PDA

View Full Version : Worst moment of 2005 playoffs?

ravens
December 17th, 2005, 07:22 AM
Someone set up a poll.

I recommend

Super Safety

Take a Knee

Lamb's delay of loss stand :) :) :)

DotCat
December 17th, 2005, 07:26 AM
Worst moment in the playoffs, is AppState winning it all last night. As a Catamount fan, we will have to live with this for the next 30 years. Kill me now.

ravens
December 17th, 2005, 07:29 AM
Worst moment in the playoffs, is AppState winning it all last night. As a Catamount fan, we will have to live with this for the next 30 years. Kill me now.

Oh we can be happy for our SoCon brethen although I have asked them to return our Jug since they have the NC trophy. :)

MR. CHICKEN
December 17th, 2005, 08:00 AM
WORST MOMENT......WHEN DUH CAP'N CAT......WENT OUT TA MID-FIELD...TA ACCEPT DUH TROPHY!..........:xmas:...........BRAWK!

JohnStOnge
December 17th, 2005, 08:06 AM
I asked this on another thread but I'll ask it again:

What was the "Super Safety?"

ASUMountaineer
December 17th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Y'all should be used to hearing it for a long time, with 2 years of holding the jug out of what? 21 years? I'd say WCU fans will be prepared. Go MOUNTAINEERS!

ngineer
December 17th, 2005, 09:47 AM
I vote for "Take a Knee". I think that one play had more jaws dropping than pants in all the brothels that night. :asswhip: :D

ravens
December 17th, 2005, 09:55 AM
I vote for "Take a Knee". I think that one play had more jaws dropping than pants in all the brothels that night. :asswhip: :D

lol... :beerchug: yes, me too. 2 votes for Take a Knee.

shakdaddy3
December 17th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Someone set up a poll.

I recommend

Super Safety

Take a Knee

I would vote for ASU passing it on 2nd down when UNI had no timeouts left.

Instead I'll vote for UNI rushing only 3 guys and looking for a pass on 3 and 6 when they had no timeouts :asswhip: xidiotx ... either that or the Super Safety, how do you run out of bounds like that with 2 seconds left :nono:

Tealblood
December 17th, 2005, 10:41 AM
If you need to get picky Super Safety came after 3 straight take a knee plays.

CCU had the ball at midfield with 1:50 left and took 3 straight knees to leave I think 9 seconds then we ran super safety

And although not in the playoffs it is the play taht kept us out of the playoffs

OL FU
December 17th, 2005, 10:43 AM

I vote for the slip and fall at Boone. That doesn't happen ASU does not win the NC, in fact they don't get into the NC. :D But with that said since FU didn't I am glad they did

Tealblood
December 17th, 2005, 10:48 AM
I agree Martin slip was devastating considering my fat ass could have scored from where he was.

But for purposes of this thread the called play was perfect--execution was what was lacking

Actually Super Safety was a legit call the execution was what was lacking

OL FU
December 17th, 2005, 10:51 AM
I agree Martin slip was devastating considering my fat ass could have scored from where he was.

But for purposes of this thread the called play was perfect--execution was what was lacking

Actually Super Safety was a legit call the execution was what was lacking

You are right but the thread is moment. and for a FU fan that was the worse moment.Even worse than the fumble/incompletion because that call probably could have gone eitherway(no argument with the refs on that from me). But the slip 99.99999% of the time is a touchdown. :bawling:

griz37
December 17th, 2005, 10:58 AM
As a Griz fan my vote goes for seeing the Griz try a 49 yard field goal in bad conditions, on 4 & 3 when they are down 7 w/about 7 minutes to go & have not moved the ball well all day. I still can't get over that call.

AppFootballAlum
December 17th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Knee

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 17th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Personally, it was all the drops and fumbles by UNH against UNI especially the mishandle by LeVan on the perfect pitch when a lot of open field was ahead of him. Knowing that I invoked the Crapsville Curse adds to the pain exponentially!!!

But taking a more global, objective view, I've got to say the taking a knee scenario by Texas State. I mean it's just kind of un-American to not "go for it"!

bunny
December 17th, 2005, 11:25 AM
I vote.... Take a knee.

Nealy should've just called a play himself after the coach made that mind numbing decision.

OL FU
December 17th, 2005, 11:35 AM
If you need to get picky Super Safety came after 3 straight take a knee plays.

CCU had the ball at midfield with 1:50 left and took 3 straight knees to leave I think 9 seconds then we ran super safety

And although not in the playoffs it is the play taht kept us out of the playoffs

It was a bad moment, but it probably should not qualify :)

Cocky
December 17th, 2005, 11:55 AM
The Knee

Texas State,IMO, had the most talented team in the playoffs.

CoastalFan2005
December 17th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Yes, as has been said, the "Super Safety" was not part of the playoffs...

:doh:

AppAlum96
December 17th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Take a knee gets my vote. That would be enough for me to turn on my team's coach. Sheesh. That was a TON of time on the clock with all your timeouts.

McNeese75
December 17th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Take a knee!! But I have my doubts that Tx State could have beaten ASU with a healthy QB. Those DE's would have been all over Nealy. :nod:

ravens
December 17th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Someone set up a poll.

I recommend

Super Safety

Take a Knee

Sounds like we have a winner....Texas State with Take a Knee :hurray: :hurray:
Honorable mention to CCU's Super Safety as most innovative way to avoid the playoffs. :)

JohnStOnge
December 17th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Take a knee!! But I have my doubts that Tx State could have beaten ASU with a healthy QB. Those DE's would have been all over Nealy. :nod:

I actually think it would've been interesting to see. As good as the UNI quarterback is, I think Nealy would've been much more likely to make App pay for laying its ears back and going after the passer. He's as big as either of those two defensive ends and probably faster. I think he'd have been a much tougher matchup for them in the "pass rush" aspect of the game and much more a threat to make big yards running the ball on broken field plays. I think they'd have had to think a lot more about containing and playing under control.

I agree about the "healthy quarterback" part though. I think with a healthy Williams App would be a clear favorite over Texas State.

JohnStOnge
December 17th, 2005, 05:14 PM
I vote for the slip and fall at Boone. That doesn't happen ASU does not win the NC, in fact they don't get into the NC. :D But with that said since FU didn't I am glad they did

Yeah, I can understand how that's the worst moment from Furman's standpoint. But it wasn't anybody's fault. It wasn't a stupid play or a mistake. It was just tough luck.

Go...gate
December 17th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Take a knee. :eek:

OL FU
December 18th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Yeah, I can understand how that's the worst moment from Furman's standpoint. But it wasn't anybody's fault. It wasn't a stupid play or a mistake. It was just tough luck.

Yes, you are right. :eek: Yes you are right :eek: Yes you are right :eek:

I don't feel any better :bang: :D

BCisforBobcatTX
December 18th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Take a knee....I don't wanna talk about it anymore :splat:

Granite
December 18th, 2005, 02:27 PM
"Take a knee" was bad - really bad.

But as a UNH guy, I agree with UNH Alum above - the worst part of the playoffs this year FOR ME was the inability to take advantage of 600+ yards of offense and a decent defensive effort at home vs. UNI. The semis and final were long, "what could have beens" for this UNH fan.

ravens
December 18th, 2005, 03:18 PM
"Take a knee" was bad - really bad.

But as a UNH guy, I agree with UNH Alum above - the worst part of the playoffs this year FOR ME was the inability to take advantage of 600+ yards of offense and a decent defensive effort at home vs. UNI. The semis and final were long, "what could have beens" for this UNH fan.

I'm sorry. I bet the last 2 weeks were long without an A-10 team in it. It is hard to conceive losing with 600 yards of offense but a great year for UNH.

Pard4Life
December 18th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Take a knee.. even Sportscenter was making comments about it.

So shocking I was laughing at the time.

blackfordpu
December 18th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Gotta be Baliff's show of no balls when he took a knee. That is not what the I-AA playoffs should be about.

ravens
December 18th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Gotta be Baliff's show of no balls when he took a knee. That is not what the I-AA playoffs should be about.

article in news that Rice University scrathed him off the list of possible HC after that call

blackfordpu
December 18th, 2005, 09:47 PM
article in news that Rice University scrathed him off the list of possible HC after that call

That does not suprise me. He most definetly hurt a lot of his chances with bigger schools after that debacle. Not only did they lose the game but they did it on national television! No team wants to be associated with a coach like that.

TxState_GO_CATS!
December 18th, 2005, 11:52 PM
That does not suprise me. He most definetly hurt a lot of his chances with bigger schools after that debacle. Not only did they lose the game but they did it on national television! No team wants to be associated with a coach like that.

Take a knee...has to be the worst moment in the 2005 playoffs. but to state that "no team wants to be associated with a coach like that" shows complete ignorance. the man has done an AMAZING job at Texas State and led the team to its first ever D-IAA playoff appearance. Not to mention the other intangible things he's done (i.e. just look at the stands during TxSt.'s playoff run and ask our visitors about the atmosphere...). Truth is the Coach Bailiff made one bad call. Apparently, the rest of the nation realizes he's a great coach by placing him in the Top 3 of the CoY award.

IMO, any school would be lucky to have Coach Bailiff.

ravens
December 19th, 2005, 04:46 AM
Take a knee...has to be the worst moment in the 2005 playoffs. ...... the man has done an AMAZING job at Texas State and led the team to its first ever D-IAA playoff appearance. Not to mention the other intangible things he's done (i.e. just look at the stands during TxSt.'s playoff run and ask our visitors about the atmosphere...). Truth is the Coach Bailiff made one bad call. Apparently, the rest of the nation realizes he's a great coach by placing him in the Top 3 of the CoY award.

Bailiff did do a great job this year. But he did blink and possibly cost his team a chance at the NC. And his lack of conviction has/will cost him in turns of job offers. But overall Texas St is lucky to have him.
In all fairness the Eddie Robinson CoY voting is done prior to the playoffs and Take a Knee.

ravens
December 19th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Bailiff did do a great job this year.

and his misstep will keep the 1As away so it all turns out good for the Texas State football program.

Hansel
December 19th, 2005, 06:48 PM
got a link?