View Full Version : SLC Predictions - Week Seven

TexasTerror
October 11th, 2009, 08:45 AM
TT's Predictions
2007 Record: 46-14 (24-4 SLC)
2008 Record: 40-22 (9-18 SLC)
2009 Record: 27-9 (3-1 SLC)
Total: 113-45 (36-23 SLC)

Texas State-San Marcos @ Nicholls State - The Bobcats have a long trip to Nicholls and while the Colonels take to the ground, they showed against SHSU that they can move the ball down the field against a questionable secondary. I do question the Colonels ability to stop the Bobcats' offense and if the score goes high, it will be tough for the Colonels to win. TEXAS STATE - SAN MARCOS

Sam Houston State @ Southeastern La. - The Bearkats roll into Hammond seeking a 2-0 start to SLC play. The Lions had an emotional come-from-behind 'Stunner in San Marcos'. I've said it before, but Brian Babin is the most overlooked QB in this league. SHSU will need to get some early stops in order to build up an advantage and be successful on the ground. Do this and they win. I do like the Kats' ground game. Look for one of the kickers in this one to get the game-winner late. Just hope it's Miguel Antonio as a Bearkat fan. SAM HOUSTON STATE

Northwestern State @ McNeese State - McNeese needs to bounce back and Northwestern State seems to be the team to do it against. The Demons loss to UCA had to sting a bit for the Demons. Not that they lost, but how they did it and at home. The 'Peveto Promise' needs to be changed from fans enjoying those for two home games to just winning two games. McNEESE STATE

** GAME OF THE WEEK ** Stephen F. Austin @ Central Arkansas - The Lumberjacks had a great first half against McNeese at home. They now hit the road and while they are the favorite in many minds to win the league title - to be the best, you have to beat the best. UCA is not eligible for the championship, but until they are beaten, the top of the standings will be theirs to lose. Moses needs to play 60 minutes and be more consistent to win.CENTRAL ARKANSAS

BEAR
October 11th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Texas State-San Marcos @ Nicholls State- Texas State by 14. Texas State returns!
Sam Houston State @ Southeastern La.- Sam by 7. Sam's back!
Northwestern State @ McNeese State- McNeese by 21. An angry McNeese team will be fired up and NWST is in for a long game.
Stephen F. Austin @ Central Arkansas- TOSS UP. SFA offense vs. UCA defense with a sprinkle of offense. I can't determine which Coach Conque offense will be there because he's bringing in new players EVERY game! If the defense can keep it reasonable to around 28 pts, MAYBE UCA can pull it out. Homer says Bears by 3. xlolx

LIONFAN85
October 11th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Texas State vs. Nicholls-This game is close in the second half but George and the Bobcats pull it out. Thats if they change their punt formation which might the worst looking thing I've ever seen.

Sam vs. Southeastern-Back and forth game but Lions win this one in the forth quarter.

McNeese vs. NWST- Demons fall in this one on their way to starting 0-7 with a loss in against the Bobcats in week 8.

UCA vs. SFA- McNeese shows SFA can be stopped. I wouldn't call McNeese's defense as good as the Bear's.

xthumbsupxxthumbsupx

JohnStOnge
October 11th, 2009, 02:22 PM
I don't know what to think of McNeese. Nobody's been able to really stop their offense. But they've very possibly lost two games in a row now because of a plethera of foolish penalties. That's part of the game and if they don't stop that they're going to have problems all season.

And, no, in spite of the low point output (13), SFA did not stop McNeese's offense. The Cowboys had 24 first downs and 427 yards. It was the 10 penalties for 120 yards that mucked them up. And they happened at critical times.

One sequence kind of illusrates the way it went: Todd Pendland scored on a run of maybe 25 yards. But it was called back for holding. Next play McNeese hits a pass to get very near the first down. But they're called for dead ball personal foul. Next play McNeese hits another pass for a first down. But it gets called back for holding. Three major penalties on three consecutive plays that turned a promising drive into the Cowboys punting from around midfield.

It was just awful. It really was. That was a critical game that McNeese really should have gotten. Squeezing only 13 points out of over 400 yards of offense is really disappointing. Also terrible to see such a great effort by the defense...which held SFA to 13 first downs and 270 total yards...wasted.

Only bright side is maybe other squads can look at whatever McNeese started doing after SFA's first three drives so they can knock SFA off and put the Cowboys back in line for a shot at the automatic bid. SFA probably got about half its yards on its second and third offensive possessions when it scored its two TDs. After that the Lumberjacks could never move the ball consistently again. They made some individual plays but could never again keep moving the chains and driving.

BEAR
October 11th, 2009, 03:08 PM
So....what are your picks for next week? xconfusedx

JohnStOnge
October 11th, 2009, 04:07 PM
I'm so disappointed in what happened last night I don't feel like making any yet. I know I'm not taking anything for granted as far as McNeese is concerned.

Dallas Demon
October 11th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Texas State @Nicholls State - Texas State
Sam Houston @Southeastern - Southeastern
Northwestern State @McNeese State - McNeese State
Stephen F. Austin @Central Arkansas - Central Arkansas

McNeese75
October 11th, 2009, 07:58 PM
** GAME OF THE WEEK ** Stephen F. Austin @ Central Arkansas - The Lumberjacks had a great first half against McNeese at home. They now hit the road and while [B]they are the favorite in many minds to win the league title - to be the best, you have to beat the best. UCA is not eligible for the championship, but until they are beaten, the top of the standings will be theirs to lose. Moses needs to play 60 minutes and be more consistent to win.CENTRAL ARKANSAS

xrolleyesx Link? Anything at all? (besides your opinion)

Texas State (strange things happen in Thib but they should survive)
Southeastern (I think the Lions may not sleep any more)
McNeese (Homecoming and hopefully things will be corrected this week)
Central Arkansas (Conway, really good front 4 which I think is going to have Moses on the run. I say the Bears by 2 -3 Tds in this one.)

JohnStOnge
October 11th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Ok. I'll go ahead and pick.

Texas State. Nicholls State, alas, appears to be really bad this year.

Southeastern Louisiana. I guess after what they did against Texas State on the road I have to pick the Lions at home.

McNeese State. Even though the Cowboys showed they are capable of losing a game while completely dominating it in terms of moving the football and stopping the other team PLUS Pendland is out, they're playing at home and Northwestern State has had a rough year.

SFA at Central Arkansas. Unless the Lumberjacks were having a really bad day when they played McNeese so that the impression created was deceptive, the Lumberjacks are not that good. They had 270 yards of offense and gave up 427. The offense I'd heard so much about going in is not "all that" at all and UCA probably has a better defense than McNeese does. I also don't think UCA is going to do as much to help SFA as McNeese did. Lumberjacks get a reality check this week.

BobcatTXST04
October 11th, 2009, 09:54 PM
TXST @ Nicholls - 1st of 2 winnable conference games for us. Unless we're completely admitting defeat at this point (which it seems like we are) we should get a win.

Bobcats 35 - Colonels 31
(by the way, just in case we should bring this guy (http://swongled.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/streetfighterjeanclaudevandamme.jpg) along with us)

Sammy St. @ SELU - It's a tough pick honestly. The teams seem pretty evenly matched, so I think I'm going to go with SELU if only because they are coming off of a major come from behind win and should be playing inspired at home.

Lions 34 - Bearkats 24

NWSU @ McNeese - While the forum name is any given Saturday, I don't think this will be NWSU's. Look for the Cowboys to make a statement at home this weekend.

Cowboys 45 - Demons 17

Stephen F. Austin @ Central Arkansas - This is going to be a real test for both teams I think. SFA showed some weakness this past Saturday, so I'm liking UCA for this one.

Bears 38 - Jacks 31

msusig
October 12th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Texas State @ Nicholls State - Texas State
Sam Houston @ Southeastern - Sam Houston
Northwestern State @ McNeese State - McNeese State
Stephen F. Austin @ Central Arkansas - Central Arkansas

Hopefully Viator will coach our players and they will stop making stupid penalties. 3 penalties in a row and 2 by the same player, who also happens to be a senior, is completely unacceptable. I am going to go crazy if we lose another game in the 4th quarter because of a fumble.

FormerPokeCenter
October 12th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Texas State over Nicholls -
Southeastern over Sam Houston -
Northwestern over McNeese - Northestern puts it all together. McNeese gets flagged 14 times for 160 yards. McNeese game ball given to the player with the most penalties.
Central Arkansas over SFA -

El Gato
October 12th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Texas State vs. Nicholls. The Cats should have taken down the Lions no problem, but since the start of this year I have noticed Brian Babin to be quite an effective QB. To bad for the Colonels, they have no Babin and only their new mascot, M. Bison. Please stop ruining my record Bobcats and pull your head outta your a$$ and wake up. Bobcats by 17.

Sam vs. Southeastern. That Brian Babin still needs some work, but still an effective QB, or the horrible D of Texas State just made him stand out much more. Considering the Colonels put up their best offensive number against the cats this past week, I will venture to say that the Lions will give the Kats a fight. However, SHSU has been able to do something that Cats haven't figured out this year, and that is fight back and finish a game off. The Bearkats overcame a 14-14 tie against Nicholls to take it 41-21. When the Bison initiated their rally nearly toppling the Bearkat's they held on for a 48-45 win. Then there was the heartbreaking loss by a TD to Western Illinois where the Kats drove all the way to the 1 (with the controversial was he in the endzone call) and failed to punch it in three tries. So taking that into account coupled with Babin's success, this could very well be a great game to watch. SHSU by 7

McNeese vs. NWST- Ok, McNeese got punched in the mouth last week, but the Demons have not amounted to much this season and don't think it will happen here. McNeese looking for someone to beat down on by 35.

UCA vs. SFA- Yes, undoubtedly the game of the week in the SLC. SFA has the offense while UCA has not been that strong on this side of the ball. But the UCA Defense has been quite helpful in taking care of that problem. Outstanding offense against an even better defense...this one too will be fun to watch. SFA has the ability to win it, but showed some of that inconsistency last week against McNeese. UCA by 10.

DG Cowboy
October 12th, 2009, 02:56 PM
TX State
SLU
Which McNeese? App St/Savannah St McNeese over NW, Henderson/SFA McNeese goes down to NW.
UCA

TxState_GO_CATS!
October 12th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Coming in 27-9 for the year...

Texas State vs. Nicholls St...As much as I am not too happy about the TOTAL BRAIN FART known as my beloved 'Cats, I figure Nicholls will make it much easier on our STUPIDLY BAD defense and only force us to cover the run. Then again, we seem to lack defensive discipline which makes a dangerous recipe for the Nicholls Triple Option. Bobcats 42, Nicholls 35.

SHS vs. Southeastern LA. Battle of two not-great teams. I think the SELA Lions will exploit the very suspect Bearkat defense. Just run crossing routes all day long with Yarborough. SELA wins at home 35-24.

McNeese vs. NWST. McNeese didn't look horrible on tv. Defense actually looked decent...gotta fix the penalties. The Demons, on the other hand...McNeese 42-10

UCA vs. SFA. UCA is just a tad better than McNeese. SFA's defense is pretty good and could give the inexperienced UCA QB fits. Low scoring game, I'll go with the Bears. UCA 17-10

If I am right, that would make the SLC standings (after two weeks) look like this:

UCA 2-0
SFA 1-1
McNeese 1-1
SELA 1-1
Texas State 1-1
Sam Houston 1-1
Nicholls St. 0-2

GeauxLions94
October 12th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Last Week - 2-2
2009 Overall - 26-10 (2-2)

Texas State @ Nicholls State - The Battle for the Paddle features a pair of teams looking for their first victory. Bobcats blew 24-point lead at home and now play next two on the road. Colonels hung tough on the road against Sam Houston State and return home where they are 9-4 against Texas State. Make that 9-5 as Bobcats right the ship. TEXAS STATE

Sam Houston State @ Southeastern La. - Pair of 1-0 SLC teams are set to battle in Hammond as Lions celebrate homecoming. Sam Houston State pulled away to defeat Nicholls State in its league opener while Lions roared back from 24-points down in picking up first-ever win against Texas State. (xthumbsupx) Questions will be 1.) can Lions stop the Bearkat ground game and 2.) can SHSU stop Southeastern's aerial assault? Last two games have been decided by a combined seven points and look for another close one as Lions look for first-ever 2-0 league start. SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA

Northwestern State @ McNeese State - Throw the record (Northwestern State's) out the window as last four games in the series have been decided by a touchdown or less. The last three games in Lake Charles have been decided by 4, 5, and 6 points. Cowboys slipped up at Stephen F. Austin in their opener while Demons look to forget a 34-0 thumping by Central Arkansas. Look for Demons to keep it close, but Cowboys will pull away behind the play of Derrick Fourroux. MCNEESE STATE

Stephen F. Austin @ Central Arkansas - Is SFA for real? Jacks are ranked for first time since 2005 and can solidify their ranking with a win in Conway. UCA has won four straight after a loss at Hawaii and the Bear D will be tested by an explosive SFA offense. Agree with TT in this being the game of the week (it's the Southland TV Game of the Week). The teams played close last year in Nacogdoches and this one should be close again. CENTRAL ARKANSAS

TexasTerror
October 13th, 2009, 07:27 AM
As I told GL94 yesterday - I am concerned about the status of Blake Joseph for SHSU.

If he is not good to go, SLU wins the game. I'm going to change my pick if I find out that he's not ready. I have no faith in the SHSU backup QB (Randolph) and not really sure who else would be in line behind him since we're trying to redshirt all our true freshman.

txst80
October 13th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Texas State
Southeastern Lousiana
Mcneese
UCA

BEAR
October 13th, 2009, 09:05 PM
My biggest question for the UCA/SFA game is "even if UCA can hold SFA to the 20s or 30s in the point range, does UCA have enough offense to match that and does SFA have a good enough defense to keep that from happening?" I think if SFA has a good enough defense to keep it from happening, then this game may be a low scoring one in SFAs favor. It wouldn't surprise me if SFA won it and I wouldn't be too disappointed either. I would however be disappointed if "OUR" team did the things that gave SFA the game, like turnovers, missed tackles etc..xnodxxlolx

McNeese75
October 13th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Coming in 27-9 for the year...

Texas State vs. Nicholls St...As much as I am not too happy about the TOTAL BRAIN FART known as my beloved 'Cats, I figure Nicholls will make it much easier on our STUPIDLY BAD defense and only force us to cover the run. Then again, we seem to lack defensive discipline which makes a dangerous recipe for the Nicholls Triple Option. Bobcats 42, Nicholls 35.

SHS vs. Southeastern LA. Battle of two not-great teams. I think the SELA Lions will exploit the very suspect Bearkat defense. Just run crossing routes all day long with Yarborough. SELA wins at home 35-24.

McNeese vs. NWST. McNeese didn't look horrible on tv. Defense actually looked decent...gotta fix the penalties. The Demons, on the other hand...McNeese 42-10

UCA vs. SFA. UCA is just a tad better than McNeese. SFA's defense is pretty good and could give the inexperienced UCA QB fits. Low scoring game, I'll go with the Bears. UCA 17-10

If I am right, that would make the SLC standings (after two weeks) look like this:

UCA 2-0
SFA 1-1
McNeese 1-1
SELA 1-1
Texas State 1-1
Sam Houston 1-1
Nicholls St. 0-2

xrolleyesx Short memory??? xwhistlex

TxState_GO_CATS!
October 13th, 2009, 09:37 PM
xrolleyesx Short memory??? xwhistlex

believe me...i've tried to forget. xsmhxxsmhx:D

K, SELA 2-0. I'll fix it.

FormerPokeCenter
October 14th, 2009, 09:46 AM
My biggest question for the UCA/SFA game is "even if UCA can hold SFA to the 20s or 30s in the point range, does UCA have enough offense to match that and does SFA have a good enough defense to keep that from happening?" I think if SFA has a good enough defense to keep it from happening, then this game may be a low scoring one in SFAs favor. It wouldn't surprise me if SFA won it and I wouldn't be too disappointed either. I would however be disappointed if "OUR" team did the things that gave SFA the game, like turnovers, missed tackles etc..xnodxxlolx

I would be shocked if SFA won. Truly shocked. I don't think it's gonna be close, either...

Profided that you don't shoot yourselves in both feet and get flagged for 120 yards in penalties, or have turnovers, I see you guys blowing them out...

McNeese72
October 14th, 2009, 11:39 AM
I would be shocked if SFA won. Truly shocked. I don't think it's gonna be close, either...

Profided that you don't shoot yourselves in both feet and get flagged for 120 yards in penalties, or have turnovers, I see you guys blowing them out...

I was more impressed with SFA's defense, especially a lineman and one or two of the linebackers, than I was of their offense.

Even though we lost, I wasn't all that impressed with SFA. I thought they would be better than what they showed.

Doc

buckp
October 14th, 2009, 12:09 PM
I'll go with Bobcraps, Half-kats and Billybear. I will also like the Pokes - providing that the team plays backwards so that when we get penalized 300 yards, the team is going in the right direction! xeekx xthumbsupx

BEAR
October 16th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Bump......(it got lost in the back so I thought I'd bump it up to see if anymore predicitons would come in.) xlolx

SFA 71
October 16th, 2009, 05:04 PM
I was more impressed with SFA's defense, especially a lineman and one or two of the linebackers, than I was of their offense.

Even though we lost, I wasn't all that impressed with SFA. I thought they would be better than what they showed.

Doc

Apparently they showed enough to beat you. What more do you want. Did you ever think maybe they just played up to the level of their opponent.:o

BEAR
October 16th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Hey SFA 71...

You coming to Conway? This game is a huge toss up! If you guys win, I wouldn't be surprised..xnodx

SFA 71
October 16th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Hey SFA 71...

You coming to Conway? This game is a huge toss up! If you guys win, I wouldn't be surprised..xnodx

Thank's for the invite but 11 hours & 25 minutes driving 666 miles doesn't exactly sound too appealing to me. I think I'll watch it on the computer.
:o

McNeese72
October 16th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Apparently they showed enough to beat you. What more do you want. Did you ever think maybe they just played up to the level of their opponent.:o

I stand by what I said. Even though you beat us, I thought you guys would be better than what I saw, especially on offense.

I really wasn't impressed. If we wouldn't have committed all the stupid penalties, you guys would have had a real hard time beating us.

Doc

P.S. You better up the level of what you played this past week or UCA is going to do a number on you.

SFA 71
October 16th, 2009, 10:23 PM
P.S. You better up the level of what you played this past week or UCA is going to do a number on you.

They only let me play when we are way ahead, so I'm not too worried about them doing a number on me either way.

McNeese75
October 16th, 2009, 10:55 PM
They only let me play when we are way ahead, so I'm not too worried about them doing a number on me either way.

xlolx

BEAR
October 16th, 2009, 11:11 PM

92 - 0 far enough? xeekxxdohx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Purple Pride
October 17th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Thank's for the invite but 11 hours & 25 minutes driving 666 miles doesn't exactly sound too appealing to me. I think I'll watch it on the computer.

It's on TV. xthumbsupx

SFA 71
October 17th, 2009, 01:01 PM
It's on TV. xthumbsupx

That would be nice but it's not on here in Victoria. Unbelievably, Victoria, 66,000, doesn't show it but Edna, 5,000 ( 24 miles east of here ) does show it.:( Victoria, 66,000, doesn't get home delivery of the Houston Chronicle but Hallettsville, 5,000, 45 miles north of here does. xconfusedx

SFA 71
October 17th, 2009, 09:22 PM
I was ready to go in tonight but UCA spoiled my plans by scoring those 10 points in the final minute. Man I was ready to go.

TexasTerror
October 18th, 2009, 07:12 AM
2-2 week.

Should have changed my prediction based on what I said about Joseph earlier in the post about him not being good, the Bearkats not being able to do well.

Oh well - perhaps this coming week will be more predictable...?

McNeese75
October 18th, 2009, 10:44 AM
3-1 this week with a miss on the UCA - SFA game. Sounds like the Bears had their share of shooting themselves in the foot with penalties, ets (like some other team did last week). Cudos to the Jacks for driving the field and getting the winning FG in Conway. IF SFA goes clean and takes the title they have some good road warrior games under their belt for the postseason.

BEAR
October 18th, 2009, 01:29 PM
3-1 this week with a miss on the UCA - SFA game. Sounds like the Bears had their share of shooting themselves in the foot with penalties, ets (like some other team did last week). Cudos to the Jacks for driving the field and getting the winning FG in Conway. IF SFA goes clean and takes the title they have some good road warrior games under their belt for the postseason.

Bingo.xlolx

crossfire07
October 18th, 2009, 01:30 PM
those games won't do them much good in Montana.

McNeese75
October 18th, 2009, 10:33 PM
those games won't do them much good in Montana.

Sure it will. If SFA is clicking on offense and they are as opportunistic (:D nice way of saying it) as they have been the last two weeks they will cause anyone fits unless weather (heavy rain or snow) throws a wrench in the works.