PDA

View Full Version : FCS Attendance Race to SoCon?

TexasTerror
October 19th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Seems that the SWAC attendance is down this year. They have only not been #1 just one time in all of their history in FCS (formerly I-AA).

Currently, they just have one school in the top 10 and from the looks of it, it is a misprint since Jackson State was credited for what should have been a home game for Southern (and by NCAA rule, will most likely end up being properly documented as a "neutral site game").

Through the three legitimate home games, they're attendance would be 9937 instead of the 15767 listed by the NCAA, placing them at 35th.

Only one other schools is in the top 30 - Southern. Last year, two teams in the top 10 including JSU at #4 and Southern at #9, plus you had Grambling in the top 30.

Article last week in Baton Rouge newspaper about efforts by Southern to boost attendance ahead of their game against Prairie View, which happens to be rare non-weekend home game for Southern due to TV.

Are there some 'heavy hitting' games left in terms of attendance at non-neutral sites that can turn it around for the SWAC? With three schools at under 5000 in the SWAC, could the SoCon take the title?

Redbird Ray
October 19th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Does anyone have a conference by conference breakdown of attendance to this point of the season?

WileECoyote06
October 19th, 2009, 09:29 AM
BTW,

1. Montana (4) - 25, 717

2. Appalachian State (3) - 25,023

3. Delaware (4) - 21,356

4. S.C. State (2) - 20,200

5. North Dakota State (3) - 17,718

And SCSU still has homecoming and a game vs A & T left in Orangeburg. I doubt the playoff committee be able to overlook that gate, when it comes to awarding home games.

Punk
October 19th, 2009, 09:51 AM
BTW,

And SCSU still has homecoming and a game vs A & T left in Orangeburg. I doubt the playoff committee be able to overlook that gate, when it comes to awarding home games.

Old Dominion has had 5 home games with 19,782 at all 5 games. They show up in the single game attendance rankings but not in the Average attendance ranking...odd.

biggie
October 19th, 2009, 10:02 AM
App's attendence has definitely been hurt by rain. Possible showers again this week. And disappointed there is no night game this year.

AppAlum2003
October 19th, 2009, 10:11 AM
App's attendence has definitely been hurt by rain. Possible showers again this week. And disappointed there is no night game this year.

Weather has been awful this year - I know plenty of "casual" attenders that avoided the last two games like the plague due to the cold and rain.

If there are not 30,000 at Black Saturday this weekend, I will be very disappointed.

PhoenixPhan06
October 19th, 2009, 10:12 AM
ASU @ Elon on 11/14 should bring 13-15k fans to Rhodes Stadium, a sell out to those unfamiliar with the capacity of Rhodes Stadium.

WileECoyote06
October 19th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Weather has been awful this year - I know plenty of "casual" attenders that avoided the last two games like the plague due to the cold and rain.

If there are not 30,000 at Black Saturday this weekend, I will be very disappointed.

I'm confused. Isn't it always cold up there? Wasn't it your homecoming game against us two weeks ago?

WestCoastAggie
October 19th, 2009, 10:15 AM
FCS ATTENDANCE AVERAGE

(Number of home games in parenthesis)

1. Montana (4) - 25, 717

2. Appalachian State (3) - 25,023

3. Delaware (4) - 21,356

4. S.C. State (2) - 20,200

5. North Dakota State (3) - 17,718

AppAlum2003
October 19th, 2009, 10:18 AM
I'm confused. Isn't it always cold up there? Wasn't it your homecoming game against us two weeks ago?

Cold is one thing... but I'd rather see 2 feet of snow than 36 degrees and torrential downpours like we've had. It absolutely poured the entire Samford game and even though it didn't rain hard during the Homecoming game, it still poured earlier that morning, keeping people away.

Keep in mind, a good number of "seats" in KBS are on the grass hill. It's hard to convince people to come sit on a wet, grassy hill for 3 1/2 hours.

93henfan
October 19th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Old Dominion has had 5 home games with 19,782 at all 5 games. They show up in the single game attendance rankings but not in the Average attendance ranking...odd.

Good point. ODU should be #5. Very impressive showing for the start-up Monarchs. xnodx

elonfan06
October 19th, 2009, 10:26 AM
For 3 home games this season Elon is at 25,971. We still have Homecoming this weekend and then Nov. 14. I have been told that only grass seating is available for the 14th and has been that way for over a week now. I agree the weather has not been the best this season, I'm impressed with the 10,000+ that showed up for the GSU game for Family weekend with the poor weather conditions. The forecast for the coming weekend isn't much better with 40% chance of Tstorms, hopefully that will change as we get closer to gameday.

Going through our numbers the attendance at Presby was only 2461. Wow.

TexasTerror
October 19th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Does anyone have a conference by conference breakdown of attendance to this point of the season?

I am sure someone could break it down if they really wanted to using the NCAAs numbers. Though I'd use my unofficial numbers as it relates to Jackson State if someone wants an accurate assessment.

I was informed by the NCAA that the SWAC, Southern and Jackson State have not informed the NCAA that it was anything other than a Jackson State home game.

Old Dominion is not even listed, unless I am missing it...

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2009/Internet/attendance/FCS_AVGATTENDANCE.pdf

Punk
October 19th, 2009, 10:32 AM
I am sure someone could break it down if they really wanted to using the NCAAs numbers. Though I'd use my unofficial numbers as it relates to Jackson State if someone wants an accurate assessment.

Old Dominion is not even listed, unless I am missing it...

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2009/Internet/attendance/FCS_AVGATTENDANCE.pdf

They aren't...that was my point.

Look here though

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2009/Internet/single%20game/FCS_teamattend.html

PhoenixSupreme
October 19th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Are there some 'heavy hitting' games left in terms of attendance at non-neutral sites that can turn it around for the SWAC? With three schools at under 5000 in the SWAC, could the SoCon take the title?

Do you have an average attendance list by conference on hand? This would be a pretty interesting tidbit of knowledge to know. Or better yet, is there an attendance list going by the percent of stadium capacity filled around somewhere?

straightshooter
October 19th, 2009, 10:34 AM
GSU's average for three home games is 17,702. None of the teams GSU played at home (Albany, WCU and Chattanooga) traveled well. Chatty was the best, and that game's (Family Weekend) attendance got wiped out by crappy, cold and very wet weather.

The final two home games at Paulson should draw well - Furman and Citadel. Expect GSU to finish the season with more than 100% capacity again.

WileECoyote06
October 19th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Cold is one thing... but I'd rather see 2 feet of snow than 36 degrees and torrential downpours like we've had. It absolutely poured the entire Samford game and even though it didn't rain hard during the Homecoming game, it still poured earlier that morning, keeping people away.

Keep in mind, a good number of "seats" in KBS are on the grass hill. It's hard to convince people to come sit on a wet, grassy hill for 3 1/2 hours.

Ohhh. . okay makes sense.

Squealofthepig
October 19th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Schools that need bigger stadiums, based on % capacity this season:

Prairie View (167, though exactly 10,000 for the season so far is a suspicious number)
New Hampshire (151)
Central Connecticut (127)
Liberty (125)
ASU (124)

Loud Crickets:
Alabama State (18)
Yale (19, though to be fair their stadium could hold Montana, ASU AND Delaware's fans)
Texas Southern (20)

ASUG8
October 19th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Due to the private schools in the SoCon and their relatively small fields the SoCon as a whole would likely be rather small compared with some others. With the exception of El Cid, ASU, GSU (Furman on the cusp) no one really regularly seats more than 14-15K. As mentioned before, a packed out Rhodes with good weather will only accomodate 12K with what is hoped to be a top 10 matchup.

DFW HOYA
October 19th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Schools that need bigger stadiums, based on % capacity this season:

Prairie View (167, though exactly 10,000 for the season so far is a suspicious number)
New Hampshire (151)
Central Connecticut (127)
Liberty (125)
ASU (124)

Georgetown (108)

The MSF is a postage stamp compared to some of its brethren, but getting people to see an 0-7 team isn't always easy.

PhoenixMan
October 19th, 2009, 11:36 AM
I know there are other areas of the country that are similar, but keep in mind that within 2-3 hours of Elon (and App, and several other SoCon schools) there is a lot of competition to get fans in your stadium. For Elon......UNC, NC State, Duke, Wake Forest, are all an hour or less away. Makes a difference.....I don't know why so many fans would want to attend a game in the division that doesn't have a true National Champion (FBS), but for some reason they do.

gophoenix
October 19th, 2009, 11:50 AM
ASU @ Elon on 11/14 should bring 13-15k fans to Rhodes Stadium, a sell out to those unfamiliar with the capacity of Rhodes Stadium.

I wouldn't get into Rhodes capacity. A certain App fan went and "counted" seats in the stadium on day and will argue the definition of capacity until he's blue in the face about it.

One thing I heard is they are bring in temporary bleachers for it....

SU Jag
October 19th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Do you have an average attendance list by conference on hand? This would be a pretty interesting tidbit of knowledge to know. Or better yet, is there an attendance list going by the percent of stadium capacity filled around somewhere?

Yeah but the "classic" games do not count as far as the attendance numbers are concerned so that won't benefit the swac's numbers. Su's numbers have been killed by our ad, we have so many fans who refuse to go to another home game until that guy is fired. He has almost killed the pre-game experience at su.

OL FU
October 19th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Somebody is holding up there end of the bargain and I am not sure it is Furman. Not sure what the homecoming attendance was but there was a lot of empty seats. I would imagine FU counts paid attendance and it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of Season ticket holders stayed home due to the weather. But the looks of hte place saturday was sparse. :(

PhoenixPhan06
October 19th, 2009, 12:25 PM
I wouldn't get into Rhodes capacity. A certain App fan went and "counted" seats in the stadium on day and will argue the definition of capacity until he's blue in the face about it.

I thought about that but couldn't figure out where they would put them.

TexasTerror
October 26th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Another rough week for the SWAC...how'd the SoCon do?

Prairie View at Southern U
Attendance: 6463

Alcorn State at Alabama State
Attendance: 2631

Jackson State at Miss Valley St
Attendance: 4025

Edward Waters at Ark-Pine Bluff
Attendance: 14853

gophoenix
October 26th, 2009, 08:15 AM
UTC @ Elon
8246 - Heavy Rain

GSU @ App
26215 - Cloudy

Furman @ The Citadel
14403 - Cloudy

Wofford @ WCU
10017 - Cloudy

gophoenix
October 26th, 2009, 08:19 AM

Behind the grassy areas, over by the scoreboard, who knows. They need to just finish the stadium around the back side by the scoreboard and make it a horseshoe when they build the field house.

biggie
October 26th, 2009, 10:00 AM
GSU @ App
26215 - Cloudy
For a slight correction, this one fooled everyone. Rained all night, sunny and almost 70 at 9am and then at 1pm started getting windy. By middle of the game it was 20mph winds, mid 40s and misting/foggy. Ran most of our fans out when combined with halftime score, as seen on TV.

Millwoch
October 26th, 2009, 10:03 AM
I know there are other areas of the country that are similar, but keep in mind that within 2-3 hours of Elon (and App, and several other SoCon schools) there is a lot of competition to get fans in your stadium. For Elon......UNC, NC State, Duke, Wake Forest, are all an hour or less away. Makes a difference.....I don't know why so many fans would want to attend a game in the division that doesn't have a true National Champion (FBS), but for some reason they do.

Take Duke off that list and add East Carolina (I know a little over an hour, but much more competition.)

biggie
October 26th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Take Duke off that list and add East Carolina (I know a little over an hour, but much more competition.)
And many head to VaTech and SC/Clem as well from the middle of NC.

SideLine Shooter
October 26th, 2009, 10:20 AM

Add to that ECU may have the best college football atmosphere in the state of North Carolina. Those people love to party!xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxnodx

PhoenixPhan06
October 26th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Behind the grassy areas, over by the scoreboard, who knows. They need to just finish the stadium around the back side by the scoreboard and make it a horseshoe when they build the field house.

We need a few extra dollars for that project. Would be nice, I agree, but real tough to raise that level of funding in this economy.

MasonJar
October 26th, 2009, 10:44 AM

Hopefully a night game in the playoffs, maybe with snow instead of rain! xprayx

elonfan06
October 26th, 2009, 11:07 AM

Talking this weekend there was no mention of bleacher seating. They have not sold out of grass seats and will pack people in on both the hills just like they did two years ago.

Grizaholic17
October 26th, 2009, 12:04 PM

Really? Below freezing and plain cold two weeks ago for homecoming, and we still drew 25,600. I know it gets cold there, it's a shame you guys can't draw the big crowd in bad weather as football season is made for bad weather

biggie
October 26th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Really? Below freezing and plain cold two weeks ago for homecoming, and we still drew 25,600. I know it gets cold there, it's a shame you guys can't draw the big crowd in bad weather as football season is made for bad weather
More people will come out for a cold dry game or a snow game. Its the 35-45 degrees and rain that sucks and keeps people away, especially when its on TV.

And its just been the difference of us have 25-26k so far, instead of 30k.

ElonPride
October 26th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Talking this weekend there was no mention of bleacher seating. They have not sold out of grass seats and will pack people in on both the hills just like they did two years ago.

When I purchased my tickets for the UTC game last week, I inquired about the App game. I was told the game IS sold out.

I-AA Fan
October 26th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Good point. ODU should be #5. Very impressive showing for the start-up Monarchs. xnodx

I think you will find that has to do with whom they are playing. They are not recognized by the NCAA as of yet. A couple more years would be my suspicion. There is also the aspect of sub-FCS games. Unless it is just an oversight.

jus10asu
October 26th, 2009, 12:59 PM
When I purchased my tickets for the UTC game last week, I inquired about the App game. I was told the game IS sold out.

Got my tix the day they went on sale for the APP / Elon game. Front row baby...I feel like ASU will have a large # of fans there this year. All my buddies are staying at the house since we live in McLeansville...can't wait..gonna be a great match up.

ElonFirefighter
October 26th, 2009, 01:02 PM

On the field in the endzone for the students, so they dont break a leg jumping off the wall when we beat APP. The only place i could think of is at the top of the grassy areas or on the corners in the grass area. I wonder how high the temp bleachers are.

elonfan06
October 26th, 2009, 01:05 PM

You might want to call back. There are still grass tickets available according the the Admins I spoke with on Saturday. I think rain has played a role in our attendance, we only had around 8500 for Homecoming Saturday and can attribute that from the rain that was coming down from 10:30-12. I don't think weather will matter if App and Elon continue to do what we all hope/think each will do the next two weeks. For those of those that were up in Boone last year we had Sun, Rain, Sleet and Snow in a great game and I hope that (and predict) the same competitive game is brewing again. Overall our attendance is up this season for having modest home games and poor weather by our terms. There must be a crack in the Elon bubble for as many rainy games as we've had this year especially on the two biggest weekends.

Willie
October 26th, 2009, 01:14 PM

Didn't hurt Montana when they played Cal Poly and it was about 15 degrees.

appst97
October 26th, 2009, 01:30 PM

Weather has certainly been an issue, but I believe our attendance may get a boost on Nov 21, when we celebrate all of the accomplishments of this years senior class. I would imagine we'll have 32000 plus. Weather be Damned!

biggie
October 26th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Didn't hurt Montana when they played Cal Poly and it was about 15 degrees.
I'll say again, cold doesn't matter, its the rain. If it was snow or just cold it wouldn't matter.