PDA

View Full Version : #25 Eastern Illinois at #13 Jacksonville State

JaxSinfonian
October 22nd, 2009, 06:59 AM
When JSU joined the league in 2003, who would have guessed that its biggest rival would be the school that's farthest away?

Eastern Illinois comes to Jacksonville Saturday for a game between ranked teams, featuring two star quarterbacks, with EIU's chances at the conference title on the line.

JSU has won four straight against FCS teams, EIU has lost just one of six FCS games, by less than a TD.

It's a shame the OVC doesn't have a better TV contract. Fortunately, I'll be able to see this one in person.

From the local JSU press:
Not so welcoming: EIU presents tough homecoming test for JSU (http://www.annistonstar.com/pages/full_story_jsu/push?article-&id=4055513)

From the local EIU press:
Panthers face test in Alabama (http://www.jg-tc.com/articles/2009/10/22/sports/doc4adfc77575cc7895010994.txt)

My best guess is Jax State 32, EIU 21.

Buzzcut
October 22nd, 2009, 07:46 AM
I see this being a good game, but not as close as you predict with EIU on the road and still likely recovering from that 52-3 pummeling delivered by Penn State. Jacksonville State rolls 38-20. RP has another stellar day.

Cocky
October 22nd, 2009, 08:53 AM
JSU will win by 35.

Bam
October 22nd, 2009, 08:54 AM
Give em hell Panthers.

longtimemocfan
October 22nd, 2009, 09:19 PM
Gamecocks on a roll this year. Too bad you guys aren't playoff eligible. Really think JSU could have really done some damage in the post season.

Big Al
October 22nd, 2009, 09:22 PM
RP > JC

Maroons
October 22nd, 2009, 09:58 PM
JSU will win by 35.

Such a victory would leave little doubt about who is the class of the conference...

...but forgive me if I wait to see it before I believe it. xcoffeex

Redbirdz
October 22nd, 2009, 10:54 PM
Jacksonville State by 14. This is a special team.

TTUEagles
October 23rd, 2009, 07:18 AM
I haven't seen Jacksonville St play, but, going by what everyone else is saying - and the teams' record - it's pretty safe to assume at this point, that the best OVC team in 2009 is JSU. As far as the game, I don't see it being all that close. I can only speak as a TTU fan, but TECH played absolutely horrible in Charleston last week (16:50 in time of poss., 6 fumbles - 3 lost, and 2 INTS) and stil had a chance to tie at the end of the game. I don't think EIU played well, either, but....I think TTU is better than most people think, but, I don't think EIU (or TTU) is very close to JSU this year. Plus, it's on the road - a long road trip, etc., JSU by 2-3 TD's.

JaxSinfonian
October 23rd, 2009, 08:08 AM
Neither team can claim to have beaten the toughest of competition. The four teams JSU has beaten are a combined 9-17. The five teams EIU has W's against are 9-23.

JSU's margin of victory in those wins is more than 40 points. EIU's average margin in its wins is 16.6 points.

89Hen
October 23rd, 2009, 08:12 AM
Gamecocks on a roll this year. Too bad you guys aren't playoff eligible. Really think JSU could have really done some damage in the post season.
They may have, but isn't it odd how teams that aren't eligible could have done damage in the year in which they weren't eligible, but in years they are eligible, they don't (see NDSU). xeyebrowx

JaxSinfonian
October 23rd, 2009, 08:18 AM
They may have, but isn't it odd how teams that aren't eligible could have done damage in the year in which they weren't eligible, but in years they are eligible, they don't (see NDSU). xeyebrowx

It is. That's why you won't hear me saying anything like "JSU would have gone deep in the playoffs this year." I would, however, really like to have seen this team make the field.

We'll have to remember to keep an eye on Central Arkansas when they become eligible to test this theory.

EIU86
October 23rd, 2009, 11:43 AM
Unfortunately I don't think it will be close - JSU rolls.

Bam
October 23rd, 2009, 12:24 PM
Come on EIU86 that is not the spirit.

JaxSinfonian
October 23rd, 2009, 08:05 PM
Unfortunately I don't think it will be close - JSU rolls.

I expect a fight from the Panthers. I hope they don't give up as easily as you do, '86!

EKU05
October 23rd, 2009, 08:10 PM
Give em hell Panthers.

You may want to rethink that. I think the most likely way for EKU into the post season at this point may involve a three way tie at two losses a piece for EKU, TSU, and EIU. At least, and Jax State win would take a lot of pressure off the Colonels....here's how it would work.

In a three way tie where the teams were all 1-1 against each other you would start at the top of the conference and work your way down possible opponents. TSU's loss to Murray would eliminate them, and EKU would get the bid by virtue of its head to head win over EIU.

EIU86
October 23rd, 2009, 09:59 PM
I'm certainly hoping for a Panther win, but I'm a realist. JSU has steamrolled everyone and EIU has looked mediocre against some teams that are not real strong. For EIU to win it needs to be one of those games where JSU has 6 turnovers and EIU has none.

JohnStOnge
October 23rd, 2009, 09:59 PM

It would've been interesting as I think they'd have been matched up with a Gateway team...I'm thinking Southern Illinois or Northern Iowa...in the first round. We'd have found out real quick whether or not they were a national contender.

Cocky
October 23rd, 2009, 10:18 PM
It would've been interesting as I think they'd have been matched up with a Gateway team...I'm thinking Southern Illinois or Northern Iowa...in the first round. We'd have found out real quick whether or not they were a national contender.

It would be fun but we didn't get our APR scores in line. I wish we had RP for one more year.

EIU86
October 24th, 2009, 04:32 PM
I stand corrected and gladly so - great job Panthers

FL connection
October 24th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Panthers right back in the thick of things.........

ekufbfan
October 24th, 2009, 04:56 PM
WOW! Once again proves WHY they PLAY the game. Congrats EIU. Panther fan tell us about the game, how did ya' do it?

GO EKU!!!

EKU05
October 24th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Oh my.

EIU86
October 24th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Returned a kickoff for a touchdown, blocked a punt to set up another touchdown, recovered an on-side kick early in the game, and played stout D. EIU needed some things to go their way because JSU has more talent.

DSUrocks07
October 24th, 2009, 05:20 PM
EDIT, nevermind xlolx

great win for EIU

Cocky
October 24th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Returned a kickoff for a touchdown, blocked a punt to set up another touchdown, recovered an on-side kick early in the game, and played stout D. EIU needed some things to go their way because JSU has more talent.

Good game.
Spoo took Jack to school.

Maroons
October 24th, 2009, 05:55 PM
As an OVC fan overall, the great thing about this result is that I think it will help legitimize the OVC representative in the playoffs, whoever that may be.

WestCoastAggie
October 24th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Kudos EIU! EIU will rise in the polls, perhaps even the top 15. xnodx

Maroons
October 24th, 2009, 08:15 PM

Top 15? I hope you're right but I doubt it.

DSUrocks07
October 24th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Top 15? I hope you're right but I doubt it.

xlolx I wouldn't be surprised to see this next week

#18 JSU
#19 EIU

Maroons
October 24th, 2009, 08:28 PM
xlolx I wouldn't be surprised to see this next week

#18 JSU
#19 EIU

What about this?

18. JSU
19. EIU
20. EKU

It'll be an OVC cluster.

TTUEagles
October 24th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Throw TTU in at # 25?????
Okay, seriously, probably not...

JaxSinfonian
October 24th, 2009, 08:50 PM
I expect a fight from the Panthers. I hope they don't give up as easily as you do, '86!

OK, I wish they'd given up half as easily as you, '86. That would have been just fine.

The Panthers were fired up from the moment they hit the field, and JSU ... wasn't. Spoo's crew took it to 'em from the moment the clock started ticking. Christensen looked a lot sharper than Perrilloux and the EIU defense had RP harried for much of the afternoon. Poorly timed, dumb penalties kept the Gamecocks from making much out of the occasional offensive success they had.

Congrats, Panthers. It was nice to see a good crowd of you there today. That's a long way to drive.

ekufbfan
October 24th, 2009, 09:15 PM
What about this?

18. JSU
19. EIU
20. EKU

It'll be an OVC cluster.

HAH! That won't happen. We get beat by peay. Peay! I am sick, they had not beat us in what, 22 years. I know this team is young, but what about some EKU pride. I am thoughly discusted. How on earth do you get worse as a team? We certainly have taken steps back since the game at IU. Crap!

Native
October 24th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Congrats to Eastern Illinois! xthumbsupx

JohnStOnge
October 24th, 2009, 09:39 PM
This one genuinely surprises me.

Maroons
October 25th, 2009, 01:18 AM
What about this?

18. JSU
19. EIU
20. EKU

It'll be an OVC cluster.

Yeah... I'd like to retract this. Take EKU out of your polls.

89Hen
October 26th, 2009, 08:45 AM

EIU is now in my Top 25, but 15? xeyebrowx

Bam
October 26th, 2009, 08:59 AM
What about this?

18. JSU
19. EIU
20. EKU

It'll be an OVC cluster.

Yea a Cluster F!xnonono2x

Buzzcut
October 26th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Great job Panthers! Keep rolling!

Cocky
October 26th, 2009, 12:04 PM
This win will make the TSU game the title game since EKU loss.

Bam
October 26th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Good luck, whoever gets the bid, because it could turn ugly in the 1st rd. again