PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Prognostications - 10/18

TexasTerror
October 18th, 2009, 07:32 AM
I try to break this down more than ever before. Again, criticize all you want, but until you post your own prognostication and thoughts, we all know who has the chutzpah to do so! ;)

Automatic Bids
Big Sky: Montana
Colonial: Richmond
MEAC: South Carolina State
Missouri Valley: Southern Illinois
Ohio Valley: Eastern Kentucky
Patriot: Colgate
SoCon: Elon
Southland: Stephen F. Austin

At-Large
New Hampshire
Massachusetts
Villanova
William & Mary
South Dakota State
Northern Iowa
McNeese State
Florida A&M

Last Team In
Florida A&M - Needs to win out to get 9-2 with losses to MEAC AQ So Carolina St and Miami. With 9-2 mark, would be in heavy consideration if CAA bids begin to crumble based on losses.

Bubble Teams
Appalachian State - Okay Appy, Wofford gave you guys a scare. Win vs Georgia Southern and beat Furman on the road, I'll let you guys in. Split the games, you still run the risk of losing to Elon for four wins. A 7-4 Appy team that finishes third in the SoCon does not get in this year.
Central Connecticut State - To please our friends in the NEC - weak OOC schedule with loss in biggest game at W&M.
Delaware - 4 Div I wins with 4 games left including one at Navy and one at Villanova
Eastern Illinois - Needs two more Div I wins. Could easily be 8-3, but you just do not take an 8-3 OVC team over an 8-3 team from CAA, MVFC or SoCon
Furman - Similar to Appy State. Has three tough games (Appy, at Auburn, at Ga Southern). Hard pressed to reach seven wins. If they can win out sans Auburn, an 8-3 Furman would be attractive.
Georgia Southern - Again, similar to Appy and Furman. Four games. Need three wins. Goes to Appy and still has Furman. Road trip to Samford could prove dangerous!
Holy Cross/Lafayette - Same situation. Not an impressive OOC year, though if either of these teams win out and Colgate's lone loss is to that team - could see two Patriot League berths?
Morgan State - Still have FAMU and So Carolina St. Win those, should win the league. Otherwise, too many close calls to feel comfortable with
Northern Arizona - If all goes according to plan, will "begin" playoffs Nov. 14 at Weber State
Youngstown State - YSU still has the "big three" of at SIU, vs SDSU and at UNI. Win those of those games over the next three weeks following this past week's bye and we can talk.

Bracket

Automatic Bids

At-Large
New Hampshire
Massachusetts
Villanova
William & Mary
South Dakota State
Northern Iowa
McNeese State
Florida A&M

South Carolina State @ (1) Richmond
Florida A&M @ William & Mary

Colgate @ (4) New Hampshire
Massachusetts @ Northern Iowa

Eastern Kentucky @ (3) Southern Illinois
Villanova @ Elon

South Dakota State @ McNeese State
Stephen F. Austin @ (2) Montana

Saint3333
October 18th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Would you mind calling Appalachian ASU or App State. 18 references to "Appy" in one post is rather annoying. Aren't you supposed to be a suedo journalist?

PaladinFan
October 18th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Again, no way 8-3 Furman doesn't get in.

TexasTerror
October 18th, 2009, 07:54 AM

Have to get to 8-3 first...that means splitting the Ga Southern/App games, losing to Auburn and beating the final two...

8-3 is a LONG way away...

Would you mind calling Appalachian ASU or App State. 18 references to "Appy" in one post is rather annoying. Aren't you supposed to be a suedo journalist?

At least that is a new angle instead of just criticizing me for keeping ASU, Appalachian and/or Appy out of the mix. Props! xthumbsupx

Ud1Hens
October 18th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Delaware - 4 Div I wins with 4 games left including one at Navy and one at Villanova

They need 3 wins with 4 to play. An 8-3 UD team (7 D-1 wins) will not be left out of the playoffs. They haven't been in the past and won't be inthe future. They'd either have a wins vs a bowl bound FBS in Navy or top 5 FCS Villanova, plus a win over a top 15 UMass team. Only other losses would be to 2 top 5 FCS schools.

That and their attendance will help too. xsmiley_wix

Nice work each week, Texas

EKU05
October 18th, 2009, 08:07 AM
As much as I hate it, TSU still has a huge leg up in the OVC auto-bid race despite the loss. Their agreement with the conference that allows them to play in at least 4 "classics" each year allows them to skip an OVC game, and this year that game just happens to be JSU. In order for EKU to take the bid you'd likely need one of the following two situations...

-TSU must lose again without having to play the best team in the conference, and EKU must win out in the OVC including the regular season finale at JSU.

or

-TSU loses two more games without having to play JSU, and then EKU can afford to lose.

asknoquarter21
October 18th, 2009, 08:10 AM
I can't say I disagree with you about App this time.

If our only loss the rest of the season is Elon I think we are in, but that is a long way to go and we better be getting closer to that team we all thought we had.

The next 2 games are big and I would expect to see everything we have. I think we find out a lot about Appalachian State in the next 2 weeks.

danefan
October 18th, 2009, 08:12 AM
I try to break this down more than ever before. Again, criticize all you want, but until you post your own prognostication and thoughts, we all know who has the chutzpah to do so! ;)

Automatic Bids

At-Large
New Hampshire
Massachusetts
Villanova
William & Mary
South Dakota State
Northern Iowa
McNeese State
Florida A&M

Last Team In
Florida A&M - Needs to win out to get 9-2 with losses to MEAC AQ So Carolina St and Miami. With 9-2 mark, would be in heavy consideration if CAA bids begin to crumble based on losses.

Bubble Teams
Appalachian State - Okay Appy, Wofford gave you guys a scare. Win vs Georgia Southern and beat Furman on the road, I'll let you guys in. Split the games, you still run the risk of losing to Elon for four wins. A 7-4 Appy team that finishes third in the SoCon does not get in this year.
Central Connecticut State - To please our friends in the NEC - weak OOC schedule with loss in biggest game at W&M.
Eastern Illinois - Needs two more Div I wins. Could easily be 8-3, but you just do not take an 8-3 OVC team over an 8-3 team from CAA, MVFC or SoCon
Furman - Similar to Appy State. Has three tough games (Appy, at Auburn, at Ga Southern). Hard pressed to reach seven wins. If they can win out sans Auburn, an 8-3 Furman would be attractive.
Georgia Southern - Again, similar to Appy and Furman. Four games. Need three wins. Goes to Appy and still has Furman. Road trip to Samford could prove dangerous!
Holy Cross/Lafayette - Same situation. Not an impressive OOC year, though if either of these teams win out and Colgate's lone loss is to that team - could see two Patriot League berths?
Morgan State - Still have FAMU and So Carolina St. Win those, should win the league. Otherwise, too many close calls to feel comfortable with
Northern Arizona - If all goes according to plan, will "begin" playoffs Nov. 14 at Weber State
Youngstown State - YSU still has the "big three" of at SIU, vs SDSU and at UNI. Win those of those games over the next three weeks following this past week's bye and we can talk.

Bracket

Automatic Bids

At-Large
New Hampshire
Massachusetts
Villanova
William & Mary
South Dakota State
Northern Iowa
McNeese State
Florida A&M

Villanova @ Elon

Please explain to me why FAMU, Holy Cross and Lafayette are considered a strong At-large possibility but somehow Central isn't? You're statement for Central ("weak OOC schedule with loss in biggest game") equally applies to the FAMU, Holy Cross and Lafayette.

None of those teams deserve at-large bids. There doesn't need to be any qualifying jab at the NEC. Central and Albany = FAMU, Holy Cross and Lafayette. If you don't think so, then you're not looking at this objectively.

jcmanson
October 18th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Please explain to me why FAMU, Holy Cross and Lafayette are considered a strong At-large possibility but somehow Central isn't? You're statement for Central ("weak OOC schedule with loss in biggest game") equally applies to the FAMU, Holy Cross and Lafayette.

None of those teams deserve at-large bids. There doesn't need to be any qualifying jab at the NEC. Central and Albany = FAMU, Holy Cross and Lafayette. If you don't think so, then you're not looking at this objectively.

And all of those teams < Liberty.

Saint3333
October 18th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Have to get to 8-3 first...that means splitting the Ga Southern/App games, losing to Auburn and beating the final two...

8-3 is a LONG way away...

At least that is a new angle instead of just criticizing me for keeping ASU, Appalachian and/or Appy out of the mix. Props! xthumbsupx

I agree no way an 8-3 SoCon team is left out of the playoffs. I also agree no SoCon team sans Elon at this point is a lock for 8 wins.

How could a fan that was watched every ASU game (and witnessed our defense) say that we aren't on the outside looking in. This team has top 10 talent at worst (and top 5 depth), but can't bring it together. A team that averages almost 500 yards of offense a game and 35 PPG shouldn't be struggling every weekend.

Just call us ASU or App - obviously the "y" adds a character and isn't "short". I expect more from people in the media.

danefan
October 18th, 2009, 08:50 AM
And all of those teams < Liberty.

Hard to say all of those teams are less than Liberty, but they certainly aren't greater than Liberty. But if you are going to throw any MEAC, Patriot or NEC team in any at-large discussion, which they shouldn't be, then you have to include Liberty as well. xnodx

aggiemba
October 18th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Hey dude,

I'll go along with most of your picks, but you are missing one important one: UC DAVIS

(and no I am not being a homer).
xconfusedx

93henfan
October 18th, 2009, 09:00 AM

If UD goes 3-1 down the stretch, we should be in, especially if it comes down to us vs. UMass, considering how we completely dominated them in every phase of the game last week.

It will be comical to see how many people put UMass ahead of Delaware in the polls this week after we destroyed them just a week ago.

TexasTerror
October 18th, 2009, 09:07 AM
They need 3 wins with 4 to play.

Said 4 Div I wins with four to play. That equates! I'll watch my wording...

An 8-3 UD team (7 D-1 wins) will not be left out of the playoffs. They haven't been in the past and won't be inthe future. They'd either have a wins vs a bowl bound FBS in Navy or top 5 FCS Villanova, plus a win over a top 15 UMass team. Only other losses would be to 2 top 5 FCS schools.

Just so tough to slot them in with those tough games ahead. Navy is always a rough one - and I saw the Middies won in OT, yesterday?

Hey dude,

I'll go along with most of your picks, but you are missing one important one: UC DAVIS

(and no I am not being a homer).
xconfusedx

The UC-Davis situation has been addressed time and time again. You scheduled yourselves out of the playoffs. You have to win ALL five of your games just to be considered and even then, at 7-3 (one sub-Div I win) - you have not done enough compared to other teams with seven wins from MVFC, CAA and SoCon.

93henfan
October 18th, 2009, 09:09 AM
I saw the Middies won in OT, yesterday?

Yeah, after being down 21-3 or something like that. Nice comeback for a running team. I was flipping through and caught a little bit of that one on MASN.

They will be a tough test for sure in Annapolis.

TTUEagles
October 18th, 2009, 09:31 AM
... TSU still has a huge leg up in the OVC auto-bid race despite the loss. Their agreement with the conference that allows them to play in at least 4 "classics" each year allows them to skip an OVC game, and this year that game just happens to be JSU. In order for EKU to take the bid you'd likely need one of the following two situations...

-TSU must lose again without having to play the best team in the conference, and ...

TECH will beat them in 2 weeks. Don't worry...Although they lost at EIU, I'm getting excited about this team and the future. They only had the ball for 16:10xeekx on offense and still had the ball on the 18 in the last minute to try and tie. To go to EIU, have 5 turnovers, a missed PAT and stil have a chance, is pretty encouraging...

WestCoastAggie
October 18th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Here are my Prognostications:

Bracket

Automatic Bids

At-Large
New Hampshire
Delaware
Villanova
William & Mary
South Dakota State
Northern Iowa
McNeese State
App. State

First Round Games
Eastern Kentucky @ (1) Richmond
App. State @ Villanova
McNeese State @ (2) Southern Illinois
Stephen F. Austin @ Northern Iowa
Colgate @ (3) New Hampshire
South Carolina State @William & Mary
South Dakota State @ (4) Montana
Elon @ Delaware

ToTheLeft
October 18th, 2009, 10:20 AM
There will not be two MEAC teams in the playoffs. Liberty has a better resume than FAMU.

WestCoastAggie
October 18th, 2009, 10:24 AM
There will not be two MEAC teams in the playoffs. Liberty has a better resume than FAMU.

Neither will Liberity. xcoffeex

Schfourteenteen
October 18th, 2009, 10:24 AM

And Liberty wont even make it. I agree

ToTheLeft
October 18th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Neither will Liberity. xcoffeex

Did I say Liberty would make it?

The MEAC is a joke. Finishing second in the MEAC and losing to the only good teams on your schedule is not good enough to make the playoffs. We've been through this before. But if somehow the committee has FAMU's resume out, looking at it and seriously considering them for the 8th spot, if someone tossed LU's resume out onto the table and compared them, FAMU would be done. The win over Lafayette is more impressive than anything FAMU will do this year, as is the win over Coastal, who killed your Aggies and proved they're much better than just a MEAC team.

TxState_GO_CATS!
October 18th, 2009, 10:29 AM
SFA will win the rest of their conference games and go underrated in the SLC. That would put them having only one loss (NO FCS LOSSES) and should be seeded. I don't believe they should have to go on the road, much less to Montana, if you have McNeese (who they beat head to head) hosting a game...

Dane96
October 18th, 2009, 10:29 AM

Agreed. No offense to others...but there is NO DIFFERENCE between FAMU, HOLY Cross and Lafayette and CCSU and Albany, and I also agree that CCSU, ALBANY...and the rest are not deserving of an at-large.

I wonder what TT's argument will be if Albany goes undefeated in the NEC and sits at 9-2 (not saying that will happen). I DONT THINK THEY SHOULD OR BELIEVE THE DANES WOULD GET AN AT-LARGE, but a last second lost AT Statesboro, a win over Maine, going undefeated for two straight years in conference...is a much better resume then any of the other teams listed. There was no need for a jab TT. How many NEC, PL, MEAC and or IVY Games do you actually watch a year? I am really curious.

Again, this nonsense that the MEAC, PL or IVY's should automatically be ranked higher (as seen with, as an example, Harvard's poll status this year without having played a soul) is simply not objective.

And yes, I am aware polls are subjective...before Dr. C, SE or TT chime in. And this is no offense to our friends in the MEAC, PL or IVY's; I just dont think Albany, CCSU or any team from those conference deserves an at-large this year.

Ud1Hens
October 18th, 2009, 10:31 AM

Just take care of business and win the conference...then no worries.

McNeese75
October 18th, 2009, 10:32 AM

Bracket

Automatic Bids

At-Large
New Hampshire
Delaware
Villanova
William & Mary
South Dakota State
Northern Iowa
McNeese State
App. State

First Round Games
App. State @ Villanova
Elon @ Delaware

I seriously doubt two SLC teams with travel to the MVC. I can tell you if SFA makes it through clean they will end up with a home game if they are not playing a seed. The head coach and OL coach have some in-laws with pretty deep pockets and I doubt they will get outbid for that first home game.

Also, I think I would rather travel to Carbondale to play SIU than face those rabid SDSU Rabbits at home as noted in a previous prediction xnodx

WestCoastAggie
October 18th, 2009, 10:33 AM

The MEAC is a joke. Finishing second in the MEAC and losing to the only good teams on your schedule is not good enough to make the playoffs. We've been through this before. But if somehow the committee has FAMU's resume out, looking at it and seriously considering them for the 8th spot, if someone tossed LU's resume out onto the table and compared them, FAMU would be done. The win over Lafayette is more impressive than anything FAMU will do this year, as is the win over Coastal, who killed your Aggies and proved they're much better than just a MEAC team.
These things may be right, however, the MEAC does have an autobid so in the end, these "compairisons" really don't matter. SC State, or any other MEAC Conference winner will be in the playoffs while Liberity or whomever else wins the Big South will not, this year. xcoffeex

McNeese75
October 18th, 2009, 10:34 AM
SFA will win the rest of their conference games and go underrated in the SLC. That would put them having only one loss (NO FCS LOSSES) and should be seeded. I don't believe they should have to go on the road, much less to Montana, if you have McNeese (who they beat head to head) hosting a game...

Hey ship our azz to Missoula. The Srs on this team have some unfinished business up there:D (long way to go before anyone is going anywhere)

So the Cats are ready to just hand SFA the conference title? What is up with that? It amazes me Cat and Demon fans are ready to hand them the trophy. Both teams need to man up and play them first (unless you are just going to forfeit the games)

nmatsen
October 18th, 2009, 10:34 AM

Automatic Bids

At-Large
New Hampshire
Massachusetts
Villanova
William & Mary
South Dakota State
Northern Iowa
McNeese State
Florida A&M

Last Team In

Bubble Teams

Bracket

Automatic Bids

At-Large
New Hampshire
Massachusetts
Villanova
William & Mary
South Dakota State
Northern Iowa
McNeese State
Florida A&M

Villanova @ Elon

How does number 2 UNI lose to a top 5 team, number 4 NH loses to a top 15 team on the same day, but for some reason NH still deserves a seed and UNI doesn't?

I don't think UNI deserves a seed, I am just questioning the logic.

GrizFoo
October 18th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I think two teams make it from the BSC, dropping one of the 5 teams you have from the CAA. I realize the CAA has a lot of teams in their conference, but having 5 teams from one conference isn't cool. There are other teams who will be recognized with an at large bid.

It wont be a total travisty of justice if 5 teams do make it from the CAA, but I dont think this year it should be so. There are a lot of good teams out there, and some actually are west of the divide.

I think either Weber or NAU get in, most likely NAU at this point. And EWU is certainly not pushover, eligible or not they are a very good and capable team, I'd match them with any team in the country, and they would have a shot at a win.

WestCoastAggie
October 18th, 2009, 10:38 AM
I seriously doubt two SLC teams with travel to the MVC. I can tell you if SFA makes it through clean they will end up with a home game if they are not playing a seed. The head coach and OL coach have some in-laws with pretty deep pockets and I doubt they will get outbid for that first home game.

Also, I think I would rather travel to Carbondale to play SIU than face those rabid SDSU Rabbits at home as noted in a previous prediction xnodx

I somewhat agree with. But the thing is we aren't sure how many boosters have "deep pockets" at UNI. Any of the non-seed games, could go either way as far as home/away but I took into consideration travel restrictions in place and you all are just closer to the valley.

Prognosticating is a difficult thing to do.

WestCoastAggie
October 18th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Here are my Prognostications: UPDATED TO ACCOUNT FOR UMASS DEFEATING UNH. APOLOGIES FOR MY ERRORS xoopsx

Bracket

Automatic Bids

At-Large
New Hampshire
Delaware
Villanova
William & Mary
South Dakota State
Northern Iowa
McNeese State
UMass

First Round Games
Elon @ Villanova
UMass @ (2) Southern Illinois
Colgate @ New Hampshire
Stephen F. Austin @ (3) Northern Iowa
McNeese State @ William & Mary
South Carolina State @ Delaware

Ud1Hens
October 18th, 2009, 10:49 AM
I think two teams make it from the BSC, dropping one of the 5 teams you have from the CAA. I realize the CAA has a lot of teams in their conference, but having 5 teams from one conference isn't cool. There are other teams who will be recognized with an at large bid.

It wont be a total travisty of justice if 5 teams do make it from the CAA, but I dont think this year it should be so. There are a lot of good teams out there, and some actually are west of the divide.

I think either Weber or NAU get in, most likely NAU at this point. And EWU is certainly not pushover, eligible or not they are a very good and capable team, I'd match them with any team in the country, and they would have a shot at a win.

Really? Just because you play and lose to an FBS team doesn't justify a playoff spot. Weber already has 3 losses and they still have to go to Montana plus play NAU...Can they win out, possibly but not likely. NAU has two losses already and still has to play Ole Miss and Weber.

If you blindly compare resumes there is zero chance they'd get in without one marquee top 25 victory plus atleast 3 losses. Why is it bad for football when the best 16 teams are selected regardless of conference. All possible 5 CAA teams will have a FBS win and/or atleast 2 top 20 FCS wins. I'm sorry it's not cool.

TexasTerror
October 18th, 2009, 10:51 AM

I'd be surprised if SFA were seeded. My hosting is done based on some past experiences when the SLC AQs got shipped (Nicholls to Furman in '05, NWST to Montana in '04) while the second-place team (SHSU in '04 vs WKU, TXST in '05 vs Ga Southern) stayed home.

Response

I watch a few NEC, Patriot and MEAC games. I got DirecTV. GPI and all of that will keep your NEC squads out and unfortunately, until that AQ comes - the weaklings in your conference with the awful schedules kept you out of At-Larges since day one.

ToTheLeft
October 18th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Just take care of business and win the conference...then no worries.

I wish that was the case.

These things may be right, however, the MEAC does have an autobid so in the end, these "compairisons" really don't matter. SC State, or any other MEAC Conference winner will be in the playoffs while Liberity or whomever else wins the Big South will not, this year. xcoffeex

So you're saying because the MEAC has enough teams to get an auto-bid they are a better conference?

WestCoastAggie
October 18th, 2009, 11:05 AM
I wish that was the case.

So you're saying because the MEAC has enough teams to get an auto-bid they are a better conference?

What I am trying to say is that the Argument that the BSC is better than the MEAC is pointless, eventhough there are strong arguments to say as such. This season, the "Better" team will be sitting at home during the playoffs. Next year will be different.

McNeese75
October 18th, 2009, 11:06 AM
I somewhat agree with. But the thing is we aren't sure how many boosters have "deep pockets" at UNI. Any of the non-seed games, could go either way as far as home/away but I took into consideration travel restrictions in place and you all are just closer to the valley.

Prognosticating is a difficult thing to do.

If the SLC gets two teams in, I will bet the farm one of em is headed to Missoula.

Dane96
October 18th, 2009, 11:13 AM
TT, come on now...be honest-- you base it on a few games? And that said, there arent many games on Direct TV (I know the exact number) from those leagues.

And what about the weak bottom of the IVY, PL and MEAC. No difference to the NEC.

You are trying to argue in a circular manner.

tribe_pride
October 18th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Here are my Prognostications: UPDATED TO ACCOUNT FOR UMASS DEFEATING UNH. APOLOGIES FOR MY ERRORS xoopsx

Bracket

Automatic Bids

At-Large
New Hampshire
Delaware
Villanova
William & Mary
South Dakota State
Northern Iowa
McNeese State
UMass

First Round Games
Elon @ Villanova
Colgate @ New Hampshire
Stephen F. Austin @ (3) Northern Iowa
UMass @ William & Mary

UMass can't play W&M in the 1st round. Same conference. One of the CAA teams would have to play the 2,3, or 4 seed in that scenario.

IaaScribe
October 18th, 2009, 11:23 AM
UC Davis? Come on. Even if Davis gets to 8-3, what will it have done? Beaten a down Cal Poly team at home? So what? No chance on Davis. No chance on Florida A&M. Rattlers are DONE.

B&G
October 18th, 2009, 11:48 AM
UC Davis? Come on. Even if Davis gets to 8-3, what will it have done? Beaten a down Cal Poly team at home? So what? No chance on Davis. No chance on Florida A&M. Rattlers are DONE.

Agreed on FAMU. If they had barely lost to SCSU, then MAYBE they have a shot at 9-2. The Rattlers didn't look good at all vs The Bulldogs. There is a lot of strong competition in the FCS this year and they will get passed over.

Native
October 18th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Really? Just because you play and lose to an FBS team doesn't justify a playoff spot. Weber already has 3 losses and they still have to go to Montana plus play NAU...Can they win out, possibly but not likely. NAU has two losses already and still has to play Ole Miss and Weber.

If you blindly compare resumes there is zero chance they'd get in without one marquee top 25 victory plus atleast 3 losses. Why is it bad for football when the best 16 teams are selected regardless of conference. All possible 5 CAA teams will have a FBS win and/or atleast 2 top 20 FCS wins. I'm sorry it's not cool.

Weber has a Top 15 win over Eastern Washington and gets to play Montana, Northern Arizona and Cal Poly, all of which will probably be ranked Top 25 at the time of the matchup.

Weber is obviously in with the autobid if they win out, but they also have as good a chance as any other potential 7-4 team to make it into the playoffs.

MSUBear42
October 18th, 2009, 12:03 PM

On YSU...
I just don't see them getting in. They've had a very easy MVC schedule so far. MSU has two road league wins (YSU and WIU) and their 2 losses were to 2 high-ranked teams (UNI and SDSU), MSU has a chance to win-out until their final game of the season when they play SIU in Carbondale. If anyone should be on the bubble, it would be MSU over YSU, but that's still a stretch. There are still 4 league games left, so a lot can change.

Let's see how YSU does these next 3 weeks when they play @SIU, SDSU, and @UNI.

Dane96
October 18th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Weber has a Top 15 win over Eastern Washington and gets to play Montana, Northern Arizona and Cal Poly, all of which will probably be ranked Top 25 at the time of the matchup.

Weber is obviously in with the autobid if they win out, but they also have as good a chance as any other potential 7-4 team to make it into the playoffs.

Eastern is not a Top 15. They may have been....very early on.

Ud1Hens
October 18th, 2009, 12:33 PM
No 7-4 team will make it this year. Sure they may have as good a chance as any other 7-4 team to make it, unfortunately the chance for all of them will still be zero. You better be 8-3 with a FBS win or two or more top 20 FCS wins and play in a top 2 conference

theasushow
October 18th, 2009, 12:39 PM
I can't say I disagree with you about App this time.

If our only loss the rest of the season is Elon I think we are in, but that is a long way to go and we better be getting closer to that team we all thought we had.

The next 2 games are big and I would expect to see everything we have. I think we find out a lot about Appalachian State in the next 2 weeks.

right now i see a couple different scenarios playing out for app state

1. undefeated in the socon and the possible 4th seed. (although nothing i have seen this year leads me to believe asu will run the conference in the socon, but technically it is still possible)

2.take care of business at home and split road games with furman and elon. i think this is a very likely scenario, if this happens i think app will get in.

3. 2 or more losses and the app players and coaches will have thanksgiving with their families for the first time in half a decade.

oh yeah, what would happen if elon loses to app and app loses to furman, but the teams beat everybody else. ah makes my head hurt.

SoCalAg
October 18th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Not sure Davis or Cal Poly get a bid, but if one of them wins out then we out here on the West Coast believe that they should at least be on the "Bubble Teams" list. To exclude a Conference Champion of the 2nd highest ranked conference in the nation (if they go undefeated in conference) seems a bit unfair. They at least deserve some consideration to be on the "last teams in" list.

SoCalAg
October 18th, 2009, 12:52 PM
As far as App, for a FCS newbie, how much stock does the selection committee put in previous playoff performances? They certainly have proven they belong in the playoffs.

theasushow
October 18th, 2009, 01:17 PM
As far as App, for a FCS newbie, how much stock does the selection committee put in previous playoff performances? They certainly have proven they belong in the playoffs.

depends on who you ask. a lot of different things come into play other than record when deciding the brackets. in reality, it shouldnt matter what a team has done in years past, as that has nothing to do with the current season, but past success will play into the committee's decision. app also generates tremendous revenue (15,000-25,000 fans per home playoff game) in other words asu would probably hold the tie-breaker over virtually any team in fcs if they had equal resumes.

jcmanson
October 18th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Hard to say all of those teams are less than Liberty, but they certainly aren't greater than Liberty. But if you are going to throw any MEAC, Patriot or NEC team in any at-large discussion, which they shouldn't be, then you have to include Liberty as well. xnodx

I'll take that.

B&G
October 18th, 2009, 05:16 PM
An alternate take...

South Carolina St. @ (1) Richmond

South Dakota St @ Appalachian St
--------------------------------------------------

Elon @ Villanova

Northern Arizona @ (4) Stephen F Austin
---------------------------------------------------

McNeese St @ (2) Montana

William & Mary @ Northern Iowa
----------------------------------------------------

Colgate @ New Hampshire

TexasTerror
October 18th, 2009, 05:24 PM
An alternate take...

Elon @ Villanova

McNeese St @ (2) Montana

Colgate @ New Hampshire

Great job! An SFA team as a seed would be something - would love to see SLC v Big Sky.

ASU_Fanatic
October 18th, 2009, 05:59 PM
I sure hope ASU will get in, it would be a bummer for Armanti if we didn't.

KiddBrewer
October 18th, 2009, 06:02 PM

Bracket

Automatic Bids

At-Large
New Hampshire
Delaware
Villanova
William & Mary
South Dakota State
Northern Iowa
McNeese State
App. State

First Round Games
App. State @ Villanova
Elon @ Delaware

if app does get in, we wont travel the first round, regardless of record, IMO ofcourse

seattlespider
October 18th, 2009, 06:20 PM
if app does get in, we wont travel the first round, regardless of record, IMO ofcourse

Agreed. ASU, Delaware and (if they were somehow not to win the BSC) Montana would not travel in the first round. 20k+ (attendance) guaranteed gate is certainly worth something.

nevadagriz
October 18th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Not sure Davis or Cal Poly get a bid, but if one of them wins out then we out here on the West Coast believe that they should at least be on the "Bubble Teams" list. To exclude a Conference Champion of the 2nd highest ranked conference in the nation (if they go undefeated in conference) seems a bit unfair. They at least deserve some consideration to be on the "last teams in" list.

Where do you get that the gwfc is the second highest rated conference???
for this year it has to be 1. caa 2.gateway3.southern/big sky 4.maybe GWFC

ToTheLeft
October 18th, 2009, 06:33 PM
The GPI has them rated 2nd best...

nevadagriz
October 18th, 2009, 06:39 PM
That is absurd! One of there teams lost to a NAIA school! Plus Montana and Montana state have a combined three wins over GWFC teams and the rest of the "SKY" may have some more ( to lazy to look)

RabidRabbit
October 18th, 2009, 07:05 PM
That is absurd! One of there teams lost to a NAIA school! Plus Montana and Montana state have a combined three wins over GWFC teams and the rest of the "SKY" may have some more ( to lazy to look)

Please note that no GPI has come out to say that GWFC is still #2.

Squealofthepig
October 18th, 2009, 08:38 PM
An alternate take...

Elon @ Villanova

McNeese St @ (2) Montana

Colgate @ New Hampshire

As they are today, this looks pretty accurate, though SIU/Montana probably switches, as SIU has a better overall body of work. Also, Elon traveling is a bit of a coin toss.

Truth is, a LOT of teams can still make the playoffs by winning out. I could see up to six CAA teams getting in; I could see three. All depends on how stuff develops down the stretch, but it looks like a lot of GREAT teams in the playoffs. McNeese in Missoula? Who among us wouldn't pay to see that? (In either Louisiana or Montana, I mean, really!)

Squealofthepig
October 18th, 2009, 08:44 PM
I sure hope ASU will get in, it would be a bummer for Armanti if we didn't.

QFT. I'd be sad if they didn't, and pulling for a strong finish.

GrizzlyEdd
October 18th, 2009, 09:44 PM

Bracket

Automatic Bids

At-Large
New Hampshire
Delaware
Villanova
William & Mary
South Dakota State
Northern Iowa
McNeese State
UMass

First Round Games
Elon @ Villanova
UMass @ (3) Southern Illinois
Colgate @ New Hampshire
Stephen F. Austin @ (4) Northern Iowa
McNeese State @ William & Mary
South Dakota State @ (2) Montana

This makes much more sense to me,,,, xnodx

ElonFirefighter
October 18th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I still cant see Elon not getting paired with WM or UR first round, i guess villy is still regionally close . Id love to see us sweep the season get a rank and host. Maybe SC or Villanova

Skjellyfetti
October 18th, 2009, 10:10 PM

Automatic Bids

At-Large
New Hampshire
Massachusetts
Villanova
William & Mary
South Dakota State
Northern Iowa
McNeese State
Florida A&M

Last Team In

Bubble Teams

Bracket

Automatic Bids

At-Large
New Hampshire
Massachusetts
Villanova
William & Mary
South Dakota State
Northern Iowa
McNeese State
Florida A&M

Villanova @ Elon

Leaving App out assumes Elon beats App, right? I can live with that, not an out there prediction.

But, I think a 1 loss, 0 FCS loss Elon would get a seed.

UNHFootballAlum
October 19th, 2009, 12:48 AM
How does number 2 UNI lose to a top 5 team, number 4 NH loses to a top 15 team on the same day, but for some reason NH still deserves a seed and UNI doesn't?

I don't think UNI deserves a seed, I am just questioning the logic.

At this point I do not think UNH or UNI deserve to be seeded. UNI lost at home, albeit to a top 5 team, but this is the first top 20 team they have played. UNH has a top 5 win and lost to bitter rival UMASS at a top 15 UMASS team. If you had to make one of them a seed, there is a case to be made for UNH to get it.

aceinthehole
October 19th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Agreed. No offense to others...but there is NO DIFFERENCE between FAMU, HOLY Cross and Lafayette and CCSU and Albany, and I also agree that CCSU, ALBANY...and the rest are not deserving of an at-large.

I wonder what TT's argument will be if Albany goes undefeated in the NEC and sits at 9-2 (not saying that will happen). I DONT THINK THEY SHOULD OR BELIEVE THE DANES WOULD GET AN AT-LARGE, but a last second lost AT Statesboro, a win over Maine, going undefeated for two straight years in conference...is a much better resume then any of the other teams listed. There was no need for a jab TT. How many NEC, PL, MEAC and or IVY Games do you actually watch a year? I am really curious.

Again, this nonsense that the MEAC, PL or IVY's should automatically be ranked higher (as seen with, as an example, Harvard's poll status this year without having played a soul) is simply not objective.

And yes, I am aware polls are subjective...before Dr. C, SE or TT chime in. And this is no offense to our friends in the MEAC, PL or IVY's; I just dont think Albany, CCSU or any team from those conference deserves an at-large this year.

I further agree. Right now, none of these teams are at-large worthy. Its possible, but I doubt any of them are worthy even after the last regular season game is played.

However, the fact that some teams (specifically from the NEC) are not compared to these teams in the polls is a joke. As MOST people have recogonized, the conference leaders from the PL, Ivy, NEC, Big South, OVC and MEAC are all in the same class. Some teams are better than others, but without enough games between them its hard to know exactly. But in no way should teams like CCSU and UA be so far behind in the polls!

DOME
October 19th, 2009, 09:29 AM
At this point I do not think UNH or UNI deserve to be seeded. UNI lost at home, albeit to a top 5 team, but this is the first top 20 team they have played. UNH has a top 5 win and lost to bitter rival UMASS at a top 15 UMASS team. If you had to make one of them a seed, there is a case to be made for UNH to get it.

I think it is UNI's turn to travel to UNH anyways. They can have it.
Turned out well last time xsmiley_wix

But I don't think either team should be projected as getting a seed the same week they both lost. Lets both win big next weekend and we'll talk then.

Fear the Bird
October 19th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Updated nobowls.com prognostication:

Elon @ (1) Richmond
EKU @ App. St.

Colgate @ (4) Villanova
SC St. @ William & Mary

New Hampshire @ (2) So. Illinois
UMass @ Northern Iowa

SDSU @ (3) Montana
SFA @ Delaware

First four out: NAU, Furman, Weber, McNeese
Next Four Out: Cal Poly, YSU, E. Illinois, Montana St.

I liked his projection more last week. Would they really group UNI and SIU in the same foursome?

bcrawf
October 19th, 2009, 10:05 AM
They did last year, but UNH won in Carbondale in the first round

skinny_uncle
October 19th, 2009, 10:06 AM

I liked his projection more last week. Would they really group UNI and SIU in the same foursome?
I think they have before, but I don't remember what year. They try to avoid conference matchups in the first round, but after that, it has more to do with geography and travel costs.

WestCoastAggie
October 19th, 2009, 10:08 AM

Elon @ (1) Richmond
EKU @ App. St.

Colgate @ (4) Villanova
SC St. @ William & Mary

New Hampshire @ (2) So. Illinois
UMass @ Northern Iowa

SDSU @ (3) Montana
SFA @ Delaware

First four out: NAU, Furman, Weber, McNeese
Next Four Out: Cal Poly, YSU, E. Illinois, Montana St.

If this happens, UNH would have a major BEEF with the committee. A team they defeated gets a seed while they have to travel to Carbondale?

skinny_uncle
October 19th, 2009, 10:11 AM
If this happens, UNH would have a major BEEF with the committee. A team they defeated gets a seed while they have to travel to Carbondale?
Somebody is going to have to go to Carbondale. EKU would be my pick.

WestCoastAggie
October 19th, 2009, 10:11 AM
With the amount of teams the CAA might enter the playoffs, should the Committee ignore their rule of avoiding placing conference teams together in a first round game?

WestCoastAggie
October 19th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Somebody is going to have to go to Carbondale. EKU would be my pick.

I believe that you all would see a SLC or a Big Sky team, due to regionalization and the teams "in consideration" for the playoffs.

Fear the Bird
October 19th, 2009, 10:13 AM

Well in Nova's defense, if they run the table with their lone loss being a 4 point loss @ UNH is their overall resume not stronger? I suppose it may come down to how Nova plays UD and UNH plays W&M

PhoenixPhan06
October 19th, 2009, 10:32 AM
I don't see how Elon would not be a seeded team if they win out. Time will tell but I'd like to see us get the chance at hosting a playoff game if the rest of the season plays out for us the way it should.

jstclmet
October 19th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Well in Nova's defense, if they run the table with their lone loss being a 4 point loss @ UNH is their overall resume not stronger? I suppose it may come down to how Nova plays UD and UNH plays W&M

Have we really come that far??? I mean, first you have Global Warming, short summers, early winters, and now Blue Hens defending Wildcatsxeekx

I'm getting very scared here xconfusedx

Fear the Bird
October 19th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Have we really come that far??? I mean, first you have Global Warming, short summers, early winters, and now Blue Hens defending Wildcatsxeekx

I'm getting very scared here xconfusedx xlolx

Well allow me to justify that statement then by saying that the if Nova runs the table is a HUGE IF as we will be repping hard on the mainline in a month xsmiley_wix

jstclmet
October 19th, 2009, 11:34 AM
xlolx

Well allow me to justify that statement then by saying that the if Nova runs the table is a HUGE IF as we will be repping hard on the mainline in a month xsmiley_wix

ahhh, that's more like it. Luv it when the Blue Hens show up early in force, and leave by halftime like the Dukes, tails tucked between their legs. The weather being chilly and all. Makes it feel even colder when Nova's up by 20 by the half. xnodx

Fear the Bird
October 19th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Of course if we go down to Annapolis and beat Navy again, it could be shades of 2007 with a huge let down on the mainline

uofmman1122
October 19th, 2009, 11:43 AM
I don't see how Elon would not be a seeded team if they win out. Time will tell but I'd like to see us get the chance at hosting a playoff game if the rest of the season plays out for us the way it should.If any four of Richmond, Montana, UNH, Villanova, SIU, or even Northern Iowa win out, Elon will have a tough time getting a seed.

In fact, if Richmond, Montana, and SIU win out, you already have your top 3 seeds. Then Elon has to face UNH, Villanova, and Northern Iowa for the #4 seed, each who could have a better resume than the 10-1 Phoenix.

crossfire07
October 19th, 2009, 11:56 AM
If the SLC gets two teams in, I will bet the farm one of em is headed to Missoula.

anyone that thinks than an SLC road team in the 1st round is not going to go to Montana does not know NCAA and SLC history. It is the 13th commandment that you go there.

PhoenixPhan06
October 19th, 2009, 12:27 PM
If any four of Richmond, Montana, UNH, Villanova, SIU, or even Northern Iowa win out, Elon will have a tough time getting a seed.

In fact, if Richmond, Montana, and SIU win out, you already have your top 3 seeds. Then Elon has to face UNH, Villanova, and Northern Iowa for the #4 seed, each who could have a better resume than the 10-1 Phoenix.

The 10-1 Phoenix, has a nice ring to it doesn't it?

RabidRabbit
October 19th, 2009, 12:28 PM
IFSDSU wins the AQ (only way that happens is to win out in MVFC), and lose to U of Minn, do they get the seed?

R.A.
October 19th, 2009, 01:00 PM

The Aggies suck.

How is a win over NC A&T even worth arguing over?

The fact that it took Coastal four quarter of football to finally put the Aggies away, is more telling.

28-7 in Conway, over a lowly MEAC squad??

That doesn't make the Big South look good at all.

Lets see how FAMU, and SCSU do against the Aggies.

Skjellyfetti
October 19th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Then Elon has to face UNH, Villanova, and Northern Iowa for the #4 seed, each who could have a better resume than the 10-1 Phoenix.

UNH, Villanova, and Northern Iowa would all have an FCS loss. Elon would not. Would that really be a better resume?

soccerguy315
October 19th, 2009, 02:08 PM
UNH, Villanova, and Northern Iowa would all have an FCS loss. Elon would not. Would that really be a better resume?

maybe... the losses are to higher ranked teams than Elon even has to play. If Elon [switched places with Villanova and] played Richmond, W&M, UMass (or UNH) I doubt you would get many people to agree that Elon would be favored to make it through without a loss.

uofmman1122
October 19th, 2009, 02:26 PM
UNH, Villanova, and Northern Iowa would all have an FCS loss. Elon would not. Would that really be a better resume?I guess not the case with UNI, which is why I was hesitant to include them, but UNH and Nova would have an FBS win, and that certainly counts for something.

Also, the only teams Elon could count as good wins would be App State and maybe Furman.

WestCoastAggie
October 19th, 2009, 02:30 PM
The Aggies suck.

How is a win over NC A&T even worth arguing over?

The fact that it took Coastal four quarter of football to finally put the Aggies away, is more telling.

28-7 in Conway, over a lowly MEAC squad??

That doesn't make the Big South look good at all.

Lets see how FAMU, and SCSU do against the Aggies.

And here come the bottom feeders of the MEAC this year saying that the Aggies suck. xlolx

I am quite certain that little ol' A&T will fare alot better than the hapless Bison of THE Howard University. xlolx

BTW: B.J. isn't there to save you all this Homecoming. Maybe after watching your pathetic attempt at D1 Football, Diddy will decide to put some money into Bison Athletics. xlolx

89Hen
October 19th, 2009, 02:32 PM
IFSDSU wins the AQ (only way that happens is to win out in MVFC), and lose to U of Minn, do they get the seed?
Depends on who's out there. xeyebrowx

nmatsen
October 19th, 2009, 02:34 PM
I guess not the case with UNI, which is why I was hesitant to include them, but UNH and Nova would have an FBS win, and that certainly counts for something.

Also, the only teams Elon could count as good wins would be App State and maybe Furman.

UNI's FBS loss is about a million times better than either of UNH or Nova's FBS wins. You would have to be on crack to think other wise. That, and if Nova is going to get a seed that means Richmond will have an L moving them down the polls and opening up discussion for another spot.

jstclmet
October 19th, 2009, 03:00 PM
UNI's FBS loss is about a million times better than either of UNH or Nova's FBS wins. You would have to be on crack to think other wise. That, and if Nova is going to get a seed that means Richmond will have an L moving them down the polls and opening up discussion for another spot.

I don't see any problem with Nova being a 1 or 2 seed, and UR being a 3 or 4 seed, assuming Nova beats UR. 11/7 will be one helluva game, and regardless of the outcome, those two teams should be in opposite sides of the playoff brackett unlike last year with Nova and JMU meeting in the 2nd round.

Let's assume for sake of argument Montana wins out, Nova beats UR, and they both win the remainder of their games, and SIU wins out.

#1 Mont
#8 UNH

#7 Elon
#2 Nova

#6 UNI
#3 SIU

#7 W&M
#4 UR

I know NCAA doesn't seed past 4, but this is how I would do it.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 19th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Nor do they match up teams from the same conference in the first round.

Fear the Bird
October 19th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Nor do they match up teams from the same conference in the first round.

I think he is saying those would be the groupings since he only seeded 1-8...those wouldn't be first round match-ups but rather hypothetical quarterfinal match ups

uofmman1122
October 19th, 2009, 03:26 PM
UNI's FBS loss is about a million times better than either of UNH or Nova's FBS wins. You would have to be on crack to think other wise. That, and if Nova is going to get a seed that means Richmond will have an L moving them down the polls and opening up discussion for another spot.Okay, so we have:

9-2 Villanova

Wins over: FBS Temple, Top 10 W&M, Top 25 Delaware
Losses to: Top 10 UNH, #1 Richmond

10-1 UNH

Wins over: FBS Ball State, Top 5 Villanova, Top 10 W&M
Losses to: Top 25 UMASS

9-2 UNI

Wins over: Top 25 SDSU
Losses to: BCS Top 25 Iowa, Top 5 SIU

UNI has better losses than either, yet only one "good" win. Even if you take out their FBS wins because they aren't against good FBS teams, they still have twice as many "good" wins as UNI, with a similar or better record.

Throw in 10-1 Elon

Wins over: Top 15 App State
Losses to: FBS Wake Forest

In this scenario, UNH gets the seed, IMO. We may think the win over Ball State is nothing noteworthy, but the committee views FBS wins as good, no matter what, and their opinion is the only one that matters.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 19th, 2009, 03:32 PM
I think he is saying those would be the groupings since he only seeded 1-8...those wouldn't be first round match-ups but rather hypothetical quarterfinal match ups

Gotcha! I should have figured that out!! xoopsx OK, back to the chores at hand!!!!

soccerguy315
October 19th, 2009, 04:04 PM
lots of teams still have a shot for a seed.

MacThor
October 19th, 2009, 04:41 PM
maybe... the losses are to higher ranked teams than Elon even has to play. If Elon [switched places with Villanova and] played Richmond, W&M, UMass (or UNH) I doubt you would get many people to agree that Elon would be favored to make it through without a loss.

cue LAWdiddy in 3.....2......1....

FUPaladins
October 19th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Second place SoCon team should, but likely won't, make the playoffs. (Unless said team goes 8-3)

soccerguy315
October 19th, 2009, 05:49 PM
cue LAWdiddy in 3.....2......1....

he got banned a few days ago, lol xwhistlex

BulldogWillie
October 19th, 2009, 07:44 PM

Its good to see Furman back to being in the race for the
SoCon title as well as the playoffs. I'd like to see a first round game between S.C. State and Furman. I sure miss playing them.xthumbsupx

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 19th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Here's my projection:

Montana wins out.
Richmond loses to Villanova and beats WM.
UNH loses to WM

Montana gets Top Seed. #4 Seed is MVC winner.

Villanova gets #2 Seed. Richmond is #3 Seed.

The committee wants to cut down on travel and try to keep from an All-CAA final.

See you in Philadelphia on December 12th.

TCisMYhero
October 19th, 2009, 08:02 PM
I hope this SIU loss lit a fire under our a**es and our dickfinger OC pulls his head out of his.... well anyways...

McNeese75
October 19th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Okay, so we have:

9-2 Villanova

Wins over: FBS Temple, Top 10 W&M, Top 25 Delaware
Losses to: Top 10 UNH, #1 Richmond

10-1 UNH

Wins over: FBS Ball State, Top 5 Villanova, Top 10 W&M
Losses to: Top 25 UMASS
9-2 UNI

Wins over: Top 25 SDSU
Losses to: BCS Top 25 Iowa, Top 5 SIU

UNI has better losses than either, yet only one "good" win. Even if you take out their FBS wins because they aren't against good FBS teams, they still have twice as many "good" wins as UNI, with a similar or better record.

Throw in 10-1 Elon

Wins over: Top 15 App State
Losses to: FBS Wake Forest

In this scenario, UNH gets the seed, IMO. We may think the win over Ball State is nothing noteworthy, but the committee views FBS wins as good, no matter what, and their opinion is the only one that matters.

Ahhhhh yes, the self-perpetuating CAA. It sure would be nice to see some of these super teams play some early OOC games against other FCS conferences (like in the south or west). Any team can get up for an FCS game (and I am not knocking anyone's FCS success this year) but otherwise it appears to me the CAA's FCS OOC schedule this year has a lot to be desired. Sure you can argue that all your losses during the season are to top 10 teams (all CAA of course). Try travelling to an FCS venue early in the year that might take you out of your confort zone where you risk losing a game.

May I suggest:

App State - good fan base the team of the decade.
Montana - Wash-griz is challenging and yes I know Umass beat them in the playoffs at the end of the season, head on up there early in the year.
Georgia Southern - Gnats, rabid fans and plenty of heat.
South Dakota - Brookings is a nice small city but the Rabbits are some physical Sum bitc%es at home.
McNeese - Good fans, tailgating, historically decent team and early in the year, damn hot although we play at night.
Southern Utah - Beautiful setting, natural grass field that is always at least ankle height, big crown on the field, altitude all lead to a quirky little setting that can give one fits.
Nicholls State - (struggling this year) screwy Triple-0 offense, Thibodaux is at the end of the world for someone who has never been there, again heat, rain, etc.

And there are plenty of others out there as well.

I know the CAA is a good conference but we all get tired of hearing how there should be 4-6 or more of their teams in the playoffs when all they play are themselves.

Flame on xlolx

WestCoastAggie
October 19th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Ahhhhh yes, the self-perpetuating CAA. It sure would be nice to see some of these super teams play some early OOC games against other FCS conferences (like in the south or west). Any team can get up for an FCS game (and I am not knocking anyone's FCS success this year) but otherwise it appears to me the CAA's FCS OOC schedule this year has a lot to be desired. Sure you can argue that all your losses during the season are to top 10 teams (all CAA of course). Try travelling to an FCS venue early in the year that might take you out of your confort zone where you risk losing a game.

May I suggest:

Montana - Wash-griz is challenging and yes I know Umass beat them in the playoffs at the end of the season, head on up there early in the year.
South Dakota - Brookings is a nice small city but the Rabbits are some physical Sum bitc%es at home.
McNeese - Good fans, tailgating, historically decent team and early in the year, damn hot although we play at night.
Southern Utah - Beautiful setting, natural grass field that is always at least ankle height, big crown on the field, altitude all lead to a quirky little setting that can give one fits.
Nicholls State - (struggling this year) screwy Triple-0 offense, Thibodaux is at the end of the world for someone who has never been there, again heat, rain, etc.

I know the CAA is a good conference but we all get tired of hearing how there should be 4-6 or more of their teams in the playoffs when all they play are themselves.

Flame on xlolx

ONLY if you're willing to travel eastward.xwhistlex

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 19th, 2009, 08:41 PM

May I suggest:

Flame on xlolx

Why waste our team beating other FCS teams, when we can beat ACC teams ... and get paid to do it?!

We leave the non-conference beatings for late November and early December. xlolx

EmeryZach
October 19th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Appy

soccerguy315
October 19th, 2009, 08:57 PM

This season, W&M (using them b/c I know the schedule) is:
@Top10 Nova
vsTop 20 Delaware
vsTop10 New Hampshire
@Top10 Richmond
@FBS Virginia

Just for comparison, your team is:
@Top10 App State
@Top20 SFA
vsTop20 Central Arkansas
@Tulane

W&M has 3 Top 10 opponents, 1 Top 20, and an FBS
ranked opponents average = 7.75 (AGS)

McNeese has 1 Top 10, 20 Top 20, and an FBS
ranked opponents average = 13 (AGS)

W&M plays more ranked teams, and the teams are harder... looks like McNeese is the one that should step up their scheduling. xrulesx

Shellin
October 19th, 2009, 09:08 PM
@Top10 Nova
vsTop 20 Delaware
vsTop10 New Hampshire
@Top10 Richmond
@FBS Virginia

@Top10 App State
@Top20 SFA
vsTop20 Central Arkansas
@Tulane

W&M plays more ranked teams, and the teams are harder... looks like McNeese is the one that should step up their scheduling. xrulesx

I think he was arguing towards OoC scheduling. I haven't looked at the schedules for most teams in the CAA but I don't really recall any quality non-conference FCS matchups amongst the teams (yes, I know what Montana's schedule looks like most year xsmiley_wix and also that Delaware got themselves Furmaned). Don't get me wrong, I do believe that these teams in the CAA are among the best in the country and more likely than not we will see success from the conference in the playoffs, but it is fair to say that up to this point we don't know how well most of these teams stack up against teams from other conferences. You can't change who is in your conference, but you can schedule teams from OoC.

soccerguy315
October 19th, 2009, 09:19 PM
I think he was arguing towards OoC scheduling. I haven't looked at the schedules for most teams in the CAA but I don't really recall any quality non-conference FCS matchups amongst the teams (yes, I know what Montana's schedule looks like most year xsmiley_wix and also that Delaware got themselves Furmaned). Don't get me wrong, I do believe that these teams in the CAA are among the best in the country and more likely than not we will see success from the conference in the playoffs, but it is fair to say that up to this point we don't know how well most of these teams stack up against teams from other conferences. You can't change who is in your conference, but you can schedule teams from OoC.

I know, but why should they schedule hard OOC games when their strength of schedule is already the hardest with the easy games? Should a CAA team schedule ranked OOC teams? Would you support Montana scheduling 2 Top 20 OOC games and an FBS if they had 3 more Top 10 opponents and another top 20 opponent? It doesn't make any sense...

tribe_pride
October 19th, 2009, 09:21 PM

May I suggest:

Flame on xlolx

This year in 11 games

W&M plays 1 FBS, 4 ranked FCS and 2 ORVs
Nova plays 1 FBS, 4 ranked FCS and 1 ORV
UMass plays 1 FBS, 3 ranked FCS and 1 ORV
Richmond plays 1 FBS, 4 ranked FCS and 1 ORV
UNH plays 1 FBS, 3 ranked FCS
Delaware plays 1 FBS, 4 ranked FCS and 1 ORV and 1 D-II
McNeeese St. plays 1 FBS, 3 ranked FCS teams and 1 D-II team

McNeese may have an argument against UNH but no other teams for this year. (and scheduling 2 FBS next year is not smart if McNeese wants to get into the playoffs especially if Lamar doesn't count (not sure if it does or does not)).

JMU has played App. St recently (last year and year before I think), Delaware tried to play Furman this season but Furman cancelled after the contract was signed.

As soccer guy was saying, generally, if these CAA teams scheduled more ranked FCS teams, they are killing their chances for a playoff especially with 1 FBS team scheduled already.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 19th, 2009, 09:25 PM
JMU has played App. St recently (last year and year before I think), Delaware tried to play Furman this season but Furman cancelled after the contract was signed.

Don't forget that Richmond hammered Elon on the road last year. We play them again next year.

Lowly Towson beat Coastal CArolina this year.

Lowly JMU beat Top 25 Liberty

WM beat Central Connecticut and some guy on here thinks CenConn is a playoff team.

uofmman1122
October 19th, 2009, 09:41 PM

May I suggest:

Flame on xlolxHey dude, I don't necessarily agree with it, myself, but that's the way it is.

The nature of the CAA allows them to have a lot of teams ranked high in the polls, but it's not like it's outrageous.

However, I do think this year's Weber State, Eastern Washington, and NAU teams could even do pretty well against the best in the CAA, yet even if WSU, EWU, and NAU have better teams (not saying they do, necessarily), they won't sniff the rankings that the CAA teams have.

SCPALADIN
October 19th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Its good to see Furman back to being in the race for the
SoCon title as well as the playoffs. I'd like to see a first round game between S.C. State and Furman. I sure miss playing them.xthumbsupx

Same here...I used to love playing SC State every year. The trip to Orangeburg was always enjoyable.

MacThor
October 19th, 2009, 09:53 PM

May I suggest:

Flame on xlolx

JMU beat App St. last year.
Richmond beat Elon last year.
The calendar didn't allow for a 12-game schedule this year.

McNeese75
October 19th, 2009, 10:00 PM
@Top10 Nova
vsTop 20 Delaware
vsTop10 New Hampshire
@Top10 Richmond
@FBS Virginia

@Top10 App State
@Top20 SFA
vsTop20 Central Arkansas
@Tulane

xrolleyesx All those "Top 10" teams you are talking are in your friggin self-perpetuating conference xrotatehx

Don't worry about the McNeese schedule. We will travel across the country to play a game unlike W&M xcoffeex

McNeese75
October 19th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Hey dude, I don't necessarily agree with it, myself, but that's the way it is.

The nature of the CAA allows them to have a lot of teams ranked high in the polls, but it's not like it's outrageous.

However, I do think this year's Weber State, Eastern Washington, and NAU teams could even do pretty well against the best in the CAA, yet even if WSU, EWU, and NAU have better teams (not saying they do, necessarily), they won't sniff the rankings that the CAA teams have.

My point is how would the CAA do in early season games at any of those BSC venues? We will never know and I realize a economics have a lot to do with scheduling. I just get tired of one CAA team losing to another and then getting all in an uproar when they drop a couple spots in the polls or get mad if they happen to drop out of the top 10 xlolx

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u237/brokn68/flamebait.jpg

tribe_pride
October 19th, 2009, 10:21 PM
xrolleyesx All those "Top 10" teams you are talking are in your friggin self-perpetuating conference xrotatehx

Don't worry about the McNeese schedule. We will travel across the country to play a game unlike W&M xcoffeex

With budget concerns the way they are and the fact that the Tribe wants a chance to make the playoffs, what sense does it make to travel across the country for a team on the east coast? The Tribe is only playing 4 games this year against teams that are not currently FBS or or at a minimum receiving votes. That's a tough schedule.

The Tribe plays an ACC game or other relatively local FBS team usually every year, has a rivalry against VMI (86 games played) which alternates home and home (only took this year off at VMI's request and we played a good CCSU) and then we try to play home and homes versus other local teams such as Norfolk State, Liberty and have done Hampton in the past as well. The fan attendance will be better if both teams are local and nobody travels better than VMI.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 19th, 2009, 10:27 PM
We will never know and I realize a economics have a lot to do with scheduling.

You made the point yourself, Bubba. Why perpetuate the argument?

Are the computer rankings all wrong?

Are the playoff results of the last few years all wrong? All the SLC has to do is beat some CAA teams in the playoffs. Several of you draw well enough that you should get some home games.

tribe_pride
October 19th, 2009, 10:27 PM
My point is how would the CAA do in early season games at any of those BSC venues? We will never know and I realize a economics have a lot to do with scheduling. I just get tired of one CAA team losing to another and then getting all in an uproar when they drop a couple spots in the polls or get mad if they happen to drop out of the top 10 xlolx

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u237/brokn68/flamebait.jpg

Can't tell you how they would do at the BSC venues but the CAA won 4 FBS games this year (3 of which have .500 records or better) and were within 4 points of 2 others (1 of which is 4-3) with Delaware still to go against Navy. They may not be top 25 FBS teams that the CAA teams beat but no other team in the FCS beat an FBS team this year so that is impressive and all of those games were away.

By the way, the 4 in the top 10 are the ones that beat FBS teams.

Ud1Hens
October 19th, 2009, 10:29 PM
My point is how would the CAA do in early season games at any of those BSC venues? We will never know and I realize a economics have a lot to do with scheduling.

They'd rather get a nice payday from a relatively local FBS and beat them at their place. xcoffeex

soccerguy315
October 19th, 2009, 10:39 PM

why did you put "top 10" in scare quotes?

Do you disagree with the consensus top 10 now? Who do you have?

W&M doesn't travel across the country because they have enough ranked teams on their schedule already. Why do you want the CAA schools to schedule harder teams, WHEN THEY ALREADY PLAY THE TOUGHEST SCHEDULES????

I (and others) have pointed out that the CAA schedules are harder than yours, but apparently you don't think that is relevant to the conversation. I assume your athletic department is working hard to play @Montana and @UNI every year, so you can get your SoS up to CAA standards.

kirkblitz
October 19th, 2009, 10:42 PM
lib gets in

McNeese75
October 19th, 2009, 10:43 PM
You made the point yourself, Bubba. Why perpetuate the argument?

Are the computer rankings all wrong?

Are the playoff results of the last few years all wrong? All the SLC has to do is beat some CAA teams in the playoffs. Several of you draw well enough that you should get some home games.

No argument BUBBA, just making an observation and asking a question. And not once have I tried to imply the SLC is superior to the CAA at this time.

ToTheLeft
October 19th, 2009, 10:50 PM
lib gets in

I don't think you get enough credit for being one of the smartest posters here. :P

Native
October 20th, 2009, 12:02 AM
As much as I hate it, TSU still has a huge leg up in the OVC auto-bid race despite the loss. Their agreement with the conference that allows them to play in at least 4 "classics" each year allows them to skip an OVC game, and this year that game just happens to be JSU. In order for EKU to take the bid you'd likely need one of the following two situations...

-TSU must lose again without having to play the best team in the conference, and EKU must win out in the OVC including the regular season finale at JSU.

or

-TSU loses two more games without having to play JSU, and then EKU can afford to lose.

Wow! Thanks for the explanation. Sucks for EKU and the OVC.

hawkssb04
October 20th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Eastern is not a Top 15. They may have been....very early on.

Totally agreed. Eastern Washington isn't a Top 25 squad even. However, WSU's strength of schedule should prove to get them into the FCS playoffs. Especially if they knock off Montana in two weeks.

SoCalAg
October 20th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Please note that no GPI has come out to say that GWFC is still #2.

The GPI is out, and the GWFC is still #2 as of 10/19/09