PDA

View Full Version : Mid Season National Championship Predictions

ASU_Fanatic
October 11th, 2009, 07:01 PM
My prediction is Elon and Villanova with Elon winning 38-34.

WestCoastAggie
October 11th, 2009, 07:02 PM
UNI vs. Richmond

WrenFGun
October 11th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Since they'll be the top two teams in my upcoming ballot, I'll go with UNI/Richmond, as well.

Saint3333
October 11th, 2009, 07:16 PM
No CAA teams goes undefeated so the road to Nooga runs through UNI and Montana. The best program never to win it all reaches the long awaiting prize, UNI is my pick.

93henfan
October 11th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Villanova over UNI

mtgrizfan4life
October 11th, 2009, 07:31 PM
This is a tough question at this point of the season. I will go with GRIZ/UNI matchup with GRIZ winning (I am a homer here.).

In Hauck's time with the GRIZ, his teams squeak by through mid to end October. Come November they are always peaking. Their weaknesses are strengthened by then as well. This year our weaknesses are pass defense and OL runblocking. We still have a long way to go in pass defense, in my opinion. The Cal Poly game was finally a positive indicator that our runblocking is beginning to gel. I have complete faith in our OL coach, Chad Germer. I have no doubts our OL will once again be nasty good come the playoffs, and are on the verge of being that, sooner than later.

As for our pass defense, it is frustrating because we cannot pinpoint where the problem stems. I think it is combination of losing a no nonsense leader, Colt Anderson. He held this unit accountable. The other part of this is coaching strategy. We seem very scared to play tight coverage. I do not expect for us to let every DB play tight, but there is no reason not to let our best CB do that. Trumaine Johnson is big and athletic at CB, at the very least I would take my chances with him being allowed to blossom into a true shutdown CB. We shall see the next few weeks though, with matchups with EWU and Weber State.

As for UNI, I will let UNI fans/followers give us some insight on them. As a sports fan though, my 1 concern I have with UNI is if they have peaked too soon or not? Are they playing as well as they can now? Can they sustain this play? Do they have room for further improvement? Actually I would like all fans to give us more insight on where they feel their teams are at now? What are your team's weaknesses, strengths, concerns, etc?

AlphaSigMD
October 11th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Anybody else remember when we eviscerated a kid last week for saying that Elon would win the national championship.

Just checking.xthumbsupx

Gil Dobie
October 11th, 2009, 08:39 PM
UNH, Richmond or UNI at this point

mcveyrl
October 11th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Richmond is a good team and I don't know if they've played their best ball yet (and they're 5-0!!) This cuts both ways. If they hit their stride late, then I think they'll repeat. If they keep going up and down, they'll lose in round 2 or 3.

I think the latter happens and I'm going UNI/UNH with UNH exacting playoff revenge!!

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 11th, 2009, 08:48 PM
UNI will win it. They are the best team in the country and the next best teams are a head below them.

They are way past due for a NC and I hope they get it this year.

ToTheLeft
October 11th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Elon over UNH

LacesOut
October 11th, 2009, 08:59 PM
UNI beating someone from the CAA.

Seriously!

CDT_Wilson
October 11th, 2009, 09:06 PM
There is a lot of football left to play. I will say I think this UNI team is better then last year and they were a coaching error away from a national title game last year.
They lost a pretty good RB in C. Lewis and brought in a decent RS Freshman Carlos Anderson. I think the secondary is better in the d. As for the rest of the team it is the same guys from last year with more experience so I guess we will see.

Potential means nothing if you don't reach it.

CDT_Wilson
October 11th, 2009, 09:07 PM
UNI beating someone from the CAA.

Seriously!

And UNI beats the majority of CAA teams they play, just never seems to be enough.

mcveyrl
October 11th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Potential means nothing if you don't reach it.

This is the key. A lot of people were talking about JMU like this last year, but we all know how that ended up.

soccerguy315
October 11th, 2009, 09:42 PM
No CAA teams goes undefeated so the road to Nooga runs through UNI and Montana. The best program never to win it all reaches the long awaiting prize, UNI is my pick.

UNH has a shot this year... games left @UMass, @Hofstra, Northeastern, Rhode Island, @W&M, Maine

they haven't beat W&M in forever, but they look really strong this year (and that schedule is not terribly difficult)

PhoenixSupreme
October 11th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Geez! How many people are trying to jinx us this year! Seriously lol!

xoopsxxoopsxxoopsx

JMU-MRD-DAD
October 11th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Richmond, Nova, and UNH are my picks from the CAA....still not sold on the Tribe yet, but then again, there's a lot of football left. I doubt if any CAA team goes undefeated in the conference and then most likely the # 1 & # 2 seeds would be Montana and UNI if they both keep winning.

At this point I would go with Richmond vs UNI.

VT Wildcat Fan53
October 11th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Richmond is a good team and I don't know if they've played their best ball yet (and they're 5-0!!) This cuts both ways. If they hit their stride late, then I think they'll repeat. If they keep going up and down, they'll lose in round 2 or 3.

I think the latter happens and I'm going UNI/UNH with UNH exacting playoff revenge!!

That would be nice. Maybe THEN, New Hampshire legislature would consider a real stadium, ..... xsmiley_wix

Squealofthepig
October 11th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Like others, think Richmond will slip up once and the road to Chatty will go through the dome and Wa-Griz.

UNI we'll probably have something decisive after their next two games. If they win those two, they probably win out and get a (deserved) top two seed. That's a big if - conference play is always conference play and as the website says, it is AGS. :)

Whether the Griz make it back to Chatty, I'm not sure; like most of the rest of the top 10, we've had some weird inconsistencies, and still think this is a bit of a rebuilding year. And I can see another year where a team like Wofford finds a way to win in Missoula.

Ultimately, the bracket will decide it. I'm kinda hoping it's UNI over Elon in chatty, just because UNI really should have a NC, and Elon still seems to get dismissed a bit too quickly by us fans.

GrizzlyBill
October 11th, 2009, 10:27 PM
You have your teams that get out to early leads, then fail to finish. And you have your teams that make mistakes early, but get their stuff together in time to win.

I like the Griz this year, and I like how nobody is saying much about them on this board.

We are maddeningly mistake-prone the first half of way too many games, but we are getting better every week. It have a sense of confidence and pride in this team, which is the most one should ever hope for. I mean most of these boys are from right around here. I work with their dad and their uncle.

I agree with the big bunch of you who are saying that UNI is the favorite for the NC — and the Panthers are due. Like the Griz, they are a top notch program, they play at the top of a top league, they have done well against top ooc competition over the years, and they have a big following.

Interesting is the idea in this thread about when to peak. "Don't shoot your wad too soon." Hmmmmm....

LAWdiddy
October 11th, 2009, 10:30 PM
so wait, you guys jumped down the throat of an elon fan talking championship and now many of y'all are predicting them to take that title? just checking. i don't have a dictionary on me, can somebody look up hypocrite?

uofmman1122
October 11th, 2009, 10:35 PM
We don't even know who's going to win the conferences yet. I have no idea who's going to win the NC this year. xlolx

I just hope it's Montana. xcoffeex xnodx xlolx

PhoenixSupreme
October 11th, 2009, 11:12 PM
so wait, you guys jumped down the throat of an elon fan talking championship and now many of y'all are predicting them to take that title? just checking. i don't have a dictionary on me, can somebody look up hypocrite?

They weren't jumping on that Elon fan (who shall remain nameless) because he was predicting Elon to win it all. Rather, they were getting all over him because he was way too cocky and brash for his own good, and did not make logical, cohesive arguments to support his claims. His best reason would be along the lines of "Because...that's why". He made about 3 threads a day with the same pointless crap and people got sick of it (or amused).

Squealofthepig
October 11th, 2009, 11:20 PM
What Phoenix said. And yeah, amused.

I like Elon to make the playoffs. Not at all sure if they'll be able to negotiate the field, mainly because even if they win out, they likely will still need to go on the road, and the top teams all have pretty hostile homefield advantage. But I also always like seeing some type of underdog in the field of sixteen that can quietly do some damage.

Mattymc727
October 11th, 2009, 11:42 PM
UNI vs. UNH, jeeze, im already nervous

bigskyrocks
October 12th, 2009, 12:49 AM
NAU over W & M , i know highly unlikly but someones got to make the ridiculus pick right. but it really too early to even think about this question lets just get narrow the conference races first.

gophoenix
October 12th, 2009, 06:05 AM

Sarcasm I take it? xlolx

At least I am taking it for that!

LAWdiddy
October 12th, 2009, 01:11 PM
why does it have to be sarcasm

PhoenixPhan06
October 15th, 2009, 12:05 PM
We need to make it to the playoffs first. With that said, I think we ride the underdog role deep in the playoffs and surprise a lot of folks along the way. In fear of jinxing our great start so far, I won't say either way if we'll win it all, but I will say that we will be playing deep into December.

Phoenix87
October 15th, 2009, 12:37 PM
What Phoenix said. And yeah, amused.

I like Elon to make the playoffs. Not at all sure if they'll be able to negotiate the field, mainly because even if they win out, they likely will still need to go on the road, and the top teams all have pretty hostile homefield advantage. But I also always like seeing some type of underdog in the field of sixteen that can quietly do some damage.

IF we win out Elon should at least receive a seed in the playoffs. And looking at the remaining schedule, there are a ton of big games left for top ten teams. CAA will beat up on each other, Montana still has Weber State and Montana State and Southern Illinois and Northern Iowa play this week. There is going to be a lot of change to the polls in the upcoming weeks.

BarefootApp
October 15th, 2009, 12:43 PM
these boys. (see left)

Chi Panther
October 15th, 2009, 02:54 PM
UNI vs. UNH, jeeze, im already nervous

I want nothing to do with this game unless its in Chatty....:)

siuham
October 15th, 2009, 04:25 PM
To folks saying Montana vs. UNI

Don't be silly. They'd never put them on opposite sides of the bracket.

PantherRob82
October 15th, 2009, 04:32 PM
To folks saying Montana vs. UNI

Don't be silly. They'd never put them on opposite sides of the bracket.

We were last year... xoopsx

DLS
October 15th, 2009, 04:37 PM
i truthfully believe app is going to be playing better and better each week till playoffs.

people can say what they want about last weeks game starting off slow, we held them to 5yds rushing and put up 640+ yds of offense. we have 6 weeks to get something to click and i bet we do it.

siuham
October 15th, 2009, 04:37 PM

Quiet you. Quit using your logic and "history" to disprove me.

Gordon Shumway
October 15th, 2009, 04:38 PM

I absolutely agree. As much as UNH fans have nightmares about UNI, I can't believe that UNI fans would be anxious for another rematch short of Chatty. Despite the 3-0 record, the games have been pretty competitive to say the least.

SoCalAg
October 15th, 2009, 04:39 PM
UNI - 30
Richmond - 24

ElonPride
October 15th, 2009, 04:42 PM
UNI - 30
Richmond - 24

At this point in the season, I would have to agree with this prediction.

Houndawg
October 15th, 2009, 04:59 PM
SIU/Villanova

Houndawg
October 15th, 2009, 05:01 PM

No, we would have played you if we'd have beaten UNH.xnodx

ASU_Fanatic
October 15th, 2009, 05:35 PM
With all the talent App has, if the team can get some chemistry going, no one will be able to stop the Mountaineers.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 15th, 2009, 05:40 PM

me and rob have already made that deal

Silenoz
October 15th, 2009, 05:59 PM
With all the talent App has, if the team can get some chemistry going, no one will be able to stop the Mountaineers.
Bold statement, and I can think of about 10 programs who disagree

siuham
October 15th, 2009, 11:15 PM
No, we would have played you if we'd have beaten UNH.xnodx

He was responding to Montana/UNI, not SIU/UNI.

SpidersSportsEditor
October 16th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I think Richmond will probably lose at some point, which is unfortunate because losing one game in the CAA and then being forced to go into UNI/Montana in the playoffs would be tough. But, they did OK with it last year. I have a feeling App will pose problems come playoff time also. Too early to make a prediction now though. If you remember, UR was 4-3 around this time last year and went on to win it all. Not so bold prediction: CAA team vs. App State with the CAA team winning it all.

GannonFan
October 16th, 2009, 01:07 PM
I think Richmond will probably lose at some point, which is unfortunate because losing one game in the CAA and then being forced to go into UNI/Montana in the playoffs would be tough. But, they did OK with it last year. I have a feeling App will pose problems come playoff time also. Too early to make a prediction now though. If you remember, UR was 4-3 around this time last year and went on to win it all. Not so bold prediction: CAA team vs. App State with the CAA team winning it all.

Eh, tough, but not impossible. In the past 3 years, a CAA team has gone into one of those venues and won - UMass beat Montana in Montana in the semis in '06, UD beat UNI in UNI in the '07 quarters, and Richmond beat UNI in UNI in the '08 semis. Neither place is impossible to win in - once you get deep enough in the playoffs, the teams playing on the field matter so much more than the venue they're playing in. You have to go all the way back to 1999 to find a year when both semifinalist winners were the two home teams. Home field advantage means much less later in the playoffs. xthumbsupx

PhoenixMan
October 16th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Elon winning the NC....please don't jinx us. I honestly think Elon has the talent and other intangibles to make a run at it. But......we must first 1) make the playoffs (remember we were 7-1 and #3 in poll last year at one point) 2) Beat App
Until we accomplish both of those tasks, no more talk of a NC, please

AlphaSigMD
October 16th, 2009, 01:30 PM

While I agree with you that the Mountaineers are talented, that doesn't always equate with success.

If that were the case, the Yankees would have won every world series since 2000. As it turns out they are 0-8.

I am optimistic though, that ASU can turn the corner as a team, and hopefully that will mean a strong run into the playoffs.

As to the teams that likely will disagree with your statements (as one of the other posters alluded to) - we will likely get the opportunity to play several of the CAA teams early on, if we make it to the playoffs, so I guess we will have to wait and see.

Seven Would Be Nice
October 16th, 2009, 02:51 PM

Elon has to make the playoffs first.. seems hard for them to do!

They have a good team this year.. so only time will tell if they trip over themselves in the last half of the season... again.

appirishmen
October 16th, 2009, 03:50 PM
if UR goes unbeaten in the CAA, it will be them. if not i say UNI as well. Elon is good, but im still not sold. i wanted to go homer and pick App.....but couldnt do it hahaxnonono2xxnonono2xxnonono2x i just hope we win the conference and make the playoffs..... GO APPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reign of Terrier
October 16th, 2009, 03:53 PM
If Elon wins conference, they'll be undefeated in conference, and make it to the semis, only to lose to a CAA team, very similar to what Wofford did in 2003

if they don't win conference I don't see them getting past the quarterfinals

jstclmet
October 16th, 2009, 05:48 PM
How bout a final 8??

UNH @ UNI - inevitable

Nova @ Montana

App St @ Richmond - Love those rematches

SIU @ W&M

Draw your own conclusions from there.

Mine are Nova vs UR in the NC.

AggieFinn
October 16th, 2009, 05:53 PM
I like Montana.

LAWdiddy
October 16th, 2009, 08:42 PM
How bout a final 8??

UNH @ UNI - inevitable

Nova @ Montana

App St @ Richmond - Love those rematches

SIU @ W&M

Draw your own conclusions from there.

Mine are Nova vs UR in the NC.

That's dumb. You left out Elon

ElonFirefighter
October 16th, 2009, 08:50 PM
If Elon wins conference, they'll be undefeated in conference, and make it to the semis, only to lose to a CAA team, very similar to what Wofford did in 2003

if they don't win conference I don't see them getting past the quarterfinals

I dont see it mattering either way, unless were ranked in the playoffs we get screwed. Since they place more emphasis on location rather then skill I could see a Elon UR first round. We may get lucky and get William and marry or SC st. All are winnable games but Id rather see a UR/Elon final rather then first round.

Still to early to call it. Elon could slip and not even make it. Or the CAA could fall apart creating a gateway to the title game for Elon or another socon team. I will have to wait till atleast Nov before ill start crunching numbers and making a call

ASU_Fanatic
October 16th, 2009, 09:07 PM
App State has this.

igo4uni
October 16th, 2009, 09:31 PM
I dont see it mattering either way, unless were ranked in the playoffs we get screwed. Since they place more emphasis on location rather then skill I could see a Elon UR first round. We may get lucky and get William and marry or SC st. All are winnable games but Id rather see a UR/Elon final rather then first round.

Still to early to call it. Elon could slip and not even make it. Or the CAA could fall apart creating a gateway to the title game for Elon or another socon team. I will have to wait till atleast Nov before ill start crunching numbers and making a call

Who is this Elon of which you speak??

ElonFirefighter
October 16th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Who is this Elon of which you speak??

Its a mythical team that bursts into FLAMES at old age to have a new one rise up from the ashes. unfortunately it seems we get old at around 8 games and burst into flames then.

igo4uni
October 16th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Its a mythical team that bursts into FLAMES at old age to have a new one rise up from the ashes. unfortunately it seems we get old at around 8 games and burst into flames then.

good luck to you and your team!!

ElonFirefighter
October 16th, 2009, 09:54 PM
same to you, here's to an injury free rest of the season

ASUG8
October 16th, 2009, 09:54 PM
SoCon - App and/or Elon
CAA brings in Richmond, 'Nova, Bill and Mary + one other
MEAC - SCSU again
SLC - McNeese comes back
BSC -Montana, possibly another(flame on)
UNI
SDSU
the rest

Native
October 16th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Richmond and UNI are still the teams to beat. If they end the season seeded #1 and #2, there is a good chance that home field advantage will take them to the NC game.

At this point, both the Spiders and the Panthers are at least a 1 TD favorite at home over any of the others.

However, LOTS of football to play between now and then. Dozens of possible scenarios. Seeding is critical because of the extended home field advantage. Any top 15 team that runs the table from here on out and knocks off one of the current top four in the process could become a seed and get to the NC game.

The key to earning a seed is knocking off a current top 4 team. That limits the opportunity to the top CAA teams plus SD State and SIU from the MVFC, and Weber from the Big Sky, but pretty much eliminates everyone else, including Elon and probably SFA due to strength of remaining schedule.

igo4uni
October 16th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Richmond and UNI are still the teams to beat. At this point, both the Spiders and the Panthers are at least a 1 TD favorite at home over any of the others.

Yup. I agree. Homefield advantage is crucial. Especially in the Fabulous UNI-Dome.

Eight Legger
October 16th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Yup. I agree. Homefield advantage is crucial. Especially in the Fabulous UNI-Dome.

We respectfully disagree. :D

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 16th, 2009, 10:31 PM
We respectfully disagree. :D

xlolxxlolxxrotatehx Delaware fans concur.

MacThor
October 16th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Why are seeds such a big deal?

Richmond was unseeded last year. They won at arguably the two stadiums with the biggest HFA in all of FCS.
App St. was unseeded the year before ('tho they had home field advantage due to the joke McNeese St. 2 seed).

seahawkfan2007
October 16th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Richmond and UNI look like they are headed for the championship game. Montana, Villanova, SDSU and UNH could make a run. W&M and Elon, an outside shot. If So. Ill. pulls off an upset win at UNI tomorrow they enter the mix.

GolfingGriz
October 17th, 2009, 01:24 AM

I love this post.

Native
October 17th, 2009, 05:31 AM
Why are seeds such a big deal?

Richmond was unseeded last year. They won at arguably the two stadiums with the biggest HFA in all of FCS.
App St. was unseeded the year before ('tho they had home field advantage due to the joke McNeese St. 2 seed).

Point well taken. Anything can happen, but there is still a 3 point or so home field advantage.

jstclmet
October 17th, 2009, 06:22 AM

If Elon makes it, they lose in the first round to UR or W&M on the road by 15 - 20 pts.

drpnut
October 17th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Right now I'm saying UNI... I actually voted them number one in my poll... I think they have what it takes...

Next I would go with the Griz...

My sleeper is... Bill and Mary

HensRock
October 17th, 2009, 08:52 AM

Excellent rebuttal, counselor.
xrolleyesx

Dane96
October 17th, 2009, 09:36 AM
I dont even think Elon sniffs the Semi-Finals, let alone finals.

Right now...I would think UNI is my choice...because I really dont know WHAT to make of UNH. That said, the CAA is that good.

I think its a matter of who from the CAA vs. UNI...a clear cut team in my eyes.