PDA

View Full Version : Spokane Washington bids for NC game

danefan
October 14th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Courtesy of the folks over on the other board:
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2009/oct/13/riverhawks-to-sit-out-2010/

Eastern bids on title game

College football: The Spokane Regional Sports Commission and Eastern Washington University have submitted a bid to host the NCAA Division I Football Championship Game at Joe Albi Staium for three years, beginning in 2011.

Chattanooga, Tenn., has been the host city the past 10 years, and will again host the 2009 event on Dec. 18. But the NCAA, according Chris Frye, the SRSC director of marketing and research, has solicited bids for next year. At that time, the title game will be moved to the first Friday of January, prior to the Bowl Championship Subdivision title game.

Today is the deadline for submitting bids to host the 2010 championship game, which will again be televised by ESPN. Frye has heard that Chattanooga, Missoula, Mont., and Phoenix, Ariz., are among other cities expected to bid.

According to Frye, the NCAA likely won’t make a determination of a host city until the first week of March.

EWU athletic director Bill Chaves called the prospect “exciting for the entire region.”

HensRock
October 14th, 2009, 10:14 AM
The only times it was ever held out on the west coast, the attendance was abysmal!
Hopefully, the committee has not forgotten their history.

1985 Tacoma, WA Attendance 5306
1986 Tacoma, WA Attendance 4419

MplsBison
October 14th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Good to see Phoenix though! Warm weather and hub airport.

GannonFan
October 14th, 2009, 12:22 PM
I would certainly like Phoenix - relatively easy to get to, especially considering the alternatives.

Spokane would only interest me if I could also swing Gonzaga tickets for a hoop game. If I'm heading all the way out there, might as well make the most of it!