PDA

View Full Version : Game of the Week - Week 8

89Hen
October 19th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Two huge MVC games, perhaps a PL elimination game, a big CAA N-S game and a few other goodies....

skinny_uncle
October 19th, 2009, 09:55 AM
It looks like the Penguin fans haven't showed up yet.
xlolx

89Hen
October 19th, 2009, 09:56 AM
It looks like the Penguin fans haven't showed up yet.
xlolx
You mean haven't come back yet. xsmiley_wix

93henfan
October 19th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Interested to see how the Panthers rebound.

813Jag
October 19th, 2009, 09:57 AM
this is by no means a claim that this could be game of the week, but Southern hosts PV on Thursday night, which could go a long way in deciding the West Divison. PV hasn't won in BR since 1988 (which they had to forfeit). Should be an exciting game.

DOME
October 19th, 2009, 10:10 AM
I think the Minutemen are trying to play spoiler this year...could be good.
Also interested to see if 'Gate and or HC are legit.
Hope the UNI game is a no-contest in our favor...I 'HOPE'
EIU @ J'ville St should be good.

AppAlum2003
October 19th, 2009, 10:13 AM
It'll be interesting to see how Northern Iowa responds this weekend. I think that could be a heck of a game. Any TV coverage anywhere?

Saluki09
October 19th, 2009, 10:14 AM
It was between UNI @ SDSU and UMASS @ Richmond for me. UMass and UNI are in precarious situations right now. Both are likely to win out after this week. It seems UNI needs the win more though because if they both lose and end up 8-3 UMass has a better resume with a win over UNH whereas UNI wouldn't have any notable wins (good close losses yes, but that only counts so much).

skinny_uncle
October 19th, 2009, 10:15 AM
It'll be interesting to see how Northern Iowa responds this weekend. I think that could be a heck of a game. Any TV coverage anywhere?

I think UNI will bounce back. They are still a very good team.

89Hen
October 19th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Hope the UNI game is a no-contest in our favor...I 'HOPE'
EIU @ J'ville St should be good.
I think UNI/SDSU should be good and JSU a no-contest. xpeacex

GeauxLions94
October 19th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Hmmm, I need to think about that one xchinscratchx

4th and What?
October 19th, 2009, 10:47 AM
I see four real good ones I will be watching there.

I went with Richmond/Umass. I've been pretty vocal about how unimpressed I have been with Richmond so far this year, but even I voted them #1 this week based on their resume. If they can win decisively over Umass, I'll shut my mouth. I think this will be the first of three losses for Richmond though.

The way things are looking, the Colgate/Holy Cross winner should win the PL. It's also Colgate's only real test this year. If they end up as the only undefeated team (or Montana?) this will be their signature win for the year.

UNI/SD St is a big game for both teams. UNI for obvious reasons coming off a loss, and this is there last chance for any real decent win this year. Is this a must win for UNI to make the playoffs? SD St still has a game with SIU and has the blowout win over GSU (which doesn't mean too much anymore) to hang their hats on, but still a big game for them.

Montana St/EWU - Montana St fans didn't get the respect they wanted after the Weber St win, this is the next big test for them. This may end up being a must win for either team to get into the playoffs.

89Hen
October 19th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Montana St/EWU - Montana St fans didn't get the respect they wanted after the Weber St win, this is the next big test for them. This may end up being a must win for either team to get into the playoffs.
EWU has not had their playoff suspension lifted yet. They and Jacksonville State can really deal their respective conferences a blow by beating everyone else and not having the NCAA reverse course. xeyebrowx

ASUG8
October 19th, 2009, 11:04 AM
UNI/SDSU for sure. Richmond/Maine should be entertaining also.

Ivytalk
October 19th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Colgate-HC for me. It's a PL elimination game.

4th and What?
October 19th, 2009, 11:09 AM
EWU has not had their playoff suspension lifted yet. They and Jacksonville State can really deal their respective conferences a blow by beating everyone else and not having the NCAA reverse course. xeyebrowx

They do have their appeal in though, but if they have losses to both Montana St and Weber St they won't get into the playoffs regardless.

And I fully trust the NCAA to give EWU a fair, understanding look regarding their appeal......

ISUMatt
October 19th, 2009, 11:18 AM
UNI @ SDSU is THE game for me...only cuz Illinois St is on a bye!!!

UMass922
October 19th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Went with the Patriot League game. Like FAMU-ScST last week, Holy Cross-Colgate is probably a conference title game.

That said, my attention will obviously be focused elsewhere.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 19th, 2009, 11:28 AM
UNI/SDSU for sure. Richmond/Maine should be entertaining also.

I predict at 38-21 Richmond win

MacThor
October 19th, 2009, 11:29 AM
I went with Richmond/Umass. I've been pretty vocal about how unimpressed I have been with Richmond so far this year

Just like you were last year. xsmiley_wix

Saint3333
October 19th, 2009, 11:36 AM
If game of the week is dictated by playoffs implications UNI likely wins it, but from a pure one game as a football fan that would be the best game to see, it would hands down be GSU @ ASU. Two of the best FCS programs ever, rivalry game, Black Saturday with 30K crazy fans, in a game were season results to date mean nothing you know you're going to get a good game. Check out the last three years:

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/southern/appalachian_state/opponents_records.php?teamid=1270

It doesn't get any better than this in the FCS.

jstclmet
October 19th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Lots of good ones, but I took the CAA homer pick, UMass @ UR. Although, I think UR wins easily.

Colgate/HC might be more fun to watch.

KAUMASS
October 19th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Lots of good ones, but I took the CAA homer pick, UMass @ UR. Although, I think UR wins easily.

Colgate/HC might be more fun to watch.

So, you must be picking UR easily over Villanova on Nov 7th as well...

Henwatcher
October 19th, 2009, 12:24 PM
I predict at 38-21 Richmond win

I like that score, also. I'll go so far as to say that I think Maine will hang close in the first half, but the real Richmond team will show up for the second half. Just hard to pick any other score than 38-21.

Buzzcut
October 19th, 2009, 01:15 PM
UNI/SDSU - UNI must man up here and make an appearance on both sides of the ball.

Should also be interesting to see how badly Jax. State takes EIU to the woodshed. If RP is clicking on all cylinders it will likely be ugly.

Fear the Bird
October 19th, 2009, 01:25 PM
If game of the week is dictated by playoffs implications UNI likely wins it, but from a pure one game as a football fan that would be the best game to see, it would hands down be GSU @ ASU. Two of the best FCS programs ever, rivalry game, Black Saturday with 30K crazy fans, in a game were season results to date mean nothing you know you're going to get a good game. Check out the last three years:

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/southern/appalachian_state/opponents_records.php?teamid=1270

It doesn't get any better than this in the FCS.

This may be somewhat naive on my part but why didn't they play for 50 years in between 1939 and 1987?

panther25
October 19th, 2009, 01:34 PM
So, you must be picking UR easily over Villanova on Nov 7th as well...

why?xlolxxlolxxlolx

R.A.
October 19th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I'm for Holy Cross in this one. I just feel like Colgate's faking the funk up. Let's see if they can prove me wrong.

Saint3333
October 19th, 2009, 01:46 PM
This may be somewhat naive on my part but why didn't they play for 50 years in between 1939 and 1987?

GSU didn't have a football program from '42-'81. That makes there play in the 80's even more special, from no team to national champs in four years.

Fear the Bird
October 19th, 2009, 01:54 PM
GSU didn't have a football program from '42-'81. That makes there play in the 80's even more special, from no team to national champs in four years.

Thanks! xthumbsupx

Go...gate
October 19th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Colgate - Holy Cross is an old rivalry and always a good game to watch.

TheValleyRaider
October 19th, 2009, 02:05 PM
I love this time of year xthumbsupx

Great conference matchups all over the place xnodx

I'll have to homer it up this week, though. Big one in the Woo, but do not count out Lafayette. They will have their say in the race before all is said and done xreadx

Uncle Buck
October 19th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Wow, what a slate of games. I went with the home cooking UMass at Richmond, but damn, UNI/SDSU should be great as well as GSU vs. App St.

Almost too many to choose. Man i love FCS football.

CrusaderBob
October 19th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Colgate - Holy Cross.

Series started in 1917. This will be the 72nd meeting over that time. Have played some big games over the years including a couple of HUGE games in '82 & '83 (back when I was a student) and the de facto PL Championship last year.

Because Lafayette is absolutely in the PL championship mix, this is technically not an elimination game, but it comes pretty darn close!

I've said it before here and in other forums, why this is not the last game on the PL schedule EVERY year for Holy Cross & Colgate is beyond me!