PDA

View Full Version : Mid-Season Walter Payton Winner Poll

smallcollegefbfan
October 15th, 2009, 10:01 AM
If you had to pick the winner who would it be and why. Vote away!

Major typo! Meant to have Randolph and messed up when I was moving guys to make room for one more. Please vote for the second Pulley as your vote for Randolph. Sorry!

jaxstatealum
October 15th, 2009, 10:36 AM
His numbers to this point make him a no brainer... Perilloux xthumbsupx

http://robsealersports.blogspot.com/2009/10/where-in-world-is-ryan-perriloux.html

UNHFootballAlum
October 15th, 2009, 10:51 AM
AE is a great player, but does not have the stats at this point to merit the award. i pick Deji Karim. he is having a monster year

PhoenixMan
October 15th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Terrell Hudgins.......career receptions leader for all of college football, soon to pass Jerry Rice for most yards receiving. And, his stats this year are phenomenal again.

PhoenixPhan06
October 15th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Terrell Hudgins.......career receptions leader for all of college football, soon to pass Jerry Rice for most yards receiving. And, his stats this year are phenomenal again.

He's also been a phenomenal cheerleader while the defense has been on the field this season. So far he's cheered from the megaphone after a big catch, and last week went crazy with the thundersticks for most of the fourth quarter.

jmufan999
October 15th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Pat Grace.

mcveyrl
October 15th, 2009, 12:00 PM
He's also been a phenomenal cheerleader while the defense has been on the field this season. So far he's cheered from the megaphone after a big catch, and last week went crazy with the thundersticks for most of the fourth quarter.

Really? Can an athlete do that? That's pretty cool.

putter
October 15th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Perilloux is having a great year and is a huge reason for Jax St.'s success. I would also add Mariani to that list.

PhoenixPhan06
October 15th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Really? Can an athlete do that? That's pretty cool.

The megaphone stunt was brief enough that none of the refs caught it but the thundersticks went on for a good 5-10 mins between the elon bench and the student section. You can really tell he enjoys being a college football player and I couldn't be more proud to have him at Elon!

Skjellyfetti
October 15th, 2009, 12:18 PM
I voted other - Scott Riddle

BarefootApp
October 15th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Armanti needs 52 yards Saturday to reach the 8000/4000 yards mark. Considering he has missed alot of playing time, that is a remarkable feat (the only time in FCS football and only once in FBS) and will surely add to his recognition nationally. All are great players. Let's hope everyone remains healthy and has a great second half.

jmufan999
October 15th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Perilloux is having a great year and is a huge reason for Jax St.'s success. I would also add Mariani to that list.

a WR has only won the award once, don't count on it. it's been a QB or RB every other year. if they can find a way to give it to a QB, they will. just like the Heisman and NFL MVP.

grizband
October 15th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Armanti needs 52 yards Saturday to reach the 8000/4000 yards mark. Considering he has missed alot of playing time, that is a remarkable feat (the only time in FCS football and only once in FBS) and will surely add to his recognition nationally. All are great players. Let's hope everyone remains healthy and has a great second half.
True, but this award should be based on what a player has accomplished this season, without consideration of their career statistics. Armanti is no doubt of the greats in FCS lore, but this should not help him with the Payton voting in 2009.

Rekdiver
October 15th, 2009, 12:49 PM
All are worthy nominations.....WAY too early to make a decision.....so I won't.

BarefootApp
October 15th, 2009, 12:51 PM
I agree with you, grizband, but those voters are human and that is the X factor.

ElonPride
October 15th, 2009, 01:03 PM
I voted other - Scott Riddle

Is that sarcasm?

Skjellyfetti
October 15th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Is that sarcasm?

No... I also said in the other midseason Payton thread last week I'd vote for him at this point of the season.

Pitz
October 15th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Tough call right now between Pat Grace and Ryan Perrilloux. Terrell Hudgins is also an enticing pick.

Skjellyfetti
October 15th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Scott Riddle
1,799 yards passing. 13 touchdowns 2 interceptions.

Pat Grace
1,470 yards passing. 15 touchdowns 2 interceptions.

Ryan Perriloux
1,279 yards passing. 15 touchdows 1 interception

ElonPride
October 15th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Scott Riddle

Pat Grace

Ryan Perriloux

He's also up there on my list and I'm surprised his name is not in too many conversations. He had a streak of something like 218 passing attempts (SoCon record) without an INT. That streak was broken against GSU.

I ad to go with Hudgins in this poll just for the simple fact he's about to be the FCS all time leading recevier.

elcid03
October 15th, 2009, 02:47 PM

BFD...he is dood at cheering! Walter Payton here he comes....stupid.

appirishmen
October 15th, 2009, 02:48 PM
AE is a great player, but does not have the stats at this point to merit the award. i pick Deji Karim. he is having a monster year

i agree. but i like UR's QB

McNeese75
October 15th, 2009, 02:50 PM
xconfusedx What am I missing here? Why is the FAMU QB listed twice? xlolx

GATA
October 15th, 2009, 06:41 PM
BFD...he is dood at cheering! Walter Payton here he comes....stupid.

I'll tell you what. You couldn't be a bigger f*ggot. carry on.

Redbirdz
October 15th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Ryan Perriloux is the man. LSU might have beaten Florida had he still be a tiger.

UNIFanSince1983
October 15th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Sorry I voted homer and voted for Pat Grace, but I feel like it is a little bit early. I think Ryan Perrilloux is also very deserving.

I can't wait to see Karim run this weekend to see him for myself. I have heard how good he is, and he has huge numbers. We will see if he puts up big numbers against a pretty stout UNI defense.

PantherRob82
October 15th, 2009, 08:09 PM
I voted for Karim.

MSUBear42
October 15th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Pat Grace

CDT_Wilson
October 15th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Scott Riddle

Pat Grace

Ryan Perriloux

Thing about Grace's numbers, he has only played two full games. The rest of them he was pretty much done at half time.

LAWdiddy
October 15th, 2009, 08:46 PM
And Riddle wasn't? He was gone early against Davidson, PC, and the Citadel b/c of blowouts

Gil Dobie
October 15th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Karim xthumbsupx

PhoenixSupreme
October 15th, 2009, 09:14 PM
I went homer vote as well, voting for Hudgins...my 2nd choice would be Karim though....

UNIFanSince1983
October 15th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Riddle is obviously a great QB, but does Elon ever run the ball? He has 234 pass attempts this year. It is impressive that he has only thrown 2 interceptions in that many attempts. He should definitely be a serious candidate for this award.

PhoenixMan
October 15th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Riddle is obviously a great QB, but does Elon ever run the ball? He has 234 pass attempts this year. It is impressive that he has only thrown 2 interceptions in that many attempts. He should definitely be a serious candidate for this award.

Actually they have racked a lot of yards running the ball this year. Matter of fact, with 2 easy games to start the year and a blowout of El Cid, all of which were over early, they have stayed on the ground more than they would in a close game. That being said.......yes, they do like to air it out xnodx

Kiss My Apps
October 16th, 2009, 05:48 AM

Missing the season opener and the bye week has impacted how Armanti's statistics match up with the rest of the field. After it all shakes out he will be in the running.

DOME
October 16th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Scott Riddle

Pat Grace

Ryan Perriloux

Don't forget to mention that Pat has also ran for four TD's. Add to that that four of the six games he has been done by halftime or shortly after.

Not that he is the only stud out there. I just really like the way he can be a 240lb bruiser in the redzone.

skinny_uncle
October 16th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Karim of the crop.

8.78 yards/carry kind of jumps out at you.

smallcollegefbfan
October 16th, 2009, 07:56 AM
I can honestly say that by my humbled opinion that Perrilloux, Karim, and Hudgins have been the most dominant players of anyone in the nation and are the 3 most deserving players based on the way they have played. Had AE not missed the ECU game and the second half against NCCU then I think he would have the numbers and overall performance to be included in that but as a voter in this award and someone who has seen everyone I will say that AE would be fourth on my ballot right now behind 1. Karim 2. Perrilloux 3. Hudgins. I would say 5th on my ballot would either be Devlin, Pulley, or Randolph.

On another note I think Karim is the best NFL prospect of all the RBs on the list. Evans is a solid player but I don't think he has the top end speed to be more than a free agent while Ford is small and lacks that outstanding explosiveness that Karim has. It seems Karim can get to full speed in one step while it takes 3 or so for Ford. Karim would be a 2nd-3rd round type prospect if not for the injury as a junior and the fact he is 5'8 3/4. If he was 5'11 and had played last year his name would be at the top of most draft charts.

ElonPride
October 16th, 2009, 08:27 AM

Our starting RB sat out the games against Furman and GSU due to an injury. Jamal Shuman rushed for 120 against DC, 190 v. PC & 167 last week versus The Citadel. When he is healthy, this is a pretty balanced offense.

gophoenix
October 16th, 2009, 08:28 AM

Shuman with 525 yards on the season (2nd in conference)
Harris with 320 yards (7th in conference)
Newsome with 95 (just came back from injury)

So, yes, we run some.

jaxstatealum
October 16th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Thing about Grace's numbers, he has only played two full games. The rest of them he was pretty much done at half time.

Same could be said for RP; and he missed the entire first game. Need to also consider rushing stats... Just saying.... xthumbsupx

Skjellyfetti
October 16th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Same could be said for RP; and he missed the entire first game.

Because he was suspended...

And I had forgotten about that. Would it have an impact on Payton voting? I know off the field issues would hamper one's Heisman campaign... would it be the same for the Payton?

jaxstatealum
October 16th, 2009, 12:41 PM
I guess it certainly could. Who knows... xcoolx I know that you can't exclude character issues and I make no excuses for RP. What I do know is that anyone on any team that does not have some issues cast the first stone... ;)

I just think that based on numbers alone - and some personal bias :D - Ryan should win the award IF he stays at this pace.

SpidersSportsEditor
October 16th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Glad you included Eric Ward on the poll, since he STILL isn't on the watch list for the award. Kinda hurts the credibility of the watch list if you ask me, since many of you have agreed that he is probably the second most accomplished QB in the FCS. He would never win even if he were on the watch list because he isn't flashy enough, but leaving him off the list completely is a joke.

ASU_Fanatic
October 16th, 2009, 09:18 PM
AE is gonna win it.

jaxstatealum
October 17th, 2009, 06:27 AM
AE is gonna win it.

On this board - I agree 100%; there are like a jillion Appy fans on the board xwhistlex

PhoenixMan
October 17th, 2009, 09:05 AM
On this board - I agree 100%; there are like a jillion Appy fans on the board xwhistlex

Nope, just a billion or so now. A couple of early losses and an overtime scare against El Cid has cut down the happy appy posts significantly.xlolx

phoenix3
October 17th, 2009, 09:07 AM
It would be very hard not to choose Terrell Hudgins if he breaks Jerry Rice's record. The kid also blocks, unlike many WR's.

Aside from acolades for on the field, he off the field, is one of the nicest, most modest, friendly and community oriented top knotch players I have ever met.

ItsyBitsySpider
October 17th, 2009, 09:29 AM
I'll take Ward ....you can keep the stats. Going for15 in a row today.

Houndawg
October 17th, 2009, 10:36 AM
It would be very hard not to choose Terrell Hudgins if he breaks Jerry Rice's record. The kid also blocks, unlike many WR's.

Aside from acolades for on the field, he off the field, is one of the nicest, most modest, friendly and community oriented top knotch players I have ever met.

Right now I have him behind Grace and Karim.