PDA

View Full Version : UNH vs. Umass 2010 Gillette??!!

smcwildcat
October 20th, 2009, 05:29 PM
rumor has 2010 game will be in foxboro that would be insanee
only downfall is unh loses home game

bkrownd
October 20th, 2009, 05:37 PM
That would suck. Football should be played on campus, not in some fake plastic NFL hole.

UNHFootballAlum
October 20th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Wow! That would be crazy. How many fans do you think that would show up for this?

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 20th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I've also heard this.

I think it could become an "event".

In a perfect world we'd all sell out huge stadiums, but this is NE. I'm up for anything that would raise the profile of this great rivalry in the region.

Mass-Cat09
October 20th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I think if they were able to get 25-30k it would be a success.

I bet it would be a big draw for students as they would see it as a way for two of the biggest party schools to get together and tailgate. xnonox

WrenFGun
October 20th, 2009, 05:58 PM
...wow.

UNHWildCats
October 20th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Would be great if they could do it on a Sunday and have the Patriots play the Sunday night game... separate admission obviously, but you might attract some of the all day Patriots tailgaters in for the college game

UMass922
October 20th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Wow, that would be something. UMass is already playing a game at the Big House next year; a game in Foxboro on top of that would make it a pretty eventful season. Can't wait to learn more about this . . .

Jackman
October 20th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Where is this rumor coming from? Hard to believe UNH would pay the money to rent Gillette if they won't even bid for playoff games. The only way it would be plausible to me is if the Krafts offered the stadium for free just to get people to come to their mega-mall.

UMass922
October 20th, 2009, 06:42 PM
I've also heard this.

I think it could become an "event".

In a perfect world we'd all sell out huge stadiums, but this is NE. I'm up for anything that would raise the profile of this great rivalry in the region.

To the extent that that's possible, yeah . . . but then, the average New Englander doesn't even care about the Harvard-Yale game. I'm not sure how much interest this will generate beyond fans of the two schools. It's worth trying, though, at least . . .

Jackman
October 20th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Let me say first that I don't believe this rumor is legit, but if we did in some fit of madness move the UMass-UNH football game to Gillette, it's got to be a double-header with outdoor hockey. That's a no-brainer.

UMass922
October 20th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Let me say first that I don't believe this rumor is legit, but if we did in some fit of madness move the UMass-UNH football game to Gillette, it's got to be a double-header with outdoor hockey. That's a no-brainer.

xnodx Now that would be an event.

UNHWildCats
October 20th, 2009, 06:52 PM
how exactly? cant exactly throw up a rink and make ice in an hour... or dismantle it and prepare for a football game.

Maybe a triple header for football.

UNH vs UMass

Northeastern vs Rhode Island

Maine vs Hofstra

Holy Cross vs Harvard

Amherst vs Williams

Any combination there to make three games on a Saturday.

12:00, 4:00, 8:00

xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupx

UNH Fanboi
October 20th, 2009, 06:54 PM
If the average UNH or UMass student is too lazy to watch this game in their backyard, why would they make the effort to drive out to Gillette and watch the same game at a bigger stadium?

UNHWildCats
October 20th, 2009, 06:56 PM
If the average UNH or UMass student is too lazy to watch this game in their backyard, why would they make the effort to drive out to Gillette and watch the same game at a bigger stadium?
agreed.. thats why there needs to be a twist... hence my Sunday afetrnoon idea before a sunday night Pats game... or a triple header.

UMass922
October 20th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Maybe a triple header for football.

That could be an interesting idea. I'm also wondering if, as part of making this an "event," there could be some sort of Jimmy Fund tie-in or something?

In any case, there has to be something that would make this a unique, special event . . . if it's just a UMass-UNH football that happens to be played in an NFL stadium, I don't think that's going to be enough to make people care.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 20th, 2009, 07:03 PM
A regional triple header would be cool

Jackman
October 20th, 2009, 07:04 PM
how exactly? cant exactly throw up a rink and make ice in an hour... or dismantle it and prepare for a football game.

Hockey would be first. Gillette's got that big hole in it, just break the rink in 4 pieces or so when the game's over and haul it out. Finish the dismantling outside.

Jackman
October 20th, 2009, 07:12 PM
agreed.. thats why there needs to be a twist... hence my Sunday afetrnoon idea before a sunday night Pats game... or a triple header.

Triple header? I'd say outdoor exhibition basketball, but it'd be unfair to confuse UNH's team like that when they're still learning the rules of the indoor game.

Winner of 2 out of 3 gets a shiny trophy though.

Dane96
October 20th, 2009, 07:18 PM
I takes about 4-6 hours to break down a rink-- I actually watched this (while chowing on some sick food) in MSG about 10 years ago.

With the piping necessary at the outdoor version...you can forget that. Would take probably a good half-day.

Now the triple header could possible get 50k fans....but I see no more than 20k for this game as a stand alone. Gotta remember, Foxborough is a solid 1:45 minute drive to UNH...without traffic. Can't see too many students making a day/night of it from Durham.

From Amherst...no clue how long that takes (do you cut down through 495?).

LacesOut
October 20th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Love the idea!

Just don't see it happening.

Husky Alum
October 20th, 2009, 07:54 PM
NU played UMass at Foxboro in 1991 or 1992.

I think the crowd was 5,000 or so (the game was played in the rain).

I haven't heard anything about this, but it wouldn't surprise me if UNH and UMass pulled it off

NU's tried to get a game at Fenway with UMass (or UNH) for about 8-9 years but we were told that the only way we'd play the game is if we put up the cash for a new field at Fenway if the ticket sales wouldn't cover the costs for the Sox to re-sod the field.

NU figured if the game would be played (like college hockey at Fenway) it would sell 25-30K tickets out of sheer curiosity, and someone would want to broadcast the game (NESN or one of the cable outlets).

The other caveat was if it rained, the Sox had the right to postpone the game so the "underfield" wouldn't be irreparably damaged.

The proposed field would run from the visitor's dugout to the bullpens in right.

Jackman
October 20th, 2009, 07:56 PM
I takes about 4-6 hours to break down a rink-- I actually watched this (while chowing on some sick food) in MSG about 10 years ago.

At the Mullins Center we've done it in an hour with extra volunteers and the pressure of a deadline. Normally it takes longer because events aren't scheduled on the same day and there's no need to rush.

Admittedly I don't have the slightest idea what goes into setting up an outdoor rink, but this would be a temporary fixture, not something that needs to be treated delicately. Just send the marching bands out there with chainsaws, they'll take care of it.

This is all fantasy anyway.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 20th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Where is this rumor coming from? Hard to believe UNH would pay the money to rent Gillette if they won't even bid for playoff games. The only way it would be plausible to me is if the Krafts offered the stadium for free just to get people to come to their mega-mall.

UNH does bid for playoff games. They either get outbid or the NCAA chooses the other school. Every rumor I heard was that UNH put in an aggressive bid for the SIU game last year. The crowd in Carbondale was not as large was what UNH would have had (based on 2005). The game was played in Carbondale. If UNH had won at UNI, there was speculation that UNH would outbid Richmond. Again based on attendance, there was every reason to believe UNH could have outbid Richmond. ESPN wants nothing to do with Cowell Stadium so unless forced to (seed guaranteeing a home game) the NCAA will find a reason to select the other school. Those of us in Cedar Falls last year heard before kickoff that if there was a game vs. the Spiders it would be in Richmond.

Back to the Gillette discussion....... :p

xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx

Husky Alum
October 20th, 2009, 08:08 PM
At the Mullins Center we've done it in an hour with extra volunteers and the pressure of a deadline. Normally it takes longer because events aren't scheduled on the same day and there's no need to rush.

Admittedly I don't have the slightest idea what goes into setting up an outdoor rink, but this would be a temporary fixture, not something that needs to be treated delicately. Just send the marching bands out there with chainsaws, they'll take care of it.

At NU, the conversion from hockey to hoops can be done in about an hour - as Jackman says, under pressure of a deadline, and if they didn't take down all of the hockey glass for the first game. The bull gang at NU has it down to a science.

I don't think that the NHL would do a hockey game at Gillette so soon after doing
one at Fenway.

College hockey at Gillette would be a non-starter.

A college FB double header could be fun. NU-URI and UNH-UMass, or some combination thereof.

However, NU fans likely won't go, so unless Kraft is going to rent it for next to nothing as a token of goodwill, I can't see it making money.

Dane96
October 20th, 2009, 08:10 PM

The Mullins Center is different. MSG, for pro games...has more requirements, I kid you not (temperature settings everything...there was a Post article years ago on this). Outdoor field-- you have mucho piping to get water to the rink...there is no way this can happen in short-order without damage to the field.

That said, if they pull off either game, I am there.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 20th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Size wise, Fenway would make a lot more sense, but for all the details Husky Alum mentioned, it just wouldn't be feasible unless the game was well into November (eliminating any conflict with MLB Playoffs/World Series).

Too bad the Silber Rat Dogs no longer field a team, a game with the Huntington Hounds would be a good addition and help attendance!!! Husky Alum, who would be the most attractive opponent for NU if they were to participate? Do you guys have a home game with the Blue Hens in 2010? They'd bring some folks to the game!

Dane96
October 20th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Think about the tailgate possibilities-- UNH_Alum brings the microbrews.....

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 20th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Think about the tailgate possibilities-- UNH_Alum brings the microbrews.....

Drinking a Flying Fish Octoberfish right now.........Outstanding!!!!! xnodx :D

Tailgate brew so far this season:

Sam Adams Octoberfest (MA)
Harpoon Octoberfest (either MA or VT)
Thomas Hooker Octoberfest (CT)
Berkshire Brewing Company Octoberfest (MA)
Flying Fish Octoberfish (NJ)
Leinenkuegel Octoberfest (WI)

The Brats at Towson were pretty good too! ;)

Back to Gillette discussion.................. :p :p :p

Husky Alum
October 21st, 2009, 01:08 PM
Drinking a Flying Fish Octoberfish right now.........Outstanding!!!!! xnodx :D

Yeah, but when W&M cam to Parsons, we did a New England Clambake (lobsters and steamers), and had fresh made italian hot and sweet sausages with peppers and onions, among other edibles.

The Lobsters we steamed were swimming in the ocean earlier that morning - I picked them up off of the boat.

If NU were to play at Fenway, logical opponents (for attendance reasons) would probably be:

UMass
UNH
Harvard
Holy Cross

Honestly, I think you'd draw 20,000 fans if we played Campbell (no offense to the Camels, I tried to pick an obscure school) just for people to see football in Fenway.

CollegeSportsInfo
October 21st, 2009, 01:18 PM
That would suck. Football should be played on campus, not in some fake plastic NFL hole.

For Umass vs UNH, I agree.

If Foxboro wants a game, it should be only one: Umass vs Boston College

NHwildEcat
October 21st, 2009, 01:21 PM
What if they did some doubleheader...where the other game featured BC vs. whoever else is on their schedule?

rcny46
October 21st, 2009, 01:27 PM
[QUOTE=Husky Alum;1441391]Yeah, but when W&M cam to Parsons, we did a New England Clambake (lobsters and steamers), and had fresh made italian hot and sweet sausages with peppers and onions, among other edibles.

The Lobsters we steamed were swimming in the ocean earlier that morning - I picked them up off of the boat.

If NU were to play at Fenway, logical opponents (for attendance reasons) would probably be:

UMass
UNH
Harvard
Holy Cross

Honestly, I think you'd draw 20,000 fans if we played Campbell (no offense to the Camels, I tried to pick an obscure school) just for people to see football in Fenway.[/QUOT

They'd also get to see The Huskies win a football game! xsmiley_wix

NHwildEcat
October 21st, 2009, 01:29 PM
Does anyone have any facts to back up said rumor?

rcny46
October 21st, 2009, 01:30 PM
Yeah, but when W&M cam to Parsons, we did a New England Clambake (lobsters and steamers), and had fresh made italian hot and sweet sausages with peppers and onions, among other edibles.

UMass
UNH
Harvard
Holy Cross

Honestly, I think you'd draw 20,000 fans if we played Campbell (no offense to the Camels, I tried to pick an obscure school) just for people to see football in Fenway.

They'd also get to watch The Huskies win a football game! xsmiley_wix

Husky Alum
October 21st, 2009, 02:05 PM
They'd also get to watch The Huskies win a football game! xsmiley_wix

You obviously haven't seen us play yet.

We're thinking of scheduling Smith and/or Mt. Holyoke to get a win.

Dane96
October 21st, 2009, 02:29 PM
I've seen some of those men...I mean...errr...women from Smith and Holyoke; I dont think NU has a shot.

Try Nantucket High. ;)

bostonspider
October 21st, 2009, 03:04 PM
BC versus UConn would be a good double header to have with UNH - UMass...

bkrownd
October 21st, 2009, 03:42 PM

When I lived in Amherst going anywhere near Boston was something one avoided if at all possible. Nobody's travelling from Amherst to the other end of the state for a football game, unless it's in Harvard's stadium which you can get to on the Red Line from Alewife. Don't even have a clue where Foxboro is...

EmeryZach
October 21st, 2009, 04:37 PM
Can anyone say where this rumor came from? I am assuming someone here knows someone at the UNH Athletic Department and has heard something.

It's not a horrible idea. Here is the thing though, you need to get the game on Versus and both teams need to be having good seasons.

And in regards to UMass students not showing up. UMass students tend to be odd about what they attend. Anything that is thought of as a huge event, like a hockey game verse a top ranked team, or the NIT Finals in NYC, etc etc, the UMass students tend to turn out in droves. I think UMass could get at least 6,000 students to go to this one, with the tailgate possibilities and it being a "cool" game to attend. If a game is not thought of as "cool" to attend, then UMass students won't show. That won't be a problem if the game is played at Gillette.

UNHFan99
October 21st, 2009, 05:04 PM
I think more alumni will go than students. I know alot of people that love going to UNH football games but dont like the setup of the traffic and stadium. I think this game would get 30k. This is based on the parking and tailgaiting possibilities.

Plus most of the alumni for both schools now live in Boston.

UMass922
October 21st, 2009, 05:12 PM

UConn and BC are not going to be scheduling each other anytime soon. There are still cold feelings stemming from BC's departure for the ACC.

http://blogs.courant.com/uconn_football/2009/06/can-uconn-and-bc-hook-up-again.html

KiddBrewer
October 21st, 2009, 06:00 PM
i think it sounds like a pretty solid idea for these two teams....if they could get a pretty good crowd in there, it could do a lot for recognition in the sports-hungry/always successful sports region that is New England. I've wanted App to play in Bank of America Stadium at some point, but I dont see it happening for a long time. But games in NFL Stadiums, though not the same feel as a college campus, can still be very fun, and even more important for programs in some ways

DrG
October 21st, 2009, 09:23 PM
The sports-hungry/always successful sports region that is New England is totally pro-oriented. BC has a niche following and would draw well vs. ND in Gillette, but they're committed to staying on campus, and I can't see FCS teams, even the state university, attracting much of a crowd there.

Jackman
October 21st, 2009, 10:15 PM
I wouldn't expect a gigantic crowd for a UMass-UNH game, but it'd at least be competitive with a New England Revolution game. And obviously from UMass's perspective it's an away game for us either way, so we'd support moving it to a neutral (probably mostly friendly) venue. The question is why would UNH want to do this? What's in it for them? I wouldn't support this move if it was UMass losing a home game. I think the crowd size at Gillette would be about the same as what we get at McGuirk on a nice day.

NHwildEcat
October 21st, 2009, 11:18 PM
When I lived in Amherst going anywhere near Boston was something one avoided if at all possible. Nobody's travelling from Amherst to the other end of the state for a football game, unless it's in Harvard's stadium which you can get to on the Red Line from Alewife. Don't even have a clue where Foxboro is...

Foxboro is more towards Providence...farther from Boston then advertised.

Jackman
October 21st, 2009, 11:46 PM

Foxboro is a shorter trip than Boston, and a lot shorter trip than Durham, NH, which is the only other place where this game would be played. We should be promising them crowds of 50,000 UMass fans so long as we don't actually have to pay for any of this.

UNHFootballAlum
October 22nd, 2009, 01:21 AM
I wouldn't expect a gigantic crowd for a UMass-UNH game, but it'd at least be competitive with a New England Revolution game. And obviously from UMass's perspective it's an away game for us either way, so we'd support moving it to a neutral (probably mostly friendly) venue. The question is why would UNH want to do this? What's in it for them? I wouldn't support this move if it was UMass losing a home game. I think the crowd size at Gillette would be about the same as what we get at McGuirk on a nice day.

A game at a high profile venue like Gillette would be very good for recruiting in the short term and long term for both teams. It raises the profile of the teams to those protential recruits to see this game being played at a big pro stadium. I guarantee that there will be quite a few recruits at this game. That in itself is worth moving the game.

Lets see... recruits at Cowell stadium or Gillette? You make the call

Wildcat80
October 22nd, 2009, 03:11 AM
Not being a marketing type I cannot see why any type doubleheader would draw more fans.....who would spend 7+ hours at two such games? Not me. IF UNH can benefit alot financially from the game then I can be in favor. Otherwise it would be a burden on all UNH fans--travel, cost, etc. Cowell is not fancy but it is our HOME. I'd say let UMass move their game--maybe we'd play them better then. Now a BC or UConn game in Gillette...now you're talking!!! Go Cats---Beat Hofstra!

UNHFan99
October 22nd, 2009, 05:31 AM
If UNH gets to keep the gatemoney of potentially 30,000 fans this is a great idea.

EmeryZach
October 22nd, 2009, 07:41 AM
30,000 might be pushing it. That would be awesome, but I doubt they could get that many there.

Dane96
October 22nd, 2009, 08:11 AM
Foxboro is a shorter trip than Boston, and a lot shorter trip than Durham, NH, which is the only other place where this game would be played. We should be promising them crowds of 50,000 UMass fans so long as we don't actually have to pay for any of this.

Foxborough is nearly the exact same distance and drive from Amherst as is to Boston.

And where do you think you're getting 50,000 fans from?

WSBE
October 22nd, 2009, 08:26 AM
Can anyone say where this rumor came from? I am assuming someone here knows someone at the UNH Athletic Department and has heard something.

It's not a horrible idea. Here is the thing though, you need to get the game on Versus and both teams need to be having good seasons.

And in regards to UMass students not showing up. UMass students tend to be odd about what they attend. Anything that is thought of as a huge event, like a hockey game verse a top ranked team, or the NIT Finals in NYC, etc etc, the UMass students tend to turn out in droves. I think UMass could get at least 6,000 students to go to this one, with the tailgate possibilities and it being a "cool" game to attend. If a game is not thought of as "cool" to attend, then UMass students won't show. That won't be a problem if the game is played at Gillette.

I love the idea...but I wonder how cheap the ticket would be. I have friends (average fans) who wouldn't make the trip for a $30 ticket....& don't forget students get in free to games in Durham. As for the original rumor - it came from smwildcat who if I'm not mistaken, "gauranteed" Chad Kackert would come back from injury & play last year (against W&M) I think....& Kackert never touched the field. smwildcat - where did you hear this?

Kosty
October 22nd, 2009, 02:31 PM
BC has a niche following and would draw well vs. ND in Gillette, but they're committed to staying on campus

According to the Glob this AM, they ain't committed to each other after this or next year's game. ND can't keep scheduling a team that actually wins from time to time and has the gall to tie their all time series 9-9!!

Old Cage
October 22nd, 2009, 08:27 PM
Dane96 - Maybe remedial geography is in order.

Boston to Foxboro - 32 miles
Amherst to Foxboro - 93 miles

xoopsx

Maroon&White
October 22nd, 2009, 08:40 PM

xoopsx

Amherst to Boston - 95 miles

xoopsx

EmeryZach
October 22nd, 2009, 08:57 PM
Glen Rock NJ to Foxboro - 219 miles.

I win.

OxSoxUNH05
October 22nd, 2009, 09:57 PM
Durham to Boston - 70 miles

And UNH is the hick schoolxconfusedxxrolleyesx

Maroon&White
October 22nd, 2009, 10:09 PM
Durham to Boston - 70 miles

And UNH is the hick schoolxconfusedxxrolleyesx

Why would the distance to Boston matter?

Jackman
October 22nd, 2009, 10:12 PM
Distance from Durham to New Hampshire - 0 miles.

EDIT: Distance from Durham to Maine - 5 miles. (May as well get the Maine fans involved in this.)

Dane96
October 22nd, 2009, 10:30 PM
Amherst to Boston - 95 miles

xoopsx

thank you.

Dane96
October 22nd, 2009, 10:41 PM

xoopsx

Nah...I am quite fine. You were put in place by Maroon.

Jack said Foxborough was shorter from Amherest than a trip from Amherst to Boston.

Lay off the pipe.

Jackman
October 22nd, 2009, 10:46 PM
Danefan, that comment was directed more towards Boston-phobic western Mass fans. You never touch the city or urban sprawl getting from western Mass to Foxboro. It's a slightly shorter trip in miles, but more so in time and aggravation as you never have to deal with Boston traffic.

And I never said 50,000 UMass fans would show up. I said we should say that 50,000 UMass fans would show up, if it will help convince UNH to give up their home game.

OxSoxUNH05
October 23rd, 2009, 05:28 AM
Distance from Durham to New Hampshire - 0 miles.

EDIT: Distance from Durham to Maine - 5 miles. (May as well get the Maine fans involved in this.)

Ah yes, and Western Mass is shining example of the Metropolitan lifestyle

NHwildEcat
October 23rd, 2009, 05:54 AM
I think we all know which state is a better place to live anyways...pretty clear!

WrenFGun
October 23rd, 2009, 09:17 AM
...as a MA resident and a UNH alum, I'd much rather be in MA.

Heh, and Salem, NH? That's basically MA anyway. :)

NHwildEcat
October 23rd, 2009, 09:34 AM
...as a MA resident and a UNH alum, I'd much rather be in MA.

Heh, and Salem, NH? That's basically MA anyway. :)

You're right I do basically live in MA now. And more than likely I will have to move into MA in the future for work...I am a realist and I get that (if only NH could pay people better). But I was born and raised in the seacoast (went to HS about 10 mins from Durham) and I have a lot of pride for this state. I love it...even if it is in a downward spiral right now.

I do end up spending a good amount of time in Boston though...so I am kind of warming up to the state of MA. Just need to get rid of most of the people. :D

Sam Adams
October 23rd, 2009, 12:20 PM
What would be the point of playing at Gillette?

EmeryZach
October 23rd, 2009, 12:30 PM

Sam, go back in this thread and see what people said. There are many good reasons.

But #1 would have to be that it would be flat out fun to see the game there.

Husky Alum
October 23rd, 2009, 12:30 PM

Perhaps drumming up some interest in the game.

Using a venue (relatively fixed cost) to potentially generate more revenue. Not sure what the variable costs are to open Gillette for a game, but I've got to think if you sold 20K tickets, you'd probably make some money on the deal.

There's also been talk that the Pats have been thinking of trying to get a Bowl Game in New England.

With the Yankees planning on having the Gotham Bowl (or whatever they're going to call it), if there's modest success in a cold weather/outdoor bowl, perhaps the Patriots decide to do something with the tourism boards of Boston and Providence for a Bowl game at Gillette.

However, I can't see the logistics of that working. Fans from Missouri (for example) aren't going to fly to Boston, rent a car, and drive to Gillette for a game.

If the Sox were smart, they'd do a Bowl game at Fenway. Intimate setting, novelty/nostalgia, etc.

UNHFan
October 23rd, 2009, 01:34 PM
It's a waste of seats. We had a beautiful day last week in Amherst and the game only drew 13K I live in NH and I am telling you I don't know a single other UNH Football fan in my area. Doesn't mean they aren't here in my area. I don't live in the sticks either (Hampstead). Walking into the many Bars and its all about NASCAR then the Pats then the Sox A little BC and UNH doesn't exist. Period! Hockey is another story. People in NE are just not into supporting College ball its a fact! All I hear is "You didn't go to UNH.. so why do you root for them?" Though its gotten a lot better in the last 10-15 years don't get me wrong. Just find its a waste. Wanna make it a neutral site Play at Holy Cross its one of the best 1-AA stadiums in the country. OK all the little NE cry baby overly sensitive people let me have it! LOL And I am going to bed tonight and pray coach Mac has a moment of enlightenment and starts Decker tomorrow. Its the perfect game to do it in also. Please coach!

Sader87
October 23rd, 2009, 04:19 PM
Just for the record, the EMass HS Super Bowl games are now played at Gillette...6 games...great day of football.

I'm told from my Dad and others, that Fenway (Pats, BC, HC etc. played many games there back in the day) was a poor venue to actually watch the game. I think both teams were put on the same sideline for "viewing purposes" and in general the seats were too far back.

Big Dawg
October 23rd, 2009, 04:35 PM
So a potential "Classic" match-up...interesting

EmeryZach
October 23rd, 2009, 04:58 PM
So a potential "Classic" match-up...interesting

Yeah, but can you guys send your band up here to play the halftime show? xpeacex

Big Dawg
October 23rd, 2009, 05:23 PM
Yeah, but can you guys send your band up here to play the halftime show? xpeacex

xlolx...you're on your own

UNHFan
October 23rd, 2009, 07:26 PM

Now this is a great Idea!! Great job makes very good sense!

EmeryZach
October 23rd, 2009, 09:08 PM
xlolx...you're on your own

What if there is monetary compensation involved? xsmiley_wix

UMass922
October 23rd, 2009, 09:15 PM
Now this is a great Idea!! Great job makes very good sense!

I already mentioned this in another comment, but to reiterate: BC and UConn are not going to be scheduling a game with each other anytime in the near future. It would be nice in theory, but as the two schools are not on good terms due to BC's departure for the ACC, a BC-UConn football game is simply not going to happen for a long time, whether in Foxboro or anywhere else.

UMass922
October 23rd, 2009, 09:28 PM

We already have the Power & Class. We don't need to call for backup. xeyebrowx

That said, I've always thought an OOC game against FAMU would be a great idea. You'd have a rematch of the first I-AA championship game, two teams with I-AA titles (granted, it took us 20 years after losing to the Rattlers in '78 to win ours), two Sudler Trophy-winning bands--and in general it would just be a great break from our usual OOC games against Patriot and NEC teams.

And I don't know how many FAMU fans would be willing to come up to New England to play a Classic, but it would certainly be more than the number of UMass fans that would make the trip to Tallahassee. So we might as well play it in Foxboro. xthumbsupx

Jackman
October 23rd, 2009, 09:44 PM
I already mentioned this in another comment, but to reiterate: BC and UConn are not going to be scheduling a game with each other anytime in the near future. It would be nice in theory, but as the two schools are not on good terms due to BC's departure for the ACC, a BC-UConn football is simply not going to happen for a long time, whether in Foxboro or anywhere else.

And if it did happen, they'd have no interest in sharing the stage with us. We should be glad they don't play, it helps hold down their relevance in New England. Last thing I want to see is the media full of BC/UConn talk. I thought UNH fans got enough of that when ESPN did their "feature" on northern New England football.

Anyway, with Northeastern and URI being so terrible, probably the only viable football double-header would be with Harvard and Holy Cross. I'd still rather find a way to do UMass-UNH hockey. It's not like we can do this Beanpot style. Wait, or can we? We could do it two weeks in a row, with the losers playing a consolation game. But it would be awkward to leave out Northeastern.

EmeryZach
October 23rd, 2009, 09:51 PM
We already have the Power & Class. We don't need to call for backup. xeyebrowx

That said, I've always thought an OOC game against FAMU would be a great idea. You'd have a rematch of the first I-AA championship game, two teams with I-AA titles (granted, it took us 20 years after losing to the Rattlers in '78 to win ours), two Sudler Trophy-winning bands--and in general it would just be a great break from our usual OOC games against Patriot and NEC teams.

And I don't know how many FAMU fans would be willing to come up to New England to play a Classic, but it would certainly be more than the number of UMass fans that would make the trip to Tallahassee. So we might as well play it in Foxboro. xthumbsupx

The Power and Class is good an all but they aren't as fun as the FAMU band. The UMass band can be pretty boring at times. I would be in favor of paying FAMU to send there band up for halftime.

Sam Adams
October 24th, 2009, 01:36 AM
I've read this thread and I still don't see any reason for UNH / Massachusetts to play at the razor. Will there suddenly be 30K who show up for the game? Not sure why anybody would think so. Play the game in Amherst and you will draw 12-15K. Play the game in Durham and you get 7500. Play the game in Foxboro and you might get 15K. Again not sure what the point would be.

Sader87
October 24th, 2009, 09:55 AM
It makes some sense...the vast majority of both UMass and UNH alums probably live closer to Foxboro than they do to either Amherst or Durham. I could see a crowd of 30,000+ if marketed well, both teams having good seasons etc.

UNHFan
October 24th, 2009, 12:46 PM
And if it did happen, they'd have no interest in sharing the stage with us. We should be glad they don't play, it helps hold down their relevance in New England. Last thing I want to see is the media full of BC/UConn talk. I thought UNH fans got enough of that when ESPN did their "feature" on northern New England football.

Anyway, with Northeastern and URI being so terrible, probably the only viable football double-header would be with Harvard and Holy Cross. I'd still rather find a way to do UMass-UNH hockey. It's not like we can do this Beanpot style. Wait, or can we? We could do it two weeks in a row, with the losers playing a consolation game. But it would be awkward to leave out Northeastern.

Now you guys are on to something!! What a great Idea!! Think BC would be a good spot? That would be awesome! 12AM UNH/Umass Hockey 3:30 Football BC is perfect for that!!