PDA

View Full Version : Non-HBCU vs HBCU Classics

TexasTerror
October 16th, 2009, 09:52 AM
With SHSU and SFA about to lock horns in a "Classic" at Reliant Stadium, starting in 2010 (see: http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64186), I question those who have a good bit of memory...

"What non-HBCU vs HBCU Classics have occurred in the past during the regular season?"

If there have been any, have any of them been successful? I guess the one good thing working for the Kats and Jacks is that Houston is the home base to a large base of Bearkat fans/alums, same goes for the Jacks.

UAalum72
October 16th, 2009, 10:09 AM
2008 - NAACP Harmony Classic, New Britain CT. North Carolina Central vs. Central Connecticut State. Set Northeast Conference attendance record (8,322 in a 10,000 seat stadium).

TexasTerror
October 16th, 2009, 10:19 AM
2008 - NAACP Harmony Classic, New Britain CT. North Carolina Central vs. Central Connecticut State. Set Northeast Conference attendance record (8,322 in a 10,000 seat stadium).

Meant non-HBCU vs non-NBCU...

And I am also referring to games where a promoter obviously played a role (i.e. the Texans), not "home games" like Nicholls has played at Tad Gormley in New Orleans in the past...

SU Jag
October 16th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I don't remember too many lasting that long. The long-running one that I remember is the one at arrowhead between pittsburgh state and nw mo. State, other than that a lot of them don't last too long because of lack of money and fans showing up. Just like any classic it has to be the "right" match-up and you have to pick two teams with fanbases that are willing to travel. There is more to a classic than just the game, and you have to keep that in mind. Most hbcu classics serve as unofficial family reunions and class reunions, and the activities such as tailgating start wednesday of the particular week. I think it could work but it has to be the right schools.

txstatebobcat
October 16th, 2009, 11:29 AM
While I don't see 50,000+ checking out the the SHSU vs SFA game, 20,000 or more shouldn't be to hard to do. I'm sure both schools have large number of alumni in the Houston area.

WestCoastAggie
October 16th, 2009, 12:53 PM
The World's Largest Cocktail Party
The Red River Rivalry (Shootout)

TexasTerror
October 16th, 2009, 01:10 PM
The World's Largest Cocktail Party
The Red River Rivalry (Shootout)

And the Southwest Classic...but all those games are FBS. We're talking FCS. xnodx

While I don't see 50,000+ checking out the the SHSU vs SFA game, 20,000 or more shouldn't be to hard to do. I'm sure both schools have large number of alumni in the Houston area.

20-25k would be great. Even better is the pub! xnodx

WestCoastAggie
October 16th, 2009, 01:17 PM
The Southland could have a "Classic" game over in Frisco, TX. SFA Vs. Tx. St. or create SWAC/Southland game with Southern (They travel great!)

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 16th, 2009, 02:34 PM
We get 3 or 4 hundred fans at the "Freeze Your A$$ Off Classic" the weekend before Thanksgiving every other year in Orono.

ccd494
October 16th, 2009, 04:16 PM
We get 3 or 4 hundred fans at the "Freeze Your A$$ Off Classic" the weekend before Thanksgiving every other year in Orono.

You know.... Maine and UNH could get kind of a Florida-Georgia or Oklahoma-Texas thing going and just play in Portland every year. Closer to UNH's campus than Orono, but still in the state of Maine.

I bet they'd get 10,000 every year.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 16th, 2009, 04:22 PM
You know.... Maine and UNH could get kind of a Florida-Georgia or Oklahoma-Texas thing going and just play in Portland every year. Closer to UNH's campus than Orono, but still in the state of Maine.

I bet they'd get 10,000 every year.

Makes too much sense neither school would go for itxnodx
Also I'm not sure where they could play it.

They did do it in hockey a couple years back.

ccd494
October 16th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Makes too much sense neither school would go for itxnodx
Also I'm not sure where they could play it.

They did do it in hockey a couple years back.

UNH usually plays a game against Maine at the Verizon Center in Manchester when they have the two game home series.

I can't remember Maine giving up a game in the Alfond for a Portland game against UNH though (except the season the Whit was under construction and UNH played a bunch of home games in Portland).