PDA

View Full Version : Old Dominion.....Playoffs?????

SoConisMyAntiDrug
October 17th, 2009, 10:40 PM
I am not sure, but can Old Dominion be chosen for the playoffs? I understand it would be an at large bid, but could they? I just looked at the schedule and if they will out they will have 7 D-I wins. Thanks for any insight

Eight Legger
October 17th, 2009, 10:43 PM
I don't know the answer to this question, but seriously now.....ODU would lose to any playoff caliber team by about 40 points.

SoConisMyAntiDrug
October 17th, 2009, 10:46 PM
I completely agree, but I just wanted to know since it was the first year, would it be possible.

TheValleyRaider
October 17th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Officially, yes. They are a full Division I member, and so are not subject to any kind of transition period

Their schedule makes it virtually impossible for them to qualify, but technically they are fully eligible

SoConisMyAntiDrug
October 17th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Thanks TheValleyRider, I appreciate it

Dblue
October 17th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Phil Steele does not think ODU is deservingxconfusedx

LawDutch
October 18th, 2009, 03:09 AM
Way impressed with ODU so far this season. Obviously they have played weak competition, but they have handled the schedule well and 8 wins looks like a strong possibility. It appears like they will have an easy transition into the CAA down the line. Those facilities are top notch as well.

ThompsonThe
October 18th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Can't wait for the 999th CAA member to get going into conference.

Monarch Nation
October 18th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Old Dominion...playoffs?

In a word - No.

Technically yes, we are eligible. But in reality there isn't a chance. We are playing the softest schedule around designed to get us started on the right foot. By the time we get into the CAA we should have some of the bugs worked out (idiotic penalties, missed blocking assignments, etc.) but for right now to think of ODU - regardless of our record - for playoffs just isn't realistic thinking.

(Cue the Jim Mora clip)

elcid03
October 18th, 2009, 08:12 AM
ODU has one of the best recruiting bases in the nation. Hampton Roads is a hot bed of high school talent. I was stationed in Norfolk and when they announced ODU was getting a team I thought they would make the playoffs after their 3rd or 4th year. Yes, it could be sooner. Watch out CAA...there is a new juggernaut in the making!

tribe_pride
October 18th, 2009, 08:28 AM
ODU has one of the best recruiting bases in the nation. Hampton Roads is a hot bed of high school talent. I was stationed in Norfolk and when they announced ODU was getting a team I thought they would make the playoffs after their 3rd or 4th year. Yes, it could be sooner. Watch out CAA...there is a new juggernaut in the making!

Sooner than their 3rd or 4th year is this year or next year. We are all impressed with what ODU has done but they will not be ready to make the playoffs this year or next year. Trust me, everyone is concerned about what ODU will be in a couple of years.

According to an ODU schedule I found online here is ODU's schedule (with 1 open date trying to fill vs a top 25 team) next year

vs. Jacksonville, Sept. 4;
at Campbell, Sept. 11;
vs. William and Mary, Sept. 18;
at Monmouth, Sept. 25;
vs. Gardner-Webb, Oct. 2;
at Presbyterian, Oct. 9;
vs. Georgia State, Oct. 23;
at Georgetown, Oct. 30;
vs. Savannah State, Nov. 6;
vs. VMI, Nov. 13.

That team would have to go undefeated to get to the playoffs with that schedule and then it'll be tough. If they can get W&M and another top 25 team, that is a great schedule to work your way into the CAA soon. It's just not a playoff schedule and W&M will be heavily favored to beat ODU next year.

Wait a couple of years and ODU will scare all of the CAA.

KAUMASS
October 18th, 2009, 10:20 AM
[QUOTE=tribe_pride;1438101]Sooner than their 3rd or 4th year is this year or next year. We are all impressed with what ODU has done but they will not be ready to make the playoffs this year or next year. Trust me, everyone is concerned about what ODU will be in a couple of years.

According to an ODU schedule I found online here is ODU's schedule (with 1 open date trying to fill vs a top 25 team) next year

That team would have to go undefeated to get to the playoffs with that schedule and then it'll be tough. If they can get W&M and another top 25 team, that is a great schedule to work your way into the CAA soon. It's just not a playoff schedule and W&M will be heavily favored to beat ODU next year.

Wait a couple of years and ODU will scare all of the CAA.[/QUOTE

Does this remind anyone of NDSU??xwhistlexxwhistlex

ODU has done well this year for their first year. They need to ask Towson how life has been in the CAA since they transitioned.

WileECoyote06
October 18th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Don't worry. We plan on ruining your homecoming. That will take you out of the playoff race. xsmiley_wix xthumbsupx

tribe_pride
October 18th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Sooner than their 3rd or 4th year is this year or next year. We are all impressed with what ODU has done but they will not be ready to make the playoffs this year or next year. Trust me, everyone is concerned about what ODU will be in a couple of years.

Wait a couple of years and ODU will scare all of the CAA.

Does this remind anyone of NDSU??xwhistlexxwhistlex

ODU has done well this year for their first year. They need to ask Towson how life has been in the CAA since they transitioned.

You are definitely right that there are no givens. ODU seems to be doing things the right way and are in a hot bed of talent. It seems like they are willing to invest a lot more resources (just look at their stadium) than Towson and their support is way more than Towson has had (cannot speak for NDSU). Right now, they are 5-2 with with basically all Frosh and Soph. This is no guarantee of success in the future but they are starting out the right way.