PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Predictions 10-24

JALMOND
October 22nd, 2009, 12:38 AM
So I head into this weekend sitting at 36-4. Pretty good, but really no surprises, and the games seem to be getting harder every week. The games begin to tell who is going to the playoffs and who will be staying home. Last week we got some separation, will that continue this weekend. This week's predictions on the Big Sky slate. All are my opinion and all are open for discussion.

ISU @ NAU---Slowly the Jacks are emerging as a serious contender for the Big Sky conference title and/or a playoff spot. Last week a fine performance at rain soaked Portland State. The Bengals, on the other hand, are heading towards a winless year after losing at home to Northern Colorado. Anything here that may change the fortunes of either team? Well, right now it is 0-0, but at the end...NAU 52, ISU 10.

UM @ Sac State---Last week, the Grizzlies got back on their way towards a conference title as they dispatched Eastern Washington after two weeks away from the conference race. The Hornets tried to show they were contenders, yet they fell flat on their face against Weber State. The Hornets would like to think they are contenders and would like to show the Grizzlies. In the end,...UM 31, Sac State 21.

MSU @ EWU---Two teams truly on the edge after last week. The Eagles lost a heartbreaker to Montana while the Bobcats were in a nonconference tussle with South Dakota. The Bobcats return to the conference against the Eagles, who have owned them in recent years. Can the Bobcats return to action with a win and get back in the race?...EWU 28, MSU 17.

UC-Davis @ PSU---A little break from conference action for the Vikings after a weak effort last week against Northern Arizona. For their efforts, they get to face their former DII rivals, Great West's UC-Davis. Davis has already faced Montana, taking them to the wire, and will face Sacramento State later in the year. It is a rival, it is at home, will that be enough to get the Vikings a win?...PSU 28, UC-Davis 24.

WSU @ UNC---Last week, the Bears got their first conference win, an impressive victory over Idaho State. For once the Bears looked like a typical Big Sky team, that is picking on the poor Bengals. This week, they get to tangle with the Wildcats, who have been on a mission after losing at home to Montana State three weeks ago. The Bears played the Wildcats tough in Ogden last year, will there be a different result this time?...UNC 24, WSU 22.

OK, I'm putting my record on the line with those last two. We'll see what happens.

putter
October 22nd, 2009, 12:49 AM
All I can say is wow, you have guts picking UNC over Weber. It would be a huge upset but you never know in this league. I don't think PSU has the horses to beat UC Davis, especially if Hubel does not play. The rest of the pics are pretty spot on.

JALMOND
October 22nd, 2009, 01:17 AM
All I can say is wow, you have guts picking UNC over Weber. It would be a huge upset but you never know in this league. I don't think PSU has the horses to beat UC Davis, especially if Hubel does not play. The rest of the pics are pretty spot on.

It is much more of a trap game than UM/Sac State. The Wildcats have been chomping at the bit for another shot at Montana after the playoffs last year, eagerly awaiting the game. Northern Colorado played them as tight as anyone in Ogden last year. Will Weber be able to temper the urge to look past a team that got its first win last week, a team that somehow gave them all they could handle at home last year? It is a tall order and to me, this is screaming upset, enough for me to take a chance on them.

If Weber blows them out, well, I've been wrong before.

I Bleed Purple
October 22nd, 2009, 01:21 AM
*sniff* you are NOT my friend anymore. *pout* *pout* *pout* *stamp foot*xmadx

Their defense is good. Their offense isn't even close to the realm of good. I see us getting two big plays that wind up for touchdowns, two sustained drives, maybe on short fields for touchdowns, and a field goal tossed in. Let's say they get 14 points.

Native
October 22nd, 2009, 01:38 AM

UC-Davis @ PSU---A little break from conference action for the Vikings after a weak effort last week against Northern Arizona. For their efforts, they get to face their former DII rivals, Great West's UC-Davis. Davis has already faced Montana, taking them to the wire, and will face Sacramento State later in the year. It is a rival, it is at home, will that be enough to get the Vikings a win?...PSU 28, UC-Davis 24.

WSU @ UNC---Last week, the Bears got their first conference win, an impressive victory over Idaho State. For once the Bears looked like a typical Big Sky team, that is picking on the poor Bengals. This week, they get to tangle with the Wildcats, who have been on a mission after losing at home to Montana State three weeks ago. The Bears played the Wildcats tough in Ogden last year, will there be a different result this time?...UNC 24, WSU 22.

OK, I'm putting my record on the line with those last two. We'll see what happens.

It takes more than a Ouija board, JALMOND. If UCD chokes at Portland, it won't be the first time the Aggies have underperformed on the road. But away games are not typically the place where WSU chokes.

UNC did not play WSU "tight" in Ogden last year. Rather, the Wildcats didn't take the Bears seriously, losing three fumbles and an interception but still outgaining the Bears by 571 to 142 total yards, winning by a TD despite losing the turnover battle 4-1 and committing twice as many penalties as UNC.

So far this year Weber is averaging 463.2 yards of total offense in Big Sky conference play (#1) and 36.2 points (#2). UNC averages 290.6 total yards of offense (#9) and 16.4 points (#8). The Bears' vaunted defense has allowed 331 yards and 21.2 points per game. Weber has allowed an average of 19 points per game to offenses more prolific than Northern Colorado's.

Nobody but Weber can beat Weber. The Wildcats may stumble again this season, but it will not be this week in Greeley.

JALMOND
October 22nd, 2009, 01:43 AM
*sniff* you are NOT my friend anymore. *pout* *pout* *pout* *stamp foot*xmadx

Their defense is good. Their offense isn't even close to the realm of good. I see us getting two big plays that wind up for touchdowns, two sustained drives, maybe on short fields for touchdowns, and a field goal tossed in. Let's say they get 14 points.

I'm not saying it will happen. I'm saying it could happen.

The Bears defense held EWU to 16 points. They almost beat NAU in Flagstaff. Their offense have had their moments and did put up 30 on ISU in their last game. The Wildcats have THE game they've been looking forward to for almost a year next week. For such a big game, it is possible to look past a one win team to the game you've waited for so long. A possible upset, yes. Will it happen? Remains to be seen, but it is possible.

My apologies and I hope we can patch things up. My goal is to make everyone mad at me this year. I'm sure my friends in the Great West are ready to string me up, not only because of the PSU/Davis game this week, but also the MSU/S Dakota game that I was SOOOO close on last week.

JALMOND
October 22nd, 2009, 01:53 AM
It takes more than a Ouija board, JALMOND. If UCD chokes at Portland, it won't be the first time the Aggies have underperformed on the road. But away games are not typically the place where WSU chokes.

The Wildcats didn't take the Bears seriously last year, losing three fumbles and an interception but still outgaining the Bears by 571 to 142 total yards, winning by a TD despite losing the turnover battle 4-1 and committing twice as many penalties as UNC.

So far this year Weber is averaging 463.2 yards of total offense in Big Sky conference play (#1) and 36.2 points (#2). UNC averages 290.6 total yards of offense (#9) and 16.4 points (#8). The bears' vaunted defense has allowed 331 yards and 21

Nobody but Weber can beat Weber. The Wildcats may stumble again this season, but it will not be this week in Greeley.

I don't shy away. I will stand by my picks. When I am wrong, I still am here. If Weber wins, you may take your shots at me. I'm not going anywhere. xthumbsupx

Have to admit, a "crazy" prediction like this makes for great discussion. :)

Native
October 22nd, 2009, 01:55 AM

The Bears defense held EWU to 16 points. They almost beat NAU in Flagstaff. Their offense have had their moments and did put up 30 on ISU in their last game. The Wildcats have THE game they've been looking forward to for almost a year next week. For such a big game, it is possible to look past a one win team to the game you've waited for so long. A possible upset, yes. Will it happen? Remains to be seen, but it is possible.

My apologies and I hope we can patch things up. My goal is to make everyone mad at me this year. I'm sure my friends in the Great West are ready to string me up, not only because of the PSU/Davis game this week, but also the MSU/S Dakota game that I was SOOOO close on last week.

If the Wildcat defense were still down with injuries, then UNC might legitimately be considered to be a trap game, but a healthy Weber defense has shut down the fourth and fifth best offenses in the conference over the past two weeks, holding Eastern Washington to 11 points and Sacramaneto State to 10 points.

I Bleed Purple
October 22nd, 2009, 02:01 AM

lol, just to make sure, don't take that pouting terribly seriously.

As UNC holding EWU to 16 points. Big deal. Weber held 'em to 6 offensive points.

In the fourth quarter.

Up 25-7.

Those six points were on a drive where Nichols went nuts, something I don't think is in the repertoire of UNC.

(No Screamin', there's no need for you to jump in about the next drive and fumbling at the one.)

JALMOND
October 22nd, 2009, 02:30 AM
lol, just to make sure, don't take that pouting terribly seriously.

As UNC holding EWU to 16 points. Big deal. Weber held 'em to 6 offensive points.

In the fourth quarter.

Up 25-7.

Those six points were on a drive where Nichols went nuts, something I don't think is in the repertoire of UNC.

(No Screamin', there's no need for you to jump in about the next drive and fumbling at the one.)

Right or wrong, I will be here. I'd give you the first shot, but I kind of promised Native that opportunity.

I didn't think the pouting was serious. It was cute, though, my friend.

We'll see what happens Saturday. If I go 4-1 with the only blemish being this game, I will be kind of bummed. If I go 5-0, though, well, I won't go there just yet. Either way, I'll still be here, ready for the lynching on Sunday (or ready for the "you da man!").

Native
October 22nd, 2009, 02:33 AM
...Either way, I'll still be here, ready for the lynching on Sunday (or ready for the "you da man!").

Don't hold your breath. You ain't gonna get either a lynching nor congratulations! xpeacex

You still do a great job with these threads, though. xthumbsupx

Poker Alan
October 22nd, 2009, 07:41 AM
I admire him not going chalk, having some guts to pick an upset or two...

Oh, and for who said, "only Weber can beat Weber" .... see ya next week in Wash-Griz to settle that ... ya'll think you have payback from last playoffs.... we have payback on the mind from last regular season.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
October 22nd, 2009, 09:12 AM
I don't have a problem with your Picks Jalmond. I don't think you will go 5-0 this week, but you always do a good job of justifying your picks. xpeacex

Winner in bold, followed by the point spread.
ISU @ NAU 21 or whatever NAU wants xsmiley_wix

UM @ Sac State 14

MSU @ EWU 3

UC-Davis @ PSU 7

WSU @ UNC 10

wapiti
October 22nd, 2009, 09:14 AM
ISU 12 @ NAU 38-- Easy pick here.

UM 32 @ Sac State 28--- Griz are going to be renamed heart attack Griz, by their fans, after another squeeker of a win.

MSU 24 @ EWU 28--- MSU finally gives up a rushing TD, but unlikely from the red zone, it will be more than a 20 yard scamper by Jones.

UC-Davis 32 @ PSU 24--- UC-Davis puts together a good game, but PSU only does for 3 quarters.

WSU 22 @ UNC 14--- BBQ takes care of business on the road and enjoys good bear meat.

ncbears
October 22nd, 2009, 10:28 AM
ISU 12 @ NAU 38-- Easy pick here.

UM 32 @ Sac State 28--- Griz are going to be renamed heart attack Griz, by their fans, after another squeeker of a win.

MSU 24 @ EWU 28--- MSU finally gives up a rushing TD, but unlikely from the red zone, it will be more than a 20 yard scamper by Jones.

UC-Davis 32 @ PSU 24--- UC-Davis puts together a good game, but PSU only does for 3 quarters.

WSU 22 @ UNC 14--- BBQ takes care of business on the road and enjoys good bear meat.

Who's BBQ?

100%GRIZ
October 22nd, 2009, 11:39 AM
ISU 17 NAU 32

UM 45 Sac 10

MSU 24 EWU 20

UC Davis 38 PSU 24

WSU 35 UNC 17

GOKATS
October 22nd, 2009, 11:49 AM
Who's BBQ?

Think about it.........................Weber.................. ....BBQ.................................:)

Silenoz
October 22nd, 2009, 11:59 AM

xlolx

ncbears
October 22nd, 2009, 12:07 PM
I think it could be a trap game for Weber. They have a big showdown with Montana on the 31st. They might just look past us. However, I just don't think UNC will win. I'm hoping, but it ain't gonna happen.

JALMOND
October 22nd, 2009, 12:20 PM
I think it could be a trap game for Weber. They have a big showdown with Montana on the 31st. They might just look past us. However, I just don't think UNC will win. I'm hoping, but it ain't gonna happen.

If Weber comes out right away and is ready to play this weekend in Greeley, this game will be over in a hurry (in Weber's favor). The key for me is the start of the fourth quarter. If Weber is up 2-3 touchdowns, the game will be done. If it's closer (and I think it will be), I like the Bears chances of getting the upset.

Native
October 22nd, 2009, 12:42 PM

Oh, and for who said, "only Weber can beat Weber" .... see ya next week in Wash-Griz to settle that ... ya'll think you have payback from last playoffs.... we have payback on the mind from last regular season.

Thanks! I was hoping to draw a Griz response for that remark. xlolx xthumbsupx

You may recall last year, in which Weber soundly beat the Griz in Ogden, when they won the turnover battle 3-1, then beat themselves in Missoula by losing the turnover battle, 1-3.

The only games Weber has lost in 2008 and 2009 have been those in which the Wildcats lost the turnover battle. The only exception is Weber's 21-37 loss last year to FBS #8 Utah. Thoughh Weber did indeed lose three net turnovers, I kinda think the Utes might have won anyway. xpeacex

I stand by my claim that only Weber will beat Weber in the FCS this year, including at WA GRIZ. You are going to make the same claim about the Griz when Weber takes away the win in Missoula on Halloween.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 22nd, 2009, 01:35 PM
Jalmond is spottin me two games this week! :D

My picks:

MSU 14 @ 31 EWU

UM 38 @ 17 SAC

ISU 10 @ 38 NAU

WSU 34 @ 10 UNC

UCD 24 @ 17 PSU

vettert49
October 22nd, 2009, 01:55 PM
[QUOTEYou may recall last year, in which Weber soundly beat the Griz in Ogden, when they won the turnover battle 3-1, then beat themselves in Missoula by losing the turnover battle, 1-3.[/QUOTE]

If this is the case then Weber didn't beat the Griz in Ogden the Griz beat themselves. Thats usually the way it goes the teams that turns the ball over loses!

Native
October 22nd, 2009, 03:02 PM
You may recall last year, in which Weber soundly beat the Griz in Ogden, when they won the turnover battle 3-1, then beat themselves in Missoula by losing the turnover battle, 1-3.

If this is the case then Weber didn't beat the Griz in Ogden the Griz beat themselves. Thats usually the way it goes the teams that turns the ball over loses!

Yup. Pretty much, as I already stated in a previous post:

...I stand by my claim that only Weber will beat Weber in the FCS this year, including at WA GRIZ. You are going to make the same claim about the Griz when Weber takes away the win in Missoula on Halloween.

The only difference between the Weber-UM games last year is that the score differential when the Wildcats won the turnover battle was 17 points, compared to an 11 point differential when the tables were turned. xthumbsupx

Silenoz
October 22nd, 2009, 03:19 PM
Yup. Pretty much, except that the score differential when the Wildcats won the turnover battle was 17 points, compared to an 11 point differential when the tables were turned. xthumbsupx
That's fine, we'll let you have the score differential once every decade or two :D

EdubAlum
October 22nd, 2009, 03:29 PM
Jalmond is spottin me two games this week! :D

My picks:

MSU 14 @ 31 EWU

UM 38 @ 17 SAC

ISU 10 @ 38 NAU

WSU 34 @ 10 UNC

UCD 24 @ 17 PSU

I like these, except. I think UNC scores more points, and i think PSU beats UCD.

UNCBears2010
October 22nd, 2009, 03:40 PM
I really hope you're wrong about the UNC-Weber game, JALMOND. A win like that would be just what our AD needs to let Downing keep his job.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
October 22nd, 2009, 03:49 PM
I really hope you're wrong about the UNC-Weber game, JALMOND. A win like that would be just what our AD needs to let Downing keep his job.

Man, harsh! xlolx

UNCBears2010
October 22nd, 2009, 03:51 PM
Man, harsh! xlolx

Watching your team go 5-36 over a four-year stretch will do that to you.

JackFan
October 22nd, 2009, 04:01 PM

The only games Weber has lost in 2008 and 2009 have been those in which the Wildcats lost the turnover battle. The only exception is Weber's 21-37 loss last year to FBS #8 Utah. Thoughh Weber did indeed lose three net turnovers, I kinda think the Utes might have won anyway. xpeacex

I stand by my claim that only Weber will beat Weber in the FCS this year, including at WA GRIZ. You are going to make the same claim about the Griz when Weber takes away the win in Missoula on Halloween.

Haha if you follow football long enough anybody can figure out that when you win the turnover battle you more then likely win the game…ITS NOT ROCKET SCINCE!!! Turnover margin is a large part of the game, if you lose in the turnover column you lose, because its part of the game. This is the most ridiculous thing I have read on this message board.

Do you know how many teams would claim not to have lost a game if they were to go by your criteria for a loss. Unless your claiming that your wildcats meant to fumble the ball or throw an interception, your guys lost. Haha I cant stop laughing

Screamin_Eagle174
October 22nd, 2009, 04:01 PM
I like these, except. I think UNC scores more points, and i think PSU beats UCD.

I don't. Davis is a much better team than their record indicates. They played the Griz to the wire and Boise State tough. PSU on the other hand has QB issues with Hubel still out? Jalmond?

JALMOND
October 22nd, 2009, 04:11 PM
I don't. Davis is a much better team than their record indicates. They played the Griz to the wire and Boise State tough. PSU on the other hand has QB issues with Hubel still out? Jalmond?

What I know on the quarterback issue is that Glanville and staff are incredibly mum on the subject, as compared to last week when Kavanaugh was hyped as making his first start. It is Thursday and all I know is that Hubel is still listed as questionable. Wish I could help you out more.

JALMOND
October 22nd, 2009, 04:13 PM

Geez, I knew I was going to get static from Weber. I didn't know I'd get it from Northern Colorado as well.xoopsx:D

Native
October 22nd, 2009, 04:39 PM
Haha if you follow football long enough anybody can figure out that when you win the turnover battle you more then likely win the game…ITS NOT ROCKET SCINCE!!! Turnover margin is a large part of the game, if you lose in the turnover column you lose, because its part of the game. This is the most ridiculous thing I have read on this message board.

Do you know how many teams would claim not to have lost a game if they were to go by your criteria for a loss. Unless your claiming that your wildcats meant to fumble the ball or throw an interception, your guys lost. Haha I cant stop laughing

Of course it's not "ROCKET SCINCE!" xthumbsupx xlolxxlolxxlolx

If you get right down to it, the entire sports blogosphere is "ridiculous," as you say. But fans have to have something to do in between the games. Discussing turnover correleation is a lot less ridiculous than the rampant homeristic smack and so-called "analysis" proffered as objective.

The correlation between turnover differential and game result is not 100%, however, and it is not the same for every team. Here are the numbers for Weber for 2008 and 2009:

Date, Opponent, Result, Net TO, Net Yds
8-Nov-08 at Idaho State W 59-27 4 317
29-Nov-08 at #3 Cal Poly W 49-35 4 16
10-Oct-09 at #14 E Washington W 31-13 4 30
4-Oct-08 MONTANA W 45-28 3 19
25-Oct-08 at #15 N Arizona W 42-14 3 157
19-Sep-09 IDAHO STATE W 44-17 3 152
1-Nov-08 PORTLAND STATE W 31-21 2 -68
17-Oct-09 SACRAMENTO STATE W 49-10 2 82
11-Oct-08 at Montana State W 35-12 1 93
6-Sep-08 at Hawaii L 17-36 0 -225
26-Sep-09 at Portland State W 36-29 0 22
20-Sep-08 Sac State W 32-27 -1 121
27-Sep-08 at #17 Utah L 21-37 -1 -91
12-Sep-09 at Colorado State L 23-24 -2 15
3-Oct-09 MONTANA STATE L 21-26 -2 117
18-Oct-08 N COLORADO W 17-10 -3 429
6-Dec-08 at Montana L 13-24 -3 -41
22-Nov-08 E WASHINGTON L 26-33 -4 6
5-Sep-09 at Wyoming L 22-29 -4 -23

What is the turnover differential correlation for the Lumberjacks, JackFan?

catatac
October 22nd, 2009, 04:58 PM

You know it's funny... because I have huge respect for Davis too. And South Dakota took them to overtime the game prior to when we (MSU) played them... yet when the Coyotes took us to overtime last weekend, everybody is saying we suck because we should have blown them away. Just silly.

Native
October 22nd, 2009, 05:05 PM
You know it's funny... because I have huge respect for Davis too. And South Dakota took them to overtime the game prior to when we (MSU) played them... yet when the Coyotes took us to overtime last weekend, everybody is saying we suck because we should have blown them away. Just silly.

I say that MSU won and still has a chance for 8 DI victories if they win out the rest of the season.

Ronbo
October 22nd, 2009, 05:06 PM
The guys from SDSU and NDSU have posted that South Dakota is tough this year.

SochorField
October 22nd, 2009, 05:54 PM

From what USD posters (and posters from teams that played them) were saying that USD is "waaaaaay tougher" and "like a different team" at home.

I watched them play UCD in the Dome (tv), and they were real tough. I didn't see the game at MSU, however.

wapiti
October 22nd, 2009, 06:10 PM
From what USD posters (and posters from teams that played them) were saying that USD is "waaaaaay tougher" and "like a different team" at home.

I watched them play UCD in the Dome (tv), and they were real tough. I didn't see the game at MSU, however.

I watched the game on tv, and South Dakota has a good quarterback and their O-line was good enough to give him enough time to do something with the ball.
Their running backs were not top teir, but they were not slouches either and they played a smart game.

CrunchGriz
October 22nd, 2009, 06:24 PM
That's fine, we'll let you have the score differential once every decade or two :D

...as long as the Griz win the game that really matters -- in the playoffs.

mlbowl
October 22nd, 2009, 08:48 PM

Maybe you need a memory refresher...Montana had a 21 to 10 lead in Ogden before the turnovers...So, I do believe Montana beat themselvesxnodx...I'm sure I've heard that theory beforexnodxxnodxxlolxxthumbsupx

Grizo406
October 22nd, 2009, 10:29 PM
As usual, JALMOND, excellent job!

Big props to you for pickin' UNC over Weber, but I think the Wildcats will win this one.

FWIW, and as much as I hate to say it, I also thought Weber was going to dominate my 2nd favorite team from Montana...

Again, great job on your predictions!!xthumbsupx

JALMOND
October 22nd, 2009, 11:16 PM
As usual, JALMOND, excellent job!

Big props to you for pickin' UNC over Weber, but I think the Wildcats will win this one.

FWIW, and as much as I hate to say it, I also thought Weber was going to dominate my 2nd favorite team from Montana...

Again, great job on your predictions!!xthumbsupx

Thank you.

I always think we have great discussions when the predictions or the power rankings reach three pages. I pick an upset and we are at five pages on Thursday night. Maybe I should pick an upset every week (kind of a throwaway pick).

Even with all the discussion, I still like UNC over WSU. I stand by that pick. If anything, it hides the PSU over Davis pick and makes me look less of a homer.

Native
October 22nd, 2009, 11:44 PM
Maybe you need a memory refresher...Montana had a 21 to 10 lead in Ogden before the turnovers...So, I do believe Montana beat themselvesxnodx...I'm sure I've heard that theory beforexnodxxnodxxlolxxthumbsupx

xlolxxlolxxlolx Thanks for obliging me! xthumbsupx

ddmann
October 23rd, 2009, 12:43 AM
Jalmond I gotta love ya for sticking your neck out so damn far! And I'm with ya on the BBQ/Bear choice. My buddy and I were talking about this on Tuesday afternoon. We both beleive the weebs are just a little to hungry to for halloween candy if you know what I mean.

I'l be at the eagles/bobkittties game, felt certain about the eagles winning until Boyce went down. Now I am on the fence but still pullin for the eagles.

Native
October 23rd, 2009, 09:03 AM
Jalmond I gotta love ya for sticking your neck out so damn far! And I'm with ya on the BBQ/Bear choice. My buddy and I were talking about this on Tuesday afternoon. We both beleive the weebs are just a little to hungry to for halloween candy if you know what I mean.

I'l be at the eagles/bobkittties game, felt certain about the eagles winning until Boyce went down. Now I am on the fence but still pullin for the eagles.

Sorry boys. The trap game for Weber is more likely to be Cal Poly.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 23rd, 2009, 02:41 PM

Like I've said before, as much of a stud as Boyce is/was for us, it's not going to affect us too much. We're loaded at WR, and this just means Tony Davis, Nate Overbay, and Nick Edwards will get more grabs. The Bobcats are a lot more beat up than EWU.

Good to know some other teams' fans are going to make it to this game. Should be a good one. 7 straight...

Walkon79
October 23rd, 2009, 02:48 PM
Regardless of the outcome, I'd like to see one streak continue.

No rushing touchdowns against the MSU D.

HLNgriz
October 23rd, 2009, 02:57 PM

That would be huge. Jone is really good at making tacklers miss. If you put a good pop on him he seems to go down and I do not recall him breaking many tackles or draging tacklers. The kid from calpoly was a great inside runner and Smith from Weebs is great also. What I like about Smith is he can catch, block, run in or out. Just like Chasexthumbsupx

Screamin_Eagle174
October 23rd, 2009, 02:57 PM

I wouldn't hold onto too much hope for that one with Jones in the backfield. You think Rick Bobby was fast, wait till you see this kid! xlolx

CrazyCat
October 23rd, 2009, 03:17 PM
I wouldn't hold onto too much hope for that one with Jones in the backfield. You think Rick Bobby was fast, wait till you see this kid! xlolx

I'm not saying he will or won't but he didn't against Northern Colorado or Weber.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 23rd, 2009, 03:34 PM
I'm not saying he will or won't but he didn't against Northern Colorado or Weber.

He would've against Weber had he not done a freshman move by sticking the ball out unprotected at the goaline and fumbled it away.

But then again, he did score against Montana, a much better defense than the aforementioned two. 145 yards too. xthumbsupx

JALMOND
October 23rd, 2009, 04:28 PM
Like I've said before, as much of a stud as Boyce is/was for us, it's not going to affect us too much. We're loaded at WR, and this just means Tony Davis, Nate Overbay, and Nick Edwards will get more grabs. The Bobcats are a lot more beat up than EWU.

Good to know some other teams' fans are going to make it to this game. Should be a good one. 7 straight...

One streak I look forward to continuing is 4 straight next week in Seattle. We were more concerned with Boyce than we have been with Jones (yawn). Then, after we make it 5 straight next year in Portland (no moving the game for us), we can once again make it 6 straight wherever you want to play it (even Farmer Jim's hayfield outside of Ritzville).xthumbsupx

Screamin_Eagle174
October 23rd, 2009, 05:15 PM
One streak I look forward to continuing is 4 straight next week in Seattle. We were more concerned with Boyce than we have been with Jones (yawn). Then, after we make it 5 straight next year in Portland (no moving the game for us), we can once again make it 6 straight wherever you want to play it (even Farmer Jim's hayfield outside of Ritzville).xthumbsupx

And how does PSU plan to do that without a good or healthy QB? xlolx

EWU is going to ravage the Vikings. And I just may be in Seattle to watch it... :D

DavisAggie
October 23rd, 2009, 06:17 PM
What I know on the quarterback issue is that Glanville and staff are incredibly mum on the subject, as compared to last week when Kavanaugh was hyped as making his first start. It is Thursday and all I know is that Hubel is still listed as questionable. Wish I could help you out more.

Hubel can move the ball, Kavanaugh can't. Hard to pick this one with Hubel's status unknown. Hubel at 70% or below UC Davis wins.

Other picks:

MSU @ EWU

UM @ SAC

ISU @ NAU

WSU @ UNC

JALMOND
October 23rd, 2009, 07:00 PM
Hubel can move the ball, Kavanaugh can't. Hard to pick this one with Hubel's status unknown. Hubel at 70% or below UC Davis wins.

Other picks:

MSU @ EWU

UM @ SAC

ISU @ NAU

WSU @ UNC

Friday afternoon, from what I can gather, it is currently 45% Engstrom, 45% Kavanaugh and 10% Hubel as far as the Viking quarterback situation goes. Hubel is still listed as questionable and Glanville would like to save him for next week's game anyway against EWU. Kavanaugh still has all the hype and is a local Portland product, having played at Lincoln High School (those of you familiar with Portland, Lincoln plays their games just across the street east from PGE Park). Engstrom is more of a Hubel type quarterback, and is from Scappoose, Oregon (more known for former Oregon State and current Cleveland Browns quarterback Derek Anderson).

Both Engstrom and Kavanaugh have practiced with the first string all week, and Glanville has said it is a gametime decision. I will try to get an answer before I post the game thread tomorrow.

JALMOND
October 23rd, 2009, 07:04 PM
And how does PSU plan to do that without a good or healthy QB? xlolx

EWU is going to ravage the Vikings. And I just may be in Seattle to watch it... :D

The same way we did it two years ago in Cheney, which is... (ummm) I don't know, but we did it.:D

Screamin_Eagle174
October 23rd, 2009, 07:21 PM
The same way we did it two years ago in Cheney, which is... (ummm) I don't know, but we did it.:D

I know you know a lot about football, Jalmond. But perhaps you should've studied some more geography.

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt! xlolx

JALMOND
October 23rd, 2009, 09:16 PM
I know you know a lot about football, Jalmond. But perhaps you should've studied some more geography.

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt! xlolx

Hey, I do know where Cheney is, although I might have got confused if you didn't have Eastern in your name.xthumbsupx

No matter where you schedule the game in two years, I'll find it. It may be close to when the game is, but I'll find it. Wazzu is playing our basketball team in the "Tri-Cities", and it only took me two months to realize that is Kennewick. How about playing the game in Kennewick (or as you say "Tri-Cities")?

Seattle? That's that city north of Portland that has no NBA team, right? With the terrible NFL team that I am forced to watch because FOX says so, even though Minnesota has Farve now.

See, I know some things about geography. But I am confused on "Denial". Is that near Wenatchee?:)

I Bleed Purple
October 23rd, 2009, 11:12 PM
I hate Breet Favor.

bpcats
October 24th, 2009, 01:45 AM
MSU will probably be without their starting punter, maybe their kicker, Buck Buchannon candidate Dane Fletcher DE, other starting DE Oconnell, two or three linebackers, etc.

EWU is going to whoop on the Cats tomorrow...it would have been a tough game to win with a fully healthy team. Bryson Brown and Davis can take over a game all by themselves.

Just sucks..two years in row we are decimated by injuries or flu or whatever...

Screamin_Eagle174
October 24th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Hey, I do know where Cheney is, although I might have got confused if you didn't have Eastern in your name.xthumbsupx

No matter where you schedule the game in two years, I'll find it. It may be close to when the game is, but I'll find it. Wazzu is playing our basketball team in the "Tri-Cities", and it only took me two months to realize that is Kennewick. How about playing the game in Kennewick (or as you say "Tri-Cities")?

Seattle? That's that city north of Portland that has no NBA team, right? With the terrible NFL team that I am forced to watch because FOX says so, even though Minnesota has Farve now.

See, I know some things about geography. But I am confused on "Denial". Is that near Wenatchee?:)

The Tri-Cities are exactly that; three cities, comprised of Kennewick, Richland and Pasco. I lived in Kennewick all my life you sonnuva... xthumbsupx

And you know, you could always watch Portland's NFL team... oh yeah. xwhistlex

JALMOND
October 24th, 2009, 08:34 PM
So I head into this weekend sitting at 36-4. Pretty good, but really no surprises, and the games seem to be getting harder every week. The games begin to tell who is going to the playoffs and who will be staying home. Last week we got some separation, will that continue this weekend. This week's predictions on the Big Sky slate. All are my opinion and all are open for discussion.

ISU @ NAU---Slowly the Jacks are emerging as a serious contender for the Big Sky conference title and/or a playoff spot. Last week a fine performance at rain soaked Portland State. The Bengals, on the other hand, are heading towards a winless year after losing at home to Northern Colorado. Anything here that may change the fortunes of either team? Well, right now it is 0-0, but at the end...NAU 52, ISU 10.

UM @ Sac State---Last week, the Grizzlies got back on their way towards a conference title as they dispatched Eastern Washington after two weeks away from the conference race. The Hornets tried to show they were contenders, yet they fell flat on their face against Weber State. The Hornets would like to think they are contenders and would like to show the Grizzlies. In the end,...UM 31, Sac State 21.

MSU @ EWU---Two teams truly on the edge after last week. The Eagles lost a heartbreaker to Montana while the Bobcats were in a nonconference tussle with South Dakota. The Bobcats return to the conference against the Eagles, who have owned them in recent years. Can the Bobcats return to action with a win and get back in the race?...EWU 28, MSU 17.

I missed the two that I knew were going to be tough. Still 3-2 for the week, brings me to 39-6 for the year. Hopefully next week I can get back to my winning ways.

JALMOND
October 24th, 2009, 08:42 PM
I knew I was in trouble on the UNC/WSU pick when two people whom I respect, Native and IBP, both basically said there was no chance that was going to happen. Oh, well. On to next week.

NC Aggie
October 24th, 2009, 08:43 PM
I missed the two that I knew were going to be tough. Still 3-2 for the week, brings me to 39-6 for the year. Hopefully next week I can get back to my winning ways.

J St. Tech hung pretty close in their D1AA game.

I Bleed Purple
October 24th, 2009, 08:52 PM
I knew I was in trouble on the UNC/WSU pick when two people whom I respect, Native and IBP, both basically said there was no chance that was going to happen. Oh, well. On to next week.

Actually, you were more right than you know. I figured this would be the year we finally were able to play UNC and pull away from them, but yet again, we couldn't/they didn't let us. It was 21-20 late in the fourth. They never got the ball with the chance to take the lead. We scored on the next possession.

JALMOND
October 24th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Actually, you were more right than you know. I figured this would be the year we finally were able to play UNC and pull away from them, but yet again, we couldn't/they didn't let us. It was 21-20 late in the fourth. They never got the ball with the chance to take the lead. We scored on the next possession.

Dang. So close. And we were ahead in the fourth against UC-Davis. Still, close means I missed both of them. xthumbsupx

Screamin_Eagle174
October 24th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Correct Pick
Incorrect Pick
Actual Score
(-123) = Difference between predicted and actual point spread
APSE = Average Point Spread Error

MSU 14 @ 31 EWU
MSU 24 @ 35 EWU (-6)

UM 38 @ 17 SAC
UM 45 @ 30 SAC (-6)

ISU 10 @ 38 NAU
ISU 12 @ 40 NAU (-0) xthumbsupx

WSU 34 @ 10 UNC
WSU 28 @ 20 UNC (-16)

UCD 24 @ 17 PSU
UCD 34 @ 31 PSU (-4)

This week: 5-0
Last week: 4-1
Overall: 37-8
APSE this week: 5.3 pts
APSE last week: 10.2 pts
APSE overall: 11.2 pts

Well an easy week for me, since Jalmond was so nice to spot me those two games. :D My score predictions weren't half bad either, as I cut my APSE in half and pretty much nailed the NAU/ISU game. And so the season continues...

I Bleed Purple
October 24th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Well done. Sorry we couldn't have made it better for you.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 24th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Well done. Sorry we couldn't have made it better for you.

Yeah, UNC is sort of a Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde team this year (ignoring their overall record). Looks like they gave Weber a game today.

Native
October 24th, 2009, 09:30 PM

UNC did indeed pull within 1 point for 3 minutes and 27 seconds in the 4th quarter. They Bears DID get the ball on a missed FG after a bad snap, but subsequently threw an interception which the Wildcats qiuckly turned into a TD.

Good job by both the Northern Colorado offense and defense.xthumbsupx

Native
October 24th, 2009, 09:36 PM
The guys from SDSU and NDSU have posted that South Dakota is tough this year.

Hey Ronbo! South Dakota State has been impressive, but not quite good enough to beat Cal Poly.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 24th, 2009, 09:43 PM
And just in case he misses the 10-3 prediction thread, here's his post again:

THAT streak ends this year, write it down

Lucky for you I did write it down. 7 Straight... and so the streak continues... xthumbsupx

:D

JALMOND
October 24th, 2009, 09:47 PM

Lucky for you I did write it down. 7 Straight... and so the streak continues... xthumbsupx

Geez, Scream, what do you do, bookmark each slight? It's a good thing I date these things.

Are you going to recycle every 27 threads that I talked about with PSU continuing its streak against EWU? That'll be funny.xthumbsupx

Native
October 24th, 2009, 09:47 PM

Thanks for the tip of the hat, JALMOND! Hope I did not say, "no chance," but I'm glad we got the W.

...and now for MONTANA! xnodx xnodx xnodx

Screamin_Eagle174
October 24th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Geez, Scream, what do you do, bookmark each slight? It's a good thing I date these things.

Are you going to recycle every 27 threads that I talked about with PSU continuing its streak against EWU? That'll be funny.xthumbsupx

Don't give me any ideas. xlolxxlolxxlolx

cats2506
October 24th, 2009, 10:09 PM

Well I'm glad you feel that good about that win scummy_eagle174, Congrats, but I was pretty dissapointed in Ewoooo's play today, given the situation this week I expected to be blown out. PSU will probably get their annual win against the eagles next week and then the NCAA can offically deny your apeal.

JALMOND
October 24th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Well I'm glad you feel that good about that win scummy_eagle174, Congrats, but I was pretty dissapointed in Ewoooo's play today, given the situation this week I expected to be blown out. PSU will probably get their annual win against the eagles next week and then the NCAA can offically deny your apeal.

We won't win unless Hubel is back. What was clear last week and this week is that Kavanaugh cannot throw the ball in a passing offensive attack like Portland State's. He's a helluva running quarterback, but we have a passing attack (or supposed to have).

I Bleed Purple
October 24th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Makes me wonder what Glanville is doing up there Jalmond. When is the big name going to wear off and lack of performance going to put pressure on him? McBride was getting some heat going into his fourth year, which was last year. His team responded and he was extended.

JALMOND
October 24th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Makes me wonder what Glanville is doing up there Jalmond. When is the big name going to wear off and lack of performance going to put pressure on him? McBride was getting some heat going into his fourth year, which was last year. His team responded and he was extended.

I don't want this to come across as making excuses. On our roster this year, half of the kids are true freshmen. We are extremely young. Also, I'm sure Mouse Davis's resignation caught Glanville by surprise. Then, Davis' replacement bolts for Edmonton right before the season begins. Also, Glanville tried to "tweak" the offense by emphasizing the run more. Glanville has two good quarterbacks that are the opposites of each other. Hubel is an excellent thrower but not much of a runner (the team calls him "Big Bird" when he runs). Kavanaugh is a great running quarterback, but not much of a thrower. The whole year has been trying to get the young kids acclimated to college football (and college life for that matter).

I doubt Glanville will be forced out of Portland State. What I think will happen is that the losses will continue to take a lot out of him that he will leave on his own. I've been told that Glanville takes each loss very hard, that it hurts him more than anyone can write about it or more than anyone can mention it. If it doesn't change soon, he may leave on his own and take a couple years off. Next year may be the benchmark, both for him and the team. Next year will be his fourth at Portland State and these kids will all have this year under them. Both him and the school may look at next year for results.

I Bleed Purple
October 24th, 2009, 10:59 PM
I don't want this to come across as making excuses. On our roster this year, half of the kids are true freshmen. We are extremely young. Also, I'm sure Mouse Davis's resignation caught Glanville by surprise. Then, Davis' replacement bolts for Edmonton right before the season begins. Also, Glanville tried to "tweak" the offense by emphasizing the run more. Glanville has two good quarterbacks that are the opposites of each other. Hubel is an excellent thrower but not much of a runner (the team calls him "Big Bird" when he runs). Kavanaugh is a great running quarterback, but not much of a thrower. The whole year has been trying to get the young kids acclimated to college football (and college life for that matter).

I doubt Glanville will be forced out of Portland State. What I think will happen is that the losses will continue to take a lot out of him that he will leave on his own. I've been told that Glanville takes each loss very hard, that it hurts him more than anyone can write about it or more than anyone can mention it. If it doesn't change soon, he may leave on his own and take a couple years off. Next year may be the benchmark, both for him and the team. Next year will be his fourth at Portland State and these kids will all have this year under them. Both him and the school may look at next year for results.

Okay, then next year is his fourth year. That's when his recruits are the upperclassmen. Still, seems odd that you'd recruit a running quarterback in that run 'n' shoot offense.

Wouldn't the scenario you describe label Glanville a quitter? If he voluntarily resigns from PSU, wouldn't that mean he's done as a coach, or at the very least a head coach?

What McBride did was take over a 1-10 team then went 6-5, 4-7, 5-6 until his fourth year when we went 10-4. Glanville took over a 7-4 team and has gone 3-8, 4-7, and is currently 2-6 with three to go. I'm not putting much stock in dropping by four games the first year, but the program was in much better straits than Weber was at the time. What's happened? You mention some things, but it doesn't seem like a Jerry Glanville coached team should have that bad a record for three years.

GolfingGriz
October 24th, 2009, 11:54 PM

Watched most of the first half and flipped to the game when the Griz were in a commercial. The Cats would have been blown out if EWU would have brought the same effort they brought to WaGriz last week. I'm just glad they finally pulled it together. Wouldn't want there to anything but bragging rights on the line when we meet in Bozeman.

eagle1
October 24th, 2009, 11:57 PM
cats2506 needs another hobby because Bobcat football isn't workin!

JALMOND
October 25th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Okay, then next year is his fourth year. That's when his recruits are the upperclassmen. Still, seems odd that you'd recruit a running quarterback in that run 'n' shoot offense.

Wouldn't the scenario you describe label Glanville a quitter? If he voluntarily resigns from PSU, wouldn't that mean he's done as a coach, or at the very least a head coach?

What McBride did was take over a 1-10 team then went 6-5, 4-7, 5-6 until his fourth year when we went 10-4. Glanville took over a 7-4 team and has gone 3-8, 4-7, and is currently 2-6 with three to go. I'm not putting much stock in dropping by four games the first year, but the program was in much better straits than Weber was at the time. What's happened? You mention some things, but it doesn't seem like a Jerry Glanville coached team should have that bad a record for three years.

What was here before Glanville was traditional, ball control offense under Tim Walsh. What came here was Glanville to promote PSU football to those Duck and Beaver fans just what PSU football was about. Also, the Return of Mouse Davis, bringing the points and championships back to Portland State. What Davis (and the PSU boosters) didn't realize was that it isn't the late 70's anymore, both the Ducks and Beavers had grown into decent football programs (we couldn't bring people in solely on the idea that we are the only winning football program in Oregon anymore), and that they were stuck trying to bring a run and shoot team to a group of kids recruited as a ball control, smash-mouth football team. The team was totally different from Walsh to Glanville/Davis on both sides of the ball.

Davis left the team this year and was not branded a quitter. I'm sure, based on Glanville's prior work, he would not be branded a quitter either. Davis was 78 this year, Glanville is 67. It could come down to, how he handles the losses, either quit coaching or die.

Next year will be the benchmark. Although, he is still Jerry Glanville and, for all he has done for PSU athletics, we do have him for a steal. Based on budget issues, I doubt we could find anyone who does as much as he does for the school and the football team, and be any more successful in four years than what he has done (my opinion).

Screamin_Eagle174
October 25th, 2009, 04:03 AM
cats2506 needs another hobby because Bobcat football isn't workin!

xlolxxlolxxlolxxthumbsupx

Walkon79
October 26th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Watched most of the first half and flipped to the game when the Griz were in a commercial. The Cats would have been blown out if EWU would have brought the same effort they brought to WaGriz last week. I'm just glad they finally pulled it together. Wouldn't want there to anything but bragging rights on the line when we meet in Bozeman.

Blown out? Right, you just keep thinking the Cats are that inferior to your beloved Grizzlies.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 26th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Blown out? Right, you just keep thinking the Cats are that inferior to your beloved Grizzlies.

Thinking? xlolxxlolxxlolx

Look at recent history. Bobcats ARE inferior to the Griz. xrulesx

Walkon79
October 26th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Sure. It must have been that the Eagles played with less effort. Why else could it have been that you were down 10 in the 4th, and if not for a blown call would have still been down with less than 6 minutes to play.

Had nothing to do with the insired play of a bunch of second stringers. My b-tch with most Griz fans is their almost complete lack of respect for a worthy opponent, and now you sir are in that same category.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 26th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Sure. It must have been that the Eagles played with less effort. Why else could it have been that you were down 10 in the 4th, and if not for a blown call would have still been down with less than 6 minutes to play.

Had nothing to do with the insired play of a bunch of second stringers. My b-tch with most Griz fans is their almost complete lack of respect for a worthy opponent, and now you sir are in that same category.

My last statement had nothing to do with Saturday's game. I was talking about the last 10 years; the Cat's have been dominated by Montana.

MSU played a hell of a game on Saturday. But don't be so naive and homeristic as to believe that the no TD call cost MSU the game. Didn't we still march down the field consuming 5 or so minutes off the clock and score again? We would've been up by 4, and still won the game. As Matt Nichols put it,

Nichols said he was standing on the sidelines waiting for the officials to make a call and hoping they would give the Bobcats the touchdown.

“I really was,” said the Eagles’ senior quarterback, “because I was thinking our offense was going to go down and score again, no matter what, and we ended up doing that anyway. It’s one of those things where this team is so resilient, no matter what happens, we believe we can win, and were’ going to go out and make the plays to do that.”

catatac
October 26th, 2009, 06:40 PM
My last statement had nothing to do with Saturday's game. I was talking about the last 10 years; the Cat's have been dominated by Montana.

MSU played a hell of a game on Saturday. But don't be so naive and homeristic as to believe that the no TD call cost MSU the game. Didn't we still march down the field consuming 5 or so minutes off the clock and score again? We would've been up by 4, and still won the game. As Matt Nichols put it,

Well that's all well and good... but if your team is so resiliant and believes they will get it done, whatever it takes to win... what the F happened to them in Missoula? YOu won't hear any sour grapes from my end - you guys won the game, period. I just wish the officiating would have been better and we would have at at least a few more of our starters available... mainly a kicker. xnonono2x

Screamin_Eagle174
October 26th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Well that's all well and good... but if your team is so resiliant and believes they will get it done, whatever it takes to win... what the F happened to them in Missoula? YOu won't hear any sour grapes from my end - you guys won the game, period. I just wish the officiating would have been better and we would have at at least a few more of our starters available... mainly a kicker. xnonono2x

Other than the usual Special Teams FAIL, the same thing that happened to MSU at EWU, but closer. Credit goes to both teams, as it was a hell of a game.

If your kicker/punter made the trip, who knows what would have happened. If Aaron Boyce hadn't got injured, who knows what would've happened. Either way, what might've happened will never matter, only what does. You deal with it, and move on.

Native
October 26th, 2009, 07:25 PM
There are still FIVE Big Sky teams that COULD finish 6-2 in conference play! xeekx

Think about it... xcoolx

jacksfan29
October 26th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Hey Ronbo! South Dakota State has been impressive, but not quite good enough to beat Cal Poly.

Uh I think he was referring to South Dakota (USD) not South Dakota State (SDSU). USD is the transitional team who took an average Montana State (in Montana) team to the wire shortly after losing to UNI 66-7. SDSU is #9 in the country, but hey they did lose to Poly in SLO. As for NDSU and SDSU posters stating USD is a good team, doubt it.

kalm
October 26th, 2009, 10:15 PM
There are still FIVE Big Sky teams that COULD finish 6-2 in conference play! xeekx

Thank about it... xcoolx

I noticed that too. Weber beats Montana, NAU, beats Weber, MSU beats Montana, and EWU runs the table.

More than likely won't happen, but momentarily interesting.

Walkon79
October 27th, 2009, 06:04 PM

I'm not talking about the last 10. I'm talking about this year. If we're healthy we're not inferior to Eastern, the Griz or anybody else in the Sky.

Grizzaholic
October 27th, 2009, 06:06 PM
I'm not talking about the last 10. I'm talking about this year. If we're healthy we're not inferior to Eastern, the Griz or anybody else in the Sky.

Your opinion.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 27th, 2009, 06:11 PM

We'll certainly find out soon enough.

Walkon79
October 28th, 2009, 10:00 AM
We'll certainly find out soon enough.

Probably not, cause we're not near healthy enough to prove it. ISU, PSU and Sac State might help, though.