PDA

View Full Version : 12 Game Schedules in I-AA?

TexasTerror
December 16th, 2005, 02:30 PM
I didn't believe it. Thought it was off the agenda, but it seems to be on the agenda once more for April 2006 as something the NCAA is going to consider.

If it passes, which I am doubtful of, I would think it would go into place in 2007 at the earliest, but a few folks from McNeese are saying that it would go into place in 2006. Do all schools have agreements already in place incase this happens? McNeese fans say they do have an agreement. Why in the world would it go into place that soon if it's a risk that not all schools have contracts ready or enough time to fill that game?

Thoughts?

I'm not a big fan of 12 games. I think this will guarantee two I-A games and/or two Div II or NAIA games in many seasons for the I-AAs out west (namely SLC, Big Sky and GWFC) that have a harder time getting games on the schedule due to folks trying to avoid anything more than bus travel.

I know many have been outspoken against two Div I-A games in year but half the teams in the SLC are already doing it this coming year and I think it'll increase if this were to occur.

Also, with 12 games, your looking at 13-16 games for playoff teams. That's brutal at the NFL. Can these players survive playing this many games? More injuries, eh? Will be tougher, especially if you play another I-A game, to deal with such a long season.

And would the SWAC play some I-AAs out of conference for once? Won't the Ivy reject it due to "academics"?

Cocky
December 16th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Some at JSU believe it will pass and they are trying to prepare for it.

colgate13
December 16th, 2005, 02:51 PM
We had it in 2003 and have it again no matter what in 2008 due to the calendar. If it's good enough those years, why not every year?

Bring it on....

TexasTerror
December 16th, 2005, 03:00 PM
We had it in 2003 and have it again no matter what in 2008 due to the calendar. If it's good enough those years, why not every year?

Not all schools played 12 in 2003, so it makes me wonder if all schools will do that in 2008. I know SHSU, SFA and Nicholls played 11 as did McNeese (they played a 12th in the playoffs) in the SLC. Strangely enough, TxSt and NW St did...

I do understand your point though.

rokamortis
December 16th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Not to get the whole argument started again - but I would rather see the playoffs expand than increase the season to 12 games. But if that isn't an option I say go for the 12 games.

colgate13
December 16th, 2005, 03:22 PM
I would forgoe 12 games for a 24 game playoff IF it was with the SWAC and Ivy and GWFC all getting autos...

Otherwise, that 12th game is great for adding new OOC matchups that aren't happening now. For us, 2008's 12th game means we get a I-A (Buffalo) AND Furman AND Towson along with 3 Ivys and our PL foes. That to me is an ideal schedule for Colgate: 6 league games, 3 games with Ivys, one A-10, SoCon and I-A.

I love the 2008 schedule... mostly because it also coincides with when I think Colgate will be REALLY good.

But that's how I envision 12 games to go. Nothing but upside to me.

gram4life
December 16th, 2005, 04:18 PM
I
And would the SWAC play some I-AAs out of conference for once? Won't the Ivy reject it due to "academics"?

Man you do have problem don't you, SWAC this SWAC that how long you going to hang there?

LacesOut
December 16th, 2005, 04:33 PM
I could give a crap if they played 10, 11, or 12 games.

But, I would strongly urge I-AA schools to schedule up (i.e. I-A) if a 12th game was granted, and not schedule down (i.e. D-II). If possible, of course.

We all know what my school, UD, would do, now don't we?? LOL

TexasTerror
December 16th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Man you do have problem don't you, SWAC this SWAC that how long you going to hang there?

It's a legitimate question, is it not? Would SWAC play more 'classics' or would they step out of the box and play "pay games" and/or other I-AA opponents?

gram4life
December 16th, 2005, 07:04 PM
It's a legitimate question, is it not? Would SWAC play more 'classics' or would they step out of the box and play "pay games" and/or other I-AA opponents?

Basically you don't consider the MEAC other I-AA opponents, right?
I seem to remember Alcorn, Valley, and TxSo playing other I-AA opponents.

Hansel
December 16th, 2005, 07:48 PM
I could give a crap if they played 10, 11, or 12 games.

But, I would strongly urge I-AA schools to schedule up (i.e. I-A) if a 12th game was granted, and not schedule down (i.e. D-II). If possible, of course.

We all know what my school, UD, would do, now don't we?? LOL
Schedule 3 A-10 schools and WCUPA as non-conf games :p

TexasTerror
December 16th, 2005, 08:12 PM
Basically you don't consider the MEAC other I-AA opponents, right? I seem to remember Alcorn, Valley, and TxSo playing other I-AA opponents.

MEAC is I-AA for sure though and unlike the SWAC get out of conference wins against Div I opponents. I just wish PVA&M and TxSo if they had that 12th game added to their schedule wouldn't throw on another NAIA or Div II school so they could play in-state I-AAs instead of refusing to do so.

PVA&M wouldn't even complete a home-and-home with a SELA team, backing out of their home game with their refs. I don't understand it. They suffer long 8-14 hour road trips in the SWAC as is. Wouldn't playing a home-and-home with an opponent an hour away be nice?

gram4life
December 16th, 2005, 08:40 PM
MEAC is I-AA for sure though and unlike the SWAC get out of conference wins against Div I opponents. I just wish PVA&M and TxSo if they had that 12th game added to their schedule wouldn't throw on another NAIA or Div II school so they could play in-state I-AAs instead of refusing to do so.

PVA&M wouldn't even complete a home-and-home with a SELA team, backing out of their home game with their refs. I don't understand it. They suffer long 8-14 hour road trips in the SWAC as is. Wouldn't playing a home-and-home with an opponent an hour away be nice?

What is it with you and these word games, so outside of 2005 have we (the SWAC) played any OOC and won those games? Did the SWAC win any OOC games last year? Just asking because you seem to only focus on what you want to see. Tell me about the OOC for 04,03,02, and 01. I would like to see this history of not playing OOC.

Catmendue2
December 16th, 2005, 08:48 PM

To be honest who has SHSU played and what have they won, You might could call SHSU a d2 team that plays in the Southland. :cool:

blackfordpu
December 16th, 2005, 08:53 PM
To be honest who has SHSU played and what have they won, You might could call SHSU a d2 team that plays in the Southland. :cool:

Are you serious? We beat Montana at home last season and advanced to the semi-finals only to lose to Montana (sweet revenge for them).

SLC champs in 2001 and 2004. We had a down season this year but I don't see that as being the norm.

TexasTerror
December 16th, 2005, 08:54 PM
What is it with you and these word games, so outside of 2005 have we (the SWAC) played any OOC and won those games? Did the SWAC win any OOC games last year? Just asking because you seem to only focus on what you want to see. Tell me about the OOC for 04,03,02, and 01. I would like to see this history of not playing OOC.

Each of your squads plays only two non-conference. A 12th game would give them each three, right? Most SWAC schools play one Div II or NAIA.

Ark-PB - 1-1 in 2004 (did defeat Paul Quinn) so 0-1, 0-2 in 2003 (against Div II foes), 0-2 in 2002 (against sub Div I foes), 2-0 in 2001 (against sub Div I foes).

Grambling - 2-0 in 2001 against I-AA, 3-1 (1-1 against I-AA) in 2002, 0-2 in 2003, 2-0 in 2004

Southern - 1-2 in 2001, 1-3 (with one win coming against sub Div I) in 2002, 3-0 in 2003 (2-0 against sub Div I), 1-2 (only win against sub Div I) in 2004

MSVU - 0-3 (includes sub Div I loss) in 2001, 2-1 in 2002 (both wins against sub Div I), 1-1 in 2003 (one win against sub Div I, loss to sub Div I), 1-1 in 2004 (one win against sub Div I)

Grambling stands alone in OOC success of the four examples. No reason to bring into play TxSo or PVA&M due to their obvious losses OOC except against sub-Div I competition. College Football Database did not have Alabama St or Alabama A&M or Alcorn or Jackson St. Wonder why?

TexasTerror
December 16th, 2005, 08:56 PM

Since 2001, we beat I-A Louisiana Lafayette and I-A Louisiana Monroe...

Also beat Montana, Mississippi Valley State (twice), Western Illinois, Northern Arizona and Northern Colorado. More wins since 2001 out of conference against Div I foes than perhaps the whole SWAC combined! :)

gram4life
December 16th, 2005, 08:59 PM
Each of your squads plays only two non-conference. A 12th game would give them each three, right? Most SWAC schools play one Div II or NAIA.

Ark-PB - 1-1 in 2004 (did defeat Paul Quinn) so 0-1, 0-2 in 2003 (against Div II foes), 0-2 in 2002 (against sub Div I foes), 2-0 in 2001 (against sub Div I foes).

Grambling - 2-0 in 2001 against I-AA, 3-1 (1-1 against I-AA) in 2002, 0-2 in 2003, 2-0 in 2004

Southern - 1-2 in 2001, 1-3 (with one win coming against sub Div I) in 2002, 3-0 in 2003 (2-0 against sub Div I), 1-2 (only win against sub Div I) in 2004

MSVU - 0-3 (includes sub Div I loss) in 2001, 2-1 in 2002 (both wins against sub Div I), 1-1 in 2003 (one win against sub Div I, loss to sub Div I), 1-1 in 2004 (one win against sub Div I)

Grambling stands alone in OOC success of the four examples. No reason to bring into play TxSo or PVA&M due to their obvious losses OOC except against sub-Div I competition. College Football Database did not have Alabama St or Alabama A&M or Alcorn or Jackson St. Wonder why?

You tell me because Alcorn and Jackson St have both played SLC teams in that time frame. Go Figure????? What was your mission again?

leatherneck177
December 16th, 2005, 09:00 PM
Personally I do not think that it could ever happen. I-AA prides itself as being the highest level of championship playoff football. Thus a twelve game schedule would require either an earlier start date or a playoff schedule that would reach towards Christmas.

Also, the scheduling of a 12th game would possibly make for 15 game seasons for some schools and that may be streching it a bit for many college players in terms of stamina.

Catmendue2
December 16th, 2005, 09:00 PM

Now, why dont you put up the Soutrhland conference OOC successes, Why you at it let see SHSU record. :hurray:

gram4life
December 16th, 2005, 09:04 PM

Also beat Montana, Mississippi Valley State (twice), Western Illinois, Northern Arizona and Northern Colorado. More wins since 2001 out of conference against Div I foes than perhaps the whole SWAC combined! :)

I see you played a SWAC team, hmm. Wow we don't play anybody but SWAC teams and D-II

Just for you, Alcorn 02 Hampton and Samford, Alcorn 03 SFA and SE La, Alcorn 04 NCAT, Howard, and SE La.

Catmendue2
December 16th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Personally I do not think that it could ever happen. I-AA prides itself as being the highest level of championship playoff football. Thus a twelve game schedule would require either an earlier start date or a playoff schedule that would reach towards Christmas.

Also, the scheduling of a 12th game would possibly make for 15 game seasons for some schools and that may be streching it a bit for many college players in terms of stamina.

Nobody's advocating that you have to play 12, but those teams that want to should have that chance. Some team don't play 11 games per year but they can if they chose to.

Catmendue2
December 16th, 2005, 09:10 PM

Besides Montana, who has any of those team beaten and what have they won.

McTailGator
December 16th, 2005, 10:45 PM
Not to get the whole argument started again - but I would rather see the playoffs expand than increase the season to 12 games. But if that isn't an option I say go for the 12 games.

The AD's will not support additional playoff games.

They need Big money games to pay the bills.

Keep it at 16 and hard to acheive...

mikebigg
December 17th, 2005, 09:26 AM
The 12 game mandate would work for the SWAC and definitely Grambling... I also think it could work for 1AA schools as potential money makers.

Since I see things from a Grambling perspective... It would allow us to adhere to the 9 game mandate (something I understand the reasoning behind...even if some aspects of it I don't like), but also allow us to play 1 SLC game (would be great to play McNeese/Northwestern in alternate years in Shreveport), D1 "$$" game, and A MEAC Classic.

I am not in favor of the playoffs for Grambling. Not that I wouldn't enjoy playing you guys but the way the $$$ breaks out isn't in our best interest.

Purple Pride
December 28th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Who said they're looking at 12 games? Are there any releases on this, or is it all rumor?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 28th, 2005, 10:55 AM
I don't like 12 games, even in years when 12 games is an option. With the I-AA playoffs, it's just too much to ask some teams to play 16 games in a season. Furthermore, it gives more schools a chance to "chase the money" with I-A schools, which also leads to more injuries.

The SWAC suffers greatly from the self-imposed '9 game rule' which states that SWAC teams have to play 9 conference games each year, not counting the championship game. This unfairly limits their OOC possibilities, and when they do, they generally pick great MEAC/SWAC classics that fill up stadiums. Can't say that I blame anybody, but it leads to a lot of "matchup inbreeding" with the HBCU's.

In my dream, the SWAC and MEAC are both in the I-AA playoffs and play a 10-game regular season, playing 7 conference games and 3 OOCs. The I-AA playoffs are 24 teams, and the SWAC/MEAC winner play a "Heritage Bowl" to determine who makes the round of 16. Furthermore, the "Heritage Bowl" then would be in effect the HBCU championship game, instead of another tired SWAC championship game matchup. IMVHO, it would be the best thing to happen to HBCU's in years.

11 game seasons are the best for I-AA, even in years where schedules can support 12.

henfan
December 28th, 2005, 12:00 PM
NCAA Division I proposal 2005-128, which would allow I-AA teams to compete in 12 regular season games each year, will be forwarded to D-I Management Council for consideration at their April 2006 meeting. If approved, the measure would take effect August 1, 2006. That date was moved up in the admendment by the sponsor back in October of this year. Originally, the admendment would have kicked in August 1, 2007. (If this passes, there could be a lot of I-AA teams looking for games for 2006.)

Like it or not (and I don't), I'm told there is considerable support for this amendment this time around; of course, my source was a biased. The sponsors might have enough votes to overcome the close "no" decision the measure had when it was voted on last year. We'll see.

http://www2.ncaa.org/legislation_and_governance/rules_and_bylaws/legislative_actions_and_issues/d1_official_notice.html

http://www.ncaa.org/library/membership/d1_official_notice/2006/seasons.doc

http://www.gotchatix.com/images/ncaab_delawarestatehornets.jpg vs. http://www.dmbtickets.com/images/ncaab_delawarebluehens.jpg ...finally? xprost2x

TexasTerror
December 28th, 2005, 12:27 PM
I hope Sam already has this worked out incase it passes. I'd personally love to play Central Arkansas or old SLC rival Jacksonville St (from the OVC)...

colgate13
December 28th, 2005, 12:35 PM
I don't like 12 games, even in years when 12 games is an option. With the I-AA playoffs, it's just too much to ask some teams to play 16 games in a season.

What do the players and coaches think? Only two teams out of 120 would actually end up playing 16 games. Only four teams out of 120 would actually play 15 games... etc.

In fact, 104 out of 120 teams would only see their season increase by one game, which would probably make a lot of people happy.

Furthermore, it gives more schools a chance to "chase the money" with I-A schools, which also leads to more injuries.

I hate this statement and I hear it often enough. There are no facts to back this up.

Go...gate
December 28th, 2005, 01:09 PM
I love 1-AA football, but 12 games seems like too many. Open dates are good for allowing injuries to heal, getting in some extra schoolwork, etc.

Grizo406
December 28th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Can't say I care that much for 12 games.

The Griz played 12 games this past season, and that 12th game hurt us. :bawling: :p

henfan
December 28th, 2005, 01:34 PM
I love 1-AA football, but 12 games seems like too many. Open dates are good for allowing injuries to heal, getting in some extra schoolwork, etc.

I agree wholeheartedly, however, I also understand the need to offset costs with the chance for additional revenue. Too bad that money has to trump the student-athletes' best interests.

FWIW, the OVC is sponsoring this piece of legislation but they are not the only supporters.

JSU Fan
December 28th, 2005, 02:24 PM
FWIW, the OVC is sponsoring this piece of legislation but they are not the only supporters.
That's true. The OVC would like it to allow the league members to each play a eight-game league schedule and have the freedom to schedule four non-conference games if they chose too.

The OVC has a long-time agreement that allows Tennessee State to play four "classic" games and that means that each year TSU and one other league program only play seven conference games. This hasn't affected the league champion in the past three years but sooner or later it will if it's not remedied.

If the 12-game schedule passes, IMHO the OVC leadership should go one step further and enact rules to eliminate any OOC games outside of D-1. That step (along with possibly winning some OOC games :smiley_wi ) would help the league position itself to perhaps earn multiple playoff berths again.

Out.

McTailGator
December 28th, 2005, 08:59 PM
Who said they're looking at 12 games? Are there any releases on this, or is it all rumor?

The NCAA I-AA committee is expected to vote for the possibility of 12 games in April.

December 28th, 2005, 10:43 PM
The NCAA I-AA committee is expected to vote for the possibility of 12 games in April.Date(s) Meeting Location
1/6/2006-1/10/2006 Division I Board of Directors Indianapolis, IN
1/6/2006-1/10/2006 Division I Management Council Indianapolis, IN
1/11/2006-1/12/2006 Division I Football Issues Committee Dallas, TX
2/6/2006-2/8/2006 Division I Championships/Competition Cabinet Savannah, GA
2/15/2006-2/17/2006 Division I-AA Football Committee Key West, FL

txstatebobcat
December 29th, 2005, 12:55 AM
I agree 100%. besides if your goal is to play for an NC, playing 12 games is not in your best interest.

blackfordpu
December 29th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Date(s) Meeting Location
1/6/2006-1/10/2006 Division I Board of Directors Indianapolis, IN
1/6/2006-1/10/2006 Division I Management Council Indianapolis, IN
1/11/2006-1/12/2006 Division I Football Issues Committee Dallas, TX
2/6/2006-2/8/2006 Division I Championships/Competition Cabinet Savannah, GA
2/15/2006-2/17/2006 Division I-AA Football Committee Key West, FL

That does not seem to allow much time to find a 12th opponent.

TexasTerror
December 29th, 2005, 12:48 PM

Seems loads of schools have contracts pending with this one and that it's not required, but an option forever and always...

I hope Sam has a contract with someone. Would love a 12th game, no matter who against because simply put, I love I-AA football. I'd personally love if SHSU got Central Arkansas. They'd count as Div II, but with 12 games, we play two Div II, two Div I-As, we'll have to win the SLC anyways to talk playoffs, which is the same scenario we're looking at with 11 games...

I believe McNeese has a pending contract with Appalachian State...

blackfordpu
December 29th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Seems loads of schools have contracts pending with this one and that it's not required, but an option forever and always...

I hope Sam has a contract with someone. Would love a 12th game, no matter who against because simply put, I love I-AA football. I'd personally love if SHSU got Central Arkansas. They'd count as Div II, but with 12 games, we play two Div II, two Div I-As, we'll have to win the SLC anyways to talk playoffs, which is the same scenario we're looking at with 11 games...

I believe McNeese has a pending contract with Appalachian State...

That would be a great game. I might have to go to that one. :)

TexasTerror
December 29th, 2005, 01:08 PM
That would be a great game. I might have to go to that one. :)

Boone in 2006, Lake Charles in 2007...

That's what it seems like. I may have to make the trip from NOLA to Lake Charles for that one as well. We'll see.

SoCon48
December 29th, 2005, 01:18 PM
12 game schedule equals 16 for the National Champion and Co-Champion.
That sukks for coaches, players, and grades.

JCline

SoCon48
December 29th, 2005, 01:19 PM
I agree 100%. besides if your goal is to play for an NC, playing 12 games is not in your best interest.
EXACTLY!

Go...gate
December 29th, 2005, 04:26 PM
I guess I'm unrealistic, but I think of 1-AA football as having a greater percentage of true student-athletes among its players than 1-A. Since the players are probably not NFL material, earning that college degree - and the doors it opens - has greater importance. The extra time provided by one fewer game may be very important.

Cap'n Cat
December 29th, 2005, 04:35 PM
The 12 game mandate would work for the SWAC and definitely Grambling... I also think it could work for 1AA schools as potential money makers.

Since I see things from a Grambling perspective... It would allow us to adhere to the 9 game mandate (something I understand the reasoning behind...even if some aspects of it I don't like), but also allow us to play 1 SLC game (would be great to play McNeese/Northwestern in alternate years in Shreveport), D1 "$$" game, and A MEAC Classic.

I am not in favor of the playoffs for Grambling. Not that I wouldn't enjoy playing you guys but the way the $$$ breaks out isn't in our best interest.

The money you're so interested in doesn't do a damned thing for the SWAC. Still have stanky stadiums and no money to reinvest. Read the SWAC board, Mike. Where does that money go? Certainly not to upgrading football down there.

:rolleyes:

skinny_uncle
December 29th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Had the same thought myself. What will this do to the 7 win requirement to be considered for the playoffs? If it is changed to 8, it will pretty much force teams to go to a 12 game schedule, like it or not. Scheduling the extra game the first year could be a major headache. Scheduling 11 quality games is already a hassle for many of the top programs. How many of you guys really want to go to Carbondale, Cedar Falls, Bozeman or the Tub? (I could give more examples as I am sure those of you who felt neglected will point out). Adding a 12th game against a DII or a I-A will not help if an 8 win season becomes the standard for the playoffs. Is there that much money to be gained by adding a twelfth game?

Tod
December 29th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Adding a 12th game against a DII or a I-A will not help if an 8 win season becomes the standard for the playoffs.

Well, at least there's a chance that some of the elite I-AA teams can knock off a I-A. I know it doesn't happen often, but if you schedule an Idaho, NMSU, Buffalo, Temple, etc. you've got a darn good chance. Scheduling an Oregon, LSU, Texas A@M probably won't do it for you.

(With all due props to UC Davis for knocking of Stansford. :) :) ).

skinny_uncle
December 29th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Darn good chances on the road become pretty slim. SIU has lost their last 3 games against MAC teams by a total of 10 points. I doubt if Buffalo or Temple is interested in scheduling us. Our I-A opponents the next 3 years are Indiana, Northern Illinois, and Northwestern. We may be competitive in these games but more than one win against them will shock me. Adding another I-A to any season will not help. The teams we could beat (Sunbelt or MAC bottomfeeders) probably will look elsewhere for opponents. They are trying to buy a win.

Tod
December 29th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Darn good chances on the road become pretty slim. SIU has lost their last 3 games against MAC teams by a total of 10 points. I doubt if Buffalo or Temple is interested in scheduling us. Our I-A opponents the next 3 years are Indiana, Northern Illinois, and Northwestern. We may be competitive in these games but more than one win against them will shock me. Adding another I-A to any season will not help. The teams we could beat (Sunbelt or MAC bottomfeeders) probably will look elsewhere for opponents. They are trying to buy a win.

True. Good points.