PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Week #7 picks

The Cats
October 11th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Southern Conference Week #7, make your picks.

2:00 pm
Samford at Furman

3:00 pm
Appalachian St. at Wofford

4:00 pm
The Citadel at Western Carolina

6:00 pm
Chattanooga at Georgia Southern

Death Dealer
October 11th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Southern Conference Week #7, make your picks.

Samford at Furman

Upset week in the Boro.xeekx Of course, is it an upset if the better team wins?

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 11th, 2009, 04:54 PM
GSU in a low-scoring match
Furple chokes
App wins but it's closer than many think
El Cid runs all over Western

PaladinFan
October 11th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Furman has a history of playing poorly coming out of their bye and on homecoming. However, I don't think Samford can score enough against a tough Paladin defense, especially not in Greenville. Paladins win 24-7.

Once a team thought to compete for the title, Wofford is slipped into the mires of a terrible season. App has struggled in Spartanburg, but I think the Mountaineers are too much for a beat up Terrier team. App wins 35-17.

WCU is having a whale of a time putting the ball into the endzone. The Citadel simply can't afford to lose this game. I don't think they do. Bellhops win 34-14.

Gut-check game for the Eagles. While UTC is probably a trendy pick, I just don't see the Eagles letting UTC come into their house and push them around like they did two years ago. I expect a pretty ugly offensive game. Eagles win 17-14.

GATA
October 11th, 2009, 05:13 PM
UTC is terrible...but GSU is even worse.

UTC wins 9-6

**** everybody else's game.

PhoenixSupreme
October 11th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Furman 28-24
Appy 35-21
El Cid 34-17
Chatty 31-28 in double OT

The Cats
October 11th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Samford at Furman

ASU_Fanatic
October 11th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Samford at Furman

Dinman31
October 11th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Furman has a history of playing poorly coming out of their bye and on homecoming. However, I don't think Samford can score enough against a tough Paladin defense, especially not in Greenville. Paladins win 24-7.

Once a team thought to compete for the title, Wofford is slipped into the mires of a terrible season. App has struggled in Spartanburg, but I think the Mountaineers are too much for a beat up Terrier team. App wins 35-17.

WCU is having a whale of a time putting the ball into the endzone. The Citadel simply can't afford to lose this game. I don't think they do. Bellhops win 34-14.

Gut-check game for the Eagles. While UTC is probably a trendy pick, I just don't see the Eagles letting UTC come into their house and push them around like they did two years ago. I expect a pretty ugly offensive game. Eagles win 17-14.

Actually, Furman has won 10 straight homecoming games and is 22-6 on homecoming at Paladin Stadium. I'll take the Paladins by 7.

ASUG8
October 11th, 2009, 07:45 PM

Nice analysis - me likey.xthumbsupx

B&G
October 11th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Samford at Furman - Furman 21-10 (Samford's offense just doesn't have enough juice)

Appalachian St. at Wofford - ASU 38-24 (ASU digs hole early but battles out in 2nd half)

The Citadel at Western Carolina - The Cit 44-16 (Bulldogs take out frustrations on Cats)

Chattanooga at Georgia Southern - Eagles 20-16 (maybe it's habit but I can't pick UTC yet)

phoenix3
October 11th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Samford is having a tough time putting points on the board of late. A gritty Furman D won't help that to improve. Samford also has a pretty tough D. Furman: 17 - 7

App is having trouble with their D but against Wofford's D their O will have little trouble. I also feel that App is aching to prove they are not down. App: 49 - 14

The Citadel finds their legs and purpose after being stunned last week. Inner and intra turmoil continues to keep WCU down. The Citadel: 35 - 7

SoCon Game of the Week. UTC has very potent offensive potential. Unfortunately, for UTC they haven't had enough time to perfect it. Their D, based on the numbers is decent, but not at the top level of the conference. GSU found a little offense last week against Wofford and their D has been playing respectably. This one is a toss up but GSU is at home. If the typical fans do their job... GSU 27 - 24

kdinva
October 11th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Furman 27-17
Appy. St. 34-21
The Citadel 26-17
GSU 27-16

PaladinFan
October 11th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Actually, Furman has won 10 straight homecoming games and is 22-6 on homecoming at Paladin Stadium. I'll take the Paladins by 7.

Actually, I didn't say we lost homecoming games. I said we have played poorly. In the last three seasons the Paladins have managed to win a last-possession game against terrible Western Carolina, a last possession win against Elon, and an overtime win against UTC. Clearly, we won the games, but they were much much closer games than they otherwise should have been.

Our bye week performances have been worse. The last two bye weeks we've come out and gotten our rears handed to us against Elon and Wofford.

whoanellie
October 11th, 2009, 10:32 PM
every visiting team has a good shot at beating the homers. I'll go with that as a long shot so many teams have been inconsistant.

longtimemocfan
October 11th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Chattanooga at Georgia Southern - Eagles 20-16 (maybe it's habit but I can't pick UTC yet)

Keep thinking that way, it has worked well for us so far. xthumbsupx

Samford-14
Furman-21

Appy State-31
Wofford-17

The Citadel-24
West. Car-21

Chatt-21
GSU-20

Reign of Terrier
October 11th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Samford-13
Furman-34

Appy State-34
Wofford-10xbawlingx

The Citadel-24
West. Car-7

Chatt-38
GSU-14

OL FU
October 12th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Samford at Furman - As Paladin Fan said we don't play well after a week off. But I Think the D wins this, Din's by 14

Appalachian St. at Wofford - AS by 21

The Citadel at Western Carolina - El Cid by 21

Chattanooga at Georgia Southern xconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedxxrotatehxxoopsx Chatt by 7;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AppStateold299
October 12th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Furman - Paladins win, but they squeak by (21 - 20)

Appalachian State - Mountaineers offense outweighs their shaky defense (42 - 28)

Citadel - Dogs bounce back from a disappointing loss (21 - 7)

Chattanooga - Mocs fight this one out down in Paulson. It is hard to pick this one in Paulson, but GSU isn't all their yet (28 - 24)

appirishmen
October 12th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Samford at Furman - Furman by 14

Appalachian St. at Wofford - ASU by7, until our D shows me something, i will call games close. the score this weekend was good with 14 of the NC centrals point off of turnovers and held to 5 yrds rushing. i hope out D comes out this week and helps prove me wrong.

The Citadel at Western Carolina - The Cit by 21

Chattanooga at Georgia Southern - Eagles by3

B&G
October 12th, 2009, 08:53 AM

Keep thinking that way, it has worked well for us so far. xthumbsupx

Samford-14
Furman-21

Appy State-31
Wofford-17

The Citadel-24
West. Car-21

Chatt-21
GSU-20

No offense meant to UTC. I just know that it's tough to win in Paulson even during a down year for the Eagles. GSU is 2-0 there so far this season by the way.

OL FU
October 12th, 2009, 09:03 AM
No offense meant to UTC. I just know that it's tough to win in Paulson even during a down year for the Eagles. GSU is 2-0 there so far this season by the way.

No doubt, I picked Chatty cuz honestly I don't know what to do and it is a good way to have some fun with iglet fans:)

I suppose this year is the opposite of last year when they lost most of their games in Paulson.

PaladinFan
October 12th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Samford's going to have to find some offense to beat Furman. FU put 38 on UTC on the road. Samford managed 7 at home.

RattlerFan70
October 12th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Samford at Furman

GATA
October 12th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Samford's going to have to find some offense to beat Furman. FU put 38 on UTC on the road. Samford managed 7 at home.

Don't worry man. Samford is terrible. This is going to be a Furman blowout.

Here is the SOCON in a nutshell:

Good teams:

1. App State
2. Elon

Mediocre teams:

1. Furman

Garbage teams:

1. Georgia Southern
2. Wofford
3. The Citadel
4. UTC
5. Western Carolina
6. Samford.

ToTheLeft
October 12th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Samford at Furman -- I think Furple can pull this off, but might let it be closer than it should. Pally's by 7.

Appalachian St. at Wofford -- No real reason for this pick, except I want to be the one to say it could happen, since App might just be worse than we think... Wofford by 10.

The Citadel at Western Carolina -- The Kittymounts can't hang with THE Citadel's offense and lose by 14.

Chattanooga at Georgia Southern -- Chatty continues it's run, wrecking the hopes and dreams of the SoCon, winning by 13.

OL FU
October 12th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Don't worry man. Samford is terrible. This is going to be a Furman blowout.

Here is the SOCON in a nutshell:

Good teams:

1. App State
2. Elon

Mediocre teams:

1. Furman

Garbage teams:

1. Georgia Southern
2. Wofford
3. The Citadel
4. UTC
5. Western Carolina
6. Samford.

I am not sure at this point I would call Furman mediocre. I suppose it may just be terminology. But we have beaten every FCS team other than Elon handily. And we played your good team (Elon) and lost in the last seconds. I am not certain I would put us in the same category as Elon and ASU but I certainly wouldn't call that mediocre. xrolleyesx:p

CamelCityAppFan
October 12th, 2009, 11:13 AM
BamaDogs can't hang, Furples win by 2 scores.

Hillbillies win big over T-Dogs.

El Cid comes roaring back and demolishes U of Whee.

Choo-choos & Iggles-- too close to call.

PaladinFan
October 12th, 2009, 11:52 AM
I am not sure at this point I would call Furman mediocre. I suppose it may just be terminology. But we have beaten every FCS team other than Elon handily. And we played your good team (Elon) and lost in the last seconds. I am not certain I would put us in the same category as Elon and ASU but I certainly wouldn't call that mediocre. xrolleyesx:p

I agree. Furman had a lead with under two minutes to play.

The Paladins certainly haven't looked pretty, but I think they are every bit as good as any other team in the SoCon right now.

PaladinNation
October 12th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Samford at Furman
I actually think you have to throw Furman's past post off-week performances out the window. Furman has a much younger team this season, and from what I've heard the off-week was spent getting the basics down and getting the 2nd and 3rd teamers reps… creating off-week competition for PT. Furman is the most balanced SoCon team on the field… if Samford can matchup on the corners and their linebackers can stay with our backs and receivers it will be a 7-14 point spread. If they can't it will be in the 18-22 point spread range.

Appy gave Wofford the beat down of the century last year – So I'm sure Ayers is grumpy. I just can't see Wofford winning due to injuries – but you never know. APP by 10.

If the Cats can score when they get in the redzone I think they've got a chance. This could go either way, A Citadel win by at least two touchdowns or a Western win by a score. What the hell I'll go out on a limb and say Western gets their first SoCon win of the season by a fieldgoal.

As good as UTC is playing and I also like their coach, I don't like this matchup based on what I saw when UTC played Furman. GSU always has great athlete's and I think UTC might have personnel matchup issues. If GSU has a ton of turnovers and this game is low scoring… I like UTC but if GSU can play possession ball and make UTC go the whole field to score, GSU wins by 10-14. I'll go with the Eagles by 7.

appmaj
October 12th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Samford 7 Furman 17

Appalachian St. 34 Wofford 17

The Citadel 35 Western Carolina 3

Chattanooga 28 Georgia Southern 24

Mountaineer#96
October 12th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Samford at Furman - FU in a close one by 3.........could see a overtime.

Appalachian St. at Wofford- with a respectable D showing it's face ASU by 21+.......no ASU D showing Wofford keeps it close ASU by 10

The Citadel at Western Carolina- WCU has always had good athletes........coaching is another issue.....The Citadel by 13

Chattanooga at Georgia Southern - GSU by 7 ......they are at home and they are due.

SideLine Shooter
October 12th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Furman - 7
Samford -6

ASU - 13
WOFO - 10

The Citadel - 21
WCU - - - - - 10

GSU - 17
UTC - 14

biggie
October 12th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Won't pick a score on App/Woff, just hope the bye week hasn't helped Woff get too healthy. App needs no turnovers this game and needs to create some on Defense for a change. Probably a close game and combined 60 pts+.

Furman 17
Samford 10
Sammy on a slide.

El Cit 24
WCU 7
Rebound for Cit and WCU slid all the way to the bottom of the valley.

UTC 21
GSU 17
A slight shocker with UTC on a roll.

SpeedkingATL
October 12th, 2009, 03:19 PM
My first post on AGS:

I see:

Furman beating Samford in a low scoring game.

ASU finally starting to fire on all cylinders and beating a depleted Wofford squad by 14.:)

Citadel rebounding and beating WCU by 7 in a closer than expected game.

UTC playing GSU to the bell but coming up short by 3 points.

T-Dog
October 12th, 2009, 03:28 PM

UTC won in Paulson the last time they played there.

Eaglesrus
October 12th, 2009, 03:39 PM
UTC won in Paulson the last time they played there.

We won at the rock the last time we played there, does that mean we're going to do it again this year?

CamelCityAppFan
October 12th, 2009, 03:46 PM
We won at the rock the last time we played there, does that mean we're going to do it again this year?

Wouldn't count on it.

Eaglesrus
October 12th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Wouldn't count on it.

I wouldn't expect you to.

T-Dog
October 12th, 2009, 04:54 PM

Probably not, but UTC has a very good chance of winning again at Paulson. xrulesx

Eaglesrus
October 12th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Probably not, but UTC has a very good chance of winning again at Paulson. xrulesx

Well, I'm glad we at least get to play and don't have to concede it to them, or y'all.

longtimemocfan
October 12th, 2009, 05:17 PM

I wouldn't say your offense put 38 on us anyway. Special teams and your defense scored 14 of those.

Our defense especially has gotten better each game. Glenville St. had 379 total yards of offense, Furman 337...PC-255..Wofford-226...Samford-203.

longtimemocfan
October 12th, 2009, 05:25 PM

Hey, I'm as surprised as anyone on the turnaround this year. Plus their is a good chance we could be without our best RB (Fitzgerald) for the GSU game.

phoenixphanatic21
October 12th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Paladins beat Samford in a low scoring game.

App beats Wofford.

Citadel remembers how to play football and beats Western, but not by much.

UTC goes into Georgia Southern and leaves with a victory. Afterwards, the world ends.

FUPaladins
October 13th, 2009, 07:49 PM
FU wins 27-17 on homecoming.
Appy wins 24-14. Why? I don't know, i just liked those numbers.
Citadel wins 14-3. Not the best game of the week.
GSU wins a nail-biter 27-24.

PhoenixSupreme
October 13th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I can say with complete confidence that Elon will not lose this week xcoolxxsmiley_wixxthumbsupx

DX Man
October 13th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Samford at Furman(FU may be the 2nd best team in SoCon right now)

Appalachian St. at Wofford(Apps win, but Wofford puts up one heck of a fight)

The Citadel at Western Carolina(The Cats start putting all the pieces together)

Chattanooga at Georgia Southern(Sorry UTC, GSU protects the home turf)

utcfan
October 13th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Furman 28 Samford 7
ASU 28 Wofford 13
Citadel 28 WCU 14
UTC 27 GSU 17

AndrewFU21
October 13th, 2009, 08:48 PM
It will be very interesting to see if the Paladin defense can continue after its strong effort against Elon... that was certainly a pleasant surprise after yielding a lot in previous games. This is a young defense that is getting better every week, and is usually fares better against tradition run-oriented offenses like Samford's.

Samford has a good defense(holding UCF to 28 and ASU to 20 gets you some respect), but has trouble on offense(266 yards against Western is their best output in 3 SoCon games). They lost at home to a Chattanooga team that Furman handled on the road, and beat a Western team that Furman also beat. It seems like if you can stop this Chris Evans kid, they don't really have that much on offense. I'll say that Samford's defense keeps them competitive(at least on the scoreboard) for a half, but then FU gets some things going and offense and wins by a couple of scores.

chattanoogamocs
October 13th, 2009, 09:01 PM
It will be very interesting to see if the Paladin defense can continue after its strong effort against Elon... that was certainly a pleasant surprise after yielding a lot in previous games. This is a young defense that is getting better every week, and is usually fares better against tradition run-oriented offenses like Samford's.

Samford has a good defense(holding UCF to 28 and ASU to 20 gets you some respect), but has trouble on offense(266 yards against Western is their best output in 3 SoCon games). They lost at home to a Chattanooga team that Furman handled on the road, and beat a Western team that Furman also beat. It seems like if you can stop this Chris Evans kid, they don't really have that much on offense. I'll say that Samford's defense keeps them competitive(at least on the scoreboard) for a half, but then FU gets some things going and offense and wins by a couple of scores.

Actually, if the precedent holds true...Furman is more likely to score early than late. Since their season opener vs UCF, Samford has not allowed a point in the 2nd half (they have held, Jacksonville, Miles, Appalachian State, Western Carolina and Chattanooga scoreless after the half). Jumping on Samford early appears to be the key to beating them.

catamount man
October 13th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Furman
App
Western
Chatty

xthumbsupx

elcid03
October 13th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Furman
App
The Citadel
Nooga

PaladinFan
October 14th, 2009, 05:33 AM

I'd love to see Furman's offense take this as a challenge and put points on the board. So far this has been prototypical Bobby Lamb defense: get as many yards as you want between the 20s, but you aren't getting in the endzone.

Thus far, only Missouri has beaten us up on defense. They are young, but I think everyone was encouraged by what they saw against Elon.

LarryBoy
October 14th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Furman 27, Samford 13
App St. 41, Wofford 28
The Citadel 21, Western Carolina 10
Georgia Southern 35, Chattanooga 31

PaladinFan
October 14th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Furman 27, Samford 13
App St. 41, Wofford 28
The Citadel 21, Western Carolina 10
Georgia Southern 35, Chattanooga 31

If we can put 27 on that defense, I will be ecstatic about the rest of the year.

OLDMAIN80
October 14th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Winners:

Samford
Wofford
Western
GSU

Woof
October 14th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Samford at Furman- Barneys by 10.

Appalachian St. at Wofford- Nightmare revisited? While I like the fact that no one gives us a chance, Wofford fans still need to pack our Tums:pumpuke:

The Citadel at Western Carolina - Bullfrogs 35-7 winners.

Chattanooga at Georgia Southern- A Chatty team playing with some confidence? GSU by 3.

Flaming Pigeons- award themselves a Nat. Championship during bye week.:D

FUPaladins
October 14th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Winners:

Samford
Wofford
Western
GSU

On what do you base these conclusions?

xcoffeex

furpal87
October 14th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Okay,

I'll start at the worst game of the week:
Citadel at WCU: I just don't see any improvement out of Western, but was Citadel an aberration last week or the truth? I'll go in between 27-9 Bellhops
App St at Wofford: App State should start rolling soon right? Wofford could be in big trouble App 41-17
Chat at GSU: Interesting game, have no clue what to think. Chatt is much better, but if they're missing their best RB at GSu might be a lot to ask, but we'll give them enough to keep it close. GSU 37-34 in 2OT
Samford at FU: Can't wait to be there!! Homecoming at Furman is usually good Samford seems to have some offensive problems, week off may help. 27-6 Furman.

OL FU
October 14th, 2009, 04:08 PM

xcoffeex

I think he was picking the losersxthumbsupx

FUPaladins
October 14th, 2009, 05:17 PM
I think he was picking the losersxthumbsupx

I hope so. Hahaha

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 14th, 2009, 05:57 PM
It would be foolish to overlook GSU or Wofford. Both may not be capable of winning the conference but they are both capable of taking down any SoCon team.

GaSouthern
October 14th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Now that UTC's star running back is hurt, I might actually pick the eagles to win this weekend afterall.

chattanoogamocs
October 14th, 2009, 07:25 PM
It will alter the game plan some...but, he has only played in 2 games this season (plus 3 plays in the Samford game).

He has been oft injured in his career (sadly, I would love to see what he could have done healthy for two straight years). So, while it is not optimum for the Mocs, they are used to it...it will just put more weight on RB Chris Awuah.

elon77
October 14th, 2009, 07:32 PM
I'd love to see Furman's offense take this as a challenge and put points on the board. So far this has been prototypical Bobby Lamb defense: get as many yards as you want between the 20s, but you aren't getting in the endzone.

Thus far, only Missouri has beaten us up on defense. They are young, but I think everyone was encouraged by what they saw against Elon.

And we were equally encouraged by what we saw against The Citadel. After we beat Bye this week we will be 7-1.:D

Achilles Return
October 15th, 2009, 03:40 AM
Any of you nooga fans coming to paulson this week?

OL FU
October 15th, 2009, 06:40 AM
It would be foolish to overlook GSU or Wofford. Both may not be capable of winning the conference but they are both capable of taking down any SoCon team.

I agree. Doesn't mean I am going to pick them to win

OLDMAIN80
October 15th, 2009, 07:53 AM

xcoffeex

Just say I'm a big fan of the underdogxthumbsupx

OL FU
October 15th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Just say I'm a big fan of the underdogxthumbsupx

especially this yearxsmiley_wix

PaladinFan
October 15th, 2009, 08:00 AM

I certainly am not overlooking GSU or Wofford. Wofford is still a well coached disciplined team capable of sneaking up on you. GSU is still good on defense and can has the athletes to hang around.

blazrdog#1
October 15th, 2009, 09:16 AM
OMG,OMG,TOUCHDOWN BULLDOGS,TOUCHDOWN BULLDOGS,IT'S A ROUT,IT'S A ROUT,OMG,OMG,UNBELIEVABLE...THE PURPLE KNIGHTS ARE CRYING ON THE FIELD!!!!!!xeekxxeekxxeekxxrotatehxxrotatehxxbawli ngxxbawlingxxthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupxxbowxxbo wxxbowxxnodxxnodxxnodx:D:D

furman94
October 15th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Umm UNHWildcats do you have a twin? I'm thoroughly confused.

SCPALADIN
October 15th, 2009, 11:40 AM
OMG,OMG,TOUCHDOWN BULLDOGS,TOUCHDOWN BULLDOGS,IT'S A ROUT,IT'S A ROUT,OMG,OMG,UNBELIEVABLE...THE PURPLE KNIGHTS ARE CRYING ON THE FIELD!!!!!!xeekxxeekxxeekxxrotatehxxrotatehxxbawli ngxxbawlingxxthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupxxbowxxbo wxxbowxxnodxxnodxxnodx:D:D

Put down the crackpipe and slowly back away from the keyboard. xeyebrowx

longtimemocfan
October 15th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Any of you nooga fans coming to paulson this week?

Not sure how many are going to try and make it down. You will probably see more Moc fans than usual. If not for a work conflict would be there myself. I pass the stadium (Paulson) at least once a month on a work venture. But never on Saturday. :(