PDA

View Full Version : Wofford injuries continue to mount

Woof
October 20th, 2009, 08:51 AM
http://www.goupstate.com/article/20091019/NEWS/910199954/1090/SPORTS02?Title=Injuries-continue-to-pile-up-for-Wofford-football-team

For those of you keeping track: that's 6 starters who have gone down with torn ACL's this season alone xbawlingx. At this rate, one could sustain an entire orthopaedic practice in Spartanburg just on our teamxsmhx... With nobody left to run the ball, it looks like we are going to have to pull some guys over from an already depleted defense.....and maybe the golf team.xsmhx

JMU2004
October 20th, 2009, 08:58 AM
JMU has been bitten by the injury bug as well.

Starting QB, 2 WR, LB now out for.....

PhoenixSupreme
October 20th, 2009, 09:00 AM
'Tis a good time to be a physician in Spartanburg these days xlolx

biggie
October 20th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Have all the injuries occured at home? If so could the field surface be an issue?

Woof
October 20th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Have all the injuries occured at home? If so could the field surface be an issue?

Not all, but most.... here is a list I found on our fan site of the knee injuries:

Kenny Barnes (torn ACL in preseason camp)-home-grass
Derek Boyce (torn ACL in App game '09)-home-grass
Ricco Braxton (knee surgery..played 3 games) ?
Eric Breitenstein (torn PCL in Charleston Southern game)- home-grass
Hunter Hobson (torn ACL in App game '09)-home- grass
Jeremy Marshall (recovering from torn ACL in '08 App game)-turf
Mike Niam (torn ACL in Wisconsin game)- turf

I was also thinking a lower profile cleat or braces might help, but don't know ?

It sure feels like more than just bad luck.xthumbsdownx

OL FU
October 20th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Tough breaks for the players, team and fansxnodx:(

Woof
October 20th, 2009, 09:33 AM

That's for sure. I hate it for these kids. As for the fans, I am definitely keeping my "lip wedge" in the bag this season and settling in for a piece of humble pie.

Hopefully, they will all heal up in the off-season and be ready to go next year.

PaladinFan
October 20th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Those are tough because there's a good chance those players will miss time next year too.

WOCO
October 20th, 2009, 09:55 AM
WOW. We had a halfback that was in jeans because he had been out sick have to dress at halftime just so we would have enough players. This is incredible.

terrierbob
October 20th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Those are tough because there's a good chance those players will miss time next year too.

Do acl injuries take more than a year to heal?

Woof
October 20th, 2009, 03:32 PM

I think the answer is that it depends. J. Marshall and C. Tommie's did for sure, but they may be exceptions to the rule. Others seem to tolerate it better.

terrierbob
October 20th, 2009, 03:40 PM
I think the answer is that it depends. J. Marshall and C. Tommie's did for sure, but they may be exceptions to the rule. Others seem to tolerate it better.

Hope Breitenstein's PCL is better by 2010.

Really, I'm beginning to get used to the fact that we'll have a losing season this year. But I truly believe if we can get a performance like last week for the next few games, we may be a spoiler. For another thread on terrierfans, I guess.

Woof
October 20th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Hope Breitenstein's PCL is better by 2010.

Really, I'm beginning to get used to the fact that we'll have a losing season this year. But I truly believe if we can get a performance like last week for the next few games, we may be a spoiler. For another thread on terrierfans, I guess.

Amen. Last I read, EB was walking around and even making noise about wanting to play against Appy, but MA said no way- no how. Hopefully, that means he's well on the road to recovery.

My son wants to dress up for Halloween as a Terrier football player, but now I'm starting to worry about his ACL's if he does.

WCU LawCat
October 20th, 2009, 05:11 PM
This weekends match should be a good one.

Reign of Terrier
October 20th, 2009, 05:50 PM

it depends on the amount of time for rehab and haealing. Knee injuries take time to heal and in a addition you need to make that ligament stronger.

I tore my MCL and it healed in a matter of about 3 weeks but I wasn't ready to play football because I hadn't strengthened it though. Realistically, yes, they can be back within a year...of course that's based on an MCL injury the ACL may be different (I ain't no doctor)

WOCO
October 20th, 2009, 07:56 PM
This weekends match should be a good one.

I hope so. Watch out though. Wofford is getting close. Freshmen aren't freshmen after 6 games.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 20th, 2009, 08:01 PM
At least you still have Mitch Allen.

elonfan06
October 20th, 2009, 08:17 PM

To help answer the question tenative NO, a clean ACL only tear usually takes around 6 months post surgery to heal. However, it depends on the extent of the ACL tear and what kind of replacement tendon is used and most importantly the healing person of the individual. This is only an ACL tear, no MCL or PCL, if you're "lucky" you tear only the ACL. The players have a lot going for them since they are young and are in good shape. I would assume that most of the players used either a cadaver graph or their own patellar tendon. The Cadaver graph takes less time to heal as it is only one part of the knee. With the patellar tendon the graphing is better but longer healing period because it is two parts of the body that has to heal. Hamstrings are used but not usually with athletes because using hamstring takes 2 of your 3 away.

I know all this because I had ACL surgery (clean tear) from a (flag) football injury in April. I'm almost 100% and my 6 month mark is in two weeks. However, because I'm a recreation player now I'm not pushing it. Sorry for the long answer but thought since ACL injuries are prevalent to players and non-players everyone might want to know.

I hope the WoCo players do get better there is nothing worse than post-surgery. It's boring and slow and even worse when you want to be on the field with your team.

Reign of Terrier
October 20th, 2009, 08:21 PM
To help answer the question tenative NO, a clean ACL only tear usually takes around 6 months post surgery to heal. However, it depends on the extent of the ACL tear and what kind of replacement tendon is used and most importantly the healing person of the individual. This is only an ACL tear, no MCL or PCL, if you're "lucky" you tear only the ACL. The players have a lot going for them since they are young and are in good shape. I would assume that most of the players used either a cadaver graph or their own patellar tendon. The Cadaver graph takes less time to heal as it is only one part of the knee. With the patellar tendon the graphing is better but longer healing period because it is two parts of the body that has to heal. Hamstrings are used but not usually with athletes because using hamstring takes 2 of your 3 away.

I know all this because I had ACL surgery (clean tear) from a (flag) football injury in April. I'm almost 100% and my 6 month mark is in two weeks. However, because I'm a recreation player now I'm not pushing it. Sorry for the long answer but thought since ACL injuries are prevalent to players and non-players everyone might want to know.

I hope the WoCo players do get better there is nothing worse than post-surgery. It's boring and slow and even worse when you want to be on the field with your team.

xnodx There we go, I got showed up again xlolx

elonfan06
October 21st, 2009, 11:42 AM
Not trying to show you up, just some more details about the ACL. As you said and is true the MCL, ACL and PCL are, while all apart of the knee, very different. I ain't no doctor either but I listened well.

Seven Would Be Nice
October 21st, 2009, 12:30 PM

ACL/MCL is a pretty significant injury. I have friends that still wear knee braces from injuries in highschool. It all depends on how well you heal. Some people come back 100%, some are never the same again.

Reign of Terrier
October 21st, 2009, 06:32 PM
ACL/MCL is a pretty significant injury. I have friends that still wear knee braces from injuries in highschool. It all depends on how well you heal. Some people come back 100%, some are never the same again.

mcl is not that bad

AppStsGr8
October 21st, 2009, 06:45 PM

Really tough. I hate to see players lose a season to an injury of any kind. Hopefully, that's the last of the Terrier injuries. You've had more than enough already.

ASU_Fanatic
October 21st, 2009, 07:08 PM
Poor Woffie.