PDA

View Full Version : UC-Davis @ Portland State

JALMOND
October 24th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Kickoff scheduled for 1 pm PDT (I won't have to say PDT for very long) at Portland's PGE Park. Connor Kavanaugh has been named for his second start at quarterback, but Glanville has said that Oregon State transfer Justin Engstrom could see some action as well. Drew Hubel has a new knee brace and has been looking forward to this game, but will more than likely sit this one out in preparation for Eastern Washington next week. The Aggies and Vikings are former DII rivals from the early and mid 90's. The Aggies have won two straight over the Vikings including last year's win in Davis. Vikings leading tackler, Erik Pedersen, is out for the season with a broken forearm, his twin brother David Pedersen will fill in this game. The Aggies enter this game 3-3, having won at home last week against Winston-Salem State. Two of their losses have been to WAC teams (Fresno State and Boise State), and the other one was a close one at home to Montana. Weather is to be partly cloudy (between storm systems) and temps in the mid 50's.

PSU radio: www.kpdq-am.com

no TV in the Portland area.

SoCalAg
October 24th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Life gets a lot harder for Portland St. without Hubel. The complete absence of any runing game for the Aggies will keep PSU in it for awhile, but good weather expected in Portland will help the Ags pull away in the 2nd half with the passing game.

UC Davis - 41
Portland St. - 20

blue4gold
October 24th, 2009, 11:51 AM
UC Davis by 10.

*EDIT* If we want playoff consideration, we must win BIG. We have a legit defense, so it's tough to predict against us. I'll be conservative on the score prediction due to our lack of running game. If we can establish one, this game might get ugly.

SoCalAg
October 24th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Just as we expected in Portland, not much defense. It's a track meet:

PSU - 14
UCD- 7

2:08 to go in the 1st

SoCalAg
October 24th, 2009, 03:43 PM
14-7 PSU
start of the 2nd

SoCalAg
October 24th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Aggies tie it up on a 19 yard TD pass on 3rd and 10.

14-14 with 12:02 to go in the 2nd

SoCalAg
October 24th, 2009, 04:28 PM
At the half

PSU 21
UCD 17

An Aggie fumble at PSU's three is the difference right now

SoCalAg
October 24th, 2009, 05:06 PM
PSU gets a QB sack, fumble, and a 40 yard return for a TD

midway through the 3rd.....PSU 28, UCD 17

SoCalAg
October 24th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Aggies starting QB Greg Denham is hurt on the fumble recovery play. Back-up Austin Heyworth comes in and leads the Aggies on a TD drive finishing off by a 30 yard TD pass to Bakhari Grant.

Early 4th Quarter - PSU 28, UCD 24

SoCalAg
October 24th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Aggies muff a punt return PSU recovers and kick a 30 yard field goal

10:00 to go

PSU 31
UCD 24

ucdavisaggie05
October 24th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Heyworth to Bispo, 31-31.

SoCalAg
October 24th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Back-up QB Austin Heyworth (RS Freshman) throws his 2nd TD pass and Aggies tie it up in Portland

PSU 31
UCD 31

8:00 to go

SoCalAg
October 24th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Greg Denham back in for the Aggies, Aggies move the ball down to PSU 25

3rd and 6 Aggies

ucdavisaggie05
October 24th, 2009, 05:41 PM
FG is good, 34-31 Aggies, 4:40 to go.

SoCalAg
October 24th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Aggies defense holds and they get the ball back up 3

ucdavisaggie05
October 24th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Vikings punt, 3:29 to go, Aggie ball and a 1st down at their own 8 yard line.

ucdavisaggie05
October 24th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Josh Reese takes it to the 35 on a 3rd and long from inside the 5.

SoCalAg
October 24th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Aggies have a 3rd and 13 from their own 5 with 3:00 to go and they get a 30 yard run, that should just about do it

darell1976
October 24th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Good job UC Davis.

blue4gold
October 24th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Finish 'em off Ags.

AggiePride
October 24th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I'm happy.

Good job Ags.

SoCalAg
October 24th, 2009, 06:02 PM
UC Davis holds off Portland St., 34-31, after trailing for most of the game. After eight consecutive road losses, Aggies have now won 2 in a row on the road and improve to 4-3 overall. Not pretty, but we'll take the win.

ucdavisaggie05
October 24th, 2009, 06:03 PM
On to Cedar City....

JALMOND
October 24th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Final

UC-Davis 34
Portland State 31

A gallant effort goes by the wayside as the Vikings quit playing in the forth quarter. A clear example that Kavanaugh cannot lead the Vikings was obvious as in the fourth, we went three and out, punted and the recovered on the Aggie 20. Then, led by Kavanaugh, we promptly went three and out again and kicked a field goal. I don't care how hyped Kavanaugh was out of high school, you play based on performance. Last game and this, Kavanaugh showed that he cannot get it done.

Good game to UC-Davis. They took advantage of our ineptitude and beat us. As for us, we are a team in disarray (to say the least).

SoCalAg
October 24th, 2009, 07:41 PM
I was quite impressed by Kavanaugh. The Aggie defense had A LOT of trouble containing him in the 1st half. Ags just mae more big plays in the 2nd half and pulled out a big road win.

eastbayaggie
October 24th, 2009, 07:46 PM
I was literally asleep in the first half so I can't comment there. Apparently the Aggies made three critical fumbles: 1. a Trombetta fumble near the goal line 2. a QB sack fumble that led to a Portland State touchdown 3. a fumble on the catch during the punt return

I'm impressed that the Aggies overcame that many fumbles to pull off a win.

BlueGoldAg
October 24th, 2009, 07:48 PM
This was a very entertaining and hard fought game between two similar teams who are still trying to find themselves. In the end, I think that this is one of the most significant wins for the Aggies since they decided to transition to D1. The reasons why is because we rallied in the 4th quarter behind our RFr back-up QB after getting pushed around early in the game and turning the ball over several times.

The Ags played with Aggie Pride in the second half, and wins like this build character. However, we'll need a much better effort in Cedar City, Utah, next week against a very good, underrated Southern Utah team. Because of today's effort, we'll go to Utah with a bit of momentum. We'll need it and our A game to get a win against the Thunderbirds.

JALMOND
October 24th, 2009, 08:08 PM
This was a very entertaining and hard fought game between two similar teams who are still trying to find themselves. In the end, I think that this is one of the most significant wins for the Aggies since they decided to transition to D1. The reasons why is because we rallied in the 4th quarter behind our RFr back-up QB after getting pushed around early in the game and turning the ball over several times.

The Ags played with Aggie Pride in the second half, and wins like this build character. However, we'll need a much better effort in Cedar City, Utah, next week against a very good, underrated Southern Utah team. Because of today's effort, we'll go to Utah with a bit of momentum. We'll need it and our A game to get a win against the Thunderbirds.

Myself, I was very impressed with your young quarterback (Hayworth??). So much that I was kind of surprised Denham came back in. The touch Hayworth had on the throw in the back of the end zone was quite good (the touchdown in the fourth quarter).

BlueGoldAg
October 24th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Myself, I was very impressed with your young quarterback (Hayworth??). So much that I was kind of surprised Denham came back in. The touch Hayworth had on the throw in the back of the end zone was quite good (the touchdown in the fourth quarter).

His name is Austin Heyworth and he got few snaps against Winston-Salem State last week. He showed his nerves and inexperience in that outing but he also showed a rocket arm. The Aggies have a history of building their teams around talented QB's, several of whom have gone on to the pros. If there is one position that seems to exemplify the Aggies year in and out, it's the QB. Maybe Heyworth is another diamond-in-the-rough.

GoAgs72
October 24th, 2009, 11:53 PM
It's time to start throwing a few votes towards the Aggies in the AGS poll. If the Aggies can beat an improving Southern Utah team next week they will be in the running. If SUU wins, I might throw them a vote.

ucdavisaggie05
October 25th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Myself, I was very impressed with your young quarterback (Hayworth??). So much that I was kind of surprised Denham came back in.
I felt the same way and I'm sure that I'm not the only one. I was worried when he came in for Denham, but after the 3-and-out he really rose to the occasion. The future looks bright. RS Freshman.