2009, 09:51 PM

No sir, he was healthy and App State lost....face it.xrulesxxlolxxlolxxlolx

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 26th, 2009, 09:56 PM

What would be the other purpose for the poster asking the question "When was the last time a healthy AE was defeated" (to paraphrase) than to take away from another team's win?

You guys did it with us last year in the playoffs. Apparently you blamed a loss to Ga Southern on this a few years ago.

It has really become a convenient excuse. Just like the whole 'if not for turnovers, we would have won' Mickey Matthews deal. xtwocentsx

McNeese75
October 26th, 2009, 09:57 PM
No sir, he was healthy and App State lost....face it.xrulesxxlolxxlolxxlolx

xnonox Don't be an Azz

You should have been there for the game and then maybe you would have an appreciation for the ASU program and fans.

YoUDeeMan
October 26th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Also, it helps a lot that the CAA got to play weaker FBS teams like Temple and Ball State. There's not one FBS team on the SoCon OOC that wouldn't beath both of those teams by double digits.

Let’s compare the SoCon OOC FBS teams to the CAA OOC FBS teams:

1) Since you mentioned Temple, we’ll start with them. So far they are 5-2 overall and 4-0 in conference…good for first place in the MAC East. Now, strangely enough they handily beat (27-13) an Army team a week after that Army team beat Vanderbilt…a SoCon OOC team that destroyed Western Carolina 45-0. I am not quite sure how that comparison ends up with Temple losing to Vandy by double digits, but maybe you are the expert on those types of things. xrolleyesx

While we’re on Temple, they managed to beat Buffalo 37-13 a week after Buffalo lost a squeaker to Conf-USA UCF, 23-17. UCF happened to also beat Samford, one of your conference mates. So, yeah, I can see how you could say that any one of the SoCon OOC teams could beat Temple by double digits. xwhistlex

2) You included Ball State (admittedly dismal, but they hung 30 on Auburn’s defense), but conveniently ignored the other FBS OCC teams that the CAA and SoCon have played.

3) Oddly enough, that UNC squad that dismantled GSU 42-12 in an offensive explosion against that “good” GSU defense didn’t get your memo about beating the CAA OCC teams and somehow actually managed to lose to UVA 16-3 while gaining only 9 first downs and a whopping 174 total yards. xeekx Yes, that would be the same UVA against which W&M’s O managed a pedestrian 309 yards but beat convincingly 26-14 both on the field and in the stats. I’ll give you credit though, against that “good” Carolina defense, UVA only managed 16 first downs, and 16 points…which happened to be only 4 first downs, and 2 points less than what UVA could manage against W&M’s D.

3) Appy LOST 29-25 to 4-3 C-USA behemoth East Carolina...a real powerhouse there. In another strange twist of fate, that same East Carolina team got beat by North Carolina 31-17…yup, the same 0-3 in conference ACC team that clobbered GSU and lost to UVA (see above). That same East Carolina squad managed to beat that giant of a football team UCF 19-14…remember UCF from the Temple discussion? xcoffeex

4) Conference leader Elon got the living snot kicked out of them 35-7 to a 4-4 ACC Wake Forest team. Now you’re not going to believe this, but Wake somehow also missed your memo about SoCon OCC teams beating the CAA OCC teams and just lost to Navy…you know, one of those CAA OCC teams that Delaware plays.

5) A quick check sees that UR beat a 4-3 ACC Duke team 24-16…and by the fourth quarter is was clear that UR was the better team. Yup, Wake is behind Duke. xnodx

6) Furman got manhandled 52-12 by Mizzou 4-3, last place (0-3) Big 12 team that barely beat MAC entrant Bowling Green 27-20…a team that is 2 games behind…wait for this one…you’re going to love it…Temple! xlolx

7) And UMass barely lost to Kansas State…who is 5-3 overall, 3-1 in conference and…wait, this gets better, 2 games ahead of that Mizzou team from that big, bad, Big 12.

I could go on, but I think I’ll stop with this…the SIGNATURE OOC win for the top 5 SoCon teams has been GSU at home squeaking one out versus Albany. xrulesx

Seriously...Albany. That's it.

Congrats. xcoffeex

By the way, GSU had all of 58 yards rushing that day.

Other than that, you've got a lot of SoCon teams feeding on the Presbies of the world while losing big to mediocre FBS teams. xlolx

And yet you want to drum on about the CAA OOC schedule? xeyebrowx

Bettina90
October 26th, 2009, 10:00 PM
The question I always run around in my head is what would have happened if Logan and Siddbury were healthy for the semifinal in 2007.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 26th, 2009, 10:07 PM
The question I always run around in my head is what would have happened if Logan and Siddbury were healthy for the semifinal in 2007.

Yeah, I've tried that one before too. It falls on deaf ears in this audience.

biggie
October 26th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Same can be said for healthy AE and any RB last year, there are always "ifs".

YoUDeeMan
October 26th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Yeah, I've tried that one before too. It falls on deaf ears in this audience.

Not these ears. UR would have beaten ASU because their line could not have blocked either of those guys. And JMU beat ASU w/o the fumble.

But hey, that's football. ASU won but didn't dominate. The win is all you need...with or without excuses. xnodx

MacThor
October 26th, 2009, 10:39 PM

And defensive captain/playmaker Howell. And Hightower. The '07 Spiders were, talent-wise, probably the best UR team. The injuries on defense were crippling.

Then again, so many of them were underclassmen, and the experience is paying off big-time now. To App St. fans' credit, some of them looked at our depth chart and youth after that '07 semifinal and said we'd be scary the next few years.

I thought the '05 Spiders had a shot too, but Clawson was outcoached in the Furman QF game. Tutt (running) & Hightower were unstoppable but he went to the air early.

OK Mountaineers, you can have your thread back.

AshevilleApp2
October 27th, 2009, 04:37 AM
What does the CC have to do with head to head contests between the two schools? I'm not saying Elon owned App in every sport, just curious about your logic.

This is your quote I was referring to.

"they have owned App St. in basically every sport except football."

Now do you see my logic?

AshevilleApp2
October 27th, 2009, 04:42 AM
If I'm not mistaken D-2 Delaware kicked the ***** out of quite a few D1 teams through the years, check it out. Apples to apples!

I sat in the stands at UD back late 70's or early 80's and watched the D2 Hens destroy the D1 Wm & Mary Tribe (no disrespect to the Tribe). If I'm wrong about this tell me, would appreciate it. Game was like 40 to 7.

Were not talking about upsets. App beat Michigan in 2007, but that had no bearing on us winning the championship.Were talking about Division 1-AA/FCS Championships. D-2 championships don't figure in the equation. And you only one one of those through a legitimate playoff. There is only one school with 6 championships at this level, and they are Georgia Southern. Apples to apples my friend. xsmiley_wix

AshevilleApp2
October 27th, 2009, 04:48 AM
xnonox Don't be an Azz

You should have been there for the game and then maybe you would have an appreciation for the ASU program and fans.

Thanks. Ya'll are a class act. xthumbsupx

CamelCityAppFan
October 27th, 2009, 05:32 AM
This is your quote I was referring to.

"they have owned App St. in basically every sport except football."

Now do you see my logic?

It wasn't ElonPride who made the original "Elon owns App St", it was PhoenixMan. ElonPride was just asking what the Commish Cup was.

AshevilleApp2
October 27th, 2009, 06:20 AM
It wasn't ElonPride who made the original "Elon owns App St", it was PhoenixMan. ElonPride was just asking what the Commish Cup was.

:o I stand corrected, thanks for pointing that out. ElonPride, please accept my apologies.

ElonPride
October 27th, 2009, 06:58 AM
:o I stand corrected, thanks for pointing that out. ElonPride, please accept my apologies.

No worries!

Edge316007
October 27th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Nawwww I'm not defensive. It was a great game and McNeese just happened to play really well and have the ball at the end of the game. We are pulling for ASU xnodx (but we are not interested in coming back to Boone in December if it can be avoided xsmiley_wix)

True enough, it was a very good game even though App lost. If App had to lose, there are so many worse teams they could have lost to so I'm glad it was a team like McNeese.

That said, obviously every team has injuries for every game and sometimes those players play injured. UR probably would have beaten App 2 years ago if not for those injuries, I'll concede that. App also got lucky with the JMU fumble as well. But you can't win a championship without a little bit of luck on your side.

B&G
October 27th, 2009, 07:35 AM
True enough, it was a very good game even though App lost. If App had to lose, there are so many worse teams they could have lost to so I'm glad it was a team like McNeese.

That said, obviously every team has injuries for every game and sometimes those players play injured. UR probably would have beaten App 2 years ago if not for those injuries, I'll concede that. App also got lucky with the JMU fumble as well. But you can't win a championship without a little bit of luck on your side.

Move along everyone. Nothing to see here. Pretend you didn't read that. App only wins with skill, not luck. xwhistlex

ElonPride
October 27th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Didn't think so.

Wait, you're knocking Elon for playing DC and Presby? Didn't you guys have NCCU on the sked whom only has just one win (that came on Oct 17 against Central Methodist)?xeyebrowx

......and by the way.....GSU gained more total yards on App than against "Leon."

McNeese75
October 27th, 2009, 08:16 AM

You hit a very important nail on the head. Luck regarding injuries, breaks in a game and the just plain dumb kind is definitly a factor in wading through the season and playoffs to get to the final game.

phillyAPP
October 27th, 2009, 08:26 AM

1) Since you mentioned Temple, we’ll start with them. So far they are 5-2 overall and 4-0 in conference…good for first place in the MAC East. Now, strangely enough they handily beat (27-13) an Army team a week after that Army team beat Vanderbilt…a SoCon OOC team that destroyed Western Carolina 45-0. I am not quite sure how that comparison ends up with Temple losing to Vandy by double digits, but maybe you are the expert on those types of things. xrolleyesx

While we’re on Temple, they managed to beat Buffalo 37-13 a week after Buffalo lost a squeaker to Conf-USA UCF, 23-17. UCF happened to also beat Samford, one of your conference mates. So, yeah, I can see how you could say that any one of the SoCon OOC teams could beat Temple by double digits. xwhistlex

2) You included Ball State (admittedly dismal, but they hung 30 on Auburn’s defense), but conveniently ignored the other FBS OCC teams that the CAA and SoCon have played.

3) Oddly enough, that UNC squad that dismantled GSU 42-12 in an offensive explosion against that “good” GSU defense didn’t get your memo about beating the CAA OCC teams and somehow actually managed to lose to UVA 16-3 while gaining only 9 first downs and a whopping 174 total yards. xeekx Yes, that would be the same UVA against which W&M’s O managed a pedestrian 309 yards but beat convincingly 26-14 both on the field and in the stats. I’ll give you credit though, against that “good” Carolina defense, UVA only managed 16 first downs, and 16 points…which happened to be only 4 first downs, and 2 points less than what UVA could manage against W&M’s D.

3) Appy LOST 29-25 to 4-3 C-USA behemoth East Carolina...a real powerhouse there. In another strange twist of fate, that same East Carolina team got beat by North Carolina 31-17…yup, the same 0-3 in conference ACC team that clobbered GSU and lost to UVA (see above). That same East Carolina squad managed to beat that giant of a football team UCF 19-14…remember UCF from the Temple discussion? xcoffeex

4) Conference leader Elon got the living snot kicked out of them 35-7 to a 4-4 ACC Wake Forest team. Now you’re not going to believe this, but Wake somehow also missed your memo about SoCon OCC teams beating the CAA OCC teams and just lost to Navy…you know, one of those CAA OCC teams that Delaware plays.

5) A quick check sees that UR beat a 4-3 ACC Duke team 24-16…and by the fourth quarter is was clear that UR was the better team. Yup, Wake is behind Duke. xnodx

6) Furman got manhandled 52-12 by Mizzou 4-3, last place (0-3) Big 12 team that barely beat MAC entrant Bowling Green 27-20…a team that is 2 games behind…wait for this one…you’re going to love it…Temple! xlolx

7) And UMass barely lost to Kansas State…who is 5-3 overall, 3-1 in conference and…wait, this gets better, 2 games ahead of that Mizzou team from that big, bad, Big 12.

I could go on, but I think I’ll stop with this…the SIGNATURE OOC win for the top 5 SoCon teams has been GSU at home squeaking one out versus Albany. xrulesx

Seriously...Albany. That's it.

Congrats. xcoffeex

By the way, GSU had all of 58 yards rushing that day.

Other than that, you've got a lot of SoCon teams feeding on the Presbies of the world while losing big to mediocre FBS teams. xlolx

And yet you want to drum on about the CAA OOC schedule? xeyebrowx

VERY WELL stated CLUCK !!

This year, the CAA is the top of FCS with NO DOUBT.

PhoenixMan
October 27th, 2009, 08:33 AM

Yes, and it was bigappfan that got me started with a post stating that he was disaapointed when he heard Elon was joining the SoCon, as he felt they would "drag down the conference". xnonono2x

CamelCityAppFan
October 27th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Wait, you're knocking Elon for playing DC and Presby? Didn't you guys have NCCU on the sked whom only has just one win (that came on Oct 17 against Central Methodist)?xeyebrowx

......and by the way.....GSU gained more total yards on App than against "Leon."

We had one cupcake, you had two. xcoffeex

But do you really want to use GaSo as a comparison? It is true that you allowed fewer yards, and points, to GaSo.

GaSo gained 171 yards against App, and only 153 yards against Elon, for a mind-boggling difference of 18 yards. App allowed 16 points, Elon allowed 14 points.

But let's look the offense as well.

Elon racked up a respectable 423 yards of total offense against GaSo. App put 712 yards of offense on Elon-- that's a difference of 289 yards! xeekx

Elon scored 28 against GaSo, App scored 52-- that's a 4-score difference.

For cryin' out loud, if you want to play the common opponent game, use El Cid...xcoffeex

CamelCityAppFan
October 27th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Yes, and it was bigappfan that got me started with a post stating that he was disaapointed when he heard Elon was joining the SoCon, as he felt they would "drag down the conference". xnonono2x

And in the same post he said he was impressed with how well Elon has done building their programs. (He did take a cheap shot at the town, but as App fans we get that all the time. You gotta just let that go.)

Do you still think since joining the conference Elon has owned App in basically every sport besides football, or is it Elon has owned App in basically every sport that is baseball?

PhoenixSupreme
October 27th, 2009, 09:17 AM
And in the same post he said he was impressed with how well Elon has done building their programs. (He did take a cheap shot at the town, but as App fans we get that all the time. You gotta just let that go.)

Do you still think since joining the conference Elon has owned App in basically every sport besides football, or is it Elon has owned App in basically every sport that is baseball?

Irrelevant to the main topic but you forgot soccer and tennis too :Dxtwocentsx

SoCon48
October 27th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Irrelevant to the main topic but you forgot soccer and tennis too :Dxtwocentsx
How about Track and Field? Oh, I forgot, you don't have one.

SoCon48
October 27th, 2009, 10:28 AM

Oh, you mean 18 whole yards. That's a really significant figure.xrolleyesx

ElonPride
October 27th, 2009, 10:58 AM
We had one cupcake, you had two. xcoffeex

But do you really want to use GaSo as a comparison? It is true that you allowed fewer yards, and points, to GaSo.

GaSo gained 171 yards against App, and only 153 yards against Elon, for a mind-boggling difference of 18 yards. App allowed 16 points, Elon allowed 14 points.

But let's look the offense as well.

Elon racked up a respectable 423 yards of total offense against GaSo. App put 712 yards of offense on Elon-- that's a difference of 289 yards! xeekx

Elon scored 28 against GaSo, App scored 52-- that's a 4-score difference.

For cryin' out loud, if you want to play the common opponent game, use El Cid...xcoffeex

THAT WAS ONE OF YOUR OWN FANS THAT STARTED COMPARING TO TWO GAMES!!!! Wow, you guys are amazing.

ElonPride
October 27th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Oh, you mean 18 whole yards. That's a really significant figure.xrolleyesx

Just like your buddy that posted "did Leon hold GSU to 15 rushing yards?" Nope, we held them to 31.....16 yards difference, that's a real significant figure. xeyebrowx

It works both ways man.

CamelCityAppFan
October 27th, 2009, 11:01 AM
THAT WAS ONE OF YOUR OWN FANS THAT STARTED COMPARING TO TWO GAMES!!!! Wow, you guys are amazing.

I know, but you guys keep taking the bait...xsmiley_wix

PhoenixMan
October 27th, 2009, 11:10 AM

His post was meant to be smarta#@, and that's how it came across. He finished with something along the lines of how he feels for the student athletes who play in such a crappy place. No, I don't think Elon has owned App in all the other sports besides football. We have in baseball, but recruiting anyplace with snow and cold for baseball is tough. Just trying to make a point that Elon hasn't "dragged the conference down". Far from it.

bigappfan10
October 27th, 2009, 11:27 AM
I apologize for the Burlingtonians upset by my comment. I actually lived there for a year, landing a really bad job right out of App in some run down strip mall named Cum Park Plaza ( not making that up) thus it wasn't the best experience for that area. I actually have visited friends at Elon and yes, its a really nice campus. So, there was a compliment somewhere in my earlier post about your team's development that unfortuantely was lost in a disparaging remark about a small city nearby. Again, my sincere apologies.

PhoenixMan
October 27th, 2009, 12:39 PM
I apologize for the Burlingtonians upset by my comment. I actually lived there for a year, landing a really bad job right out of App in some run down strip mall named Cum Park Plaza ( not making that up) thus it wasn't the best experience for that area. I actually have visited friends at Elon and yes, its a really nice campus. So, there was a compliment somewhere in my earlier post about your team's development that unfortuantely was lost in a disparaging remark about a small city nearby. Again, my sincere apologies.

Thanks. Based on what the part of town you mentioned is like, I understand your remarks. That area of Burlington is in need of an overhaul.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 31st, 2009, 04:27 PM

Yeah, but you're comparing the worst SoCon team to Nova in this situation.

Don't look now, but Samford is probably the second worst team in the SoCon...and you compare them to Nova?

And UNC got two defensive TDs and two more turnovers in GSU territory. Now I know that UVA did beat UNC, but you have to admit that UNC's overall performance for the season is much better. They were competitive with a pretty good FSU team (brutal schedule, and a decent record) and they beat Virginia Tech.

Would have been a completely different game with AE and you know it.

At least Wake has beaten Stanford and could possibly beat Miami today. Other than UNC no one UVA has beaten is worth a crap.

Missouri's losses
Nebraska
Oklahoma State
Texas

Kansas State's losses
Louisiana-Lafayette
UCLA
Texas Tech (blown completely out)

Also consider that UMass is higher up in the CAA than Furman will most likely be in the SoCon