PDA

View Full Version : Richmond / W & M / Nova

nmatsen
October 20th, 2009, 09:33 AM
At the end of the year it is inevitable that either Richmond will lose two more games and Villanova and Bill and Mary run the table, or either 2 of the 3 between Richmond / Bill and Mary / Villanova will lose at least one more game.

Obviously if Richmond loses to both Bill and Mary and Nova they drop out of the top 5.

What happens to the 3 CAA teams in the top five if 2 of them lose one game the rest of the way out? Do 2 of the 3 CAA teams drop from the top 5? If Nova and W & M both lose to Richmond and that’s it, do they drop from the top 5?

If Richmond loses to W & M do they drop from the top 5?

If Richmond loses to Nova, do they drop from the top 5?

What are people’s thoughts?

Dukie95
October 20th, 2009, 09:39 AM

The CAA's going to win the title. ;)

Last year, we had the same thing with JMU, Nova and UR. JMU didn't lose any and UR lost 2....and look who won in the end.

WrenFGun
October 20th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Considering UNH is playing W&M later in the year (and beat 'Nova, who beat W&M soundly), I don't think it's any foregone conclusion that W&M would win out if they beat UR.

That said, I don't expect UR to lose this season.

andy7171
October 20th, 2009, 09:49 AM
It doesn't matter where they end up ranked, as long as they make the post season, it'll work its way out.

tribe_pride
October 20th, 2009, 09:51 AM
If Richmond only has 1 loss and its against either W&M or Nova, they'll probably be in the top 5 at the end of the year. This means they will have won at an FBS, versus a top 10 program, at another top 15-20 program and home versus another top 20 program and only lost to a top 5-10 program. That is 4 quality wins and 1 not so bad loss.

And yes, if W&M or Nova lose to Richmond only from now on, they are out of the top 5 but most likely still in the top 10. A 3rd loss would probably push them to top 15 status (vs. UNH for W&M and vs. Delaware for Nova)

ur2k
October 20th, 2009, 09:53 AM
It doesn't matter where they end up ranked, as long as they make the post season, it'll work its way out.

Exactly. However it shakes out - UR needs 2 more wins this season out of the 5 games remaining to get to 8 wins and a playoff bid.

We have remaining

UMASS
@ Towson
Nova
@ Georgetown
W&M

JMUNJ08
October 20th, 2009, 09:56 AM
The CAA's going to win the title. ;)

I would put money on that. I'll take whatever the CAA brings to the playoffs vs the rest of the FCS.xthumbsupx

Dukie95
October 20th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Yeah, in a choice between the CAA and the field, I'm taking the CAA.

Oldhen
October 20th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Considering UNH is playing W&M later in the year (and beat 'Nova, who beat W&M soundly), I don't think it's any foregone conclusion that W&M would win out if they beat UR.

You watch that game?

Score was VERY deceiving. 'Nova won, no doubt. If you watched the game, you might have had a different opinion about who the better team was... apart from the score.

tribe_pride
October 20th, 2009, 10:21 AM
You watch that game?

Score was VERY deceiving. 'Nova won, no doubt. If you watched the game, you might have had a different opinion about who the better team was... apart from the score.

Agreed with what you said to a degree. Nova made no mistakes and capitalized on the Tribe's mistakes. Game was definitely closer than the score indicates but we have had trouble finishing off long drives all season so we better learn how before the last couple of games.

That said Wren is right that we still need to get by UNH before we play Richmond. Hopefully we can beat JMU, Towson and URI and get our 8 wins so we don't need to count on the tough last 2 games to get a needed win.

Hoyadestroya85
October 20th, 2009, 10:48 AM
My question is, what happens if UNH, Villanova and UR all finish the season with one loss?

Think about this:
- All three teams have an FBS win
- The only losses for each team were to top 25 teams (for this scenario to work, Villanova would have to beat Richmond.)

If all of these teams finish the season with one loss, does the CAA deserve three seeds? I think there is no way that you can justify not giving the CAA three seeds in that case.

CAAisBOSS
October 20th, 2009, 10:53 AM

Using your logic... WM beat Delaware easily. Delaware beat UMASS easily. Umass beat UNH. WM should beat UNH by 30. xcoolx

molly
October 20th, 2009, 11:05 AM
My question is, what happens if UNH, Villanova and UR all finish the season with one loss?

Think about this:
- The only losses for each team were to top 25 teams (for this scenario to work, Villanova would have to beat Richmond.)

If all of these teams finish the season with one loss, does the CAA deserve three seeds? I think there is no way that you can justify not giving the CAA three seeds in that case.

You could substitute W&M for UNH in that scenario as well. I think it's very unlikely that the CAA would get 3 seeds in either case, but it would depend on what Montana and SIU do the rest of the season.

UNH Fanboi
October 20th, 2009, 11:06 AM

Think about this:

Depends on what happens in the rest of FCS. If Montana, SIU and UNI win out, then I can pretty much guarantee the CAA will not get three seeds, and there's a decent chance they'll only get one.

MacThor
October 20th, 2009, 11:11 AM

Think about this:

It can't happen. W&M and 'Nova already have a loss, and neither has played Richmond. So someone will wind up with at least two.

UNHFootballAlum
October 20th, 2009, 11:12 AM

Think about this:

If your scenario holds true than Villanova and UNH would each have 2 wins versus top 5 teams plus each has an FBS win. Villanova ( W&M, Richmond), UNH (Villanova, W&M). That should give those two seeds. Richmond may be the odd team out in this case with 3 wins over top 15 teams and an FBS win ( UMASS, W&M - they would have dropped after loss to UNH, & JMU) Delaware wasn't a top 15 at the time they played Richmond

WrenFGun
October 20th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Using your logic... WM beat Delaware easily. Delaware beat UMASS easily. Umass beat UNH. WM should beat UNH by 30. xcoolx

I didn't say it was SOUND logic. :)

Hoyadestroya85
October 20th, 2009, 11:44 AM
If your scenario holds true than Villanova and UNH would each have 2 wins versus top 5 teams plus each has an FBS win. Villanova ( W&M, Richmond), UNH (Villanova, W&M). That should give those two seeds. Richmond may be the odd team out in this case with 3 wins over top 15 teams and an FBS win ( UMASS, W&M - they would have dropped after loss to UNH, & JMU) Delaware wasn't a top 15 at the time they played Richmond

I think it would be a travesty if the CAA only got one seed.. at this point, a two loss CAA team is worthy of a seed.

nmatsen
October 20th, 2009, 11:45 AM
If Richmond loses to Villanova it will be late in the season and they will be left out in the cold come seeding time. There is no way you lose one of your last two games against an FCS team and get a seed. Un-fortunately it is in these scenarios that pre-season rankings and when you lose your games that count.

UNH Fanboi
October 20th, 2009, 12:06 PM

On the other hand, UNH would have a worse loss than Richmond. Also, Richmond won the championship last year and will have spent the majority of the year as the near unanimous #1 in the polls. That shouldn't matter, but it holds a lot of power psychologically and I think Richmond is a lock for a seed over UNH with 1 loss unless that loss comes to Towson or something.

The dream scenario would be:
Richmond loses to UMass and Villanova or W&M and Villanova
Villanova wins out
UNH wins out

UNH would win the CAA by the h2h tiebreaker over either W&M or Villlanova, and pretty much be a lock for at least a 2 or 3 seed and a #1 seed if Montana and SIU lose.

But really we shouldn't even be thinking about this stuff yet because there will almost definitely be some weird things that happen and just make it impossible to objectively rank the CAA teams against each other.

Things were much too easy last year when JMU beat everyone, and Nova beat everyone but JMU, and Richmond beat everyone but JMU and Nova. We're already seeing that with the UNH, Nova, W&M triangle.

Black Saturday
October 20th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Yeah, in a choice between the CAA and the field, I'm taking the CAA.

Not a bad choice when the CAA will have 6 teams in the field this year.xeekx

MacThor
October 20th, 2009, 12:29 PM
I think it would be a travesty if the CAA only got one seed.. at this point, a two loss CAA team is worthy of a seed.

Ain't gonna happen. I think the committee gets so much heat for the large number of CAA at-larges, they go out of their way to deny them seeds. Last year JMU #1 was obvious, but Villanova had a legit argument for a 4 seed and got rewarded with a placement in JMU's quarter. Two years ago after the infamous coin flip, neither of the CAA co-champions got seeds. In both seasons, the CAA put two in the semis and one in the NC.

Personally, I (and Mike London & the Spiders) don't care much about seeds (see Boone, NC, Cedar Falls, IA & Chattanooga, TN for details). However, it would be cool for the final game at UR Stadium to be a National Semifinal. :)

UNH Fanboi
October 20th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Ain't gonna happen. I think the committee gets so much heat for the large number of CAA at-larges, they go out of their way to deny them seeds. Last year JMU #1 was obvious, but Villanova had a legit argument for a 4 seed and got rewarded with a placement in JMU's quarter. Two years ago after the infamous coin flip, neither of the CAA co-champions got seeds. In both seasons, the CAA put two in the semis and one in the NC.

Personally, I (and Mike London & the Spiders) don't care much about seeds (see Boone, NC, Cedar Falls, IA & Chattanooga, TN for details). However, it would be cool for the final game at UR Stadium to be a National Semifinal. :)

Nova got hosed last year no doubt

Native
October 20th, 2009, 12:43 PM
At the end of the year it is inevitable that either Richmond will lose two more games and Villanova and Bill and Mary run the table, or either 2 of the 3 between Richmond / Bill and Mary / Villanova will lose at least one more game.

Obviously if Richmond loses to both Bill and Mary and Nova they drop out of the top 5.

What happens to the 3 CAA teams in the top five if 2 of them lose one game the rest of the way out? Do 2 of the 3 CAA teams drop from the top 5? If Nova and W & M both lose to Richmond and that’s it, do they drop from the top 5?

If Richmond loses to W & M do they drop from the top 5?

If Richmond loses to Nova, do they drop from the top 5?

It depends! Will there be five teams worthy of moving ahead of either W&M or 'Nova?

Sometimes posters ask these kinds of questions and make these kinds of arguments as if no other teams existed.

UNHFootballAlum
October 20th, 2009, 12:47 PM

I was saying that in your scenario that UNH and Villanova should get seeds and Richmond may not

jmufan999
October 20th, 2009, 02:47 PM
my opinion: Nova is a better team than Richmond. haven't seen W&M yet.

spiders fans, before you get mad... your team is EXCELLENT. battle tested, playoff experience.... along with talent, great coaching, and a clutch QB. this is not saying you're not a good/great team. and it's possible you were just playing down to our level (JMU)...

but Nova was absolutely LIGHTS OUT. it was a noticeable difference, especially the speed differential in the offensive skill positions (and QB for that matter, since Nova's QB's run far, far more than Ward does [on designed runs] ). now i'm sure one of you will pull out your #2's 40 time from HS or something, which means jack.

my opinion is that Nova is a slightly better team.... right now. either team could ABSOLUTELY win it all.

that said, i'm rooting for W&M to win it all. kind of an underdog thing, small school who has never won it before. and my brother went there.

edit: i also haven't seen UNH but they must be good if they beat Nova. i can only assume they'll be (national) title contenders based on their record and win over UR. does UR play UNH this year? i could look it up but don't feel like it.

UNH Fanboi
October 20th, 2009, 03:05 PM
edit: i also haven't seen UNH but they must be good if they beat Nova. i can only assume they'll be (national) title contenders based on their record and win over UR. does UR play UNH this year? i could look it up but don't feel like it.

No, Richmond doesn't play UNH

Eight Legger
October 20th, 2009, 03:09 PM
My brain hurts. xeyebrowx

I can't speak for other Spiders fans, but I would be very surprised -- possibly shocked -- if we run the table this year. I really feel we will lose at least one game -- not because we aren't a great team, but because we still play two great teams and one pretty darn good one. Granted they are all at home, but it would take quite an effort to win them all.

That said, I don't care if we do lose one or two. The benefit of losing only one is we will still be seeded at 10-1. A 9-2 record would make that less likely, but we'd probably still have one or two home games.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 20th, 2009, 03:35 PM
If Richmond loses to Villanova it will be late in the season and they will be left out in the cold come seeding time. There is no way you lose one of your last two games against an FCS team and get a seed. Un-fortunately it is in these scenarios that pre-season rankings and when you lose your games that count.

Wanna bet?

GannonFan
October 20th, 2009, 04:04 PM
I think the committee has shown that they are willing to give the CAA multiple bids, but they have often shown that they will be stingy with the seedings and will send the CAA on the road early and often. However, the CAA has tons of road playoff victories over the past few years, so that has not proven to be a detriment. I don't see why this year will be any different - the CAA will get lots of bids, and will play and win lots of games on the road.

MacThor
October 20th, 2009, 09:12 PM
my opinion: Nova is a better team than Richmond. haven't seen W&M yet.

spiders fans, before you get mad... your team is EXCELLENT. battle tested, playoff experience.... along with talent, great coaching, and a clutch QB. this is not saying you're not a good/great team. and it's possible you were just playing down to our level (JMU)...

but Nova was absolutely LIGHTS OUT. it was a noticeable difference, especially the speed differential in the offensive skill positions (and QB for that matter, since Nova's QB's run far, far more than Ward does [on designed runs] ). now i'm sure one of you will pull out your #2's 40 time from HS or something, which means jack.

No worries - why would this make us mad? Any honest Spider fan will tell you we were glad 'Nova wound up in your bracket last year.

We'll find out who's better on the field, at least on 11/7. And possibly again in December.

MacThor
October 20th, 2009, 09:24 PM
My brain hurts. xeyebrowx

I can't speak for other Spiders fans, but I would be very surprised -- possibly shocked -- if we run the table this year. I really feel we will lose at least one game -- not because we aren't a great team, but because we still play two great teams and one pretty darn good one. Granted they are all at home, but it would take quite an effort to win them all.

That said, I don't care if we do lose one or two. The benefit of losing only one is we will still be seeded at 10-1. A 9-2 record would make that less likely, but we'd probably still have one or two home games.

Yes, and the past two years it's been a devastating loss that spurred the Spiders on to success in the playoffs. I'd almost prefer they not enter the playoffs undefeated; it'll take a lot of pressure off.

YoUDeeMan
October 20th, 2009, 09:30 PM

I watched that game...and I would take W&M in a rematch. xnodx

blukeys
October 20th, 2009, 11:42 PM
I think the committee has shown that they are willing to give the CAA multiple bids, but they have often shown that they will be stingy with the seedings and will send the CAA on the road early and often. However, the CAA has tons of road playoff victories over the past few years, so that has not proven to be a detriment. I don't see why this year will be any different - the CAA will get lots of bids, and will play and win lots of games on the road.

You are correct. CAA teams will win on the road. We aren't the Big Fluffy Sky Conference. ;)xsmiley_wix;)xsmiley_wix;)xsmiley_wix