PDA

View Full Version : Should AGS create its own Playoff MVP trophy?

kardplayer
December 15th, 2005, 09:09 PM
As I read the Payton, Buchanon, and Robinson Awards announcements, I see that those awards were basically created by the Sports Network and aren't NCAA official awards, so why couldn't AGS create its own award for the playoff MVP?

We already have an established voter base for our top 25. We could easily leverage that process to do the voting. The hard part would be getting the votes from people who are actually at the game.

I'm not saying we should do this for the 2005 playoffs, but it would seem an easy enough thing for the 2006 playoffs.

I would do it at the playoffs level (think Conn Smythe trophy) vs. the one game level (think Super Bowl MVP), since the thing that makes I-AA special is our tournament - this would reinforce the effort that it takes to actually win four straight games of this caliber.

What do y'all think?

MR. CHICKEN
December 15th, 2005, 09:16 PM
ON TA SOMETHIN'......COOL HAND LUKE!.........HOW 'BOUT DUH "RALPH WALLACE TROPHY"...AWARDED....TA DUH....ONE PLAYER IN I-AA......DAT ACTUALLY LISTENS TA KRAUTWURST...( KRAFTWERK..TA DUH UN-AWARE OR NEWBIES )...ON DUH SONY WALKMAN.......DURIN' PRE-GAME WARM-UPS?..........:rotateh:...........AWK!

PantherRob82
December 15th, 2005, 09:18 PM
eric sanders :)

Saint3333
December 15th, 2005, 09:27 PM
I'm game:

Peyton: Meyer
Buck: Hawkins
Robinson: Clawson

MR. CHICKEN
December 15th, 2005, 09:51 PM
AH GOT GAME:

PAYTON.........SANTOS :hurray:
BUCK.............TOM PARKS...(HOMERISM IS NOT SHAMEFUL) :nod:
ROBINSON......CLAWSON :coach:

BUK...BUK...BUK...BRAWK!............:argue:

blur2005
December 16th, 2005, 02:50 AM
Question is, what would we call it?

Tod
December 16th, 2005, 03:10 AM
Question is, what would we call it?

The AGS I-AA National Playoffs MVP Award (or Trophy).

Make it big, solid, heavy and important-looking. That's the most important thing. Do I want to show this to my family and friends?

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

PantherRob82
December 16th, 2005, 03:28 AM
xcoffeex how about "the Ralph"?

buckp
December 16th, 2005, 06:58 AM
xcoffeex how about "the Ralph"?

"The Ralphy".....:eek: ;)
http://www.alamoallies.com/alex/ps/tribes_trophy.jpg

bandl
December 16th, 2005, 07:06 AM
As I read the Payton, Buchanon, and Robinson Awards announcements, I see that those awards were basically created by the Sports Network and aren't NCAA official awards, so why couldn't AGS create its own award for the playoff MVP?

We already have an established voter base for our top 25. We could easily leverage that process to do the voting. The hard part would be getting the votes from people who are actually at the game.

I'm not saying we should do this for the 2005 playoffs, but it would seem an easy enough thing for the 2006 playoffs.

I would do it at the playoffs level (think Conn Smythe trophy) vs. the one game level (think Super Bowl MVP), since the thing that makes I-AA special is our tournament - this would reinforce the effort that it takes to actually win four straight games of this caliber.

What do y'all think?
Let's do it...start a poll...

rowdy55
December 16th, 2005, 07:31 AM
I can only come up with names we should remove from
consideration

Offensive Ags Football Award (OAF)
Defensive Ags Matchless player Nomination (DAMN)
Defensive Realization of Perfection (DROP)
Defensive and Offensive Outstanding Player (DOOP)
Football Ags Tackle Award (FAT)
Player Unparalled Kicking Excellence Award (PUKE)
Coaches Regional Ags Player (CRAP)

MR. CHICKEN
December 16th, 2005, 07:52 AM
DUH "BOBBY LAMB" TROPHY......FO' DUH BIGGEST COACHIN' BLUNDER!...:o...AWK!

AppFootballAlum
December 16th, 2005, 07:53 AM
I can only come up with names we should remove from
consideration

Offensive Ags Football Award (OAF)
Defensive Ags Matchless player Nomination (DAMN)
Defensive Realization of Perfection (DROP)
Defensive and Offensive Outstanding Player (DOOP)
Football Ags Tackle Award (FAT)
Player Unparalled Kicking Excellence Award (PUKE)
Coaches Regional Ags Player (CRAP)

How about - Player Highlight Award Trophy (PHAT)

HensRock
December 16th, 2005, 09:06 AM
Simple:

THE DIVISION I PLAYOFF MOST VALUABLE PLAYER AWARD

No need to qualify Division I any more than "Playoff" already does.

If you are looking for a former player to name it after, how about a great former player that excelled in the playoffs. Adrian Peterson springs to mind. Nickname it the "APIE" (pronounced AYPEE., not Appy)

Eaglegus2
December 16th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Simple:

THE DIVISION I PLAYOFF MOST VALUABLE PLAYER AWARD

No need to qualify Division I any more than "Playoff" already does.

If you are looking for a former player to name it after, how about a great former player that excelled in the playoffs. Adrian Peterson springs to mind. Nickname it the "APIE" (pronounced AYPEE., not Appy)

Thanks HensRock for the suggestion of naming the award after Adrian Peterson. It sure takes the homerism out of it for us Georgia Southern fans. :hurray:

TypicalTribe
December 16th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Postseason awards are almost never named after people. I think you just call it the I-AA Playoff MVP sponsored by AGS. Imagine how great it would be for all of us if it could be awarded on the field after the game and covered by ESPN.

grizband
December 16th, 2005, 10:26 AM
I like the idea for this award, as long as the person who wins it doesn't have to be on the team who wins the championship. It will generally help, but it shouldn't be a requirement.

A couple suggestions for a trophy name. First, a homer pick - we could call it the "Dickie" after Dave Dickenson. He was magical in the playoffs, had some of his biggest games during the month of december.
We could also go the ESPN route (ESPN-ESPY), and call it the "AGY".

kardplayer
December 16th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Postseason awards are almost never named after people. I think you just call it the I-AA Playoff MVP sponsored by AGS. Imagine how great it would be for all of us if it could be awarded on the field after the game and covered by ESPN.

I really like HensRock's suggestion to go with the "Division I..." - we can tweak the big boys while we're at it that way :smiley_wi

Anecdotally though, sometimes they are named after people. In fact, the only one that's a true playoff trophy is in the NHL and they name it after the former owner of the MapleLeafs. Here's a more thorough list...

NHL - Stanley Cup, Conn Smythe Trophy (Playoff MVP)
NFL - Vince Lombardi Trophy
NBA - Larry O'Brien Trophy
MLB - I don't think any

I have two thoughts on process about naming it after a person:
1. Name it after someone from the early days of the I-AA playoffs. I know EKU was there 4 times, so maybe there's someone from there...
2. We could go back and look at who would have been the MVP if the award had been given out each year. If someone (Like AP) would have won a few times, they'd be a great candidate.

kardplayer
December 16th, 2005, 12:40 PM
I like the idea for this award, as long as the person who wins it doesn't have to be on the team who wins the championship. It will generally help, but it shouldn't be a requirement.

A couple suggestions for a trophy name. First, a homer pick - we could call it the "Dickie" after Dave Dickenson. He was magical in the playoffs, had some of his biggest games during the month of december.
We could also go the ESPN route (ESPN-ESPY), and call it the "AGY".

The only reason to make it be from the champion is to make sure that we don't get accidental homerism.

Think of this scenario:
Team A is a traditional power with lots of voters in the poll
Team B is an upstart with no voters

Team B is a balanced squad, that runs teams over each game and its best players are out by the start of the 4th quarter each game.
Team A has one star who is clearly the team MVP.

In the championship game, Team B wins handily, and the star of Team A has a so-so game.

It comes time to vote. Many of Team A's fans vote for their star, partially out of homerism and partially out of a belief that he truly had the best postseason. Others vote for Team A's star because the Team B guys only have 3/4 of the stats.

Team B has 2 or 3 guys who are outstanding and they split the "the MVP has to come from a champion" vote.

The Team A star wins and there is debate over whether the award is legit, and our credibility is shot.

I think one way to solve this is to put a temporary (maybe 5 years?) moratorium on voting for anyone from the non-champion team. This way, we build the award to a legitimate, on the field presentation before giving ourselves the opportunity to make a questionable decision.

Just my :twocents:

AppFootballAlum
December 16th, 2005, 12:41 PM
I have two thoughts on process about naming it after a person:
1. Name it after someone from the early days of the I-AA playoffs. I know EKU was there 4 times, so maybe there's someone from there...
2. We could go back and look at who would have been the MVP if the award had been given out each year. If someone (Like AP) would have won a few times, they'd be a great candidate.

Question, was there any one person who spearheaded the movement, or someone at the time considered the leading advocate/voice back when the I-AA and the playoff system was first created? Quite frankly I can't remember, but if there was a single person who led that charge, maybe that would be a good name for it

kardplayer
December 16th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Question, was there any one person who spearheaded the movement, or someone at the time considered the leading advocate/voice back when the I-AA and the playoff system was first created? Quite frankly I can't remember, but if there was a single person who led that charge, maybe that would be a good name for it

I like that - anyone have a history lesson they can teach us???

December 16th, 2005, 01:25 PM
I like that - anyone have a history lesson they can teach us???No one I know. Possibly someone from the NCAA or a school?

GaSouthern
December 16th, 2005, 05:39 PM
The Adrian Peterson award has my vote!

kardplayer
December 16th, 2005, 05:47 PM
I'm scouring the net for info, here's one thing I found...

June 1978 -- The NCAA establishes a football championship and a statistics program for Division I-AA. A pilot championship will be staged after the 1978 regular season, and a Division I-AA Football Committee is appointed that includes Bob Vanatta from the Ohio Valley Conference, Milton D. Hunter from South Carolina State University, Andrew T. Mooradian from the University of New Hampshire and Lyle H. Smith from Boise State University. (The NCAA News, June 1, 1978)

kardplayer
December 16th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Another tidbit - in the 1978 title game, FAMU's Mike Solomon rushed for 207 yards - a record that stood until Marcel Shipp broke it 20 years later...