PDA

View Full Version : LFN: Sunday's Word: Numbers

Lehigh Football Nation
October 12th, 2009, 09:09 AM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2009/10/sundays-word-numbers.html

It's not so much about Lehigh as it is the Patriot League. And while it's a neat tie-in to the GPI, what it really does is put in numeric focus (based on the GPI) the level of decline of the Patriot League in 2009. The GPI points to a league that not only contains some bad teams - even the teams that are successful have have major questions at the quality of their wins.

Check out the posting, and check out the numbers. It makes for league-wide grim reading.

danefan
October 12th, 2009, 09:22 AM
xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupx xthumbsupxxthumbsupx

Kudos to you LFN.

I don't like the GPI, but some of you do. This is an honest look at the Patriot league for those of you who are GPI believers.

Fordham
October 12th, 2009, 09:37 AM
I agree overall. The theme for the Patriot League in the latter half of this decade is the frog sitting in the pot of ever-closer-to-boiling water. Each year we've gotten a little worse overall until you get to this year where Colgate's '03 run to the title game looks in our memory banks like it was shot in old-time black-and-white film/leather helmet days.

The only possible exception to this is that I think it's unfair to be lumping Colgate in with all of this, at least at this point. It's true that they may be there at the end but I think far too much is being made of their near-egg-laying v. Princeton. Right now, they're undefeated and to compare the unmitigated disaster at Lehigh this season to a team that played very ugly but still came away with a win is very much unfair imo.

And it's very important to realize that it's not just one team or a few teams in the league. It's the entire Patriot League. Lehigh's struggles have been well documented here, but when Colgate struggles on national television versus Princeton

Again, I understand the point but Colgate lost a lot and has done everything asked of them so far, save winning pretty on national television. If this were last week I would have included HC in there as well but, obviously with the loss to Brown, they go in as a prime example of the league faltering. Let's wait until Colgate has a similar mis-step before lumping them in with the rest of us, though.

Finally, Lafayette is also much closer to the Colgate, hey-we're-bad-but-not-THAT-bad side of the argument than the rest of us imo.

RichH2
October 12th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Depressingly accurate. Gate and HC could still cause some problems in the postseason this year.
HC with Dom could scare a few teams come then.
Gate and LC solid good PL teams w/o a "diiference maker" very hard to win a playoff game.

If PL waits until end of 2010 season to announce future plans , it will slip a bit further.

colorless raider
October 12th, 2009, 01:06 PM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2009/10/sundays-word-numbers.html

It's not so much about Lehigh as it is the Patriot League. And while it's a neat tie-in to the GPI, what it really does is put in numeric focus (based on the GPI) the level of decline of the Patriot League in 2009. The GPI points to a league that not only contains some bad teams - even the teams that are successful have have major questions at the quality of their wins.

Check out the posting, and check out the numbers. It makes for league-wide grim reading.

That's all nice and may be reality, but the big question is "Will the PL presidents "get it"?

RichH2
October 12th, 2009, 01:11 PM
The 64$ question cr , even if they get , will they care ,as long as all of us are rated in the top 50 by US News and Report?

Go...gate
October 12th, 2009, 01:53 PM
That's all nice and may be reality, but the big question is "Will the PL presidents "get it"?

You hit it on the head. xnodx