PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations Appalachian State

grizband
December 16th, 2005, 10:41 PM
A hard fought game, on national television, leading to the schools first national title (apparantly in any college sport, according to the talking heads). You guys persevered all season, and did it with a hobbled QB and a stingy defense. Congratulations!!! :beerchug:

blackfordpu
December 16th, 2005, 10:42 PM
Congraulations to App State. Hard fought game and you came out on top.
:beerchug: xprost2x :beerchug: xprost2x :beerchug: xprost2x :beerchug: xprost2x :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

BlackSaturday
December 16th, 2005, 10:43 PM
Way to go Richie & Co... 2005 National Champions!!!!!!!!!!!!

griz37
December 16th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Congrats Appy St. Thanks for making me the winner in Kardplayers pool! Enjoy it this year, '06 is the year of the Griz!!! :hurray:

blukeys
December 16th, 2005, 10:46 PM
App overcame a lot in this NC game. Congratulations to the Mountaneers.
:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Enjoy the feeling and glad to see you got the monkey off of your back!!!

Kill'em
December 16th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Gutsy performance by Richie and a classy move by Elder to support him. Congratulations to App. St.. You made the SoCon proud.

By the way, congrats to UNI. You had a great season and played very well tonight.

McTailGator
December 16th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Congrats to all the Mountaineer Fans out there...

Good game UNI...

It really was a great game to watch.

I also enjoyed the post game fireworks. That was a nice touch by the Game Organizers.

Mountaineer
December 16th, 2005, 10:52 PM
Dropped by the ASU page and they had just updated it and the picture at the top was of Saturday's graduation ceremony with Richie. :cool:

http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/9422/champs6zo.jpg

AppFootballAlum
December 16th, 2005, 10:53 PM
Dropped by the ASU page and they had just updated it and the picture at the top was of Saturday's graduation ceremony with Richie. :cool:

Damn that was fast. I am glad that Richie had the opportunity to play in his final game with everything on the line

skinny_uncle
December 16th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Damn that was fast. I am glad that Richie had the opportunity to play in his final game with everything on the line
Only fitting.
Congrats to Richie and the Mountaineers.

Kill'em
December 16th, 2005, 11:07 PM

That is the best part. I love to see someone graduate, not flunk out. Way to go Richie!

DB_Atlantic10
December 16th, 2005, 11:07 PM
Congrats......now who will be the one's to knock them off Boone Mountain next year.... :)

W. DeMontague
December 16th, 2005, 11:18 PM
http://www.web.appstate.edu/asuwins_lg.jpg

They even posted a screenshot of the final score from the telecast.

Congrats Appy.

strike00
December 16th, 2005, 11:21 PM
Congrats Appy St. Hard fought and well deserved National Championship.

HI54UNI
December 16th, 2005, 11:25 PM
Congrats to App St. Hope to see you again next year.

Kill'em
December 16th, 2005, 11:27 PM
UNI did itself proud too.

Pard4Life
#97 is a monster... he took over that game towards the end.

Congrats to ASU from all of us in Lafayette-land. It was great to see you guys go all the way. Great seeing all those fans on the field!

grizband
Trey Elder impressed me when he referred to the team as "Richie's team" and that he was just trying to help out. Class statement from a guy who could have acted otherwise.

DB_Atlantic10
December 16th, 2005, 11:30 PM

Not possible, the A-10 will be back next year.... :nod:

Kill'em
December 16th, 2005, 11:30 PM
Trey Elder impressed me when he referred to the team as "Richie's team" and that he was just trying to help out. Class statement from a guy who could have acted otherwise.
I agree with that. What I hate is we have to face him and Richardson the next two years. :bawling:

ButlerGSU
December 16th, 2005, 11:39 PM
Just got back to my room, great game! I was a little let down at the final minute and thirty seconds when you knew ASU was going to win, but they sure deserved it. I congratulated them all in the parking lot and the hundreds I encountered on the field after they won. It was a great day for I-AA football. Everyone I walked up to was friendly and ready to share a story about their team. I'll be sure to post the pictures I took as soon as they are ready.

The only real negative of the night was the LONG concession stand lines and the ASU fan dressed in the pink bunny outfit. I was happy and proud for your fans till he ran to the UNI sideline grabbing his crotch and shouting profanity at the UNI fans, total lack of class on this ASU fans part.

As for concessions, it was frustrating because each time you got in line, you'd see two or three workers standing by the popcorn machine or the cheese machine instead of helping assist the line.

The game, fans and tailgating were fantastic. Prior to the game as I was checking into Staybridge Suites, the fans got into a cheer off. It was awesome and exciting to see the two schools pride. Staybridge did a great job in keeping control but also letting the fans have a great time. I will definitely stay here again for future championship games.

I hope it looked as good on ESPN 2 as it looked in person.

Just want to say hello to all the ASU fans and UNI fans I congratulated on the field, in the stands and in the parking lot after the game. I was the GSU fan in the GSU cap and blue Columbia jacket. App State, you deserve the win 100%, you played a hell of a game. Congratulations ASU!

ravens
December 16th, 2005, 11:41 PM

Didn't your momma teach you not to fib?

SoCon rules !!! :hurray: :hurray:

HI54UNI
December 16th, 2005, 11:42 PM

I don't care who it is as long as we are back next year! :beerchug:

ASUMountaineer
December 16th, 2005, 11:45 PM
Congrats to UNI, you guys were just as deserving. WHAT A GAME!!! Unbelievable. UNI and UNI fans are class acts and with Sanders behind center, I see you guys being back in the NC hunt next year. Best of luck guys, and I hope ASU and UNI get together again soon.

GannonFan
December 16th, 2005, 11:47 PM
Congrats to Appy St - way to hang in there after all the turnovers. Gotta give a lot of credit to the defense, especially the defensive line. Very active and very effective. The whole game centered around that - if UNI kept the front 4 out of the backfield, which wasn't often, then they were very effective. But more often than not penetration from Appy St was the story of the game. Game may have been a lot different and a lot wider margin with a healthy QB for Appy, but even more props to them for winning without him.

Oh, and a sold out Chatty really made the game a lot more exciting to watch - great job by both schools (although Appy was expected being as close as they are - no reason not to be in there in large numbers) but I guess a lot of the congrats goes to the city of Chattanooga - probably more than half of the attendance was from the local vicinity - place wouldn't have been packed without them.

chattanoogamocs
December 17th, 2005, 03:06 AM
Thanks Gannon :)

It has taken time, but I feel like the town has really started to embrace the championship...the Sports Committee, city fathers and UC have really pushed and promoed the hell out of it this year and I think that paid off...I think it has also taken on more of a sense of pride and honor since "turfgate" last year...Chattanoogans do not like to be embarrased on national TV...they stepped up to the plate and fix the problem (there are still some growing pains...concessions, ticket line...but we will continue to work on those too).

Hopefully next year will truly be SRO.

Congrats to App and UNI...and Chattanooga...(if my research is correct) 2nd largest IAA NC crowd ever on a neutral field.

JMU2004
December 17th, 2005, 03:54 AM

It has taken time, but I feel like the town has really started to embrace the championship...the Sports Committee, city fathers and UC have really pushed and promoed the hell out of it this year and I think that paid off...I think it has also taken on more of a sense of pride and honor since "turfgate" last year...Chattanoogans do not like to be embarrased on national TV...they stepped up to the plate and fix the problem (there are still some growing pains...concessions, ticket line...but we will continue to work on those too).

Congrats to App and UNI...and Chattanooga...(if my research is correct) 2nd largest IAA NC crowd ever on a neutral field.

JMU brought about 5k-8k last year, and UM brought thier usual 4k across the country.......Chatty people proly numbered around 3500, and most were gone by half time. Heck of a difference this year

and yes, the field last year made many Natives stream away in shame..... I knew it was bad, but then I saw what the ESPN people said all game. Man, they still talk about it every chance they get

JoltinJoe
December 17th, 2005, 06:34 AM
and yes, the field last year made many Natives stream away in shame..... I knew it was bad, but then I saw what the ESPN people said all game. Man, they still talk about it every chance they get

The field looked great, didn't it. A first-class championship game. Congrats to Appy State, although I was pulling for UNI -- largely because of the banter I've had with my pals Cap and D1B on many issues over the past year.

After all, no App State fan has called me naive and simpled minded, or told me I need to read more. So you can see why I was pulling hard for UNI. :)

ravens
December 17th, 2005, 07:07 AM
The field looked great, didn't it. A first-class championship game. Congrats to Appy State, although I was pulling for UNI -- largely because of the banter I've had with my pals Cap and D1B on many issues over the past year.

After all, no App State fan has called me naive and simpled minded, or told me I need to read more. So you can see why I was pulling hard for UNI. :)

Sorry Cap misled you although he was right about you being naive...to pull against a SoCon team in a SoCon town ???xidiotx

JohnStOnge
December 17th, 2005, 07:14 AM
Great job by the App defense. If you'd have told me before the game that App's offense would only get 298 yards and 14 points I'd have said they had no shot. As far as I can tell looking at box scores nobody's defense, including Iowa's, controlled UNI's offense like that this year when the Panther's starting QB was available throughout the game. In fact it looks like UNI was held to its lowest total yards output (283) of the season.

I think UNI fans can point to a lot of things during this game that could've been. But that App could even be in position with the way their offense is designed and their starting quarterback crippled is remarkable.

I was pulling for App but even if I'd have been neutral I think I'd be kind of glad things turned out as they did. Now there's no wondering about whether or not things would've ended differently if Williams had been healthy.

Umass74
December 17th, 2005, 07:22 AM
Congrats to both teams from Minuteman land. You put on a great show.

Special congrats to Appy on their first National Championship. :hurray:

Uncle Buck
December 17th, 2005, 08:35 AM
Congrats, what a hell of a game by both sides. A classic battle and something that makes the playoff system great. My only complaint is that Rod Gilmore and Trevor Matich (sp?) are terrible and need to get a grip. 1A football needs one champion, not 28 crappy bowl winners.

ravens
December 17th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Congrats to both teams from Minuteman land. You put on a great show.

Special congrats to Appy on their first National Championship. :hurray:

Not a single congrats from a FU fan? Has loser lamb issued a gag order?? :confused: :confused:

Kill'em
December 17th, 2005, 09:00 AM
Congrats, what a hell of a game by both sides. A classic battle and something that makes the playoff system great. My only complaint is that Rod Gilmore and Trevor Matich (sp?) are terrible and need to get a grip. 1A football needs one champion, not 28 crappy bowl winners.
You caught that B.S. too? I couldn't believe they had the round things to say that it is better to have 28 winners in I-A instead of the single winner in I-AA. What morons!

Kill'em
December 17th, 2005, 09:02 AM

It wasn't any better in '98,'99 and 2000!

The field looked great this year. It's something chattanooga can be proud of!

Golden Eagle
December 17th, 2005, 09:04 AM
Congratulations, Mountaineer fans.

FU5454
December 17th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Not a single congrats from a FU fan?

Congrats to the Appys.

I watched the game in a bar and couldn't hear (which may have been a blessing considering the announcing crew), but I have a question. What the heck did #14 for the Appys do wrong? I think it was 3rd down and there was an incomplete pass and after the play, I could see Williams motioning emphatically to someone down field. Then I saw a coach grab the kid like a parent grabs a toddler in a grocery store (just before Child Services is called). Then there were 2 or 3 other Appys in his face. Then I saw him throw his helmet in a motion worthy of Al Oerter's best efforts.......They came back to him about 5 minutes later and shiite was still going on around him......but I never saw ESPN re-run the play.

What happened? Quit on the route? Alligator Arms? Gave aid and comfort to Bin-Laden? I've never seen such agitation after an incomplete pass.....I coulda missed something......Li'l Help?

ravens
December 17th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Congrats to the Appys.

What happened? Quit on the route? Alligator Arms? Gave aid and comfort to Bin-Laden? I've never seen such agitation after an incomplete pass.....I coulda missed something......Li'l Help?

Quit on the route which really bent Williams who probably figured if he could play on one leg the least the receiver could do was try to run on two.

Thanks for the sole congrats from FU ( even though it came in 37th ). I thought maybe lamb had issued a gag order on congrats being the gracious loser he showed himself to be last week on national tv. :asswhip:

PapaBear
December 17th, 2005, 10:29 AM
A true team win. Heroic efforts by lots of guys when it counted. That was no slouch team you beat. UNI brought the farm.

Congrats also to both schools and Chattanooga for filling the stadium and creating a true, big-time, playoff, everything-on-the-line freaking CHAMPIONSHIP instead of some watered-down self-esteem bowl.

Memo to ESPN2 guys: Ask any Penn State player how much of a "champion" he feels like, no matter how badly the Lions beat FSU. Ask whether they'd feel exploited or susceptible to injury if they had to smash their way through a true playoff field for a shot at Leinert and Bush. :asswhip:

OL FU
December 17th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Congratulations ASU. Both teams made it exciting. I love to see defenses win the game.

PS I am glad I can put the right helmet back on :smiley_wi

Kill'em
December 17th, 2005, 11:14 AM
A true team win. Heroic efforts by lots of guys when it counted. That was no slouch team you beat. UNI brought the farm.

Congrats also to both schools and Chattanooga for filling the stadium and creating a true, big-time, playoff, everything-on-the-line freaking CHAMPIONSHIP instead of some watered-down self-esteem bowl.

Memo to ESPN2 guys: Ask any Penn State player how much of a "champion" he feels like, no matter how badly the Lions beat FSU. Ask whether they'd feel exploited or susceptible to injury if they had to smash their way through a true playoff field for a shot at Leinert and Bush. :asswhip:
But the playoffs make the regular season meaningless. :nonono2: Oh the burden it must be on the ignorant.

OL FU
December 17th, 2005, 11:53 AM
But the playoffs make the regular season meaningless. :nonono2: Oh the burden it must be on the ignorant.

Everytime I hear someone give all the reasons not to have a playoff, academics, stress, twenty thousand teams get to end their season with a bowl win, all I can think of is if those reason are good enough for football why are those reasons not good enough for every other NCAA sports championships. :rolleyes:

Announcers and others that give those reason look like xidiotx due to that one thing.

Spider
December 17th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Congrats natl champ Apps and UNI for a great game. Hope to see you somewhere down the playoff road next year....

FU5454
December 17th, 2005, 12:47 PM
...lamb had issued a gag order on congrats being the gracious loser he showed himself to be last week on national tv. :asswhip:

Thanks for the info, but...

--------------------------------------------------
"Has loser lamb issued a gag order?? :confused: :confused:"

"Lamb's delay of loss stand :) :) :)"

"did you ask coach lamb to lose with some class? :boring:"

"Unsportsmanlike penalty for standing in middle of field preventing game from continuing"

"Not so sure I like what...Lamb showed of 1-AA coaches to national television. :confused:"

"Furman get back on the bus and out of those mountains. :D"
----------------------------------------------------

hmmmmm? above excerpts come from 7 different posts you've made on this National Message Board.

---------------------------------------------------
www.dictionary.com (http://www.dictionary.com/) says:

gra·cious http://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/JPG/pron.jpg (https://secure.reference.com/premium/login.html?rd=2&u=http%3A%2F%2Fdictionary.reference.com%2Fsearch%3 Fq%3Dgracious) ( P ) Pronunciation Key (http://dictionary.reference.com/help/ahd4/pronkey.html) (grhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/amacr.gifhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/prime.gifshhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/schwa.gifs)
adj.

Characterized by kindness and warm courtesy.
Characterized by tact and propriety.
Of a merciful or compassionate nature.
Characterized by charm or beauty; graceful.
Characterized by elegance and good taste.

Does commenting like this repeatedly fit with your definition of being "gracious?"

OL FU
December 17th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Not a single congrats from a FU fan? Has loser lamb issued a gag order?? :confused: :confused:

You seem not to have been paying attention all last week. Congrats to ASU and all of their fans especially Black Gold Express, I-AA 2005, AppGuy04, Appdad and many of the others I missed except for ravens. I would congratulate him but he has his fingers in his ears and his foot in his mouth :eek:

diznanl
December 17th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Wow ... ASU come from behind to make it happen, even after 3 cough-ups and an injured QB. Both defenses were solid, but Richie Williams dominated as QB, and on the defensive end, Hunter and Murrell had an outstanding game ... 59 TFL yards combined!

Again, great win, and hopefully we'll be seeing Appy somewhere down the road

AppalachianBabe
December 17th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Great job apps!! you guys kicked a$$!

Appdad
December 17th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Quote from Mrs. Moore at the NC game...

• Five hours before last night's game, Coach Bobby Lamb of Furman made a call to Coach Jerry Moore's hotel room.

Margaret Moore, who is the wife of Jerry, said that Lamb called to wish Moore good luck in the game.

"That shows you the camaraderie that's exists around the league," Margaret said about the gesture of Lamb, whose team lost to ASU last week in the semifinals. "It's like that around the Southern Conference and it's like that with the wives as well because we all know what it's like."

Margaret said that other head coaches from around the league also called earlier in the week.

"I know people don't want to believe it, but the coaches around the league all really respect each other," she said. "And that's one of the reasons we've loved being here at Appalachian State."

ravens
December 17th, 2005, 03:13 PM
You seem not to have been paying attention all last week. Congrats to ASU and all of their fans especially Black Gold Express, I-AA 2005, AppGuy04, Appdad and many of the others I missed except for ravens. I would congratulate him but he has his fingers in his ears and his foot in his mouth :eek:

No fingers in my ears...but it took 37 posts before a FU fan offerred up their first congrats.

saint0917
December 17th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Great game, Congrats to all you App. St. fans. :hurray: :beerchug: :bow: :nod:

ravens
December 17th, 2005, 03:18 PM
"Unsportsmanlike penalty for standing in middle of field preventing game from continuing"

"Not so sure I like what...Lamb showed of 1-AA coaches to national television. :confused:"

Does commenting like this repeatedly fit with your definition of being "gracious?"

You think maybe I find his behavior as a coach offensive? Lets compare him to Coach Moore.

windwalker
December 17th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Great game.. Great win for App State..

Congrats to UNI for a fantastic season..

The entire show last night was very good for I-AA.

I said in the 1st round.. App State all the way...

ravens
December 17th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Quote from Mrs. Moore at the NC game...

• Five hours before last night's game, Coach Bobby Lamb of Furman made a call to Coach Jerry Moore's hotel room.

Margaret Moore, who is the wife of Jerry, said that Lamb called to wish Moore good luck in the game.

Margaret said that other head coaches from around the league also called earlier in the week.

"

Lamb is the last SoCon coach to call and they make an announcement?
Guess the SoCon is trying to put the best spin than can for him.

Appdad
December 17th, 2005, 04:28 PM

Mrs. Moore isn't spinning for anybody. I am sure she mentioned Coach Lamb to the Winston Salem paper because she wanted to not because she was making a publicity statement.

tralfangar
December 17th, 2005, 04:29 PM

ravens, maybe they don't check AGS every second of their lives??? :asswhip:

Let it go man... I didn't even think you were an ASU fan...for some reason I thought you were Ga Southern. We appreciate your support, but just lay off the Furman guys. They all wished us good luck in the title game after we won the semifinal matchup. And while I'm not a huge fan of Lamb, just lay off him too...it's just getting annoying now.

ravens
December 17th, 2005, 04:44 PM
ravens, maybe they don't check AGS every second of their lives??? :asswhip:

Let it go man... I didn't even think you were an ASU fan...for some reason I thought you were Ga Southern. We appreciate your support, but just lay off the Furman guys. They all wished us good luck in the title game after we won the semifinal matchup. And while I'm not a huge fan of Lamb, just lay off him too...it's just getting annoying now.

No what is annoying is that I can't say I find the guy offensive without drawing the wrath of all FU fans.

Go...gate
December 17th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Congratulations to ASU and kudos to their courageous No. 7. Mickey Mantle, another great No. 7 who overcame injury, would have been proud.

Great game by NIU, which has much to be proud of.

IMO, best final game in a while!

tralfangar
December 17th, 2005, 05:28 PM
ha! understood...but let's keep this a happy thread!

bcrawf
December 17th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Great game by NIU, which has much to be proud of.

I don't remember watching Northern Illinois Last Night :confused: :confused:

Reed Rothchild
December 17th, 2005, 08:36 PM
Congrats to App St!

crunifan
December 17th, 2005, 11:35 PM
After over 24 hours of driving in two days, I am finally back. And I must give props to Appalachian State. Congrats on the title!

Kill'em
December 18th, 2005, 12:37 AM
I don't remember watching Northern Illinois Last Night :confused: :confused:
Wasn't that pathetic?

Kill'em
December 18th, 2005, 12:39 AM
I forgot, against TXST we were referred to several times as Georgia State. I guess ESPN wasn't aware that Georgia State is a commuter school located in Atlanta. It is the second largest public university in the state and it doesn't field a football team.

Top-notch research from ESPN!

OL FU
December 18th, 2005, 11:24 AM
No fingers in my ears...but it took 37 posts before a FU fan offerred up their first congrats.

Some of us got a slow start on Saturday :D and some of us (me) expressed our support the previous week :hurray:

OL FU
December 18th, 2005, 11:28 AM
No what is annoying is that I can't say I find the guy offensive without drawing the wrath of all FU fans.

No ravens the problem is this is a thread to congratulate ASU. Not a thread to bash Lamb. I entered the thread to give that congratulations and then had to read your off the mark post. If you want to bash Lamb, start a new thread with that title and I can choose to read it or not.

Also, the straight forward answer to your question is that you can say you find Lamb offensive but you cannot expect to say it with out drawing the wrath of all FU Fans. If you want to do that write it in your diary.

ravens
December 18th, 2005, 03:09 PM
No ravens the problem is this is a thread to congratulate ASU. Not a thread to bash Lamb. I entered the thread to give that congratulations and then had to read your off the mark post. If you want to bash Lamb, start a new thread with that title and I can choose to read it or not.

Ok. I will put it on the smack board titled " lamb is a loser ". Now don't you read it. :)

D1B
December 18th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Congrats to App and all their fans. Great team and fine people. :)

(I'm very proud of UNI :) )

ravens
December 18th, 2005, 07:43 PM
(I'm very proud of UNI :) )

As well you should be...great season.

Chi Panther
December 18th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Congrats to ASU!

Their D-Line play was the difference in the game......AWESOME!!!

GO PANTHERS!!!