PDA

View Full Version : Game of the Week - Week 7

89Hen
October 12th, 2009, 01:00 PM
What is the I-AA game of the week?

TCisMYhero
October 12th, 2009, 01:00 PM
#5 @ #2 sounds pretty appealing to me. Homer pick.

89Hen
October 12th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Definitely appealing, but there are several solid choices that will all have HUGE playoff implications. xpeacex

TCisMYhero
October 12th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Guess you know who I voted for.

soccerguy315
October 12th, 2009, 01:06 PM
definitely Southern Illinois @Northern Iowa

appstate38
October 12th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Seems kinda obivious to me!

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 12th, 2009, 01:07 PM
No UNH/UMass?

Not that I would have voted that way, but...

89Hen
October 12th, 2009, 01:09 PM
No UNH/UMass?

Not that I would have voted that way, but...
Had UMass beaten UD on Saturday I would have had them in there, but... xpeacex

Skjellyfetti
October 12th, 2009, 01:12 PM
FAMU - SC State imo.

Winner will be going to the playoffs, loser is probably out.

UNHFootballAlum
October 12th, 2009, 01:16 PM
I chose UNI/SIU, but the Villanova/JMU, FAMU/SCSU & UCA are big games this weekend

OL FU
October 12th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I was all over FAMU and SCST until SIU and UNI showed up on the list.

89Hen
October 12th, 2009, 01:27 PM
I was all over FAMU and SCST until SIU and UNI showed up on the list.
I think it really depends on what each person thinks is important.

The loser of SIU/UNI is still in a great position to make the playoffs, but the winner has an inside track to a seed.

The loser of FAMU/SCSt can't feel too good about their chances.

If UCA beats SFA, they are one huge step closer to claiming the Southland without being eligible (have we ever had that happen in an autobid conf?)

Villanova can pretty much eliminate JMU.

Etc...

UNIFanSince1983
October 12th, 2009, 01:50 PM
I picked UNI/SIU because it is a top 5 match up. But other games might have bigger playoff implications. I really liked FAMU/SCSU, and UCA/SFA

Surprised no one have voted for the Marker Game yet either. If NDSU comes out with some fire like they did last weekend, they could possibly throw a wrench into SDSUs plans for a conference title or possibly even their playoff hopes.

Big Dawg
October 12th, 2009, 01:53 PM
I had to go with #22 FAMU vs. #11 SCSU...FAMU hasn't beaten the Bulldogs in 8 years and this game has MAJOR playoff implications.

There is alot riding on this game and it's looking like it's gonna be a sell out.

WestCoastAggie
October 12th, 2009, 01:56 PM
FAMU/SCSU is an Elimination game to end all Elimination games! But that SIU/NIU game has the chance for the "biggest" upset of the season.

BTW: the FAMU/SCSU game is already sold out!

813Jag
October 12th, 2009, 01:56 PM
I had to go with #22 FAMU vs. #11 SCSU...FAMU hasn't beaten the Bulldogs in 8 years and this game has MAJOR playoff implications.

There is alot riding on this game and it's looking like it's gonna be a sell out.
any TV for this game?

WestCoastAggie
October 12th, 2009, 02:03 PM
any TV for this game?
ESPNU & ESPN360

WrenFGun
October 12th, 2009, 02:10 PM
UNI/SIU is a no-brainer but SCSU/FAMU will determine a playoff spot.

UCABEARS75
October 12th, 2009, 02:11 PM
I think it really depends on what each person thinks is important.

The loser of SIU/UNI is still in a great position to make the playoffs, but the winner has an inside track to a seed.

The loser of FAMU/SCSt can't feel too good about their chances.

If UCA beats SFA, they are one huge step closer to claiming the Southland without being eligible (have we ever had that happen in an autobid conf?)

Villanova can pretty much eliminate JMU.

Etc...

Yeah, we did it last year. UCA was 6-1 with a win over Tx State who was declared conf. champion and received the autobid. (Correct decision by the way).

SU Jag
October 12th, 2009, 02:22 PM
SC State/ FAMU. The fans have been pointing towards this game since the beginning of the season! This game will be huge, and the atmosphere will be amazing! I wish I could have made it up to this one but I'll be at the ou/texas this weekend.

Ivytalk
October 12th, 2009, 02:24 PM
definitely Southern Illinois @Northern Iowa

I agree, although there are several intriguing matchups.:)

RattlerFan70
October 12th, 2009, 02:25 PM
any TV for this game?

The game will be televised live on ESPN360.com at 2:00 p.m. and air nationally via taped delay at 10:30 p.m. Eastern Time on ESPNU…..

813Jag
October 12th, 2009, 02:30 PM
The game will be televised live on ESPN360.com at 2:00 p.m. and air nationally via taped delay at 10:30 p.m. Eastern Time on ESPNU…..
thanks! xthumbsupx

DOME
October 12th, 2009, 02:32 PM
While other games might have more at stake in terms of playoffs, I chose SIU @ UNI just because its been such a GREAT game the last decade or more!
Last second FG in 2008, stopped at the six in 2007! Its gonna be a BATTLE!!

SUUTbird
October 12th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Why isnt Cal Poly and Southern Utah on that list? This game very well will decide the Great West Conference Champion in 2009 as these two are the teams to beat in the conference. I vote for this game xthumbsupx

Squealofthepig
October 12th, 2009, 02:36 PM
I'd really like to see about half those games, though for different reasons.

UNI/SIU still has to be the game of the week. Nice to see two teams in the top five duke it out who aren't from the CAA. ;)

FAMU/SCState - Huge playoff implications, and I haven't seen either team play.

Richmond/Maine - clash of a rising power vs. a past power. How often does Vegas get to say "take the spiders over the bears"?

SFA/Central Arkansas: Will go a long way in determining the possibility of multiple bids in the Southland.

And of course, Nova and JMU, just on general FCS love for the game. :)

Silenoz
October 12th, 2009, 02:38 PM
^

jstclmet
October 12th, 2009, 02:39 PM
I voted SIU/UNI, but the top 6/7 games are all interesting.

Fear the Bird
October 12th, 2009, 02:42 PM
It sure feels nice not to have a game up for nomination this week after 3 straight and 4 of 5! Gotta love the competition week in and week out in the CAA but every once in a while having a Saturday where you don't have to worry about a win is nice (no disrespect to Towson meant of course) xpeacex

jstclmet
October 12th, 2009, 02:43 PM
It sure feels nice not to have a game up for nomination this week after 3 straight and 4 of 5! Gotta love the competition week in and week out in the CAA but every once in a while having a Saturday where you don't have to worry about a win is nice (no disrespect to Towson meant of course) xpeacex

Be careful what you wish for. That's probably what URI was thinking Friday night xpeacex

Fear the Bird
October 12th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Be careful what you wish for. That's probably what URI was thinking Friday night xpeacex

Touche xbowx

appmaj
October 12th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Easy one...again

BEAR
October 12th, 2009, 05:10 PM
I chose the SFA/UCA game for two reasons

1. SFA is #1 is scoring offense in the nation at 47 pts. per game.

2. UCA is #1 is scoring defense in the nation at 10.4 pts. per game. (scroll to the bottom under independents before you look it up and say no its UNI at 10.8)

Also it's a conference game that could determine conference reps for the playoffs(UCA ineligible). Plus it's at home and on national TV. You can watch it online at ucasports.com for free.

What more could a fan ask for? xlolx

GoAgs72
October 12th, 2009, 05:23 PM
I picked FAMU and SCSU - one of these will drop down the elevator shaft after this weekend.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
October 12th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Southern Illinois at Northern Iowa got my vote, but there are a lot of playoff implications in many of the other match ups. But if I could pick one to go see live, it would be this one. xnodx

JMUNJ08
October 12th, 2009, 05:40 PM
JMU game the 3rd best? Is it just because we have a chance to get knocked out of the playoffs already? Or do people still see it as a major game?

I know two good teams are playing but with all the big games again this weekend was just a little shocked that it is currently ranked 3rd.

LacesOut
October 12th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Southern Illinois at Northern Iowa.

DX Man
October 12th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Some hard choices this week, but I'm going with FAMU -vs- SCSU.

UMass922
October 12th, 2009, 07:33 PM

There's no doubt that UMass's being exposed a bit on Saturday makes the UNH game a little less compelling than it might have been otherwise. But even still, is it really a worse game than, say, Chattanooga-GSU?

That said, I wouldn't have voted for UMass-UNH anyway; there are a number of really good games this week. I was tempted to go with SFA-UCA, but UCA not being playoff eligible yet makes it less compelling. So I went with FAMU-SC St., which will quite possibly prove to be the MEAC championship game.

DSUrocks07
October 12th, 2009, 08:16 PM
I picked FAMU-SCSU. Because I'm a homer xlolx :p

Actually I picked that game because its the game that will have the biggest impact on the playoff scenarios for this weekend. If SC State wins, FAMU will still have a shot at an at-large. If FAMU wins, then the MEAC will only get one team in this year.

On a excitement, fan-based perspective, I would go with the UNI-SIU matchup. Those games always seem to go down to the wire, and who wouldn't want to see a high ranked team take a fall. xwhistlex xthumbsupx

JMU-MRD-DAD
October 12th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Of course I have to go with JMU....we have to win out......

Go Dukes

VT Wildcat Fan53
October 12th, 2009, 08:44 PM
SIU @ UNI is a choice with which it is very hard to disagree. From a rivalry perspective, UNH at UMASS is a classic, however...

Houndawg
October 12th, 2009, 08:45 PM
SIU @ UNI is a choice with which it is very hard to disagree. From a rivalry perspective, UNH at UMASS is a classic, however...

The way the playoff brackets are stacked SIU and UNI may well play twice.

Native
October 12th, 2009, 09:23 PM

Lots of great games with playoff implications this week!

Great list, but I would have included UNH at UMass as a choice.

My favories, ALL with playoff and/or seeding implications:

SIU at UNI
Eastern Washington at Montana
UNH at UMass
Villanova at JMU
Stephen F Austin at Central Arkansas
SC State at Florida A&M

Kemo
October 12th, 2009, 09:35 PM
How many games this week have a trophy on the line? I know there is at least one, so my homer vote goes to the Battle for the Dakota Marker with NDSU playing at SDSU! xrulesx

Native
October 12th, 2009, 09:41 PM
The way the playoff brackets are stacked SIU and UNI may well play twice.

Oh, geee, how unusual for a couple of teams from west of the Appalachians to play twice. xeyebrowx

elcid83
October 12th, 2009, 09:41 PM
I'll be rooting for Coastal to whip Liberty.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

skinny_uncle
October 12th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Oh, geee, how unusual for a couple of teams from west of the Mississsppi to play twice. xeyebrowx
You are kidding, right? Surely you know Carbondale is east of the Big River.

Native
October 12th, 2009, 09:59 PM
You are kidding, right? Surely you know Carbondale is east of the Big River.

ooops! :o Thanks, Uncle! Fixed it.

skinny_uncle
October 12th, 2009, 10:00 PM
While other games might have more at stake in terms of playoffs, I chose SIU @ UNI just because its been such a GREAT game the last decade or more!
Last second FG in 2008, stopped at the six in 2007! Its gonna be a BATTLE!!
2007 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzGvzwlxW3E)

2008 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNXaXjbekPw)

ngineer
October 12th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Alot of great games here, but I think the Maine/UR game could be 'big' upset this week. Just a gut feeling, and perhaps ripple effect from what happened to Villanova's foray into New England.

Buzzcut
October 13th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Definitely UNI/SIU, but UNI needs to be sure that the headgear is flushed and those horrible mental mistakes don't follow them home from the Fargo Dome.

The UCA/SFA game should be a real shoot-out too. The Lumberjacks are looking tough.

MacThor
October 13th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Though it's not my GOTW, I'm nervous about UR @ Maine. UR's lack of a power running game coupled with the potential for bad weather is a troubling combination.

Then again, Forte was on his way to a monster game last year against Maine when he broke his leg.

UNI Pike
October 13th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Any word of a regional/national feed for the UNI/SIU game? For whatever reason the Indiana St v ILL St game is the "MFVC Game of the Week"

OhioHen
October 13th, 2009, 11:55 AM
SIU at UNI huge from a poll point of view but I selected FAMU at SCSU for its importance in determining the MEAC autobid (and potentially eliminating a team from at-large consideration is they get blown out).

89Hen
October 13th, 2009, 12:21 PM
the Indiana St v ILL St game is the "MFVC Game of the Week"
Please tell me you're joking. xconfusedx

UNI Pike
October 13th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Please tell me you're joking. xconfusedx

Sorry - serious as a heart attackxoopsx

Kemo
October 13th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Any word of a regional/national feed for the UNI/SIU game? For whatever reason the Indiana St v ILL St game is the "MFVC Game of the Week"

I was watching the replay of the UNI vs. NDSU game on Fox Sports North and I heard the announcers say this... it was kind of hard to comprehend. I know the network (and/or conference) is probably just trying to find a match up for ISU (wood) to be featured in one time this year, but does it really have to be the week in which SIU plays at UNI and NDSU plays at SDSU, for both those rivalries are almost always great games and there is a lot of history involved in those match ups as well. Not to mention that 3 of the 4 teams in these match ups are in the top 20 (2 in the top 5).

siuham
October 14th, 2009, 02:21 PM

TV Contract reasons. Both teams were picked near the bottom of the MVFC. Both teams have to have one televised game. This is the week they play each other, so we don't have to watch both teams get trounced by different teams on different weeks and maybe watch something decent.

B&G
October 14th, 2009, 03:17 PM
SIU at UNI huge from a poll point of view but I selected FAMU at SCSU for its importance in determining the MEAC autobid (and potentially eliminating a team from at-large consideration is they get blown out).

Same here. I'm kind of surprised the MEAC showdown isn't even in 2nd place.

Woof
October 14th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Not sure which is funnier:

1) that the GSU - Chatty game is on here.xoopsx

or

2) that 9 people actually voted for it. xhomerx

I was torn between the SCSU game and the N. Iowa, but went with the higher ranked teams. Both should be good games though.

Saluki_man
October 14th, 2009, 05:10 PM
The biggest game of the week is deffinitly SIU@UNI, but the game with the biggest playoff busting capabilities is Nova@JMU

R.A.
October 14th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Rattlers @ Bulldogs... that's the game of the week.

BulldogWillie
October 14th, 2009, 08:37 PM
I chose UNI/SIU, but the Villanova/JMU, FAMU/SCSU & UCA are big games this weekend

I agree UNHFootballAlum. All games has playoff ramifications. but all eyes will be on the Northern Iowa/Southern Illionois game and the S.C. State/Florida A&M game. This is a huge weekend for the FCS.xthumbsupx

darell1976
October 14th, 2009, 09:07 PM
UND vs Sioux Falls---the battle of the Sioux!!!:D

DSUrocks07
October 14th, 2009, 09:56 PM
What makes it tough is that you can define a "Game of the Week" in two distinct fashions, one based on pure entertainment value, and one based on impact that game has in the long-term.

GeauxLions94
October 14th, 2009, 11:23 PM
The first six were tough to decide ... went with SIU at UNI

Native
October 14th, 2009, 11:27 PM
FAMU - SC State imo.

Winner will be going to the playoffs, loser is probably out.

Will the loser be out?

Assuming the loser of SC State vs FAMU wins out the rest of the way, which is not unlikely, the MEAC conference runner up will be 9-2.

Even though there will be a half dozen 7-4 teams that could kick their butts, will the committee deny the MEAC that second at-large bid?

jcmanson
October 15th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Will the loser be out?

Assuming the loser of SC State vs FAMU wins out the rest of the way, which is not unlikely, the MEAC conference runner up will be 9-2.

Even though there will be a half dozen 7-4 teams that could kick their butts, will the committee deny the MEAC that second at-large bid?

Yeah, but would a 9-2 SC State or FAMU get in over a 9-2 Liberty? I wouldn't think so as Liberty would be a conference champ of a conference that is ranked higher than the MEAC.

Big Dawg
October 15th, 2009, 08:47 AM

I seriously doubt that...

DSUrocks07
October 15th, 2009, 08:52 AM

Really? What makes you say that? Because they are 7-4? xeyebrowx

Schfourteenteen
October 15th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Yeah, but would a 9-2 SC State or FAMU get in over a 9-2 Liberty? I wouldn't think so as Liberty would be a conference champ of a conference that is ranked higher than the MEAC.

Liberty has to get to 9-2 first. And no, 9-2 SC State wouldnt get in over 9-2 Liberty if it came down to it. I dont see the 16th spot going to a 9-2weak/7-4power team though.

With that said, A 9-2 SC State would be biting their nails if a 7-4 Power Conference team is available, but FAMU would probably be done with a loss IMO.

Schfourteenteen
October 15th, 2009, 09:01 AM

Maybe if the MEAC and SWAC decided to schedule them we'd find out. The NEC and Big South are just finally figuring this out.

If you want respect you gotta beat the teams who have it

DSUrocks07
October 15th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Maybe if the MEAC and SWAC decided to schedule them we'd find out. The NEC and Big South are just finally figuring this out.

If you want respect you gotta beat the teams who have it

xnodxxnodxxnodx

skinny_uncle
October 15th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Game of the Week has to be UNI-SIU. It's a no-brainer. This game could have seed ramifications at the end of the regular season.

TCisMYhero
October 15th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Game of the Week has to be UNI-SIU. It's a no-brainer. This game could have seed ramifications at the end of the regular season.

Unless one of them stumbles big time, this game will have seeding implications. I respect SDSU, but I don't think they are ready to knock off one of these teams quite yet, and both teams will be ready for the Bunnies either way. I think the winner of this game gets at least a 2-seed, as I don't see any stumbling blocks on the schedule for either (barring a mammoth effort from SDSU against either).

DOME
October 15th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Unless one of them stumbles big time, this game will have seeding implications. I respect SDSU, but I don't think they are ready to knock off one of these teams quite yet, and both teams will be ready for the Bunnies either way. I think the winner of this game gets at least a 2-seed, as I don't see any stumbling blocks on the schedule for either (barring a mammoth effort from SDSU against either).

Fo Sho...I would go so far as to say that if any of the three top valley teams win out they will get a seed. The bunnies are on the outside looking in but if they can pull wins over UNI and SIU and finish as a one loss team it would be hard to ignore them.

WileECoyote06
October 15th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Liberty has to get to 9-2 first. And no, 9-2 SC State wouldnt get in over 9-2 Liberty if it came down to it. I dont see the 16th spot going to a 9-2weak/7-4power team though.

With that said, A 9-2 SC State would be biting their nails if a 7-4 Power Conference team is available, but FAMU would probably be done with a loss IMO.

Looking at the positions of FAMU (24) and Liberty (31) in the GPI; Liberty better pray for a SCSU win. Either way, a game against FAMU will strengthen their SOS component. I realize they are not the only ones left in the discussion, and the season is certainly not over, but I don't see how a 9-2 Liberty jumps a 9-2 FAMU squad.

Kemo
October 15th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Fo Sho...I would go so far as to say that if any of the three top valley teams win out they will get a seed. The bunnies are on the outside looking in but if they can pull wins over UNI and SIU and finish as a one loss team it would be hard to ignore them.

If SDSU wins out (and that's a big "if), that would give them a 10-1 record with premium FCS wins over UNI and SUI as well as an FBS win over the University of Minnesota. If that were the case, I would find it hard not to give a seed to a team with that kind of resume... but that's looking way down the road at a scenario that doesn't have a high probability of happening (though I have my fingers crossed xthumbsupx )

RabidRabbit
October 15th, 2009, 05:28 PM

Both UNI and SIU will need to win in Brookings. UNI is Hobo Day opponent (homecoming) and SIU is the last home game (Sr. day, in November). Maybe both prevail over Jacks, maybe not. Brookings is a tough place to get a win. xthumbsupx

Schfourteenteen
October 15th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Looking at the positions of FAMU (24) and Liberty (31) in the GPI; Liberty better pray for a SCSU win. Either way, a game against FAMU will strengthen their SOS component. I realize they are not the only ones left in the discussion, and the season is certainly not over, but I don't see how a 9-2 Liberty jumps a 9-2 FAMU squad.

Liberty at 8-2(DII win) would have 4 wins that are better than FAMU's best according to the beloved GPI. They would have also lost a close game to JMU(with Dudzik and tied in the 4th) and showed that by playing playoff caliber teams (JMU+Dudzik, maybe Lafayette) they at least want to be in the playoff discussion. FAMU is hanging their resume completly on cupcake wins if they dont beat SC State. (EDIT - Outside of Gardner Webb, who recieved votes 2 weeks ago, the Big South Conference would be looked at by the Selection Committee as cupcakes just like the MEAC)

With a loss, SC State's best win becomes Grambling, a worse win than Lafayette. They also played a worse schedule than Liberty.

Like it or not, the Big South, even without an auto bid, is still as good as the MEAC in terms of the schedule (Yikes!). The difference between Liberty, SC State and FAMU at 9-2 is who theyve played and beaten. Heck, Gardner Webb has pulled some magic out of their scheduling (2-IA, WCU, 2-DIIwhere they may end up being below 50 in the RPI if they finish at 8-3.

Schfourteenteen
October 15th, 2009, 05:54 PM
And I still think Liberty is out to begin with barring the miracle of 7-4 teams. So the loser of FAMU SC State is toast as well.

WileECoyote06
October 16th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Liberty at 8-2(DII win) would have 4 wins that are better than FAMU's best according to the beloved GPI. They would have also lost a close game to JMU(with Dudzik and tied in the 4th) and showed that by playing playoff caliber teams (JMU+Dudzik, maybe Lafayette) they at least want to be in the playoff discussion. FAMU is hanging their resume completly on cupcake wins if they dont beat SC State. (EDIT - Outside of Gardner Webb, who recieved votes 2 weeks ago, the Big South Conference would be looked at by the Selection Committee as cupcakes just like the MEAC)

With a loss, SC State's best win becomes Grambling, a worse win than Lafayette. They also played a worse schedule than Liberty.

Like it or not, the Big South, even without an auto bid, is still as good as the MEAC in terms of the schedule (Yikes!). The difference between Liberty, SC State and FAMU at 9-2 is who theyve played and beaten. Heck, Gardner Webb has pulled some magic out of their scheduling (2-IA, WCU, 2-DIIwhere they may end up being below 50 in the RPI if they finish at 8-3.

Grambling's schedule so far has been tougher than Lafayette's, so that's not entirely accurate. FAMU's convincing win over TSU will flesh out a little better as TSU has success in the OVC. They just knocked off a ranked team. The committee I'm sure will take into account that Liberty only has six conference brethren; while FAMU and SCSU have eight. Gardner-Webb has votes but so does TSU, Grambling, Hampton, and Morgan State.

I'm just not seeing where Liberty is overwhelmingly more deserving than either SCSU or FAMU.

ASUG8
October 16th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Tough list - I went with SIU/UNI although I could have easily been persuaded to choose another. JMU/Nova has big playoff implications - kind of a make or break for JMU now. Montana has played some tight ones recently and EWU may have a chance. Richmond is still winning games, but not manhandling anyone so Maine might give them a run. Should be interesting to read the highlights Sat. night.

4th and What?
October 16th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Any of the three games on there that are likely to determine a conference champ are a legit pick. How Nova/JMU is second right now I am not sure. Too many CAA fans with blinders on I guess.

Reign of Terrier
October 16th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Chatty and GSU. Granted, GSU is having another down year but if the mocs can go 5-1 and 3-1 in conference they will be officially in the "for real" discussion.

(I almost put "playoff" but remembered they can't go)