PDA

View Full Version : Edwards Surpasses Riddle as SoCon’s All-Time Leading Passer

appirishmen
October 19th, 2009, 03:55 PM
http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=204816666

wow. i didnt know he was close to him. i wonder how long it will be for Riddle to take back his crown?

straightshooter
October 19th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Not long. Riddle has another year at Elon.

Skjellyfetti
October 19th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Edwards now holds SoCon records for career passing yards, total offense (12,474 yds.), rushing yards by a quarterback (3,965) and touchdowns responsible for (122).

xnodx

gophoenix
October 19th, 2009, 04:10 PM
http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=204816666

wow. i didnt know he was close to him. i wonder how long it will be for Riddle to take back his crown?

Woohoo, only took him 3.5 years with 10 extra games to pass a current JUNIOR in college. :D

AppIAA
October 19th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Woohoo, only took him 3.5 years with 10 extra games to pass a current JUNIOR in college. :D

Woohoo, look at his total yardage, winning percentage as a starter, and how many more pass attempts Riddle has, and tell ol' Scotty Boy to take some notes!

DLS
October 19th, 2009, 04:18 PM

yea how many games has armanti sat out? how many pass attempts has riddle had? what teams were those yards against? not playoff teams. xrulesx

Skjellyfetti
October 19th, 2009, 04:21 PM
This thread made me think of this...

Does any quarterback have a 300+ yard running game and 400+ yard passing game(s)? Is AE the first?

Reign of Terrier
October 19th, 2009, 04:22 PM

Does any quarterback have a 300+ yard running game and 400+ yard passing game(s)? Is AE the first?

maybe the Missouri QB who preceded Chase Daniel but I doubt it

ElonPride
October 19th, 2009, 04:23 PM

Does any other SoCon QB have 530+ passing yards in a single game? No, Riddle is the only one :D

Skjellyfetti
October 19th, 2009, 04:23 PM

Awwwww. Poor Scott Riddle. Never been to the playoffs. :( xbawlingx

ElonPride
October 19th, 2009, 04:24 PM
yea how many games has armanti sat out? how many pass attempts has riddle had? what teams were those yards against? not playoff teams. xrulesx

......and what exactly are the answers to your questions (not sarcasm).

Reign of Terrier
October 19th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Does any other SoCon QB have 530+ passing yards in a single game? No, Riddle is the only one :D

does any other QB throw it eleventy jillion times a game?

ur2k
October 19th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I would ask how many rings the guy from Elon had before any of these other questions/comparisons.

ElonPride
October 19th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Woohoo, look at his total yardage, winning percentage as a starter, and how many more pass attempts Riddle has, and tell ol' Scotty Boy to take some notes!

Look at the rest of Riddle's records. Lil ole Armanti should take some notes so he may be successful at the next level:

SoCon records:

Consecutive games throwing a TD pass
completions in a season
passing yards in a single season
total offensive plays in a season
completions in a single game
yards throwing in a single game
total offense in a single season
consecutive games with 200 & 300 yards passing
consecutive pass attempts without an INT
td passes in a single quarter
NCAA record - TD passes by a freshman QB

Should I go on?? :D

DLS
October 19th, 2009, 04:34 PM
......and what exactly are the answers to your questions (not sarcasm).

riddle 1169 att
edwards 947 att

edwards missed 6 games total BUT he also only played 2 partial games in 2007 and he didnt start until his 3rd game of freshman year.

Skjellyfetti
October 19th, 2009, 04:34 PM

Marshall QB in 1991 had 640+ yards passing against VMI. Not, SoCon anymore... but, he was a Socon QB.

Skjellyfetti
October 19th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Lil ole Armanti should take some notes so he may be successful at the next level:

Hmmmm. Let's see what scouts think about the two:

Armanti Edwards... #16 QB in the class of 2010
Projected round: 7
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=66873&draftyear=2010&genpos=WR

Scott Riddle... #46 QB in the class of 2011
Projected round: N/A :(
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=71530&draftyear=2011&genpos=QB

ElonPride
October 19th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Marshall QB in 1991 had 640+ yards passing against VMI. Not, SoCon anymore... but, he was a Socon QB then.

Hmmm.....you are correct. Foot, let me introduce you to mouth!

Saint3333
October 19th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I was wondering how far into the season we'd go before Eloners started a debate between Riddle and AE, silly really

AE can pass as well as Riddle in the pocket, and can make throws Riddle can't when he's in trouble.

Then throw rushing the ball in mix and completely taking games over and it is rear view mirror time.

Riddle is a excellent passing QB, one of the best the SoCon has seen even, but QB vs. QB is no contest.

Elon fans are you telling me you'd rather have Riddle as your QB than AE, no backtracking like "for our system/program" BS either?

gophoenix
October 19th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Ok, let's get this straight Carolina fans.... oops, I mean App fans.

Edwards: 49 games played (6 already removed)
Riddle: 29 games played

Edwards entered App on a championship team.
Riddle entered Elon on a team that hadn't had a winning record in 6 seasons.

Edwards has great stats, all of them are great. But the thread brought to the plate the Edwards passed Riddle, who was on a bye week, made a big deal out of it, and on top of that has played in 20 more games than Riddle.

If you want to start a thread as smack, then start it as smack. But don't go whining to look at his other stats, that's not what this thread was about.

gophoenix
October 19th, 2009, 04:55 PM
I was wondering how far into the season we'd go before Eloners started a debate between Riddle and AE, silly really

AE can pass as well as Riddle in the pocket, and can make throws Riddle can't when he's in trouble.

Then throw rushing the ball in mix and completely taking games over and it is rear view mirror time.

Riddle is a excellent passing QB, one of the best the SoCon has seen even, but QB vs. QB is no contest.

Elon fans are you telling me you'd rather have Riddle as your QB than AE, no backtracking like "for our system/program" BS either?

I'm not. Riddle is getting the job done. You can't compare the two, they are two totally different QBs. Riddle fits the system we have.xrolleyesx

The issue is, ask your fellow fans what the purpose of posting this is....

You're right, we don't POSSIBLY play any playoff teams, do we? I just can't fine Wofford, Richmond or App on the schedule anywhere the past two years. On top of FBS USF and WFU. Riddle has just had it SOOOO easy playing those same 8 or 9 other teams that App has played each year. xrolleyesx

Skjellyfetti
October 19th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Ok, let's get this straight Carolina fans.... oops, I mean App fans.

Edwards: 49 games played (6 already removed)
Riddle: 29 games played

Edwards entered App on a championship team.
Riddle entered Elon on a team that hadn't had a winning record in 6 seasons.

Edwards has great stats, all of them are great. But the thread brought to the plate the Edwards passed Riddle, who was on a bye week, made a big deal out of it, and on top of that has played in 20 more games than Riddle.

If you want to start a thread as smack, then start it as smack. But don't go whining to look at his other stats, that's not what this thread was about.

Riddle will end up with the record... as long as his arm doesn't fall off after throwing it ~2,000 times in his career. And he deserves it. He's a great QB.

But, Armanti has the record now. And, I think it's good he has it because it helps dispel myths that he is a running quarterback 1st and a throwing quarterback 2nd. He's both... one of the best truly dual threat quarterbacks of all time. xnodx

ElonPride
October 19th, 2009, 05:00 PM

Saint, not debating who is better, just backing up our QB.

Any team would be stupid not to take AE on the recruiting trail, but at this point I would take Riddle over AE. Riddle just simply has great chemistry with this current Elon team. And it's not BS to say "he fits out system" because he clearly fits what Lembo had in mind. While out recruiting, Lembo knew that if he got Riddle, he would start from day 1.

As far as not making the throws when it counts, just simply look at the game winning drive Riddle QB'ed earlier this year v. Furman.

And GP is right, it is silly to compare the two. Both put up ridiculous numbers.

BUT at the same time, you do have to look at where the programs stood when the 2 QBs arrived on campus. Elon went from the ultimate doormat to SoCon title contender after Riddle's first few games.

gophoenix
October 19th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Riddle will end up with the record... as long as his arm doesn't fall off after throwing it ~2,000 times in his career. And he deserves it. He's a great QB.

But, Armanti has the record now. And, I think it's good he has it because it helps dispel myths that he is a running quarterback 1st and a throwing quarterback 2nd. He's both... one of the best truly dual threat quarterbacks of all time. xnodx

I'll drink to that. He's one of the best for sure.

Skjellyfetti
October 19th, 2009, 05:02 PM
As far as not making the throws when it counts, just simply look at the game winning drive Riddle QB'ed earlier this year v. Furman.

And look at his drive at the end of the game last year in Boone with EVERYTHING on the line (SoCon title, playoff birth, etc.).

Saint3333
October 19th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Riddle is getting the job down no doubt, but you are avoiding the rhetorical question ;-).

The issue seemed that the poster was surprised he was that close to the record. Not everyone is out to get Elon, must fans are fairly indifferent.

gophoenix
October 19th, 2009, 05:03 PM
And look at his failure of a drive last year in Boone with EVERYTHING on the line (SoCon title, playoff birth, etc.).

You mean the one in the sleet, 30mph wind, snow, rain, etc? He was a SOPHOMORE on a team that graduated 6 players last year. You aren't comparing Apples to Apples with this.

DLS
October 19th, 2009, 05:04 PM
I'm not. Riddle is getting the job done. You can't compare the two, they are two totally different QBs. Riddle fits the system we have.xrolleyesx

You're right, we don't POSSIBLY play any playoff teams, do we? I just can't fine Wofford, Richmond or App on the schedule anywhere the past two years. On top of FBS USF and WFU. Riddle has just had it SOOOO easy playing those same 8 or 9 other teams that App has played each year. xrolleyesx

haha playoff games make teams play on another level. its not the same in the regular season. sorry bud.

gophoenix
October 19th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Riddle is getting the job down no doubt, but you are avoiding the rhetorical question ;-).

The issue seemed that the poster was surprised he was that close to the record. Not everyone is out to get Elon, must fans are fairly indifferent.

Most fans might be indifferent.

Most fans on these types of boards are not though.

ElonPride
October 19th, 2009, 05:05 PM
And look at his drive at the end of the game last year in Boone with EVERYTHING on the line (SoCon title, playoff birth, etc.).

Yes I do remember that quite well.......

And the Liberty game last year.....

And the El Cid game the year before.....

And his first start at USF.......

phoenix3
October 19th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Congratulations to AE. He is certainly one of the best SoCon and FCS quarterbacks around!

gophoenix
October 19th, 2009, 05:08 PM
haha playoff games make teams play on another level. its not the same in the regular season. sorry bud.

Then that goes right back into the fact that....

follow me here....

it's not that hard to get....

EDWARDS HAS PLAYED IN 20, that's 2 and a 0 more games than Riddle. And, fine, want to take your playoff games out???

Ok, follow me again here....

just a bit more....

EDWARDS HAS PLAYED IN 9, that is 9, nearly a full season more than Riddle.

Sorry, bud, there's no spinning this one.

Skjellyfetti
October 19th, 2009, 05:18 PM
You mean the one in the sleet, 30mph wind, snow, rain, etc? He was a SOPHOMORE on a team that graduated 6 players last year. You aren't comparing Apples to Apples with this.

I don't need to remind you what Armanti did as a sophomore do I? ;)

CamelCityAppFan
October 19th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Will Armanti graduate with the SoCon record for total offense (yards), and if he does, what's the liklihood that record is broken soon?

appst97
October 19th, 2009, 05:38 PM

You are so right, Sophomores at Elon shouldn't be expected to do much, but since you brought it up.... It was his 22nd game as a starter. By AE 22nd start he had led the Mountaineers to another Socon championship, another National championship, Shocked the football world in the Big House and was in the process of getting fitted for two more rings in the upcoming weeks. If you gonna make excuses for your boy, at least make good ones, And oh by the way, Sleet, Snow, Rain and Wind, Thats where most of AE's games are played, Welcome to Boone!

T-Dog
October 19th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Does Riddle have 3,965 rushing yards to go along with his passing stats? Didn't think so.

Did Riddle have those rushing yards, not to mention the all-time App St rushing leader Kevin Richardson in the backfield for two years to hand the ball off to most the time?

How about passer rating ?

This year

AE - 163.3
Riddle - 144.9

College career

AE - 158.1
Riddle - 139.9

Not to mention AE is 1-0 vs Riddle (missed 2007 vs Elon due to injury, but we still won)

Oh, forgot the biggest fact of them all. YOU HAVEN'T BEATEN US IN FORTY YEARS!

nms1987
October 19th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Are we really bickering about this?
Really?
Why?

EVERYONE knows that Riddle has played fewer games than AE but has also thrown more passes and that AE is a better runner and has gone to playoffs.
What is the point of getting in a "my toy is better than yours!" fight.

I'm an App fan, and I wouldn't trade Armanti for any QB in the world for our team. If I was Elon I wouldn't trade Riddle for anyone.
Riddle runs Elon's offense better than AE could, and AE runs App's offense better than Riddle could. But that is a moot point as Elon wouldn't be running their O like they do with Armanti at Q and App certainly wouldn't be running the O they do with a pass-first guy like Riddle at Q. Both guys put tons of points on the board and are the best (or among the few best) players their schools have ever had and each has lead their school to heights never before reached.

Why fight about this?
They're both great, they're both elite. Both among the best ever in the SoCon.
They have different skills but arguing over the details of how player A got more games but Player B gets more passes to a get a record is BEYOND silly.
What does that prove?

You've got to be an idiot if you think a college yards record is any kind of definitive proof of who is better than whom.
As great as these players were in college does anyone think Tommy Chang, Ty Detmer and Colt Brennan were better college quarterbacks than Tim Tebow (as much as I hate him), Peyton Manning or Donovan McNabb even though the first 3 guys are the ones with the all time records?
Probably not. Does it matter? No.
All of those guys mentioned did lead their teams and scored points exceptionally well and their records permanently attest to it and we should honor that.

Think about this year, does anyone think Steven Sheffield is the FBS best QB, Freddie Barnes is the best WR and Ryan Matthews is the best RB? No.
But they've done as well for there teams as anyone could.
Generally speaking, I'd take a (healthy) Sam Bradford over Steven Sheffield any day of the week but could Bradford really be expected to score any more points for TTU than Sheffield did? No.
Bradford is a better football player but Sheffield has fit TTUs offense as well as you can fit an offense so far this year.

Theres no point arguing the stupid details. Armanti has the record right now and Riddle will almost certainly finish his career with the record.
And that is what matters. Both of these guys will go down as SoCon legends.

Why can't we just leave it at that?
Proving that AE played 5 more games or that Riddle threw 100 more passes doesn't change any of that and doesn't prove any meaningful point.

Reign of Terrier
October 19th, 2009, 06:09 PM
As a team that has played both I will have to say Armanti, who has played us well every game

as for Riddle I'll have to refer you to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL6XDy9cYGM&feature=channel_page

nms1987
October 19th, 2009, 06:10 PM

Projected round: 5-6
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=66873&draftyear=2010&genpos=WR

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=71530&draftyear=2011&genpos=QB

Come on dude.
I'm an App fan too but you can't compare the two.
Your own link shows one being rated higher but at a completely different position. Apples n oranges.

Furthermore, what kind of a college fan bills his favorite player but saying "he'll be better in the NFL than your guy". Who cares. It isn't about what they will do in the NFL, it is about what they do in college.

Is Wes Welker suddenly a better college receiver than Peter Warrick because he has produced in the NFL? No.
If Terrell Hudgins gets cut in training camp, will his college career be any less great?

Dozens of college FBs best alltime QBs didn't do anything in the NFL.

Reign of Terrier
October 19th, 2009, 06:12 PM
they'll be UFL elites IMO (and that's not necessarily a bad thing)

whoanellie
October 19th, 2009, 06:36 PM
good grief, what a bunch of a-@#$%^
give both guys some props screw all'yall.
neither sucks...
both have outstanding supportive casts.
one cannot mow his yard and the other
just plays baseball because he can.

ElonFirefighter
October 19th, 2009, 06:43 PM

Projected round: 5-6

not projected to go this yeas as he still has one left.... Though Im not saying he wil go next year

KiddBrewer
October 19th, 2009, 07:22 PM
not projected to go this yeas as he still has one left.... Though Im not saying he wil go next year

ha just read the dang post ....it says class of 2011 for riddle anyway!

KiddBrewer
October 19th, 2009, 07:24 PM
P.S.

why do people think people are out to get Elon?!? ELON ! haha thats just funny to me.....who REALLY cares about ELON...awesome year, but not quite impressive enough to have many "haters".

HAHAHAHHAHHA ok im done

Skjellyfetti
October 19th, 2009, 07:38 PM

If he's the #46 QB in his class... he's not going to be drafted unless a lot of teams decide they want to draft two QB's. xlolx

gophoenix
October 19th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Are we really bickering about this?
Really?
Why?

EVERYONE knows that Riddle has played fewer games than AE but has also thrown more passes and that AE is a better runner and has gone to playoffs.
What is the point of getting in a "my toy is better than yours!" fight.

I'm an App fan, and I wouldn't trade Armanti for any QB in the world for our team. If I was Elon I wouldn't trade Riddle for anyone.
Riddle runs Elon's offense better than AE could, and AE runs App's offense better than Riddle could. But that is a moot point as Elon wouldn't be running their O like they do with Armanti at Q and App certainly wouldn't be running the O they do with a pass-first guy like Riddle at Q. Both guys put tons of points on the board and are the best (or among the few best) players their schools have ever had and each has lead their school to heights never before reached.

Why fight about this?
They're both great, they're both elite. Both among the best ever in the SoCon.
They have different skills but arguing over the details of how player A got more games but Player B gets more passes to a get a record is BEYOND silly.
What does that prove?

You've got to be an idiot if you think a college yards record is any kind of definitive proof of who is better than whom.
As great as these players were in college does anyone think Tommy Chang, Ty Detmer and Colt Brennan were better college quarterbacks than Tim Tebow (as much as I hate him), Peyton Manning or Donovan McNabb even though the first 3 guys are the ones with the all time records?
Probably not. Does it matter? No.
All of those guys mentioned did lead their teams and scored points exceptionally well and their records permanently attest to it and we should honor that.

Think about this year, does anyone think Steven Sheffield is the FBS best QB, Freddie Barnes is the best WR and Ryan Matthews is the best RB? No.
But they've done as well for there teams as anyone could.
Generally speaking, I'd take a (healthy) Sam Bradford over Steven Sheffield any day of the week but could Bradford really be expected to score any more points for TTU than Sheffield did? No.
Bradford is a better football player but Sheffield has fit TTUs offense as well as you can fit an offense so far this year.

Theres no point arguing the stupid details. Armanti has the record right now and Riddle will almost certainly finish his career with the record.
And that is what matters. Both of these guys will go down as SoCon legends.

Why can't we just leave it at that?
Proving that AE played 5 more games or that Riddle threw 100 more passes doesn't change any of that and doesn't prove any meaningful point.

This is a great post.

Which is why I said they are different and not really comparable. Both are going to end with records that probably won't be broken for a long time. Rarely do impact QBs play all 4 years for one conference anymore.

appirishmen
October 19th, 2009, 08:38 PM
wow. i didnt realize this would start smack. i was just posting the link. haha. both good QBs, but two really different style of QBs. its hard to compare. but you have to admit, for a run first offense, AEs numbers are impressive.

Skjellyfetti
October 19th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Come on dude.
I'm an App fan too but you can't compare the two.
Your own link shows one being rated higher but at a completely different position. Apples n oranges.

My post was in response to a post from an Elon fan saying that Riddle would be a better QB.

And the Armanti link has him listed as the #16 QUARTERBACK.

Here ya go, since you missed it the first time:
http://i37.tinypic.com/zsqv79.jpg

PhoenixMan
October 19th, 2009, 08:51 PM
This is kinda ridiculous. These are both excellent QB's. I'm a big fan of Riddle and all he has done at Elon. However, AE has shown that he can win. Leading a team to tough, hard fought victories is the mark of a great QB. To the poster that said Armanti is just as good a pocket passer as Riddle, I disagree completely. That's what Riddle does best. All other areas of the game go to AE.

EmeryZach
October 19th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Imagine if Armanti wasn't always injured!? His numbers would be even crazier.

He will be a UFL stud. (At least I hope. I have NY Sentinels season tickets. Which is only 2 games, but still)

PhoenixSupreme
October 19th, 2009, 09:39 PM
You can say that QBs are just QBs but there are still really two types in my opinion....Pro-Style QBs (Riddle) and Dual-Threat QBs (Edwards). High school prospect sites recognize this and list QBs in one of the two categories in their rankings. They are both most efficient at their individual style of play, so it is a little unfair to compare both in one singular QB definition. Sure Armanti has made himself into a figure of lore in FCS football, and Riddle (along with Armanti) has rewritten the record books at his school, but let's not forget the supporting cast behind them that have blocked and caught passes for both QBs. Without these guys doing their jobs week in and week out, we may not even be having this debate right now in the first place.

CID1990
October 19th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Look at the rest of Riddle's records. Lil ole Armanti should take some notes so he may be successful at the next level:

SoCon records:

completions in a season

You forgot to mention one:

Having all those wonderful stats without yet having been to the playoffs. Maybe this year.

Eagle22
October 19th, 2009, 10:08 PM

I'd say yes.

Tracy Ham's high water mark rushing was 199 yards vs. ECU in 1986. He broke the 400+ yard passing mark twice (1985 vs. Furman in the title game, and 1984 vs. ECU).

Greg Hill and Willie Taggart (WKU) might be the only dual threat QB's since Ham to even approach that kind of rushing tally in a single game. Not sure about Taggart, but Hill topped out around 250 yards tops in rushing and passing ... he never broke 300 in either category, but was a career 3000 rushing/3000 passing yardage guy.

Until AE, only Ham and Hill had reached those career plateaus.

DLS
October 20th, 2009, 07:21 AM

follow me here....

EDWARDS HAS PLAYED IN 20, that's 2 and a 0 more games than Riddle. And, fine, want to take your playoff games out???

just a bit more....

what games are you counting? i see ae has played in 39 FULL games and that's including playoffs. and follow me here . . . .

he has almost 4,000 more yards to his total yardage with only 10 more FULL games played.

Saint3333
October 20th, 2009, 07:38 AM
This is kinda ridiculous. These are both excellent QB's. I'm a big fan of Riddle and all he has done at Elon. However, AE has shown that he can win. Leading a team to tough, hard fought victories is the mark of a great QB. To the poster that said Armanti is just as good a pocket passer as Riddle, I disagree completely. That's what Riddle does best. All other areas of the game go to AE.

Show me one throw Riddle can make that AE can't. AE can throw the touch screen, quick strike over the middle, and a 60+ in the air bomb. AE could be a pocket passer if needed.

AppIAA
October 20th, 2009, 07:53 AM

Keyword.. SOCON.. thats 9 schools (off the top of my head -- correct me if I'm wrong).. AE has NATIONAL plaudits.. big difference..

AppIAA
October 20th, 2009, 07:53 AM

SoCon records:

completions in a season

Do I really need to list AE's records???

AppIAA
October 20th, 2009, 07:57 AM
riddle 1169 att
edwards 947 att

So in one less year, Riddle already has 222 more pass attempts. I would be really bitter if my all star qb had that many more pass attempts, and wasn't in the running for tops in passing yards. The fact that Armanti is such a running threat and has almost 4000 career rushing yards AS WELL as the top in SoCon passing yards should speak for itself. But, of course, Elon fans can not accept the fact that Armanti has the record right now...

Regardless, both QBs are excellent and are doing great things for their respective schools

ElonPride
October 20th, 2009, 08:07 AM
I would be really bitter if my all star qb had that many more pass attempts, and wasn't in the running for tops in passing yards.

xeyebrowx

Did you read the title of this thread?

AppIAA
October 20th, 2009, 08:13 AM
xeyebrowx

Did you read the title of this thread?

Sure did.. did you read the thread? Some Elon fans are saying Riddle is so much better than AE because he has done it in 3 years..

What I am saying is if my QB had that many more passing attempts in 3 years, he damn well better be near the top..

ElonPride
October 20th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Sure did.. did you read the thread? Elon fans are saying Riddle is so much better than AE because he has done it in 3 years..

What I am saying is if my QB had that many more passing attempts in 3 years, he damn well better be near the top..

He was on top! AE (someone's that played about the worth of 2 more seasons in games) broke his record while Riddle sat out in a bye week!xsmiley_wix

PhoenixSupreme
October 20th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Does it really matter if Armanti broke Riddle's record or someone else's record had it not been Riddle as the former record-holder? The fact is that Armanti has it now and Riddle now just has to take it back. I guarantee that whenever Riddle does retake the record, someone will then remake this thread again, and the argument will ensue again.

DLS
October 20th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Does it really matter if Armanti broke Riddle's record or someone else's record had it not been Riddle as the former record-holder? The fact is that Armanti has it now and Riddle now just has to take it back. I guarantee that whenever Riddle does retake the record, someone will then remake this thread again, and the argument will ensue again.

that's cool, i like to argue, throw out homer picks in the polls, and make outrageous predictions to final scores of games two weeks away. don't hate on me.

AppIAA
October 20th, 2009, 08:29 AM
He was on top, until AE (someone's that played about 2 seasons more games) broke his record in a bye week!xsmiley_wix

I realize this... I am not arguing that at all.. I am simply saying, if my QB had that many more pass attempts more in I would be pretty bitter if he was not at least near the top (in this case, in the top 2)..

But since you took a shot with the "(someone's that played about 2 seasons more games)" statement, I will take mine..

Riddle has 222 extra pass attempts.. Assuming (yes, i know what assuming does) Elon plays 12 games a year, that is 18.5 extra pass attempts A GAME.. Earlier in this thread, I think it was noted Riddle has a 68% completion rate (I may be making this up -- not sure and dont want to go back)

68% of 18.5 is 12.765 completions... Assuming he averages 7.85 yards per completion, that is more than 100 yards extra PER GAME Riddle has.. Again, assuming Elon plays 12 games a season, thats 1200 more yards a season. OF COURSE he will be on top in that statistic.

You have to look at the WHOLE PICTURE.

Completion percentage, attempts, yards per completion, rushing yards, total yards, TDs accountable for, winning %, Playoff wins, Championships, etc. to determine who is the better. Now I know some of those stats have to deal with who they have around them, but I am pretty sure the QBs job is to be a leader and directly impacts his team mates.

But, this argument is moot.. Both QBs are doing great things for their respective teams and the game in Nov. will be fun to watch!

ElonPride
October 20th, 2009, 08:40 AM
I realize this... I am not arguing that at all.. I am simply saying, if my QB had that many more pass attempts more in I would be pretty bitter if he was not at least near the top (in this case, in the top 2)..

But since you took a shot with the "(someone's that played about 2 seasons more games)" statement, I will take mine..

Riddle has 222 extra pass attempts.. Assuming (yes, i know what assuming does) Elon plays 12 games a year, that is 18.5 extra pass attempts A GAME.. Earlier in this thread, I think it was noted Riddle has a 68% completion rate (I may be making this up -- not sure and dont want to go back)

68% of 18.5 is 12.765 completions... Assuming he averages 7.85 yards per completion, that is more than 100 yards extra PER GAME Riddle has.. Again, assuming Elon plays 12 games a season, thats 1200 more yards a season. OF COURSE he will be on top in that statistic.

Completion percentage, attempts, yards per completion, rushing yards, total yards, TDs accountable for, winning %, Playoff wins, Championships, etc. to determine who is the better. Now I know some of those stats have to deal with who they have around them, but I am pretty sure the QBs job is to be a leader and directly impacts his team mates.

But, this argument is moot.. Both QBs are doing great things for their respective teams and the game in Nov. will be fun to watch!

Yes I know you have to look at the entire picture! Notice the little winky eye emoticon at the end of my post.

All argument aside, how many TDs is AE responsible for? I think that someone said 120? I believe that Riddle is up to apprx 80.

Also, I would like to note that Riddle did break that SoCon's mark of consecutive passes without an INT. That speaks volumes about decision making at the QB position (which was seemingly in question earlier in this thread).

But yes the point is moot.

Also, I've heard that Elon is bringing in extra bleachers for the game in Nov. not sure if there is any validity, but if that's true it should push the crowd up to 15-16,000ish. Should be fun!

AppIAA
October 20th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Yes I know you have to look at the entire picture! Notice the little winky eye emoticon at the end of my post.

That post was not intended to you, but more in general.. thats my fault for quoting you at first though.

All argument aside, how many TDs is AE responsible for? I think that someone said 120? I believe that Riddle is up to apprx 80.

Don't know, and too lazy to look ;)

Also, I would like to note that Riddle did break that SoCon's mark of consecutive passes without an INT. That speaks volumes about decision making at the QB position (which was seemingly in question earlier in this thread).

So with how many passes a game he has, was that half a game ;) Just kidding, that is impressive

Also, I've heard that Elon is bringing in extra bleachers for the game in Nov. not sure if there is any validity, but if that's true it should push the crowd up to 15-16,000ish. Should be fun!

Wish I could be there wearing my Black and Gold!

gophoenix
October 20th, 2009, 09:10 AM

See, and I'll disagree with that. Playoffs, playoffs wins and championships has nothing to do with how good a single player is. That is team, coaching, etc. What has been said mercilessly by I don't know how many posters on this board is, App is head and shoulders above everyone else in the conference, let alone the country, in team personnel. So, Armanti has had success with an already successful team, with a team proven to have not only pass protection, but a running game and capable receivers. Where Elon, before Riddle, had none of that and for Riddle's first year had none of that outside of receivers; which goes back to why team achievements have nothing to do with the player. Which is why Terrell Owens is a fantastic NFL receiver, but played on a sucky college team.

Which goes back to, the stats are not really comparable; the thread was started about passing yards (not about Amranti's other stats); and everything else is moot for the argument.

The fact is, Armanti has had 200 less attempts, has basically the same completion percentage, comes from a winning program and just not passed a current junior for these stats (said Junior had a bye week, which is why Armanti passed him). The fact is that Armanti is also a rusher too. Good for him, we're talking passing here. And, has taken 2 full seasons of attempts (whether he played or not) to do this. So, he played in 10 more real games. So, I thought I'd look at it and, well, Riddle has played in 22 full games.

biggie
October 20th, 2009, 09:13 AM
As many App fans that were buying tickets, wondering how many of us will be there. Definitely seems like thousands from the Message Board talk.

AppIAA
October 20th, 2009, 09:20 AM
See, and I'll disagree with that. Playoffs, playoffs wins and championships has nothing to do with how good a single player is. That is team, coaching, etc. What has been said mercilessly by I don't know how many posters on this board is, App is head and shoulders above everyone else in the conference, let alone the country, in team personnel. So, Armanti has had success with an already successful team, with a team proven to have not only pass protection, but a running game and capable receivers. Where Elon, before Riddle, had none of that and for Riddle's first year had none of that outside of receivers; which goes back to why team achievements have nothing to do with the player. Which is why Terrell Owens is a fantastic NFL receiver, but played on a sucky college team.

Which goes back to, the stats are not really comparable; the thread was started about passing yards (not about Amranti's other stats); and everything else is moot for the argument.

The fact is, Armanti has had 200 less attempts, has basically the same completion percentage, comes from a winning program and just not passed a current junior for these stats (said Junior had a bye week, which is why Armanti passed him). The fact is that Armanti is also a rusher too. Good for him, we're talking passing here. And, has taken 2 full seasons of attempts (whether he played or not) to do this. So, he played in 10 more real games. So, I thought I'd look at it and, well, Riddle has played in 22 full games.

You're absolutely right. Riddle is the best thing that has ever hit the SoCon.. Why do other QBs even play? No chance they are going to come remotely close to Scotty boy...

The fact that Armanti is such a running threat and has less attempts makes it even more impressive he is near the top at any time...

I will say it AGAIN.. REGARDLESS OF WHO HAS THE RECORD (Riddle will clearly have it by the end of his career), both kids have done incredible things!!

elon77
October 20th, 2009, 09:26 AM
You forgot to mention one:

Having all those wonderful stats without yet having been to the playoffs. Maybe this year.

How many times have you been lately? How's it working out for you this year? I'm sorry, I just had to throw my 2 cents in.xtwocentsx

elon77
October 20th, 2009, 09:30 AM
November 14, it sure could be fun!

CID1990
October 20th, 2009, 09:31 AM
How many times have you been lately? How's it working out for you this year? I'm sorry, I just had to throw my 2 cents in.xtwocentsx

Nice try, buddy, but the school you went to doesn't preclude you from being able to read and assess.

BTW- We went three times when I was in school, back when dinosaurs ruled the earth.

My point, if you read between the lines, is the Armanti has the only stat record that matters: national championships.

blueballs
October 20th, 2009, 09:38 AM
As a neutral observer please allow me to state that the thought of even having a debate over who is the better QB between Armanti Edwards and Scott Riddle is utterly ridiculous.

Edwards is one of the best ever in the division, and will be a very strong candidate for the College Football Hall of Fame. Riddle is a candidate for all conference honors- which isn't bad, in fact Riddle is a very good player- but Edwards is a program maker and a once in a generation championship player who engineered multiple titles and perhaps the greatest win ever for a FCS school.

I can think of several QB's in the SoCon in the past 10 years I would take over Riddle: Ingle Martin, Richie Williams, Greg Hill, JR Revere, Chaz Williams, Billy Napier come to mind immediately; but there's not a one on that list I would take over Edwards.

No comparison... Riddle deserves to be mentioned with the greats in Elon's history, Edwards deserves to be mentioned with the greats in the history of the division. Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig difference.

Woof
October 20th, 2009, 09:39 AM

Agreed. AE has more weapons than a swiss army knife and can turn into a ghost when the rush is on. That is much tougher to defend than a one dimensional passing QB.

elon77
October 20th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Nice try, buddy, but the school you went to doesn't preclude you from being able to read and assess.

BTW- We went three times when I was in school, back when dinosaurs ruled the earth.

My point, if you read between the lines, is the Armanti has the only stat record that matters: national championships.

Like I said Buddy, how many times have you been LATELY, and how is it working out for you THIS year?

AppSt.09
October 20th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Like I said Buddy, how many times have you been LATELY, and how is it working out for you THIS year?

THIS year, Armanti has the same number of losses as Riddle has: 1, since he did not play against ECU. And lately, I think that we made it to the semi-finals last year while Elon was sitting at home after a meltdown against Liberty. So you really don't have a valid argument with this one.

appst97
October 20th, 2009, 10:40 AM
As a neutral observer please allow me to state that the thought of even having a debate over who is the better QB between Armanti Edwards and Scott Riddle is utterly ridiculous.

Edwards is one of the best ever in the division, and will be a very strong candidate for the College Football Hall of Fame. Riddle is a candidate for all conference honors- which isn't bad, in fact Riddle is a very good player- but Edwards is a program maker and a once in a generation championship player who engineered multiple titles and perhaps the greatest win ever for a FCS school.

I can think of several QB's in the SoCon in the past 10 years I would take over Riddle: Ingle Martin, Richie Williams, Greg Hill, JR Revere, Chaz Williams, Billy Napier come to mind immediately; but there's not a one on that list I would take over Edwards.

No comparison... Riddle deserves to be mentioned with the greats in Elon's history, Edwards deserves to be mentioned with the greats in the history of the division. Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig difference.

Well Said!!xthumbsupx

PhoenixSupreme
October 20th, 2009, 10:40 AM
THIS year, Armanti has the same number of losses as Riddle has: 1, since he did not play against ECU. And lately, I think that we made it to the semi-finals last year while Elon was sitting at home after a meltdown against Liberty. So you really don't have a valid argument with this one.

Actually App lost in the quarterfinals, but it doesn't really change the point of what you were trying to say. But the point of this topic was to congratulate Armanti on taking the record, but once again Elon and App fans have turned this topic into a "We have 3 championships, you have no playoff appearances" topic once again.

DLS
October 20th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Actually App lost in the quarterfinals, but it doesn't really change the point of what you were trying to say. But the point of this topic was to congratulate Armanti on taking the record, but once again Elon and App fans have turned this topic into a "We have 3 championships, you have no playoff appearances" topic once again.

is that better or worse than turning it into an "elon takes cheap shots when sexually frustrated on the field" topic?

AppIAA
October 20th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Elon and App fans have turned this topic into a "We have 3 championships, you have no playoff appearances" topic once again.

While App fans have chimed in (Me included) to expand it to more of an argument than needed, I would like to point out it was an Elon-er who said

and started it all... I sense jealousy!!

MasonJar
October 20th, 2009, 11:00 AM

follow me here....

just a bit more....

Speaking of spinning... a washing machine works hard too, but...

How many (Riddle/Ediwards):

Payton Awards (0/1) (Riddle could possibly equal/pass this total)
How many NC's (0/2) (Riddle could possibly equal this total)
How many playoff wins (0/9) (Riddle can't touch this stat)
How many SC Championships (0/3) (Riddle can't touch this)
Total Interceptions (30/27) *current (even with 9 more games, Armanti is better)
Total touchdowns accountable for (110/122) *current
Total Average Yards Per game (294/276.5) *entering this season xchinscratchx This surprised me.
Winning percentage as starter (.690/.857) *current (don't believe Riddle can touch this)
All American (0/3) (Riddle can't touch this)
All SoCon first team (0/2) (Riddle can possibly equal this)

IMO, the playoff stats are an earned benefit and should be counted in the stats.

Hopefully I compiled these figures correctly...

Appears to me that Armanti's better is better than Riddles better!

xrulesx xeyebrowx xblahblahx xnottalkingx xscanx xpeacex

MasonJar
October 20th, 2009, 11:06 AM

And how many playoff wins does Elon have?xcoffeex

theasushow
October 20th, 2009, 11:23 AM

when a team in preparing to play asu, there is always 1 question asked...how do we stop armanti edwards?? and most teams feel if they can slow him down then they have a chance to win (look at richmond last year). not so sure that is the case with riddle as he is not a duel threat quarterback. as a fan i was way more nervous about playing against jayson foster.

i will say that the hudgins-riddle combination is probably the best 1-2 punch in the socon as far as reciever-qb in quite some time. (although williams-fowlkes wasnt bad either)

ps.sorry i didnt mean to post that in response to what "masonjar" said, my fault.

ElonPride
October 20th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Speaking of spinning... a washing machine works hard too, but...

How many (Riddle/Ediwards):

Total Average Yards Per game (294/276.5) *entering this season xchinscratchx This surprised me.

Why was that surprising? Riddle Averaged 347 his freshman year! He just doesn't need to carry such a huge load anymore with a running game established!

elon77
October 20th, 2009, 12:05 PM

My poke was at CID1990 and no one else. The Citadel has been in the Socon since 500BC and Elon only a few years. I was simply asking how many times lately has The Citadel been to the playoffs and how is it working for them this year? Hey, I know Elon has stumbled late in the season the last 2 years, but there are a lot of people who remember when Elon wasn't good enough to stumble, including me.

appmaj
October 20th, 2009, 12:08 PM
I am hoping both teams continue to win. Would be nice to see a Top 10 SoCon Match up

PhoenixSupreme
October 20th, 2009, 12:12 PM
I am hoping both teams continue to win. Would be nice to see a Top 10 SoCon Match up

I agree...it would certainly do a lot of good for the conference, in that some people this year see the SoCon as having a down year.

CID1990
October 20th, 2009, 01:16 PM

We haven't been since 1992.

We are not good this year.

The price of tea in China is 22 cents a pound.

Feel better?

Armanti Edwards is still the closer here.

MasonJar
October 20th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Why was that surprising? Riddle Averaged 347 his freshman year! He just doesn't need to carry such a huge load anymore with a running game established!

Because AE puts up so many sick numbers passing and rushing, and first look at SR's rushing totals, he had net rushing yards of -73 for 2007 and 2008. This highlights his ability as a passer, but rusher, not so much.

MasonJar
October 20th, 2009, 01:43 PM

This argument is analogous to a Tom Brady or Dan Marino comparison. I like Dan the most, but if I get the Superbowl wins that come with Tom Brady, I am taking Brady. xtwocentsx And in my earlier post, I am only counting two NC's in the Argument. xsmiley_wix

I also think, without sounding too backhandedly arrogant, the fact thatthe Armanti Edwards actually passed an Elon player for a record is impressive, intending to give props to Riddle. xpeacex

As someone else stated. I hope we are both unscathed in conference come time for our match-up!

ElonPride
October 20th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I also think, without sounding too backhandedly arrogant, the fact thatthe Armanti Edwards actually passed an Elon player for a record is impressive, intending to give props to Riddle. xpeacex

Is that a statement you EVER thought to make? Seeing that Elon was a constant doormat for the first few years in the SoCon, it is impressive to see how far the program has come in such a short time.

You know, it wasn't too long ago that App fans were calling for Moore's head! I think I remember reading that on the old escribe board. My, my, how times change!

Skjellyfetti
October 20th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Is that a statement you EVER thought to make? Seeing that Elon was a constant doormat for the first few years in the SoCon, it is impressive to see how far the program has come in such a short time.

You know, it wasn't too long ago that App fans were calling for Moore's head! I think I remember reading that on the old escribe board. My, my, how times change!

And it was only a few weeks ago that Elon fans were wondering if time to fire Lembo. xwhistlex xlolx

On the other hand, we have choked the last 2 seasons and missed the playoffs. If we miss the playoffs again, with this team, Hudgins a senior, veteran O Line, and Riddle. I for one anticipate myself starting some real grumbling about a possible coaching change. Am I completely alone in this? Just wondering..........

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63959&highlight=lembo

PhoenixSupreme
October 20th, 2009, 04:56 PM
And it was only a few weeks ago that Elon fans were wondering if time to fire Lembo. xwhistlex xlolx

That was just one guy who brought that up. It's ridicuous to assume a whole fanbase feels that way from the posts of one guy

Skjellyfetti
October 20th, 2009, 05:15 PM
That was just one guy who brought that up. It's ridicuous to assume a whole fanbase feels that way from the posts of one guy

And App's whole fanbase wasn't calling for Jerry Moore's head in 2004. Works both ways.

gophoenix
October 20th, 2009, 05:25 PM
And App's whole fanbase wasn't calling for Jerry Moore's head in 2004. Works both ways.

And the fact that anyone in either fan base at all was doing it is just plain out crazy.

gophoenix
October 20th, 2009, 05:27 PM
My poke was at CID1990 and no one else. The Citadel has been in the Socon since 500BC and Elon only a few years. I was simply asking how many times lately has The Citadel been to the playoffs and how is it working for them this year? Hey, I know Elon has stumbled late in the season the last 2 years, but there are a lot of people who remember when Elon wasn't good enough to stumble, including me.

Oh no, we stumbled back then too. It was like running fast down a mountain and then tripping, rolling back then. Or like Homer Simpson trying to jump the gorge on a skateboard.

gophoenix
October 20th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Sigh

This blew up fast.

The original post is what it is about. Passing yards. Not who is better. Number of throws doesn't matter, completion percentage doesn't matter, who has thrown an average longer ball doesn't matter. Riddle is geared towards an offense that is a throw first run second, and is geared around the short throw. Of course he's going to have more attempts.

Rushing, whatever else. It doesn't matter. This is about passing yards only. Can AE do what Riddle can? Maybe, but the offense isn't geared around him doing that either. So even that is hard to say. You can also make the case that App, being the better team, has had better protection for AE too, to add to his stats, where Riddle pretty much hasn't had that kind of protection, at least until this year. A comparison of the two otherwise, isn't a comparison, it's opinion.

AE is the better player. Riddle a better passer? Maybe? Could be? There's nothing much else to say for it. Even if Armanti holds it the rest of the year, Riddle has another year to get just that little bit to break it, and most likely will barring a career ending injury (which concerns me with him punting right now)

WOCO
October 20th, 2009, 06:15 PM
I can only say one thing. We, (Wofford) are getting better. We played app HARD saturday and if riddle was thier quarterback, we would have won. AE is a magician. He got out of situations that would have been sacks on 99% of QB's in the nation (The game will be replayed on CSS thursday at 11:00 pm. Set your DVR). I have to call a spade a spade. He is a freak. AE does things that you shouldn't be able to do (except cut grass). AE plays like Michael Vick when Vick is having a great game, but AE does it on a reagular basis. When its big time, he plays even better. Everybody looking at numbers should consider how many yards AE gets after he should have been sacked. Sorry elon fans, no hate, but there is no comparison! AE all day. I want to win national titles, not be a playoff CONTENDER! Only one gets me there.

PS: all that said, riddle will probably end up with more passing yards xblahblahxxblahblahxxblahblahxxblahblahxxblahblahx

PhoenixMan
October 20th, 2009, 06:22 PM

Yep, that was me that posted that. If (and I don't think it will happen this time around) there is a late season meltdown, and we miss the playoffs again, (which is what I said in the first post) I stand by it.

WOCO
October 20th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Yep, that was me that posted that. If (and I don't think it will happen this time around) there is a late season meltdown, and we miss the playoffs again, (which is what I said in the first post) I stand by it.

Elon should get in this year. The Socon is down. It's only app, elon and maybe furman this year. If you guys don't make it, there may be a question out there. The only reason belichick is a great coach is because of TB. What happens when riddle leaves. The truth may come out. Plus I don't know that you all had a meltdown as much as you didn't reach the tough part of your season until the end.

PhoenixMan
October 20th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Elon should get in this year. The Socon is down. It's only app, elon and maybe furman this year. If you guys don't make it, there may be a question out there. The only reason belichick is a great coach is because of TB. What happens when riddle leaves. The truth may come out. Plus I don't know that you all had a meltdown as much as you didn't reach the tough part of your season until the end.

55-20 loss to Wofford at home........even worse, 26-3 loss to Liberty. Our high flying offense couldn't put one in the end zone. MELT Down. I am very confident in the team this year...they are more focused, and the D is much better.xbowx

KiddBrewer
October 20th, 2009, 11:11 PM

Q 1) Every year, since 2005-2006
Q 2) 3 - 0 in SoCon, 15 Straight in Socon overall xeyebrowx

hmmm

gophoenix
October 21st, 2009, 07:30 AM
I can only say one thing. We, (Wofford) are getting better. We played app HARD saturday and if riddle was thier quarterback, we would have won. AE is a magician. He got out of situations that would have been sacks on 99% of QB's in the nation (The game will be replayed on CSS thursday at 11:00 pm. Set your DVR). I have to call a spade a spade. He is a freak. AE does things that you shouldn't be able to do (except cut grass). AE plays like Michael Vick when Vick is having a great game, but AE does it on a reagular basis. When its big time, he plays even better. Everybody looking at numbers should consider how many yards AE gets after he should have been sacked. Sorry elon fans, no hate, but there is no comparison! AE all day. I want to win national titles, not be a playoff CONTENDER! Only one gets me there.

PS: all that said, riddle will probably end up with more passing yards xblahblahxxblahblahxxblahblahxxblahblahxxblahblahx

If Riddle was App's QB, then the offense wouldn't be geared around the plays that it is. In other words, it ISN'T COMPARABLE.

Cripes.

ElonPride
October 21st, 2009, 07:58 AM
55-20 loss to Wofford at home........even worse, 26-3 loss to Liberty. Our high flying offense couldn't put one in the end zone. MELT Down. I am very confident in the team this year...they are more focused, and the D is much better.xbowx

This D is pretty good. I think the Wake game exposed all the open holes, with Lembo and crew quickly correcting them.

If Shuman stays healthy the remainder of the season, I am very confident this team will get into the playoffs.

MasonJar
October 21st, 2009, 09:35 AM

I have always been on the Jerry Moore bandwagon and have never called for his head!xbandwagonx However, I did want to get rid of the cloud-of-dust run-the-ball offense of the 90's, and that finally got taken care of! (ironically, now we are worried about the defense)!

Maybe I "hoped" to make a statement like that. The stronger the teams in the conference, the stronger the conference. I think it strange that for a while, the attitude around the conference (emmm Furman and GaSouthern) was that the only reason ASU could win was because those programs were down. Keep rising up Elon, maybe you can pull some others up on your coattails!

I'm really not trying to smack anyone on this... just win baby and the rest will take care of itself. I think Elon knows that, they just have to find a way over the hump to post-season glory.

MasonJar
October 21st, 2009, 09:42 AM
If Riddle was App's QB, then the offense wouldn't be geared around the plays that it is. In other words, it ISN'T COMPARABLE.

Cripes.

Exactly, so look at the really important stats; winning percentage, socon championships, national championships, All-American, All-SoCon...xreadx

SoCon48
October 21st, 2009, 11:44 AM

Let's see him pass AE in total yards and total TD's.

SoCon48
October 21st, 2009, 11:46 AM
And the fact that anyone in either fan base at all was doing it is just plain out crazy.

Totally agree.

ElonPride
October 21st, 2009, 12:23 PM
Let's see him pass AE in total yards and total TD's.

Total TDs is a possibility. I could be mistaken, but I believe an earlier post said AE has 122 to Riddle's 110.

Waco Kid
October 21st, 2009, 12:28 PM
Lets look at it this way. AE could perform just as well in the pass happy Elon offense as he does in our more balanced approach. Riddle on the other hand would not be effective in the ASU offense since he can't run the ball very well.

elonfan06
October 21st, 2009, 01:13 PM
Lets look at it this way. AE could perform just as well in the pass happy Elon offense as he does in our more balanced approach. Riddle on the other hand would not be effective in the ASU offense since he can't run the ball very well.

Here is the thing, you are talking about two different systems. Someone said that "system vs. system" was a cop out but in reality all systems at all levels change based on the quarterback. Look at Wofford over the last few years, yes, they continue to run the wing option but you also have to look at how much more they have thrown the ball based on the ability/talent of their QB. You think that if Moore had Riddle that his system wouldn't change? You're nuts! Just like if I were to think that Lembo wouldn't use more of a West Coast style with more options/QB running if Elon were to have AE. It's not exactly an apples to apples comparison between the players (Pocket vs. Scramble) and systems (Throwing vs. West Coast/Running). Additionally, we have thrown the ball a LOT less this year than year one and that is because we had a better line and RBs.

All things said AE is a VERY good QB and will make his way onto the Sunday stage (not as a QB mind you). Riddle will go on to surpass the 22 yard difference (either on the first play or by the end of the first series Saturday) and then go on the set the bench mark if not at the end of this season it will happen next season.

SoCon48
October 21st, 2009, 01:13 PM

VS whom???

SoCon48
October 21st, 2009, 01:15 PM

SoCon records:

completions in a season

Hell, he throws 100 a game it seems like. Check percentages and interceotionms, Then talk.

SoCon48
October 21st, 2009, 01:18 PM

Did you play LSU and Michigan?

SoCon48
October 21st, 2009, 01:21 PM

follow me here....

just a bit more....

Including games he was injured especailly after the Elon guy speared him when he was already down.

PhoenixMan
October 21st, 2009, 01:29 PM
Hell, he throws 100 a game it seems like. Check percentages and interceotionms, Then talk.

AE has a slightly better percentage I think. As for interceptions, that is yet another SoCon record that Riddle holds. 218 without a pick. xbowx

ElonPride
October 21st, 2009, 01:34 PM
AE has a slightly better percentage I think. As for interceptions, that is yet another SoCon record that Riddle holds. 218 without a pick. xbowx

You beat me to it!

Skjellyfetti
October 21st, 2009, 01:47 PM
Elon fans are ridiculously annoying.

SideLine Shooter
October 21st, 2009, 01:50 PM

Including games he was injured especailly after the Elon guy speared him when he was already down.

You are exactly right. Let it go. Everyone in Alamance County knows that Riddle is the best quarterback to ever play the game of football. Let it go.

PhoenixMan
October 21st, 2009, 01:55 PM
1) Riddle is an outstanding QB, primarily a pocket passer type, a good enough athlete to punt and play on the baseball team. The best Elon has had, and one of the best the SoCon has had. Thus far he has won......well, nothing to speak of. 2) AE is a great QB that is an awesome all around athlete, running and throwing. One of the best the SoCon has ever had. He has National Championships. This argument is played out. Let's resume on Nov. 14. As for now, die thread.....die.

elonfan06
October 21st, 2009, 01:56 PM
You are exactly right. Let it go. Everyone in Alamance County knows that Riddle is the best quarterback to ever play the game of football. Let it go.

Wow an App fan saying that Riddle is the best quarterback to ever play football? Thanks!......

oh did I put words into your mouth? xthumbsupxxwhistlex

SideLine Shooter
October 21st, 2009, 01:59 PM
Wow an App fan saying that Riddle is the best quarterback to ever play football? Thanks!......

oh did I put words into your mouth? xthumbsupxxwhistlex

Not at all. I'm just going on what the Alamance Co. people say.xlolx

Skjellyfetti
October 21st, 2009, 02:31 PM
Elon fans are ridiculously obnoxious. xlolx

We still have a lot of football left... and against teams I hate a whole lot more in Georgia Southern and Furman... but, the Elon game is going to be extra special this year.

phoenixphanatic21
October 21st, 2009, 02:58 PM
Elon fans are ridiculously obnoxious. xlolx

We still have a lot of football left... and against teams I hate a whole lot more in Georgia Southern and Furman... but, the Elon game is going to be extra special this year.

We're not up there with Georgia Southern or Furman yet? Darn, we fans haven't been doing enough apparently. xlolx

And seriously, can we just kill this thread already and wait until November 14th? Please?

Saint3333
October 21st, 2009, 03:07 PM
We're not up there with Georgia Southern or Furman yet? Darn, we fans haven't been doing enough apparently. xlolx

And seriously, can we just kill this thread already and wait until November 14th? Please?

I'd say the Elon fans (well at least the ones I didn't see before 2009) are up there "hate" wise, but as far as football program "hate" it would take Elon beating ASU consistently over a decade or so before you'd approach GSU or Furman status.

Skjellyfetti
October 21st, 2009, 03:09 PM
We're not up there with Georgia Southern or Furman yet? Darn, our football team hasn't been doing enough against App apparently. xlolx

FIFY

phoenixphanatic21
October 21st, 2009, 03:11 PM
I'd say the Elon fans (well at least the ones I didn't see before 2009) are up there "hate" wise, but as far as football program "hate" it would take Elon beating ASU consistently over a decade or so before you'd approach GSU or Furman status.

Yea, I figured it would take our football team a lil while to catch up with them, since we don't have 1/4 of the history that you guys have with Furman and Georgia Southern.

Waco Kid
October 21st, 2009, 03:42 PM
Here is the thing, you are talking about two different systems. Someone said that "system vs. system" was a cop out but in reality all systems at all levels change based on the quarterback. Look at Wofford over the last few years, yes, they continue to run the wing option but you also have to look at how much more they have thrown the ball based on the ability/talent of their QB. You think that if Moore had Riddle that his system wouldn't change? You're nuts! Just like if I were to think that Lembo wouldn't use more of a West Coast style with more options/QB running if Elon were to have AE. It's not exactly an apples to apples comparison between the players (Pocket vs. Scramble) and systems (Throwing vs. West Coast/Running). Additionally, we have thrown the ball a LOT less this year than year one and that is because we had a better line and RBs.

All things said AE is a VERY good QB and will make his way onto the Sunday stage (not as a QB mind you). Riddle will go on to surpass the 22 yard difference (either on the first play or by the end of the first series Saturday) and then go on the set the bench mark if not at the end of this season it will happen next season.

You missed the point my friend. AE has the tools to play in basically any offense in college while Riddle is a true pocket passer. A coach wouldn't have to change their system for AE since he has the ability to do well throwing, running, or both.

Now I'm not busting on Riddle (he is a very good passer), but he isn't as versatile as Edwards.

Waco Kid
October 21st, 2009, 03:45 PM
Come on Elon fans don't wave the white flag just yet...

ElonPride
October 21st, 2009, 03:54 PM
Come on Elon fans don't wave the white flag just yet...

No white flag, just bored! xdeadhorsex

Not sure what else either side can argue!

The one thing I would like add is that AE pretty much inherited a good program. Riddle and Co. had a huge mountain to climb to national prominence....EHHH...that's been said already.

Anyway, I am looking forward to the Elon/App showdown. I'm sure that whomever wins, the winning QB will have the record for passing yards! :D

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 21st, 2009, 03:57 PM
There's one factor that I think people overlook with Scott Riddle - and that is Terrell Hudgins. The guy has insane receiving yardage so far. He has been almost half of Riddle's passing yards. Coco Hillary and Brian Quick are good but they just aren't quite like Hudgins. Hudgins could very well end up with 5000 career receiving yards.

PhoenixMan
October 21st, 2009, 04:05 PM
There's one factor that I think people overlook with Scott Riddle - and that is Terrell Hudgins. The guy has insane receiving yardage so far. He has been almost half of Riddle's passing yards. Coco Hillary and Brian Quick are good but they just aren't quite like Hudgins. Hudgins could very well end up with 5000 career receiving yards.

good point, but Jerry Rice needed Montana also. Figured the Apps would like the comparison....ever notice that Riddle wears #16 like Joe did?xnodx

SoCon48
October 22nd, 2009, 08:32 AM

Edwards 69.4 Riddle 63.8
Effic: Edwards 153.5 Riddle 146.5

Back2theROCK!
October 22nd, 2009, 09:03 AM
Everyone else is chiming in so I thought I would too.
The debate seems to be who is the better QB or to make it more of a apples to apples comparison, who is the better passer?

When i think about a great passing QB I think about PASS EFFICIENCY because it's nice to have a lot of yards but if you've got not as many TD's or worse, more intersecptions then that would hurt you as a great passing QB.

While I think Riddle and Edwards are both at the top of the list when it comes to QB's in the SOCON (passing or not) it looks like Riddle actually is number 3 this season when it comes to Pass Efficiencyxrolleyesx

PASS EFFICIENCY Cl G Comp-Att-Int Pct. Yards TD Long Effic.
1. Armanti Edwards-ASU SR 3 68 - 91 - 0 74.7 936 4 74 175.6
2. Mitch Allen-WOF SO 3 13 - 26 - 4 50.0 259 4 66 153.7
3. Scott Riddle-ELON JR 3 78 - 122 - 2 63.9 932 4 55 135.6
4. B.J. Coleman-UTC SO 4 86 - 135 - 1 63.7 858 8 54 135.2
5. Jordan Sorrells-FUR SR 4 75 - 123 - 1 61.0 788 5 48 126.6
6. Bart Blanchard-CIT JR 3 34 - 56 - 2 60.7 313 4 29 124.1
7. Lee Chapple-GSU SO 4 85 - 126 - 3 67.5 690 5 46 121.8
8. Miguel Starks-CIT FR 3 15 - 24 - 0 62.5 101 0 15 97.8
9. Dustin Taliaferro- SAM SO 4 80 - 134 - 3 59.7 660 0 39 96.6
10. Zack Jaynes- WCU SO 4 54 - 100 - 5 54.0 600 0 44 94.4

But like I said they are both great quaterbacks.....although one is more afraid to take a hit then the other....xwhistlex Had to stir the pot a bit...

PhoenixSupreme
October 22nd, 2009, 09:07 AM

I sort of made that point a bit earlier in the thread in saying that without the O-Line to block and without the receivers to catch, the QBs would not look as good as they currently do.

Personally....I hope Armanti Edwards and Scott Riddle come in dead even in the SoCon passing yards race coming into the Elon/App. St. game......that would make it that much more epic

Back2theROCK!
October 22nd, 2009, 09:16 AM
The debate seems to be who is the better QB or to make it more of a apples to apples comparison, who is the better passer?

When i think about a great passing QB I think about PASS EFFICIENCY because it's nice to have a lot of yards but if you've got not as many TD's or worse, more intersecptions then that would hurt you as a great passing QB.

While I think Riddle and Edwards are both at the top of the list when it comes to QB's in the SOCON (passing or not) it looks like Riddle actually is number 3 this season when it comes to Pass Efficiencyxrolleyesx

But like I said they are both great quaterbacks.....although one is more afraid to take a hit then the other....xwhistlex Had to stir the pot a bit...

ok so the above stats were only for SOCON games....here are the season as a whole..
1. Armanti Edwards-ASU SR 5 104 - 145 - 1 71.7 1408 5 74 163.3
2. Scott Riddle-ELON JR 6 149 - 234 - 2 63.7 1799 13 55 144.9
3. B.J. Coleman-UTC SO 6 120 - 198 - 1 60.6 1340 11 73 134.8
4. Jordan Sorrells-FUR SR 6 123 - 192 - 3 64.1 1323 9 48 134.3
5. Bart Blanchard-CIT JR 6 91 - 149 - 7 61.1 887 11 41 126.0
6. Mitch Allen-WOF SO 6 24 - 52 - 5 46.2 409 5 66 124.7
7. Lee Chapple-GSU SO 7 154 - 235 - 9 65.5 1188 7 46 110.2
8. Zack Jaynes-WCU SO 6 88 - 157 - 6 56.1 951 2 54 103.5
9. Dustin Taliaferro-SAM SO 7 123 - 213 - 5 57.7 1111 4 55 103.1

TOTAL OFFENSE Cl G Rush Pass Plays Total Yds/G
1. Armanti Edwards-ASU SR 5 283 1408 205 1691 338.2
2. Scott Riddle-ELON JR 6 -5 1799 257 1794 299.0
3. Jordan Sorrells-FUR SR 6 87 1323 208 1410 235.0
4. B.J. Coleman-UTC SO 6 -57 1340 214 1283 213.8
5. Dustin Taliaferro-SAM SO 7 50 1111 272 1161 165.9
6. Zack Jaynes-WCU SO 6 -16 951 199 935 155.8
7. Bart Blanchard-CIT JR 6 37 887 182 924 154.0
8. Lee Chapple-GSU SO 7 -115 1188 274 1073 153.3
9. Mitch Allen-WOF SO 6 293 409 125 702 117.0
10. Devon Moore-ASU JR 6 668 0 119 668 111.3

PASSING AVG/GAME Cl G Comp-Att-Int Pct. Yards TD Long Avg/G
1. Scott Riddle-ELON JR 6 149 - 234 - 2 63.7 1799 13 55 299.8
2. Armanti Edwards-ASU SR 5 104 - 145 - 1 71.7 1408 5 74 281.6
3. B.J. Coleman-UTC SO 6 120 - 198 - 1 60.6 1340 11 73 223.3
4. Jordan Sorrells-FUR SR 6 123 - 192 - 3 64.1 1323 9 48 220.5
5. Lee Chapple-GSU SO 7 154 - 235 - 9 65.5 1188 7 46 169.7
6. Dustin Taliaferro-SAM SO 7 123 - 213 - 5 57.7 1111 4 55 158.7
7. Zack Jaynes-WCU SO 6 88 - 157 - 6 56.1 951 2 54 158.5
8. Bart Blanchard-CIT JR 6 91 - 149 - 7 61.1 887 11 41 147.8
9. Mitch Allen-WOF SO 6 24 - 52 - 5 46.2 409 5 66 68.2
10. Miguel Starks-CIT FR 6 17 - 28 - 0 60.7 121 0 15 20.2

SCORING (TDs) Cl G TD Rush Pass Ret. PAT Pts Pts/G
1. Armanti Edwards-ASU SR 5 8 8 0 0 0 48 9.6
2. Tersoo Uhaa-FUR SO 6 8 8 0 0 0 48 8.0
3. Terrell Hudgins-ELON SR 6 7 0 7 0 0 42 7.0
4. Devon Moore-ASU JR 6 6 6 0 0 0 36 6.0
5. Chris Evans-SAM JR 7 6 6 0 0 0 36 5.1
6. Andre Roberts-CIT SR 6 5 0 5 0 0 30 5.0
7. Adam Urbano-GSU SO 7 5 5 0 0 0 30 4.3
8. Chris Awuah-UTC FR 6 4 3 1 0 0 24 4.0
Alex Sellars-CIT JR 6 4 0 4 0 0 24 4.0
10. Dion Wilson-WCU FR 5 3 3 0 0 0 18 3.6

SCORING Cl G TD FG XPT 2XP Pts Pts/G
1. Jason Vitaris-ASU JR 6 0 11 25 0 58 9.7
2. Armanti Edwards-ASU SR 5 8 0 0 0 48 9.6
3. Tersoo Uhaa-FUR SO 6 8 0 0 0 48 8.0
Adam Shreiner-ELON FR 6 0 9 21 0 48 8.0
5. Adrian Mora-GSU SO 7 0 12 14 0 50 7.1
6. Terrell Hudgins-ELON SR 6 7 0 0 0 42 7.0
7. Matthew Cesari-FUR SR 6 0 8 16 0 40 6.7
8. Devon Moore-ASU JR 6 6 0 0 0 36 6.0
9. Craig Camay-UTC SR 6 0 6 17 0 35 5.8
10. Cameron Yaw-SAM FR 7 0 8 14 0 38 5.4

Like I said....both are great QB's.xthumbsupx

ElonPride
October 22nd, 2009, 12:33 PM

I can't imagine what this offense would look like if both Micahel Mayers and T-Mobile had 4 years at WR together. They have the NCAA record for yards caught for a WR tandem in a single season. Mayers finished the year with around 1100 with Hudgins having slightly more.

ASU_Fanatic
October 22nd, 2009, 03:25 PM
Ha I didn't know Riddle had that much.

SoCon48
October 22nd, 2009, 04:21 PM

Good info.

WOCO
October 22nd, 2009, 04:46 PM
Yes, SR will end up with more yards. But only one will be in the small circle of people that are considered to be the best ever to play in the FCS/1AA. Case closed

CrackerRiley
October 22nd, 2009, 04:54 PM
Hey something that hasn't been brought up....

Total yards > passing yards

OH, wait. nvmxwhistlex

asu3peat
October 22nd, 2009, 06:05 PM
My QB pisses farther than your QB!

Which one is better at darts?

ElonPride
October 22nd, 2009, 07:57 PM
Hey something that hasn't been brought up....

Total yards > passing yards

OH, wait. nvmxwhistlex

Something that hasn't been brought up......Elon's ranked higher than App.xeekx

Once again, this thread is about passing yards, not total yards. This thread got out of hand and off topic on both sides (including me) very quickly.

Skjellyfetti
October 22nd, 2009, 09:33 PM

...As of October 22. Elon doesn't like playing football after October.

Elon record in November last 4 years: 5-11 with a lot of losses to teams they should have beaten
App record in November last 4 years: 14-1 only loss to LSU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t31HcoG3ME

Saint3333
October 23rd, 2009, 08:35 AM

Once again, this thread is about passing yards, not total yards. This thread got out of hand and off topic on both sides (including me) very quickly.

Clap...Clap...Clap...

We really need an emotion to portray the "slow clap".

CrackerRiley
October 23rd, 2009, 09:13 AM
Clap...Clap...Clap...

There's this.... xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapx

gophoenix
October 23rd, 2009, 09:16 AM
Clap...Clap...Clap...

-sigh-

This is still going? All pertinent information was used up about 70 posts ago.....

PhoenixSupreme
October 23rd, 2009, 09:18 AM
-sigh-

This is still going? All pertinent information was used up about 70 posts ago.....

Why hasn't this been moved to the Smack thread yet? It's certainly no longer a discussion

Waco Kid
October 23rd, 2009, 09:19 AM
Clap...Clap...Clap...

Ah yes changing the subject... a sure sign of defeat by the Eloaner faithful.

gophoenix
October 23rd, 2009, 09:21 AM
Why hasn't this been moved to the Smack thread yet? It's certainly no longer a discussion

Yeah, no kidding....

SoCon48
October 23rd, 2009, 11:13 AM
How close is Riddle to having the SoCon's all time attempts?

Saint3333
October 23rd, 2009, 12:18 PM
-sigh-

Thus the need for the slow clap.

appst97
October 25th, 2009, 10:31 AM
-sigh-

Edwards stretched out his lead yesterday, that is pertinantxsmiley_wix