PDA

View Full Version : Article on "Minority" Football Players at HBCUs

TexasTerror
October 14th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Interesting piece...looks like TSU lost a good one to UNLV, but as the article says, it was an unforgettable experience for the kicker...

UNLV senior kicker Kyle Watson doesn't think of himself as a pioneer or a trailblazer by being among the first white players at historically black Texas Southern.

He just wanted to play football.

In the fall of 2005, he got more out of kicking for the Tigers and attending classes at the Houston institution than he could have imagined when he left Southern California.

Like Marcus Jacoby, the first white starting quarterback in the history of Southern University in Baton Rouge, La., in 1996, Watson received a daily education.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009/oct/12/unlv-kickers-desire-play-led-unconventional-path/

3rd Coast Tiger
October 14th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Watson left Texas Southern after the fall semester of 2005. He was homesick, wanted to play in the FBS instead of the FCS (former I-AA) and, well, all that losing had taken a toll.

He wasn't a "pioneer" as a white player playing at Texas Southern. We've had hundreds that played and were very successful. Curtis Neal comes to mind as one of our tight ends that played in the late 80's went on to SWAC honors.

Ronbo
October 14th, 2009, 05:03 PM
I don't get the minority label. African Americans dominate College Football, College Basketball, NFL Football, and NBA Basketball. There's no minority.xconfusedx

soccerguy315
October 14th, 2009, 06:03 PM
I don't get the minority label. African Americans dominate College Football, College Basketball, NFL Football, and NBA Basketball. There's no minority.xconfusedx

he's white. The white guy is the minority.

SU Jag
October 14th, 2009, 06:24 PM
How was he one of the 1st white players at Texas Southern in 2005?xconfusedx Sounds like someone needs a history lesson.

3rd Coast Tiger
October 14th, 2009, 08:06 PM
How was he one of the 1st white players at Texas Southern in 2005?xconfusedx Sounds like someone needs a history lesson.

Exactly! All the reporter had to do was pick up the phone or send an email to reach out to our SID to get factual information.

mrklean
October 14th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Typical, trying to make a big deal out of nothing. When I was at Albany State College in 1986, we had two white guys on our football team. In fact one of then was our pitcher on my baseball team. They were our team mates period. No different. In fact, me and Beau got caught out side after lights out talking to two girls from the nursing program.

SU Jag
October 14th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Typical, trying to make a big deal out of nothing. When I was at Albany State College in 1986, we had two white guys on our football team. In fact one of then was our pitcher on my baseball team. They were our team mates period. No different. In fact, me and Beau got caught out side after lights out talking to two girls from the nursing program.

My father played at Bama State in the late 70s and their best d-lineman was a white kid from Brewton, Al by the name of John Walters(my godfather).xnodx

mrklean
October 14th, 2009, 10:17 PM
My father played at Bama State in the late 70s and their best d-lineman was a white kid from Brewton, Al by the name of John Walters(my godfather).xnodx

Don't tell TT thisxlolx

mikebigg
October 15th, 2009, 12:23 AM
You guys better be careful mentioning him by name... mods don't like that. Regardless of the number of these Limbaughish threads he starts.

TexasTerror
October 15th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Exactly! All the reporter had to do was pick up the phone or send an email to reach out to our SID to get factual information.

This was a college newspaper if I am not mistaken. I'll cut him the slack, though he may have contacted the SID...

Mod22
October 15th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Please keep personal bickering out of the threads.

Schfourteenteen
October 15th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Intresting article.