PDA

View Full Version : Weber State @ Montana Game Thread

I Bleed Purple
October 24th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I believe I made the one in the regular season last year and not the playoff thread, so I'm getting the jump early.

Biggest game in the Sky this year so far. I was also tempted to type in "Monana" but that's just not proper for a game thread.

Discuss.

Discuss.

20 pages.

Hauck's a bum. :p

Proud Griz Man
October 24th, 2009, 07:41 PM
I believe I made the one in the regular season last year and not the playoff thread, so I'm getting the jump early.

Biggest game in the Sky this year so far. I was also tempted to type in "Monana" but that's just not proper for a game thread.

Discuss.20 pages. Mac kisses Hauck's bum. :p

Two strong teams. I sense that there is mutual respect, but mutual dislike. xnodx
Mistakes/bad execution have resulted in three Weber losses. But when Weber executes/avoids interceptions they have won. Which Montana team will we see?

Silenoz
October 24th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Hopefully we show up for 4 quarters for once

And someone needs to draw Phenicie a map to Mariani. Two looks a game is ridiculous

I Bleed Purple
October 24th, 2009, 07:56 PM
I was also basically solo last year. Wasn't 'til after the UM game that other Weber fans started posted on the site. Not that'll really change this year, though.

BearIt
October 24th, 2009, 08:29 PM
I was also basically solo last year. Wasn't 'til after the UM game that other Weber fans started posted on the site. Not that'll really change this year, though.

It will change this year. There may be some that post pre game, but after Montana wins, the other Weber fans won't be posting. xsmiley_wix:D

In all seriousness, if Montana's defense doesn't fix itself this week I have my doubts about how well we can hold back Weber. I think it is going to take us winning the turnover battle to win this game. I don't see us being able to force too many punts as things stand right now. That being said, when Higgins has an off day he is known to turn it over.

Poker Alan
October 24th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Only Weber can beat Weber in the FCS xrolleyesx xwhistlex xtwocentsx

I Bleed Purple
October 24th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Only Weber can beat Weber in the FCS xrolleyesx xwhistlex xtwocentsx

Damn straight.

Well, at least without the smilies.

I Bleed Purple
October 24th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Come on guys, letting this get to the second page is so unprofessional.

Now that the BSC updated their stats pages, here are some big clashes.

Montana is first in scoring offense and second in scoring defense.
Weber is third in scoring offense and first in scoring defense.

Montana and Weber are one and two in punt return avg respectively, but...
Weber and Montana are one and two in punt coverage respectively.

Neither team can rely on their kicking game for points. Last in the league in FG percentage.

Weber is number two in sacks. Montana has given up the fewest sacks.

Weber is number one in first downs. Montana is first in opponent's first downs.

Montana is first in third down conversions. Weber is first in opponent's first down conversion.

If I'm up to it, I'll get into the strength vs. weakness matchups.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
October 24th, 2009, 10:28 PM
All I know is...Happy Halloween! :D

I have my tickets to the game, best get yours and get to the game. xnodxxpeacex

uofmman1122
October 24th, 2009, 11:19 PM
So happy I have that day off!

Too bad I can't make the game. :(

Also, Weber sucks, especially at Washington Griz. :p xwhistlex

Native
October 24th, 2009, 11:22 PM
I was also basically solo last year. ....

xnonox No you were not, young 'un. xlolx

Native
October 24th, 2009, 11:28 PM
...if Montana's defense doesn't fix itself this week I have my doubts about how well we can hold back Weber. I think it is going to take us winning the turnover battle to win this game. I don't see us being able to force too many punts as things stand right now. That being said, when Higgins has an off day he is known to turn it over.

Almost a mirror image of Weber. xoopsx

In all likelihood, whichever team executes better, with fewer mistakes, wins the game. xcoffeex

uofmman1122
October 24th, 2009, 11:36 PM
In all likelihood, whichever team executes better, with fewer mistakes, wins the game. xcoffeexhttp://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t109/Marty_Grant1122/captainobvious.jpg

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

GolfingGriz
October 24th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Hopefully we can run the ball and thus try to control the clock a little bit. After giving up atleast 30 points our last three conference games we better live up to our conference average of 44 points a game cause we're gonna need all of them. Hopefully we can get a couple picks cause our D isn't doing too well defending the pass this year.

GolfingGriz
October 24th, 2009, 11:48 PM
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t109/Marty_Grant1122/captainobvious.jpg

Love it! I'd give you some rep, but the greater powers denied me.

Grizo406
October 25th, 2009, 12:15 AM
I watched a small portion of the UNC/Weber game today.

Weber's super human running back, Smith, wasn't playing in the part of the game I saw, but his replacement, (Bolen?), looked to have the same type of skills that Trevyn has.

The Wildcat's running game is amazing, a lot of fun to watch, and it has me scared silly for 31 October.

IMO, and as much as I hate to say it, I think Weber is going to strut out of Washington/Grizzly with a win, and hardly break a sweat doing it...xbawlingx

Native
October 25th, 2009, 12:24 AM
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t109/Marty_Grant1122/captainobvious.jpg

I learned the line from the Montana fans in denial after the Griz gagged in Ogden last year. :p

You might wish to note that my "obvious" statement is not so obvious for all matchups, since both Weber State and Montana have survived mistake-prone games against lesser opponents. xnonox xlolx

I Bleed Purple
October 25th, 2009, 01:03 AM
Hopefully we can run the ball and thus try to control the clock a little bit. After giving up atleast 30 points our last three conference games we better live up to our conference average of 44 points a game cause we're gonna need all of them. Hopefully we can get a couple picks cause our D isn't doing too well defending the pass this year.

I think Montana is tied for last in ball possession and Weber is the only Big Sky team to hold on to the ball for over half a game.

Native
October 25th, 2009, 01:12 AM

Weber's super human running back, Smith, wasn't playing in the part of the game I saw, but his replacement, (Bolen?), looked to have the same type of skills that Trevyn has.

The Wildcat's running game is amazing, a lot of fun to watch, and it has me scared silly for 31 October.

IMO, and as much as I hate to say it, I think Weber is going to strut out of Washington/Grizzly with a win, and hardly break a sweat doing it...xbawlingx

Thanks for the tip of the hat, Grizo. Bo Bolen accumulated 207 yards and a TD against UNC today.

Trevyn should be back next week. I wonder if Mac held Smith out today just to piss him off in preparation for Halloween?!???

I Bleed Purple
October 25th, 2009, 02:14 AM
xnonox No you were not, young 'un. xlolx

Don't recall you in last year's thread.

http://anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48499

I was the only one with the Weber helmet in that thread.

It was quite entertaining though, going through the thread again and being exposed to the lovely Wolfman.

And I guess I'm still that shallow since I haven't changed my signature yet.

Proud Griz Man
October 25th, 2009, 11:17 AM
The Last three matchups b/t Weber and Griz were battles.

http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/pages/media_item.aspx?n=7677&m=18

http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/pages/media_item.aspx?n=7133&m=18

http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/pages/media_item.aspx?n=7146&m=18

mlbowl
October 25th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I think Montana is tied for last in ball possession and Weber is the only Big Sky team to hold on to the ball for over half a game.

I recall an NFL game a few weeks ago where Miami had the ball for three quarters and lostxeekx...I know...I know...Andrew Selle/Justin Roper is no Peyton Manning:p

Silenoz
October 25th, 2009, 11:45 AM

Hard to eat up ToP when your return game gives you a short field every possession

Montanan
October 25th, 2009, 12:34 PM

i usually respect your opinions xcoolx, but this year you've been way to eager to call for Griz losses.xeekx:p

here's to the squeal of the pig, a Griz victory squeal, of course! xthumbsupx

I Bleed Purple
October 25th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Hard to eat up ToP when your return game gives you a short field every possession

Weber is first in kickoff returns and second in punt returns. That explanation don't fly.

Grizo406
October 25th, 2009, 03:39 PM
i usually respect your opinions xcoolx, but this year you've been way to eager to call for Griz losses.xeekx:p

here's to the squeal of the pig, a Griz victory squeal, of course! xthumbsupx

I've been "scared" a few times this season, and I think justifiably so. In retrospect, my fears weren't justified, and I'm glad I was wrong.

You wanna' see "way too eager", wait until you hear my pick on the Griz/Bobcat game!xlolxxlolxxpeacex

Poker Alan
October 25th, 2009, 09:15 PM
This thread needs some more love... early prediction... Weber St. starts off strong, has a lead at half, Hauck says whatever he has been saying at halftime the last 5 games, Griz come back and win a close one at the end.

http://www.takemytrip.com/images/448_IMG_2055.jpg

Grizaholic17
October 25th, 2009, 10:36 PM
The Grizzlies have one thing going for them...Wa/Griz. Other than that, we are outmatched.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
October 25th, 2009, 10:52 PM
It was quite entertaining though, going through the thread again and being exposed to the lovely Wolfman.

I'm convinced he is now writing for the Kaimen. :D

GrizFanStuckInUtah
October 25th, 2009, 10:55 PM
I am making a prediction, there will be throw back jerseys for this game. xnodx

And if you aint there, you are square! xrulesx;)

putter
October 26th, 2009, 12:07 PM
QB edge - Weber
RB edge - if Hauck plays both Reynolds and TBF bigger edge to UM, even if not
Receiver edge - UM (with Mariani, Palmer and Sambrano)
Special Teams - even (Toone = Mariani)
Kicking game - Weber, but not by much
O-Line edge - push
D-Edge -- Weber (right now)

After watching the EWU game this one scares me also because the Griz can't stop the pass at all. Yardage in this game will be huge and so will the score. Could be the last one with the ball wins this
Wa/Griz will be rocking so we will see how the Webs handle it.

45-42 Griz with home field advantage

Grizaholic17
October 26th, 2009, 12:08 PM
I can't believe I have to wait an entire school/work week for this game. I am so excited. Weber St. knows how to play in bad weather (i.e. rain/snow/wind), we'll see if they can play in just the cold! I am interested to see if the Griz actually show up in the first half of this game. Of all games, this is the one to do it

mlbowl
October 26th, 2009, 12:18 PM
the Griz can't stop the pass at all.

any word on our injured CBs?

Grizaholic17
October 26th, 2009, 12:25 PM

Let's pray Fischer and other LB's and our front have a stellar game stopping Smith so that they have to resort to our secondary. They have so many weapons that can expose our weak spots. Hopefully these injury reports come out soon.

putter
October 26th, 2009, 12:41 PM

I have not heard anything and we probably won't. I also think the scheme that the Griz run allows for teams to dink and dunk their way down the field (UC Davis, Sac, PSU) Teams with quality QB's who have a big arm can take the Griz deep like Herrick, Nichols and now.....Higgins.

Native
October 26th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Weber is first in kickoff returns and second in punt returns. That explanation don't fly.

You missed Silenoz' point, brotha. Since Weber is so good in the return game, they get lots of short field drives, which reduces time of possession compared to starting from their own 20 yard line.

Native
October 26th, 2009, 12:53 PM
I have not heard anything and we probably won't. I also think the scheme that the Griz run allows for teams to dink and dunk their way down the field (UC Davis, Sac, PSU) Teams with quality QB's who have a big arm can take the Griz deep like Herrick, Nichols and now.....Higgins.

We'll take whatever you give us, putter! xthumbsupx

Native
October 26th, 2009, 01:28 PM
QB edge - Weber
O-Line edge - push

After watching the EWU game this one scares me also because the Griz can't stop the pass at all. Yardage in this game will be huge and so will the score. Could be the last one with the ball wins this

Nice analysis, putter. xthumbsupx

Scary if you think Weber's defense has the edge over Montana, but makes sense considering that Weber is the #1 scoring defense in Big Sky conference play, allowing just 19.2 points per game compared to #6 Montana's 28.8 points per game.

Of course, UM has not yet played cellar dwellers Idaho State or Northern Colorado, as has Weber. Total defense might be a better comparative measure. WSU allows an average of 384.5 yards per game (4th), and Montana allows an average of 452.8 yards (6th). It is noteworthy that Weber is 1st in red zone defense, which helps explain its standing as the Big Sky's #1 scoring defense.

Montana does have the #1 rushing offense and the #3 rushing defense, so you might be on target predicting a successful Griz running game, but I can't give the edge in receiving to Montana. Mariani is fantastic with 6 TD receptions, but Toone (7 TDs), Phillips (5 TDs) and Collins (4 TDs) are just as dangerous. No other receivers on either team have more than 3 TD receptions.

Montana's decided home field advantage is mitigated this year by Weber's recent experience. Last year's playoff experience at Cal Poly and WA GRIZ and this years' FBS matchups give the Wildcats the big game experience necessary to come in to Missoula and win.

I am not predicting anything but a great game, I just like our chances.

I Bleed Purple
October 26th, 2009, 01:49 PM
You missed Silenoz' point, brotha. Since Weber is so good in the return game, they get lots of short field drives, which reduces time of possession compared to starting from their own 20 yard line.

His point seemed to be that UM is last in TOP because they have short fields all the time. Weber is tops in the league in TOP and their return game is just as good as UM's.

I Bleed Purple
October 26th, 2009, 01:58 PM
QB edge - Weber
O-Line edge - push

QB- Depends on which Higgins we get
RB- Our backup has the highest single game total and it was against statistically the best defense in the conference. I don't think there's much of an advantage either way.
WR- Without Nakamura maybe, but I'll take our receivers against most any team in FCS (unless they drop the ball like they did last week xmadx )
ST- Could be a game decider. Both teams are capable
Kicking- ugh.
O-line- I'd give the advantage to UM here. I've been more impressed with them over the running backs in the past. They weren't great against Davis, the last time I watched them, but I think they're a bit better than ours is currently.
D- I guess Weber, but we're more prone to big plays than sustained drives. All four UNC drives had at least a play over 30 yards.

gbhmt
October 26th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Nice analysis, putter. xthumbsupx

Scary if you think Weber's defense has the edge over Montana, but makes sense considering that Weber is the #1 scoring defense in Big Sky conference play, allowing just 19.2 points per game compared to #6 Montana's 28.8 points per game.

Of course, UM has not yet played cellar dwellers Idaho State or Northern Colorado, as has Weber. Total defense might be a better comparative measure. WSU allows an average of 384.5 yards per game (4th), and Montana allows an average of 452.8 yards (6th). It is noteworthy that Weber is 1st in red zone defense, which helps explain its standing as the Big Sky's #1 scoring defense.

Montana does have the #1 rushing offense and the #3 rushing defense, so you might be on target predicting a successful Griz running game, but I can't give the edge in receiving to Montana. Mariani is fantastic with 6 TD receptions, but Toone (7 TDs), Phillips (5 TDs) and Collins (4 TDs) are just as dangerous. No other receivers on either team have more than 3 TD receptions.

Montana's decided home field advantage is mitigated this year by Weber's recent experience. Last year's playoff experience at Cal Poly and WA GRIZ and this years' FBS matchups give the Wildcats the big game experience necessary to come in to Missoula and win.

I am not predicting anything but a great game, I just like our chances.

The thing that keeps Weber from having an edge in the WR category (I personally think they're even) is UM's TE's. They're all stellar and they get a decent amount of touches.

I think the success of our defense will depend on the health and play of our starting CB's. I firmly believe that in man coverage, Trumaine Johnson can lock down Toone. However, I think he's the only man on the team that can.

gbhmt
October 26th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Also I think our defensive scheme's success will be the opposite of what IBP just mentioned for Weber. We don't give up many big plays, but if we play the soft cover two like we've been doing, sustained drives may become too easy to run.

Native
October 26th, 2009, 02:22 PM
The thing that keeps Weber from having an edge in the WR category (I personally think they're even) is UM's TE's. They're all stellar and they get a decent amount of touches.

I think the success of our defense will depend on the health and play of our starting CB's. I firmly believe that in man coverage, Trumaine Johnson can lock down Toone. However, I think he's the only man on the team that can.

Good point, but Josh Morris can lock down Mariani, just as he locked down Ramses Barden last year at Cal Poly. The UM secondary is superb, but the Wildcat secondary might be a bit better. Johnson can't lock down Toone and Phillips and Collins at the same time. Phillips can burn ANYBODY and does so routinely.

Now that Cody Nakamura is out for the season, the Griz probably do have an edge at tight end, but Francisco and Halfhill are coming along just fine. Overall, WSU might have a slight edge in defenive secondary and receivers.

Also I think our defensive scheme's success will be the opposite of what IBP just mentioned for Weber. We don't give up many big plays, but if we play the soft cover two like we've been doing, sustained drives may become too easy to run.

xnodx

putter
October 26th, 2009, 03:18 PM
I think this game will be just like last years. One team will jump on top and another run will be made. If you remember, the Griz jumped out to a 21-10 lead before some turnovers and big plays by Weber pushed them on top. Two teams that, as has been pointed out, have weapons on both sides of the field. Weber will be ready for the crowd, as was EWU, but it can be enough to keep the Griz fired up if they find themselves in a deficit.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
October 26th, 2009, 03:25 PM
This one will be about match ups, we can entertain ourselves this week by looking at stats but it won't mean squat come 1pm on Halloween :D It is really hard for me to see how they stack up directly against each other and that is what is going to be cool about this game. I hope for a hard fought Griz win with lots of points on the board. xpeacex

I Bleed Purple
October 26th, 2009, 04:57 PM
I'm fairly amused about egriz posters and their lack of knowledge (or is it stupidity?) about last year's WSU incident.

I guess I'll try to make this as short as possible, but my education makes it kind of hard. Weber State had no FELONS (love the use of caps over there) on its team last year. We had a player suspended for a few games due to off the field legal issues, in which he plead to misdemeanors.

Incidentally, and possibly humorously, the STUDENT NEWSPAPER (I can do caps, too) broke the story. But of course, The Signpost's agenda is purely news while the Kaiman has it out for UM's football program.

See, I couldn't keep it short. Damn! I hope they can understand well enough.

This may be a little more smack than usual, but it's another site, so it should be allowed. :D

gbhmt
October 26th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I'm fairly amused about egriz posters and their lack of knowledge (or is it stupidity?) about last year's WSU incident.

I guess I'll try to make this as short as possible, but my education makes it kind of hard. Weber State had no FELONS (love the use of caps over there) on its team last year. We had a player suspended for a few games due to off the field legal issues, in which he plead to misdemeanors.

Incidentally, and possibly humorously, the STUDENT NEWSPAPER (I can do caps, too) broke the story. But of course, The Signpost's agenda is purely news while the Kaiman has it out for UM's football program.

See, I couldn't keep it short. Damn! I hope they can understand well enough.

This may be a little more smack than usual, but it's another site, so it should be allowed. :D

Wrong thread? xrotatehx

Native
October 26th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Wrong thread? xrotatehx

Yup. xoopsx

Pleeeeaaaaaase take that shat somewhere else. xpeacex

I Bleed Purple
October 26th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Wrong thread? xrotatehx

Nope. Pertinent to this thread. Goes to the quality of the football coach. You know, for letting a FELON play football and all.

Silenoz
October 26th, 2009, 05:09 PM

xeyebrowx

Silenoz
October 26th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Outlier maybe?

I mean our ToP is low, but our return men are tops/near the top in the nation and our PPG is high. I'd think there is some correlation

GrizFanStuckInUtah
October 26th, 2009, 05:15 PM

You probably have more posts over there than I do xpeacex

gbhmt
October 26th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Nope. Pertinent to this thread. Goes to the quality of the football coach. You know, for letting a FELON play football and all.

Not pertinent to this thread. There's a million other threads for that. Take that ***** elsewhere, this thread's for talking football, not talking empty smack about a coach since you apparently can't find anything else to talk smack about.

I Bleed Purple
October 26th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Not pertinent to this thread. There's a million other threads for that. Take that ***** elsewhere, this thread's for talking football, not talking empty smack about a coach since you apparently can't find anything else to talk smack about.

Actually, it's smack about a SELECT portion of griz fans than about the coaches, but point is taken.

It's also a good way to keep this thread on the first page through Friday.

I Bleed Purple
October 26th, 2009, 06:12 PM
You probably have more posts over there than I do xpeacex

You have negative posts?

HLNgriz
October 26th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Mariani and Toone can not be locked down by either team. I feel that Mariani has the edge in yards after that catch in this one.

I Bleed Purple
October 26th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Outlier maybe?

I mean our ToP is low, but our return men are tops/near the top in the nation and our PPG is high. I'd think there is some correlation

To be honest, thinking about it, I'd say it's more of a indication of UM's defense than its offense. From what I remember seeing what I've looked at ESPN Gamecasts, UM goes on a lot of sustained drives. UM, I believe, runs more than passes. However, the defense also gives up long drives. I remember the Davis game, Davis went on long time consuming drives. Didn't necessarily score, but that's the style of the defense. Weber has a lot of sustained drives as well, often through the short passing game., but as a defense we give up a lot of big plays. Drives end faster for the opponents, I'm thinking.

Bronco
October 26th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Can't wait for this one.
Both teams have great skill players on offense and both teams are a little suspect
on defense....last team with the ball wins

malibudude
October 26th, 2009, 07:14 PM

I think that the TOP stat for UM might be skewed a bit by the Cal Poly game. UM had 3 quick strike TD's. Cal Poly had close to a 10 minute advantage in TOP.

gbhmt
October 26th, 2009, 08:51 PM
To be honest, thinking about it, I'd say it's more of a indication of UM's defense than its offense. From what I remember seeing what I've looked at ESPN Gamecasts, UM goes on a lot of sustained drives. UM, I believe, runs more than passes. However, the defense also gives up long drives. I remember the Davis game, Davis went on long time consuming drives. Didn't necessarily score, but that's the style of the defense. Weber has a lot of sustained drives as well, often through the short passing game., but as a defense we give up a lot of big plays. Drives end faster for the opponents, I'm thinking.

Yep, that's right on. That's what makes this game prone to be a very high scoring game. Both teams' offenses play to the opposing teams' weaknesses on defense. Montana breaks out big plays on offense (unless the run game is actually working) and Weber has long, sustained drives, and both defenses defend those respective schemes seemingly somewhat poorly. I'd have to say that this game will come straight down to the turnover margin.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
October 26th, 2009, 08:58 PM
You have negative posts?

18, but I was looking for tickets and such :) They are usually pretty positive :Dxsmiley_wix

I Bleed Purple
October 26th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Yep, that's right on. That's what makes this game prone to be a very high scoring game. Both teams' offenses play to the opposing teams' weaknesses on defense. Montana breaks out big plays on offense (unless the run game is actually working) and Weber has long, sustained drives, and both defenses defend those respective schemes seemingly somewhat poorly. I'd have to say that this game will come straight down to the turnover margin.

Unfortunately, with football, one stat overwhelmingly indicates the winner of the game, and that is turnover margin. A differential of two or more I'd say tells you the winner 90% of the time. All the other stats are IF turnover margin is equal.

I think the other "stat" is special teams. Both teams can break one. I don't know about UM's kick return game, but the other three return games are dynamite. What's great is that both UM and Weber are great against the punt, too. We're average in kickoff coverage, but that has a lot to do with the one awesome return the PSU guy had.

Iowagriz
October 26th, 2009, 09:23 PM
All stats aside, I believe that if the Griz win by 8 or more then it bodes well for the post season. Weber and Eastern are good indicators of how we might play in December.

If we continue to play flat early, then it might be a short post season.

Native
October 26th, 2009, 09:28 PM
All stats aside, I believe that if the Griz win by 8 or more then it bodes well for the post season. Weber and Eastern are good indicators of how we might play in December.

If we continue to play flat early, then it might be a short post season.

AZGriz always criticizes WSU for scheduling those out-of-conference FBS money games, but I feel the same way about Weber's games at Wyoming and Colorado State this year. They have prepared the Wildcats for the post season.

Something tells me the Griz will not have any trouble getting up for this game.

CrunchGriz
October 26th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Unfortunately, with football, one stat overwhelmingly indicates the winner of the game, and that is turnover margin. A differential of two or more I'd say tells you the winner 90% of the time. All the other stats are IF turnover margin is equal.

I think the other "stat" is special teams. Both teams can break one. I don't know about UM's kick return game, but the other three return games are dynamite. What's great is that both UM and Weber are great against the punt, too. We're average in kickoff coverage, but that has a lot to do with the one awesome return the PSU guy had.

UM's kickoff return game is very good, with two players in the top 30 in the country. Jabin Sambrano (13th in the country) has averaged 25.91 yards per return, and Peter Nguyen (30th in the country) has averaged 24.5 yards per return. Neither have broken one to the house yet, but both have been one defender away at least once. You can kick it to either and we won't mind.

Native
October 27th, 2009, 12:06 AM
UM's kickoff return game is very good, with two players in the top 30 in the country. Jabin Sambrano (13th in the country) has averaged 25.91 yards per return, and Peter Nguyen (30th in the country) has averaged 24.5 yards per return. Neither have broken one to the house yet, but both have been one defender away at least once. You can kick it to either and we won't mind.

Looks like another draw. Both Snoy, the primary kicker, and Williams, the backup kicker, can kickoff directionally, 65+ yards, to either sideline without going out of bounds.

KICKOFF COVERAGE G No. Yards Avg. Return TB Net Avg.
2. Weber State 6 39 2538 65.1 650 7 44.8
3. Montana 4 29 1829 63.1 453 4 44.7

PUNT RETURN AVG Cl G No. Yards TD Long Avg.
1. Marc Mariani-UM SR 4 6 217 1 82 36.2
2. Tim Toone-WSU SR 6 11 243 1 95 22.1

KICK RETURN AVG Cl G No. Yards TD Long Avg.
3. Jabin Sambrano-UM SO 4 7 184 0 50 26.3
4. Bo Bolen-WSU FR 6 16 409 0 67 25.6
5. Peter Nguyen-UM FR 4 10 245 0 61 24.5

GolfingGriz
October 27th, 2009, 01:06 AM
Looks like another draw. Both Snoy, the primary kicker, and Williams, the backup kicker, can kick directionally, 65+ yards, to either sideline without going out of bounds.

KICKOFF COVERAGE G No. Yards Avg. Return TB Net Avg.
2. Weber State 6 39 2538 65.1 650 7 44.8
3. Montana 4 29 1829 63.1 453 4 44.7

PUNT RETURN AVG Cl G No. Yards TD Long Avg.
1. Marc Mariani-UM SR 4 6 217 1 82 36.2
2. Tim Toone-WSU SR 6 11 243 1 95 22.1

KICK RETURN AVG Cl G No. Yards TD Long Avg.
3. Jabin Sambrano-UM SO 4 7 184 0 50 26.3
4. Bo Bolen-WSU FR 6 16 409 0 67 25.6
5. Peter Nguyen-UM FR 4 10 245 0 61 24.5

With those punt return numbers I don't think either team will be too eager to let punts just fly. Might be alot of directional stuff. Toone's numbers are very good, but Mariani's are unreal!

Native
October 27th, 2009, 11:31 AM
With those punt return numbers I don't think either team will be too eager to let punts just fly. Might be alot of directional stuff. Toone's numbers are very good, but Mariani's are unreal!

Perhaps punts are less risky, since there is no penalty for out of bounds kicks.

CrunchGriz
October 27th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Perhaps punts are less risky, since there is no penalty for out of bounds kicks.

I would be amazed if both punters weren't doing extra practice this week on punts angled to go as far as possible but definitely out of bounds.

Native
October 27th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I would be amazed if both punters weren't doing extra practice this week on punts angled to go as far as possible but definitely out of bounds.

xlolxxlolxxlolx xnodx

Screamin_Eagle174
October 27th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Well after today's news, everyone should know who I'm rootin' for! xlolx xlolx

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3214/3093051371_6203425f1e_o.gif

GrizFanStuckInUtah
October 27th, 2009, 07:08 PM

You like us 364.25 days a year anyway right? xsmiley_wix

I Bleed Purple
October 27th, 2009, 07:19 PM

After all my rooting for you against UM and MSU, you have to go and do this. I really have to reevaluate our relationship. xbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingx

Screamin_Eagle174
October 27th, 2009, 07:28 PM
After all my rooting for you against UM and MSU, you have to go and do this. I really have to reevaluate our relationship. xbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingx

xlolx

As if EWU beating the Montana schools wasn't a huge benefit for WSU's chances at a BSC title and autobid... xlolx

Screamin_Eagle174
October 27th, 2009, 07:29 PM
You like us 364.25 days a year anyway right? xsmiley_wix

Eh, more like 1.5 to 2.25 days a year, depending on the schedule. xlolxxnodx

Native
October 27th, 2009, 08:02 PM
xlolx

As if EWU beating the Montana schools wasn't a huge benefit for WSU's chances at a BSC title and autobid... xlolx

xlolx So that was an EWU victory in Missoula after all, Eags? xnutsx

Screamin_Eagle174
October 27th, 2009, 08:13 PM
xlolx So that was an EWU victory in Missoula after all, Eags? xnutsx

wasn't/wouldn't be... it was hard to phrase since we did beat one of them and not the other. You know what I mean.

Native
October 27th, 2009, 10:33 PM

I do not root against any Big Sky team except on the day they play the Wildcats. That is not the way of champions.

It's not that I blame anyone for eating "table scraps," if necessary, but a true championship team does not go to the banquet begging for someone else's table scraps.

MTGrizzFan
October 27th, 2009, 11:17 PM

aww have some faith...sheesh

Screamin_Eagle174
October 27th, 2009, 11:34 PM
I do not root against any Big Sky team except on the day they play the Wildcats. That is not the way of champions.

It's not that I blame anyone for eating "table scraps," if necessary, but a true championship team does not go to the banquet begging for someone else's table scraps.

You root for your conference mates when they're playing OOC games. But when two conference teams other than your own are playing and if the result of one particular team beating the other positively affects your team's season, then you root for that team.

Native
October 27th, 2009, 11:38 PM
You root for your conference mates when they're playing OOC games. But when two conference teams other than your own are playing and if the result of one particular team beating the other positively affects your team's season, then you root for that team.

Nope. Let the chips fall. I prefer the front door.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 27th, 2009, 11:43 PM

I guess you don't want your team to have the best possible season then. I on the other hand, want my team to have as much success possible.

I Bleed Purple
October 28th, 2009, 12:02 AM
I forgot to mention. In the paper today, it was announced that KJZZ is picking KPAX's feed for the game on Saturday. No BigSkyTV for me.

GolfingGriz
October 28th, 2009, 01:15 AM

So you're saying that if you beat Montana this weekend and then lose to NAU, you don't want Montana and NAU to lose another game?

Native
October 28th, 2009, 01:24 AM
So you're saying that if you beat Montana this weekend and then lose to NAU, you don't want Montana and NAU to lose another game?

I don't ask for much... What I want is for Weber to win out, the Big Sky to send three teams to the playoffs, for all three to win their first playoff games, and for Weber to beat the remaining BSC representative in Chattanooga in the National Championship game. xthumbsupx

Screamin_Eagle174
October 28th, 2009, 01:42 AM
I don't ask for much... What I want is for Weber to win out, the Big Sky to send three teams to the playoffs, for all three to win their first playoff games, and for Weber to beat the remaining BSC representative in Chattanooga in the National Championship game. xthumbsupx

Delusional!

Native
October 28th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Delusional!

He asked me what I wanted, not what I expected. xlolxxlolxxlolx

GolfingGriz
October 28th, 2009, 02:53 AM

Fair enough. i just don't think that there is anything wrong with wanting games to go certain ways for the benefit of your own team.

Poker Alan
October 31st, 2009, 10:48 AM
Gameday bump, very big game with many implications for both teams, obv. especially Weber St. ... here is to a good game, Griz winning a close one ... current weather in Missoula, roughly 50 with a few raindrops, will be an overcast day at Wash. Griz stadium.

gbhmt
October 31st, 2009, 11:43 AM
I forgot to mention. In the paper today, it was announced that KJZZ is picking KPAX's feed for the game on Saturday. No BigSkyTV for me.

Good to hear. Phil Buck isn't a genius, but he's the most objective announcer I've heard in the Big Sky. In fact he seems to get more excited when the opposing teams score rather than the Griz...

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 01:58 PM
Good to hear. Phil Buck isn't a genius, but he's the most objective announcer I've heard in the Big Sky. In fact he seems to get more excited when the opposing teams score rather than the Griz...

The few highlights I've actually watched, he seems competent. In fact, I think he's probably better than the bar he currently sits at.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 02:04 PM
Hello, I'm I Bleed Purple, and I'll be your emcee for the TSN game o' the week (so long as Weber is in the game).

Our combatants are the the long standing giants of the Big Sky, the Montana Grizzlies. Yes, we know the program's success makes their fans snooty, aggressive, a pain to read and generally have a holier-than-thou attitude, but they have every right to be proud of their program.

In the other corner, the explosive Weber State Wildcat. Yes, we know the program's success after one year makes their fans annoying, child-like, are a pain to read and generally make you feel the equivalent of a piece of food stuck in your teeth that you can't get out, but with many of the same players from last year's team back, they have good reason to expect good things.

Play by play about to begin. Should be a good game.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 02:08 PM
Weber to receive the opening kick.

Bolen to the 28.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 02:09 PM
Big reception for Collins. Into Griz territory.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 02:10 PM
Incomplete, than a stuff at the line. 3rd and long

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 02:11 PM
Time out Weber.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 02:13 PM
Weber to punt. Bad one by Snoy. Griz ball on 25.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 02:13 PM
Selle to open for UM. Reynolds for 2 yards.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 02:14 PM
Reynolds up the gut. First down.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 02:15 PM
Big hole for Reynolds. Into Weber territory.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 02:18 PM
Catch by Mariani. UM in the red zone.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 02:19 PM
Play action for a TD for Montana.

gbhmt
October 31st, 2009, 02:20 PM
It's about time we show up in the first quarter.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 02:22 PM
7-0 Montana. Weber return to around the 25.

joecooll6
October 31st, 2009, 02:22 PM
Any free audio or video for this one?

gbhmt
October 31st, 2009, 02:24 PM
grizcentral.com. click on the banner that says live.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 02:25 PM
3 and out for Weber. Punt to the 30.

joecooll6
October 31st, 2009, 02:25 PM
grizcentral.com. click on the banner that says live.

Thanks

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 02:28 PM
UM with a three and out.

Squealofthepig
October 31st, 2009, 02:29 PM
Oh, and radio for any who may want:

http://www.kgvo1290.com/common/stw_player.php

Edit: Griz station

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 02:29 PM
Weber at the 24. TV timeout.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 02:30 PM
Oh, and radio for any who may want:

http://www.kgvo1290.com/common/stw_player.php

Edit: Griz station

If Brad Larsen is on the Weber station. I would recommend not listening.

http://www.kloradio.com/

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 02:31 PM
uh....signal's breaking up. NOOOOOOOOOOOO

gbhmt
October 31st, 2009, 02:33 PM
Higgins isn't playing his best right now.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 02:34 PM
Radio doesn't have Larsen. Whew.

Blind at the moment. 3 and out.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 02:35 PM
3 and out for UM. Four straight three and outs.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 02:36 PM
Wish I could see that penalty. *shrug*

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 02:38 PM
Broadcast back up. Weber in UM territory.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 02:39 PM
Pick 6 for UM. Wow.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 31st, 2009, 02:40 PM
PICK 6 MONTANA!!!

gbhmt
That was about the worst place to throw it away.

I Bleed Purple
XP no good. 13-0 UM.

gbhmt
October 31st, 2009, 02:43 PM
Nice tough kick return.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 31st, 2009, 02:45 PM
The pressure's getting to Higgin's and crew. Delay of game.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 02:45 PM
1st Q over.

Whew, that was waste of fifteen minutes.

gbhmt
October 31st, 2009, 02:46 PM
The pressure's getting to Higgin's and crew. Delay of game.

And Coach Mac says he likes likes Washington-Grizzly!

gbhmt
October 31st, 2009, 02:48 PM
Wow...that was a really smart call by Hauck calling that timeout.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 31st, 2009, 02:50 PM
Wow...that was a really smart call by Hauck calling that timeout.

Yeah it was... I was just talking about that with my roommate. He'll take every advantage he can get.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 02:51 PM
3 and out for UM. Weber starting to hold.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 02:51 PM
Fake punt foiled by Josh Morris. Weber with the ball in UM territory.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 31st, 2009, 02:53 PM
Fake punt foiled by Josh Morris. Weber with the ball in UM territory.

Damn... your TV feed is a couple seconds ahead of the BStv feed. I wish I could watch this game with better clarity.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 02:54 PM
Weber in the red zone.

Passes to Eldridge and Phillips.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 02:55 PM
Smith stuffed. Time out.

gbhmt
October 31st, 2009, 02:56 PM
Damn... your TV feed is a couple seconds ahead of the BStv feed. I wish I could watch this game with better clarity.

Go to grizcentral.com and click on the banner near the top that says live. That one's a good play and half ahead of b2tv. xthumbsupx

gbhmt
October 31st, 2009, 02:59 PM
That's what I'm talking about North Endzone!

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 02:59 PM
UM forces FG attempt. It's good.

13-3 UM.

ddmann
October 31st, 2009, 03:01 PM
At this point why in the hell I traded my tickets today for tickets in Bozo

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 03:02 PM
UM near midfield.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 03:07 PM
Dropped pass. UM to punt.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 03:08 PM
Reynolds with two penalties on punt coverage?

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 03:10 PM
Higgins 3-12.

gbhmt
October 31st, 2009, 03:10 PM
Reynolds with two penalties on punt coverage?

I'm wondering the same thing. The first was just an accident. The personal foul is odd, because Chase has always been probably the most subtle and sportsmanlike player on the team.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 03:11 PM
Weber at midfield.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 03:13 PM
Weber punts to around UM's 10.

gbhmt
October 31st, 2009, 03:13 PM
Weber's punter is looking very good.

gbhmt
October 31st, 2009, 03:15 PM
Our TE's are having a great day.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 03:18 PM
UM in the red zone.

gbhmt
October 31st, 2009, 03:20 PM
Great block by Klaboe.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 31st, 2009, 03:22 PM
Score/Time?

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 03:23 PM
Goal line stand for Weber. Stays 13-3.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 03:24 PM
Looks like it's going to be halftime.

13-3.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 03:25 PM
Higgins 3-14.

Nerts.

gbhmt
October 31st, 2009, 03:25 PM
Not sure how you can go for it there without putting Chase in. Nice stop by Weber.

uofmman1122
October 31st, 2009, 03:28 PM
That was ugly goal line play calling. xnonono2x

mlbowl
October 31st, 2009, 03:39 PM
Not sure how you can go for it there without putting Chase in. Nice stop by Weber.

I was thinking the same thing...I like TBF...but Chase is our power guy.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 03:47 PM
UM gets the ball to start the half. Short return to the 18.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 03:49 PM
Boo to this defense.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 03:50 PM
Not a double post.

Boo to this defense.

UM at the goal line.

gbhmt
October 31st, 2009, 03:52 PM
Just like every other game, Griz come out of the half burning.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 03:52 PM
Touchdown.

Way to fall flat opening up the second half.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 03:57 PM
Toone with a drop.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 03:58 PM
UM with ball around the 5.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 03:59 PM
I guess the only positive thing to take from this so far is dropping Mariani's punt return average like a rock. xrolleyesx

Screamin_Eagle174
October 31st, 2009, 04:02 PM
Still 13-3?

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 04:05 PM
At least a punt is forced.

gbhmt
October 31st, 2009, 04:06 PM
Right when Chase starts dominating, he takes him out of the game. xconfusedx

Screamin, it's 20-3. Griz scored on the opening drive.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 04:10 PM
Weber in the red zone. Points are crucial on this drive.

gbhmt
Does Weber just have a permanent recruiting outpost in Hawaii? A lot of players from out there.

I Bleed Purple

Helmet issue. Something wrong. Had to come out.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 31st, 2009, 04:11 PM

xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapx

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 04:11 PM
Does Weber just have a permanent recruiting outpost in Hawaii? A lot of players from out there.

That's a McBride thing. Always recruits there.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 04:12 PM
And an INT.

Two guys could have picked that one off.

gbhmt
October 31st, 2009, 04:12 PM
LOCKDOWN CORNER.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 31st, 2009, 04:13 PM
Damn, what's going on Weber? Thought you'd put up more of a fight than this.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 04:19 PM
End of 3.

20-3.

gbhmt
October 31st, 2009, 04:19 PM
Chase is beating them up and Morris is getting tired. Game may be running away from the Cats.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 04:23 PM
FG Montana.

23-3

gbhmt
October 31st, 2009, 04:24 PM
Mariani was inches away from a TD catch, but no cigar. Had to settle for a FG. 23-3 Griz.

GoAgs72
October 31st, 2009, 04:27 PM
Montana is doing their second half of the season thing. They will peak, I suspect, in time for the playoffs.

Shellin
October 31st, 2009, 04:28 PM
Another pick by Higgins.

BearIt
It looks like the wrong Higgins showed up today. 2 INT's and lots of bad throws. It's too bad for Weber. The plays were there, but Higgins has been unable to execute.

I Bleed Purple
Great return from Bolen.

Higgins with another pick. In between the receivers.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 04:30 PM
Defense has been there today. 14 offensive points for UM today.

Shellin
October 31st, 2009, 04:32 PM
Defense has been there today. 14 offensive points for UM today.

Yeah, both defenses have been playing well.

uofmman1122
Jesus...What a dumb Personal Foul. Nice job of Hauck taking him out of the game. xnonono2x

I won't be comfortable until it's a 4-score game.

I Bleed Purple
Flea Flicker touchdown for Weber.

gbhmt
October 31st, 2009, 04:34 PM
Alright now we actually need some points at the end of our drive.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 04:34 PM
PAT is good.

23-10

11+ to go.

ddmann
October 31st, 2009, 04:35 PM
Here we go Grzzlies, Here we go!

BearIt
October 31st, 2009, 04:39 PM
Sambrano needs better hands. He has missed at least 3 easy catches.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 04:39 PM
UM to punt. Weber ball with decent field position.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 04:42 PM
3 and out. Good sack by UM there.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 04:44 PM
Replay showed Reynolds running track there. Lane three maybe? No one in lanes 1, 2, and 4-9.

gbhmt
October 31st, 2009, 04:44 PM
Just can't stop Chase this late in the game. It's about time we leave him in for the fourth quarter.

BearIt
October 31st, 2009, 04:45 PM
I notice the Roper/Selle QB rotation hasn't been happening. I wonder if it is due to injury or performance.

gbhmt
October 31st, 2009, 04:50 PM
This one's in the books.

I Bleed Purple
More points.

31-10.

Squealofthepig
TD Montana, 29-10, PAT to come.

Also a PF on Weber after the play - not sure about that one, didn't see anything on the replay.

Edit: 2 point conversion, 31-10.

gbhmt
Brilliant playcall on the conversion.

ddmann
October 31st, 2009, 04:51 PM
Goodnight Wildcats, goodnight

Screamin_Eagle174
October 31st, 2009, 04:51 PM
Thanks Griz! :D

BearIt
October 31st, 2009, 04:53 PM
One of the best reffed games I've seen this year. I really can't argue with any calls or no calls.

BSC must have realized how much was riding on the game and outsourced for a good crew.

BearIt
October 31st, 2009, 04:58 PM
4 INT's for Higgins. I don't understand how the guy can be unbeatable some days and just terrible on other days.

Squealofthepig
October 31st, 2009, 04:58 PM
Interception Montana, 31-10 Montana ball, 2:12 to go.

I hope the Wildcats quarterback can put this game behind him and regroup for the last two games! Nice to see the Griz put a full game together (for a change!)

BearIt
October 31st, 2009, 05:02 PM
McBride take T.O. and wants to keep playing, so MT obliges with a big yardage reception at the end.

Game over 31-10

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 05:03 PM
31-10 final score.

Not much more to say, really.

Shellin
October 31st, 2009, 05:06 PM
Great game by the Griz today from start to finish. Weber never gave in but the better team definitely won today. Despite holding him in check today I'm very glad we don't have to play Trevyn Smith ever again. It's also nice to finally see Chase have a big game 33 carries for 241 yards and 1 TD.

uofmman1122
October 31st, 2009, 05:06 PM
Wow.

Cameron Higgins:

16/34 for 243 Yards, 1 touchdown and 4 interceptions.

That's pretty much all that has to be said.

And people said our secondary was terrible. xlolx xsmiley_wix

mlbowl
October 31st, 2009, 05:07 PM
Wow.

Cameron Higgins:

16/34 for 243 Yards, 1 touchdown and 4 interceptions.

That's pretty much all that has to be said.

And people said our secondary was terrible. xlolx xsmiley_wix

Nice to have Johnson back healthyxnodx

uofmman1122
October 31st, 2009, 05:08 PM
I guess there's one other small thing to be said:

Chase Reynolds 241 yards and 1 TD on 33 carries

Trevyn Smith 64 yards and 0 TD on 20 carries

Great game Chase! xthumbsupx

mlbowl
October 31st, 2009, 05:12 PM

Most likely would've been two TDs if we bring him in on 1st & goalxnodx

I Bleed Purple

Yeah, but Korea is still better.

LacesOut
Chase have a big game 33 carries for 241 yards and 1 TD.

Damn!

Good win, Griz.

Poker Alan
October 31st, 2009, 05:14 PM
This was a complete domination by the Griz.

I Bleed Purple, time to change your signature?

Screamin_Eagle174
October 31st, 2009, 05:15 PM
Yeah, but Korea is still better.

His name is Taiwan! You SOB! xlolx

He already has over 100 yards so far and and 2 TDs today. Still plenty of game left.

fltheadgriz
October 31st, 2009, 05:17 PM
Great game by the Griz from what I saw. Stupid electricity went out here in Kalispell during halftime and came back on with 2 minutes left in the gamexmadx

mtgrizfan4life
October 31st, 2009, 05:18 PM
Well, Montana finally shows they have a defense, and in turn they finally look like a Championship team.

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 05:19 PM
His name is Taiwan! You SOB! xlolx

He already has over 100 yards so far and and 2 TDs today. Still plenty of game left.

In joke with Tokyo Griz/uofmmmmman2910.

But it's great that it also works in the way you interpreted the post. It's like I'm Shakespeare or something.

Ronbo
October 31st, 2009, 05:33 PM
Gee whiz, the 15 All Big Sky, 8 All Americans, and 3 All Pro Weber guys couldn't stop the Grizzlies 3 All Big Sky guys?xconfusedx I've told people again and again the Griz are usually loaded 2 deep and the players platoon so they don't put up big numbers. Thus they get snubbed by the voters. I'll take team play over a bunch of individuals trying to pile up numbers any day!

Domination.

....................................Weber......... Montana
1st Downs .....................13............ 24
3rd down efficiency .......4-14........ 7-16
4th down efficiency........ 0-1.......... 0-2
Total Yards ....................299 ..........506
Passing .........................243 ...........218
Comp-Att ......................16-34....... 14-30
Yards per pass ...............7.1............ 7.3
Rushing.......................... 56............ 288
Rushing Attempts ...........26 .............52
Yards per rush ................2.2 ...........5.5
Penalties....................... 7-65 .........6-65
Turnovers ........................4 ...............0
Fumbles lost...................... 0 .............0
Interceptions thrown......... 4 .............0
Possession.................... 22:36 .......37:24

Bronco
October 31st, 2009, 05:58 PM
Good into it crowd and fun game to watch.

I think Smith tweaked his ankle in the first series.

I Bleed Purple....I took a scoreboard picture if you want to change yours up.

srgrizizen
October 31st, 2009, 05:59 PM
Just got back from the game. I thought I saw the Griz beat the crap out of Weber, but then I remembered no one can beat Weber, they can only beat themselves. They sure did a heckuva job of it today.

But IBP can still tell his grandkids he was there back in ought eight, the last time Weber beat Montana, and show them his scoreboard pic to prove it.

But seriously, Higgins must have had food poisoning or something. We know he's MUCH better than that.

Proud Griz Man
October 31st, 2009, 06:30 PM
Good into it crowd and fun game to watch.

I think Smith tweaked his ankle in the first series.

I Bleed Purple....I took a scoreboard picture if you want to change yours up.

It looks the same in 9 of 10 years. xsmiley_wix

Ding, Dong, the wicked witch is dead.

http://protoplasm.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/wicked-witch.jpg

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 06:49 PM
All right, all right, I changed it.

Better?

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 06:50 PM
Gee whiz, the 15 All Big Sky, 8 All Americans, and 3 All Pro Weber guys couldn't stop the Grizzlies 3 All Big Sky guys?xconfusedx I've told people again and again the Griz are usually loaded 2 deep and the players platoon so they don't put up big numbers. Thus they get snubbed by the voters. I'll take team play over a bunch of individuals trying to pile up numbers any day!

Domination.

....................................Weber......... Montana
1st Downs .....................13............ 24
3rd down efficiency .......4-14........ 7-16
4th down efficiency........ 0-1.......... 0-2
Total Yards ....................299 ..........506
Passing .........................243 ...........218
Comp-Att ......................16-34....... 14-30
Yards per pass ...............7.1............ 7.3
Rushing.......................... 56............ 288
Rushing Attempts ...........26 .............52
Yards per rush ................2.2 ...........5.5
Penalties....................... 7-65 .........6-65
Turnovers ........................4 ...............0
Fumbles lost...................... 0 .............0
Interceptions thrown......... 4 .............0
Possession.................... 22:36 .......37:24

Or a bad day at the office? *shrug*

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 06:51 PM
It looks the same in 9 of 10 years. xsmiley_wix

Ding, Dong, the wicked witch is dead.

http://protoplasm.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/wicked-witch.jpg

Which witch?

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 06:52 PM
Just got back from the game. I thought I saw the Griz beat the crap out of Weber, but then I remembered no one can beat Weber, they can only beat themselves. They sure did a heckuva job of it today.

But IBP can still tell his grandkids he was there back in ought eight, the last time Weber beat Montana, and show them his scoreboard pic to prove it.

But seriously, Higgins must have had food poisoning or something. We know he's MUCH better than that.

He sure was jittery. Worst thing was that UM didn't have an amazing pass rush. They got to him a couple times, but that happens every game.

Grizzaholic
October 31st, 2009, 07:11 PM
hummmm

Bronco
October 31st, 2009, 07:18 PM
Here you go.

http://www.myuploadedimages.com/images/zih6a501909nuxzqtk5.jpg

I Bleed Purple
October 31st, 2009, 07:27 PM
Our video board is better. :p

uofmman1122
October 31st, 2009, 07:31 PM
Our video board is better. :pThat's just our score board. Our Video Board is much bigger. xlolx :p

Proud Griz Man
October 31st, 2009, 11:35 PM
http://www.standard.net/topics/sports/2009/10/31/reynolds-montana-trounce-weber-state-31-10

Reynolds, Montana trounce Weber State 31-10
By Standard-Examiner staff Last Edit: 41 sec ago (Oct 31 2009 - 4:51pm)

MISSOULA, Mont. -- Chase Reynolds ran for 241 yards and a touchdown Saturday to lead No. 2-ranked Montana to a 31-10 victory over No. 14 Weber State in a battle of the Big Sky Conferences top two teams.

Montana (8-0, 5-0) dominated the Wildcats (5-4, 5-2) on both sides of the ball.

The Wildcats now face an uphill battle in a quest for an FCS playoff berth.
The Grizzlies took a 13-0 first-quarter lead on a 3-yard pass from Andrew Selle to Dan Beaudoin and a 57-yard interception return by Jace Palmer. Weber State got a field goal from Mike Snoy to trim the gap to 13-3 at the half. The second half was all Reynolds. The junior finished with 33 carries, including a 2-yard third-quarter touchdown run.Brody McKnight's field goal and Thomas Brooks-Fletcher's 14-yard reception from Selle rounded out Montana's scoring. Cameron Higgins hit Mike Phillips with a 59-yard fourth-quarter pass for the Wildcats' lone touchdown

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 1st, 2009, 12:04 PM
It was good to see the Griz put a whole game together. I also like the comments that I heard from Coach Mac, he had a lot of good things to say and didn't make any excuses. xthumbsupx

It was also very cool to see the football field sized flag out there today to honor our veterans, it was very impressive. The flyover was awesome, couldn't have asked for a better day as a Griz fan.

Native
November 1st, 2009, 12:22 PM
Congratulations to the Universityof Montana Grizzlies for a very convincing win! xthumbsupx

Grizaholic17
November 1st, 2009, 12:24 PM
Exactly what the Griz needed. A complete game. A great stop on the first drive, turnovers, scoring early, holding the opponent, etc. This made me feel better about our NC chances by tenfold!

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j194/umgrizzliesfootball/Griz2009.jpg

GO GRIZ!

elkmcc
November 1st, 2009, 12:46 PM
Congratulations to the Universityof Montana Grizzlies for a very convincing win! xthumbsupx

Now that is an example of class !:)

Proud Griz Man
November 1st, 2009, 01:28 PM

Thanks Native. The Griz players and coaches were prepared. This was like a slugfest (e.g. Hagler versus Hearns) where only one would be standing in the end, and on this day it wasn't meant to be for Smith (injured) and Higgins (erratic) and Weber's defense (overpowered).

Peems
November 1st, 2009, 05:45 PM
You could tell Smith was not 100% at all. he was visibly limping every time i watched.

mtgrizfan4life
November 1st, 2009, 06:00 PM

Thanks for the complement. You are class, and as are most Weber fans. However, below are a few questions I have after the GRIZ game, so please do not take this as a blast at your fans.

Based on Weber's preseason hype by the media and all conference voters, I was expecting a shootout and close game. Credit the GRIZ for a great game plan and near perfect execution of that game plan. This leads to my questions I have asked since the presason polls. Can we officially discuss if Weber State was overrated? Was Montana underrated? Has Weber State under performed? Are their players as talented as the preseason hype and the coaching subpar? Did the preseason voters deep down not have a clue this year in the BSC?

Sorry, but against the GRIZ, I just did not see that many all conference performers for Weber State. I will give Smith credit, and know he is injured. I also thought one of the LB's and the all american CB are all conference players. Toone over time has proven to be one, but beyond those 4, I just did not see that loaded of a team. Ditto their games against UNC and EWU.

I honestly did not see a team much better than your average BSC team this year. I feel there were a lot of players from EWU, Montana, Montana State, and NAU that went overlooked in the preseason awards.

Speaking of awards, Higgins proved to be much too soft when under pressure. He should be out of contention for the Payton award, and be replaced with fellow BSC player, Marc Mariani. I feel Nichols, Herrick (NAU), and Selle (despite sharing duties) are all better QBs than Higgins this year.

So what has happened to Weber State this year? On paper they should have dominated not only the BSC, but FCS football in general.

Grizo406
November 1st, 2009, 06:29 PM

Thanks, Native!

Enjoyed spending time with you, and Mrs. Native Friday night. You guys were awesome!

I Bleed Purple
November 1st, 2009, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the complement. You are class, and as are most Weber fans. However, below are a few questions I have after the GRIZ game, so please do not take this as a blast at your fans.

Based on Weber's preseason hype by the media and all conference voters, I was expecting a shootout and close game. Credit the GRIZ for a great game plan and near perfect execution of that game plan. This leads to my questions I have asked since the presason polls. Can we officially discuss if Weber State was overrated? Was Montana underrated? Has Weber State under performed? Are their players as talented as the preseason hype and the coaching subpar? Did the preseason voters deep down not have a clue this year in the BSC?

Sorry, but against the GRIZ, I just did not see that many all conference performers for Weber State. I will give Smith credit, and know he is injured. I also thought one of the LB's and the all american CB are all conference players. Toone over time has proven to be one, but beyond those 4, I just did not see that loaded of a team. Ditto their games against UNC and EWU.

I honestly did not see a team much better than your average BSC team this year. I feel there were a lot of players from EWU, Montana, Montana State, and NAU that went overlooked in the preseason awards.

Speaking of awards, Higgins proved to be much too soft when under pressure. He should be out of contention for the Payton award, and be replaced with fellow BSC player, Marc Mariani. I feel Nichols, Herrick (NAU), and Selle (despite sharing duties) are all better QBs than Higgins this year.

So what has happened to Weber State this year? On paper they should have dominated not only the BSC, but FCS football in general.

Overrated? No. Three losses going in were by a total of nine points. Underperfored? Yes.

As for preseason all conference teams, Weber had nine. One didn't play. He's out for the year. You mentioned Smith and Toone. Higgins was bad. Two are are the O-Line. Mutcher missed two games this year, and is the center. Orem is the right guard. Not sure how you want to gauge their performance. Three sacks. 23-79 on rushing plays. I know one sack was on the left side. Don't remember the other two.

On the defensive side you have Linehan and Eastman. Ten sacks between them. 20 solos between them. I'm sure UM game planned to double or account for their whereabouts. It's why Sedilo and Taylor got all the tackles. Hadley's the safety. Had fifteen tackles.

As for the game, the defense was fairly good. Four three and outs, one on four downs (failed 4th attempt) and a goal line stand. The problem was nothing sustained by the offense, generally derailed by bad throws by the quarterback. In fact, the two longest drives, 8 plays each, ended in bad interceptions.

You're right in that Higgins seems incredibly soft out there. Maybe it's due to the coaching staff telling him how important he is since in his sophomore year, he had no problems taking off and running and now he won't do and slides if he does. If he's accurate, he can throw any pass. This year he's had inaccurate days. You saw one of those days.

What it really all comes down to is that UM's defense came to play, and Weber's offense laid down. Weber's defense got punched in the mouth first drive and gave up 17 points afterward, 7 when the game was decided. They showed up. Weber O didn't. The reasons for that I'll leave up to you, but if a game where we didn't show up makes us look like an average BSC team, just think about what we'd look like if we did show up. Unfortunately, they don't do that every game, and that's a problem.

Bronco
November 1st, 2009, 07:02 PM
Smith tweaked his ankle on his first carry. He wasn't the runner that set me to worry watching him run in previous games.

When I saw the replay I saw that Bobby gave him a hug and had a good conversation. Probably happy he won't have to plan for him next year. Great player and career.

Native
November 7th, 2009, 01:46 PM
You could tell Smith was not 100% at all. he was visibly limping every time i watched.

Smith always looks like he's injured, but he always gets up. Nothing new about that.

No doubt he has not been as successful this year as he was last year, though.